Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Querida Enemiga Tuesday July 15, '08 "And I Shaved My Legs For This?"


Getting started on this a little later than usual....family crisis. And hey, that's what this evening was about too! So on with the show.....

Yesterday's episode ended with Sara bracing Barbara about her infidelity. Barbara knows when she's licked and says" Okay, you win." We get to see Sara gloat for the umpteenth time. By the way, is anyone else annoyed by the way they do Sara's lipstick? They extend it way beyond her lower lip to try and make her mouth more sensual. I hate that.

Okay, back to the business at hand. While sad music plays in the background, we see Zulema pinching out the candles (symbolic of the flame going out in her marriage?), clearing the table and wondering where in the world her husband can be?( I've had a few nights like that, so this was not a fun scene for me.)

When he does finally get home, he seems oblivious to her snazzy hairdo and glad rags, is too tired to eat, goes straight to the TV and is entranced by some blonde babelicious doing a hoochi-coochie dance with a partner. He drinks a little wine but then announces his intention to go right to sleep after the show is over. Zulema puts back the sexy black nightie she was about to pull from the drawer, and sees that the evening is going to be a dead loss. If you've ever heard the country song " And I shaved my legs for this?" you'll know what she's feeling.

The evening is going a little better at Maruja's house. Vasco, Diana, Julian and Rosy are having a rollicking game of cards. Julian wins and declares himself lucky at both cards and love. Maruja decides to join the game and proposes they play something where five can play because she doesn't want to separate the "couple" Vasco and Diana. There's an embarrassing pause and then Diana explains that she and Vasco are just friends.

After they leave, Maruja is afraid she made them uncomfortable. Julian explains that Diana is pregnant and while the biological father is going to recognize the baby and support it financially, that's as far as it goes.

Rosy makes an impassioned speech about what's wrong with "the way things are"..the woman has the baby, raises it and educates it but the father gets his name put on it. Mom reminds her it wouldn't be good for the baby to feel rejected by it's father.

Well, here's Alonso at it again, asking Lorena to marry him. And hey, she isn't even pregnant! There's no doubt in his mind that she's the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with. No more good-byes, they can spend their nights together. She promises to think about it. This romantic moment (not) is interrupted by the cell phone...It's Paula having another hissy fit about Bettina spending too much time with Dario and that Jaqui wench.

So presumably Alonso drops off Lorena so he can go do therapy with big sister. Dario's robbing me of Bettina's affection, she shrieks. Do you want her to hate her dad? Well, he deserves it! He threw me over and is treating this woman like a queen. He reminds her she needs to remake her life. Like everything else with Paula, this falls on deaf ears.

Back at Maruja's Rosy and her mom are trying to find out more from Lorena, now that she's spilled the beans that Vasco is Hortensia Armendariz's grandson and is living with Zulema and tio Omar.

And now one of our icky scenes with Barbara and Arturo in bed. Fortunately they are only talking. Barbara is fuming about Vasco losing out on part of his inheritance to the scheming Sara and wondering how on earth she could have found out about Barbara's affair. And she certainly hasn't stuck with her husband all these years in order to be done out of some inheritance by that sneaky chit of a girl!

Sara gets a phone call from Chalo. He wants to celebrate her getting in the will but she refuses to do anything until she actually sees it signed in the lawyer's office. He chuckles that she'd better pack her bags 'cause she'll have to go live with her "real parents" for a while.

Alonso's dad is sitting at the breakfast table in his jammies complaining about the newspaper and his depressing life. Alonso suggests he go out with him. He's picking up Bettina for an outing and Gramps is eager to go along.

Right about now, Bettina is getting busted. Mom realizes she's got on lip gloss, starts fuming when she finds out it's from Jaqui. Bettina stomps off and Paula muses that it's impossible to get along with teenagers.

Jaqui, on the other hand, is in seventh heaven, planning a wedding that she would like to be in all the society pages. Bruno is giving her carte blanche to do anything she wants and finally she puts the magazine down and they go at it...kissing- wise. If we come up with a kissing meter like we did for crying, this has to be one of the worst ever. They look like they're eating each other.

Now a light-hearted interlude at the skating rink. Gramps falls a few times but ends up looking pretty adept on the ice, skating with Bettina. Lorena wobbles and hangs tightly onto Alonso. Tinkly happy music plays in the background.

Julian and Omar are watching TV. Julian knows things turned out badly the other night, but heard his mother remind Diana that this is a couple's problem, no one else can solve it. Julian looks worried.

Zulema is out walking with Vasco and Diana but is clearly still preoccupied with the romantic fiasco last night. Is it another woman? No, she's sure it's not that. Omar's not the type. But she's afraid he sees her as old. Vasco's ready to jump in and talk to Omar "man to man". And he assures Zulema he's never seen a couple get along as well as she and Omar do....not even his parents! (Poor Vasco, he's in for a rude awakening on that relationship).

Back at Evil Acres, Hortensia is getting ready to sign the will. There's a little fake tension when she hesitates, before the ad, and we're led to think she might not do it, but sure enough, after a gazillion ads for this and that, she puts pen to paper and it's a done deal.

Barbara arrives from her little hot sheets afternoon and actually has the b....s to say she was with her friend whose husband gave her a new car whereas Julian hasn't given her a new one for two years! Nervy woman! Julian tells her brusquely that he hasn't got time for this, granny's in the library signing a new will leaving a good chunk of cash to Sara. And our little chippy is at Hortensia's side, gloating as usual, and hoping she won't have to wait too long to enjoy her inheritance.

Now a little meeting of the sadder-but-wiser gals....Paula, Greta and Maruja. Greta's fanning the flames, pointing out if Jaqui's scoring points with just a little lip gloss, what's gonna happen when she gives Bettina a dress? Paula's going ballistic. Greta urges her to get it out...get it ALL out. Paula pounds pillows (I've done this too...it works) and feels better. When Maruja reminds her she vowed to get over Dario, she replies "Yes, but only after I've had my vengeance.

More card games. Lorena, Bettina, Alonso and Grandpa. I don't even know card games in English so I'm not going to speculate on what they're playing but Bettina wins. Lorena confides that Mother Trinidad was a real card shark and organized poker parties with the townies.

Julian and Diana are back at the house watching TV musing on their parent's marital problems. Diana wonders "why men are so insensitive" and Julian protests the generalization. Like you're such a romantic!, she laughs. But they both conclude...it's a couple's problem.

One couple who seems to be enjoying themselves are Chalo and Sara, celebrating with champagne in plastic cups. Chalo wants to get busy, Sara momentarily protests his brutal rushing but then seems to enjoy it. We see the moon and then the morning and know that another night has passed.

And guess who's at the gate again, insisting that TODAY Sara must go meet her parents. Sara does a little pouting but then concludes that maybe she should go meet them. But it would be best if she could do it without the brother and sister there. Could Lorena get them out of the way? Lorena is sure she can.

Back at Evil Acres, Hortensia, looking worse than usual (and that's saying something) is complaining about not having slept a wink all night. Damn that potato peeler anyway! Jaime thinks maybe they should be the ones to break the news. Hortensia thinks that's a stupid idea, typical of all Jaime's stupid ideas. Sara arrives at that moment and meekly says she's going to find her parents today and will do all she can to keep them from wreaking vengeance on Granny and Uncle. Wish me luck, she adds sweetly.

After she leaves, Hortensia assures Jaime that Sara's cold-blooded enough to handle the situation as well as anyone can. She figures now that Sara's in the will, she'll do everything she can to protect them....quid pro quo!

Back at Zulema's house, our good fairy Lorena is trying to orchestrate the long-awaited meeting with Sara. She's been cooking with Zulema and when Julian invites mom to go out with him and Rosy, Lorena jumps in and says "No!". Hastily explaining that there's really so much to do in preparing for tomorrow's meal that Zulema needs to stay.

There's another hitch, Omar is at Lagunillos (a flea and antiques market in Mexico City, big visiting day is Sunday). Third hitch. Vasco likes to lie around on Sundays and read; Diana likes to relax at home on Sundays also. When Lorena refuses to tell them why she wants them to leave there's a little problem...Diana doesn't like secrets. But this is something good, Lorena protests. I wouldn't ask you if it weren't important.

We have a brief break from this for more Paula/Bettina quarreling. Paula wants to know if Bruno and Jaqui are getting married. Bettina pouts that she doesn't know and runs off.

The drama starts building. Lorena reminds Zulema about how she lost her daughter. Zulema tears up and wonders why Lorena is bringing this up. Because your daughter is alive, and she's my best friend!

Tension is broken again with a little scene with Alonso and Dad in the car. Dad's blithely assuring Alonso he's doing great driving until Alonso reminds him about the poor dog he almost hit. The owner's fault, retorts Dad. Why didn't they control their dog? Whereupon he almost runs into another car. That's it. Alonso's taking the keys. He can't let Dad risk his own life or that of others.

Back to our drama. Zulema looks like she's having a heart attack trying to assimilate this news. And as the truth begins to dawn, so does the rage. How could they make me believe my baby was dead?! Who tore my baby out of my arms?...Hortensia! And what baby did we bury? She's devastated thinking about someone robbing her of her daughter, her love.

Yes, but God is blessing you now, says our perky little Lorena, Sara is alive. Next reasonable question....why is she living with Hortensia? Well, that was the only information she had, explains Lorena. Madre Asuncion was the one who told her about her grandmother.

This is a very emotional scene, well played by the actress portraying Zulema. It's painful and intense. Now we get a shot of Sara, casually lounging around outside, awaiting a call from Lorena. When it comes, she straightens up, vows to give the acting performance of her life, and heads for the house.

She enters with a tremulous little smile, appearing to be as moved as Zulema is and falls into her arms. My daughter, my little daughther, sobs Zulema, holding her close.

And that's it for tonight folks.

Vocabulary:

1. uña y mugre= (literally fingernail and grime) thick as thieves

2. contringante=opponent (in card game)

3. no seas aguado=don't be a drag, don't be boring (Bettina persuading Grandpa to try skating)

4. en el filo de la navaja= on the razor's edge, on the knife's edge (Hortensia complaining about their situation with Omar and Zulema finding out about their daughter)

5. no pegar el ojo en toda la noche=not sleep a wink all night (Hortensia)

6. hoja santo=herb indigenous to Mexico, tastes like sassafras or rootbeer. (what Lorena and Zulema were using when cooking fish in the kitchen)

7. La Lagunilla=flea market with antiques in Mexico City (where Omar was when Lorena dropped her bombshell)

Labels:


Comments:
Love the title JudyB, and thanks for getting this done so quickly! Whenever I recap I end up finishing the next day, and usually have to split it!

Why hasn't anyone noticed that Barbie hasn't had any lipo done? Are they all supposed to be that clueless? Is she supposed to be swollen and that's why there is no difference? Something would have looked different no?

For a moment, Omar asked Zuli if it was their anniversary and she said no. If it were me, I would have said "Duh!!!!" Maybe Lore should add Zuli and Omar to the folks she sends to Toribio for therapy.

From tomorrow's previews, it looks like Omar's gonna open a can of whoop-ass on his evil relatives.
 

Thanks for the recap JudyB. It will be interesting to see how Sara manipulates her "parents." It's too bad it will be months before Sara's swap is revealed b/c Omar and Zulema are going to be livid (as well as Snorty).

ITA with you Margarita but I think the only person who should notice Barb's lipo is Jaime and we know he's not that fast.
 

I'm totally mystified by that whole lipo thing, myself.

Even if everyone else was totally clueless, you'd think her own husband would notice that there was something not-different about her. I mean, at the very least, the procedure must leave some kind of mark for a little while? I guess?
 

Ha ha! Love your title!! Poor Zuli, I know how she feels, except I was never as nice as she was about it. In fact she was too wimpy. Get a backbone girlfriend!! I'm pretty mad at Omar after tonight. Plus he lied; no way Vasco kept him that late. Where was he?

I'll bet in the scene where gramps was skating well he wasn't wearing skates at all. Did you notice they didn't actually show his feet?

Aren't we girls supposed to be lusting after the galán? Alonso is such a drip I think I would have dumped his ass by now. Gah, I can't believe I said that.

Yeah, that lipo thing bugs me too. Barbara's not limping, she's not sore, doesn't it hurt or something? I knew a girl who had thigh lipo and she had to wear some sort of thigh wraps for a while. A few years later the cellulite all came back even though she worked out like crazy. It's the curse of genetics I suppose.

Thanks Judy!
 

Well, we don't know where she supposedly had her lipo done...belly, thighs, butt?...Brazil? All of the above?

But yes, I had a friend who had it done and hearing about the procedure made my hair stand on end.

First of all, imagine standing while some young intern crouching under your legs, swabs them with some kind of antibiotic goo. Not a pretty picture! (not for him either)

Then afterwards, yes, she had to wear some kind of tight corset thing for some time to hold the
tissue in place.

However, we must assume that regardless of sharing the same bed, Barbarella never allows Jaime to get close to her, especially "au naturel".

And finally, as you've noticed, the poor guy is clueless. And certainly no one else in the household cares.

And speaking of that, where is poor Matilde? Still in the hoosegow being interrogated by the Polizei?
 

Ps I always wake up at 3 am with thoughts spinning around my head and this time I found myself wondering how the usually affectionate (if not sexy) Omar could be so cruelly dense and clueless about Zulema's big night preparations.

I decided he really must have an ED problem and faked the confusion and then fascination with the blonde dancer to avoid an obvious performance failure.

Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense. Ooooops...forgot...it doesn't have to....this is telenovela world.
 

Thanks, JudyB. I have to go to work, but I had to let you know how much I liked your title. I felt really bad for Zul who is a sweet. likable mother figure [the direct opposite of the Evil Crabiella from Fuego.] It must be a bummer to wear all that padding. Sylvia^^^I agree that Alonslo inspires nothing in me....nor does anyone else in this show...maybe Dario sparks a little interest in me ...but just a little . Now , watching Fuego's Mighty Joe Juan whipped and feverish.....where was I?????. Well, I'm late for work, so I'll have to read the recap later.
 

Thanks all of you who liked the title. I've always loved the title of that country song and wanted to use it in my aerobics class just for the lyrics. Alas, the melody is like a dirge...wouldn't inspire nobody no way to "go for the burn".
 

I didn't even know it was a song! I just saw your title and thought "I know the feeling." Poor Zulema.

I just hope her and Omar's problems aren't leading us to a bunch of "message episodes" about self-esteem and droopy dingdong treatments. I know "messages" are often part of the telenovela (and soap) experience and I don't really object, but on the other hand I don't think I could take a double-whammy. Seems like one medical-issue poster child per marriage ought to be enough.

As for Zulema's sad face, I wish she had simply told him it was their anniversary and that he was required to put out for her. :)
 

I wish Zulema had told Omar it was their anniversary. He is such a nice guy, surely he would at least have come home for dinner.
Guess I'm just old but I think he is the sexiest man on the show!
 

Great recap Judy, I totally agree about the lipstick on Sara. A while back, they showed a close up of her and she was going on about how she was going to do something or other evil and I said to my wife "maybe she should learn how to put on lipstick first." I noticed it on the upper lip actually, it was drawn halfway up to her nose.

I wondered about the lip too, she even still has a small roll of fat under her tight sweater. She's not fat by any means, but I would expect a post-lipo person to be bone thin. And why would you have to go to RIO to get it done? Ah well whatever.

About Grandpa skating, Sylvia I agree with you. Since the whole scene was turning into a Benny Hill kind of thing, I expected them to show Grandpa getting along fine just then, then panning down to show him wearing boots or something. No way did he have skates on.

I have a hard time believing that Omar actually didn't know if it was their anniversary or not. I realize days come and go and you might forget while occupied with something else, but by the time the actual thought of "is this my anniversary" pops up anyone who can read a calendar knows the answer. This year I forgot it was my birthday the day of, it was a work day and we didn't have any plans, but I didn't have to ask anyone "is it my birthday?" Just kind of ridiculous. Especially after showing how sensitive he is for the last few weeks. I think he just doesn't want to have sex with a fatty, he even CALLS her that, and they haven't had that conversation yet. Not saying he's right, just saying.
 

Well, Julie...we'll see if this develops into a message with ED. I'm dying to know.

And Emily, YES! of course Omar is the cutest. Those crinkles around the eyes enchant me.

Ferro, glad you noticed the lipstick too...it's one of my pet peeves and they do it a lot on actresses who don't want to go the collagen route I guess.

On the "gordita" thing that Omar calls her, that actually is a term on endearment in Spanish. There's a darling song called "Mi Gordita Linda" but it's also used commonly in speech. As I understand it, it's little like calling someone my little darling or my dear.
 

Well I can say with certainty that I know ONE Mexican woman who would not take being called "Gordita" lightly! And since she shares my bed I'm not going to risk that.
 

Even if it's a common and affectionate nickname, "Gordita" probably stings if you are already hung up on feeling fat.

I don't think it has ever crossed her mind that the problem might be something about Omar himself, and not about her.

I mean, maybe that is the problem and maybe it isn't; but I don't think she's entertained any other possibility.

For all we know, Omar might have some insecurity of his own that's keeping his pants on. Not necessarily ED. Maybe concern about wrinkles or something... I don't know, it seems like there's an endless supply of things you can feel badly about.

Some people can barely even identify their own problems, never mind discuss them with someone else, so it wouldn't be strange if he didn't realize something was wrong, even if the problem was on his side.

But Zulema's taking the "I'm fat" theory and running with it anyway. So to speak.
 

Great recap Judy, thanks a lot!

I was also a little bit off with Omar's attitude. What's wrong with the guy! Is it something about "Men are from Mars and Women are fron Venus"?
There was a perenial joke how man can't guess what woman want - she has to tell him! That's it - she should had told him!

The skating and falling grandpa got me seriously worried! No way you can have so much fun falling on your aching back in his age! Even though his son is a doctor! Those falls usually are followed with hip or knee replacement surgeries.

Come to think of Barbie - I don't know if she has any marital relationships with her husband for some time. Probably not! And he is always so down after taking bs from his dear mommy ( and it happens on a regular basis) so it's hard to notice anything else, including non- existing lipo.

I feel sorry for Betina - her dear mommy have to be isolated from her!
 

I also agree with "gordita" comment - as soon as Zulema hears it - she feels down. No way I would take it!
By the way, I like this actress, she shows her emotions very good.
 

I wish Paula could hear how she sounds when she talks to Bettina. At this point Jacqui is a more nurturing "mom" her than Paula is. The poor kid is going to run away from home or worse if she has to put up with much more of this.
 

Julie, I don't think that Betina is a complete "run away from home" case - she just will be "run away to her dad's new family". Apparentely, as you mentioned, Jackie found the right tone in this situation. I don't know, but Jackie is getting better in my eyes with every episode.
 

Well, this is generating a very good discussion about physical insecurities and communication problems.

I've been told the four words men most dread to hear are not THERE'S SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED, but rather WE NEED TO TALK.

Ferro, I'll let you field that one as our resident man on this line. I do know my husband gets a vague panicky look on his face whenever he hears this (in fact I just don't bother any more).

But anyway, check with your gorgeous wife, Ferro...I know she's beautiful and a native speaker, right? so ask her how she feels about that particular word..."gordita".

I often call my grandchildren "chubbins" or "chunklet" but I imagine I will drop that as they get past baby/toddler age. But the thin obsession is much greater in America than it is in Hispanic countries, as I understand.

But sometimes we just don't know how statements come across to people and Julie, you make a very good point about that.

I teach some of my classes in a large gym and one day a student appeared whom I hadn't seen in several years. And since I have some astigmatism and don't see faces clearly at a distance, I came up to her and said "Oh, I didn't recognize you at first".

She went home and cried for three hours and almost didn't come back to class the next day.

Why? Because she had gained 30 pounds in the interim. Did I see it? NO. She's tall, carries it well, and I don't notice moderate gains in weight and on a person her height...that WAS a moderate gain.

I was horrified when I understood her misinterpretation and so Julie, I think you're right...even if "gordita" is an affectionate term, it would NOT feel that way to someone who was already having "self-downing" thoughts about their body image.

In a perfect world, we would all appreciate and honor the bodies we have, and always treat others with utmost compassion and respect. "Ojala!"
 

Hmmm...didn't see those comments on Jacqui when I was writing my reply.

The writers pulled a real switcheroo on us with that one. In the earlier episodes, Jacqui rolled her eyes and grimaced at the thought of having Dario's kid around.

But recently she's showed warmth, tact and lots of supportive comments....with no eye-rolling that I can see.

Is this an improvement in character or a sly strategy until she actually gets that big expensive society wedding and a ring on her finger?

(Sorry to be so cynical)...this may be a for-real character improvement that will eventually lead to an equal maturity in Paula.
 

Oh and Eve...really found your e-mail about multiple languages interesting.

Sent you a reply but my hotmail is goofy today so don't know for sure if you will get it.
 

Ugh 'we need to talk' double ugh.

I think I, as a man, hate that because it means that the person saying it has spent endless hours/days/discussions with harpy friends about it before bringing it up. So before the first word is spoken, we know that it has been hashed over to death and the outcome has been decided by angry bitter female support group to be 'his fault.' I know I'm generalizing here, but really that's a big part of it. If there is a problem or whatever, just say it. Give me a chance to respond without my guilt being predetermined. So when you say you just don't bother any more, I say good for you! We men don't panic at the thought of there being a problem or whatever, it's the problem being blown out of proportion that bugs us. Tell us, let us do what we can about it, and let's move on.

As for the Gordita thing, I responded to that already, I said - Well I can say with certainty that I know ONE Mexican woman who would not take being called "Gordita" lightly! And since she shares my bed I'm not going to risk that.

Lastly, I think most men perk up at the words "some assembly required," I know I do. Let me get my tools!
 

I see my comment sounding much angrier than I intended, my wife's friends aren't harpies, I described it all that way to explain the initial reaction. Things don't always turn out that way but they COULD and thus the panic.
 

Well, I too would rather assemble something than hear "we need to talk." "We need to talk" means "I'm about to blindside you with something you had no idea I was thinking about." Good news never starts with "we need to talk."

And "we need to talk" sometimes means "I need to talk." It's fine if you need to talk - really. I'll listen. But if you say "we" then I assume that means you want me to talk too. If you don't, then don't say "we."

Ahem, possibly a personal issue, there. :)

-------

Yes, I did mean Bettina would "run away" to Dario's place... I didn't mean like run away into the woods or join the French Foreign Legion or anything like that. :) Just run away from Paula, or heaven forbid act out in some self-destructive private way.

I can't tell whether Jacqui is being sincere or not. But from B's perspective, it's got to be nice to have someone showing her some personal attention instead of just pumping her for information about Dad.
 

Thanks for that input Ferro. I'm not sure there's always been a rehash with girlfriends (harpy or otherwise) but for sure, there's been too much obsessing going on in one's own head and that never leads to good things.

IT'S TAKEN ME YEARS TO LEARN THIS!!!!

Should have talked to you sooner, good buddy.

I don't think men hash over relationship problems like women tend to do.

I remember when my brother was going through a difficult divorce he used to call me because he needed to talk and be listened to. He said the problem with his guy friends is they would just say "Ah, she's a bitch. Forget her!"

He needed a bit more than that, so thank God he had two sisters!
 

Yeah Judy, unfortunately us men and our "fix it or forget it" attitude can lead to bad solutions like your brother experienced.

There is a definite difference though, in general, in our approaches to problems, relationship or otherwise. You can even see it in this show - I guarantee that if Paula just dropped it and didn't act like a huge bitch, Dario would be fine with everything in about 24 hours. "Don't know why things changed but they did - ok by me!"
 

Whoops Julie...I missed your comment while I was typing mine. I just now imagined how I would feel if someone said to me "We need to talk" and yikes, you're right, I immediately felt a sinking sensation in my stomach. Same as when someone says "The boss wants to see you". Ooooh...not good feelings.

On the other hand "some assembly required" gives me feelings of ABSOLUTE TERROR. Even with the sinking sensation, I'd have to chose "we need to talk" or "the boss wants to see you" over that.

I envy your and Ferro's handy qualities. Wanna come live at my house?
 

Wow...this is fun. Almost like instant messaging (not that I know how to do that).

Yes, I'm amazed at how quickly guys can let things go. And I'm working on it!

My mother, who could hold a grievance for 50 years, used to say to me "I just don't understand it! Dad and your brother can have a knock down drag out fight (verbal...strictly verbal) and five minutes later, they're laughing about something and getting along great."

As a general rule (I'm sure to get in trouble for saying this) women take harsh words or hurtful actions much more personally than men do, and it takes them much longer to heal.

Something I read in a Forgiveness book by Fred Luskin really helped. He said "Other people don't always have your best interests at heart".

When I'm hurt by someone's seeming lack of care, I just say that to myself and it takes the "sting" out of it immediately.

Emotional bactine. I love it!
 

I can offer a reason for one side of the difference, why guys can forget so quickly. I don't have a theory on why women can't.

The reason we forget quickly is that we spend most of our lives doing things we don't want to do, like going to work, doing yard work, taking out the trash, cleaning the garage, etc. All things that need to be done, but what we really want to spend our time on is Sports, TV, video games, and hobbies. Anything that gets in the way of that is quickly discarded. Hmmm - spend hours and hours thinking over an argument I had, or watch the Cubs game? Easy choice.
 

Glad to know you're a Cubs fan. So is my husband dating from his days of growing up in Elgin.

Off to teach a Stretch n Flex class now. This has been fun.

Thanks to all who've generated such an interesting discussion today, Margarita, Karen, Eve. Sylvia, Mad Buns Susanlynn, Julie and Ferro.

The blog lines are more fun than the telenovela these days.
 

Judy, I've got your e-mail, thanks.

Yeah, I also would be worried with "We need to talk!" Oh-oh, what did I do wrong this time? - like in childhood.

The biggest difference between men an women , as Ferro mentioned, "fix it or forget it" attitude - women just don't have it. At least, most of them don't. And unfortunately not everything could be fixed.

I like this scene with Paula, Greta and Maruja, when Paula went completely bonkers, others were just watching her, waiting till the end and didn't say a thing! That's the difference between attitudes! Unfortunately, even if anything was told to Paula, it would land on a dead ear anyway. May be that's where the root is - nobody want's this "fixing"!
 

I should add the disclaimer that I like putting together cheap furniture and that sort of thing, and I can (grumpily) do minor wiring and plumbing stuff to prevent a costly service call, but I'm not especially good at any of those things. There's always some piece I end up putting on backwards or upside-down.

Anything that requires sharp eyes or precise alignment is going to come out sloppy.

If I have to let something "dry overnight" before proceeding to the next step, it will probably dry for three to five years before I get around to picking it up again.

I'm not good with a hammer, either. And do not ever hand me a soldering iron, or a tube of superglue. (There's no anecdote behind that, just a sense of dread as I contemplate the possibilities.)
 

I don't recall Emilia ever pulling that "we need to talk" thing on me. Maybe that's one reason we're going on 35 years together. Our anniversary's easy to remember: ten years and one day after Kennedy's assassination. Morbid? Sure, but's it's also an effective memory aid.

Two quotes from historical figures may apply here:

Freud: "What does woman want?"

Mike's Mom: "Women are one another's natural enemies."

Ferro, spot on, buddy. Let me get my tools and a couple of cold beers and I'll be glad to help with required assembly.
 

Mike, if you have been married that long that puts you about 20 years (or more) older than me, so I feel that much more certain that my points here are truly male and not generational.

One followup to my 'doing things we don't want to do' list, they become perfectly acceptable activities if they can be done with a radio playing a ball game on at the same time.
 

Awwwww..... Ain't my hubby sweet??
 

Wow!!!!I finally am home from work and have had a chance to read all the comments...very interesting. First, about the term ''gordita.'' I had a young husband and wife from Colombia in class a few years ago. Magdalina was of average build but her hubby Fernando called her ''Gordita.'' Fernando was a nice guy by the way. When I told her that American women would not be charmed if their hubs called them ''Little Fatty'', she said that it was a term of endearment in her culture. And, to add to the discussion of men vs. women, I just read an article that stated that new research has shown that in men , one side of the brain [can't remember which side] is bigger than the other. However, in women, the two sides of the brain are more equal in size. Also, the sides of the brains of gay men are of a more equal size. So there could be some acrtual physical reasons for the differences between male and female personalities. Other research has shown that girls are more verbal than boys. Baby girls often talk earlier than baby boys. Hub and I talk things over a lot and always have, but I don't like to hear ''We have to talk'' from anyone because it usually means that there is a problem or I'm going to get some bad news. Also, studies have shown that men and women deal with grief differently . Men tend to accept the loss of a loved one, close that chapter of their lives, and move forward. On the other hand, women tend to want to talk about the lost loved one . They weave the person into their lives and carry the person forward with them. This was certainly true in our case when Hub and I lost our first baby [and only son] a day after birth . To this day, Hub never says his name or talks about him unless I bring the subject up even though I know that he loved him as much as I did. Hub is a big sweetheart ..gentle and sensitive ..but he seems to deal with things by moving on . [He's also good at assembling stuff. He reads all the instructions first...that must be the accountant in him...he's very analytical whereas I like to ''feel'' my way and use my intuition when it comes to things, experiences, and people. So, that's my 2 cents and my perspective.
 

JudyB, thanks for yet another great recap! The vocab is great, too-- (my apologies to you and all for copping out on my last one with vocab). Fabulous title!

And wow, everyone, what fun to read the comments!

“By the way, is anyone else annoyed by the way they do Sara's lipstick? They extend it way beyond her lower lip to try and make her mouth more sensual. I hate that.” YES.

“Zulema pinching out the candles (symbolic of the flame going out in her marriage?), clearing the table and wondering where in the world her husband can be?” Ugh, I didn’t like this one, either. I especially didn’t like him ignoring how nice she looked. My second husband never remembered our anniversary, my birthday, etc. It was characteristic of our “relationship” which wasn’t really one in the first place.

“There's an embarrassing pause and then Diana explains that she and Vasco are just friends.” It seems like Vasco might wish they were more than friends.

“Like everything else with Paula, this falls on deaf ears.” This woman is a pain in the okole. I was tired of her the first second she opened her mouth.

“If we come up with a kissing meter like we did for crying, this has to be one of the worst ever. They look like they're eating each other.” LOL! It was dissssgusting.

“And he assures Zulema he's never seen a couple get along as well as she and Omar do....not even his parents! (Poor Vasco, he's in for a rude awakening on that relationship).” LOL, sure is. Whoever asked about this yesterday or today-it’s a “Jocasta” complex. (I think it was you, Eve, who asked about that unhealthy mother-loves-son situation?).

“One couple who seems to be enjoying themselves are Chalo and Sara, celebrating with champagne in plastic cups.” Just so we don’t forget her humble roots in the dumpster, we are reminded by the celebration of her new wealth with the plastic cups. And Chalo.

For all of you who wonder about the miracle liposuction recovery, we can only say that Barb clearly had them all scoped out—she must have figured that no one would ask any questions or ask to see scars or whatever. She knew her audience. She also knew not to tell them she was getting a nose job.

“Well I can say with certainty that I know ONE Mexican woman who would not take being called "Gordita" lightly! And since she shares my bed I'm not going to risk that.” Ferro, ROTFLLLL!!! I told our Mexican pastor (when he called his 1-year old baby “gordita” that in the US that is sometimes viewed as an insult and he was so astonished. He told me how glad he was to know and he’ll save the “chubby” term for home). And regarding your response to “we need to talk” ROTFLLLL again!

“I don't know, but Jackie is getting better in my eyes with every episode.” Eve, I totally agree that she is getting better and better with Bettina. Maybe not with Sara, but I think that will happen, too—she won’t be such a ditz and Sara will be so slimy that Snortensia might see Jacqui’s value after all.

Folks, I’m going to be unable to do recaps for roughly the next month. I should be able to read, and respond, though. I am thanking Maricruz in advance because she’s taking July 18, 25 and August 1 for me, and I still need a sub for August 8 if anyone is able to do it. Thanks! Maricruz, you’re a doll!

Jeanne
 

It helps to know ahead of time whether the "talk" is actually meant to resolve something, or if it's strictly for venting.

If you guess wrong, you could end up in big trouble. :)
 

Julie, I loved your description of your handyperson skills.

:-)

Jeanne
 

Hi Schoolmarm and everyone! Back from Stretch n Flex and had a blast reading the further comments.

Thanks for all the supportive props, Jeanne,.... and Susanlynn, thanks for sharing your story. It helps to know men react differently so we don't get the impression that they don't care but rather that they deal with hurt and loss differently.

Loved the brain theory...interesting!

Julie, we could still use you at our house. Hell's Bell's, I can't even put on contact paper right. I'm impressed with your skills.

And Ferro, Mike, I'll remember next time I ask Bob to do something, to pop a cold one and turn on the game.
 

Lively comments today folks. I'm joining in late, but it's fun to read everyone's views. Recap was funny too, I missed the beginning of the show, that'r right and why I had no idea what was being talked about. Oh well, did need to see it, Judy summed it up great.

THanks again for more fun than the novela itself!
 

Regarding Susanlynn's brain theory, I did an interesting exercise the other day with some friends, all guys. We looked at a black and white image of a dancer and the question was, which direction was she turning? For the guys she turned clockwise or counter-clockwise. For me she kept switching directions. Not sure what that means, but the fact that I was the only one (and the only woman in the group) who saw her turning both directions was interesting. I think we watched the image on youtube.

I am in need of a Stretch n Flex right now. Sure wish JudyB taught a class in my area!
 

Wow...more interesting stuff on brain differences. Like that story Sylvia.

And wish you WERE in my Stretch n Flex class, although I think you'd like the morning group where we dance in addition to stretch and flexing. I'd love to have all my teammates and commentors 'cause you guys rock.

Schoolmarm...wish I could help you out on the 8th but that's when we're leaving for a week's vacation with our Charlotte family and the little ones (Chunklet and Chubbins).
 

JudyB, thanks and ROTFL! We'll somehow get it covered or I'll put up a header. I'll have computer and internet, just not Univision and DVR.

Jeanne
 

Sylvia^^^I asked at the other site that I frequent [Macwow Highlander Forum] because someone posted the turning girl there. [I see her turning clockwise which means that I am rightbrained, and if you see her turning counterclockwise, you are leftbrained. http://www.mavtek.net/
 

I wonder what it means if one sees her go both directions?

I'm glad you mentioned Highlander. I haven't watched that in a long time. I think it's about time I broke it out again. That and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
 

I found this "ballerina" test and also at first I saw it counterclockwise and then it switched and never went back. When I restarted - it never went back to the counterclockwise movement. Strange!
I also found this website:"http://www.angelfire.com/wi/2brains/test.html" to see what exactly I am and I had more of the right side then the left. Hmm, I always thought of myself more like left-brained, may be it changed with age?
 

Ahoy Sylvia^^^I knew that you and I were on the same page. I loved Highlander [Adrian Paul would be great in telenovelas. He can speak Italian because his mother is Italian , but I don't know if he can speak Spanish.] I haven't watched my Highlander videos in awhile. I also liked Buffy , the Vampire Slayer...so campy. I also really enjoyed Lois and Clark and Dr. Quinn. However, my new guilty pleasure is these telenovelas and I tend to fixate on one obsession at a time. I wonder what it will be next ??? There can be only uno.
 

That dancer is totally turning counterclockwise. No amount of staring, blurring my eyes, or anything could make her turn the other way. Don't be surprised that I'm an accountant.
 

Ferro^^^The dancer always turns clockwise for me. On the Macwow forum that I frequent, there is a woman who says that she can maske the dancer turn clockwise or counterclockwise at will which I guess means that both sides of her brain are about equal in strength.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder