Friday, August 22, 2008

Guapos, Thursday, August 21, 2008: Luci dries out and Connie fesses up

The fake Sor Cachete (Macarena in a nun’s habit) wonders where the convent kitchen is after Padre M has told her to get in there and rattle some pans.
Connie comes into Damien’s room and jumps him, taking a few swings and saying how dare you rob my daughter? Damien is stunned – your daughter? Connie says yes, my daughter. The music goes ta- DUM!

At the hospital, we see Luci still having detox tremors and in come Mili and Rocky who say you asked to see us? Rocky says you look better than when we found you. Luci asks him to step out so she can talk to Mili alone.

Luci says to Mili that she can’t believe that the person she’s hurt most in the world is the one who saved her life. Mili says I’m sure you would have done the same thing for me. Luci says no, I would have left you like trash, to die in the street. Mili says you can insult me, I can take it. Luci says no, what I want is to beg your forgiveness. I know I don’t deserve it – I was so blind, so horrible, with you and you didn’t deserve it. I never met your mama, but I hated her because of the great love Constancio had for her and still has for her.

Mili says he abandoned her, left her to die. He didn’t love her as much as you think. Luci says and then you came into the house Mili, into my life, and when I found out Alex had fallen in love with you it was a massive blow to my pride. Rosario stole Constancio’s love and I wasn’t going to let you, you of all people, steal the love of my Alex.

Mili says I didn’t want to steal anything from you. Alex loves you so much and we could have shared his love, but you didn’t want to. Luci says I ended up destroying my son. Forgive me, Milagros, please forgive me. Mili is in tears and she says of course I forgive you, because of you there is Alex, my very reason for living. Mili lays her head on Luci’s breast and Luci embraces her, her hands shaking so severely she seems palsied and Mili’s teeth must be rattling.

Connie is laying the Big Truth on Damien – Mili is the daughter of Rosario, servant of the house, who he left to marry Damien’s sorry sister. Ahhhh, says Damien. So that’s why Regina left her her fortune – she was the lost grandchild. Connie says think what you like, but I’m not going to let you rob her, so hand over that paper she signed.

Not a chance, says Damien. She may be your daughter, but she has hurt my son terribly and I’m going to protect him. Connie gives him a shove. Damien says attention! If you’re so big into protecting her, why haven’t you acknowledged her as your daughter, huh? Connie says thief! Maybe, says Damien, but I’m a million times better father than you are. Connie is furious and says you aren’t doing it for Hugo, you’re doing it for yourself. You weaseled money when they got married and now you want to weasel more when they divorce. Damien says Mili cheated on Hugo with Alex, and it’s not fair that Hugo should be left empty-handed. If he lost the love of his life, Milagros should lose something too.

Connie gives him another shove and says I’m not going to let you get away with this. Damien says there’s nothing you can do and – attention! – you’d best leave it alone, or I’ll blab on you. Here you had your bastard child in the house, working as a servant. That news would be the end of your political career. Connie growls at him I’m going to destroy you! Damien says lets see who destroys who and he gives Connie a shove and walks out.

Mili is just breaking away from her embrace of Luci and Luci says it drove me nuts how everyone would say how good you are, but now I’ve seen that it’s true. You must have a huge heart to forgive what I’ve done to you. I learned so much from living in the streets, from doing anything for just one drop of alcohol. I even was begging. Mili says hard lessons, and Luci says painful ones. Luci says I always thought social standing was so important, but now after living what I lived, things I never thought I’d experience, I’ve learned so many things.

She strokes Mili’s hair and says look at you, you’ve grown up without parents in a world where so many strikes are against you, whereas I was given everything, yet I threw my life in the trash. Mili says there’s time to change – your children love you. They hate me, says Luci. No, no says Mili, they love you and they’re very worried about you. Take that love and use it to get better, to rise up in life. Luci sobs and Mili strokes her face and cries too, and gives her a kiss on the forehead.

At the ad break, they show a clip of Luci standing by the ocean in what looks almost like a nightie, no makeup, the wind blowing her carelessly tied-up hair.

Luci tells Mili about Oceanica where you go to dry out and recover and Mili hopes she wants to go. Luci says yes, she needs help and can’t do it alone, but she has no money. I’ll pay! says Mili. I know, says Luci, I know you paid for this hospital and you said you’d pay for Oceanica, but I just can’t let you after all I’ve done to you. Forget all that, says Mili, clean the slate. Think of it as a loan and you can repay me later. My reward would be you getting better and coming home to your children. Luci sobs forgive me forgive me and Mili, crying too, hugs her again.

Macarena, pretending to be her sister, has served up quesadillas. The padre asks what’s up with that and Macarena says I couldn’t find what I needed to make something better, your excellency. The padre says but you’re the one in charge of the kitchen! The padre says he’s sorry the MS can’t be with them, she’s feeling under the weather. He asks Macarena to do the blessing. Gulp! She thanks for the cheese and the tortillas and the griddle she finally found. Eyebrows pop up around the table. The padre asks where is the other good stuff she used to put in the quesadillas, and her great salsa she always makes? Nobody appreciates me, says Macarena, can’t I have a bad day like everyone else? The padre wonders why she’s reacting like that. Macarena says everyone picks on me, I should take a vacation! Here I am working for no salary! The padre says are you serious? You do seem very tense. He tells her to go with another sister who is going off into the jungle to do good works. Not me, says Macarena. Yes you, says the padre, those are my orders. Macarena says when’s this trip? The padre says you remember, it’s tonight. Get your things together. No, no says Macarena.

Rocky is talking alone to Luci now and he tells her everyone thought she was in the institution and he asks how she ended up on the street. Luci says she doesn’t want to talk about it, the important thing is that she is where she’s getting help, thanks to him and Mili. Of course we helped, it’s natural, says Rocky and besides you are the mother of my chiquita, my mother-in-law. Do you mind if I call you that? No, says Luci. He wants to know if it’s all right to tell her kids where she is so that they can come visit and she says no, not until I’ve been to Oceanica and I’m recovered. Rocky tells her she’s a strong person and that will help her get better.

Luci says she’s so sorry for the bad things she did to him and Mili, but most of all Mili. Luci asks how it’s going with Vale and Rocky says great now that Connie has said it’s okay for them to marry. He did? asks Luci. I know my husband very well and I know he plays dirty. Luci says she has a favor to ask – could they wait until she’s all better so she can come home and see the wedding of her daughter? Rocky says you’re not going to oppose the wedding? Luci says no, I see that my children’s happiness is with you and Mili. I was fighting a losing battle.

In the storeroom, Sor Cachete is pacing in Macarena’s leopard outfit and is praying to God, asking him why He put Macarena back in her life after she had escaped her bad influence. Mono comes in and she begs him to let her go. He says sure, just tell us which niche has the money in it and you’ll be free to go back to your life. She says never, the money was stolen and it would be a sin to help. She says why are you playing at being a bad movie-style Mafioso when I can see in your eyes that you’re a good person? Mono glares at her. Well, sometimes, she says. I can see you have a noble heart, didn’t your mother tell you that? Mono thinks it over and says why yes! She said son, you are ugly, but you have a good heart. Sor Cachete says see? You’ve just lost your way. Heaven is chock full of repentants, you know.

Mono has his hand over his heart and seems to be having an epiphany, but a voice is telling him to pick up. It’s a message coming through on Macarena’s cell, which he has. She says come get me, or I’ll end up on a mission in some jungle. He says what about the money? She says look for it tomorrow morning. The padre comes up to Macarena and says the bus is waiting for you. Back to Mono: he says they’re going to take her on a mission. Sor Cachete says I know and I really wanted to go and it’s your fault I can’t now.

Luci is saying so Flor left without her child? Mili and Rocky are at the end of her bed and Mili says yes, she thought I’d make a better mother. Luci agrees and says no matter what I did, it seems fate has reunited you and Alex. Luci says she will do everything in her power to see Mili and Alex married, and Rocky and Vale. They deserve it. Mili and Rocky are thrilled and say she seems like a new person. Luci says I had to go through a lot to get this way. She asks if Andrea is still in her house. They say yes, she is, strutting around and playing the grande dame. Luci says that’s all I need. She makes Mili and Rocky promise to see her when she gets out of Oceanica and they happily agree. Group hug.

Damien is lunching with Peralta and he asks him to build a fire under the story of Connie and the illegitimate child. Why? asks Peralta. Damien says it’s a girl child, and she was working as a servant in the house. Peralta says that’s serious and Damien smiles.

Vale is coming into the foyer, furious, where Alex is holding the baby. She checked with Pedro and guess what Rocky was never there. She asks Alex if Rocky could be cheating and he says surely there’s some explanation. He laughs and says no way would Rocky run around on her and in fact the thing he likes best about Rocky is how much he loves her.

Just then Rocky and Mili come in and Vale wants to know why they’re coming in together. Mili says they just met at the door and Alex says how’s Padre Manuel and Mili says he says hi. Mili goes upstairs and Alex takes the baby up too.

Vale confronts Rocky and says she checked at Rodeo and he wasn’t there. She rants a bit and he laughs and says you’re jealous! He says he can’t say where he’s been but it’s something for her, a surprise, she’ll see. She melts. He says and oh by the way they won’t marry in 2 weeks. She is upset and says when. He says it depends, and he runs off.

In his studio, Karla is leaning on Hugo as they recline on the couch. She wants to know why Mili’s things are still around if they’re not sleeping together. Hugo says if he took them out it would be accepting their separation. He’ll never let her go, even though she just gave him all her money to separate. Karla sits up, suddenly alert. Hugo explains how that happened and Karla says do it! I can’t be bought with any fortune, says Hugo. He pushes her back and starts to kiss her and then says change, and put on the wig. She rolls her eyes, but, ever the pragmatist, off she heads to the bathroom.

A scene of Alex and Mili adoring the baby. She shows him how to burp a baby, something he’d never heard of, oddly enough. They want to put the baby down and decide to sing to her. They sing softly and that segues into a background song while we see scenes of a rocky beach and a car driving into a nice facility. Scenes of the makeup-less Luci registering.

More montage: We see the nuns in the jungle, and Macarena is swatting at bugs. Luci is writing in her journal, is sitting in group therapy. Karla is making love with Hugo, she surreptitiously takes off the wig. Rocky (pencils up his nose), Bobby and Alex at the office – no business. A gray-haired customer is there, they swarm him. He is next seen giving a file folder to Connie. Alex enters Connie’s office, passing the customer and confronts Connie about it. Luci is working out in the gym, her black eye gone. Mili and Gloria and Socorro are framed in a mirror with Lina, congratulating her. (Is she getting married? She has a white top on – we can’t see the rest.) Vale and Rocky are sharing a lounger and Ramses comes out and lays down in the other one. Rocky chases him off. Luci is in the facility laundry, ironing her own dress. She is at a PowerPoint presentation about alcohol dependence. She is at a microphone, speaking to the group. Mili and Connie are walking by the fountain, Damien observes. Mono is prying open every niche at the convent looking for the right ashes. Karla is vacuuming in Damien’s room in her short skirt, and unseen by her, Damien studies her. He shoves her down on the bed while she says no no!

Luci is receiving a pin for progress. She sits out by the sea, writing in her journal. She is running on a vast, sandy beach (that place sure looked rocky in the first shots). She looks at photos of her family, sits on the sand and journals some more. The sun is setting, she lights a fire and burns her journal. She stands and watches the sea, she lets sand fall from her fingers and blow away. She watches the journal burn.

She passes through an applauding double row of people as she pulls her small luggage behind her and leaves. She has on a horrible little-girl sundress that must have been donated. An airplane is aloft.

Mili and Rocky are nervously waiting at the airport. Why is the plane so late? There’s Luci! They all embrace joyfully. Luci still has no makeup on, but at least she doesn’t have that dreadful dress on. She wants to know if her kids know, and the two assure her that they don’t. Luci says she can’t wait to see them, but she’s scared too.

The MS is in bed, no habit, and we find out she has short dark brown hair. Wow, even nuns dye their hair! She is concerned that Sor Cachete hasn’t written from the jungle and the padre is surprised too. He says the niches in the church have been broken into. The MS says her time is near and she is resigned. The padre wants to know if she wants to confess. She says no, there is something that is bothering her a lot. She wants Connie to come. The padre says he’s a hard-head and nothing she says will get him to fess up to being Mili’s father. She says go get him.

Peralta comes into Connie’s office and says why did you want to see me? You should ask! says Connie. What have you done? Connie whams his desktop. You have worked against me! You’re the one that got me blackballed and arranged it so that Damien replaced me. Peralta says how can you say that? Even if you don’t think I’m your friend, I am. People come and go, the party remains. People die, the party is immortal. Connie says come to the point. Peralta says it’s not my fault, it’s just that the party doesn’t want anything to do with you anymore and Damien is the best candidate for the presidency. Connie is livid and says Damien will fall hard and fast. Peralta says no harder or faster than you – there’s a rumor that you have a bastard child and she was working as a servant in your home. Connie is speechless.

A car pulls up to Mili’s mom’s house and Rocky, Mili and Luci get out. Luci says she really loves it. Rocky says your place is in your home with your children. Luci says I’ll be back there, but I’m taking it one step at a time. They go in – Rocky and Mili have decorated and set some flowers and fruit around. Mili says she remembered that Luci loves jasmines. They have two framed photos, Vale and Alex, and photos on the wall of the baby. Luci is overjoyed. She can’t wait to hold her first grandchild in her arms. Luci embraces them and says I lost so many moments due to my alcoholism – never again. Group hug.

Back at the office, Connie wants to know who told Peralta and he says he can’t reveal his sources. But he says having your child work in your house as a servant – well! Connie says it’s Damien, I know it. Peralta says I’m sorry, but your political career is over. Connie says you’re really going to regret siding with Damien. I’m going to run out both you and him. Peralta says are you threatening me? They declare war. Peralta says you aren’t just messing with me and Damien, you’re messing with the party, which is going to back us up. Connie tells him to get out.

Karla comes in where Hugo is moodily painting. She has an envelope in her hand, and she tells him she’s pregnant – by him.

Avances: The dying MS tells Connie that Mili’s mother didn’t die.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the excellent recap, Maggie. Not snarky, and appropriately so for this episode. It also helps fill in a few holes where I did not understand some of the conversations.

So Luci is working her steps. That's good. I thought the Luci scenes tonight were heartbreakingly well done. I even got a little teary eyed. Laura Flores is an awesome actress. One would almost believe she's gone through detox and treatment in real life, by her depiction.

I don't get what's up with the wig on Karla. I have only started watching, haphazardly, the past month. Is Hugo trying to channel Mili? That guy is seriously weird.

Damien ... eww! ... looks like he's going to rape Karla in the promos for Friday nite's episode.

Is Mili wearing a wig? That hair under her hat does not look real.

doris
 

I too was really impressed with Laura Flores' acting...and willingness to appear totally without makeup. She was sooooo glamourous in the latter stages of Piel de Otoño....and now, with the black eye and tremors to boot she looks incredibly vulnerable and plain. But powerful.

Man, I do not enjoy flatulence humor. At the end of that Peralta/Constancio scene, sure enough, somebody broke wind and then they both accused the other of doing it, ending with Connie frantically fanning the air with a portfolio. I'm beginning to think maybe Peralta has Crohn's disease.

Nice take on "do nuns dye their hair?". Yes, that scene would have been better had the Mother Superior had gray hair. Oh well.
 

Great recap, Maggie. The one thing you forgot is that they had another farting contest between Constancio and Peralta--totally wrong in tone.

I was quite teary-eyed too, Doris.
I am going to miss this show a great deal. Yes, Hugo is trying to channel Mili, hence the wig. He's a real nutjob.

I think Mili has been wearing wigs or extensions herself. Her hairstyle has changed a few times, and sometimes the hair looks fake.
 

Ha, I see that JudyB and I are channeling each other by posting the same comment simultaneously.
 

Thanks Maggie, great recap!

Add me to the admirers of Laura Flores' acting during the drunk on the streets and detox phase. I really felt bad for her, even after all the hateful things she had done. I'm glad they redeemed her, Alex and Val need their mother and nameless baby needs a grandmother.

I was so hopeful that Hugo might be redeemed, but I think that ship has probably sailed. He has some serious issues and since this is a telenovela he's probably either headed for the manicomio or muerte.

I guess we have to wonder if Karla's baby is really Hugo's, or the product of her apparent rape by Damian. Either way, another child that will most likely end up without one of its parents. I don't see Hugo or Damian either one coming out of this free and alive. Damian is often funny, but I can't imagine him getting away with some of the terrible things he's done.
 

Hi Ninak...no surprise that we're channeling each other. Funny though when it happens.

Did you get my e-mail about the book on age-related memory loss and Alzheimer's disease?...Can't Remember What I Forgot by Sue Halpern?

Thought it might interest you and Maggie. Very readable report (written for the layman, obviously) on the latest neurological research into these conditions and diseases.

As a side note, crossword puzzles were found to be the least helpful in staving off memory problems...and the best? ballroom dancing! So get on your dancing shoes and shake a leg with your hubster.
 

Maggie: Thanks very much for your wonderful recap. I missed last night's episode, but you brought it to life for me. The Luci scenes sound really sad. I agree with the others, Laura Flores has done a great job in the novela. I hope she wins an award.

From lower Ala
 

Judy, I did get your e-mail, but I didn't get a chance to reply. I am going to check out that book. Unfortunately, I am spending too much time on crossword puzzles and too little on ballroom dancing. My husband can't dance a lick and refuses to try (oh, well, he has other good qualities), so I'll have to stick to step classes and tap dancing solo.

Speaking of hair dye, I noticed Cesar Evora's gray roots growing in on a closeup of his inky-black tresses.
 

P.S. I got really sad last night, because they posted "Ultimos Capitulos," which was awfully fast. Wasn't "Ultimas Semanas" only last week?

I am getting antsy now to see the end, as they are managing to build up a lot of suspense. The last time that happened for me was with La Fea Mas Bella, and I ended up watching ahead on YouTube. I'm ready to do that now with Guapos.

Univision web site still has no official announcement of the next show. I would guess it will be Las Tontas no Van al Cielo. It stars Jaime Camil, the male star of La Fea, or, for the uninitiated, the picture labeled "tan divino" on our sidebar. Tontas is supposed to be comic, so it would make a natural replacement for Guapos in the 8 o'clock slot. Something else called Tormentas of Amor or something like it is also out there, but I"d predict they'd put that on at 9 o'clock when Fuego finishes.
 

I agree JudyB – Laura Flores (Luci) was awesome last night. There’s something about her that makes me feel she’d be a wonderful person to know. I’ve never seen her on a talk show, or read an article about her, but despite the mean characters she’s played, I like her.

I’m continuing to be amazed that Damien is the ideal candidate. He has no political background, isn’t a leading businessman like Connie, and he spent time in the clink. I’m still wondering what his fate is going to be. He’s so amoral, and the contest between the brothers-in-law to see who can pull the best fast one on the other has been fun. But when it looks like he’s raped Karla (and he tried it way back with Mili), he can be headed for a terrible telenovela doom. So I agree with you Rhonda, he’s probably going to end up very badly.

Just for the record, I did notice the fart sequence. I just didn’t like it and it wasn’t pivotal, so I left it out. I think Peralta is so nicely conceived – he seems so gentle and smooth, but he is a real politico who has his hand on the rudder and turns it in any way that best serves his party power. I don’t like fart jokes, and I think they undermine a well-drawn character.

I loved this episode – it was real wish-fulfillment. Wouldn’t we love to see this in real life? Somebody who has been snobbish and cruel is out on the streets, living hand-to-mouth, sees the light, begs forgiveness and ends up embracing the good people she has so badly wronged. Somebody who is alcoholic hits bottom, goes into treatment and is re-born as a sober and much-improved person. Sigh.

Now I’m going to brag a bit: My husband is a hot dancer! We met in dance class 12 years ago when we took a swing dance class together. We used to dance several nights a week, but unfortunately we haven’t danced much in the past year or so and we are laying on pounds and probably getting brain rot. Meantime I’m hoping sudoku and spider solitaire will keep Alzheimer’s at bay!
 

I got to thinking that Oceanica didn’t look idealized enough for a telenovela, so I just Googled it. Sure enough it’s real! And it has lots of sandy beaches. In fact, it looks much more impressive than it did in our show. Here’s a link to its homepage which has a little slide show running:


http://www.oceanica.com.mx/
 

Uch, Damian. Did he really rape Karla? I can't believe anyone would think he was a good political candidate. He just oozes skeeziness. Politicians are supposed to hide it better.

I don't think Lina got married--at least, I would be annoyed if they just glossed over that without even showing Lina and Bobby together. I think she was just trying on a wedding dress.

What a comeback for Luci! I was sure someone was going to end up using Mili's house, but I never imagined it would be her. I loved what Mili and Rocky did with the place. Very comfy-looking. I hope the get rid of the massive stashes of booze all over the big house before she comes back. A newly recovering addict needs a little help.
 

Doris and Rhonda – I was just re-reading the all the interesting comments, and I goofed just responding to JudyB’s praise of Laura Flores, as you both said kind words about her performance too, and I had read and enjoyed them. Judy’s e-mail was floating on top of my brain, as she had mentioned Alzheimer’s. I’m always a bit fuzzy-brained the morning after recapping, since I stay up late to do it, so I apologize for not giving credit where it’s due!
 

Thanks for the great recap Maggie =)

I can't help but wonder what the club is doing while Macarena is out at the jungle mission. They could try to make Cata (Sor Cachete/Sor Catalina) sing, but she would probably try to use the opportunity to escape.

What the heck was Mono doing removing a plaque with a name??!! PM says one of the plaques had been moved to the one next to it. Cata had specifically said they were in a niche without a name, but I guess he's just opening them all to make sure.

I have a theory (just a theory, I could be wrong as I was about Rosario having a twin only to have the Chunkster be the one that had one) about our now alive Rosario. Years ago, there was a TN named "Chispita" (with a teenage Lucero and the woman who played her maid in "Alborada") in which our heroine's mom went into shock after the car accident that killed her husband. She ran away from the hospital and developed amnesia. Over the years, she managed to figure out she had a daughter, but couldn't remember her name, or her husband's name, or even her own name. Anywhooo, although we've already had one amnesia storyline, I wonder if we'll have another. Maybe the already fragile Rosario developed post partum depression and ran away, then developed amnesia, and that's why she hasn't looked for her kid. Given the financial situation of the convent, they couldn't well hire detectives to look for her, especially since they didn't know her name. I guess I'm just hoping that she doesn't turn out to be a mean b!tch like Lina's mom, who just dumped her kid 'cause she hated the dad. From the previews, I guess we'll probably know tonight, or Monday at the latest.
 

Oh, I forgot to add, for a bit of useless trivia: the ingredient that Macarena didn't add to the quesadillas was "epazote" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epazote

I'm not a huge fan of it on quesadillas, but it's not bad if you add it to beans when you're boiling them and then remove it like you do with bay leaf (in other dishes, I've never tried bay on my beans...maybe I should...)
 

Maggie, great recap! Thanks!

You know I don't comment often on this TN, but I watch it almost daily now. I have to say Laura Flores' acting on this episode was marvelous, and I have been impressed with her acting during the fall from grace the last couple of weeks. She may be deserving of some award or other!

NinaK, I totally agree that it's incomprehensible that folks prefer Fuego. For me, it's complete drag and Guapos is much better.

Jeanne
 

Margarita, I love your encyclopedic knowledge of telenovelas, but also your knowledge of cuisine. I noticed also that they mentioned epazote. I have seen it in latin markets and I have read about it as being one of those ingredients that really puts the Mex in Mexican food. But of course, I have not tried it.

If you make beans, do you put in some kind of meat and fat for flavoring? I have always had very little success in making bean dishes.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder