Monday, August 11, 2008

Querida Enemiga Monday August 11 - Innunendo

I’m going to try something new this week. When I take notes on paper, I have to pause the show too much. When I try to type on my laptop when I watch, I have to pause too much. This time I’m going to sit down and write what just happened at each commercial break. Hope it works ok. Sorry if anything is out of order, but I don’t think it will matter.

Alonso frets about going out with Sara, hottie assistant Valeria tells him to go, why not? He says “duhhhh… ok.” Then he thought bubbles about how it wouldn’t be fair to deprive Sara of his friendship just because she’s friends with Lorena. Gosh how magnanimous of him.

Lorena sells her sweets (no not THAT she’s a professional virgin) on the street. Ernesto just happens, in the largest city in the western hemisphere, to be driving down that street. He buys a couple and says they look good, but he’s a harsh critic. Lorena stands by her product. He drives away, he was very nice about the whole thing.

Diana tries to visit Vasco, Skeletor Barbara runs her off, in spite of Jaime defending Diana as Vasco’s boyfriend. We know who wears the pants around here. In fact, she does always wear pants, have we seen Barbara wear a dress or anything? In the hall, Hortensia talks smack to her too, Diana storms off. Sara comes in and tells Hortensia that Dr. Bruno, who operated/took care of Vasco, is Diana’s sperm donor and gives her the whole story. Hortensia goes to Bruno and offers him a Director post at a private hospital and a fat check, but only if he marries Diana. Bruno looks like he’ll do it without a second thought. Surely he’d end up being Arturo v2.0, but with a better looking mistress since he’d have money.

Dario is worried about Jackie being so late at the wedding and tells Bettina that surely Paula had something to do with it, Bettina asks him to stop dogging her mom. Jackie finally shows up and Dario and Bettina think the dress looks funny, but whatever. The shortest wedding of all time commences, all they do is say ‘acepto’ and sign their names, and it’s over. Jackie tries to not move a muscle so her dress doesn’t fall apart, during the kiss she’s tucking part of it back together.

Bruno thinks about Hortensia’s offer.

Jackie gets into a snit and argues with Dario, she is upset about her dress and her wedding being ruined. She stomps off to the bathroom, where her mother (very scary looking woman by the way) follows her and gives her an attitude adjustment. After Hortensia and Arturo’s mom, I expected her to be the same, but she made a lot of sense. Quit sniveling, you are making it worse, get out there and enjoy your wedding, or all the pictures will have you with that horrible look on your face. Jackie tries to make a smile in the mirror and doesn’t quite succeed.

Paula gets weepy and drunk, ends up passing out on the couch. Alonso brings Bettina home, she smells his cologne (like he poured on the bottle) and they have a conversation about love and he tells her it is the greatest thing, even if it doesn’t always work out the way you expect. Later, Paula wakes up and sees an invitation on the table and decides she’s going to go – I guess this is the party or event where Bettina’s friend’s dad is also going to be, right? She is surprisingly alert after how drunk she was before. When she wakes up in her tight sweater, I am again reminded of how the best body on the show is being kept under wraps. Not fair.

Speaking of nice bodies, Sara is dressed up with her boobs basically hanging out to go meet Alonso. For once I agree with one of her plans. If she is out to conquer a horny man, and we all know how horny Alonso is, she is on the right track. Julian asks her why she seems so at peace with the whole Lorena thing, Sara makes up some excuse about giving it time. Zulema comes in and tells her she looks like she’s going on a date, not just coffee with a friend. If this were a Mexican mom for real, there would have been a fight about how she’s dressed. Most moms aren’t so happy to see their daughters showing off the goods to some man they haven’t met.

Lorena comes home, she sold all her stuff, and talks to Rosy. Rosy wants her to come to the movies with her and Julian, but Lorena says no, it will remind her of when all four of them went out. Why stop there? I can’t eat, it reminds me of eating with him. I can’t walk, it reminds me of walking with him. Etc. You can see I don’t have patience for that sort of thing.

Hortensia looks at Ernesto’s book and is impressed. Is this a real book and they are really trying to boost sales, or what?

Jaime comes to the lesser house to try and talk to Omar, Omar slams the door in his face. Just then Maruja comes up, they talk briefly and Jaime asks her to spend some time with him, walk, talk, get a drink, whatever. She has here eyes so wide open, you would think he just asked her to have sex in the alley. I guess she still just sees him as Mr. big shot from her work.

Alonso and Sara get to a restaurant and make nice small talk to each other. Just then, her cell phone rings and in defiance of all common etiquette, she answers to be greeted by Chalo saying “Hola mi rrrreina” in that incredibly annoying way of his. Sometimes I say that to my wife in my Chalo voice, along with “quien es tu Challlloooooo” just to get a rise out of her. She doesn’t say anything to him, just hangs up and tells Alonso that it was Lorena. Of course it rings again, so she turns it off. They talk and make googly eyes at each other, before long she has talked him into taking her to Chapultapec the next day, she’s going to skip school to go. Mr. high and mighty morals Alonso doesn’t seem to have any problem with it. It may have had something to do with Sara continuing to rest her barely restrained breasts on the table. Very subtle. Gabriel Soto must be a better actor than we thought, because they don’t have him staring at them the whole time.

Meanwhile Lorena studies and starts crying and moping when she finds a picture of her and Alonso.

Arturo and Barbara meet up in a hotel room, he gets upset once he realizes they aren’t going to have sex. She storms out, he says to the empty room that he’s getting tired of her.

Paula goes to the bar and finds Daniel there, he has an invitation too, they figure out that the daughters set them up. She wants to go yell at Bettina, Daniel has seen the tight sweater and says no no no, stay, let’s make the best of this. She agrees and actually starts acting normal. They get a table.

Jackie is all steamed about her wedding being ruined, she is in bed with Dario, who is trying to get something started, but she’s on the phone with her mom, who is continuing to give her good advise (hey! Cheer up! You’re married!) which Jackie seems determined to ignore. When she hangs up, Dario tries to get her to move on from the dress and that nobody from the company came, but she just wants to go to sleep. Plenty of time for nookie in Thailand, where she apparently doesn’t really want to go.

Paula and Daniel enjoy some drinks – I have to take a time out. So far she got totally bombed, passed on out the couch, then went back out, in the same clothes, still early enough to catch Daniel at the bar? How is this possible? It takes (uh *ahem* I’ve heard) a lot longer than that to sleep off that much booze, especially when you’re in your 30s. Plus, I hope she brushed her teeth before she left the house. Anyway, Daniel seems to want to get a little closer to her but she is obsessed with her ex, who lookie here, just showed up. She gives Daniel a big wet kiss, his chin is shiny wet afterwards, to try and make Dario jealous, which seems to work. He marches right up, is introduced to Daniel, then Paula teases him for not being upstairs on his wedding night. So now the novela code dictates only one hotel too? Jeez. When Daniel figures out that she just kissed him for Dario’s sake, he isn’t pleased. I won’t be surprised if he leaves.

Jaime takes Maruja back to her house, then tells her how nice she is and touches her hand and tries to kiss her. He does it in a totally non-creepy way, I think this actor is by far the most convincing in his character. I hadn’t always liked him in other shows, but I really think he’s doing a fabulous job here. Of course, Maruja is a bit freaked out and runs in the house, telling muffin-wrapping Lorena that nothing is wrong.

The next day Lorena is selling muffins at the only intersection in the world, when Hortensia sees her and tells her driver to call her over. Lorena’s smile disappears when she sees Hort, who tells her “you finally ended up where someone as useless as you belongs.” What a nice lady. She is so screwed in a month or two. Or however long this show lasts. She continues to insult Lorena until Lorena says “at least I never dumped a baby at an orphanage.” This shuts Hortensia up, she tells her driver to move it. He tells her that they are at a stop light! She just says move it!

Ernesto is at the location of his new restaurant, where someday I’m sure Lorena is going to be the chef (no spoiler just guessing), he meets a woman named Monica (hello Monica!) who is hot but frowny, she seems to have a big problem with Ernesto. He has no idea why and his business partner (sorry I can’t remember his name) shows up before the conversation goes any further. Monica just keeps frowning at him.

Chalo rides up on his motorcycle and almost hits Sara as she is leaving the lesser house, wanting to know why she didn’t answer last night. She goes off on him, someone could see them! He is tired of staying hidden, she tells him to go take a vacation to Acapulco (sign me up!). He says with her? No, under what pretext could she get away? He says what if he meets some nice American girl there? She says she’s not worried, they are together in something. She unspeakingly promises bedtime goodies, I suppose, based on the look on Chalo’s face. I guess even the possibility of sex is enough to keep him quiet.

I guess Monica’s problem was that she wanted to hire a celebrity chef or something (and Ernesto isn’t?) but they appear to work out some sort of agreement. I didn’t catch a lot of the dialogue here, somebody chime in if I read that scene wrong. And yes, I’m cheating, I’m not waiting until commercials to type, I thought I might forget something.

Maruja is very listless at work, Rosy wants to know what’s going on.

Monica says Ern’s food looks great, but what if it tastes like crap? He says that won’t be the case. Monica gets a phone call and leaves, Business Partner confesses that she is his daughter and has always been bitchy. He says it more nicely, but that’s what he said.

Barbara comes to meet Sara at the company, Sara wants money. Barbara hems and haws, so Sara calls Arturo’s secretary (he’s Jaime’s assistant and also has a secretary? Is there really that much to do?) but Barbara says fine fine I’ll pay and Sara says in the phone never mind, I’ll find him later. Hortensia arrives and wants to see Sara. When she goes into her office, Barbara asks Sara how much money she wants.

Monica follows Ernesto outside after the meeting and basically wants to be in charge of hiring the help. He tells her butt out, you handle your business and I’ll handle mine. She says is this war? He tells her however she wants it. She vows to make it hell for him.

Barbara tells Arturo that Sara knows, he tells her to just pay the money. Barbara says so easy, since you always take and never give. He says he’s going to pay her back with interest. She says they should cool it for a while, he agrees quickly. I guess he really is tired of her. His wife is so much hotter and nicer anyway, jeez. Barbara sneaks a kiss that Arturo doesn’t look too excited about and she leaves. He is happy about this turn of events. I guess there isn’t any risk of the affair being outed and now he doesn’t have to be with Barbara. Wow she says no sex one time because her son is in a coma and he dumps her just like that. He really is as shallow as we thought.

Sara tells Chalo by phone that all is ready for his trip. She hangs up and Alonso brings her an ice cream and she flirts with him as they walk on their non-date date or whatever the hell it is.

Ernesto tells Lorena that her muffins (ok really I’m not making innuendos at Lorena on purpose today it just happens) were the best ever. They chat and he wants a dozen more. She says for his girlfriends? He says no all for him, but she doesn’t believe him. He says fine, for my girlfriends then. Ha ha ha flirt flirt oh you crazy kids.

Lorena’s school friend says that Lorena is about to join the harem. If he bought those muffins just for himself, he’d be fat! Lorena hopes the harem all get fat from the muffins.

All right – right away seeing Alonso rowing a boat I want to call him retarded but I’m afraid that there is some Mexican rowing style that I’m just not aware of. He is sitting in the butt end of the boat, the flat end, and rowing back that way. You can even see that the oars are anchored to be used in other seat facing the other way. Nobody associated with this show noticed that he was trying to push a rope? Or are we supposed to be impressed by his strength, where he can row a boat without the aid of aerodynamics? I have rowed boats before and it’s hard enough when doing it the right way, bow first. Maybe Sylvia has some insight here. Is rowing stern first some sort of Mexican mating ritual? I’m going to say that Alonso is just dumb. Anyway, ha ha ha flirt flirt with these two too. When they get out of the boat, it’s rocking (don’t come a knocking!) and of course Sara falls against him as they step on to land, then they start making out. Alonso manages to look completely confused even while they are kissing. Dude, did you not get all the boob signals back at the restaurant?


Tomorrow – Toribio yells at Alonso about something. He was all agitated and I couldn’t understand what he said. Unfortunately there aren’t any captions on the previews!

Labels:


Comments:
Dude, you didn't miss a single beat here with your new strategy and even though I haven't read the whole thing, I've read enough to be rolling on the floor roaring in a hotel room at midnight, which is probably against the law or something. So keep it UP! ;-)

I can't wait to have the time to read the whole thing and that may be Wednesday night the way my life is going, but this is good, Ferro. You got it, man.

Jeanne
 

One more thing--I did see the epi so I know you're on target.

Jeanne (still laughing and wondering if I'll get to sleep at all)
 

I don't think you missed a thing.

I'm finding it's fastest to watch the show live and take notes on the computer as I go, even if they're not very coherent, and just write "more" if I know I'm missing a ton of stuff. (My memory's not good enough to wait for the commercial to write things down.) During commercials, I flesh out what I did get. I get the rest when I play it back.

It still takes a long time because on playback I discover that half of what I typed during the show was kind of wrong. But it's faster than typing and pausing, typing and pausing, which is what I used to do - I would get hung up on every scene.

After watching the whole episode once, however, I have a better idea of which stuff I can gloss over.

It's not making my recaps much shorter, but it is cutting down on the time.
 

Ferro, I think your plan worked out just fine. I might have to try it. I do the stop-after-every-scene method and then I end up throwing a bunch on the editing room floor (probably not enough). Like Julie says, one gets hung up and it seems to take forever.

Carmel, your comment about Barbara not making it through to the last episode is spot-on I think...looks like Ickturo wouldn't mind seeing her meet her demise. I wouldn't put it past him to help this out a bit.

Ferro, you know darn well that in all of the DF there is only one beauty salon, one church, one bar, one taxi, etc.

I couldn't tell why Monica is so ticked off at Ernesto. Maybe she hates him by reputation or maybe there is some background there we don't know yet.

OMG you are so right about Alonso rowing the boat! I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. I'm not an expert rower by any means but can concur that in rowing, sailing, motoring whatever...pointy end of boat goes first! Which of course anyone with one brain cell already knows. I wonder, does the director hate Gabriel Soto? I can't see that this role is doing anything for his "career" except help it plummet.

Thanks Chris, hilarious recap as always and a direct hit on so many of these ridiculous characters.
 

Sylvia I see you responding to a comment from Carmel, but I don't see a comment from her? Anyway I think Barbara getting offed is possible, she doesn't add anything but hysteria and being a zombie, so now that Arturo is turning on her maybe something will happen.
Thanks for chiming in on the boat, I know you do stuff boat-related, if I remember correctly. I can't believe they had him rowing that way. Maybe the whole thing was done that way just so he would get out of the boat first to set up Sara's 'stumble.' I'm sure they could have worked something else out.

Thanks Jeanne, don't wake the people next door!

Julie, thanks for the input. That's basically what I'm trying to do too, cut down on the time. I know by now that generally I can't stop myself from rattling on and on, so I just try to find a way to cut down on the time spent on the watching/notes part. Once I'm done watching the show and actually typing things up, I don't notice the time. But when I'm watching and taking notes and my wife comes upstairs (she gave up on this show) and says "You're STILL doing this?" I know I need to find a way to cut down the time!
 

Excellent, funny and complete recap!

I noticed in the opening credits, they seem to list Ana Layevska, Gabriel Soto and Jorge Aravena first, then everyone else. Since Jorge Aravena is Ernesto, this might mean that he's going to have a really big role from now on. I mean, we know something's going on between him and Lorena, but this confirms it.

So, as we had in just about every novela I've seen, there are two fairly good guys fighting over the main girl. For example: Amor Real, Manuel & Adolfo; Alborada, Luis and Antonio; LFMB, Fernando and Aldo; Destilando Amor, Rodrigo and Dr. Alonso; Pasion, Ricardo and Santiago.

It's rare that the main guy has to choose between 2 nice ladies, usually it's between the good one and a bad influence (as with Lorena and Sara), but I did remember that in Destilando, Rodrigo also had Doctora Erika, who was also good, before returning to Gaviota.
 

Wow Ferro, great recap!
Your new strategy works perfect!

Our Alonslow is really slow - all the boob-hints from Sara - and he is still wondering what is happening.

"Mexican mating ritual" - you got me here! I was laughing hard!

How about that - our Lorena was shouting the truth into Snorty's face! I don't think that Snorty ever could have imagine that! Especially from someone like Lorena!

I wonder how far the Maruja - Jaime romance is going. And it's definitely going somewhere!

Hombre de misterio, I also noticed that in telenovela world they always have this 2-1 ratio - two galans - one girl . May be because the biggest audience are ladies and one galan is not enough?! ( well, Dr.Erica was a treat for you, guys)
 

It seems that instead of love triangles, the novelas feature love squares. The two main characters are each pursued by others . These others try to keep the main pair apart in a variety of ways. Sometimes there is more than one person after one or both of the main characters. In Alborada, Hippolita had her husband Antonio and the snaky fake Count Diego after her, while frigid wifey Esperanza and Perla the Prostitute were both in hot pursuit of the dashing and popular Luis for 2 very different reasons ...Esperanza wanted a baby and Perla wanted hot monkey loving . In Amor Real, Antonio wanted his onetruelove Matilde back again, while the scheming housekeeper Antonia lusted relentlessly after hotheaded Manuel. In Pasion, several people were attempting to get in the way of love's arrow : dirty old Jorge and the pure Santiago were both in the running for Camila , while hot-to-trot Jorge's daughter [can't remember her name] and batty Liz both wanted a piece of the gorgeous RicRicRic...then as an offshoot, Camila's sister was jealous of Santiago's obsession with Camila and the repulsive Lafont was after cousin Liz.. It's always a tangled web of she wants him but he wants her and she wants him...and round and round it goes. . similar to junior high school ....Janie loves Johnny but Johnny loves Sandy and Sandy loves Bobby but Bobby wants Janie and around and around we go. It's a veritable maze of interconnecting relationships.
 

You are so right. You also reminded me of how good a show can be by mentioning Pasion. Can we get those writers working again? It doesn't have to be an expensive period piece, just whatever. Come on guys, the novela world needs you. Look at what is happening, nobody watches these other shows enough. Only 8 comments on this thread! Pasion recaps regularly got into the 30s or more. We need good writing.
 

So true Susanlynn. One of my most common mistakes that I catch when proofreading is that I put the wrong names down when recapping. It's way too confusing sometimes.

Ferro, I was responding to a comment that Carmel made on Friday's recap. And yeah, it's very obvious when you get a great show like Pasion that sticks way out above the rest. Anyone know what Estrada is up to next? I'll bet J.R. knows if she's around. (I'll admit I have been peeking at Doña Barbara over on Telemundo. It's pretty good and Edith Gonzalez is fantastic. Christian Meier is hot. The only thing missing is Marlena Favel.)

Eve, Lorena doing the verbal smack-down on Snorty was my absolute fave moment of the night. She gets a "10" for that one!
 

I thought about watching Dona Barbara but realized I just wouldn't have time for it. I would have tried to find the time if Marlene Favela was in it.
 

Ferro, great job on the recap - well and tightly written.

The boat scene was embarrassing to watch. I mean, if the guy's smart enough to be a doc...

Re this whole wretched storyline, I remember one of those extracurricular books that got passed around when I first went off to college. The one I'm thinking of was "Justine" by (no kiddin') the Marquis de Sade and, as I recall, was a long tale about an orphan girl's incessant tribulations while protecting her virtue. At the end, her promiscuous sister rescues Justine and takes her to her home whereupon Justine is killed by a lightning strike.

Or something like that. I guess the lesson would be for PF Lorena not to walk around in storms anymore.
 

Ferro,
Soon ( in a few weeks) the producer Nicandro Díaz(same as in "Destilando") will start filming a new tn with Fernando Colunga "Mañana es para siempre". Together with Fer in a picture will be Lucero ( "Alborada") and Silvia Navarro - both are real beauties. So, the visual part will be good for sure! This is a remake of the very succesful telenovela from Columbia "Pura sangre" ( Purebred).
So, let's hope that by the end of the year we will have something much more entertaining then anything right now.
 

Thanks Eve, I'll look forward to that!
 

Thanks for the fun and Snarky recap Ferro =)

My dos centavos on Monica vs Ernesto, is that she feels it is her duty to take care of daddy's hard earned money (ie, her inheritance). Neto is making a ridiculously high salary (at least in her eyes) and aside from his fame, she has yet to see any evidence of his skills. She also wanted to make sure he didn't spend an obscene amount of $$$ on the kitchen staff, or that they were a bunch of incompetent buddies of his, and she hinted that if he spend too much money there, it would have to come from another budget item (ie, the ingredients). I guess it's to show the difference between what a corporate suit/bean counter thinks is best, versus what a self-absorbed artist (Neto) thinks. I smell another romance... Chances are he'll start pursuing our poor Lore, while Monica pursues him, and around we go on yet another side romance, but at least with a little more passion =)

During Neto and Lore's exchange, they joked around about how many girlfriends he had. He said he actually had 17, but 2 were out of town, and three were mad at him, that's why he was only ordering a dozen panques (pound cakes, mini ones in this case).
 

Thanks, Eve, that bit of chisme and for that ray of hope...I was wondering if Fernando was starting another novela since I am in desperate need of my Fernando fix even though I am keeping my spirits up by watching Eduardo baking and riding and ranting and putting the moves in Fuego. Enemiga offers nada for me. Alonslow just seems to be wandering around the set. People tell him : ''Put on this pullover sweater.'' ''Stand here.'' ''Get in the boat.'' ''Stare at those boobs on that boob over there.'' He makes Pablo Montero look absolutely vivacious bordering on frantic. I wonder if Carla Estrada has anything in the works. She is a freakin' telenovela genius. I love her.
 

Schoolmarm : Your nextdoor neighbors in the hotel must be wondering what is going on in your room !!!!
 

Susanlynn--ROTFL to all your comments, especially about my neighbors! I guess they didn't call the management so I must have stifled effectively enough. I'm home tonight after a week on the road, so it won't matter who in the next room is bothered because hubby knows my addiction to TNs.

Loved reading all the comments and story line speculation. Personally, I think Monica is the one who can bring Ernie to heel; she's brava enough to ignore his flirting. For my money, he's going to hedge his bets and pursue both Lorena and Monica OR he's going to pursue Lorena but find himself so attracted to Monica that he can't help himself and they fuss with each other all the time because he's ticked off that he is attracted to her and she ignores him.

Jeanne
 

Here I am! I have been thinking, as Sylvia mentioned, that Barbara will get bumped off. I kind of feel sorry for her because she's not all bad.

Great funny recap, as always, Ferro -- it's amazing how often you say things I've been thinking. I didn't like the actor who plays Jaime in the past, either (although he was good in Piel de Otono), but he's very sympathetic in this role, and Jaime is not the easiest character to make likeable.

I got a big laugh out of your annoying your wife with a Chalo impression. Chalo is so irritating, but something tells me the actor enjoys playing him.

About recapping in commercial breaks - I used to make very brief notes on paper and then write them up in the breaks, and that worked pretty well for me. Especially in a show with plenty of things to make fun of, which this one is turning out to be.

Is it just me or does Alonso look very much like a Ken doll?
 

"Is it just me or does Alonso look very much like a Ken doll?"

Carmel--looks like one, walks like one, talks like one.

Jeanne
 

Thinks like one, too.
 

Ken's hair moves more.
 

Haha!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder