Tuesday, September 16, 2008

El Cuerpo del Deseo - 9-15 Let's meet the characters

In the first episodes yesterday, we met most of the main characters. This is Isabel, the young (hot) woman who is getting ready to get married to...

Don Pedro José (PJ) Donoso, an 70-year old wealthy factory owner. The other guy is his servant, Walter.

This is Abigail, his housekeeper

Abigail's two sons, L-R, Antonio, who is hardworking and studies at the University and Simon, who works in PJ's factory but seems frivolous and hits on the maids. Antonio is smitten with Ángela right away.

PJ and the GIGANTIC portrait of his first wife in his library.
Gayétana, a fortuneteller or witch. The spirits haven't been giving her very good advice on what to wear. She comes to warn PJ not to marry Isabel but he isn't interested in her advice and tells her to leave and not bother him again.

Valeria, Isabel's mousy cousin, who seems to have health problems.

Andrés, PJ's right hand man in the factory. He is also Isabel's secret lover and obvious bad guy.

Ángela, PJ's daughter by his first marriage. She seems to have had her soul transmigrated from the 1960's. With that hair and raccoon eyes, I wouldn't be shocked to see her in go go boots. She believes her father has neglected her and she doesn't like the idea of his marrying Isabel.

PJ keeps having these dreams about a peasant. It was hard to get a decent shot since the camera lens was smeared with vaseline or something. What we can say is that Salvador, the peasant, has extremely bad clothes but when he takes his shirt off, it's a different matter.

PJ has health problems and collapses with a sort of heart attack during the wedding reception so he doesn't get to see Isabel's fancy underwear unless she wears that kind of thing every day. I think PJ's doctor tells him not to have sex with her. So we're just waiting for Mario to exchange bodies with PJ or whatever it is that happens.

Labels:


Comments:
Small edit: PJ's right-hand man is Andres Corona, not Simon.

I can say one thing: Gaetana's dress sense does not improve as the show progresses.
 

Thanks CC. I will fix.
 

Thanks so much for the profiles, Jean. Telemundo didn't get captions yesterday in the Chicago area, so I was kind of lost. This will be a big help.

I wasn't too captivated with the first episodes; at this point I am only watching to see Mario, but hopefully the rest of the story will lure me in. I wish he had been on more--I used up good DVD space waiting for him! Oh well, hopefully things will pick up today.
 

wow why isn't there ever any of that (first picture) in the shows that I'M watching?
 

You're not watching the right shows, Chris!!! ;-)
 

Ugh, I hate when they show women in those kinds of outfits. It's bad enough when they show cleavage!
 

Thanks, Jean. I caught a few minutes of Tuesday's show and this recap gave me names for some faces I saw.
 

Oh, we’re off to an auspicious start here, kids. Plenty of sparks flying & looks to kill in this inaugural episode.

I think what we have here is a real, old-school, shock and awe T-E-L-E-N-O-V-E-L-A, with all the heaving chests, raised eyebrows, bug-eyed looks, back-handed gasps, and scary music that they can cram down our throats. (I find that telenovela music can make or break a show for me. The soundtrack here thus far is even less subtle than the acting. I hope they both improve over time.)

Speaking of acting I hope to see improve - the boys, Antonio & Simón, better start staying after acting class. If Simón doesn’t tone down the goofiness, I’m going to be tempted to mute his dialogue. Erick Elías (Antonio)- if I have the story straight - is a winner of a Telemundo contest where the prize was a telenovela role. (I don’t think this role was the prize, but I might be wrong.) Let’s hope he eventually deserves it.

I always thought Lorena Rojas was one the most beautiful actresses working in telenovelas today, so I was shocked to see how much she’s changed since I last saw her years ago. She’s obviously still beautiful, but why the nose job? She was just as attractive with her own, and less generic-looking. Looks like her teeth have been done also. Again, seems unnecessary to me. At least they’re not applying her makeup with a trowel, which seems to be tool of choice for Vanessa Villela’s (Angela) makeup artist. Good heavens, if the woman wears any more eye makeup her lashes will lock her lids together. Also, the excessive lip gloss makes her look like she’s drooling. Yeeeeshhhh…

Ah, then we have the demure, frail cousin Valeria, the counterbalance to the vixen Isabel. Again, the stereotypes at this point are so broadly drawn you could drive a truck through them so we’ll see what happens with time.

CC:, thanks for the heads-up about Isabel's mother not being a long-term character. That's a light at the end of the tunnel I'll take at this stage of the game. ;-)

As much as I adore Mario Cimarro’s face, I can’t deny that every time he flashes that bare chest, it redefines my heartbeat at least a little. ;-) However, I couldn’t fully enjoy the dream scene with him running through the woods because I kept expecting him to hit a tree during one of his backward glances. Would've been a funny (but decidedly unsexy) way to end a dream sequence…
 

Another note: I'm highly anticipating the screen debut of Mario's German Shepherd, Mambo, in the role as the Donoso family pooch. I bet he takes direction better than Abigail's boys... ;-)
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder