Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Fuego, Wed., Sep. 3: “Sarita; show me on the doll where the bad man touched you.”

Buenas noches a todos.

I never thought I’d say this, but, I’d rather watch some Annie-Oakley Republican talk about castrating homosexuals and privatizing social security than watch Juan and Sofia bitch about the same “problems.”

With that being said, I regretfully present you with tonight’s recap:

Nothing like a good, fair fight! Make that, two guys hold-back Juan, beat him when he’s down, then drag him by a horse. Ah, but how could I be so silly, Juan’s brothers ride in on horseback and start shooting. Now Juan gets to punch Fernie until Fernie punches him. I haven’t seen anything so messy since Ron Paul’s speech at the RNC! Anyway, Juan tells Fernie that this is his property as he gives him a boot to the throat.

Sofia pays a visit to Raquel, but it’s not a courtesy visit. God, could Sofia be any ruder? She wants to know what Gabi told her so that she would give up the Robles-Reyes lands. Raquel beats around the bush. Sofia, who’s full of questions and shit, wants to know why she was not allowed to talk to Raquel’s sister. Raquel tells her to ask her mother (Gabi).

Speak of the devil: Gabi makes a visit to her doctor, who tells her that he is worried about her health, and that she needs to lay-off the sex. More like lay-off whatever it is she has shoved-up her ass.

Oh boy! Juan’s taking his clothes off, and as you all know, it takes the help of two other grown men to assist him. I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone to enter the shower wearing his underwear. But that’s beside the point. Franco and Oscar relate that if they would have arrived any later Juan would be a dead man. That’s why Oscar demands that Juan never go back to those Robles-Reyes lands, even if they are theirs. Ooo! I saw Juan through the strategically-gapped shower curtain… Oh no, now they are singing…

Gabi is mad that Fernie stood her up at the doctor’s office. He explains that he was protecting her interests; that’s why he’s holding his face, Gabi. She doesn’t believe him, and leaves the room.

Over at the Tumbao Rosario is talking to some woman whom she admires greatly. If you ask me, she’s certainly not much to look at. Rosario asks if she has kids, and she starts to cry. You know what that means…

Eva pays a visit to Raquel. Gabi gave her the boot and she needs a job.

Apparently Sarita and Franco got hitched. Wow; progress in the plot! And I thought nothing happened in this telenovela. The couple enters some abandoned room in the house with a bunch of furniture. Might I point out how extremely moronic it is that this family has what seems like five or six rooms that could easily be converted to bedrooms, yet the three adult men sleep in the same room. Anyway, Sarita wants to know where she is going to sleep, and Franco naturally tells her that she will sleep with him. She tells him that they are only married on paper, and she refuses to sleep, as in rest, with him. Lord knows she wouldn’t want to sleep with him. Oh boy, this is pathetic. They clean the room, and have fun at the same time. Spring cleaning can be purposeful in a number of ways. And in a matter of hours, with the assistance of a complete stage crew and the imagination of Telenovela-land, that rat-trap was turned into a humble country bedroom for two, complete with the checkerboard blankets and piss-yellow paint!

“Sarita; show me on the doll where the bad man touched you.” Let the record show that Sofia never said that, but the way Sarita ran to her, that’s exactly what the script called for. Sarita is crying because Franco wants to have her, and all of her, but she isn’t ready. In all fairness, she updated her wardrobe to the times of the Oregon Trail, and made a strong effort to paint some lavender on her eyelids. Give the girl a break, Franco.

Oh! Pedro says that it’s time for him to leave. Oh no, anytime someone leaves the Reyes Boarding House of Magically-Appearing Rooms Oscar gets choked up and they have some fifteen-minute scene where everyone in the family cries. Can’t wait.

Gabi looks stunning in her silk-red pajama suit. Sort of makes her look like a man. Anyway, she’s confident, and that’s all that matters. So confident that she tries to warm-up to Fernie, only to be rejected. So rejected that Fernie suggests sleeping in separate rooms…on doctor’s orders, of course!

Tonight is certainly a night of male eroticism, if you can call this pathetic ploy at boosting the ratings erotic. Franco is sporting an unusually tight, and certainly uncomfortable, pair of undies that undoubtedly are accompanied by a sock, or two (if the rumors are correct). He wonders why Sarita is uncomfortable with his presence. She is modest, and has to undress with her back turned. If my memory serves me correctly, didn’t they have sex under a tree? Then again, so many people on this show have screwed under a tree or on a haystack that I can’t be sure about anything. This is interesting—Franco is wrestling and groping Sarita so that she will kiss him. Yeah, he’s pretty much molesting her.

Ah, then we see Juan and Sofia in a parallel scene, complete with the same blanket and all. Nothing new here, just the usual, until someone knocks on the door and Juan answers. It’s Gabi! And she demands to see the letter that Bernie wrote which accuses Fernie. Juan calls Oscar, and then wraps him in a blanket for exposing himself: at least someone in this family has a little decency. Juan hands-over the letter that condemns Fernie, but he’s stupid for doing it because we all know Gabi will end up denying the content and then destroy it. The letter says that Fernie is one of the worst men on earth. I could have told you that. Naturally, Gabi can’t believe it. And we didn't see that coming? Ah, Sarita comes in and finds her. Oh, Franco too. It’s a pajama party! Gabi asks why Sarita is there, and Franco tells her that they got married.

Fernie is looking for the letters that Bernie hid. I wish I, too, had the innate ability to ask myself where something is two times and then find it immediately. I never would have guessed that Bernie would hide the letters he wrote behind the portrait of himself in a hole in the wall that would never naturally be there. Fernie thinks that he is saved because he found the letters.

Gabi braces herself, leans forward, and slaps the crap out of her daughter. All three of you are worthless. She then rips-up the letter. Told ya’ so!

Eva is serving some tea to Raquel, when she asks who the pretty girl in the picture is—Ruth, Raquel’s only daughter.

Gabi comes barging in as Fernie lies down to sleep. She tells him that she read Bernie’s letter. He explodes, but then sees how he can spin this: He betrayed you, and never loved you like I. She tells him not to worry, and that she destroyed it. This calls for a kiss, at least. He resists, but then concedes.

Since all the scapegoats/daughters have moved out, Gabi has to take-out her wrath on her incapacitated father. She tells him that he should have prevented the wedding, etc. He tells her that the only reason she doesn’t want Sarita married is because the Reyes are poor, and she has no right to be upset since she gave Sarita the boot. Now Gramps is giving her the boot.

Fernie is snooping in the bedroom and “stumbles across” Gabi’s checkbook. Gabi still has a lot of money, says Fernie. He takes something fiscally important.

Gabi goes to talk to Raquel. Raquel needs her help, and she promises not to reveal their secret. Eva shows up and Gabi wants to know what she is doing there.

Padre Tadeo is singing to the children. Fernie comes slithering along, and breaks-up choir practice. The Padre tells him that his presence goes against his principles, and that the Reyes will get back at his bad-doings. He always finds a way to relate the situation at hand back to the Reyes. As always, Fernie wants to confess, but Padre Tadeo will not allow it.

Gabi tells Raquel to fire Eva, and Raquel refuses. Well if that’s the way it’s gonna be, then I can’t help you. Raquel is between a rock and a hard place, and has to fire Eva.

Oh God, it’s Unibrow! (Sorry, I forgot that almost every telenovela has a unibrow; here I am referring to the pathetically-painful Luis Antonio from Barrera de Amor.) Why is El Lobo driving him around? And why are they following Pedro?

Fernie goes to confess and holds up a photo of Libia, and admits that he killed her. He says it several times proudly. Of course, Fernie thinks the whole situation is ironically funny, and the Padre can’t do anything about it.

Fernie goes to see Rosario. She tells him that if she can’t leave, then she’s going to tell Gabi on him. He tells her that if she does, he will hurt Luisito. Afterall, he is his father.

Padre Tadeo prays to God to help him through the dark night. He remembers Libia as the object of Fernie’s rage and craziness. What will happen when the Reyes finally discover that Libia was brutally murdered by Fernando Escardon?

El Lobo has found Pedro and wants to know where he is going. Pedro tells him that he is going to Guadalajara. Apparently Jeff, El Jefe, wants to talk to him.

Eva, who has nowhere to go, humbly shows up at the Lord’s House with her bag and most likely plans on staying in the convent, just like Karla on Al Diablo con los Guapos. Behind Eva is that singer whom we saw earlier. She identifies Eva as the woman who pretends to be Rosario’s mother. She asks if Eva needs help. Of course I do! I’m homeless. The woman brings her into her dressing room, and apparently Eva is now her assistant. Like fake mother, like daughter: there’s no business like show business. The singer obviously wants information from Eva, and will stop at nothing to get it.

Pedro tells the bros. that Jeff has been following him. The boys promise to protect him and get to the bottom of this.

The girls are cooking and discussing Bernie. Tomorrow is the anniversary of Libia and Bernie’s death. The girls ask Quintina what Libia’s name is, but she pretends to have watery eyes.

Quinti goes to tell the bros. how she avoided talking about Libia, and Juan decides that it’s time to tell the girls the truth, for the fifteenth time this month.

Tomorrow: Sofia finds a doll with an “R” on the back; yes, it belonged to Libia. Juan decides to tell the truth which brings the Elizondos and Reyes together. Fernie explains to Gabi why he has Libia’s necklace.

All I can say is Shoot me now…it was this or the RNC, and I chose the latter.

Labels:


Comments:
Ow!!! Nic, you batted this one out of the park!
 

Ah Nicolás. Que chistoso eres. I agree with one of your commenters last week, that you are in possession of a wit that will only grow more dangerous. I enjoyed your snarky humor as usual. Thanks for the laughs.

The woman who met Rosario in her dressing room is Margarita, if you missed a couple of episodes, who appears to be the true Momma of Rosario but no one is likely to tell the truth of this for several more months. You might even get out of it if you beg off to take final exams before the end of December. Or maybe never which ever comes first.
 

Hahaha! Yeah, sorry about that... What can I say; I've missed a few episodes. At least this way when I am introduced to a new (or in this case, old) character it's like I'm meeting them for the first time!
 

And thank you, Julie! I always was really good at T-Ball...
 

Such a great recap!
Oh my things are unfolding!
I figured Stompnando would go and rub that picture in someones nose!
The poor Padre must feel like he is running around like a chicken with its head cut off!
How does anyone live running the confesson booths?!
How did Oscar get Libia's necklace?

Uhh Im so detemained and wanting to catch up on this show!
But its impossible with the upcomeing split and me decorateing a room (with out permisson) and trying to handle my anoying mother. My anger got the best of me recently and i lashed out physicly at my mother!
 

No, Sarita and Franco never did it under a tree. That was either Sofi and Juan, or Rosario and Franco, or Jimena and Oscar, depending on which episode you saw.

I really thought Oscar put that little box back in Feo's safe and never saw Libia's necklace. Either I saw that wrong, or else he comes back to see what's in the little box...
 

Emilee, if you are feeling that angry and frustrated, I hope you will speak to someone professionally (at school, church, wherever) about what's going on in your life. It sounds like you might be under more stress than your friends can help you with.
 

Thanks for the recap Nicholas. Your recaps are always good and this is another gem. I had to dial away when I saw Feo "confessing" again. It's really getting old...him shocking the poor Padre.
 

I REALLY doubt that Feo's last "confession" could be protected under padre-sinner confidentiality. The padre already warned him he wasn't going to hear his confession. And Feo's declaration wasn't a confession anyway - it was a brag. FAIL!
 

Yea I have been talking to my dad about living with him aftr the spilt. I only lashed out because of being so bottled up keeping so much inside.

Quick Fuego question
did we ever find about Fernando's family.
 

We don't know anything new about Feo's peeps yet, but he's got that snake tattoo, and Raquel's husband has that snake belt buckle, so it's possible that they shop at the same strip mall or something...

And I just rewatched the avance for tomorrow: I think that's still Feo with the necklace.
 

Oh, Nic, you are my snark-mate..I was laughing so hard I was crying reading this.
--Alas Franco didn't hit that under the tree, Sarita is such a charmer isn't she?--

Juan was wearing Oscar's tight black undies, this family is just way too effin close. The boyz all slept in the same room because they are so poor they could only afford one night light.

It is Fer that has the necklace, he is going to tell Crabi he whacked Libia & they better reinforce the springs cause she is gonna wear Fer out over that little romantic act.

Are the brothers confused and wearing Pablitos sz 10 boys fruit of the looms? Juan does have that reading problem.

Another day another act of stupidity.
 

You all are great. We are living the great quote: "let us suffer together." If we hate it, think how the actors must be feeling. yet it is so sleazily entertaining if you can tolerate the redundancy. Oh no, I missed an appearance of Unibrow? As y'all may remember, everybody bailed on Barrera but at the end I picked it up and blogged it by myself for a few weeks. I saw enough of Unibrow to last a lifetime. And coincidentally, this show seems it will last a lifetime too. Sofia will be old and gray and still pregnant with this same baby.
 

I knew Ruth was for real. Soon we will see her. Strange that Gabi did not comment about Fernando getting pummelled.


Ibarramedia
 

I thought this was suppose to be a novela recap, not a Republican bashing outlet. I don't care to know what Nic's political views are at the expense of insulting others.
 

Nic: Great recap. You are a wunderkind at recapping.

I'm still trying to hang on with this novela. The great recaps keep me into it.

From lower Ala
 

Why did Feo have to find those documents? I was hoping that Gramps or one of the Reyes' would find them.

Franco sure did fix up that other room fast for Sarita & him.
Maybe there are other secret rooms in the bakery.
 

Thanks for the recap Nic! Where to start...

I guess our question of where everyone sleeps has been answered. In Brigadoon rooms magically appear out of nowhere. Could Sarita act any more juvenile..This is my side and this is your side. I can tell you if I spent all that time making the room look nice and painting it and all that and someone drew a chalk line down the middle of it...let's just say there would be hell to pay.

If Oscar has his neck in a very manly neck brace and a sling on one arm, how did he ride his horse and shoot at the bad guys? I'm just saying....

How much did Feo have to pay the "doctor" to tell Crabi they couldn't have sex?

Anybody want to throw out a word for the day?
 

Emilee, Julie is right you need to talk to someone. You might also check with your school counselor. If they can't help you I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. It's a tough time for everyone so hang in there. You can always vent to us.
 

Nic: FABULOSO!!!! Came to the FELs party a little late so I missed most of it but once again, there's NO WAY it could compare with your wit & snark. Molte bene, mi amico!

No sex for Crabi? Well, it's not like Feo's lovin' improved her mood much.

I think they should rename this show "Detener Desarollo" since the entire cast needs to grow up! (forgive my attempts at translation...I'm sure I screwed something up)

Fuego Maggie
:-)
 

I am remembering back to when Sarita was lecturing Sofia on what a great guy Feo was and how she should give him more of a chance.

Now Sarita's drawing chalk lines... and that's with a guy she LIKES!

My sister and I used to "draw a line" with our fingers in the velour upholstery on the back seat of the family car. "Stay on your own side!!" We were like 10 and 6. And that might have been juvenile even for a 10-yo kid, but my sister was hyperactive, so that was just self-defense on my part. Honest.
 

My brothers used to share a room and they would fight all the time. It was so bad my dad had to build a wall to divide their sides of the room! I thought it was funny.
 

Cheryl NMex: A couple of days ago (if I could remember exactly, I wouldn't ask) you mentioned Spanish movies and your favorite movies/directors. Would you repeat that for me - or tell me the day you posted it? Thanks.
 

Anonymous 7:51: To parallel the words of the cutie Leslie Gore: It's my recap, and I'll say what I want to. Now, if you'd like to replace me and make this a pragmatic, bipartisan telenovela recap website, let me know.
 

Nicolas, you are way toooo funny! I started laughing when I read the title and continued throughout including the description of the wall color: piss yellow! You have a wonderful sense of humor and I truly look forward to your recap. Thanks for giving me the first laugh of the day!

Telenovelera in AZ
 

My Spanish word of the day is
"Agusanado" which means Grubby.

Now how obvious was Raquel when Eva asked her about that photo of Ruth. She was soooo nervous. Ruth must be Eva's daughter.
 

Good word Lola. It certainly fits our boys.
 

Thanks for the recap, Nico. Love your title!

Fuego Maggie --- Better yet, how does one translate Arrested Development?

Thank heavens for the FFWD button while I watch the recording today.

doris
 

Doris, you'll have to pause and replay on the shower/underwear scenes! (at least I will ;-})
 

Hello, everybody, blog mom here. Nicolas, hysterical recap, you are right on my wavelength. I defend you to the end!

That said - everybody, this is a telenovela blog so let's try to stay on topic if possible.
 

Aw, Doris, you just had to mention Arrested Development. Now I'm feeling all nostalgic for... when was it... 2006?

Somehow I think the Robles-Reyes and the Elizondo-Acevedos could relate to the Bluths.
 

Doris & Julie: yup, that's what I was shooting for! It's all I can think of with the antics of almost every character on this show. The time/space continuum has stunted their emotional growth so they haven't matured past age 13.

BTW, I'm w/ you Julie...that was one really funny show...can't believe they killed it.

Fuego Maggie
 

Does anyone else have trouble hearing Coyote when he talks? It always seems like background noises drown him out. He should keep his hat on. He's more intimidating with it on. I'd like him to take one of Feo's nasty cigars and smash it in his face!
 

Pasafino, I originally talked about this when Nicolás told us he was looking forward to taking a LatinAmerican film class this fall. About my Spanish movie habit (addiction really): My favorites include Pedro Aldomóvar - anything he does; Guillermo del Toro - El Laberinto del Fauno, El Espinazo del Diablo and his English work Hellboy; and Alejandro Gonzales Iñaritu - Amores Perros, 21 Grams (English), Babel (4 languages); add to that Alfonso Cuaron - Y Tu Mama También. Also I recently saw a very charming Argentine film from 2002 by Carlos Sorin - Historias Minimas. Yesterday I had to add Woody Allen's new Latin bilingual venture: Vicky Christina Barcelona. Netflix has a great Spanish film collection so you can live in really remote places and still see hundreds of fabulous films. I also took two semesters of films made in Spain at Cervantes Institute here in Abq.NM a couple of years ago.

I wish some of these terrific telenovela actors had an easier time crossing over to the big screen. Fernando Colunga is trying and I know our Juan, Eduardo Yáñez tried without total success to make it in Holywood. He is really good in his small roles but he seems typecast as a Latino drug dealer, et.al. I don't know why they have trouble when some like Javier Bardem and Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz have had great success. Eduardo and Fernando have great talent in my opinion. Oh the mysteries of Hollywood.
 

I do like him better with the hat, but it's probably a good idea to take your hat off when meeting with the Boss.
 

Spelling correction: Alejandro González Iñárritu
 

You are probably right Julie. When I saw El Jefe--or should I saya El Jefe's unibrow I about rolled off the couch laughing. You guys weren't kidding about that. Two words--eyebrow wax. Do you think we'll get to see more of his face tonight or just more unibrow scenes?
 

Fabulous recap from the title right to the end, Nicolás and I like your new picture too. Keep on keepin' on and don't change a thing about your style.
 

Cheryl NewMex: Thanks for the info. Yes, it is hard to understand why EY and FC have not made it bigger in the big screen. I thought Ladron was just plain silly and not up to FC's ability. I saw part of an old movie with EY in which he played a father of a young child. In English he seemed ineffective or not directed properly. It was almost as if he needed coaching in intonation because the roar that we hear in Spanish was gone in English.

I hope this is blog material.
 

I think El Jefe, aka Unibrow, is Sergio Reynoso. I saw him recently in the replay of Rosalinda that ended last Friday. He played a rich heavy in that too who tended to lurk behind tinted SUV glass. Tonight we should find out.
 

Maybe he hides behind tinted glass because he is ashamed of his Unibrow. Should we call him Jeff the Unibrow or just Uni for short? :)
 

El Jefe looks like he has 2 woolly caterpillars stuck on his face.

Yikes!

Fuego Maggie
 

Does el Jefe have one of those magic SUV's too?
 

Thank you Judy! I appreciate your support.

Cheryl; I am loving Latin-American Film. So far I love Cabeza de Vaca and Yo, la Peor de Todas. Speaking of Spanish Film, did you see Goya's Ghosts? I thought the historical accuracy and portrayal of Napoleon vs. Catholic Church/Spanish people was excellent. Natalie Portman pre The Other Boleyn Girl was excellent. Loved it!
 

I wonder if FC and EY's lack of success in Hollywood has something to do with their command of English. You can have a strong accent- think Javier Bedem, Penelope Cruz--and still make it really big in American movies, but your have to be fluent and super confident with the language. You can't just be a talented actor.
 

FC can speak in any language he wants, as far as I'm concerned. Who needs words when all you want to do is look? and drool? and imagine?

Fuego (man, it's hot now) Maggie
;-)
 

Oh, I also really like La Casa de Bernarda Alba, which reminds me so much of Fuego en la Sangre.
 

That scene in the van with unibrow made me think--now where have I seen this before? And then it came to me! The neighbor, Wilson (Earl Hindman) in HOME IMROVEMENT, 1990s, whose full face was never ever shown--only eyes and forehead. Of course, that got pretty stale fro me after a while, so I hope these van scenes don't continue. I mean the jefe is never shown for 3 full months and then we see only the unibrow. CHILDISH.
 

Maggie. I agree that FC can talk in any language he wants. I only need to look, not hear, but we're talking HOLLYWOOD now and the Americans cannot strain their ears nor drain their brains too much.
Personally, I think the Mexican (LA) actors have total supremacy over the American actors. I don't know any American actors who can touch the likes of FC, EY, Jaime Camil, Jorge Aravena, etc...
And, between the great dancing, singing, and BODIES in Destilando, I am content!
 

Nic..Stellar My Man..
There are those who get it and there are those who don't..if you don't get it, you never will. It is evolutionary dead end, the unability to see and snark other's point of view. It is like Cool, either you are or you aren't, you can't buy it, fake it or learn it.
(By the By Nick, you are)
 

Nic, what a great recap! I enjoyed every word and smiled through every sentence. Thank you. This is my first time posting on Fuego (first was on Guapos yesterday). Perhaps I am in the minority but I am enjoying Fuego - I try to keep in mind that the actors are doing the best job with the material they have been given. Cherylnewmex and pasofino, I agree with both of your comments in terms of EY and FC and how difficult it is to successfully cross over to movies. Thanks for all the comments and for the excellent job all of the recappers do. Diana in MA
 

Cheryl, re: TN stars crossing to the big screen. Ladron was fun, but it just lacked polish. It felt more like a made-for-TV movie (do they still make those?). But with TBLMOE, I'm not complaining! I would love to see him in something better-made.

Jaime Camil has done some big-screen work, and more is on the way. I thought he did very well in 7 Dias, and it felt more polished than Ladron. His incredible 'presence' really jumped out in 7 Dias, much more than in his novela work (his presence was important to the plot so maybe that was orchastrated intentionally). He has two in the can, "A propósito de Alexa" and "All Inclusive." Plus three more in various stages of production (the one about the tango legend sounds appealing). Considering how Tontas turned out, maybe he'll put more of his energy into stage and big-screen.

Finally, did anyone see Eugenio Derbez in Misma Luna? I'd never seen him in serious work - I didn't know he had it in him.
 

Beckster--thank you! If not for snarking legendaries like you, I'd be just like anon. 7:51...
 

Diana. You're not in a minority: I too love FUEGO and though they don't quite express it as such, most of the people on the blog can't live without it! There's some excellent acting and fabulous creative touches on the part of the directors/producers. The silliness/lack of realism present in all the telenovelas is to be expected and doesn't impede my enjoyment in the slightest.
I end up falling in love with most of the telenovelas, always trying to ignore the criticisms that precede their inaugurations. Those who continually criticize and make fun of everything are the same ones that rarely miss an episode. As long as we can continue to both laud and sneer in almost equal proportions, we're OK, I guess.
 

Thanks, Nic. Your recaps are always clever and interesting. You have a great future ahead of you with that great sense of humor and excellent writing ability. You have skillz that will serve you well , hombre. About Spanish actors in American movies, I've enjoyed Eduardo in all the American movies I've seen him in, but he never gets much screen time. He is usually cast as a bodyguard or a drug dealer. I heard an interview of Antonio Banderas in which he said that in his first American movie [''Mambo Kings''], he couldn't speak any English and had to memorize his lines phonetically. I am a big fan of Javier Bardem. He and Antonio are both from Spain. I'm not sure where Penelope Cruz is from. Hub and I were going to see her in ''Vicky Christina Barcelona'', but we went to the wrong movie theater and ended up seeing ''WALL E'' instead...what a big mistake. Now, back to our show....so Dr. Quackquack says no sexual relations for our Crabi...I guess we all know now how she's going to die because she didn't seem to be concerned about following doctor's orders when she got back to the hacienda and found old , battered Ferd. He's probably thinking ...''Yeah well, if she dies, she dies.''
 

Connie.....here are a couple of more "word of the day" examples...phrases, really, that came up in this episode....

In the fight scene I heard Juan use the word "pinzas" which means clothespins or bobby pins (remember those?) However in Mexico there's a saying "Tratar a alguien con pinzas" which means treat somebody with kid gloves.

The other expression, which Sarita used, but I've heard a gazillion times in telenovelas is "¡ni que ocho cuartos!" meaning No way!!!
 

Thanks JudyB those are good ones. I'll add them to my list. I signed up for the word of the day e-mail and that is helpful also.

I really do enjoy this show. I know we all make fun of it but secretly we enjoy it on some level or we wouldn't watch. I kind of thought Unibrow looked a little like Bert of Bert & Ernie on Sesame Street.
 

Nic, you are so right about La Casa de Bernarda Alba! A small, independent theater group in San Francisco (near where I live) did a Lorca festival this summer. They put on Yerma, Bernarda Alba and Bodas de Sangre with a repertory cast. I had read Bernarda Alba in my Spanish class, so it was really fun to see it on the stage. And, yes, I think the actress playing Bernarda Alba was definitely channeling Crabi. The play reminded me so much of La Casa de los Elizandos!

One more thing, I agree with Julie. How in the world could the seal of the confessional apply to a snake who bursts uninvited into the booth, doesn't respond to the priest's "Ave Maria Purissima", and then confesses to murder to torture the priest? Of course, if Padre Tadeo didn't keep quiet about it the novela would be over because Juan would finish Feo off fairly quickly.

Penélope Cruz is Spanish. The very first thing I saw her in was Jamon, Jamon, also with Javier Bardem. It was really funny and hot, hot hot!
 

Oh yeah, Javier Bardem was in Goya's Ghosts...
 

Always enjoy your recaps, Nicolas

Changing subjects... I thought Eva was so impulsive last night. It must be contagious. She drags that huge suitcase around and finally ends up at Raquel's who is kind enough to give her employemnt and we know Eva reallly has no job skills besides, maybe as a nanny. But then, she'll boink the dad. Then Crabi comes over and instead of eavesdropping for info she bursts in to confront Crabi and gets Raquel in trouble and herself fired. If Rosario's mom hadn't been conveniently in chirch, Eva would be a nun or at the Reyes' in another magically appearing room. Sheesh,
G in CA
 

Sorry, bad spelling and punctuation. Need to use my glasses more.
G in CA
 

I read before how Mexico used to crank out godzillions of movies a year, but I forgot what they said, now only a few are made a year. I think most movies shown in Mexico are American, dubbed. I know when I was there they had James Bond for a buck in the markets and it had only been out here for like three weeks. The average Naco/Nacas are crazy for anything American. Orlando Bloom was all over my nieces walls.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

I think it was Eva's way of thumbing her nose at Crabi... not very smart really but it was kind of funny.
 

Nic, I couldn't believe you had it up before it even aired in Oregon (yes I enjoyed your Oregon Trail comment)! But I always read after I watch, generally at lunch at work! You were as always freak'n brilliant!

My mouth full of coke moment was "Fernie is looking for the letters that Bernie hid. I wish I, too, had the innate ability to ask myself where something is two times and then find it immediately." One day my keyboard will be the loser!

The picture of Ruth looked like an actress that was in Sexo, pudor y lagrimas" with Mr. Salinas. I discovered that when I went on my search for all things JS! I wonder how his English is since he does not really have any US acting credits.

EY on the other hand speaks very good English, so that can not be what is limiting him in crossing over. He was Adrienne Bailon's dad in All You've Got and MTV Volleyball movie that my daughter was into.

Being new to the Novella world, I am seeing some really great actors for the first time and looking for other things they have done, and I think Hollywood is missing out on some great talent. Like my man Jorge!!!

Yes, all of the underpants made me very happy last night. And Nic I would just like to pretend that was aaaallllll Fraco!
 

Oh, by the way, in case anyone who cares doesn't already know this - I was wrong about Dr. Gomez/Matasanos/Quack being the same guy who played Lorenzo Onate in Destilando. Dr. Gomez is played by David Rencoret. Onate was played by Luis Uribe.

It was not easy getting Onate's name. IMDB isn't great for telenovela info, and to complicate matters there is more than one actor named Luis Uribe. I ended up having to watch the opening credits of episode 101 (of Destilando) on YouTube to find out for sure who he was.
 

Molly, we were so in luck with the underpants and shower last night! It's nice to see someone who uses the word "underpants" besides me. I asked my son one time something about his underpants and he said, "Mom, why do you call them underpants?" I said, "You wear them under your pants don't you?" (he, he!) He didn't have an answer to that. :)
 

Connie I love the word underpants! But if my son gets sassy about my word choice, I start calling them panties, that totally freaks him out. Although I think those little black briefs that Oscar likes to wear almost qualifies as panties!

I did love Oscar refusing to cover up for Crabi and purposfully dropping the table cloth! Maybe she was just really angry because they are way hotter than Feo and now that she is getting some she knows what she is really missing!
 

Oh, and, hey Nic the new pic is great, is that your senior portrait? Very nice!
 

I believe that pinzas can mean pliers,too.mhm
 

I like "underpants." It's the word I grew up with. Molly, what word does your son recommend?
 

Hi everyone, wow….everyone is blogging! We have a lot of comments lately. Yes, this novella is torture for me! It’s like driving by an accident, you just can’t help yourself! I am so sick and tired of Oscar and his undies….and Franco…wow….he’s the brother that got the short end of the stick on brains, but he overcompensated on “other stuff”….hee hee hee. Or like the recapper said, is that a sock or two? And why do we not see Johnny Boy running around in his skivvies? And Quintina….love her! Cracks me up with her Spanglish! “Esperame un moment…dejame ir a lavarme la “face”! Funny/Chistosita! And Sofia, Ms. Prim-and-Proper egging Sarita to bed down her lawfully-wedded husband…what a hypocrite! And does anyone know the reason Gabby was prohibited from having sex? Or do the writers just make stuff up on whim!???? And I agree….about recapper stating this: Might I point out how extremely moronic it is that this family has what seems like five or six rooms that could easily be converted to bedrooms, yet the three adult men sleep in the same room. Writers have sh** for brains, or what?!!!! Totally laughing out loud at this comment: updated her wardrobe to the times of the Oregon Trail, And political comments are welcome, no matter what party you’re on! This is a website to have fun! And yes, let’s stay on the telenovela topic, no talk about therapy, or politics really? Let’s not take ourselves so seriously!
 

Ha, this recap was really funny. I only manage to stay awake through the show once or twice a week but I always enjoy the reviews here.

I usually say "skivvies" for underclothing. "Underpants" makes me think of my grandma and I remember that I always thought it was hilarious when she said it. My little cousin always says "calzoncillas" and I'm not sure why; we're not in general a Spanish-speaking family. I think she picked it up at daycare but I have no idea how...maybe this is a topic that comes up frequently at daycare.
 

julie - I just now looked up 'calzoncillos' and it means ... underpants. I guess that's why they use it. That word would definitely come up at daycare. LOL

Feo .... if the doctor told Crabi "no sex" why did Feo turn down her advances? Seems like she's more valuable to him dead, since Sofia would inherit and he'd have control.

And Crabi --- I guess her secondary goal in life (the first being to torment her family) is to die with a smile on her face.

doris
 

Hi All:
Nic, great recap as always. You inspire some of the greatest comments ever!
Cara, I like your statement about "lauding and sneering" in equal parts, that's what makes this site so much fun.
I agree it was a double header last night, shower AND underpants-wise. Woo-hoo!
Molly, I'm out here in Oregon Trail territory too. We don't dress like Sofia out here, do we? ;o}
"Creemelo"
 

I think the "El Jefe wants to see you Pedro" scene with the SUV was pretty funny -- the window rolled down just enough to see -- a UNIBROW and 2 beady eyes looking over the top of the smoked glass!
ha ha ha!

Thanks for the Annie Oakley comment Nicolas! I'll always have a mental image now of the Alaska Gov in fringed skirt with rhinestone studded six shooters!

PanQue
 

Thanks for the snarky recap, Nic!

Connie, believe me. there's no hurry to see the Unibrow. The caterpillar brows are his better features...
jb
 

Doris, I knew that was what it meant; I just find it funny which things she opts to say in Spanish, versus in English. Apparently "underwear" is a day-care thing to say, even when she's at home.
 

Julie, he prefers boxers, because he is that kind of guy. So sometimes I torment him with "man panties"!

Creemelo, yeah Oregon! I'm in the greater PDX area how about you?

I'm hoping tonight that the evening hasn't ended and we get to start with lots of "man panties" and maybe as the day breaks they can go take a swim, or just have another shower.

And speaking of, that bathroom looks really small, but the day we were treated to Oscar, who somehow shaves his back and Franco in the shower, that seemed like a much bigger space! Is this house Hogwarts? Does it expand and contract as needed? And if there is another room that just needs cleaning up, why didn't Oscar and Jimena get it? Why are they sleeping in the bunkhouse room with all the boys?
 

I think the Reyes house is a Tardis, with rooms appearing and disappearing willy-nilly. After all, Brigadoon isn't all the far from London.
 

Molly:
I'm in that cute little college town about an hour south of Portland (Go Beavs!!!)
And speaking of the bakery, are you thinking of the "Room of Requirements" in Hogwarts, the room that became whatever you needed it to be? Maybe it could have a gigantic shower in it!
"Creemelo"
 

Creemelo! Yay, Beavs! I am Switzerland during civil war because I went to Southern.

Yes, it could be the Room of Requirements! I just don't get why S/F get a room before the other newlyweds!

Maybe no one wants to sleep that close to Sarita!
 

Hmmm...did you notice how Sarita hesitated when she came to the crucifix on the wall, then drew the line way around it to include it on her side?
No Switzerland in that little room!
(Switzerland works for me; I'm not a huge football fan, but I really love all the peripherals: falling leaves, nippy air, the marching band, the flags all over town, etc.)
"Creemelo"
 

But what happened to the giant flannel nighty? When mama showed up she was in much less and a little robe...so was there some nasty going on? For as much as Franco throws himself all over her, he at least was ready to pop the wicked witch a good one and was very sweet to his abused maid. I know everyone hates them, but there is something that keeps me interested.

And Corvallis is better than Eugene (my birth place), less patchuli oil!
 

Molly--I wish somebody would pop the Wicked Witch a good one! Did you notice Feo's little shudder of distaste when she was kissing him with her prune-lips?
I didn't notice how Sarita's flannel nightie transformed overnight!
Anyway, we'll have to buddy up if anyone else makes fun of Sofia's "Oregon Trail" outfits...although that does have an unfortunate ring of truth to it!
:o}
"Creemelo"
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder