Friday, September 19, 2008

Guapos Thursday, September 18, 2008: You keep her, Damien. Heaven knows you urned her.

And now, gentle readers, we arrive at the penultimate chapter in the story of our plucky orphan, a story where evil is punished and good rewarded.

We open with our no-longer orphan returning to the little orange house after having confronted Connie. Everyone is standing around looking tongue-tied. What’s up? asks Mili, worried. They tell her that Flor is back. Mili is scared – for my baby? They say they don’t know, they’re waiting to hear.

Meantime, Rigoberto is menacing Flor. He says he’s not stupid, he knows she was with Alex. He tells her that he almost scored the baby, and when he does, she and he and the baby can be happy together. He says he can’t trust her and he slugs her a few times.

Alex to the rescue! He comes flying in the open apartment door, shoves Rigo on the couch and gives him a righteous pounding (actually, if you look closely, he’s pounding the couch). He grabs Rigo by the hair and tells him to stay away from Flor. Rigo’s face is bleeding heavily and he pleads Don’t hit me! Don’t yell at me! Coward, says Alex, who tells Flor to get her things and they’ll get out of there. Flor runs off and within seconds is rolling a suitcase out the door. Rigo shouts Flor! Don’t forget what I told you! He laughs maniacally.

Now Alex is at the orange house, telling Mili and her ma what happened. The two ladies heap scorn on wife abusers. Luci comes in and says that she’s given Flor a sedative, but shouldn’t she be taken to a hospital? Nobody thinks of reporting this to the police, apparently. Alex says he’ll call the good doctor to come see her.

Mili is worried about the baby. Alex reassures her that everyone will protect her. Mili says she worried Flor will want to take the baby, she’s her mother and all. Alex says he doesn’t know what’s going to happen, but Mili will always be part of little Rosario’s life. Big Rosario simps.

Alex says so did you go see Connie? Mili says yes, she talked to him plainly and said she knew she was his daughter. Luci says and..??? Mili angrily says I couldn’t wait all my life for him to confess it. I told him I won’t disturb his precious political career, but he has to leave us alone. Whoa, Mili! says Alex admiringly. Mili says I told him not to work against you, or he’d find out who he’s dealing with. You go, girl! says Alex.

Rosario says I dunno. She says when Connie gets sworn in as the new president of his party, she’ll be there. She’s reserved a seat. Mili is impactada. Rosario says you confronted him and now I will too, in order to defend all of you, my new family.

Connie is a rumpled bleary-eyed mess, slouching on the couch of the foyer. Here comes Hugo down the stairs, hauling a big suitcase, probably full of disguises. Connie says You leaving too? Hugo says tomorrow I’m going to rent an apartment, and I’ll just need to take this suitcase. Connie says how about we talk? Hugo says he doesn’t have anything on his mind, except please leave Alex and Mili in peace. Connie says Mili was just here and she asked the same.

Connie says she told me she knew she was my daughter - she didn’t find out from Damien, did she? She found out from you. Yes, says Hugo. Hugo says I’m very glad you told her, you have no idea how much she suffered that you wouldn’t acknowledge her. Connie tries to say something, but Hugo says don’t lie! She was working in your house as a servant and you never did anything for her. She was just an impediment to you. Hugo says I’m sorry… I’ve gotta go.

Connie says you know what? In a couple of days I get nominated as the party president, the greatest day of my life. Hugo politely says congratulations, says goodbye and rolls his suitcase out. Connie talks to himself, saying the greatest day of my life and nobody will be with me. Nobody.

Rigo meets a thug in a dark alley. He gives him a thick wad of bills and the thug hands over a big handgun. Rigo tucks it into his belt and walks off, looking around him.

It’s a few days later. We’re at Connie’s big day and Peralta is saying A big round of applause for Constancio Belmonte! Connie steps up to the stage. The somewhat small crowd applauds. Connie starts up his speech and we see Mili and Rosario coming into the rear of the room, but he doesn’t see them. Connie’s speech is subdued. He thanks everyone for the nomination and then – ta dum! – says he cannot accept it. Everyone is impacto, especially Mili and Rosario. The crowd murmurs.

Connie asks for their understanding and respect, then he launches into his explanation: Many years ago I renounced love. In order to save my business, I left the side of the woman I loved even though she was carrying our baby. She was… my servant.

Peralta wrinkles his nose and looks like Oh, man! Don’t do this! The crowd rumbles a bit.

Connie says you may have heard rumors, which were denied, but they were all true. I fell completely in love with her, Rosario, but I abandoned her and my child out of ambition, for power, and because of a sense of obligation to my mother. I couldn’t sleep and I spent the nights thinking that if I could turn back the clock, might I have made a different choice? Maybe, I don’t know. I was a very different person back then. But now I don’t want to keep being the wretch that I have been since then.

Now I find myself in the same situation, needing to make a decision between my career and my family. I feel that with my experience and capability I would be a great party leader, and bigger and better posts would follow, but I’m not interested. I’ve lost so much to get to where I am now, and I don’t want to lose anything more. This time I’m going to listen to my heart, not my ambition. I’m choosing my daughters, Valeria and Milagros - Mili begins to sob quietly - and my son, Alexandro. And my granddaughter, Rosario, and all the grandchildren to come. I will put all my energy into them.Connie is getting tearful. The crowd seems sympathetic. Connie says I’m sorry I deceived you all, but the person I deceived most was myself.

His speech is over, the crowd applauds politely and photographers get a few shots. The room falls silent and Mili walks through the crowd who part like the Red Sea. Connie is stunned and deeply impactado. Milagros! He tells the reporters and the crowd This is my daughter, Milagros. Mili says Papa! and they embrace. Both are crying and heck, so am I. Flashbulbs pop and the crowd applauds. Forgive me, says Connie, forgive me. Forgive me for being so blind and so stupid. Forgive me, my daughter! He is blubbering.

Rosario walks up but he doesn’t notice her. She says I never thought I’d hear you talk like that, Constancio. He looks up and is stunned. Rosario? he stammers. She says yes, but stands there good and straight so her mighty bosom thrusts out just right. Who needs acting classes when you’ve got those two babies?

Mili says to the crowd This is my father and this is my mother! This is my family. Tearful Connie looks at Rosario and I want him to say bodacious ta-tas, but he says you are as lovely as I remember. It’s late, I know, and I should have made that speech to my father 20 years ago, but I didn’t have the courage.

Rosario says but you did it today. I thank you for my daughter. Our daughter, Connie says. Mili says Mama, Papa, let’s go now. They start to leave, but Peralta says wait! Where are you going? Connie says I’m going home to get my family back. Peralta says but you can’t resign now, didn’t you hear the applause? The people are going nuts! You’re on a roll! Connie says I don’t care. Peralta says you can’t leave the party without a leader! Connie says you’re the idea person - Peralta is very flattered. Connie says I can’t think of a more disreputable person than you – you’re perfect. He and his new family walk out. The crowd applauds and then reporters swarm around Peralta who preens and smiles.

At Bobby and Lina’s apartment, Gloria, Lina and Socorro are anxiously awaiting someone. The door rings and it’s Hugo who greets all with little cheek kisses. Kimberly the super-efficient maid positions herself so she can hear.

Socorro thanks Hugo for coming. He tells her to use “tu” with him. She says she’s not sure she could get used to that. Socorro asks if the two girls can leave her alone with Hugo and they willingly go to another room.

Over at the new construction business, Horacio and Chamuco need job assignments and the guys figure that Horacio can do landscape design and Rocky says Chamuco can be his assistant. He hands him some cash to go run get them lunch and Chamuco looks none too happy. Rocky tells him to call him Licenciado. Chamuco looks even more displeased and says as you wish, using Usted. He leaves and the others glare at Rocky who says what? He gets the hint and runs off to make it up to Chamuco, saying let’s go together!

Back to Hugo and Socorro. She says she has some stuff she wants to tell him, but first she wants to thank him for watching out for her daughter, in spite of everything. She says when she first heard Karla was pregnant she was mad at Hugo, and at Damien who was always ridiculing her. Socorro says I knew she was going to your room, like she had gone to your fathers. Hugo tells her to not be afraid to tell things like they are. He says that he could have turned her away as he should have, but he felt very alone and very lost. Socorro says and Karla took advantage of your painful marriage.

Hugo says Karla was feeling very alone too, we had that in common. Socorro says I know why she got pregnant by you, to entrap you. She never wanted to be a servant, she wanted to get a rich man. She never liked to work.

Hugo says if you could see her now, you’d be so proud. She has learned that money isn’t everything. She’s fallen in love with a poor man who lives in the streets, who sings in the parks. Socorro says she’s fallen for a man who starving? Yes says Hugo, he doesn’t have a cent, all he has to offer is his heart, and she has accepted it. Socorro says and does he really love her? Hugo says like I never would have imagined possible. Socorro is weeping and takes his hand and says thank you so much.

Hugo says this fellow loves her because he found strength, tenderness, nobility in her. Socorro says I’ve never lost faith that she would find the right way. We see Gloria, Lina and Kimberly, arms around one another, listening secretly out of sight.

Hugo says bring Horacio and let’s go see her. Socorro says I’m dying to see her but no, I can’t, she’s angry with me. Hugo says I need you to come tonight when I tell her that that street guy is me! And that I love her with all my heart. Socorro is surprised and happy. Hugo says you have to be there when I ask Karla to marry me. Socorro is pretty much a puddle of tears by now. The watching girls rush in, Gloria and Lina hug Socorro and Kimberly hugs Hugo. We hear happy guitar strumming.

Karla is happily putting her makeup on in front of a light-ringed starlet mirror while Macarena’s assistant ribs her a bit. She says her guy says he has a surprise for her tonight. He says probably he’s going to ask you to be his novia. You think so? says Karla. Sure as I’m called Sylvester, he says (oh, so that’s his name!). They imagine some great kisses. Syl says your eyes are so happy, but when you first came here those eyes were full of sorrow and pain. Karla says I’ve never felt anything this wonderful, but I’m scared too. I’m afraid it’ll all end, that I don’t have the right to be happy.

Syl is a bar-guy philosopher. He says everybody has the right to be happy. (He’s never met Andrea.) We get second and third chances so we can right those wrongs we’ve committed. You don’t know what a long list of wrongs I have, says Karla. I’ve hurt so many people, worst of all my mama. Do you think she’ll forgive me one day. Syl says I’m sure of it.

Alex and Nestor are having lunch at a café. Nestor is reproaching him that he didn’t call him to help out, since Rigo is a dangerous guy. Alex figures Rigo won’t try anything now, but Nestor says the main thing they have to do is to get Flor to break off from him. Nestor says he’s proud of Alex, he helped out the mother of his daughter. Let’s go talk to her, he says. Like a good daddy, he signals for the bill. The waiter walks by some other customer, and guess what it’s Rigo with his back turned. He’s in a suit, but he stands and opens his jacket so we (and all the patrons in the café?) can see the gun tucked into his waistband.

With Connie and Rosario standing by, Mili and Vale call each other sister and say they love each other and embrace. Luci comes in and says thank you Connie, and thank you Rosario for coming into all our lives and putting a stop to all the secrets. Rosario looks sainted.

Connie says to Rosario We have to talk. Rosario looks sainted some more. The others clear out politely. Mili goes to her room and guess what there’s Flor sitting on the bed holding little Rosario.

Mili says she’s your daughter. Flor says you and Alex picked a good name for her. Mili says actually it was Luci. Flor says she’s met Rosario and she’s a beautiful woman, like Mili. Mili says she came to her room because Connie and Rosario are having a private talk. Flor says did he finally acknowledge you as his daughter? Mili says yes. Flor says you grew up an orphan and now you have two parents. I lost both mine - my father was murdered. And you find out that your mother is alive. What irony life hands us! And you have a man who loves and respects you, and I have nobody.

When Rigo came back, I thought he was rescuing me, but he ended up hurting me even more. When I first met you, and found out you were a servant, I thought I was superior to you in every way. And now, I’d give anything to be in your shoes, to be surrounded by love like you. She gets up and holds the baby out to Mili. Take her into your arms, she’s your daughter. Mili takes her.

Rosario is taking a hard line. She says that speech you just made doesn’t change things, it doesn’t change the past. Connie says I understand, I deserve your anger. I know I hurt you terribly. Rosario says you separated me from my child.

Connie says I kicked you to the curb, yes, I knew you were pregnant, I was a coward, a wretch, but I wasn’t the one who separated you from Mili. Rosario is starting to get mad. She tells the story about the final words of the Mother Superior, and says that the MS said he was the one who made her say the baby had died. Connie said what did she say exactly? Rosario says it’s burned into my brain, she said Senor Belmonte made her do it.

Connie says my papa. That Senor Belmonte. It’s Rosario’s turn to look impactada and bewildered. Connie says after you left, I had no idea where you were or what had happened, until Padre M told me one of my servants was your child. He told me you had died in childbirth and that you had been buried in an unmarked grave at the convent. I’ve never had reason to doubt his word. I went to your grave to cry over you and to beg forgiveness.

Mili is holding the baby and Flor is standing by the door telling her that the baby is better off with her, she hadn’t changed her mind about child rearing. She says I’m not here to cause trouble for you and Alex. Mili gets weepy with relief. Flor says can I see Rosario time to time? I don’t want to be a stranger to her. Mili says of course. Help me change her diaper!

Connie is saying to Rosario that that’s what the MS told him, and that’s the actual truth. His father said she and the child had disappeared forever from his life. He says he’s not trying to justify himself because he never stood up to his father, or confronted him with the love the two of them had.

I loved you says Connie. Rosario finally has a reaction and stops him to hold a manicured hand to her face. He says let me finish. My father set a price on my soul, and I sold it. I wish I could have torn out my heart to get rid of the pain, every beat shook my very bones. Over the years, I got used to the pain, and I forgot I had a heart. And that’s the miserable fellow you see before you now.

He holds her hand to his chest and says tell me what you feel. Tell me you can feel my heartbeats, tell me that I have a heart in there, because I can’t feel it. Rosario puts his hand on his chest and says today you can feel it, today after what you did. Feel it? she says. It’s beating strongly. Connie says And yours? He falls to his knees. Forgive me Rosario, please forgive me. She weeps and her lip gloss glistens.

A car pulls up to the orange house, Alex and Nestor get out. Another car pulls up behind them and we see Rigo’s face in the rear view mirror. Alex and Nestor walk in on Connie down on his knees. Oops they say. Connie gets up and he and Rosario step back and wipe tears away. Rosario says it’s okay, we don’t have anything further to say to one another. Connie looks surprised.

Alex indicates Rosario and says what do you think of my lover? Connie says I was stupid. Connie says can we talk? Alex says no. Rosario says talk to your father. Alex says Nestor Miranda is my father, this man is nothing to me. Harsh, Alex.

Mili and Flor walk into the room. Flor is pulling her suitcase behind her. She says to Alex that it’s better that she leave, there’s no room in the house and she doesn’t want to be a bother. Alex says he and Nestor want to take her to the police. Flor says tomorrow, and Alex and Nestor try to get her to go now. She says tomorrow, she promises, and she wants to go to a hotel. They try to get her to stay, but she says no. Connie says you can stay at my house. Flor says okay, let’s go and she heads for the door.

Connie says to Rosario I hope I see you tomorrow. Rosario shrugs and says maybe.

Connie goes to Milagros and says thank you and kisses her hair. She says bye, Papa, and he says I really like it when you call me that. Connie tells Alex when he comes for Flor tomorrow to please bring Vale along, he needs to talk to both of them. He heads for the door and for what fate?

Rosario presses a hand to her bosom and breathes deeply. Alex and Mili lean against one another. Nestor knits his brow.

Karla is working the pole and a drunk patron waves some money around and talks a bit lewd to her and approaches the stage. She makes frantic eyes at Macarena who signals Syl to go take care of the guy. Syl tells the guy if he wants that kind of entertainment, he’s in the wrong place, this is a decent bar. The guy subsides, but murmurs some remarks and Karla looks a bit disturbed.

Well, looks like Rigo didn’t shoot anybody yet. Connie and Flor pull up in the dark to the deserted house. Connie gets Flor’s luggage out of the trunk while she waits in the car. They go in. Somehow Rigo has read their minds and has arrived there before them, because he’s lurking in the bushes.

They are in the foyer when somebody rolls Damien in in a wheelchair. He’s dressed and doesn’t look bruised. In his lap, he’s holding a gold-colored urn. Hello, Cunado, he says apologetically and holds up the urn a little.

In the dressing room, Karla is telling Macarena, who is draped on the couch in an impressive blue number, that that man scared her the way he looked at her. Macarena says she knows what it’s like to have a man gobble you up with his eyes. Syl comes in and says it’s time for Macarena’s number. She and Karla tease a little and she takes off. Karla starts removing her makeup when the door opens and the drunk patron runs in and grabs her from behind. She manages to shove him off, and yells at him to leave. He throws some money at her and grabs her again. They struggle.

Connie and Damien, in his wheelchair, are in the study. Connie is smiling wryly and says so you were in an accident, huh? Damien says attention! A terrible accident. Connie smiles some more. Then he lunges at Damien, grabs him by the lapels and shakes him, saying how dare you come around after everything you’ve done to me? Cut! Cut! says Damien. I’m an invalid!

Connie backs off and says you ridiculed me, you sold 60% of my company, you were lovers with Andrea, and then you ran off with her. Damien says yes, but I’m returning her, and he holds up the urn. Connie looks like eeeeww.

Karla is still struggling with the would-be rapist. Slo-mo he hauls off and slugs her big in the side. The two bouncers burst in and subdue the guy, but she is in terrible pain. Are you okay? Sly asks. Apparently not.

In the foyer, Flor decides to dial Rigo. She hears a cell ring and looks up. Rigo walks into the foyer, gun in hand. She is terrified and freeze frame.

Labels:


Comments:
Good morning Maggie. We've been so busy cleaning up storm debris and dealing with power outages that I haven't seen a lot or commented this week.

Your title, as usual, was pure genius. I was uncomfortable with the writers making a comedy scene out of Andrea's death but I guess humor is individual...and also cultural...and I just don't fit with this one.

Cesar Evora's acting has been superb all throughout this dramatic wrapup...I just wish the actress playing Rosario was up to the challenge. I too was distracted by her lip gloss, scary fingernails and surgically enhanced bosom. One can't be distracted by the acting because hers is so wooden. Oh well.

Great job as usual, Maggie. I worry about your sleepless nights on Thursdays though.
 

Maggie: Thank you very much for your wonderful recaps - and especially this one.

Did I hear Rigoberto make a reference - if not last night - then the night before - to the death of Flor's father. Anybody else hear that - like he had something to do with it?

Also, I couldn't believe it when Damian rolled in on his wheelchair. He has been a sociopathic cad throughout this novela. Surely bringing home Andrea's ashes can't be his redemption. What else would he have to hold over Constancio's head now? Consti ought to wheel him right out the front door. And slam it behind him.

Judy: Sorry to hear that you have storm debris to clean up and power outages. Are you in Texas?

From lower Ala
 

Excellent title, Maggie!

Peralta's nose wrinkles have always made me laugh, the actor is good with facial movement, like the actor playing Damian.

I wonder if Florencia is going to be killed by Rigoberto. Her last scene with Mili and the baby left me with the same feeling I got when Flor's father said goodbye to Flor & her sister the last time. It's so sad that after all the beatings and threats she still felt the need to call him.

I can see Constancio maybe getting wounded in order to bring Rosario/Rosela around to forgiving him. I still don't like her and I agree, the actress is distracting from the character - I'm constantly trying to figure out what's wrong with the way she looks instead of paying attention to the dialog.
 

Maggie, hands down the best title ever. You captured every scene perfectly. judyb, I completely agree with you about Cesar Evora. This is the first thing I have seen him in and his acting is first rate. I was really disturbed by the scenes with Carla and her potential rapist and Florencia's beatings and stalking at Rigoberto's hands. I thought these scenes were harrowing. I think it's a credit to all of the actors that these storylines appeared all too real. I don't understand why Connie and Hugo get redemption but Andrea, Florencia and Carla have or will pay either the ultimate price or close to it. I thought the next to last eopisode would have had a lighter, happier tone, but I'm new to telenovas and obviously have a lot to learn. Diana in MA
 

No, Pasofino...believe it or not I'm in Columbus Ohio. Schools have been out for 4 days, lack of power, the place where I work was without power for three days. We had 70 to 89 miles per hour winds on Sunday....blew down a huge fir tree which fortunately missed our house and another in the back. Plus it shook out about 600 apples from our overladen tree in the yard which I had to pick up one by one.

Compared to Texas that was nothing. But for us it was something and many in the city are still without power.

Our house got power back in time for me to do my usual Tuesday night recap of Querida so I was happy not to have to overload my teammates. And have watched a little bit of Guapos but haven't commented until last night after I heard from Nina. Other priorities this week!

Here's one problem that I want to warn you about. Our phone service was out along with our electricity. My cell phone was low, and of course I couldn't recharge it...no power! If you're in a storm area, good idea to buy one of those hand-crank rechargers for your phone. If there's an emergency and you can't call 911....what are you going to do?
 

Judy: Glad to hear you're up and running. I've never heard of a hand-cranked charger, but I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the advice.
 

Me either...before this...but we all learn things the hard way, don't we?
 

Great title, Maggie, as everyone has said. Thanks for that very detailed recap. There were a couple of points I missed, so that was really helpful.

I also thought Rigoberto said something in the previous episode about an involvement with the father's death, but I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

I can see why Connie gets redemption--he is a main character. He also never killed or kidnapped anyone, and we can see the genesis of his hard-hearted ways from the harm done to him. I'm on the fence about Hugo and Karla, but I think they deserve redemption. They have been middling evil, and Hugo has been more nutty than evil.

I think Florencia should receive equal treatment to Luciana. Luciana did the same bad things (ruin Al's and Mili's happiness for three years), and she has been redeemed. Luciana even did more, since she had a hand in keeping Rocky and Valeria apart.
 

ninak: I completely agree with you that Florencia deserves redemption. I think Florencia's actions paled in comparision to the lies and deceit that Luci carried on for years. Luci's actions were far more despicable as her own son suffered for them as well as Mili. Now, even in her darkest hour, Florencia is thinking only of her daughter's welfare by leaving her with Mili. I think the stage is set for a bad ending for Florencia - I really hope I'm wrong. Diana in MA
 

Still snorting over the perfect title. One thing you have to say about Damian. He has a set of brass cojones. He steals Mili's shares, sells the company out from under Connie, runs off with Connie's skank (no big loss there)makes a snarky in your face tape and then comes back to the house when he apparently has no other place to go. I can't help thinking it would be very appropriate if he ended up in the wheelchair for life but suspect he might be pulling a Hugo. Since Thug Boy arrived at the house with a gun perhaps the eventual shot will hit Damian and not Flo and she will have a chance for some kind of redemption.

The last episode did have a shocking level of violence, especially for this show. That kind of thing is a staple in a lot of novelas but this one had pretty much avoided it so the shock value was really incresed.

God those scenes with Cesar and Allysson were magnificent. I sobbed off most of my make up watching the episode. Poor Maribel is so outclassed. We've joked about other Botox queens but when you consider she is 48 you know a lot of her just has to be silcon and injections.

Lots of questions remaining for tonight - will Rigo kill Flor or someone else, will he die (fingers crossed hoping so here), will Karla lose her baby? Is it Hugo's? Will Socorro tell her the story of her birth? Will Chamuco and Gloria find a place to live? Will Lena have her baby? Will Al relax and talk to Connie? Will he forgive him? Will there be weddings all around? Will everyone end up living back at Casa Soledad and will it get a better happier name? I can't wait to see.
 

Brilliant title! Great recap, too.

This situation with Flor is really sad. Like I said yesterday, I thought she was more bratty and selfish than downright evil. Andrea deserved this treatment (not that anyone really deserves it, but...more so) more than Flor. I hope Connie gets out his long gun again and uses it on Rigoberto. That might help to redeem him.

I can't believe Damian had the nerve to show up back at the house. And with the urn! That completely took me by surprise. That house needs a complete security overhaul.

I hope tonight is full of weddings and cute babies.
 

I loved the writing in this episode, particularly Connie’s dialog. I am so much going to miss these wonderful actors. I love Karla’s acting so much, I was shocked when she got slugged that hard. I was afraid they were going to have her die, but you’ve cheered me up a tad, DecieGirl – maybe she’s just going to lose the baby. In fact, that would make a great plot device, because then Hugo could marry her for love, not just paternity.

I wonder what a true orphan would think watching this show. I’m sure every orphan dreams of this – the parents having been deeply in love, finding the parents alive, the parents heaping love on him or her. I’m sure there are some orphans in the audience and it must be a very emotional experience to watch these episodes.

JudyB, thank you for worrying about my late nights! But actually they’re not as late as the time stamp seems to indicate. I think the posting times must be Eastern time, because I’m in California and it’s not that late. For instance, I posted a little after 2 a.m. and the time stamp shows a little after 5 a.m. And thanks for the tip about the battery charger – that could be a real life-saver.
 

Hey Maggie...for me 2 am IS a late night! Glad you don't think so, you wild woman you!
 

JudyB - Do I take longer than most? How long does it take you to write up a recap? I tape the show and then sit down at 9:15 and watch it and recap as I go. Usually I post about 1 or 2 a.m. I know Melinama says she can whip one out in an hour. Of course, my Spanish is not at the level of the rest of the recappers, but I don’t generally have to hit the dictionary, and I don’t look up lyrics and references like other amazing recappers do.

p.s. Very sorry to hear about your wind damage! It's amazing how far north that storm went.
 

Great recap! I too find myself distracted by the actress playing Rosella and all her surgical enhancements. Her face especially shows many signs of nipping and tucking.

The Flor/Rigoberto storyline threw me for a loop and I hope we are not going to witness the end of Florencia.

I too was also taken back at how Andrea's death was turned into a comedy bit. I wonder what will happen to those ashes, maybe scatter them in her favorite shoe store.

Looking forward to how everyone and everything turns out tonight.
 

I think it's different for everybody. Schoolmarm does a very long, detailed recap so I know she watches the show at least twice and it takes her a long time to write it up. But she gets it the way she wants it.

But others prefer not to be as detailed and not all readers want detail.

I used to watch the shows twice before I wrote, but with Querida, sometimes I can't bear to watch it twice...too much bad stuff happening. So now I'm completely out of that habit.

You write a very clever, very funny recap and I wouldn't advise you to change a thing, as long as you don't mind staying up until 2 am (and can you get right to sleep after that?...I can't...my mind just keeps rewriting for another hour as I toss and turn).

I've gotten in the habit lately of starting to write the recap immediately after the show ends (8 pm) and finish somewhere between 10 and ll. When I'm putting in special vocabulary or googling proper names (when they mention a famous actress or soccer player) it runs on more toward 11. So, yes, two to three hours for me. I can't manage a 1 hour recap like Melinama does...but I like her style. People with laptops write as they watch the show so some of them are done super-fast. I think Nicolás, on the Fuego team, is done practically as the end credits roll!

However, if you wanted to cut down on time, I'll pass along a suggestion from Schoolmarm that she used when she knew she'd be trying to write a recap while out of town and tending to serious problems. She "pre-watched" on youtube so she could outline the recap ahead of time. Then watched it in real time, with closed captions, and wrote it up.

My take on it is this....It's volunteer work. The only person you are answering to is yourself...take as long or as short a time as you want to...'cause you're the one in charge.

Of course we want to please...and entertain our readers...but ultimately we decide what goes in, what gets left out and what is "enough".

And if we forget something crucial (I can't always read my scribbles and I'm a bit flakey to boot) well Margarita or somebody with a great memory will fill in the gaps.
 

judyb and Maggie, I love reading detailed recaps as they really help me and others like me (lacking spanish speaking skills)to fill in the blanks. That said, some of the briefest recaps manage to tell the complete story, just in a different way. I like the different perspectives and styles of the various recappers. I think all of the recappers here are a remarkable group and your efforts are recognized and greatly appreciatred.

judyb, forgive me for not saying sooner that I'm sorry for all of the storm damage you sustained.
Diana in MA
 

The one time I recapped (so far! I'll be taking the Tuesday night slot on Cuidado; hope it's a good show) I wrote sort of a first draft recap as I watched the show, then went back and rewatched scenes where I couldn't get the dialogue on the first go-round and looked up some words I didn't know, and added those details. Then I went back through and added some more commentary and edited for typos and awkward phrasing and whatnot. It took about 2 1/2 hours altogether. I'm hoping to eventually develop Nicolas's superspeedy abilities as my comprehension improves. It's fun, though, and I'm hoping I'll also get back some of the writing skills I've lost after a decade of working in engineering. I can't spell anymore.

The ladies need to get that spa therapy business up and running ASAP so that Ros can be their first customer. Everyone on the show keeps saying how beautiful she is, but I think she'd look a lot better if her hair and makeup and fingernails and clothes were not so severe. Karla could go for some therapy, too, maybe. Braulio could be in charge of facials, if there are enough avocados in Mexico.
 

Julia...do you have a laptop?..and type as you watch? That would help me a lot since my handwriting is nowhere near as fast. However when I ran that idea by Melinama, she said it wasn't a good idea...the end result would be too detailed. Since I don't have a working laptop, the question is moot. And I don't think our laptop recappers overdetail...they just seem to have a lot of fun taking potshots at the weak scripts. Furthermore, as Diana in MA said, many readers really do appreciate the detail.

I always loved Sylvia's recaps of Duelo when I first found Caray Caray because she would put in a little vocabulary list at the end. And we often did that for Juan since there was so much slang. Not so much in Querida.

And thanks for the storm sympathy, Diana....the real damage is going to be to my checkbook. Got the estimate today and don't know when they'll be back to actually do the work! Oh well....could be worse and it is...for many. So still counting my blessings.
 

Judy B – thank you for your input! This is really interesting. My handwriting is so terrible, I found I can’t read it if I take notes. I have a laptop, and I watch a scene, stop the tape and write it up. I proof that paragraph, then go on to the next scene. I found that if I left the proofing for last, I ended up with typos galore. I think if I watched the whole show more than once, my mind might wander. Because of my primitive Spanish I have to rewind a lot when the dialog gets fast or tricky. When I stop the tape, whichever show is running appears (Vale mas…! un buen amor…) and sometimes I get distracted by that. Last night it was a tribute to Jose Jose and I just had to listen to some of that.

I decided that my imagined reader was someone who had missed the show that night. I love detail when I’ve missed a show. But I always read the recaps – I love the humor, and other people’s take on things, plus I always miss some dialog details. We have amazing writers doing these recaps – lucky us! I like all the different forms of reporting the shows. This recapping is a genre unto itself and it’s fascinating to see how each recapper works within it.

I have to post at night since I’m on the west coast – otherwise it wouldn’t be up until afternoon for the east coast people. Besides, I’m a night person.
 

Judy, sorry about the damage, and I'm glad you're okay.

I do use a laptop. I LOVE detail, so I don't see how one could possibly have too much. There is a limit to how fast I can type while still focusing on what's going on, so I don't think that will be a problem for me. Although, I did end up editing out some extraneous commentary I had written about how all the ladies always have their bra straps showing (including those clear straps, which are in no way invisible).

I love reading all the comments and other people's recaps. People really notice different things and see situations differently; it's really interesting.
 

I always think I'm going to get faster at recapping, but I fail utterly. I can watch the show in 45 mintues (fast fowarding through commercials), but I can't take notes in that time, so I have to keep pausing. Then I go to the computer and write.

Most times I have made it more detailed, which I think helps the Spanish learners. Other times I just try to summarize.

Recently, I have tried using the "prewatching" on YouTube trick, and that has helped me a bit.
 

Well, I'm having just as much fun finding out how you all do it.

Years ago, when I worked for a crusty old editor known as "Uncle Ben" and I tried to write an erudite, college paper type article, he took me aside and said, "Judy, you're writing for Mrs. Malloy, and she's been cleaning houses all day and she's tired. So keep it simple and give me a great first paragraph so I can give it a zingy headline."

I think "the rules" are somewhat different here...and as several of you have pointed out...there are great differences in style, amount of detail and emphasis on vocabulary. But something clicks...for those of us who have decided to challenge ourselves by recapping and those who are challenging themselves, (right along with us) learning another language and culture.

I mentioned this once before I think but it's worth repeating. Most of us spend the first part of our lives learning a multitude of skills and spend the rest of our life pissing it all away.

So three cheers for all of us still trying to learn and grow (in the right directions).

And Maggie, I won't worry about you anymore, now that I know you're a night person. Clearly I am NOT!
 

I also enjoy reading everyone's different styles.

I used to be a magazine editor/writer, and that's where I learned to put together a story. But you can always eliminate something. Production would always tell us: Cut 50 lines! Believe me, you can always do it--the reader would never know the difference.

Maggie, you would have a great time in magazines. We always had to write titles and blurbs, the punnier the better.
 

Interesting the different approaches the recappers use. When i got hooked on novelas there was one i loved so much I recapped the entire 11 month run. I would tape it, scribble fast notes as I watched, then go back and recap every scene. I still have it and it takes up over 1100 single spaced pages. Since i was really new I had to hit the dictionaries and a program I had. I've since seen the novela again and check on my translations and was pleasantly surprised.

I have great admiration for recppers who can suffer through a terrible show or one that they hate just to recap for the rest of us. i know at least one of the Enemiga recappers is or was having a horrible time doing it. I hope there will be enough for the one following Guapos which I'm going to pass on for about a half dozen reasons. I'll be checking to see when Tontos shows and imagine we won't have any problem getting recappers or comments for that one. LOL.
 

These are such interesting insights – thank you JudyB, NinaK DecieGirl and Julia!

Believe it or not, NinaK, my report writing and such is extremely lean and concise. Surprise! I tried my hand at fiction a few times and had to come to the sad conclusion that I pretty much sucked at it.

DecieGirl – I have trouble watching these shows when I don’t like the acting. Just about any plot is okay with me – they’re all so similar. I’ve had to bail on a few, but I wasn’t recapping. I have my fingers crossed that Cuidado has some good performances…
 

Hmmm...Decie Girl...I think that "one recapper" you mentionned on Querida was me. I did a LOT of whining the first couple of weeks...the episodes were full of so much evil...quite a contrast to happy-go-lucky Juan. I WAS miserable, but would never have bailed because I love my recapping team.

Then things got better, some of our innoncents wised up and occasionally thwarted the demon spawn. Now things are turning downward again. But...we'll just have to ride the waves until the happy ending in 5 or 6 months.

Interestingly, now that things have lightened up a bit, the show has gone from 7th or 8th in the ratings to 4th. Hope the writers get the hint!
 

One final note on recapping, Maggie. Maricruz fills in when someone on our team is sick and she is great...a native speaker with lots of info on expressions and "dichos". But she said the first time she had to write a recap, it took her 8 hours.
Now that's a sacrifice.
 

Ok, they totally screwed up the ending. You know, I actually liked this telenovela until they did the whole Luciana-recovery thing. Call me a romantic, but they should not have done that flashforward to death ending. The makeup was horrible and there is no way any of the original adults would age/die so quickly.
 

Nicolás....not only was the ending a horrible downer, for me it brought back all the memories of seeing my parents age, weaken and die, plus many friends (I'm 68)...I watch these telenovelas as a respite from some of the cruel truths of existence so ye gods!!...I needed a transfusion of Zoloft after that one.

I thought about venting here, but instead wrote to my teammate Schoolmarm, since I knew she probably watched the ending. We both hated it.

The whole thing was just cruel. I also didn't find flushing Andrea's ashes to be high comedy.
 

I will be posting the recap momentarily. I disagree completely. I thought the ending was brilliant, one of the best ever. They so accurately predicted how each of these characters would turn out. It was uplifting and happy, then bittersweet, like life.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder