Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Cuidado Con El Ángel #7, Tuesday 9.30. She who lives in the poorhouse shouldn´t throw stones.

In tonight's exciting installment, we finally reach the pivotal moment we’ve been seeing for days in the bumpers, in which our intrepid (and foolish) heroine throws rocks through windows.

Ín öther ¿excíting? ñews, I've fínally ¡learned to type próperly!, thanks tó Doris´s instruction lást week.

So, we pick up with Cecilia telling Patricio that she had a daughter, his, after his family split them up so many years ago, and she gave the baby to the orphanage.

Meanwhile, back at the house of unscrupulous parasites, Ísabel is totally excited about living the high life instead of never having money and only having milk for breakfast. Estefanía is worried about what will happen if the real kid shows up, but Isabel says they'll just get rid of her. Stef looks a little concerned about this plan, but doesn't say anything.

Marichuy brings more flowers to the church and tells the Virgencita that they aren't as nice as Casilda's, but they aren't stolen this time. I think this counts as character development! After she nearly gives Padre Anselmo a heart attack, he tells her he's worried because the orphans need clothes, shoes, food, and milk, and there's no money. Didn't Ceci just give them a big check last week? Is one of the nuns embezzling? Mari says she can help; he says it's not so easy. She says she can at least get milk and when he wonders how, she just says miracles can happen.

Patricio is mean to Ceci after her difficult confession and says God will never forgive her and wonders how she could hide it from him so long. She says she thought she was dying, and begs for his forgiveness.

Mari poses again while Vicente works on what looks like the same angel wing drawing. I don't think he's even started drawing her in. Israel and Beatriz come in, and Israel asks if Vicente has any money, because he needs to pay the fine from the club fight and he can barely live on what he earns. Beatriz says she already paid hers; it's 2000 pesos. Mari says, tell me where the judge lives and I'll go throw rocks through his windows (I really don't see how she thinks that will help). Beatriz doesn't think she'll really do it, but we know she will because we've already seen that scene many times.

Viviana, lounging on the beach in a bikini with a froufrou drink, phones the castle and Rocío answers. She recognizes Viv's voice and is shocked. Juan Miguel takes the phone and she hangs up. Onelia asks who it was, but thinks Rocío is crazy when she tells her. Viv, meanwhile, thinks to herself that one of these times Mom will pick up, and imagines the look on Rocío's face. Mean. What did Rocío ever do to her?

Mari goes around stealing people's milk deliveries. María de Jesús! I do not think the Vatican would consider that a miracle!

Over breakfast in the national-park-size garden, Patricio says he wants to meet their daughter right away. Ceci is thrilled. There is a massive basket of fruit on the table. SOME people aren´t just hoping for a glass of milk for breakfast. Their pet deer (I assume; it's always there) munches its tasty grass.

Casilda rails about the missing milk. She is tired of that “Angel”. I don't think we've ever established why Padre Anselmo thinks she's such an angel in the first place.

Mari delivers the milk to the nuns. When they ask where she got it, she says she bought it at the dairy with money she earned. Then, eager to end the questioning, she hurries them to deliver it to the kids.

Casilda yells at Candelaria about Mari's many sins and character flaws, and accuses Cande of enabling her. Cande tells her to get out or she'll call the police, and Casilda says SHE will go to the police.

The orphans messily slurp milk, and that indeed is all they are having, while Mari snuggles a baby.

Casilda (in curlers, looking like a nutcase) whips the neighbors into a frenzy over getting Mari arrested.

Isabel and Estefanía are excitedly panicked when Ceci calls and wants them to come over. The apartment's décor consists of long shelves lined with wine and booze bottles. Classy.

Is and Stef meet Ceci and Pat; Pat looks underwhelmed by his “daughter” but is polite. Ceci tries to make Stef feel at home, and Stef says the place is very nice and like a palace. I disagree. It's really huge, but totally bland and sort of cheap-looking. I think the vast majority of the set budget went into Juan Miguel's castle, and well done, there. I love that place.

Mari fills a tote bag with rocks, then takes an arduous bike trip out to the hills to Pat and Ceci's estate. Note to self: when planning to vandalize, gather big rocks closer to target. She climbs over the gate.

Ceci is gushing over the shopping they'll do, and Stef is trying to pretend they don't need to buy her stuff while still encouraging it, when there is a crash of glass. Patricio goes to investigate. Mari breaks lots of windows and he chases her. She pauses to yell at him about fining poor people, he yells about the vandalism, and she escapes.

Elsa visits Juan Miguel in his work office (not his home office), where he is wearing a white coat so we know he is a real professional. Apparently he works for the government; justice or police or whatever, I would guess. She wants to give him her fine money, but he says that's not his job and he won't take it for her; she'll have to pay it at the right office in person. He's still mad at her for two-timing Eduardo, who tragically (for me, because I heart him) does not appear in this episode. He asks why she's leading a double life. She's tired of her boring, cushy life, and wants some excitement. Which is understandable, but why not break up with Eduardo if he's boring and you just want to hang with the artist crowd? Or is it the cheating itself which is exciting?

Mari runs into Adrian, who tells her he's in love with her. She is not hearing that.

Casilda and her posse go to the police station to denounce Marichuy.

Patricio wants to report Mari, but Ceci convinces him not to because she pities that poor vandalizing orphan child. Their daughter could have turned out like that, if not for Isabela!

Mari confesses both the milk theft and the window breaking to Candelaria, who basically tells her she's screwed. And indeed she is, as the police arrive to arrest her. She resists arrest, and a large crowd gathers in the street to gawk at the scene as she is shoved into the paddy wagon, and once again I am amazed at the production budget for this show. There are a LOT of people in this episode.

At dinner at the big house, Stef says her life is like a fairy tale. I'm trying to figure out which fairy tale that is. Ceci gives her a valuable heirloom necklace, and Isabela is rather gauchely excited about that. Stef doesn't say much. She looks like she's wondering just how far they're going to take this.

At the station, Mari explains her situation to the booking officer, then goes on about the windows, which the police hadn't known about. She begs for mercy and asks if she can leave, but he says she has to stay until Judge Velarde (Patricio) decides what to do with her. OOPS. He tells her she needs a lawyer, and she wonders how she'll pay for one, then remembers Juan Miguel's card.

Patricio comes to the station, where Mari is in a cell, and tells her he didn't report her. She doesn't think she's done anything wrong. Maybe Padre Anselmo needs to have a long talk with her detailing exactly everything that she should not do. One step forward, three steps back with her.

Labels:


Comments:
Outstanding recap, Julia! I love your style, your observations and your humor. Love the title too!

It’s amazing that they call the judge down to the police station when some juvenile delinquent has been picked up.

I read in TV and Novelas (which I foolishly subscribed to) that the arrest scene took a couple of hours to shoot and that they used the neighborhood people as extras. There sure were a ton of them!
 

Thanks for the recap. I haven't been following this show everyday, but your recap fills in the gaps.

I really like Mari, despite the fact that she stole the milk and threw the rocks. She's a one-woman revolutionary! The question is, who will change more - will she convert those stuck up rich people to her philosphy, or will they teach her how to be "proper"?

Also, I thought Viviana looked great in that bikini (sorry, just a man's perspective)! :)
 

Hombre - I was admiring Viv's figure too!
 

Hey, Maggie, I subscribe to Tv and Novelas too! And TVNotas. Just be careful, 'cause you can get spoilers in those magazines.

Great recap, Julia--this is definitely two steps forward and one step back.

I just don't get the relationship between Patricio, Ceci, and new fake daughter. She shows up and she's already calling them mom and pop. They give her that expensive necklace, and no DNA test? This strains all credulity.

As for Marichuy, I like her too, and I look forward to figuring out what her nightmare is.
 

I like Marichuy, too, even if her Robin Hood crusade is a little misguided in its execution. I wouldn't want to see those orphans starve, either, and as far as the vandalism goes...well, I guess she figures she has nothing to lose.

I wonder if Patricio will try to verify the relationship of this supposed daughter. I'm guessing yes, eventually, but not before she causes some problems. Ceci trusts her old friend and wants so much to believe that she's found her kid that she isn't going to examine the situation too closely.

I agree, Viv looked good. Surely she could have taken beach vacations without abandoning her family, though. And I'm baffled as to how she managed to drift ashore on an airplane wing anywhere near Miami unnoticed.
 

I usually just read the posts, but feel the need to vent a little.

Another mixed up non-orphan abandoned at a convent with a heart of gold. Actually, Mari is acting more like a spoiled rich kid, than an down and outer, street urchin. She throws around a lot of attitude and has a unwarranted sense of entitlement (to screw with other people), but then, I may just be channeling old tapes of trying to survive my own daughter's teens!

Those clothes she wears are a few sizes too small. I keep expecting her to have an equipment failure! Dressing like that,then she gets upset because the guys notice? but at least the actress is older than 15 (Mili).

I know this is telenovela land where all sense of reality is left at the threshold, but really, who in their right mind is going to turn over the family jewels to some kid who just walked in off the street accompanied by a long lost friend without some kind, any kind, of proof? Didn't anyone notice that our little Estef is about a head taller than both Mom and Pop?

One other thing, when the rich people talk, I understand almost everything, but Mari either talks too fast or uses too much street slang, because I have a hard time understanding her. But then I had an equally hard time understanding Ceci when she was blubbering (which she did through most of this episode).

As a male, I too will weigh in with a Viva, Viviana!

Oh well, I am still enjoying this more than Guapos, but not as much yet as QE.
 

Thanks for the recap Julia. I'm glad others are baffled by Vivian's behavior. Is she cashing in her jewelry or using credit cards? Won't this be a give away you are NOT dead? Yes its a novela but isn't that odd.

I can't watch regularly (but did see most of last night's episode) though I like the cast and plot thus far.
 

It seems to me in the telenovelas that the older actors speak more clearly and it makes me wonder if they have had stage experience.

What amazes me more than the jewelry gift is that Cecilia isn’t furious with her supposed old friend for having taken in her daughter and never told her.

I’m thinking Viv cashed in her jewels, since they made such a point of her giant bracelet and jewelry box and there she was, washed up on the beach with the box. Can you imagine some jeweler buying the stuff off some bruised, sand-covered, uncombed woman and not calling the police?
 

Not to mention that her dress was all torn up. And how did she check into a hotel without using a credit card? **Suspending disbelief**

I'm hoping Mari's urchin clothes will be one of the first things to change. Why are all the shirts cut off? Surely the donation box at the church has some whole shirts, or she could pick up a couple of basic t-shirts for 10 pesos each. I did think it was funny that when she was posing for Vicente with her shirt pulled off her shoulders, she adjusted it back when the friends came in. Because she's so modest.
 

Julíä I'm sö glåd you got the keyboard thing worked oüt.

doris
 

Ha ha, yes, thank you so much for the instructions. It was really pretty easy, as it turned out, and I should have done it a long time ago, but I am not very technologically advanced.
 

Great title, Julia! Superb job on the recap.

I still don't know what to think about Marichuy. She steals roses and milks along with breaking windows. I thought why is she stealing roses when she can purchase them they don't cost all that much. The vendors in the streets probably know her, so they could give her a deal.

I understand she stole the milk for the orphans. Mari should know that Casilda is out to get her in trouble. As to breaking windows, her reasoning is not good to me. Just because some of young people she knows from Art group don't have a way to pay for their fines doesn't justify her breaking windows. Mari didn't think she would get in trouble.

I am beginning to think Marichuy doesn't think before reacting to situations.

I agree with you, NinaK and Riberajoe. I lost respect for the judge Patricio. As a judge, he would want to check out this supposed lost daughter. I understand that his wife Cecilia is emotional all over the situation of the lost daughter. Also why give the expensive necklace just like that. All I can say is that when the judge and his wife find out that they have been used it is their fault. They didn't check and do any DNA test. You are right, NinaK, this strains all credulity.

Besides all this the fake daughter is already calling them mom and pop.

An abandoned daughter wouldn't forgive so easily like this fake daughter did. There would be questions like why did you give me up? Also talking over hurt feelings that even someone that has forgive would share with her mother. Patricio and Cecilia just cave in and this lost my respect for them.

The other situation that I didn't understand and lost reality is when the police arrest Marichuy. They didn't have any proof she did except the words of some angry neighbors who also didn't see her do it. The only one that has proof she did something wrong is the judge who saw her break his windows.
 

Ín öther ¿excíting? ñews, I've fínally ¡learned to type próperly!, thanks tó Doris´s instruction lást week. Congrats, Julia! Also for the terrific recap, m'dear.

Okay, so last night begs the question--just how old is Marichuy supposed to be, fifteen? Chuy realizes she shouldn't steal flowers for a good cause, but then proceeds to steal a whole community's milk and vandalizes a gajillion picture windows of a mansion? Whut?? She and Casilda of the Giant Hair Rollers (who plays her part well, by the way) have that hate-hate thing going, okay, but how could it not even occur to the town's ophan angel that there might have been kids in the other houses she stole from? Someone's baby probably went without milk that morning! It was "steal from the rich and give to the poor" last I checked, not "steal from the poor to give to the poor." What a ditz.

I didn't catch why she broke the windows out, and was thinking it had to be a really good reason--that is, before reading the recap. Because of a fine someone else got and deserved to get? Half the time Chuy acts like she doesn't even like anyone in that gang but Vicente. How weak.

I was glad to see them throw Chuy's butt in the slammer. Come on. I like her, so I don't want to see the writers screw her up. Stay with the poor, fiesty innocent angel, guys. Her making mistakes is one thing--her being unbelievably stupid and a vandal is a whole different ballgame.

Isabela cracks me up so. Most times, when poor Ceci goes into a fit of conscious and crying over leaving her kid, Isa is over her shoulder in the background rolling her eyes and begging God for Ceci to hurry and wrap it up. Then Ceci turns and Isa's all simpatico. LOL!

Viv is her mother's daughter, all right. And y'all wonder why JM is all shell-shocked? Huh. She does wear her clothes well, though, doesn't she?
 

I was being sarcastic. I know Chuy can't be that young, considering what the plot has in store for her and JM...
 

Julia...thanks for checking in on the Querida Enemiga blog line. We always like hearing from you and as I said there, I'm in awe of anyone who can shift without using the clutch.

You're doing a great job on the recaps and titles. I'm not watching this one just because I need to get more reading done, but miss my old pals Maggie and NinaK.

I'll check in from time to time.
 

Yeah, I don't know if they've ever said how old she is, but if she were that young she'd still be living in the orphanage, right? I think she's a young adult, just in need of finishing school. And starting school. Obviously we need to set her up as needing reform so that JM can step in, but I think that, basically, she is loyal to those who have accepted her, and doesn't care about anyone else and doesn't see any reason to.
 

Thanks, Judy. I only usually watch the last bit of QE because I don't get home that early and rarely think to record it, but I always read the recaps. Then sometimes I wish I had recorded the show, especially that hot-sounding episode when Lorena and Chef Hottie went for the picnic!

Even if you don't watch this show generally, you should maybe check in at some point to get a gander at Juan Miguel's castle. It is pretty awesome.
 

Being the basic gal I am, I'd probably be more interested in getting a gander at Juan Miguel himself. But thanks for the heads up!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder