Monday, January 12, 2009

Doña Bárbara - Fri., Dec. 19- Marisela is found and Meléndez ain't the man he used to be

"My God, What have I done? I killed him," says Marisela. She is in shock and DB has a lot of trouble getting her to untie her and unlock the handcuffs. When she is free, she tells Marisela that all she did was save DB's life.

DB tells Marisela not to look at Meléndez. They are alive. Marisela tells DB that Meléndez told her that he was one of the men who... DB confirms that he was one of the men who raped her. He wanted to harm them but he didn't. Marisela says that killing is wrong; it's a sin. DB says that sometimes it is necessary to kill vermin.

Now joined by Guerrero and his men, Santos and the vaqueros continue the search for Meléndez and the two missing women.

"Marisela," says DB, "I need you to be calm and to listen to me carefully. Are you listening? This bastard who died... please, don't cry... what you did was necessary. It was the only thing you could do to save me. Focus. Look at me. This man had a lot of power. Do you understand? It would be dangerous if the truth is known that you... what happened... that you pushed him. My love, I know that you feel guilty but you're not. You aren't. So you don't have to go to jail for this idiot. I won't let that happen but you have to help me. This has to be our big secret forever. You and I as mother... and daugther. Listen to what I am going to tell you: Some unknown men put a hood over your head and tied you up. You never saw their faces. They left you alone the whole time until Melquíades came and rescued you. He untied you. They fired their guns and you ran away. You never, never saw Meléndez."
"Never?" say Marisela.
"Never," says DB hugging Marisela, "I would have died if the same thing had happened to you as did me." She tells Marisela to leave. She will take care of everything.

DB ties up Melquíades' wound. She asks if it hurts. "Not as much as him," says Melquíades indicating Meléndez. Melquíades picks up his knife and asks DB to let him repay the bastard for everything he did to DB and to Marisela. DB says ok provided that he is conscious and looking her in the eyes.

DB wakes Meléndez up and asks him about Sapo, the one remaining rapist. Meléndez tells her that Sapo is an important guy in the government and Meléndez has already told him that DB is still around.

Juan Primito is at La Chusmita looking for Marisela. She comes in to the hut but she won't look at or speak to JP. She lies down on the bed. JP finally goes for help. (This means that the place where Meléndez held Marisela and DB is within walking distance of La Chusmita but none of the many searchers could find it.)

JP finds Santos and takes him back to Marisela. Santos brings Marisela back to Altamira. She is still unresponsive. Dr. Arias comes and says that she is in shock but otherwise unharmed.

DB and Melquíades finish Meléndez off in a particularly grisly way.

DB goes back to El Miedo and takes a bath.

Melquíades and BP make it look like Meléndez and the guard crashed their jeep and it burned. (What are they going to do with the frozen Sargeant?)

DB comes to Altamira and Marisela runs to her arms.

Labels:


Comments:
Since I always avoid the avances, I didn't know that Melendez had survived the pitchfork piercing. He's such a rat that I couldn't feel sorry for him. But it was ominous that he told El Sapo where to find La Doña.

I know I'm probably a sentimental sucker, but I adored the awakening of DB's affection for Marisela. Edith was so good in this scene where she concocts the plot so Marisela won't be blamed for Melendez' death.

It was quite interesting that Marisela was unresponsive to her father, Cecilia, and Santos, but ran into her mother's arms. She seems to know who the really strong one is!
 

Forgot to say, loved your title: Melendez ain't the man he used to be, indeed!
 

Glad you liked the title, Novelera. ;-)

DB used to say that she couldn't love her daughter. She just didn't have it in her. Obviously, that wasnt't true. When it came to Marisela being threatened, DB found that she does care about her daughter, a lot.
I agree that Edith Gonzalez was magnificent in the scenes with Marisela.
 

Thanks, Jean. Yikes. I thought Melendez was dead. That was pretty grisly watching DB talking to him and taunting an impaled Melendez.
 

Thanks again, Jean!

Regarding the distance between El Chusmita and the abduction hut, I wouldn't work up too much sweat about it, nor depend on it as an indication of anything. I've always found that distances between places in novelas are like they are in dreams: sometimes long, sometimes short, and sometimes uphill both ways.

On DB, her lack of care for Marisela is something I always interpreted as as something she forced herself to do so that she had no ties to anyone and thus no place where anyone could get leverage on her.

Recently, we've seen that this is not true at all (Unlike Gervasia, where DB only used her as a trap).

First, DB showed what she would do for Eustaquia.

Then recently, we saw how attached she was to Melquiades.

Now we are seeing some of her true affection for Marisela.

However, I still feel that there is a definite duality about DB: She can be good at times, but also very bad. So, I am bracing myself for how she will use this "secret" she shares with Marisela. This secret can be guarded to protect Marisela, but it can also be used as leverage to get Marisela to do as DB wishes -- such as in the case of Santos.

I also note that, by telling Marisela to keep mum about Melendez, DB not only protects Marisela, but she also keeps Sherlock Santibobo from playing Inspector Clouseau -- or is it CHIEF Inspector Clouseau?

I still see DB as the character to watch in this show, and especially now that her attempts to wall herself off from her feelings are increasingly torn down. She is the one who is being presented with real dilemmas, and Edith is doing a superb job in relating that torment to us.
 

Thanks Jean! I've just caught up from the past week with no DB. Really missed it and wow so much happened. Also, it's really interesting to read everyone's comments from the past week.

Edith is good. I saw her in Mundo de Fieras, where she was just bad or evil. In DB she's showing all sorts of emotions, sometimes mixed together.

DB is being 'forced' by events to expose the 'loving' parts of her. (Which I didn't think she had.) At the same time, she doesn't hesitate to bring on the extremely cruel behavior. So, I'm betting she's not willing to change...
jb
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder