Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fuego 1-27: The next in a series of bitter pills, and vengeance galore.

This is the third of my four recaps for Cheryl, and the subtitles are still dead. I'm going to wait till the switchover to digital signal and then complain. In the meantime...

From yesterday: Franco would give Sara up out of respect for Sarita's devotion to her awful mother, but Oscar points out the mother is a ghastly witch and Franco shouldn't yield. Darth, drunk as a skunk, comes to the hacienda and shouts for Gab's sympathy: their spouses did it together! Dismayed, Furd leaps up the stairs to reassure Gab he has tender love for her and never strays. She falls down the Staircase of Death but, as Julie sadly reported, does not die.

Juan appears, scoops Gab up in his Manly Arms, and puts her to bed while Sofia and Sara fuss around. Sofia's ruffled satin blouse is exceptionally hideous.

Root scolds Darth as he lounges against the would-be Stairs of Death: "Daddy, shame! You're the one who told ME to act only in cold blood!" "I was mad." Root's angst-bubble: "Will Furd tell Mommy I boinked him?"

Soledad tells the Bouffy Padre she feels guilty that Raquel went to confront Darth and now she's gone. Helpfully the Padre consoles her: "Each of us has a destiny that can't be evaded." Soledad wants to report Raquel's absence to the authorities. Hey, good idea!

To compress all these bed scenes: Gab doesn't want to see the good daughters and says so clearly, over and over and over. She only wants to see Ruth and Furd. However, she doesn't trust them. Though Furd swears he loves only her and that Darth is lying, Gab heard differently from Raquel herself. She also knows or intuits that Furd's boots have been under Ruth's bed...

...Furd and Ruth give each other hateful looks, but jointly assure Gab that they, and only they, love her with a deep, disinterested love (ie nothing to do with her moolah, though Furd casts speculative glances at her jewelry.)

Furd thinks Root will have to help him hustle Gab along towards the Pearly (or not) Gates. That's because he thinks he still has, in his safe, the paper she signed giving him half of Gab's fortune. However, Juan gives the paper to Root (in exchange for her having revealed to Sofia the drugged sex caper), so she's free of that particular blackmail, and she is not exactly with Furd's Pearly-Gates program. She is searching, searching: for love, for a way out of her life of hatred... She feels emptiness; Furd says she's weak.

The Doctor comes (probably on a donkey). He inspects Gab and tells her - and then the others - that she hasn't done any of the things he told her to. She drinks and doesn't watch her diet and is surrounded by stress (is this a Public Service Announcement?) and so she's much sicker and if she doesn't mend her ways she could die of a heart attack at any moment. He leaves.

Quintina and her solterona friends (a soltera is a single woman; a solterona is a big hunk of hopelessly pathetic single woman. Like me for instance...) are sewing rhinestones on things and preparing for some dumb ceremony, Quintina will be M.C. and she picks up her skirt and shows her red underpants.

The moon is still full.

Eva appears several times, futilely telling Root not to be so bitter, that real love is giving so others can be happy. She tells the Good Daughters she is there for them like a mother. It makes me want to puke.

Coyote (aka Ricardo Uribe Jr.) comes to pay his respects to Gab and hears that the Stairway of Death almost killed her. He and Juan have important discussions...

...Coyote reveals his true identity and his desire for vengeance against his father (Darth) and Gabriela. Juan remembers he promised Soledad to take care of her son, to dissuade him from his fatalistic path of vengeance. He sort of tries to, yelling that retaliation doesn't work very well and that Soledad doesn't deserve to suffer this way and she won't like it if her son falls off a cliff while trying to avenge her.

"Thank God you have a mother - I'd love to be able to talk to mine -" Juan gets so wrapped up in flashing back his own tale of vengeance, he gets all excited and sort of ends up encouraging the whole idea.

They both wonder, meanwhile, where Raquel is. Then, Coyote says: "Many unexpected things happen on rainy nights like the one during which Libia died. Maybe you should investigate further." "Hmm, maybe I should investigate further," our sharp-witted hero replies.

And Juan vengeance-bubbles: "My heart tells me the people responsible for my parents' deaths are very nearby..."

Simultaneously, Darth remembers Raquel falling off the cliff and seems a little remorseful. "I've killed twice, FIRST THOSE REYES and now my own wife! Gabriela is to blame!" He winces, ugh, Raquel gloating about Furd's superior amatory ability... "I have to get vengeance on him..."

He realizes Soledad must be the mother of his mystery son. He rides all over asking peasants if they've seen a scarfaced woman. He finally gets pointed to her house. Juan, also on horseback, is close on his tail.

Furd goes off to fill Gab's prescriptions and comes home with poison polvo. "Here, take this." Gab watches him with haunted eyes and swallows the bitter pill.

Finally: Oscar is out of the wheelchair and onto crutches. The Reyes brothers rejoice hugely. I'm kind of uncomfortable with the idea that only on legs can Oscar really be part of the action, but I guess that's too politically correct for Mexidoon.

Tomorrow: Sofia pardons Juan (yawn); Gabriela is not doing so well on her Furd-administered medical regimen...

Labels:


Comments:
So who needs closed captions? Great, punchy recap. The rest of us all envy your ability to write funny, fast and efficiently. Elegant sarcasm is how I'd describe it.

"Elegant" in the sense that it's done in the slickest, most accurate fashion possible without a lot of filler drivel. You would NOT therefore be a good telenovela writer.

Great read and a ton of stylistic points Jefecita.
 

Wow, Judy, thanks! My speed comes from my start, recapping all of Alborada. If you do it five days a week you can't get too particular about details... I realize now I've kind of been missing having my own "day." Thank you for your comment.
 

Very witty Melinama. Thank you for makiing a boring episode more interesting. Whoever dresses Slofia seriously needs to go find another job. Ack! The whole Ruth and Eva thing is tiresome and getting really old. For the love of God would somebody tell Slofia who her real mother is! Please, please, please spare us.

You'd think someone would have found Raquel's body by now. Maybe the coyote's carried her away. We have problems with coyotes coming up to houses and killing little dogs. Raquel is too big to be a little dog but maybe they thought her wig was a little dog.
 

Melinama: GREAT recrap! Missed all but the final momentitos last night but enjoyed your version so much more.

Funny how Crabi only wants love from those who are plotting to kill her. Great judge of character, that one. She deserves all that she gets but why would she swallow anything that Feo gives her? Idiot.

Caprichio! What a horse...just plain gorgeous. I'd kill to get a chance to ride him.

Maggarita
:-)
 

What JudyB said. Thanks for a great, snarky recrap. I prefer compressed, due to time management issues. ;-) Thank heavens I'm not doing recaps. They would say, "Juan lines. Sofi lines. Gabi lines. Eva lines. Yadda yadda yadda. End of story."

How does Darth Rico know Soledad has a scar on her face? Did I miss something? or is it more Mexiloonyness?

Too bad a big breeze didn't catch Raquel's wig and take her flying away. (viz: Flying Nun)

doris
 

Ruh roh, Doris...you're applying logic which means your beanie may be slipping off!

Racqui as Sr. Bertrille...LOL!

Maggarita
 

I'm with Judyb, who needs the captions? Actually, I do, tho I'm afraid that they are a bit of a crutch, and I'm not tuning my ear, but relying on reading the words. (Lately, tho, the captions have been pretty poor, lots of gibberish and missed lines, actually a distraction). Anyway, thanks for the quick, succint recap, Melinama...When is Sofia going to learn that Eva es su madre? El ultimo capitulo? Gawd, tell the girl already!..I think that Crabi's so invested in hate and rencor that she can't see that anyone is good, that her daughters do have her best interest in mind. She is a very odd character. I was asking the same question as Doris- how does Darth know that Soledad is physically scarred? It was curious that we didn't get an update on coyote's search party. Notice how goofy they are being withthe moon shots? Last nite it was full, unobstructed, then, thru some branches, then over Mexidoon, then gone, all in about 2 seconds. They should have names this TN "Fuego Quemo' el Cerebro"
 

Thanks, Melinama. Quack doctor...did he ever consider the hospital for Crabi since she's at death's door. But then, it would be more difficult for Feo's evil deeds to take place. I, too, wondered how Darth knew Soledad had a scar.
Darth must have super powers of vision as he saw Soledad for one second from a distance.
Lol. Yes, Juan is not a great motivational speaker...as he actually ends up encouraging Coyote to seek revenge. At least the writers are nothing but consistent. GinCA
 

Thanks, Melinama. You're still the queen. And isn't it amazing even after the many telenovelas that followed your brilliant recap of my alltime fav novela Alborada...''We're still having fun , and you're still the one.'' [Who gets a shout out for that line???...I can remember the lyrics and t5hat it was used to sell CocaCola, but I can't remember the creator.]
 

Melinama, I am in Puebla enjoying a cool sunny morning after my excellent capacino and ham and gruyere on a croissant at El Sueño. I have so many stories to tell.
I have been reading the recaps to keep up with four of the tn's here and so I appreciate your efforts to do such a fabulous job on Tuesdays. I DID notice that you are counting the four episodes down. HA! By the next and your final one I should be approaching Puerto Vallarta again to ditch the car at Avis and hop on a plain a week from today (Wed.) I'm off on a day trip to Cholula for the church on top of a pyramid. One thing I can say is that the filming of the church and volcano must have been all done on one very clear day. Yesterday I took a little tour bus to the highest point in Puebla and we could not see ANY of the volcanos except at moments they looked like they were receding in a dream of haze. Hasta pronto amigos.
 

Very nicely done Melinama. We don't need no stinkin' closed captions! Actually I have wondered if the CCs haven't made me a bit lazy. I think that I listen much more closely when they're not available. My Spanish tutor tsk tsks me whenever I mention them, so now I don't.(Mention them that is.) You know I never even doubted that Raquel is dead, but yesterday she (my tutor) gave me a smug smile and asked, "¿Estás seguro que Raquel está muerta?" Apparently there are others who have their doubts. Nursed back to health by coyotes? Makes sense to me. Carlos
 

Whoah, not dead? Looked like that cliff was about a 20-story drop. No fair!
 

Carlos- I had a suspicion that Raqui isn't dead- does your tutor know somehing that we don't? And how do you get the accent mark on top of the proper letter, and the inverted question mark at the beginning of the sentence?
 

I suspect Carlos' tutor is an experienced, long-time telenovela aficionado. She's right, you know. We don't have a body. Yet. Oh, duh! Must be the nuclear waste effect.

doris
 

doradodave, I really doubt that she would have any inside knowledge or clairvoyance nor has she been back to Mexico recently. Obviously there are others of us who have their doubts. For the Spanish symbols try http://www.conted.und.edu/Bbsix/courses/TypeSpanish.html Good luck. Believe me, if I can make it work, anyone can. Carlos
 

Cheryl- I didn't realize that that you were in Puebla- and I know that you have plans, but PLEASE go to Serdan, and tell Coyote that Raqui is at the bottom of that cliff. Maybe you coul d also stay after dark, and report on the full moon...
 

thanks, Carlos, I'll give it a try later...dd
 

Melinama, some recaps have me smiling, but your's is one of the few that make me laugh out loud, even at work! Great job.

Susanlynn, the song "Still the One" is by the group Orleans. I remember seeing them a few times in the late 70's, and they had an excellent guitarist, John Hall, who also joined up with Bonnie Raitt on a few projects.
 

Melanoma, don't be so hard on yourself: "a solterona is a big hunk of hopelessly pathetic single woman. Like me for instance." It's not healthy. I had subtitulos en espanol until the last scene.
 

And while you are in Serdan Cheryl could you map out the location of the various buildings and the road to the haciendas? That way we would know how far Jimena had to run barefooted, in her bathrobe, in the dark because she was being attacked. :}
 

Cheryl, while you're in Cd. Serdan, you might want to visit Comisario Mutton Chops and fill him in on what's happening under his nose. GinCA
 

Melinama, thanks for the cogent recap.
I haven't yet read all y'alls comments yet but here's my question: Gabi thought Soledad died in the fire. Didn't Darth think Sol was dead all these years? But last night he said: "So the child Soledad had must be MY son."
If he knew about the scar, then he knew Sol survived the fire...WTF??? She was the love of his life and he walks away after the fire?
"creemelo", gotta get back to work, yikes.
 

Hombre~~Thanks for that information. Is that John Hall of Hall and Oates ? I love him. I saw them in concert a few years ago . and they were great.
 

(OT) - re: John Hall - he's now a congressman in New York. He sang a duet with Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/78006/november-08-2006/john-hall
That was pretty awesome last year. They start singing 3:30 min. into the piece.

susanlynn - that's a different John Hall. I loved Hall & Oates, too!

doris
 

Connie, I share your persistent interest in the map of Serdan. Like you, I think it would be valuable in helping us understand some of the goings on there. The way some of the events transpired almost makes one consider that there is an ever changing, shifting topography. And now we could maybe use the map in aiding the search for the missing Raquel. You have my support in your quest. Perhaps Cheryl will be able to illuminate us. Carlos
 

Carlos, I think it is just that my beanie keeps slipping. I'll see if I can come up with something. So what are all the buildings/landmarks we see all the time--Church, Market, Crap from Afar, Dispensario, Bad Love Bar (out of business?), Hacienda EE, Hacienda RR, Rape Forest, Libia's tomb/waterfall. What am I missing?
 

Connie, don't forget the hoosegow, the nunnery, and the old folks home. Also there is handsome horse guy's place and leukemia girl's dad's place. I suspect that the jungle Indian reservation is rather nearby. I suspect you'll need a bottle of Tequila and of course your beanie firmly in place. Good luck with this. Carlos
 

I think Ricardo recently found out that Soledad wasn't dead as a result of her coming to visit Gabi. I thought Gabi told him. Maybe I'm wrong about that. IN any case he certainly figured it out when he saw her in the street last week.

I don't know how he knew about the scar. I thought he was too far away to see it, but then, she wasn't too far away to hear him mumble "Soledad," so... ?

Eh, why am I making excuses for stuff that doesn't make sense??
 

Doris, actually I introduced my tutor to the world of telenovelas. Alborada was her first, and then I came up with 10 reasons why she should watch LFMB. Now she's hopelessly ensnared and doesn't even take phone calls during her shows. As I do she limits herself to 2 shows at any one time. I think it's been a fair tradeoff as she's introduced me to Spanish literature and art. Carlos
 

Doris~~Thanks for the clarification on John Hall. As for the map of Mexidoon, I remember that when I first fell down the telenovela rabbit hole upon channelsurfing into Alborado that I was surprised to see that Luis's mansion was right around the corner from the town. I had originally thought that it was far out in the countryside until I saw Luis riding into town. That novela gave viewers a much more visual understanding of where the different locales were located. Suspended disbelief is the only way to watch this odd novela.
 

Whoops..''stevi'' is my name on the other forum that I frequent. I get confused sometimes when I am hoping back and forth .
 

Carlos~~What a sweet puppy. Is that the dog who just had surgery ?
 

How about nekkid watering hole (maybe it is near the waterfall) and the famous Reyes Bakery.... which was in such a weird location that the R boys and E girl's never noticed each other in 20(chuckle) or so years. GinCA
 

Susanlynn, yes indeed, Bonnie Belle is a sweet puppy. Not super bright, but extremely outgoing and friendly. And yes, she is recovering from knee surgery (torn cruciate ligament). She's accustomed to having a few friends over for a play date on Sat. and/ or Sun., but this is forbidden for the next 8 wks. plus she has to be closely confined for the same time. God help us! Carlos
 

I hadn't seen that picture Carlos. They look so sweet when they are sleeping, don't they. Is she a red pit? You don't see too many of those. Mine is a brindle. The vet said she is the smallest pit she's ever seen. Stormy is about 55 and Rain is about 45. Rain can sure hold her own though! They don't like to let go!
 

Is the nekkid swimming hole the same as the waterfall/tomb area? It looks the same to me but I'm just not sure.
 

Could we have some nekkid swimming to be sure we are thinking of the right place? I need to see it again, just to be sure.

When everyone is happy at the end will they all go swimming? Could someone please take a shower? Can Juan stop scratching at his lice, its really bugging me!
 

I'm so confuuuused. When I check GoogleMaps for Cerdán, it appears to involve crossing a mountain range, and sits a maybe 10 - 15 miles south of Monterrey. It says Puebla is approx. 75 miles west of there.

If this is correct, how do they get beamed up (courtesy of Scotty) from one place to the other so quickly?

Inquiring minds want to know. Que the . . . ?


doris (whose beanie hat fell off)
 

Ok Doris, tranquillo! Quick, somebody give her a beanie intervention! Since Mexiloon is whatever we want to make it, I say we just make up something we can all live with. I'll try to come up with something tonight.
 

Considering that Juan also fell at least 20 feet into raging water with a gunshot wound to the face -- and survived -- I guess it's not impossible that Raquel could still be alive. After all, she did have helmet hair to break her fall!
 

Melinama: Ditto what JudyB says. Love the "Staircase of Death" reference!
 

I love Renee's idea that Raquel's wig may have preserved her skull from pulverisation. Like a really good packing job. Industrial strength hairspray.
 

Ayyyy,, I found Serdan and Puebla on a proper map. I was spelling it wrong, for one thing. Mexiloon? Nuclear waste effect? I found Cerdan, though, and it still looks like it's a good distance from Puebla.

doris
 

I LOVE the wig/lifesaving helmet theory. Thank you, Renee! This could be a great idea for a product. All telenovela characters should wear them.
 

I don't know how much of this I can straighten out but have been taking pictures everywhere. The Puebla spots where Gabi and Feo have had trysts is pretty easy to find. The chapel in the beginning and a big cathedral are in Cholula. When I returned from Cholula by bus this afternoon, I saw big road signs for Serdan but not a kilometer notice with it. I will be leaving here for Oaxaca tomorrow morning and may not be back on line for a bit so I wll try to see where Serdan is but if it isn't on the high road to Oaxaca, you will have to continue your plans to reconstruct a model village we can all live with.

Melinama has given me permission to post my photo essay to be entitled something like: "Tripping Through Telenovela Territory" on Caray Caray. This journey has several themes but the telenovela search has been the most fun.

So Raquel to come back with a big headache from her red helmut but otherwise ready to kick butt and take names. I can't wait. What a great idea.
 

terrific recap. Watching Juan hurt his brain trying to figure out what has happened reminded me that Slofia and Tio Elf still have not told him that Ricky U. es "el que mato a los padres de los hermanos Reyes" (say in slow motion and muy exagerada like only Slofia can). What gives? He's gonna hate her for not revealing the truth. Was there some legitimate reason for the delay? Like had Juan known, and croaked Ricky U, maybe Raquel would still be alive...hairdo and all. Slofia was only too quick to want to rat Fernando out about his infidelities.
VV, scratching her head
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder