Monday, March 09, 2009

Mañana es para siempre 3/9 - an alias, 'Barbara'? Two can play at that game: meet 'Franco Santoro'!

Well, according to the avances it's a CRUCIAL NIGHT on Mañana Es Para Siempre, but as my young friend Ms. Salazar says, they're always trying to hook you that way. Let's see...
  • We review the heartbreaking scene of Lili telling lil' Fer: "I saw Eduardo!" and begging piteously for her freedom until she gets shot up with more drugs and lapses back into dreamland.

  • Leaving the insane asylum for their next cheerful destination (Mom's tomb in the chapel), Pop Elizalde and lil' Fer commiserate about poor Lili. The chauffeur (Barbara's stoolie) listens as Fer tells her dad "Lili mentioned Eduardo." "Who?" "Have you really forgotten?" Dad sez Lil is confused with childhood memories.

    Fer: "Those were the happiest times of our lives. You should never have sent him so far away just because of a kiss, it was unjust. Who convinced you to do it?" "It doesn't matter... anyway, he was just a peon." (Hiss.)

  • In a field, Jacinto tells Eduardo: "Your mother was right, you should go back to the U.S., we can't overcome Barbara's evil."

    Eduardo asks after his beloved horse, Amanecer - "He's dead and buried under a tree." They see a couple kids ("they're the grandsons of Don Clemente") with a couple of horses - Ed borrows them and they ride off to an empty farmhouse.

    Ed decides he will rent the farmhouse under a false name and stay in the area, both to facilitate avenging and because he missed his home the entire time he was away. He had a great job after he graduated business school and saved a lot of dinero. Jacinto protests, you're in trouble because Barbara hates you.

    Ed: "I'll kill off Eduardo Cruz. I'll rent this farm, furnished, and you'll help me."

    They take the horses back to the boys and Ed pays well for the rental. One of the boys calls him Señor Fuereño (a guy from someplace else) to Eduardo's grim amusement.

    Finally, Ed asks Jacinto to get all the contact info for everybody in the Milk Group. "I'll explain later, just do it!" Poor Jacinto.

  • Margarita is worried - and in no way convinced by Jacinto's lame succession of lies, fabricated hastily to explain away the time he's spending with Eduardo. Jacinto is definitely in over his head.

    He finally tells his wife about the expired powdered milk he saw in the barn. She says, either we denounce the Hyena or we leave this place. She walks out, he wanders around hitting things in befuddled exasperation. He sits to put his head in his hands and sees an Elizalde business card. Maybe it will help Ed/Franco with the venging, so Jacinto grabs it and leaves, telling Margarita he's going to see the "old trout" and after that, to take care of the horses. She reminds him of her ultimatum: "I'd rather lose this house we struggled for than to lament a tragedy."

  • Later, Jacinto runs back to the barn - "How odd, it isn't padlocked..." - and breaks in, all the milk is gone.

  • Well, that's because the many bags of milk were moved to a hiding place in a bodega somewhere.

  • Gardenia once again overhears Barbara having a suspicious phone call (and wearing a black dress with white bacilli crawling over it). Barb to Gardenia: "Tell my husband I'm at the beauty parlor." Barb leaves and immediately Gardenia picks up the phone, writes down the number Barbara just called, and sticks it in her bra. Wow, she's turning out to be a good spy!

    That stoolie chauffeur reports to Barbara about Lili's yelling scene at the manicomio and Barbara's very pleased to hear about it. She tells the chauffeur to give the wedding dress to Fer. The chauffeur flirts with Gardenia, but she's disgusted and calls him a gossip.

  • At the chapel, Daddy Elizalde and Fer silently brood about the poor dead wheezer-that-was, Montserrat, and also about Lil in the loony bin. It was sad to lose Montserrat, but the loss of Lili is a continuing torment, Lili has spent 15 years in hell.

  • And just at that moment, Lili is curled up in bed shaking in her coma. In comes her geezer friend (how can he just come in like that) and says: "The White Queen is sleeping. But some day she'll wake up with the power to start a fire."

  • Eduardo calls his redheaded friend Steve in the States (from the "Telephone and Cheese House") and asks him to collect all the information on the Elizalde's finances and businesses (which the two of them had assembled for a report on Latin American companies) and send it to him under a false name (to be announced).

    While they talk, Ed is absent-mindedly fishing what looks like a driver's license from behind the pay phone. That was fortuitous, wasn't it? He half-heartedly tries to give it to the cheese lady but she isn't interested in taking it. He sees the name is Franco Santoro and decides that will be his new alias. He calls Steve again and gives him the name.

  • Daddy Elizalde advises Fer: "Yes, it was sad, and Lili had a crisis, but chin up!" Gardenia arrives with the wedding dress. "Where's my wife? I thought she'd wait for us." But evidently she's gone to the, ahem, beauty parlor.

  • Damian arrives unexpectedly, saying his boss is out of the office so he can play hookey, he wants to take Fer to lunch.

    He gets a call on his cell. He says it's from one of his engineers but it's actually Barbara in her car: "Get Fer out of the house and keep her away all day, she mustn't find out Soledad is dead."

    Well, when he gets off the phone, first thing Fer sez is, "Let's go see how my nana's doing."

    Her daddy is surprised to hear Soledad's been ailing - way to stay in touch with your loyal life-long servant, dude! "Yes, she had pneumonia but she's better," Fer cluelessly explains. Damian says they can visit Nana later.

  • Barbara reports to Artemio Bravo about the bad milk hidden in the bodega. She wants to denounce the Elizaldes immediately, so Gonzo can go to jail (and she won't have to share a bed with him any more), but Artemio says no, he wants the Elizaldes ruined financially, their accounts zeroed out. She protests but he tells her not to disobey. "Destroy the milk, it's hundreds of tons, there will be millions of dollars of losses!" He then asks about Soledad's son. "It appears he's forgotten his mother!"

  • Oh, it was hard to stay attentive during the thrilling conversation about milk politics Priscila has with her brother in his office. Well, first, Priscila and her brother put his company's new milk (with 50% more calcium) in their coffee. "Mmm, tasty!"

    Desultory gossip follows ... some of the milk tzars are innovating, mother is in Scandinavia, dad is playing golf, what's your imbecile husband doing with powdered milk, you know our dad has been waiting for you to have a child so as to cement the milk industry alliances. "I'm working on it." He cruelly points out she's been working on it already for seven years.

  • Anibal is just telling a protesting Engineer "Tonight's the night for processing the expired powdered milk!" when Barbara comes in and semi-casually cancels the whole plan, blaming it on Priscila's family having found out: "They'll denounce you." "No, Priscila wouldn't..." "You think she's more loyal to YOU than to her family?"

    Barbara paints a picture of dreadful scandal which would certainly implicate Pop Elizalde. Anibal sputters about the millions of dollars of losses. Barbara: "I have a plan for later. In the mean time, dump the milk tonight. And watch out for your wife."

  • Eduardo is in the very mall where Damian has, coincidentally, brought Fer for lunch. Ed is busy making plans for his new identity, starting by sweet-talking an official young woman into accepting his photo id even though he doesn't look anything like the picture and then getting some new credit cards and a cellphone.

  • Damian gives Fer the honeymoon tickets. He's planned a trip to Hawaii, Polynesia, Borneo, New Guinea, they'll be away for almost four months! Fer is shocked, that's so long, she'd rather go for just three weeks. He resists but then says he is so crazy in love with her he must do everything she asks.

    String players stroll over and serenade her, he gives her a pair of pearl earrings surrounded by flowers. "A symbol of our love."

Tomorrow: Fer sees the handsome man she recently sprayed with mud. He asks, "are you still planning to get married?"

And, speaking of mud, we will be gifted tomorrow with a professional mud fight - evidently Ed knows one of the muddy bikinied women from childhood! Way to add a gratuitously lubricious scene in order to boost ratings!

And, lil' Fer wants to show her wedding dress to her nana! Ruh-roh!

Labels:


Comments:
Oh joy and rapture, we got to see FC ride a horse. Sigh...what a deeply satisfying experience.

Thank you for the fun recap, you really have a way with words. (Wheezer-that-was indeed.) I also enjoyed the link to "peon".

Mud wrestling?!? No puede ser!!
 

Thank you melinama. I really enjoyed my morning read. And I'm with Sylvia Sharkbait: Fernando on a horse—It brings back all those Alborada scenes, sigh!

Jacinto: "befuddled exasperation." Hah, the perfect description. This poor guy is really "entre la espada y la pared"

Barbara: "wearing a black dress with white bacilli crawling over it" I had wondered what those were.

"Gardenia picks up the phone, writes down the number Barbara just called, and sticks it in her bra." thereby demonstrating skills that the FELS folk would never have dreamed of and might've saved us a few months of agony.

"gratuitously lubricious scene"—the avances kept showing tantalizing but puzzling bits of mud wrestling. But, as you say, it's for the ratings.
 

Oh yeah...Fernando in the tight black sweater and jeans of mourning ON A FINE STALLION....The symbolism...I am so there. Thank you, thank you, thank you to TPTB for putting ONH on a horse. Now , I don't care how lame the storylines are. I think Prissy's bro is the guy who played Antonio's pal in Alborada and Gaviota's Italian bud in Destilando.
 

Melinama: thanks for the recap! Once again, I'm left in the dust with the long conversations...you're keeping me afloat!

I came up with a new name for our lovely demon in a dress: Barb Dwyer.

Ed + tight sweater + horse = sweet dreams! [ogle ogle ogle drool ogle]

Maggarita
;-)
 

Thank you, Melinama. Glad I'm not the only one that kinda curdles with the politics of milk. And FC, I watched him in Pasion and Youtubed Alborada. Can only imagine what it must be like to have him lay that smile on ya in person like he did the young lady in that office. . .while wearing a tight sweater and jeans of any color.

And Gardenia. I don't know. That was smart to get the number but La Hyena (aka Evilbitch) is going to notice a page has been torn out of the. .what was it a message pad? and I immediately wondered if it had those pressure sensitive carbons in which case the number is going to show up on another page. Doh! I'm afraid for that girl!

Khalilah
 

Fine recap Melinama. Why is it that handsome men look even more handsome when they are riding a horse? Remember Juan and Capricho? Sigh.... I actually like FC with some stubble on his face. I don't know why really but I do. Note to Gardenia..have you ever heard of redial?

Did anyone watch Cristina last night? I thought for sure Root was going to have a wardrobe malfunction! They were talking really, really fast. I kept shouting at the TV to slow down but of course they couldn't hear me. I get so frustrated I shut down. I do not have the new version of the beanie with the chipmunk translater so any tips for understanding at a rapid rate would be greatly appreciated. My approach now is to just close my eyes and relax and let the words flow through me.
 

Connie, you probably have a better command of Spanish than I but what you just said about letting the words flow through is the ticket. I find when I do that, catching a word here and there and using visual or other contextual cues there comes a point when the Spanish flows understood into my mind. It kinda skips that thing in your head that wants to translate word for word and chunks of it flow in establishing their own uninterpreted meaning. I don't have a Chimpmunk-speak decoder either. My family says I go on taping frenzies but if it's interesting I also rewind and let it flow through my head over and over. Just a thought.

Khalilah
 

Thanks Khalilah. At least I'm not the only one that does that. For instance I listen to music in Spanish and I listen to it over and over and then all of a sudden "ah hah" you get it. I don't like subtitles on the TV because then you are too busy reading and not listening. If I'm watching by myself I do better than if someone is with me because I get distracted and can't focus!
 

I understand more than I can speak it. If I try to speak it I'm afraid people will laugh at me (sometimes my boyfriend does.) I know when people are talking about me though!
 

Melinama - thanks for the recap. I've been gone a week and Fernanda still doesn't know Soledad is dead??? Ack.

I wonder if the 'calcium' to enrich the powdered milk is melamine?

Milk biz is probably no different from the beef biz. It's all very scary.

doris (who needs to sign in . . .)
 

Melinama, another great recap. Last night when Pris was on screen, I could not take my eyes of her hair. Thanks a lot for drawing my attention to that. I still think that she is DDG. I thought the same about Ivonne in JQ. Tonight of course I'm sure we're all looking forward to the mud(pudding?)wrestling.

Carlos
 

Cute picture of Bonnie Belle Carlos. Despite what most people think, Pits are loving, loyal, and family friendly dogs. They are also so darn cute.
 

I was very proud that I actually understood a lot of the conversation between Ed and Jacinto last night. I usually can only pick out words , but I understood most of that conversation. Maybe it's just Fernando ....I think I have a psychic connection to him. Plus, he usually speaks slowly and deliberatley and clearly . I liked the scene where Sergio [Damien] kept hitting himself on the forehead with his cellphone...I think Sergio is toying with us. I also enjoyed watching Ed turn that smile and that charm on the girl who was questioning the photo on the card. Suave. P.S. That black and white frock that Baba was wearing made me think of cows. Remember Gaviota's Agave headdress in the opening montage of Destilando ?
 

Doris: yeah, what is with Nanda not knowing that Soledad is dead? Of course, we have no idea how much time has elapsed but still...

Gaviota of the Celery Head? ack!!!!

maggarita
 

Looks like Eddy has a plan now, let's get on with it. Gardenia is difinitely in trouble for having riiped a page out of the day planner, no doubt the impression from writing that phone # will still be there, and BOW will know that someone knows that that # has been lifted. (Note to evreyone- if you are involved in a cladestine operation, ALWAYS dial a second # number after the secret call). Poor Jacinto, he's really getting pressured, not even an empty milk bag to show to Marg to prove his cover story about his morning whereabouts. I think that I'd have hidden at least ONE bag for later proof. I'm still not tracking on this whole leche caduca scheme. I guess that I should just give up trying to understand it since it's been kybashed, anyway. It sure looks like dear Camilo is about to be skewered for having bought that shipment- pobrecito.
I watched Cristina for as long as I could. Why is it always the women that talk so daaaamn fast that they are unintelligible? Connie, I too, sometimes find the captions a hinderance, but I haven't tried closing me eyes. I have the opposite problem, tho, I speak better that understand. Your boyfiend laughing at you is the worst thing that he can do- he should be doing all that he can to help you. I had a employee whose girls laughed at her when she tried to speak english, she gave up trying, and as a result lost that opportunity to learn, and was embarrassed to even try, even with my encouragement. Another suggestion would be to speak ONLY spanish with him- maybe even make it a rule. You will be amazed at how fast it can come when there is no alternative to communication but to converse in spanish.
 

Melinama:

Thanks for another great recap. I especially appreciated your clearing up where FC has been for 15 years and when he got all of the money he is spending.

rsk
 

Thanks for the suggestion Dorado Dave. I agree that when women speak it is much faster than a man. I prefer to hear men speak it as opposed to women. It's like fingernails on a chalk board for me. Sometimes I'll say something and there will be a long pause while he tries to figure out what I said. I've taken Spanish since I was in the 4th grade all the way through college and always got A's. So I don't know. I'll keep trying though.
 

My students often complain that their relatives [children, spouses, etc] will not help them with their English. Children are especially uncooperative with their parents' attempts to learn the language. My daughter was engaged to a guy whose mother was from the Phillippines. He was born here and spoke perfect English , but he was always making fun of his mother's accent.
 

Susanlynn- Colunga's speaking was what I was most looking forward to for this TN. He is one of those people that I am able to understand without any effort.
Connie- I hear you about some women being like fingernails/chalk (think Marichuy on Cuidado). Maybe you could explain to your boyfriend how important it is to you to learn spanish better, and that he is the one person that could help you the most. He probably operates in the english-speaking world, and doesn't have any lack of opportunity to practice his english. You, however, probably have much more limited opportunity to practice your spanish. With minimal effort (pronunciation, explanation, patience), he could be an invaluable teacher, and you would gain an invaluable skill for the rest of your life.
 

Marichuy ack! I can't stand it! When I met my boyfriend he spoke almost no English but because of me he got a program and has been learning. He does a really good job. He still has problems with some expressions etc. But he's doing pretty well. Sometimes he'll say something and have me repeat it. I think I'm just being too timid maybe.
 

Thanks for the recap, Melinama. I was back and forth between MEPS and the dancing stars, so really appreciated the good summary.
Barb's black dress with the very large white flowers(?) or whatever abomination that is--hurts my eyes.
La Paloma
 

Didn't ol' Ciro look like he was all set to go play a round of croquet out on the lawn? Maybe he'll help get Lil (who I think looks great even without makeup) up and rolling. Speaking of makeup, is the good Dr.O wearing eye makeup? Oh no!

I agree, Susanlynn, that Damian is teasing us with his cell phone. It's just a matter of time.

Carlos
 

I'm glad someone else noticed the cell phone besides me. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see if he was going to smash it! But no...... he is just teasing us.
 

Thank you Melinama, I'd be lost without you.
Ahy-eee, that look on Edwardo's face when the clerk checked his photo ID. The honest man looked 'stumped'! Then to a break while I thought he has to get up to speed on identity theft! But I was relieved to see that bold charm did the trick.
While I'm dealing out reprimands, what's with Popa! Didn't he ever even miss seeing his daughter, let alone the woman he treasured enough to defend her from Barbara's earlier plan to fire her? Shee.eesh.
I LIKE how those little accidental findings are moving the plot in a positive direction. (Aren't the bad guys usually the ones that discover things to support their bad deeds!) Jacinta comes accross the business card which sparks an idea; Edwardo comes accoss the bags of milk and the very believable happenstance of a card in the phone stall.
Does "entre la espada y la pared" translate to English idiom of having ones 'back against the wall'?
I've been admiring Barbara's taste in clothes. But now Melinama I'm wondering is 'bacilli' a blow-up of a bacteria germ. (I got to look that up.)
Another clothing question is why would Edwardo/Franco still be wearing that handkerchief wrapped around his hand.
 

Love the scene as well where FC is on the black horse! I wasn't sure if I was going to really get into this telenovela due to it being in present day (I'm so used to the wonderful historical telies that FC has been in) but I'm enjoying it immensely! I also love the "just barely there" beard he is beginning to sport, however, I have a feeling that he will be going back to the clean shaven look soon.

I haven't read much of the other comments but has anyone noticed that Eduardo's friend Steve (from the states) played Renato in Amor Real? Even with that red hair I picked him up right away - what a riot!

Susan
 

Thanks, Melinama, for your concise and funny recap. My switching back and forth between MEPS and DWTS was not wise so I had to fill in the gaps on YouTube so I definitely needed your recap.

Did anyone feel the need for extra calcium in his/her diet after that inane scene with Pris and her bro. That box of EXTRA CALCIO was in every scene from every angle and you could always read the label. It was a PSA and blatant product placement together. Hilarious.

Damien's tapping his head with the cell phone was funny...he is such a tease. When is Jacinto going to be hospitalized for an anxiety attack. He has more than he can handle from all sides.... poor nice guy in over his head GinCA
 

Great recap Melinama, thanks. I know you took Mondays grudgingly so all the more thanks for doing it. I'm glad the story is moving along a tiny little bit, but I'm ready for Eduardo to put his plan in action. I always want to be about a week farther than where we actually are when watching these shows. I guess that's how they are written.
I'm also looking forward to whenever Gardenia changes her style to be more like Jazmin from La Fea, with all the short skirts and everything. That's going to happen, right? RIGHT? It's hard to see such a hot actress confined to dowdy servant clothes.
 

Melinama, thanks so much for the wonderful recap. I don't realize how much I truly miss of the story until I read these. I think I may take a Spanish course at the community college this summer and see how I like it.

Okay, FC in a black sweater, with a black t-shirt under it (you notice if you look at the neckline) and standing it that field you can still see the abs through the fabric! Holy cow what a man!

How can no one in that house realize that Soledad is gone? Do they visit her across the field once a month? And how can Fer not find out before the wedding? Ugh! This part of the story is bugging me.

I thought the American friend speaking English was odd since FC never responded in kind.

Anibal looks older then step-mommy!
 

Oh! my manners! Thank you Melinama for the recap, and especially the title... How did I miss Sergio tapping his head with the phone? I must watch more closely...
 

Bonney- yes, I take "entre...pared" as back against the wall.
 

Connie, I'm not surprised that your boyfriend laughed at you, but I'm VERY surprised that he's an immigrant, doing that. I practice my Spanish every chance I get, and I've only had three people make me feel uncomfortable. All three were bilingual from birth. All my immigrant friends know how difficult it is to learn another language, and they have always been completely supportive. The children of immigrants, however, never struggled so they can't understand why I can't learn faster. Shame on him! Es un gran falta de respecto!

Bonney, I always think of "entre la espada y la pared" as "between a rock and a hard place."
 

I, too, as trying to catch a little Dancing with the Stars during the Manana commercials. I'm torn between the 2 shows because I love dancing...but Fernando's cinco o'clock shadow wins out over the dancing stars. I wonder what will happen tonight. Will Ed/Franco move into that impressive house?...Will Nanda marry Dumian ? ...Will Baba realize that Gardenia was snooping in her room ? Will Marg find out that Ed is back and Jacinto is trying to help him in his plans for revenge ? Will Ed take a shower and shave , or are we going to get another look at him in the black s w e a t e r ?????????? [ My fav look for Fernando is the long hair, beard, and mustache he had in Alborada. ] I think that they should have a photo of Luis in Alborada in the dictionary under ''masculine.'' I'm a fan.
 

Thanks for the support Paula H. I never make fun of his English and I help him quite a bit. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive.
 

PaulaH- after reading your take of "entre...espalda", that does fit better, thank you. Also, like you, I speak spanish as often as possible, and get lots of laughs. Sometimes it's even by my own design; the rest of the time, I don't care...
 

I know of a woman doctor here trying to learn Spanish and it's the same situation. Her Spanish-speaking boyfriend makes fun of her rather than being supportive.

And the gal who taught the adult Spanish course I took had the same problem. Her boyfriend and then husband (from Peru) mocked her every time she made a little mistake (like saying 'Alli" in stead of "alla" or some such thing) saying "And you say you know Spanish!). Soo....it may be a cultural thing. Hispanic men may be less inclined to be "New Age men" when it comes to being supportive.

But hang in there, Connie. We're all on your side!
 

So have Anibal and Pris been married for seven years?

Yes SusanLyn, he is most wonderful. I generally am way into facial hair, but he has such beautiful bone structure that I would be happy if he shaved. Even more so if we get to watch.
 

Judy B I think you are right about that. Hispanic males are different. I'll keep plugging away.
 

Connie, maybe it is just boys? My son is in his second year of high school Spanish and he always makes fun of his sister or I for mispronounciation when he barely speaks it himself!

I do love that his boss at work told the guys to speak to him only in Spanish to help him learn. They have been telling him really funny things to say and laughing at him. Sucks when the shoe is on the other foot!

Jose got Max to ask Miguel for a kiss the other day! LOL!
 

Great recap as always Melinama. This whole thing over the sour milk made me think of a classic Little Rascal episode where they were warning each other not to drink the milk. Spanky started it I think whispering "Don't drink the milk" and when other kid would ask "Why" he'd replied "because it's spoiled" LOL. Loved watching Eddie riding on the horse. The mud wrestling scene threw me for a loop. I absolutely loved the smile he flashed when he was talking to the lady in the office. Uh oh another assumed identity plot. I'm having Pasion flashbacks LOL. I still think Damian may truly love Nanda despite his affair with Babs and wasn't the ice queen definitely displaying jealousy in the previews when Nanda wanted to show her her wedding dress.
 

That's funny Molly!
 

On the "laughing" discussion...yes, it may just be a male/female thing. I notice my male students are much more likely to tease me and "give me a hard time" than my female students. And since I had a very sarcastic brother, I'm comfortable with that.

But the other day when I told my son I had given up adding salt to my food, he laughed and said "Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts!" And I said, "Hey, I need support, not sarcasm. This is hard for me."

He looked surprised for a moment and then said. "Yeah Mom. Okay. Good for you. Go for it.", and not sarcastically.

So maybe we just need to let them know when we need encouragement rather than mockery.
 

Connie I of course pointed out to Max that is watched with me he would have known what beso was and not fallen for Jose's joke!

JudyB I think you are right. When I point out to my son I am looking for help, not sarcasm, he is pretty good about changing his tone and sometimes even saying sorry. I think sometimes with all of the "reality" TV and such and the crazy things kids see people do just to be "seen" they forget real people have real feelings.
 

My students sometimes laugh at me when I mispronounce a word in Spanish....especially the teen males who have attended a few years in an American high school. They learn those flippant American teen ways very quickly, but having taught in a senior high school, I'm pretty good at stepping on them a little and putting them back in place when they do it to me or another student.
 

Wow, I guess I'm lucky, my husband never makes fun of my Spanish and neither does his family.

Great recap as usual Melinama! Thanks!

"cinco o'clock shadow" ROTF!
 

I feel a good phone smashing coming up! I'm going to have to watch my DA DVD again just to get my "fix." :-} Thanks everybody for all your suggestions today.
 

Pirate Babe- I'm with you that Demian loves Nanda. The wrestling matches with Babs have nothing to do with his feelings for Nanda. She's likey a virgin, right? so he's just getting it somewhere. I don't think that we've seen any dirty dealings involving him, except unwittingly. Of course, we know that his future suegra has other ideas, and he's going to be pulled into the sordid plot.
 

Terrific recap, Melinama! Gardenia has definitely earned points with me after taking down that phone number (and especially after shutting down Lucio's "advances"). LOL! The take on Babs' dress!
======
The only time I get to practice speaking Spanish is with a Peruvian doc I see and he is, luckily enough, dying to have somebody listen to him speak his mother tongue. I feel stupid, too, trying to speak because it's so much easier to listen and understand than to have to think in sentences and actually produce them! Those car cd's of Spanihs lessons work wonders though.
 

Jardinera

I had a few computer programs and car CD's. The program I found that helped the most is a program that has 4 CD's. There are 4-5 dialogues on each one. Each pertaining to somethng different (ie, shopping, banking, going to the movies, art shows, traveling, etc. The book has the dialogue in spanish and english. You can read it first and then listen to it on the car CD player. After reading it, you can understand what is being said on the CD. I can now understand 3 of the 4 CD's with a total of abou 15 dialogues. Also in the book at the end of each chapeter is exercises for that chapter. It is so cool to listen to (for example), two people talking about an art galary and the paintings and their opinions of them, or someone wanting a checking account and asking how to go about it, etc. and actually understand the spanish. If I have probelms with some of the dialogue, I reread it in spanish (the interpretation is also in english). I used to obsess on being able to speak spanish exact and i missed out on the jist of what others were saying and when I answered, it was a strain, because I had to think of the exact translation, which took time. As time progressed, I can speak it, but I have trouble understanding it. With this program, it has done wonders for my comprehension; however, I muwst admit, I do better understanding talk shows, then Novelas. Ret
 

All I can say is I love that they have phones - of all kinds - in this TN!
 

Frankly I'm amazed that immigrant guys are laughing at your English. I've seen it in children of immigrants, and I would expect to see it in immigrants who attended US high school and that dog-eat-dog culture. But outside of those cases...

Hmmm. Thinking about my experiences. My Spaniard friend would have no qualms about laughing at me. He and I go at it hammer and tongs, but in jest. The rest of my native-speaker friends, male and female, are all Mexican, and they would consider it TERRIBLY rude to laugh at my attempts. All came here as adults. I wonder if the rules change when you are novios or married. Or, I wonder if it's some sort of power thing within the relationship. Am I allowed to say that?
 

Me too, Renee! Not just for their smash potential, but also because people can do cool stuff with them, such as calling an ambulance instead of sending the priest into the Rape Forest and Dry Ice Woods on a donkey.

Someone asked if the FELS beanies work for MEPS... I think they at least need to be adjusted. I'm finding MEPS to be goofy in a more typical telenovela kind of way, and not in the same way that FELS was goofy. I like the MEPS kind of goofiness better.

I thought the book Gardenia tore a page out of was an address book, but maybe it was a daily planner like DD said. (It had lots of tabs, was the main thing I noticed.) If it's an address book, it might take longer for Babs to notice a missing page, but probably not much longer, since a missing page is especially noticeable when all the pages are tabbed!

Dammit, Gardenia, why didn't you steal one of the extra pages from the back of the book? (I know, I'm being too critical... at least she got the number!)

I'm a little bummed that Eddy didn't take my alias recommendation of "Ricky McPirateson," but I can't blame him for going with the name on the ID he found. HOWEVER, if I were him, I would have checked that guy out first. If the dude has a checkered past, people might come looking for him, and they might not be in a friendly mood!
 

Julie: That's what I was thinking, too about using that "lost" credit card/id card in the phone booth. I figure it will bite him in the backside before all of this is over.
 

Ret: Might as well just use your novela slang. I do that and it gets me farther than I'd ever have thought. Go figure.
 

jardinera

you mean hang in there with the novela lingo? and I would probably understand anyone?? Right now I am in PA in USA and I have a tutor from NIcaragua on Thursdays from 5-6 on Skype. Awesome talking spanish for an hour face to face. I can understand 3/4 "If" I know what the topic is about first. For her to just start talking, I would get confused. I don't seem to improve on my listening and understanding skills, only my own talking?? Suggestions???? Ret
 

I guess Mr. Harvard MBA doesn't have any experience with identity theft and that's why he sucks at it. GinCA
 

Paula H it is ok to say that. There is a big age difference between us so that could be part of it too. The thing that really made me feel dumb was we were watching TV and he wanted me to repeat something that was said and I did and he said "tu no puedes." It really hurt my feelings.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder