Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gancho Wed 6-24-09 - Just a little red whine and some esquincles

Mau announces he’s going to adopt the ninos. This prompts Sal to need some air.

The kids argue about whether they should stay in their place or go. Aldo the macho in training argues to the two girls that they all should escape but the girls get a good feeling about things and refuse to leave.


Moni in her finest ballerina outfit is reminding Mau what a good thing he is doing because the kids have no one to turn to. She mentions yes, she didn’t have the greatest childhood and did sleep in street once. He is moved and goes for an eyelash that has fallen on her cheek. This closeness is interrupted by Gabi who busts in. Moni runs off saying she has to go help Pau.

Costena Morales shows up at the gym and begs Beto to join him in the ring and they spar.

Xime is in a bar and having a rather weird courting session with Marcos Bonilla. She wants to feel his nose, something I do to all my dates too, and he, like the enamored man he is, obliges. When the check comes, she runs off without leaving money or digits for him. Stooge.

Moni and Pau are talking, Moni forgetting to do something, but she can’t remember what.

At the gym, Beto keeps telling the jefe that Moni will come soon. Beto gets his arse kicked.

Mauri wants to adopt the kids but Sal and Gabi try to talk him out of it. Mauri gets a call that Bernarda is here. She enters that they need to talk, the judge wants to take them because she has no authority.

Gabi and Moni fight about having decorum. Gabi realizes she doesn’t understand then accuses her of jumping on Mau in his office. Moni turns all boxadora on her. Gabi begs for defense from Sal. Mauri pulls Moni to go with him, she‘s still forgetting something though.

Beto is at home yelling that Moni stood him up and he can’t believe she would do this after it was so hard for him to get her this interview. He thinks that it was the Chino’s fault, that he wouldn’t let her off work. He goes to give him a piece of his mind. Nieves begs him not to go.

Mau explains what’s going to happen and then asks her to wait in the car. She agrees and daydreams in the car. She then thinks back to when she and Mau met, and when she told Beto she had to work when he mentioned the meeting. She then remembers she forgot him. Nieves finally answers the phone but Estrella is not there. She tells Moni to call her cell, she has a cell.

Meanwhile, Jackie Chan meets luche libre. Beto is looking for his “monita” in the store but our Chinese storekeeper shows him a “Monito” (a monkey statue). The Chinaman says there is no Monita. Beto doesn’t understand and yells for his girlfriend. He gets love Chinese style instead.Three guys come out to defend the store and do a kung fu style number on Beto. The cashier ladies call the policia.

Mau comes out to find Moni gone.

Moni and Estrella show up at the store only to find the police have arrived and are taking Beto away. They try to talk the cops out of it. Without pesos, that won’t work well.

Chauffeur tells Mau what happened to Moni, and Mau tells the kids, they can be his if they want. What the hell was that repeating explosion noise? Anyone? Aldo tells the kids not to go for it. The girls do, but Aldo wants to talk to Mau alone.

Gabi and Sal chat over the sudden change of Mau and she recites them. Sal thinks she is being a gossip, but she says it’s just that she cares about her buddies, even him and she strokes him very affectionately. He gets nervous. Gabi wants to know how his life is beyond the four walls of work. He grunts and shakes his head. He isn’t revealing anything.

Aldo tells Mau he is concerned about the girls. He’s sixteen and not stupid. He doesn’t want Mau to get bored of them one day and throw them in the lake. Mau swears he completes his promises. Aldo submits and goes for his suitcase. Mau approves of his character.

Jero is telling Marcos he has no money to pay him and tells him to go to hell. Just then Xime comes in and says she is in love. Jero says again? He wants to meet him when he hears about mountains of money.

Nieves and Moni contemplate what happened to Beto. Estrella thinks the Chinese women is very resentful and she even got mad when the man offered Estrella some candy once.

Moni doesn’t want to go with Snow to the station because she is worried about work and so Star offers to go. Snow doesn’t want her though because she thinks if she shows up there with her they will think she is a streetwalker lowlife. She isn’t? Just kidding. She prefers to go alone. Star knows Moni has a guy on the brain.

Meanwhile Beto is heading up the Vegas highlife in jail and apparently winning. The guard comes to let him go. He manages to buy off the guard to tell his Ma he can’t come out, he’s in for something really awful. Guard sees the pesos and complies.

Conni arrives and gets a super sorpresa, the three kiddies have been installed in the house and come out asking questions of Mau and Conni looks like a huge stick was just thrust up her….

Ivan argues with his abue over the arrival of the three kids and points out quite astutely that this will make 3 times the work. Abue says, also quite astutely, that this is Mau’s house and he can do as he pleases. No sh**. Ivan spews more teen angst but wanders off.

Mau sends the kids to THEIR rooms and tells Con he adopted them. Mau argues with Con over not mentioning the kids (whoops) and it gets nasty, she wants her due and feels she hasn’t gotten it in all this time. She thought they would form their own family. She wants to know what her place is. He says his girlfriend his woman. We see that little Danny is spying on them.


The kids love their rooms but Aldo Killjoy keeps telling them to get off their cloud, no one is this lucky. Right on cue Danny runs in saying Mau’s novia doesn’t like them. My reception broke up here, but it looks like Con and Mau keep arguing about the insta-family. No defense of the villainess, but really, if my boyfriend did that to me, I’d be a tad miffed too. Looks like I missed Aldo appreciating his great bedroom, and Con wondering if Mau would have changed his mind for her. He says no. She says fine we’ll forget it for now but they have to go to dinner, they canceled before. He wants to stay with the kids for the first night, but she pitches a hissy, so he agrees to go but to come back early.

Back at the impresa, Moni shows up and gets an earful by Gabi wondering where she was not working. Gabi and Moni fight over who should answer the phone. It’s Mau and he wants Moni to do him a favor. We see her showing up at his door. She comes in and happily greets the kids. He walks up with his chica all dressed up. Awkward moment approaching. Con gets introduced and she makes sure she lurches her breasts forward and proclaims she’s his novia. The first gancho is thrown. Weird smile from Moni.

Conni tells her not to keep him long because they are on their way out. Moni loves the house. Mau tells her he’ll pay her extra to watch the kids, but she’s there because she loves the kids. She wants to use the phone.

Back in the bedroom Conni starts her parade of questions. She thinks the girl isn’t ugly and wants to know what’s her deal. He tells her she’s new. He asks her not to talk about the kids with his cousins.

Moni calls Estre and tells her where she is and learns Estre hasn’t seen Beto. Estre teases her that her boss must be the guy she’s after. She says she’s only there for the kids, he has a girlfriend. She acts like she’s talking to her aunt when they come up. Conni doesn’t like that Moni thinks they have the same taste, because of their earrings. Moni goes to the kid’s room and sees the picture of their Mom. Luisa goes to the kitchen and runs into Ivan. Ruh ro, hormones flow. Aldo cuts them short. Abue too kicks them all out of the kitchen. Aldo has to pull Luisa away. Sheesh.

At dinner Xime, I guess, is drunk. She sort of seemed like instead she had a brain injury. She wants them all to toast to the couple. They reluctantly do so and Conni grabs her arm not liking a toast about a possible wedding and gets a dressful of red wine. She runs to the bathroom. Bro asks cous if the couple is having problems. He says change the subject.

In the bathroom Conni whines about having to throw out the dress and Xime says it’s not so bad, what’s up your keester. Uh oh…Conni spills that Mau has filled the house with orphans.

Back at said orphange, Moni is chatting with Teresa and learns that Mau is a widower, that he was in a race in Europe and got back to find that his wife was in an accident and died. And that’s all we get for tonight.

Labels:


Comments:
Neat recap with the pictures and all! Wow. Thanks, Rosca de Reyes! :D

I have to agree with you. Conni has a terribly unattractive disposition (read: bee-yatch), but if my man suddenly sprang three kids on me the way Maury did her... His heart's in the right place, but I would have hit the ceiling.

Beto battling the Chinese mafia and living La Vida Loca in jail. LOL Hilarious.

That little Danny is something, the cutie. Yeah, Ivan was all mad and such, until he saw Luisa. Ruh-roh indeed.

...that [Maury] was in a race in Europe and got back to find that his wife was in an accident and died. Uh-oh. My spidey-sense is tingling. We all know what happens in NovelaLand when you don't witness your spouse's death first hand. Heh-heh.

Good morning, all.
 

Mi Stephe...glad to know you're an early riser. Yes, aren't Kris' pictures wonderful?! I don't have a DVD recorder but even if I did...doubt I could transfer the pics. People with these technical skills blow me away.

Kris, got a kick out of "turns all boxadora on her". Great word! And "Jackie Chan meets luche libre". Good one.

I continue to find worthless Beto quite charming. His happy card gaming in the jail cell (don't release me yet!) and sending out the guard for sandwiches and some beers for everybody was hilarious. How can you stay mad at this guy?

And I too felt some sympathy for Constanza. Poor thing...she's about to be eclipsed by a younger, prettier woman (which never brings out our best qualities)and even if she doesn't get officially replaced, she now knows her wants and needs count for absolutely nothing in Maury's world (which also doesn't bring out one's best qualities.)

That being said, as Stephe noted, she's a bee-yatch, so we'll just have to sit back and enjoy watching her lose ground week by week.

I wish little Dany had the acting chops of Rocio. Several of her lines were recited in such a wooden fashion, that they lost their punch. That's my only complaint, and Lord, how churlish to criticize a wee one's acting. (Excuse me while I do a little moral rearmament here. Don't want to end up being a bee-yatch like Connie!)
 

Kris, a "picture perfect" and terrific recap. Really enjoyed "love Chinese style" and my favorite: "She wants to feel his nose, something I do to all my dates too, and he, like the enamored man he is, obliges". Simply great.

Agree with you and Stephe that I wouldn't be thrilled if my boyfriend proceeded to adopt 3 children without even telling me. Still, would it have mattered? She would never have wanted them no matter when she was told.

Judy, I like Beto too! He's not perfect but has a fun, hard to resist personality.

Moni is extremely likeable and very charismatic. I'm sure I'll feel that way about more of the characters once I figure out who they are :)

Diana in MA
 

Wonderful pics Kris! Loved the one of the Chinese guys kicking Beto's butt.

The Xime/Marcos pairing is odd, but it could be quite amusing before Marcos and Jero figure out they know each other, each side thinking the other has money.

So, is the adoption complete? If so that's about the fastest adoption in history.

Excellent recap Kris. Thanks for the awesome words and pictures!
 

Thanks for the very funny recap Kris. So far, we all seem to be having a great time with fun, interesting, and already well-drawn characters.

Monita reminds me of a pitbull puppy. She's beautiful with uncommon and as yet unchanneled physical strength and grace, exuberant, affectionate, enthusiastic, energetic, a bit impulsive, a little dangerous, thoroughly delightful. I would love working with her.

Ximena is a joy. She seems to occupy a slightly different universe than the rest of us. I don't think she was intoxicated in the strict sense of the word.

I'm really liking the light-heartedness of this show so far.

Carlos
 

Fuego...in such a hurry to read the recap, I breezed right past the title but that was great also. "Esquincles" sounds like shrimp to me so red wine and shrimp...yummy!

Ximena's "three things...." is going to wear on me after a while. But interesting approach to the role.

My other favorite is Gabriela...sort of a younger version of Bea Arthur (may she rest in peace) in that dry-I'm-in-charge approach). Or who was that schoolteacher in that long ago black and white comedy? ...those of you over 60....anybody?
Ah, now I remember Our Miss Brooks...the gal who played here. Same dry, alto style.
 

Judy, I had a childhood crush on Eve Arden. Do you recall the name of her adoring male student? I haven't thought about this in over 50 yrs. I too, really like Gabi. I predict before this is all over, she and Monita will become fast friends. Either that or murder one another.

Carlos
 

Great title, Kris, fun recap, and of course, the pictures! Thanks.

I liked "Moni in her finest ballerina outfit" and also Snow for Nieves and Star for Estrella.

I like Ximena. She reminds me a little of That Girl (Marlo Thomas).

It was funny how Bernarda approved the adoption, then called back later, the darn judge said she didn't have the authority! What's wrong with those judges mucking up things? Just kidding (sort of).

Carlos, I didn't really know much about Eve Arden, but I had a childhood crush on Edie Adams. Didn't she have a commercial for cigars or cigarettes (way back when they had such commercials on TV!)
 

Carlos,

It was Walter Denton played by Richard Crenna. Yes, Hombre I do remember the Edie Adams commercials, of course, I was very, very, very young. Ha-ha.

I haven't been watching this show, just a minute here and there, but just was checking the recaps to see how the old Tontas gang was reacting to the new show. Hi JudyB!
 

Loved the recap. I was laughing at the scene with the fighting. It made me think of that song "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting." I really like Moni and Maury so far. If I was in Conni's shoes, I would've been a bit perturbed too with the whole instant family thing and the obviously competition for my man LOL.

Pirate Babe aka Racecar Babe
 

Oooh...I'm glad you had a crush on Eve Arden, Carlos. I wouldn't say I had a crush as well, but I thought she was totally cool.

Don't remember Richard Crenna in that role, Violet.... but have always like him and he was hilarious in the remake of Sabrina. Have you seen that one? with Harrison Ford.... Oh my, I've watched that on video about 50 times. Sigh, sigh, sigh...those kisses on the bridge in Paris take me back to happier days....

HOmbre...glad you like Ximena. Somebody has to. I think she's rather gross. And at the risk of being gross myself, I assumed she was checking the size of that fellow's nose as an indicator of size elsewhere....Just sayin'

And with that, I'll stop.
 

Yeah, Judy, it was Richard. I remember seeing this show on Nick at Nite or some channel a few years ago and remembered him from The Real McCoys and when he was on an episode of I Love Lucy. I just looked it up to verify it was him. Also, there was a teacher whom Miss Brooks had the hots for. Maybe you're thinking of him?...
 

I'm having a time learning all the new names, especially since they all seem to have nicknames also - yikes!!

I also like Ximena. She seems like a harmless goof. Hope I don't have to eat those words later.

I feel bad for Connie. Maury probably subscribes to the theory that it's easier to apologize later than to ask permission in advance. Love little Danny - maybe she'll become more comfortable in the role and be less wooden.

Great recaps so far, all y'all. This has the makings to be a fun novela. (hope, hope, hope)
 

Yep, it was the male teacher I was thinking of. Sort of a bland scientist type as I recall. Poor Miss Brooks...as I remember...she never made headway with that guy.
 

I was missing Tontas something fierce, but I'm warming up to this one. Last night was definitely funny, I totally loved the Chinese store scene and Beto's comic relief. Even the interactions between Gabi and Moni were funny. So far everyone acts really well, except for little Dani and Luisa. Rocio she ain't, but she's also much younger. Luisa I think needs more practice as well. Hopefully by the end they will be better.

Thanks all!
 

Hi all,
Big news - Our son and his wonderful girlfriend just got engaged!!!!!! We are sooooo happy!
 

Oh Emilia that is fantastic news!!! Congrats to you, Mike and the family.

I have more good news for you. I have eaten my words enough times regarding telenovelas to assure you that they are calorie free.
 

What is Ximena's deal, anyway? Is she brain-damaged? Or just channeling Drew Barrymore and amping it up?
 

Congratulations to Emilia and Mike!
 

Hi All,
Fabulous and informative recap, Kris. I'm still putting the names to the characters but am loving every minute of it. ----Beto reminds me of my first husband, cute, not too much ambition (Ok so he manages Moni) would rather play his base guitar in a garage band (and is still waiting for 'that one big break' at the age of 47), while I sang backup and HELD DOWN A JOB to support us-LOL. The Kung Fu Fighting scene was hysterical none the less.
 

Hey congrats to son and future daughter in law of Mike and Emilia!! What fun!!
 

Judy and Violet, I'm pretty sure the teacher's name was Mr. Poindexter and itwas indeed Luke McCoy who played the student. Alzheimer's sharpens long term memory even as it kills short term memory. Now, what was I just saying? Congratulations on that news, Emilia and Mike. Carlos
 

Carlos, I just looked it up. The teacher's name was Philip Boynton.

Hey, I saw Loretta Swit this weekend in NYC. She was at the same play as me, Blithe Spirit, with Angela Lansbury. She looked pretty good.

So, former Tontas watchers, is this show going to keep your interest? Should I give it a go?

Yes, Dr. Carlos, why is it that I can remember what I did at age 6 and 10, but not what I did yesterday?!
 

Hombre, concerning your last posting yesterday, Adriana, my lovely profesora would adore you. Every so often she has me read lines over and over until I get them just so(I think she has given up completely on my singing). Apparently there is this rhythm to Spanish involving something called dipthongs with tying words ending in a vowel to the following word beginnng in a vowel...Judy? forming a bit different pronunciation. In any case I think at times she fancies herself to be an 'Enry 'Iggins. Well I really could give a rat's patootie about dipthongs or those things Judy talked about yesterday(sorry Judy), but it's not that often and it seems to make her happy. I much prefer discussing art or literature or even (God help me) grammar. I must admit it has helped me understand Spanish singers, however. Oh yes, I love Ximena. I swear I know her from somewhere. Maybe she reminds me of my daughter. Carlos
 

Great recap Kris. I love how you picked all the great pictures. Judy, I still Like "worthless beto". Thought the scene where the chinese guy takes him to the monkey was hysterical. Not much sympathy with Connie. I think alot of these telenovela novias need to get a Spanish copy of the book "He's just not that into you." Especially after she said I was afraid you would bolt if I brought up the subject of marriage. Duh get a pista. I am not heartless just pragmatic.
Xime is interesting for sure. Its either like shes on too many meds or not enough. Cant quite decide. But I do like her character.
I really am enjoying this TN. Lots of fun characters lots of funny scenes and I think the romance between Maury and monita is going to be hot! Or I sure hope it will be.
PatA
 

Violet, I'm liking this show a lot MORE than Tontas. But I have to admit, I loathed Tontas. Watched it faithfully every night when I was in town, but just flat out hated it.

Loved Fea, liked Juan Querendon and Querida Enemiga but
Tontas...yeeeeccccchhhhh.

This one I'm enjoying so far.

Carlos...you're going to have to explain that remark about Ximena and your daughter. Was that another example of your puckish humor, Doctor?

Emilia and Mike...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! The fun is just beginning. Grandchildren are the absolute best.

Valeena...interesting story. Charming but feckless ex-husband and singing backup! You and Hombre will have to talk...he recorded a song he did for his daughter's wedding and has performed at other venues, I believe. Anyway, the heart and soul of a musician but he holds down a real job as well.

I know, I know...first things first.
 

Hi PatA. I was wondering where you were. You posted while I was writing.

Love your analysis of Ximena...either too many meds or not enough! Maybe we should ask Dr. Carlos what he thinks.

On the subject of "he's just not that into you"....haven't we all been there, though? Well, maybe you were smarter. But when you look at the books on the rack, in addition to the endless number of diet books, there are a slew of How to "make him love you forever and ever", "get him to pop the question", "come back to you after falling in love and having an affair with another woman"...etc.

So...for many of us, we cling to our obsessive infatuations and the idea that WE CAN MAKE IT WORK if we just find the right formula.

In this case, though, I think they'll present Constanza as a heartless golddigger, not really in love with Maury...just his money. That way we won't feel bad where our charmer Mona eclipses her.
 

Judy, didnt mean for that to sound so cruel, and I have been there and hung on to long but luckly got a clue after three years. but maybe its because I really dont like that Connie. I watched the last bit of La fea before I discovered Closed captions, DVRS, You-tube and sites like these and i am pretty sure she was the same woman that played carmin and I didnt like her then!
I think That is why I watched tontas and was so faithful to it cause of Jamie Camil from La fea, and of course I had discovered closed captions, You tube DVRS and this site and understood alot more of what was going on..
I was at work all day that is why I didnt check in till now.
PatA
 

Oh gosh no...I didn't think you were being cruel. And that actress DOES always seem to play nasty types (what a drag it would be to be pegged in that role all the time. oh well...work is work)

She did indeed play Carmen. Always sinister, like the nasty blonde playing Ana Julia in Cuidado.

The actress who played the wicked Paulina in Tontas is usually pegged in bad roles also, and I remember an interview where she said she was so glad to have a "good" role in Heridas, because she was usually evil. Such is life.

Put up your feet now and relax, Pat. Gancho is about to begin!
 

Thanks, all, for the felicitations. Didn't mean to brag but we have been waiting for soooo long.
 

Judy, I'm referring to my daughter when she was a younger woman, mothrhood has morphed her into a clone of my own mom, she of the "cut your switch and it'd better be a good one". As I said before, Ximena inhabits a universe that looks like ours but is ever so slightly different. No drug on board, no meds required. Now enlighten us about dipthongs or at least the importance of trying to speak a language correctly. Maybe if I could roll my Rs. Even the usually patient Adriana admitted one day that I'm hopelessly gringoid in that respect. Carlos
 

Whew Carlos...I'm happy to know your princess is no longer spacey...although I wasn't ready to hear she was a "cut me a switch now, son" type mom either. Does she have all boys?

Well, parenthood is a tough job, no matter how you cut it. Clear rules and clear consequences are probably best in the long run.

As to our show....

Actually I quite like Ximena in tonight's episode. You'll see why when you watch. She completely won me over.

Now dipthongs...don't think I ever mentioned them, mi vida. I DID talk about elisions...but no need to go into that if it disturbs you. Heck...I'll talk about grammar if you wish...or even say I'm on your and Dave's side on Gardenia. But I wasn't about to jump into that hotbed of a discussion sizzling away on MEPS. That 9 pm line can get rough!
 

Hey Emilia...when you're sharing good news with your friends, it's not "bragging". It's giving us an opportunity to feel glad and celebrate with you. And I love it.
 

Judy, I too loved Ximena tonight. Wow, I'm licking my wounds incurred next door. I'm very proud of DDave. He held his own well. Pues, here's MEPS ...later,mi reina. Carlos
 

Ahoy all, sorry to be so quiet today but work has been kicking my butt lately. Tontas doesn't start here for another half hour or so. I'm looking forward to what Ximena is up to. She really quite beautiful. Judy you described her perfectly as sloe-eyed; I haven't heard that in a long while. OK, off to whip up some dinner and then hunker down for my first recap. Chao!
 

Congrats, Emilia! Terrific news, indeed.

This thread has been a blast, especially the revisiting of older shows and actors I haven't seen since I was a kid. Really cool.

Keep up the great conversation, all. :)

(And I'm kind of digging the "Racecar Babe" name. Cute!)
 

Stephe...you did hysterical things with your name on Cuidado so I'm expecting some really funny stuff over here too, even if we don't have a wretched Estefania in this one.

(I miss her by the way.)
 

LOL, JudyB!

I just couldn't believe such a horrible heifer would have my name. :)
 

Carlos, mi rey, can't quite imagine you licking your wounds. You and DDave held up your end very well in the fracas (and probably loved every minute of it).

However, I have a feeling the subject is NOT going to go away. Although Julie and Susanlynn did a rather nice job of defusing it, I thought.
 

Judy, at least no one dies f I say the wrong thing or make the wrong decision here. I do regret putting Susanlynn in a uncomforable position. I truly did not know that carpe mañana is offensive. Adriana is very liberal and very sensitive to latino concerns...what am I saying? She embodies the latino perspective. She does however have a sly, wry, and now I guess I should add mischievious (wicked?...nah) sense of humor. We've attended events in her home where Linda and I are the only gringos. Well, live and learn. Have a great evening. Carlos
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder