Monday, June 22, 2009

Gancho, Mon., June 22: When the cat's away the mice will play!

Hey y’all, s’up? Another novela, another opportunity to meet estranged family members and laugh, scream at the TV, and gnaw our arms off as we follow our loveable-loser friends south of the border.

Our Mayan ancestors predicted the end of days on 12.21.12. Please, we beg you, come spend money in Mexico and view the Mayan ruins, spend money on our trinkets, and boost our burnt-out economy. When you’re done, watch “Un Gancho al Corazon:” it’s special because its not a painfully regurgitated mess of something that our predecessors invented fifteen years ago.

This is the story of Valentina—Val—who is a seemingly innocent hot little number by day and a spunky pink Rocky-wannabe by night. If nothing else, this show has taken typical Mexican gender roles and expectations and thrown them out the window. Every boxer has a motivation, and Val’s is to fight to pay for her wedding and keep her coach/boyfriend in the lap of luxury. “But my arm hurts.” “Get back in there and suck it up ya sissy.” Some people get the short straw and some people get all the breaks…

Mauricio—Maury—is the rich businessman of the show, and therefore lover of the female protagonist, and secretly arrives via private jet. He hugs Salvador, his business partner, who begs him not to drive fast. Everyone knows that Italian loafers make for a heavy foot…

Maury’s cousin and friend are the bad guys of the show who are involved in unauthorized business dealings on account of Maury having been in New York. While the cat’s away the mice will play! We know they’re bad because they grope all the office secretaries and drink Tequila early in the morning.

Back at the boxing event Val throws some punches and receives a few more. Sometimes you’re up, sometimes you’re down—it all adds to the dramatic effect. Eventually Val takes the final fall and the other chick wins the cash and the trip to Reno. Instead of kind words of encouragement after a tough loss, Val’s coach/boyfriend chews her out and then she goes to tell the lady with the monkey on her head (his mother) that he’s being mean to her.

Maury is clever and already suspects that his cousin is up to something and discusses the matter with Sal who is holding on for dear life. If we learned anything from the Bush/Cheney era it’s “Stay the path” says Maury as he goes left to center to face an oncoming semi. “I need that rush.”

Again, Beto (the coach/boyfriend) is chewing out Val for not using her right arm. She says it hurt a lot and then she punches him with her right arm. Enter eccentric, naïve mother who has the fashion sense of a fourth grader. Help is on the way and it’s just another day for another average Mexican family.

Back at Maury’s business Bonilla (the bad guy, but not related) is meeting with some realtors to seal the unauthorized deal. He just about shit’s himself when Maury and Sal unexpectedly break up the party and cancel the deal. So much for being in New York. I hate it when that happens.

Meanwhile Mommy is tending to Val’s wounds and Beto is still mad. So Val quits boxing and fires her manager/boyfriend.

Bonilla is stupid enough to admit to having a 15% cut in the real estate deal that went bad. Needless to say he’s fired and Sal is going to write his resignation for him.

As we find out, Beto is an ass who does nothing while Val works to support him and his mother. Now that the doctor told her she has to rest her arm for three months, he wants her to get another job so they can have beans and tortillas and throw back a few beers while watching the game. She can’t iron or cook, so she’ll have to sell chicle on the side of the road, or else work the streets like their neighbor. At least this way she might be on TV.

Jeronimo is Maury’s cousin who authorized the transaction, but “never knew that Maury wasn’t in on the deal.” Well, Jerry, when your cousin/boss has no knowledge of a “deal” it’s safe to say he hasn’t authorized it. But, Maury is an idealist and refuses to see things the way they are. “We just thought you wanted to be alone in New York.” “Well, let’s ask Bonilla about it,” suggests Sal. No need, I believe my cousin with my whole big heart. In walks the evil girlfriend with all the shopping bags and tight clothes. Why did she have to find out that her boyfriend was in town from his secretary of all people? Because he doesn’t really care about their empty relationship and is only interested in the sex.

Bonilla and Jerry get in the car and argue about who should have taken the fall. Bonilla threatens to tell Maury about what Jerry did, but then Jerry kicks him out of the car because he’s the powerful one.

It’s a relationship marked by sexual frustration and downright disgust. Little Val forgot her 8 year anniversary with Beto and explains that she hasn’t been in the mood for all these years because she’s been beat up so much lately. “Working the local boxing rings to keep you in hair gel and shell necklaces has taken its toll on me.” She doesn’t really care if he gets fat because she can use it as a pillow. She tells him this, but deep down she can’t get over the fact that she wasted 8 years of her life on this loser. Could you?

Sal tells Maury to find a new chick because Constanza is just not cutting it. So, in a work of cinematographic excellence, Maury and Val ask themselves at the same time “where is my other half?” Well they couldn’t possibly be on the same screen asking the same thing could they?

As it turns out Val is like Mama’s daughter she never had. This time next week Val will be training and running around like she used to. Val’s neighbor Paula works for Maury’s business and heard that they want to hire secretaries tomorrow so Val, who has no secretarial experience, will go for the job. You have to start somewhere…

Maury gets the whole welcoming wagon when he returns home. He wants to go to the bedroom with Connie before and after dinner. After having sex, Maury dreams that he fell asleep at the wheel of a burning racecar and some woman in a red dress pulls him out. Freud would tell us that this is his mother who abandoned him at a tender age. However, some of the greatest psychoanalysts were racecar mechanics. Maury’ mechanic interprets his dream to mean that he needs to return to the race track to relive his dream of becoming a famous racecar driver. This explains why Maury always wants to exceed the speed limit on local thoroughfares.

Even though she knew she needed a dress last night, Val waited until the morning of her interview to find a dress. Karla, the maid from Guapos lends her a dress in which she hardly feels comfortable. It’s more suitable for a karaoke bar, and she would certainly prefer to wear boxing shorts and a tank top, but this is a fancy work place and the beginning of a new life, so why not go all out.

Meanwhile, Maury takes the car out for a spin around the old racecar track. Maury is one of those hopeless romantic types who prefers to see the good in everyone. Sal, an experienced and trusted friend, warns Maury that Cousin Jerry is up to no good, but Maury insists that he is his only family member and therefore he will not question him.

So there’s this school where the roof fell in on the cafeteria. Then a social worker shows up and tells the one lady that a family wants to take little Daniela.

Val is practicing what she’s going to say in her interview and then Maury sees her. It is love at first sight as they both circle each other in amazement. Then Val goes to hide behind a pillar like a small child. Maury likes that in a woman.

Val is not pretty butch, she can’t walk in heels, and has some pretty crass mannerisms. It takes her every effort to walk in heels, but she’s not about to loose her sense of pride.

After about thirty more-qualified women pass through the interviews, the mean office manager refuses to see Val because she “doesn’t fit the profile of a professional secretary.” She’s dressed for a table dance or street walker, but not a secretary. Hearing this sets Val off onto a rampage and she attacks the manager until the security officers take her out to the street. She sits in the rain until Maury comes to her rescue. She explains that she is not a common street dweller and that she is simply brutish at times. She is bluntly honest and Maury loves that. “She smiled and the rain stopped.”

Tomorrow: Maury tells Val to go talk to Sal—“tell ‘em Ricardo sent you.” Who’s Ricardo?

Labels:


Comments:
A new TN and the Nickster is back and in fine form! Thanks for the recap Nick. First Cap and this looks to be promising, especially with you and the other recappers to pick us up with things do slow down. :)

JeffMN
 

Welcome back, Nick! Good work!
 

Welcome back Nick and thanks for the recap!
 

Sometimes these shows are just irresistable; only in a TN could a secretarial candidate physically attack her future employer and then get offered a job by the owner in the same day. I'll say one thing for Valentina, she may be "brutish" but she has taken flirting to a new level.

Thanks Nick, it's great to have you back! You've really started us off on the right foot.
 

First, let me just echo what Cuidado's Julia said the other day....Nickster's back? Yaaaaaaay......

Loved "Italian loafers make for a heavy foot" and "fashion sense of a fourth grader"...although I do love the actress, Ana Martin, and the character she's playing.

Totally did not recognize our skanky maid from Guapos. Knew the redhead looked familiar but she was smiling so much, I never made the connection with the chronic grouch.

Looks like we have another sweet but feisty orphan destined to marry the rich (but puzzlingly stupid) prince. No matter. New cast, new beginning....I'm on board.

You younger ladies can have the galan; I've got my eye on his silver fox friend and counselor. Particularly attractive in his shades.

And I like our heroine. Very appealing. Haven't seen her before. A relief after months of Candy's enormous set of teeth and smug "I can fix all your problems, mujer" attitude.

Color me happy and glad to have you back Nickster!
 

Yes, definitey glad to have you back, Nick. Your synopsis was great. I missed a lot of the program and now have a general idea of what's going on and what will probably happen here.

Seems like the writers are working the Henry Higgins/Eliza Doolittle theme again (See Manana). Let me guess - the handsome driver is going to rescue the brutish boxer and turn another pig's ear into a silk purse.
 

Tontas was the first spanish novela I watched with any conviction and watched the whole thing. My Spanish is iffy at its best and terrifying at its worst. Half way through Tontas I discovered this site and it was very helpful. A couple of times I tried to post a comment but could never firgure out how to send it so was content to just sit in the background and read every one elses comments. Last night after watching this first episode I waited anxiously for the recap and now am determined to be a part of this community of responders and faithful followers in one of the best ways to learn spanish. Enjoyed the show, got a little lost but the recap realy helped . Here's hoping I figured out how to post.
PatA
 

Nickster, I'm glad to see you back and getting this new show off to such a good start. I knew you were coming back but wasn't aware that you would be kicking this off, however I recognized your unmistakable style by the third sentence.

I really need to spend more time with my reading, but hey, what's another hr. a day here or there? I'll just stay up later.

I love boxing, hate what it does to people. My dad and I would always watch the Wed, night fights together. For a very short time I even wanted to be a boxer. I had a pathology prof whose hobby was boxing(studying not doing) who collected boxers' brains(I guess he was very persuasive). It is not pretty what happens to even the best boxers' brains. He was very conflicted, he loved the sport but thought it should be banned.

Carlos
 

Nickster, you just didn't return, you exploded back onto the scene. What a way to begin - simply graat. As you predicted, I'm sure we'll be "screaming at the TV" and "gnawing our arms off" at one point or another during the "painfully regurgitated mess" of this journey. :)

I have a very hard time when these begin as it takes me several weeks to identify the characters by the proper name and sort out the character's relationships.

The first meeting of the leads seemed to generate some chemistry. Looking forward to more.

Diana in MA
 

Welcome PatA! I'm so glad you finally figured out how to post your comments and that you've decided to join in the conversation. The recaps are very helpful, especially when some of the characters talk at warp speed. I notice our new heroine is one of those.

Carlos, I enjoy your comments about boxing. Your unique perspective always adds an interesting twist to things. Your prof collected brains? I'm not sure why but all of a sudden a scene from Young Frankenstein popped into my head. ("Abby Normal...I'm almost sure that was the name.") Sorry folks that was in poor taste.

Diana I agree, the first couple of weeks are difficult as we try to sort out the characters, struggle to understand new accents and dialects and comprehend new vocabulary having to do with the current themes. I remember at the beginning of Tontas we couldn't tell many of the women apart.
 

Sylvia, as macabre as it sounds the shelves in his office were filled with jar upon jar, each containing a preserved brain and each prominently labeled with the previous owner's name, a few ,even, that I had watched with Dad on Wed. nights so long ago.

Carlos
 

PatA, forgive my manners. Welcome and happy you are here. This is a great site. The recappers are fabulous and the comments are witty and always great fun. The discussions are always lively and while we may at times agree to disagree, this is a great and welcoming community.

Diana in MA
 

Yes, what a great confluence of events. Our Nick is back and in fine style, and PatA has figured out how to post a comment. Welcome and then some!

I remember I had great trepidation signing up for a blogger name and just kept going on "anonymous" plus signing my name for a long time. It's been great to learn some rudimentary computer skills as well as working on the Spanish.
 

By george I think I got it. Yahoo I posted!!! thanks alll for the great welcome, now just try and keep me away.
PatA
 

Great recap, Nick! I always enjoyed your recaps on FELS, and wondered if the silliness of that show made it easier to have wild recaps. Now I see it's the recap author - you make everything funny through your unrestrained perspective. Excellent!

I'm guessing "Ricardo" is some code word so Salvador will know that Mauricio recommended Val. Maury didn't want our Monita to know he was the owner of the company.

I heard there were going to be three "kids", but I pictured 3 little ones, not one little one and two big ones. We'll have to see what happens with them.

And of course we just saw the actor playing Jeronimo as Mario in Tontas. He's definitely good at being bad.
 

Hi All,

Like PatA, Tontas was my first TN. I enjoyed it immensely and even repainted my kitchen similar to the "House of Color", Casa de Meño LOL. My Spanish is scary to say the least, but my husband, who hails from Durango,MX to helped me through a scene or two before reading the WONDERFUL recaps the next day. I will be tuning in every evening to Gaucho,and who knows, to help my stress sometimes, perhaps I'll take up boxing-LOL
 

Welcome Pat and Valeena. As JudyB said, the recappers are great as are those who post. You will learn so much and have even more fun.
 

Wow...two new voices on the recap lines...PatA and Valeena. This will be fun.
* * *

Carlos, my dad did a little boxing in college, but he was 6'1" and only weighted about 145 pounds so he said they could knock him over without even punching hard. Good thing, since he seemed to hang on to all his brains.
 

Forgot to add....good title, Nickster.
 

Valeena, welcome! It took me months of reading before I got the nerve to post. But, once I did, I continued and I'm still here. Hope you enjoy this as much as I have. Diana in MA
 

When I passed my Spanish oral exam a few weeks ago, I thought I had finally "arrived" to being fluent. As I watched this new show last night, I wanted to cry. What the heck?!! I hardly understood a word!I thought it was just me "not getting" the show last night! It's nice to hear I'm not alone and that others are struggling with the rapid-fire speaking and new accents. I've noticed when people are angry they speak fast--and everyone was angry last night!!!! Mario/Jeronimo is the only one I even half-way understood--probably since I'm used to him from Tontas.
Then I watched Cristina and had the same problem--and they weren't even angry! Talk shows, news broadcasts, and angry characters make for some fast talk! Give me some heartfelt conversation and I'm "fluent"!

I'm looking forward to new vocabulary and themes, and thank goodness for the recaps to get me through them!

I love the wit and wisdom in the recaps and the rest of you are the greatest with your comments and insights!
 

Pat,Valeena, welcome. Deb, don't forget the CCs. They really help, especially at the beginning of a new show with different characters, different writers, different situations, and even different vocabularies.

Carlos
 

Hey Nick, glad to see you back with us. So after watching the opening, I think I'm going to stick with this show.

Pirate Babe thinking of a more suitable name for this show.
 

Great recap, Nick! Your snark quotient is WAY up there.

I don't think I'll be watching this one as I'm already watching Mañana es Para Siempre and Más Sabe El Diablo (Telemundo).

The reason I'm commenting is that I'm happy to see that Televisa is now having Telemundo actors in their TNs. My co-worker from Mexico has commented on the same thing. Televisa (Univisión in the US) used to blackball anyone who did a Telemundo novela. Danna García was in La Tracicón and Pasión de Gavilanes (the one Fuego en la Sangre was copied from), both on Telemundo and now she has the lead role in Gancho.

Also Arturo Peniche and Victoria Ruffo were last seen on Telemundo in Victoria, but it looks like Televisa has let them come back to do Nombre del Amor.
 

This novela is my guilty pleasure, it's just crazy and fun, I don't care that much for the main love story, Valentina and Mauricio are ok, but the rest of the cast is so good with the commedy and it makes me laugh out loud, that's the best part. I do wonder if the comedy they use here will be as succesful for an english speaking audience though.

It took me a while to figure out who is the skanky maid from Guapos, you mean the girl who plays Estrella, Margarita Magaña, I had completely forgotten she was in that novela for some reason.

Jarocha
 

Hey all! Sorry this is so late, but I was gone all day. It's great to have all my friends back and to have met some new ones! Warm welcome to Jeff, Pat, Valeena, Deb, Pirate Babe, Jarocha: and thank you Karen, Sylvia, Pasofino, Carlos, Hombre, novelera, and of course Aunt Judy for your continued support and presence (sorry if I forgot anyone)!!!
 

I have been a completely absent recapper these last few weeks with a huge work project and immediately following out of town guests at my home for a week so I have not been around much at all. But lo, how lucky to find myself co-capping this new one with the original snarnickster. I think we'll have a fun ride! Bring on the ganchos!
 

Hey Rosca! Good to see you on here. As co-cappers, are we alternating Mondays?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder