Friday, June 19, 2009

Tontas June 19, '09 Part I Gran Finale "It Was A Dark And Stormy Night"...

Yes, it was a dark and stormy night in Guadalajara and a number of tormented, twisted souls continued to suffer and cause suffering. Some begged forgiveness and eventually gained it. Others continued their wicked, dastardly deeds and paid dearly for it. Amidst the thunder and lightning, there were a few glimmers of hope, love and the promise of smouldering passion.

Okay, let's drop the purple prose and do a brief rundown of the first hour of the Gran Finale 'cause I'm ready to tuck this baby in. Aren't you?

First, the rehash: Charlie screens his video with Lucia by his side. It's so well-received, he's offered a beca (grant , stipend) to continue his work on this subject in Germany. Will our two lovebirds be separated, just now when they've refound each other? And our favorite narcissist Candy is musing with Santiago that her sister hurt HER very much....oh and also you, Santiago, but nevertheless SHE(Candy) feels bad...but her mother will feel even worse that Alicia is going to be arrested. Run Santi, run!

Now the new: The cops arrive at Meño's house with a warrant for Alicia's arrest. While they're downstairs, Alicia is getting the final cruel brushoff from Mario who refuses to give her even a dime for a ticket back to New York. Upon learning that the police are at the door, Alicia completely regresses to the state of a young child, wants to hide under the covers and have mommy save her... but to no avail. Gogo tearfully drags her downstairs and off Alicia goes to the hoosegow, wailing "Get me a lawyer!" as she departs.

Another annoying encounter between Candy and Santiago. She's still mewling about feeling bad for Alicia (shouldn't she feel bad for the months of Santiago's suffering!) and then they mutually kvetch about who ended their relationship. Neither will admit fault and she continues the pity party after he leaves. "Not even he understands," she whines. (Okay, you know I loathe the character of Candy. Just don't expect me to be fair or objective, alright. She gives me hives.)

Patricio, on the other hand, is admitting to Raul and Soledad that even though he misses Patito terribly, no one should have to suffer like Santiago did for the loss of his son. Raúl admits to conflicted feelings. Guilt that his sister could do such a thing. But happy that the baby has at last been reunited with Santiago. And hopeful that Marissa has now found a peace in the afterlife that she was never able to achieve here on earth.

Off they go with Beto, while Chava curls up with Patricio and promises that he and his brother will never leave him....in fact they'll come visit everyday!

A brief foreboding scene with Rocio and Paulina. The latter is miffed because she wasn't informed of Patito's return....after all it's thanks to her that Alicia was located and the true identity of the baby revealed. She weasels her way into the bedroom and keeps agitating to hold the little guy in spite of the fact that he's peacefully sleeping. We KNOW this doesn't bode well.

Meanwhile, plans are afoot for a fabulous fiesta celebrating Charlie's departure for Germany. And Lucia thinks she's going to go with him. Santiago, contentedly rocking his son and promising to care for him 24/7, 365 days a year surfaces long enough to put his fatherly foot down and say No way! Maybe when you're 18 but not now, little lady. He reminds her that he's the one who pays for the house, the food, and her clothing-- so no unilateral decisions on her part! We'll talk again in a year, he promises....when you're of age.

Alright, we break for some AARP Passion Time... the last PSA for old-folks-can-feel-it-too.

Arturo's trying to persuade Gregoria to quit grieving Alicia's arrest and think of herself, her own happiness and come and live with him, Prince Arturo! She confesses she's fallen in love with him but can't follow through. He's done too many bad things. (think Mafia, money-laundering and bribing a judge to give custody of Chava to Patricio) That's over and done with, he protests...and besides I did it with good intentions. Nope, nope, nope....the past can 't be erased like that. I can't trust you. We'll be separate forever. Sad cello music plays. (But honestly, I don't think any of us were rooting for that romance, were we?) Just then the TV magically comes on and our aged lovers learn that one of Arturo's buildings has collapsed and the poor residents are homeless. How wise that you've rejected me, muses Arturo. I'm paying for my old mistakes...but I'll always go on loving you. And I adore you, cries Gregoria. A passionate (but mercifully brief )kiss and that's it for Arturo and Gregoria. One story line down and a bunch more to go.

Charlie's at the restaurant, informing Meño of his Germany plans and lamenting that Santiago won't let Lucia go with him. Dad explains that adults simply don't want their children to make costly mistakes and presto! Charlie understands and all is well. (our last miraculous 20-second relationship cure)

Another estupida Santiago/Candy encounter. It's still about Candy and how she feels bad seeing Alicia in jail (She went to see her earlier. Alicia thought she came to gloat. No but Candy did tell her no bail. The charges are too serious. So much for sisterly comfort.) Yes, Alicia and I are very different but when we were younger, the three of us (remember there was a sister who died) had such fun playing together, Candy adds. Santiago, taking a positive tack, says I can't believe that the two of you, raised under the same roof (techo) by the same parents are so different. One could commit this atrocity while you....... Candy looks hopeful.... Surely he's going to tell her how marvelous she is! Surely! But alas, he stops and adds, I won't bother you anymore and off he goes. She's disappointed. Another opportunity to be adored just got wasted.

Night falls. With a vengeance. All kinds of wicked dastardly things are going to happen while rain lashes, thunder rolls and lightning blazes across the sky. Are you ready?

Arturo has left Meño's place and is now at Patricio's. The latter and Margarita are double-teaming old dad, telling him what a dreadful old reprobate he is. No forgiveness for you Pops! not until you make good on those wretched buildings. You've got a lot of money. Fix them up so people can live in them, even if it takes your last centavo, insists Pato. Arturo looks shocked at the idea. But Patricio wastes no time. He calls the sexy lawyer, Irene, asks her to come over and Dad caves. I'll do what you ask, he concedes. Perfect.

Meanwhile, a more tender father/son conversation is going on between little Santi and big Santi. Papa informs bébé that he was dying to tell Candy how marvelous she is (Candy was dying to hear those words also) but he didn't. Suddenly the lights go out. Then they come back on. But we KNOW something bad is going to happen. It's foreshadowing out the wazoo.

Now we're at the ruined building. Angry frantic people pulling their belongings out. Arturo promising to take them to comfortable lodgings until the building can be repaired. Policemen coming to arrest Arturo but waved off by sexy Irene because they don't have an arrest warrant. She smiles and purses her lips. Ay yi yi....Patricio...good things are comin' baby. Just hang in there.

Plans continue for Charlie's going away party and the whole gang (think whole cast) will be there. Santiago doesn't want to leave the baby and doesn't want to see Candy but Isabella insists that he can put his son in Tina and Donato's care for 30 minutes at least!...and besides, Lucia wants him there.

Well, I said everyone was going to be there, but it turns out two of them, Patricio and Irene (now in a sexy off the shoulder black top) are having a quiet dinner together. He's thanking her for coming out on a rainy night when she could have stayed in bed, watching a movie and eating a pizza. She opines that rainy nights are romantic and she did it all for him. Whoops. Too fast there, sister. Patricio quickly adds that romantic nights scare him. And goes on to tell how Candy was the great love of his life, perfect in every way (NOT! sez I) and how he's been unable to forget her. Clever lawyer babe counters by saying it's wrong to try and forget people. Rather one should learn to live with one's memories and then move on. Ah, but he could never fall in love again, he protests. That's because you don't want to, she replies. The lights go out. Then they come back on. Symbolic of a new beginning and a new dawn? You betcha. They clink glasses, lock eyes and toast each other with "Salud".

Bueno. One relationship ended (Gregoria and Arturo). Another beginning (Patricio and Irene).
In the meantime Charlie's party is going full swing and Santiago and Candy are looking like they might get together, when bloodsucking leech Paulina inserts herself between the two and latches onto Santi. He swats her off like the unwanted pest she is and lo, another vengeance plot is hatched. Paulina, echoing Marissa's words, vows to make him pay for what he did to her.

The lights are going out again at the house where Tina and Donato are hovering over the adorable baby. Tina sends Donato off for a bottle while she keeps vigil. But lightning strikes and he's scared. So he drags her with him (the baby will be alright for a moment, he protests) and right then Paulina, dressed in black like a cat burglar, swoops in and carries off baby Santi.

Meanwhile, the Charlie party continues full swing. Lots of sweet kisses between him and Lucia while the Mariachis play and everybody goes whoo-hoo. The dancing begins and Candy and Santiago, at opposite ends of the table, look at each other. She's running her finger around the lip of her glass (An unconscious gesture I know can drive men wild. Don't ask.) and he beckons her to come to him. She refuses. He indicates he's willing to come halfway. He asks about her sister. She's playing the same tune. ME duele mucho (I'M very upset).

And while we'd love to natter on about Candy's feelings.... wah wah wah.... feelings....We're far too upset because Paulina is heading off to God knows where with Santi's baby!!!!

And that's it for the first part.

Vocabulario:

beca = scholarship, grant
arrugarse = (lit. to wrinkle up, to get wrinkled) but means to put up with something, accept something. This verb came up when Santiago was having a little one-sided chat with his infant son.
en balde = in vain
darse su taco = I'm guessing on this one. Candy is musing that with men "se da su taco" and I'm thinking it means "give him his way" or "have to get their way", but I could be wrong. Native speakers or wiser folks....correction? Yes! Here's the correction, thanks to Hombre. darse su taco, or darse mucho taco means "he really thinks he's 'it'"


Dicho of the Day:

Matrimonio y mortaja, del cielo baja. (Literally, marriage and the shroud come from heaven.)
Marriage and death happen when God decides it's time; one has nothing to do with the decision.

Well, Marissa has fallen to her death. Not in her plans I'm sure. But will Candy and Santiago make it to the altar? Stick around for Hombre's recap and find out what the good Lord decides.

Labels:


Comments:
Hi Deb and Violet...saw your comments on Sylvia's line after I posted my Part I recap.

So sorry you're way out in Washington state Deb. I lived somewhere out there when I was 4 years old (after Oklahoma) but it's a bit far for you to instruct my North Carolina grandchildren.

Violet..."fuera dolor" means "Away with pain, vamoose pain!. And I say "Fuera Tontas"! We've wrapped it up now. There were some grisly moments in the finale but that comes in Hombre's part.
 

Thanks Judy for telling me the meaning of fuera dolor and for the quick recap. I don't know if I will watch the next show, but I will read the posts every day. I'm sure you will still be a recapper. Off to pack for a few days in the Big Apple. Thanks!
 

Thanks for the recap Judy. Wow, two in one week. You are quite a trooper! Will you be recapping the next novela? If so, I hope for your sake (and the other recappers) the heroine will be better (first Paulina and now Candy).
 

Judy, well of course you've outdone yourself. Excellent. It's late so I'll mention my favorite, "foreboding out the wazoo". My darling, what have we done to you? Carlos
 

Thank you, Judy. Great job. Two recaps in one week! And on this delightful novela. That really is above and beyond!

Yes, I am quite ready to tuck this one in. As I said before, it just really fell apart after the interrupted wedding.

I know this is from the second half, but I gotta' say, I laughed out loud when Pau went down the elevator shaft. Not schadenfreude (glee over another's suffering), but silly novela villian endings.

Judy, you mentioned the hoosegow. Did you know that comes from Spanish?
"Spanish juzgado. Tribunal, courtroom, from past participle of juzgar, to judge." I think it came into English as a result of the occupying US troops after the Spanish-American war. (In the Philipines? I'm not sure.) US troops? Getting drunk and thrown into jail? No puede ser!

So Santi refuses to hire anyone to care for his son, because he's going to take care of him, 24x7. Hmm, that would not fill me with confidence in my plastic surgeon. Nurse! Scalpel. Sponge. Binky.

Well, our beloved Judy got me started on a rant-fest, and we may have a fair share of ranting when Hombre posts the second half. So meanwhile, let's post the things that we loved about this show. Judy, you don't have to go first.
 

P.S. Who in heaven's name goes to his ex-wife's wedding??? We know Pau want to Marissa's wedding, but Pau is nuts. But Pat? Geesh!
 

Oops, I accidentally repeated Judy's "Fuera dolor" translation for Violet back on yesterday's comments. Whew, I'm glad we said the same thing.

Uh oh, I took a peek at the comments and realize I had better watch part two before I go any further...
 

Hi everybody, I bailed on this show months ago because while I loved Santiago of course, I loathed Candy so intensely that I just couldn't stand to watch. But you all soldiered on and did a fabulous job. Kudos to all.
 

Thank you so much Judy for this great recap and all the past ones! I've really enjoyed your great sense of humor!

Looks like Pau will be true to her evil self to the bitter end.
Good for Santi for telling Luc, no Germany until you are older.
I'm glad to see Art reformed. Double glad he an Gogo are split.
I didn't even like their kiss. He was too creepy for my taste.

I'm having super big computer problems this weekend so if I don't get to comment again, thanks so much to you too Hombre!
Your recaps have been most interesting and full of details that I've enjoyed very much.

Carrie L.
 

Melinama...glad to know you bailed because you loathed Candy intensely. I kept thinking it was a character defect on my part but ugh, ugh and double-ugh...she was just totally unlikeable.

Paula, love the Nurse. Scalpel. Sponge. Binky.

And of course, within minutes of saying that, he DID leave the baby in Tina and Donato's care ('cause his mommy asked him to...mothers "rule" in Mexico, I guess) setting up the babynapping.
 

Karen, I think we WILL like the next heroine. Unless we decide she's too sweet and vapid. But I'm inclined to be tender-hearted with those folks; Candy's self-righteous narcissism pushed ALL my buttons though. (which probably means I need to do my own inventory and recognize what traits I have in common with that character.)

Carlos, mi vida, I think "wazoo" is one of the greatest words in the English language. Don't know why, but it cracks me up every time. And sometimes I really need to make myself laugh!
 

AND NOW...PER PAULA'S REQUEST...WHAT DID I LIKE ABOUT THE NOVELA.

Okay, I liked that they wrapped it up quickly.

I liked that Arturo found a concrete (no pun intended) way to make amends for his past sins and went beyond just the whiney "perdoname, perdoname" that we hear over and over in telenovelas.

I liked the child actors. They did a great job at being endearing, when the script called for it; and did a great job at being obnoxious, when that was the direction to take.

I LOVED THE BABY. As someone pointed out, when he reached up his little fist and stroked sad Patricio's cheek....what a moment! Awesome baby.

I liked the color scheme of Meño's house.

I liked Charlie and Lucia's romance.

I liked Lulu's belting out the song A. Guzman style even though someone said she sang "flat". Didn't hear that and just loved her rendition.

Loved Chayo and Lalo's interactions. They played well off each other and I was rooting for them to the end, along with mi alma gemela Carlos, and hooray! they made it. The War of the Roses is one of my favorite movies and I enjoyed the reenactment they did, even though, in general, I don't like seeing crockery broken. Still, it's a vivid way to show how crazy-making marital conflict can be. Been there, done that.

And that's it. Other than that it gave me a chance to hang out with you all and I love that most of all.

Loved the shots of Guadalajara. Don't know the city and enjoyed every one of those pictures.
 

Judy, well you certainly made me laugh, all the way through your recap. I was glad to see at least an acknowledgement of the slippery silver reptile's crimes. I don't think he's redeemed however, just sorry he was exposed. I wanted some jail time for the old bastard. Only the persistence of Irene got her and Pato together. I winced big time when he looked into her beautiful brown eyes and once more launched into.the "she was the love of my life, ever since we were children...blah, blah, blah... " I would have been shouting,"check please!" And since she's a lawyer, bill him for time wasted. Carlos
 

Judy, fantastic recap as usual, very funny, great comments, and I can't believe we had two of the same vocab phrases! I did my recap before reading yours. Oh well. We both had en balde, and we both also got darse su taco, which I finally found in the Oxford Dictionary, where it says darse taco or se da mucho taco means "he really thinks he's it". I guess figuratively giving yourself a taco is like awarding yourself a prize.

I may be a softy, but I didn't dislike Candy as much as some of us. I still think she provides much more of a spark to Santiago than did Paulina (too clingy) or Marissa (too daffy and "low class", or vulgar). I really could see Santiago going crazy for her, although he really has to be very confident of himself (he is) to keep up with her.
 

Good morning Judy. I liked your list of "Likes". One thing I noticed last night, I really like the way Arturo enunciates. It is much easier to understand him than the other characters. It must be his years of being in the biz, what a pro. I didn't like his character but I sure like how the actor speaks.

Thank you for doing two recaps in one week Judy.
 

Thanks Hombre. I don't know how you found it in your Oxford...I couldn't find it in mine (darse su taco, that is) but I'll correct it.
 

Sylvia...the other thing I like about the older male actors is that they speak s.l.o.w.e.r.

Heridas was the first telenovela I watched regularly and I'd had about 8 weeks of Spanish instruction total. (In other words, "nada") The man who played Jacqueline Bracamontes father was the ONLY one I could understand...for pretty much the whole novela!
 

Right, he was about the only one I could understand in Heridas too! The only actor I could understand in JQ was Alirio the underhanded and horny licenciado. I think you might have something there with the older actors, more experience, possibly classical training, or as you say, they just speak more slowly. Ana Martin is another actor that my ear likes. I'm glad she is in Un Gancho.
 

Sylvia and Judy, talking about the older actors being easier to understand, you reminded me of several years ago when I was watching Niña Amada Mia. No captions. I was so happy after Eric del Castillo's character had a stroke. Now he is pretty understandable anyway, but after the stroke he spoke so slowly and carefully enunciated every word, I had no need to rewind during his scenes. It was wonderful. Unfortunately he fully recovered. Carlos
 

Hey, go easy on us Viejos! We have to speak slowly so we can hear ourselves.

As far as likes:

- All the actors were, I thought, superb! Irritating to watch the quick turns the characters made (thanks for nothing, writers...) but the actors all did a great job dealing with that.

- Somehow I wanted to like Marissa, but you can only put up w/ bats..t crazy for so long.

- I did like Patricio. I wasn't kidding when I said I'd have been happy to be crewed with that guy.

- I really liked that ALL you recappers gutted it out and came through w/ great articulation, translation and, especially, wonderful humor! Thank you!
 

Hey Mike...it's great friends and commenters like you that keep us going. If no one ever said anything, we would eventually tire and give up the ghost, I'm sure...but you all keep us coming back...in addition to the challenge of taking a chaotic ever-changing mass of scenes and trying to make a cohesive (and if possible) entertaining recapitulation of it.

Some nights go better than others, of course. But we love the challenge and we love you all.
 

Judy, you went and saved the best for last. Your recap was brillant, insightful and you captured every poignant moment. Your word choice was stellar and vocabulary and dicho perfect.

It truly was a tale that included "tormented, twisted souls" amidst warm, loving, caring individuals. It was wonderful to see Charly and Lu back together and have high hopes for their future together.

I had no pity for Alicia as she had absolutely no remorse.

I loved Patito, Chava, Beto, Lu, Charly, Meno, Lulu, Hortensia and (yes) Pat.

I agree with you and Carrie that am happy Art is not with Gregoria (although sad to see her missing beau who used to give her flowers on her birthday never appeared).

I love the fact that although "we'd love to natter on about Candy's feelings" (simply excellent!), we no longer have to. :)

Agree with Mike that I loved the recappers humor. Also, appreciate the heart and soul you've put into this over the past months.

Thank you Judy - looking forward to the next!

Diana in MA
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder