Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Amor Monday, September 07, 2009: Long night’s journey into day

The subtitles for another show are running under our show! Names are being mentioned that I’ve never heard before. Funny.

Old: Carlota has stopped by Camila’s to refuse her offer of paying for Paloma’s university.

Brand spanking new: German comes by Emiliano’s office and says he has to tell him the whole truth about how things were before he came to Real del Monte. Then he thoughtbubbles to himself How can I tell him Romina and were lovers? Emiliano says what? Is it about Orlando, or what? German says that’s it. Then he says mumble mumble mumble coward mumble mumble. The subtitles say And did you come with your wife? Somebody who understood, please fill us in.

Romina is on the phone yelling at her private investigator. I already know he’s in Mexico! What’s his phone number? His address? I’ll give you one more week and if you can’t find him, I’m hiring someone else.

It’s nighttime in Real del Monte. With creepy music following, Aron comes home and sits down at his computer. He looks at someone’s calling card, then starts an e-mail. He starts off “hola…”

Oh good, now the correct captions have come on.

Mexico City. Alonso is at his office, working and looking very cranky. He gets up and looks at a framed photo of Inaki and some lovely guitar music starts up. Why not sax? He remembers playing chess with Inaki, asking about Inaki’s love life and music and studies, how he and laughing Inaki agreed they should spend more time together.

Alonso tearfully tells the photo if you’d only listened to me and stayed away from that family! You’d be with me. He breaks down. How I miss you! His secretary comes in and stands behind him and begins to rub his shoulders. Can I offer you anything else? she asks embracing his neck. He smiles and rubs her arm. The music is shocked.

Back to Aron’s e-mail which turns out to be an IM to Romina. Oops, I see he spells his name Aaron. Romina IMs back how did you get my e-mail address? He says you’ll see. I’d like to make a deal in which you get what you want and I get what I want. Romina smiles at the screen. He says he’ll wait for her outside school.

Alonso comes home and finds Natalie waiting up. She is kind to him, but he’s cool and distant. She suggests a vacation and he says you know why I’m in not mood for that. She says he’s in such bad shape, maybe he should get some professional help. He doesn’t tell her he just came from getting some professional help. Oh, wrong profession, I guess.

Alonso says he can’t get over Inaki’s death because it never should have happened and she’s partly at fault for aiding and abetting him. He says he doesn’t think Inaki died of natural causes. Natalia is taken aback. Alonso says that aunt of Paloma’s - she was totally against their marriage and then suddenly she was all sweetness and light. Don’t you think that’s fishy? And then Inaki is found dead the very day of their wedding?

Natalia says do you really think Carlota did him in? Alonso says yes, and I ‘m not going to rest until I prove it. (Here we might imagine him strapping on his superhero cape and flying off to fight for truth, justice and the Mexican way, but heck, he’s become a cheating ratbastard, so so much for that.)

Diana is frantically telling Emiliano not to sign a partnership with Orlando until he’s talked to his father. Em says that his father completely supports it, but as she gets more agitated, he says okay I’ll talk to him first.

He admires Diana’s new look. She starts to mention Romina but his cell rings and he takes the call, saying he doesn’t want to talk about Romina. Diana says to herself that he’s going to listen to her no matter what.

Angelica has fallen asleep on her laptop and Inez wakes her up. Inez says she’s been thinking about Angelica’s history with that college professor that didn’t work out. Does she still love him? Angelica says she still has feelings, but she was probably just a fling for him and he stayed with the other woman.

Inez wistfully says I envy you. I wish I’d had a love experience. At least you’ve lived. Angelica says maybe one day. I think this is telenovelaspeak for yes, you absolutely will have a love adventure before this show is done, so go buy some new glasses. Angelica has to rush off to see Paloma.

Paloma has gone to a nighttime mass just to ask Padre JuanChris if he has Natalia’s phone number. He says he’ll look it up. She gives him her number so he can call her later with it. He says remember I’m always here for you.

Rufi and Mac are still talking about Rufi thinking she saw Chris. Rufi apologizes and says I shouldn’t have brought it up while you’re getting ready to have the first man since him over for dinner. Mac says don’t apologize, not one day has passed in almost 20 years that I don’t think of him.

Rufi says you told me you just tore up all your remembrances and now I’ve brought him up again. Mac says maybe now that my life is taking a new path, I need to be honest and loyal to Rodolfo.

Rodolfo has had a bouquet of red roses delivered to his office. He smells them and we watch his face. He smiles a small smile – does that mean we can hope he wasn’t brainwashed by Carlota?

Mac is waiting – Rodolfo is 15 minutes late. Carlota comes in and says so you’ve been stood up? Mac says you can’t get me stirred up. I plan to accept him. Carlota says just for money. Mac says no, and I want the half of our inheritance. I want it for Paloma. Carlota says for what? Mac says so she can live her dreams. I’m fighting for her – I’m fighting for my daughter. I am her one and only true mother! Ta DUMMMMMM says the music.

Chris has called Natalia. She is very happy to hear that he has connected with Paloma. He says he didn’t want to give out her number without consulting her first because he didn’t want it to create problems with Alonso. Natalia says if she needs me, I will always be here for her. Chris gives her Paloma’s number.

Okay, here’s the big scene we’ve been waiting for. Carlota and Mac are having an explosive fight, and hidden truths are flying around like shrapnel.

Carlota: You gave Paloma up! Nobody made you.

Mac: Circumstances did. Our father died and then he (meaning Chris, no doubt) died… I couldn’t provide her with a father or a proper last name. I didn’t want her to go through life with that burden.

C: It was your disgraceful behavior that created the situation. It would have been a disaster for her to have you as a mother.

M: Yes, but now it’s a disaster for her that she doesn’t have a mother who supports her, who helps her spread her wings and fly.

C: You have never been a mother to her. A real mother fights for her child tooth and nail.
You are so weak. To cover up your shame you gave her over to Javier and Sagrario.

M: It broke my heart to give her up, but I did it because you talked me into it.

C: Well, aren’t you just the obedient little thing? If Paloma had been my child, I would have fought to the very death to keep her. You agreed because it was what you wanted to hear.Don’t play the victim. It’s your own fault. You abandoned her, you gave her away.

M: (tearfully) It’s true, but because I wasn’t brave or strong enough. I never abandoned her - I was always close to her.

C: Oh yeah right.. An aunt with no authority. Even Javier had no faith in you and named me as guardian. Paloma is the result of a sin.

M: It was the sin of love.

C: A sin is a sin. And I very strongly suggest you keep your secret for your own good and for Paloma’s good. If you tell she’ll think you’re weak and you abandoned her.

M: I’m going to tell her anyway.

C: I wonder if you’re going to be as brave as now when you’re face to face with her. What is she going to think of her mommy, huh? And as for the house, forget it. I’m not selling it until one of dies. And if you keep up with this, I’ll tell Paloma myself what a tramp she has for a mother.

Carlota sweeps off, her cape swirling like a Disney villainess's, and Mac is left crying.

Rodolfo we can’t help but notice, has not showed.

Paloma is having coffee with Angelica. She reports that Mac is furious about her wanting to leave town and doesn’t like any of her plans. For a second there, she had thought maybe she and Emiliano… Angelica says why not? Romina told you she’s step out of the way. Why eliminate possibilities? Paloma says but Romina would be sacrificing herself for me. Angelica says she’s probably just testing you. Paloma is confundida.

Angelica says is it that she attempted suicide, or that they slept together? Paloma says both – if she slept with him it would be because she loved him so deeply. Angelica says I don’t think Romina’s motives are always so pure and direct. Paloma says but I trust her. Angelica says even after that girlfight thing? Paloma says she was afraid to get kicked out of school.

It’s 8:35 and Mac is still waiting. Violins play a dirge. Mac has an audio flashback of her telling Carlota that she is pregnant and how glad she is to be carrying his child, a memory of their love. Shut up! says Carlota’s voice. That child cannot be born. Mac’s voice says of course it will be. Carlota says you’ve brought shame down on our house. First you cause our father’s death and now this. I won’t let you make us the laughingstock of the city.

Rufi in the background sees Mac in sorrowful thought and shakes her head sadly.

Paloma is slowly walking home at night, thinking. She remembers various sweet moments with Emiliano. She sits on a curb and thinks to herself why did I have to fall in love with you?

Now Mac is thoughtbubbling out loud. She says I should have been braver. I should have taken Paloma and run away to where nobody knew us and had her all to myself, with the memory of a father who died before she was born. Sob.

Padre M and Chris are having dinner. Padre M tells him that Paloma has had a hard life but he believes she will land on her feet. He’s glad Chris has taken an interest in her. Chris he just feels like he’d like to stay close to her and support her. Padre M says she’s not alone, you know. She has her aunt Carlota who takes good care of her. Chris says but I don’t think she’s happy- she has such an air of sadness. Padre M looks startled, apparently having forgotten that she recently lost her almost husband.

Carlota is on the phone with her lawyer. She says she’ll meet up with him in Mexico City. He says he’ll be in the same hotel and he’ll meet her in the bar. Oddly, this is okay with her. She asks him if he knows a good P.I. She wants to try to find someone she hasn’t seen in over 18 years. He wants to know if she has any information about this guy, maybe a photo. She says she doesn’t think so. She needs to know if he’s dead or alive.

Mac is still waiting for no-show Rodolfo when Paloma walks in. Mac quickly dries her tears. Paloma urges her to call him – maybe he had an emergency. Mac says you think so?

Meantime, Carlota is rooting around Mac’s room. She finds the Box of Memories, but it’s empty. Drat.

Carlota comes down and says still waiting? Oh, and didn’t you have something you wanted to tell Paloma here? Mac says um, yes. Paloma guesses that she has decided to accept Rodolfo’s proposal. Mac says, yes, that’s what it is. Paloma goes on up to bed.

Carlota says see? You don’t have the nerve. Mac says don’t provoke me or one day I will have too much nerve.

Rodolfo is in his office sadly drinking wine and fiddling with the telephone. He is remembering what Carlota told him. Sure enough, we hear her telling him that Mac abandoned her child, who is Paloma. She slept with this guy for money and when he got tired of her, he dumped her. My brother and I tried to talk her into keeping Paloma, but she was determined to give her away. Rodolfo looks like he might dial the phone. Carlota’s voice goes on: That’s why our brother raised Paloma and named me guardian in case anything happened.

We see Mac sadly clearing the unused dishes from the table.

Carlota continued: That’s why I wonder about my sister’s way of thinking, and why I felt obligated to inform you. It’s a secret we’ve kept for Paloma’s good. But is this the class of woman you want to marry? Rodolfo sadly closes the little ring box.

Mac turns out the lights, blows out the candles, and slowly goes on up to bed.

Yeah, it’s sad that she’s going to lose this real nice gentleman suitor who looks a little like Omar Sharif. But, call me middle-aged, the big tragedy is that she’s going to lose a really good doctor.

Emiliano is having pizza and watching TV. Diana comes in and wants to talk about Romina. He can’t stave her off. She says it’s not right for a man to run away from a situation like this. You have to marry her! Don’t be so self-centered. Em says I’m not, I’m being realistic. I don’t love her. Why do you want me to marry someone I don’t love? Diana says love comes with time. She gorgeous, rich, comes from a good family, and she is crazy about you. Em says I don’t love her.

Diana says so it’s Paloma? Em says why do you bring her up? Di says gossip flies fast. That girl isn’t up to your level. Em says every day I’m noticing that you and I have a totally different way of looking at the world. He stomps off to his room.

Rafa in his office holds up an ugly modern orange and white dinner plate and is thrilled. He tells Joel that Camila’s going to come by to check out the samples. He’s stoked that she’s part of the project. Joel says so you can be closer, wink wink? Rafa smiles.

Romina is in bed and Camila tells her she’s going to leave her door open in case she needs anything. She wants Romina to know that she can always count on her. Romina says not always. It seems like I see things one way and you see them another way. But I’m trying to understand your way of looking at things. Camila says When we’re young we can make the wrong decisions. If I had supported you in wanting to marry Emiliano, one day you’d be regretting it.

Romina says I’ll never know because you didn’t support me, and neither did Emiliano. Camila says a marriage needs love. We’re past the days where people married for money or social position. Romina says you married for love and it didn’t work. Camila says if there hadn’t been love at first, believe me, it would have been much worse.

Romina says I found out Paloma is in love with Em. Camila is impactada. Romina says I’ve listened to you and realized it won’t work without love, so I told Paloma she can go ahead. Camila says that’s very noble of you. Romina says just so you can believe I’m being honest, you can ask her.

But I’ll never be in love again like I am with Em. The same as with you and Papa. You have never felt that again, have you? Or do you have some feelings for that Orlando guy? Camila says I’m much older. There’s no reason you should repeat my history. You’re young and other loves will come along. Romina says you know it doesn’t work like that. You’re just telling me that to make me feel better. Camila looks defeated and heads to bed. Romina looks sulky.

Finally that tortuous night is over and now it’s the next morning. Camila has come by Rafa’s office early since she has to go on to her shop. She’s never been there and says how nice is place of business is. We see a more traditional set of dishes on display, so her design must be a radical change for the company. He’s glad he didn’t have to close, since his workers will all keep their jobs. Whadda guy! He offers her a tour.

Back in the DF, Alonso is reading his paper and little Sagrario has to get to school. She comes over and asks him why he’s mad. He says he isn’t. Natalia gives her a loving send-off, then tells Alonso that his daughter needs him. Inaki wasn’t his only child, even if he seems to have forgotten that fact.

Paloma is off to school. She gives Carlota a peck and wishes her a good trip and does she have the ring. Carlota says what ring? Paloma says the one you’re going to sell. Carlota says oh, of course. Paloma begs her to get as much as she can for it and Carlota says I will. Rufi comes back from the bakery and Mac comes down in her jammies.

Rufi says she got held up by all the gossip. Everyone’s still talking about Arcadia, she reports. We can tell that Carlota’s blood pressure just shot up, but she pretends to be only mildly interested. The police want to close the case, but Arcadia’s niece insists they find the person who ran her over with a car. The police say they don’t have enough clues, so they’re giving up. Carlota smiles, probably at their stupidity in not checking all two car repair places in their small town.

In her jammies, Angelica is checking her e-mail and gets a shock. Inez comes in and Angelica shows her. It’s from Dario, that professor, and it says I want to see you. Angelica doesn’t know what to respond. Inez says if he cheated on you once, he’ll do it again.

Rafa shows Camila samples of the plates she helped to design. She’s thrilled – they look so much better than they did on paper. He’s very pleased with how modern and stylish they are. She says congratulations and throws her arms around him. Suddenly she looks stunned, like she’s been stabbed in the back. But it’s okay, it’s just cupid. She backs her face up a bit and they look one another in the eyes, their love song gushes, he leans in for a kiss, and freeze frame.

Avances: Carlota leaves home. She makes a phone call from her hotel room. Mac gets a phone call about Paloma but I couldn’t understand it, maybe something about an inheritance. Paloma looks smug with Romina, Romina feels the giant thorns on a flower and looks smug too, Aaron hides behind a corner spying on Paloma.

Labels:


Comments:
Another masterpiece, Maggie, from the title on. You write so well, amiga. However, this story is so painful, I truly ache even when reading the recaps, however well-crafted they are.

Ugh, that Aaron...knew he was bad from the beginning. Slimy little worm!
 

Thanks for the recap Maggie. So now we get to see what has happened with Ange in the past. We can't finish this TN too fast, we better throw in some other story lines to stretch it out. :)

Disappointed in the Doc that he didn't even call Mac and say he couldn't make it.

JeffMN
 

Debbie and Cathy, thank you for Thursday and Friday's wonderful recaps. Cathy, I will keep your grandmother in my prayers.

Maggie, simply great recap. Thanks for carefully noting Mac and Carlota's discussion. It really helped.

I didn't see the first 15 minutes and thought I hadn't missed anything until I read about Alonso. Whatever is the matter with him? He was loved by two wonderful women - Carmen and Nat, and blessed with two precious children - Inaki and Sangrario, none of whom he deserved. If nothing else, at least he has channeled his bitterness into suspicions about Inaki's death. Only he and Romina seemed to question Inaki's death initially, but will he stew in his own misery or do somthing about it?

Mac waiting for Rodolfo was just pitiful and painful. Why would he ever believe Carlota? I can't believe he will take Carlota's word and not even speak to Mac about it.

How much longer can Mac and Cris avoid meeting?

Diana in MA
 

Great recap Mag
I loved seeing Inaki once more even if it where 2 minutes and Alonso was in the scene wow Luis Hacha what a great actor.
Televisa MUST give him a leading role in a future TN I dont know if its this Inakesterr charactor or what but damn he is a NATURAL he was ultra likeable and sweet in those 2 minutes love him and I just think its this actor as we all know Inaki was great.

Thats the only good thing I really have to say about this episode seeing Inaki again & the great well acted scene with Mac & Carl other than that sadly I think they are just gonna give us the viewer filler material I must admit I was bored by yesterdays episode not moving fast enough.

Dont wanna sound like a weird psycopath like Carlots but damn she needs to kill somebody Lol sorry i needed to say it or freaking Mac needs to see Padre Chris STOP IT EDNA producers hes a new priest in town to the church she attends and she has never seen him PLUUUeSEEEE.
Or maybe Pal & Roe get into a physical fight lol just kidding because I'll be honest seeing Cam and Emil's dad going in for a kiss really not that interesting to me.
 

Hola Jeff....are you still watching Gancho? We miss hearing from you over there. It's as lighthearted as this one is heavy and angst-producing.
 

Thanks, Maggie. GREAT recap!

Sheesh, I was never on board with Rodolfo for Macarena anyway. I'm hoping they'll introduce someone else for her later on because priests never leave the priesthood in Mexican telenovelas. But Rodolfo is a despicable coward for believing Carlota and leaving Mac sitting there with the dinner.

And Diana. Thank goodness Emiliano has some spine. Her hysterical desire to get her son away from his real father (so she won't be found out) and force him into a loveless marriage - just awful.

Natalia knew that her good friend Sagrario and her husband Javier were NOT broke and had made arrangements for Paloma. I'm pretty sure she told Iñaki that in the hospital scene that the purple one overheard and that resulted in Iñaki's poisoning.
 

Great recap, Maggie. I love your music-to-English translations. I have no idea what Germy said, either; I think you covered it pretty well with the mumble-mumble-coward.

I hope Iñaki continues to appear in memories. I just love him. In fact, we could dispense with a lot of the present-day filler scenes and spend the time on Pensieve-style explorations of Iñaki's life; that would be fine with me.

Unbelievable how rude the doc was, to stand Mac up and not even call. Why would he believe anything Carlota says? And prostitution? As if. He knows Mac, and it's not like the family needed money.

Interesting that in the audio flashback Carlota was saying the baby must not be born. Do you think maybe she started on the poisoning back then, trying to cause a miscarriage? It might explain Paloma's simple-mindedness. Also, is it possible that Carlota is slipping Padre M hypnotics? Why does he think she's so great, and he never seems to remember that Mac even exists?

Yes, Natalia knows that Paloma should be rich. I hope she remembers that she was going to investigate that.

Those new plates were not so special. They looked like one of those seasonal things at Target. I liked the older stuff in the photo better.
 

I really enjoyed your re-cap remark regarding German.." mumble mumble mumble coward mumble mumble." I Can't believe he won't tell Em the truth.Since when do young men not brag about their "conquests"?

In this episode the older guys have no common sense....the doc never calls to cancel dinner with Mac and Orlando is so busy trying to score with Camila that he doesn't care her daughter just returned from the hospital ! Both big NO NO's !

Aron was a sneak from the beginning, I am worried what he is planning regarding Paloma.

For those of you MEPS fans, I think Carlota should Marry Artemio B, they are both cold, calculating murderers and his home interior is already painted a lovely dark purple plum...Carlota would be in heaven, or hell whichever she prefers!
 

Elle - too funny! Artemio Bravo and Carlota would make a lovely couple. But they'd need to hire a couple of food tasters.

It sounded to me like Carlota was suggesting that Mac abort Paloma. What a great Catholic she is! Her hypocrisy about religion is not to be believed. She has her own commandments, among them:

1. No one is ever to be happy in her household.
2. Thou shalt kill when it suits you.
3. Thou shalt steal in order to gain thy twisted purposes.
4. Thou shalt lie every chance thou gets.
 

5. Thou shalt covet thy sister's novio.

6. Thou shalt bear false witness, especially by accusing innocent persons of causing the deaths of their loved ones.

7. Thou shalt be forever bitter for never having been offered the chance to commit adultery.
 

Hola Judy, yes, still watching Gancho, all 3 of the TNs. Seems to be less people here on ENDA, so adding more comments here than on others. Not enough time in the day. :) Many times, late in the day before I get around to thinking about commenting, so I end up passing and not commenting. :)

Gancho to raise the spirits, ENDA to bring you back down, and MEPS to put you back on more of an even keel. :)

JeffMN
 

Artemio would definitely have to hire a few tasters if he was married to Carlota. Would trust too much from her.

I wonder if Alonso will get any free time to follow up on his thoughts? Natalia can't dump him soon enough.

JeffMN
 

Julia: Great commandments!!!

Especially like your take on the adultery one!!
 

Thanks for the recap.

Yes, Arti and Carlotta would be the ultimate "Power Couple" and certainly not in a nice way.

rsk
 

I am officially done with Aaron now. I initially had high hopes for him, but last night ended all that. I still don't like Milo as much as Inaki, but I don't think we'll get any more galans, so I'll just have to learn to like him.
-Vivi in DC
 

Vivi, I agree. They sure did do a character switch on Aaron. He started out as the sweet, dorky guy who just wanted to be Paloma's friend. Apparently, when you fall for someone in Mexico, you turn into an evil stalker overnight.
 

Great recap and thank you, Maggie. I think perhaps Aron or Aaron is playing Romina as he is wise to her intentions...he doesn't believe her change of heart regarding Pal and Emil and knows she has something else planned and is trying to protect Pal. At least, I hope so.

GinCA
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder