Friday, February 19, 2010

El Clon #4, 2/17/10. Rules are made to be broken.

Quite a few rules were broken in tonight’s cap, and surprisingly, the first to go were some entrenched telenovela rules. Cómo puede serrrr?

TN Rule #1. When major players come to wrong conclusions, they continue to believe that conclusion for at least five cap’s, but usually 30 or 40. At the elevator, Jade sees Diego but thinks he’s Lucas. When Diego acts like he doesn’t know her (which he doesn’t), she’s shattered. She goes up to the roof to be alone, and the real Lucas sees her there. He is breathless for the opportunity to talk to her again. She’s furious that he would play with her emotions like that; she’s sure he has a wife or girlfriend and she was just sport for him. She tells him clearly that she never wants to see him again. BUT she’s willing to hear him out! Cómo puede ser? When she says they talked down in the lobby and he pretended he didn’t know her, he’s puzzled. But when she says he changed his shirt, Lucas realizes she saw Diego. He explains the mistake and she actually believes him! Cómo puede ser?

Back in Miami, Osvaldo’s afterglow is darkened when Dora suddenly suggests that his ex-wife put a curse on him so he wouldn’t have more children. Osvaldo says he feels like he’s just her stud bull (semental). She seems to be using him to father her child and his feelings mean nothing to her. She objects lamely, but he throws on his clothes and marches out.

Diego walks into a tempest known as Papa.
Leo surprises him saying, “I know everything. But I want to hear it from you.” All Leo knows is Cristina’s invented story that Diego tried to take advantage of her some time after Leo introduced them, but Diego thinks Leo knows the truth, that she threw herself at him like a dog in heat.
Diego’s sweating, but he tries to explain. “If I knew she was yours, I would’ve never considered it.”
Leo: “You mean It’s true? You don’t deny it?”
TN Rule #2. When a character hears part of the story and fears the worst, he refuses to listen to anything else. But instead, Leo wants Diego to explain every detail. Cómo puede ser?
Diego explains, “she flirted, I flirted, she led me to a secluded place, and .. it happened. We had sex.”
Cristina bursts out of the bathroom where she was hiding. “Lies! All lies! I didn’t do anything with him! He wanted me to leave you and run off with him. You seized me, you threatened you’d tell my novio.
Diego slaps her and calls her a cualquiera. Leo warns him to stop, but Diego goes on. “She’s making a fool of you. She’s sleeping with other men right under your..”
Leo punches him in the face but then turns quiet. “Why, son, why? To get her away from me? Were you jealous? You didn’t want me to marry? I always thought you and I were one. (Is that a hint?) How could one who comes from me be such a stranger?”
Diego says, quietly, “If you prefer her over me, I hope you’ll be happy,” and he leaves.

Down in the lobby, Albieri tries to convince Diego to stay, but there’s no turning back. “How could he believe someone he just met, over his own son.” He asks if he can live with Albieri. Al says, “I never needed a son, because I have you. (Is that a hint?) Up on the roof, Al tries to calm Leo, but gets nowhere. Leo asks, “You’ve always taken his side. Just how far will you go in your blindness regarding him?” Al says, “Even if I had a son of my own blood, I couldn’t feel closer than I do to Diego.” (Another hint?) And what about Cristina? Leo tells Al to get rid of her. He still has one son left, and he’s just the same as Diego. Leo will take Lucas to Paris. Al breaks the news to Cristina, and she tells her woes to the taxi driver (I guess there are no bartenders in Morocco).

Speaking of Lucas, he explains to Jade that although they are twins, they are very different. Lucas is the introverted idealist. They agree that they haven’t been able to stop thinking of the other. Jade feels as if she’s known him for a long time, as if from a past life. Lucas says he never thought about reincarnation, but he agrees, it’s as if he remembers her in his mind and his heart. He tries again to kiss her, but she won’t let him; it would be wrong. She needs to go; she’ll contact him when she can. When she gets home, she dances for pure joy (as corny as Kansas in August?). Zoraida pulls her up short, asking where is this supposed package she went to collect. Jade makes up a feeble lie. Zoraida doesn’t buy it for an instant. She rebukes Jade for using the veil as a disguise and warns her, if she ever brings shame to the family, Ali has the right to kill her for it.

Albieri questions Lucas to find out exactly what Diego said about Cristina. He reports it to Leo, who is stunned to learn that Diego didn’t force himself on Cristina; she was quite willing. He doesn’t know which hurts him worse, he only knows he never again wants to see either.

In the market, Latifa worries that Jade’s brazen behavior could derail her wedding. Zoraida says she’s tired of covering Jade’s lies, and she’s going to tell Ali everything. At home, Ali breaks the news to the ladies. Latifa will marry Mohammed, and Jade will marry Said. Latifa throws a fit. “Why me? Why oh why? Oh, the humanity! (o algo así). Jade flatly refuses, “I’ll die first.” (Refuse? Did she say refuse? Another rule broken.) She appeals to Ali’s honor, since he gave his word that she would be allowed to study medicine. He says that she is double minded, with the conscience of a Muslim and the desires of a westerner. He says he’s arranging the marriage for her own good, to protect her. Interesting side note, the Law of Moses gave a woman the right to refuse the husband selected for her. I’m not sure any other law system of that time recognized any rights of women.

In the women’s quarters, Latifa cries she’s being sacrificed like a ram. Jade says they should run away. She pleads with Zoraida, do something. I can’t marry him. I’m in love with another. Meanwhile, Lucas tells Pop that he won’t be going along to Paris; he’s met a girl. Leo accuses him of ruining Leo’s life just like his brother. Lucas protests the comparison; “We’re not the same person.” Leo persists; “You’re so synchronized, what one of you starts, the other finishes.” (More hints?) Leo tells Albieri, “You’re lucky Laura died; the dead don’t betray you.” Laying on a bit thick there, Leo Baby. He says, “I feel a profound rage (rabia, like rabies) toward women.” If that’s not a foreshadow, I’m a chupacabra. Albieri says his honeymoon would've been here, and Leo responds, "Yes, mine too." I'm sure that's a clue about something but I don't know what.

Back to Miami. Diego arrives home and fondly greets Nana Rosa. She reminds him about Maritza’s birthday party; he says she’s not his novia. Yet. Diego packs to move in with Albieri, and tells Rosa his father disowned him.

Ali counsels Jade. She cannot change her destiny; she must accept it. He does these things to protect her from the trap of emotions. He says that love is the fruit of time, and a husband should be picked with the brain, not the emotions. True wisdom lies in making the emotions servants of the mind. He says there are four traitors which we should distrust. : the sultan, the sea, luck, and love.
She asks, “What if I love a man who is not the one picked as my husband.”
That stops him cold. He asks, “Does that man exist? Are you in love with someone?”

Now Jade is the one stopped cold. She answers no, but takes far too long to give that answer. Only a fool would believe her after that pause, and Ali is no fool. But he lets it rest and tells Zoraida to take the girls out to the market and buy them something pretty to cheer them up. Maybe a lollipop or some Hello Kitty rainbow stickers, huh?

Zoraida and Latifa press her to tell who she loves, but she denies it. (I think there’s a rule against that.) Both are fed up with her lies. Before they go out, Jade makes a secret phone call. At the market, Jade sees Lucas and slips away from her wardens. (There goes another rule.) They meet at the ruins, away from everyone. She says, “I want to know the feel of a kiss.” (Definitely breaks a rule. Definitely.) Lucas gives a kiss that will last clear into next week.

Tomorrow: Marriage?

Labels:


Comments:
People jumping to conclusions, believing the worst, and refusing to hear/entertain other explanations is one of my least favorite telenovela (and US soap) gimmicks. Knowing there's a telenovela that isn't using them is reassuring. Knowing that it's not a Televisa program (I assume, since it's on Telemundo) makes me a little sad... I'd like to see Televisa's shows dump some of those cliches.
 

...or maybe Televisa has, for all I know. I hate bein' out of the loop.
 

Paula, thanks so much for this delightful recap. I hadn't realized how much of the Spanish I'd missed until I read your account.

This is the first TN I've watched on Telemundo. Does Telemundo usually start and end late? I watched what I had taped, and it included part of the show before and cut off before the end. Since I may also be trying to tape Corazón Salvaje (and yes, I mean "tape" -- I have a VCR, not a DVR), this may be a real problem, since CS is set to begin at 9 on Univision.
 

Just so everyone knows, regarding the possible hints I pointed to in the recap. They are all just guesses, not spoilers. I read the Wiki page and it tells one important event that will happen in the future, but I don't know ANYTHING about any character's back story. My guesses could be waaaaaay off, but it's fun to try.
 

Juanita, I confess I missed most of the details on my first run-through of this episode. But because it seemed so packed with plot progress, I want back and read the CCs (in Spanish, since I don't have CC3) of almost the entire show, and I caught a ton of things I missed. I hope I don't need a second view often, but they sure did cover a lot of ground. Maybe it will get better when I'm more tuned to the actors, with practice.

As for start/end times, I've heard they do that; others would know better. The good news is, many Uni TN's have a long opening and the first several minutes repeat yesterday's show.
 

Paula~Thanks for the recap. I watched last night. I've had quite a few Muslim women in my classes. Some of them wear scarves. I don't think that I would have recognized Water from Cuerpo, but maybe I would have because he has a very distinctive mouth. Did you notice that Diego's nana is the actress who played Dona Barbara's maid in Dona Barbara ? She looks very different without her hair pulled back into a little bun. The galan does not do it for me, but his daddy is quite handsome. He is the actor who played the bad guy in Ladron Robar Ladron. Wow..his girlfriend looks like Goldilocks on drugs. YIKES...What a look. That green eye shadow, dark lipstick, and shoulderlength curls made me think of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Julie!! Is that Julie , the Recapper ? If so, I've missed your posts and recaps.
 

I don't know if Telemundo always starts and ends late, I have assumed that almost every channel does that now. We always record everything to end 5 minutes after the scheduled end time.

Julie - go here http://msnlatino.telemundo.com/novelas/El_Clon/videos/
and I think you can watch everything.
 

Paula, thanks for reminding me that the TNs on Univision often have a long intro followed by a good deal of recap. That may help me with the taping problem.

Susanlynn, I agree that the galan's father is quite handsome and more sexy than his son(s). I loved him in Ladrón. However, I've enjoyed Mauricio Ochmann (the sons) in several other TNs, all of which I bought: Dame chocolate (in an abridged version), Como en el cine, and Azul Tequila. Both actors bode well for this TN.
 

Thanks for the great recap, Paula. You definitely emphasized things I was thinking. How great was it that the twin confusion with Jade was cleared up immediately.

Yes, Telemundo definitely starts past and runs past the hour. I've been subjected to the last bit of the awful 12 Corazones through several 8:00 novelas now. I set my DVR for 5 minutes later and fast foward through Penélope and the payasos at the beginning.

I'm re-thinking the Diego twin now. At first I thought, because of being a mujeriego, that he would be sort of a bad guy. But he was SO hurt by his father's not believing him and SO affectionate with Mama Rosa that he seems much more nuanced to me.

I wonder if Osvaldo is lying about his other children with his ex-wife or if they're by some other father. He seems waaaay too reluctant to have his sperm count checked. Could it be he's afraid of losing her if she finds out he's sterile? Obviously not a spoiler, just a guess.
 

My take is that Osvaldo just doesn't want to have any more kids.

I forgot to put in my agreement with the departure from the TN rules before - after Lucas explained about having a twin and then everything was fine I actually paused the recording and looked at my wife - "did that really just happen?" We had spent all day since yesterday dreading the six weeks of Three's Company mistaken identity hijinks. I love when shows don't follow the TN rules, mostly.
 

Novelera - I had a good feeling about Diego from the start; he's just naughty and more playful than Lucas.

Gracia a Dios they didn't drag out the twins 'confusion.'
 

Jean and Paula, So the boys really are twins?...the title is what made me ask that question yesterday. I wasn't intending to make a spoiler comment.
 

The twin trouble I was referring to in the title of Wed.'s episode was Jade mistaking Diego for Lucas at the elevator. Based on the info we have at this time, Diego and Lucas are the twin sons of Leonardo.
 

i'm really liking this so far my only complaint was that sandra could not really bellydance but thats minor. dora is a reat dancer and one of my favs so far.i can definitely say though that its seems like every telenovela ahs a man who thinks its just okay to hit a women.
 

I don't know the timing of this telenovela. The present king of Morocco is supposedly trying to be a constitutional king and also provide women's rights. Of course, there is a fundamentalist kickback.

In Morocco there is a strong Berber influence. The towns (Medinas) of the cities are still like the medieaval cities of Europe - interesting.

I think - as always - one has to realize that cultural influence will play a large part in the implementation of religion. I think that the rural areas may be more traditional than the towns and cities. In Turkey and Jordan, the women I saw dressed in very modern, western outfits - well at least in the cities.

It's likely worth watching to see how the modern producers interpret the culture. I wonder how many of them have been to Morocco.

Lynne
 

Lynne, it's great to hear from someone who's actually been to that part of the world. Interesting that you mentioned Berbers. I seem to remember Zoraida cautioning Jade about being careful in the streets, that she was very beautiful, and that a Berber might take her. The implication was that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to get her back if she were grabbed by the Berbers. Are they the ones who have the tradition of the bride being kidnapped by the groom? Although I had the impression that both sides of the family were complicit in this and that it wasn't meant to be a woman who had no idea what would happen.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder