Wednesday, March 03, 2010

El Clon #12, 3/2, Lucas is driving Leo nuts, but that’s not a drive. It’s a short putt.

Albieri tells Lucas that Diego died while he was lost in the desert. Lucas remembers his hallucinations of Diego when the Bedouins rescued him.

In the den, Leo demands that Albi test Lucas’ mole right now. Leo can’t face, and can’t solve, his big problem, so instead he redirects all his intensity into what he can fix. Albi suggests that this just might not be the best time for this. Leo blows a gasket and implies that Albi doesn’t care about Luke’s life. That’s too much for Albi. He shouts, “I neverstopped taking care of them. (You’re getting close to the edge, Albi!) I’m not the one responsible for what happened to Diego!” (Oops! Over the edge!)
This pushes Leo farther into his delusions. He shouts back, “Of course you’re the one! You and your science don’t accomplish anything! I give you rivers of money, and you can’t solve anything!”
Alb answers, louder yet, “What do you want me to solve, death?”
Enrique breaks them up and tries to restore calm.
Leo insists that he give Lucas a thorough examination, so death doesn’t come back. (Note, Leo wants to believe that death comes on its own.)

Enrique reminds Albi about his conference at the end of the month. Alb responds that he can’t; he’s getting married. Enrique is all excited for him, and starts talking about the joy of children, but Albi sets him straight. No kids. He doesn’t want his emotions smashed again. Enrique tries again, but Albi shuts him down, saying, “I already had a son, and he just died.” Leo doesn’t object, and Enrique decides it’s time to shut up.

Lucas mourns his brother. “Why him? Why not me? Everyone liked him better. I even liked him better.”

Said enters Ali’s house followed by 15 women (they say 15, but I only see 13). He tells Ali, “This is my inheritance.” Ali suggests that only a king can afford such a harem. Said explains that Abdul’s mansion went to a cousin, a successful business went to another cousin, while a failed business and the harem went to Said. And he already has more debts than he can handle. He wanted to leave them behind but was forced to take them. Ali sets him straight; he is responsible for those women, and they are unable to provide for themselves. Said thinks all is hopeless, but Ali suggests a solution. Get the youngest ones married off. Get the older ones jobs as domestics. Said’s still responsible for the elderly or sick, but Ali only saw one of those.

Zoraida allows herself a bit of schadenfreude; she says, “When Nariza finds out, she’ll die of a heart attack!” She hurries to Nariza’s house because that’s too much fun to miss. Nariza has surrounded herself with all the samples merchants have left her, so she can choose which she wants to buy - jewelry, clothing, scarves, etc. She tells (not asks) Zoraida to fix her up with Ali, and she’ll reward her with as much gold as she wants. Zoraida keeps trying to explain, but Nariza is lost in gold fever. When she finally hears the news, Nariza crumbles to the floor with a melodramatic wail.

Mohammed is excited to show Latifa the house; Latifa is just as excited to see it. He’s eager to give her lots of beautiful things, and she’s eager to give him lots of children. But in the bedroom she tells him, “I don’t want you to have other wives. That, I will never permit. Just us two.” He answers, in good telenovela form, “If I have you, why would I want anything else?”

Dora tells Vicky about the artificial insemination process. She tells Vicki that Osvaldo has disappeared, but she asked for a sperm donor that resembles him so she can feel closer to him.

Next Cristina (to me she seems more like a Tina than a Cris) interrogates Vicky about the jewelry. The chauffer brought it back, not Leo. Tina makes sure Vicky said she was traveling with an amigO. The truth is, she stayed with an aunt so Vicky would believe the lie and pass it to Diego. She’s sure that since he returned the jewelry, it means he’s still interested in her.

Do we see a common thread between Dora, Cristina, and Luisa?

Lucas wants to know one thing from his father: where was he when Diego died? Leo says he can’t remember; he had so many things going on that day. Lucas pushes, and Leo shows his one moment of giving consolation to his son, telling him, “There are some things we can never understand; things we must just accept.” Too bad his one moment of apparent compassion was really just an attempt to avoid Lucas’ question. Then Lucas wants to know where his brother is buried. Leo doesn’t answer that one either. He says, “He’s traveling. And when he gets home, it’s late and I’m sleeping, so I don’t see him. It’s better if you think about it that way. Then nothing changes.” Lucas tries to tell his father that Diego is dead, but Leo refuses to listen.

Latifa, in a rose dancing outfit, dances for her husband. He’s interested but perplexed. He kisses her but then recoils; “Where did you learn that?”
Latifa answers that she learned it from the novela; she learned it for him. He’s so distressed, she’s afraid he’s going to hit her. To the contrary, he tells her to keep at it. Then they get at it.

Lucas calls Jade and arranges to meet in the morning. He begs her not to leave him alone. She promises from here on, they will be together forever. If you‘re gonna’ forge an anvil, you might as well make it a big one, eh?
.
Rosa tells Lucas about Marissa, and how much Diego loved her. She also says that Leo wouldn’t listen to anything Enrique had to say about the afterlife, but he takes everything Albieri says as gospel. She’s afraid that Albi has influenced Lucas as well.

At the table, Lucas tells Leo that he needs to bring his girlfriend to live there. The ever supportive papa says, “Are you trying to drive me nuts?” Lucas explains to Rosa that she left everything for him, and if they don’t take her in, she could be killed. Leo orders Lucas not to talk about the subject ever again. Lucas insists. Leo suggests she might be underage. Lucas doesn’t know how old she is; I guess the subject never came up in all their profound, sincere, illuminating conversations that became the foundation of their deep, abiding love. Oops. Maybe not. But she sure can dance, so who needs talk?

Leo says he could end up in jail for bringing in a minor, and “your brother never would have done anything as stupid as that. How can you be so different from him (read: inferior)?”

Dora goes shopping for baby things.

Latifa wants to go to the beach with Jade, but Mohammed says, “No, my wife stays in my house for me alone.” He’ll take her to the beach later. Latifa thinks that’s marvelous. Mohammed leaves, and Jade tells Latifa about the letter she wrote. It’s to Ali, telling him she’ll never go back to Morocco, and by the time he reads it, “I’ll already be married to the man I chose for myself.” She says that it’s Lucas. Jade leaves, and Latifa is sure that her own life is ruined thanks to Jade.

Jade goes to the beach. (Is it to wait for Lucas? Is it already the next morning? How can it be morning if we didn’t see last night’s moon? No puede ser.)

Marissa arrives at Leo’s house to get a memento of Diego. She’s surprised that he kept her picture on his nightstand. Lucas is in Diego’s room when Marissa enters. She’s impacteda; perhaps she didn’t know Diego had a twin.

A program note says that tomorrow’s show will be at 10:00. I don’t know whether that’s west coast or everyone. You should probably look and make sure at 8, 9, and 10. Last week it was announced that it would broadcast at 10, but ran at 8 instead.

Labels:


Comments:
Hi Paula:
Great recap. Needless to say, I don't have a better opinion of Leo. In fact, I agree with you that Leo seems to be going crazy.

The whole inheritance thing was a hoot. I loved Ali's calm counseling of Said and Zoraida scurrying to Nazira's house to give her the bad news.

I guess we'll see what is going on with Marisa. It was interesting that Diego never mentioned her to Lucas.
 

Missed yesterday's episode so I really enjoyed your excellent recap, Paula.

Only problem is that now I'll have to look up the episode just to see Nariza's reaction to the inheritance. Just love to see the villains get bad news.
 

Thanks so much, Paula, for the great recap. I assume you're writing this from the West Coast, since the posting time is listed as 4:34 am, but even if that's "only" 1.:34 PST, that's still likely to leave you sleep deprived!

I've bailed out of Corazón Salvaje -- El Clon seems to me much more interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up about a possible change in time for tonight's episodio. I somehow missed that, which may mean it refers to time on the West Coast, or it may mean that I wasn't paying enough attention, como siempre.
 

OK, I give up on trying to watch the episode before reading the recap and commenting. I saw the original, so how lost can I get :)

I loved your "Even I liked him better" and the dig about Jade and Lucas not discussing her age...trivial details. Mr. 5ft's refrain for this and Corazon Salvaje is "stupid kids!"

Now I know what to look forward to when I do get around to watching. Mohamed's reaction to Latifa's kiss was one of my favorite moments in the original.
 

Paula Paula! I howled at
"I guess the subject never came up in all their profound, sincere, illuminating conversations that became the foundation of their deep, abiding love. Oops. Maybe not. But she sure can dance, so who needs talk?" SO true in TNs. And NObody ever asks what is it you love about What's-his-name.

Papa has a REALLY profound case of grief related denial. I find him so interesting. He walks the walk - breaking ties to the woman that caused him to betray his love for his son; laying around refusing to eat or leave the house, lack of concern and interest in anyone. But on the other hand he can not say the words my son is dead.
 

I agree about Leo. Whenever he and/or Cristina show up on screen I groan. Hopefully those stories will move along.

Also - is it me or does Albieri always look like he is about to belch or throw up? He reminds me of a frog.

I cracked up when Nariza (I too am going to stick with that nickname, I love it) fell down when she got the news about the harem. Hilarious.
 

Thanks, all. Juanita, I'm a night owl anyway. Staying up past 1 AM is common for me. I work from home so I have a short commute. Judging by the comments on TNW, I suspect Mohamed's reaction to Latifa's kiss was better in the original. But in this one, Nariza's reaction to the news of the harem was hilarious! Especially as she played off Zoraida as the straight man. I can just see the marquee: The Nazira / Zoraida Comedy Team!
 

This novela is using two plot devices I'm really tired of.

1. Instant love. Their eyes meet and they fall in love. They never talk, never get to know each other, never find out the other person's background or priorites or values or dreams. But the hero will go to hell and back because of his infinite love for, um, what was her name?

That's what I loved about Fea. The hero started with disgust and took about 90 cap's to fall in love, gradually, step by step, as he got to know her better and better. Along the way he would often list her qualities, and as time passed the list got longer and longer. Even when he fell in love, it was a shallow, selfish love. It wasn't until later that it matured into a self-sacrificing hell-and-back kind of love. Gaitán's character development is spectacular - to me Fea is an analysis of the process of falling in love.

2. The other heavily abused plot device is the unsupported villain or destructive person. A person such as Leo goes to some excessive extreme, but we never see what led to that behavior. Like Snidely Whiplash from FELS. No justification, no fleshing out of the character, just evil. Yeah, I know that Leo is broken up about his parting scene w/ Diego, immediately followed by his death. Regardless, we just don't get much revealed about about him. No character development whatsoever. He just wanders around silent, then has outbursts of totally irrational behavior. Contrast that to Amor Real, where Antonia always loved Manuel, but she never dared act on it. Until her nana gradually poisoned her mind and chipped away at her moral standards, until Antonia gradually sank deeper and deeper into villainous acts.
 

What turned me off and tuned me out was Betty in Fea. Once again a young woman being portrayed as blindly obsesses with a pretty face. She was aware but did not care that the object (?) of her desire was engaged to another woman, promiscous as well as unfaithful, a dunce about business , lacked a concience, brutally ignorant of her feelings, etc. etc. etc. And so I asked what does she love except his pretty face?
The irony maybe unintentionally was he was ugly.
When I tuned in for the wedding I saw exactly what I expected to see. They had 'beautified' Betty. I would have loved if they left her the beauty she already possessed and for him to find a way to beautify himself inside.
 

Hi Bonney. I usually restrict my Fea comments on the board because I tend to go overboard. But since you started it (jiji), I'll give you my take on a few of your points. You said "Betty" so I assume you mean the Colombian. I'll use the names from the Mexican since most of the folks on this board know that one better. The events are the same except as noted.

1. "a young woman .. blindly obsesses with a pretty face."
I say it wasn't the pretty face. Cap 1, she comes home from being hired, and she's all dreamy when she tells Tomas, "Don Fernando defended me!" Repeatedly she is overwhelmed when he protects her. It doesn't hurt that he's rich, guapo, and charming. But what won her heart is that he defended her. Nobody ever had, except her father (Tomas tried but failed miserably).

2. "She was aware but did not care .. engaged to another woman, .. lacked a concience, etc."
Yes and no. She was in love but it was an impossible dream, so she never made any moves. When he tried to start the romance, he had to overcome a storm of objections from her. So she did take Marcia into account, and couldn't accept being an amante. But her emotions soon dominated her will and she gave in. At that point, I agree, she did what she knew was wrong, and her love totally blinded her to all his faults. OTOH, in that blindness she saw the part of Fernando that no one else saw, the "higher self" that was being overruled by the other priorities in his life. Hippy Ed (in the Mex) saw Fern's higher self too, and tried hard to bring out that higher self. But it would take fire to purify that hidden gold.

After her world crashed, she came to her senses. She still loved him, but
A. she knew she caused her own destruction because she got involved with an engaged man. After that, she refused ALL his advances until Marcia told her the truth and essentially gave her the green light.
B. she knew that he was a perpetual liar, so she didn't believe anything he said.
So as a result of her suffering, her pergatory, she fixed her two errors, going with an attached man, and being blind to his faults.

3. "The irony maybe unintentionally was he was ugly."
Absolutely. That was a recurring theme in Fea. Beautiful outside and ugly inside, Beautiful inside and ugly outside. You see it not only in Lety and Fern, but also Irmita, Alicia and Luigi.

4. "They had 'beautified' Betty. I would have loved if they left her the beauty she already possessed."
I agree on this one. The Colombian made her Bella while she was away, and Michel did not fall for her until the makeover had begun. Armando didn't work on winning her back until after she was beautiful. That bugged me.
BUT in the Mexican, the makeover wasn't until the third-to-last episode. Aldo fell for the fea, Fern was perdidamente enamorada with the fea, and he sacrificed ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING (including any chance of a life with her) for her sake while she was still fea. The makeover had no bearing on their love story.

5. "for him to find a way to beautify himself inside."
He did. After he read her diary and finally fully realized the unbearable suffering he had caused, he started changing. He started shedding his sins one by one. Again, Gaitán's fabulous character development - you can see the moment when he overcomes each specific character flaw. In fact, you see it better in the Mex because they devote 10 cap's to Fern in NY, and that's where most of the transformation took place. Whereas we don't see Armando on his trip; we just see him come back changed.
 

Deep waters here and since I have not seen any version of Fea, I won't comment.

I too am not fond of the love at first sight plot device but I dislike other ones much more especially the 'beautiful girl of humble origins falls in love with rich guy and his family oppose the relationship.'

However, this novela (based on what he know from Zoraida's reading of the coffee grounds, not spoiler) is not about Jade's romance with Lucas. It's about Jade's romance with Lucas' clone. Jade's romance with Lucas has got to be quick because I'm assuming/guessing that he's not going to be around very long and his clone zygote or whatever is going into Dora's uterus. We'll have to see how Jade and Lucas 2.0 develop their relationship.

As for Leo, I assume we're going to get some back story about why he is acting so weird but maybe not.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder