Wednesday, March 24, 2010

El Clon #27, 3/23. Around her hair she wore a yellow ribbon.

Jade and Lucas meet in the street. Extended gazes. Said and Marisa step up to their spouses, without realizing what just happened. Said says he’ll spend all his money to make Jade beautiful, and Marisa wants to do the same - spend all Lucas’s money on herself.

Random scene, Ali is fighting with one of his wives. He in Spanish and she in Arabic. Later Abdul arrives to mediate. He proves that Ali has given the same amount of gold to each. Alone, Abdul asks why Ali doesn’t divorce the contentious one, and Ali says he’s getting close to that. Zoraida sees that Jade is hiding the phone book so she takes it and tells Jade that she will/does tell Ali everything. (The verb is in present tense, but that can be used for near future as well.)

At the hotel, Marisa complains about the heat. She wants to stop at the store to buy some tee-shirts for her friends, as gifts from her travels. Did I say tee shirts? I meant jewelry. And one more stop while they’re out - she wants to take him to the cleaners. Lucas tries to call Jade but Zoraida answers so he hangs up. Jade tells Zoraida that she saw Lucas in the streets. She’s sure he came looking for her.

Said walks in as Jade is trying to get the phone book from Zoraida. Jade turns on Zoraida and tells Said that she’s causing trouble. (Zoraida is Jade’s protector, provider, and the only one on her side. Jade has just sold her down the river to cover herself. Not smart, Tutz!) “I just wanted to get my hair cut to look beautiful for you, Darling.” Said is delighted. Jade gets out of the house and ditches Zoraida. Meanwhile Lucas ditches Marisa, claiming to go to the company attorney’s office.

Luisa tells Frankenalbi that he needs to stop spending so much time with Daniel. She’s fed up, and Dora is getting fed up too. Dora gets a call from Albi, and she tells him she wants to take her son out, ALONE. Albi says, Sure, I’ll come by and pick you up in 15 minutes.” Vicky warns Dora that if she doesn’t stand up to Albi, he’ll take her son from her.

Don’t you just love Jade’s “prayer”? “Allah, protect Zoraida and the others I’ve put in danger. I just want to be happy.” Well bless her heart. “Bring Lucas to me. I want to be with him forever.” In other words, “Allah, please bless my adultery and help me to abandon my husband and cause Lucas to leave his wife.” I don’t remember that one in any of the creeds. Sure enough, Lucas arrives.

She asks him why he didn’t meet her in Miami. He simply says, “I was late” but he doesn’t answer the “why?” part. She had hoped that he would interrupt her wedding, and he says he felt really, really awful. Doesn’t that count the same as actually doing something? He tells her how much he suffered for her, so she asks him why he married Marissa. Good question. “Well, you did it first!” Bad answer. She points out that she was forced to marry (not quite true; Ali told Jade he would not force her to marry), but Lucas married because he wanted to. Lucas tells her that he was lost without her, and he never stopped thinking about her kisses and her beauty. Jade is delighted. These two really deserve each other. He starts to undress her. Cut to later. She tells him she has committed countless sins for him, and one day she will pay for them. She tells him that if they are discovered, Said can have her killed or given 100 lashes (resulta igual). But all that matters is seeing him.

At the big house, Leo gives a minion an envelope for Cristina, but she gives it back to the minion and tells him that as far as she’s concerned, Leo doesn’t exist. But then she changes her mind and keeps it.

Said comes to Ali’s house to take her to the airport, but Ali says she hasn’t been there for hours.

As they’re getting dressed, Lucas explains to Jade that he didn’t know whether he’d find her, and his wife is along on the trip, so, gee whiz, honey, it’s been fun, and I’ll come back to pick you up just as soon as I can. As we hear strains of… what’s the classic song, where the woman wanders around town, waiting for the man who promised he’d come back for her? All I can think of is the GI cadence, “Yellow Ribbon,” (lyrics below) but I know there’s another one. He says, “I know I’ve failed you many times in your escape attempts, but Baby I love you.” She’s had enough. “Sueltame!” she says. “I finally realized, you’re incapable of sacrificing anything for me. I was a fool to believe you. If we don‘t run a way now, you‘ll never see me again.” He begs two weeks; he can’t just leave Marisa in a foreign country. Jade reminds him that he left her waiting TWICE. But he can’t do the same to his wife? Good point. He suggests that he hide her in a hotel for a week, while he takes Marisa back to the states and returns for her. No way. She tells him to do what he needs to do, and she will wait here at the ruins until dawn. After that, bye, bye baby. He tries to embrace her, but she won’t let him; she tells him to do what he needs to do first. Gee, if she had done that BEFORE having sex with him, maybe she’d be on the plane by now!

Zoraida knows it’s time to face the music. She returns to the house and goes down on her knees to face the men. She tells them Jade escaped. Ali’s look says, “Not again!” Said has steam pouring out his ears. Said is afraid she was kidnapped, so he dashes out to tell the police. This worries Ali, but he turns his attention to Zoraida. “She went after Lucas, right?” He swears that if he finds her he will give her the punishment the law demands, even if it breaks his heart. Zoraida tells Ali that she thinks Jade meets Lucas at the ruins.

Cristina shows her prize to Vicky - a check for ten thousand dollars. Vicky is surprised Cris will accept it (but not VERY surprised), since Cris said she’d rather die of hunger than accept anything from Leo. To quote Dr. McCoy, “I was drugged then, Jim.” Cris points out that this is Leo’s apology, and it would be rude to reject an apology. Cris decides to use the money to market her own line of beauty products. After all, what woman wouldn’t want to look like Cris?

Mohamed, Latifa, and Nariza are at the mall. This is a funny sequence! Osvaldo spots Nariza and checks her out, very interested. Then he turns and sees Dora with Daniel and Frankenalbi. Osvaldo points out the obvious, that Danny doesn’t look a bit like him. A few stores later, Mohammed decides to buy his gazelle a bikini for his eyes alone, and Ozzie sets his eyes on Nariza once again. Notice how silent she is when she’s trying to attract a man? Proof: she can stop that mouth when she’s motivated. Ozzie tells her, “You’re wrapped up just like a present.” Mo is indignant that these westerners won’t haggle with him. The noive! Nariza flirts with Osvaldo a little more before she has to leave. He’s enchanted by the mystery woman.

Lucas gets back to the hotel and Marisa lays into him. Did you see her? Yes. Lucas tries to explain. “I believe we got married without thinking about it.” No, duh! He says they were both mourning Diego, and they confused nostalgia with love. He wants a divorce. She says, “You mean you want to leave me to be with that filth?” She also tells him, “I love you. And you’re a loser. You’re not half the man Diego was.” He says, “We don’t have anything that unites us, only things that separate us. This marriage is finished.” She throws a fit and he throws her on the bed. She turns cold again and says, “Did you only see her, or did you get busy with her?” He says nothing happened, but he defends himself, that she always knew he loved Jade. She starts beating on him, and being a gentlemen, he can’t strike back. He says he loves Jade and intends to spend the rest of his life with her.

Here is the cadence, “She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.”
My boots traveled many miles to that tune.

Around her hair she wore a yellow ribbon
She wore it in the springtime
In the merry month of May
And if you ask her why the heck she wore it
She wore it for her soldier who was far far away

Around the block she pushed a baby carriage
She pushed it in the springtime
In the Merry month of May
And if you ask her why the heck she pushed it
She pushed it for her soldier who was far far away

Behind the door her daddy kept a shotgun
He kept it in the springtime
In the merry month of May
And if you ask him why the heck he kept it
He kept it for her soldier who was far far away

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks, Paula. Wow..the best pickup line ever : ''You're wrapped up just like a present.'' That Osvaldo is a piece of work. I am getting really tired of Jade. Said should just let her go and find a girl who appreciates him. Basta.
 

Fantastic recap, Paula. I laughed out loud. You got an episode where something actually happened - even though they were silly things.

Lucas and Jade deserve each other. Lucas has the freedom to act but he won't do it. Jade is putting herself and others in terrible risk for acting and she does it anyway.

Ditto to all we said yesterday about Dora and Frankenalbi. I'd get a restraining order.

Osvaldo and Nariza - the perfect couple. That was a hoot. He doesn't know where she is staying but I'm sure they will find each other again in the giant city of Miami.

Hee hee, I'm sure most women want to look like Cristina. $10K isn't much to start a business. But logic doesn't work in TN's. When we hurtle forward in time again, Cris will either be dead broke or a millionaire.

I assume that the sudden appearance of Ali's wives is because they are now going to be part of the story. I guess the one without a veil is going to be the one that takes part in the story. It would be so nice if Ali married Zoraida. I hope it he doesn't marry Nariza.

No Clon tonight. There's a soccer game.
 

I just love your transcritions and comments... and have the same opinions most of the times.

Thanks for the effort!
 

Today's Spanish Word of the Day was appropriate to our story. I wonder if they're watching El Clon.

látigo, noun, whip.

If you add the suffix -azo to látigo you get the word latigazo which means a blow from a whip, a lash:
Recibió cien latigazos.
He got a hundred lashes.

More cheerfully, in Spain a latigazo is an informal word for a drink, or a shot of drink.
un latigazo de grappa
a shot of grappa
 

Great recap, Paula! I loved your characterization of Jade's "prayer." I must say, though, that although she showed herself to be immature and self-centered, her prayer was just about the only time I remember her showing any concern or even awareness of anyone other than herself. Little steps for little paws.

Was anyone else struck by the absurdly inappropriate outfit Marisa was wearing on the street in Morocco? She might as well have been parading around naked. You'd think that since Lucas was supposedly in Morocco on company business, he'd be somewhat concerned that his wife dress in a manner that wasn't so likely to make everyone think/know that she's a mujerzuela.
 

Thanks for the recap, Paula.

I guess I'm completely out of synch with everyone else here. I'm touched by the love between Lucas and Jade. And I think they've clearly shown the reasons Lucas acts as he does. He has always been the indecisive one who really needed Diego to make the two of them an effective pair of brothers. He's only being who he's always been, including being too soft hearted to just grab Jade and leave Marisa to stew in her own juices.

I'm enjoying the novela a lot. But everyone else here is so critical of these two that reading the recaps and comments isn't fun for me any more. So I guess I'll just watch and not read.
 

Yes, J, I agree. We can't call that dress a broccoli band because broccoli bands are blue. I wonder if rhubarb bands are that color.
 

Novelera, I hope you'll reconsider your decision not to continue with this discussion. I really appreciate your messages, and I bet others do, too. And who knows--you may help us to see Lucas and Jade in a more positive light.
 

Don't leave us, novelera. I'm sure things will resolve one way or the other.
 

Novelera, please don't go. So often you say what I'm thinking and answer questions I've been thinking. Yes, I find we are not in agreement on these two characters but I still want to hear what you're thinking.
And usually after I vent my frustrations or dislike for certain characters I wipe them from my radar and am nolonger saying negative things.
 

Paula, thanks for stellar recap as always.
Personally, if I don't like what the character is doing, I find it helps to blame the writers. The character, after all, is an innocent victim!
Joan
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder