Friday, March 26, 2010

El Clon #28, 3/25, Judgment Day

Lucas tells Marisa that he married for querer, and he thought that over time it would turn into love, but he can’t lie any more. It’s over. She starts beating on him again and he leaves. She screams at the door shut in her face, “You’ll pay for this.” She leaves and walks through the market. How is it that in Miami, Mohammed is still appalled by the barely-dressed bimbos. He should be a bit used to them by now. But in a Moroccan market, no one stares at Marisa in her rhubarb-band dress.

Jade waits and waits at the ruins and remembers her time with Lucas. They said, “We’ll die together.” Said just might see to that. He and Ali’s men go through the marketplace searching for Jade.

Albieri goes to Leo’s house to get the childhood photos of Diego. He tries to avoid Leo, to no avail. Leo heard that he’s raising a child, but Albi says it’s his godson and he only sees him now and then. Leo asks how long Albi’s been seeing Cris. Albi says he’d never dare see Leo’s novia, and besides, he’s married. Leo says, “She’s not my novia, y me importa un comino what she does with her life.” I love that phrase! It’s as important to me as one cumin seed. They also say, “Me importa un pepino (one pickle).” But my favorite is Don Hermes’ “No me importa, ni cinco!” Leo tells Albi that he has changed and avoids him, and so that’s proof that Albi is seeing Cris. Call Sherlock. Tell him his job is safe.

Albi leaves. Leo screams after him (lots of screaming at slammed doors in this cap), “I won’t forgive disloyalty.” I think we’ve hit upon Leo’s fatal flaw. He is the center of his universe, and he expects to be at the center of everyone else’s universe as well. He doesn’t care, ni cinco, what happens to anyone else (e.g. when his son fell in love), but anyone who doesn’t put Leo first is committing a sacrilege.

Albi goes home and takes Diego’s photos off the fridge. Luisa asks why and comments how much Daniel looks like Diego. Dora runs across Osvaldo at the dance club and threatens to bust his face if he ever again insults her baby again. Too bad Dora doesn’t save any of that backbone for Albieri.

In Morocco, Abdul points out that Zoraida said Jade escaped. He tells Said that he will not permit t her to shame his family any farther; Said needs to reject her. I’ve been thinking. Shame, by definition, is the opposite of pride. And pride is a sin. Whereas I don’t see anywhere that being shamed is a sin. Just sayin’. Ali counsels Said to accept his fate.

Earlier, Ali was ready to give Jade lashes himself if she had committed a great haram, but he’s not willing to accept any premature judgment. He warns that Abdul is defaming his niece without evidence, and he who defames an innocent woman is subject to a punishment of 80 lashes. Abdul says that the fact she escaped is, in itself, a scandal. Said just listens to the debate, distressed for the woman he loves. Abdul insists on calling Mohammed, despite Said’s protests. Mohammed takes the call, then reports to the women that Said escaped. Latifa is sure Jade would never do such a thing. Nariza is sure she ran away with the westerner. All she wanted from Said was his money. Latifa starts to cry and asks if Mohammed is going to send her back to her family. Mohammed doesn’t answer. Nariza continues, one bad apple spoils the bunch, and besides, she’s barren. Latifa cries in her room and curses the day Jade came into her life. Mo wants to go to her, but Nariza tells him he needs to man up and show his wife who’s boss. Actually he needs to show his sister who’s boss.

Marisa tells Lucas’ associate that Lucas left, she doesn’t know where, and she doesn’t care about their contract signing. In Miami, Enrique tries to suggest to Leo that maybe Albi is innocent. He’s been acting strange with everyone since Diego died. Leo takes the call from the associate and finds out his son has disappeared in Morocco. Leo is very worried.. about the contract. Enrique says he offered to accompany Lucas, but Leo won’t trust him with any responsibility. Rosa recommends they call Albi’s friend in Morocco.

Julio tries to counsel Albi, that Luisa is depressed, perhaps because due to his remoteness or lack of affection. He hesitantly suggests that maybe it was a mistake to marry her, but Albi disagrees. He thinks they are both happy and she makes a good addition to his life. Julio asks why he has been so distant with her. He suggests that even a little effort from Albi would make Luisa very happy. Cristina comes bouncing in, sees Albi, and is eager to tell him about her new business. He congratulates her with a hug, and of course at that moment Leo enters and sees them. Leo is about to turn and leave, but Ric reminds him he came to get Ali’s phone number. He leaves and tells Cris to forget he exists.

In Morocco, there is some fracas in the market, and Lucas has been detained by police who are dressed like zoomies (Air Force personnel). He says he’s a tourist and shows them his passport, so they let him leave. (What was the purpose of this scene?) Jade is still waiting at the ruins, but men come up and drag her back to Ali‘s house. Then Lucas runs there and doesn’t find her, but he finds her jade necklace. He realizes he has missed her again, and screams, loud enough to wake the dead, GAVIOTA!!! Oops, wrong show. JADE!!!

Abdul tells Said and Ali that she’s been found, in a store, but they dragged her back because she didn’t want to return. Why does he say it was a store if they found her in the ruins? Abdul tells Ali, “It’s very sad for a man to see his house covered in shame.” Ali answers, “What’s sad is seeing a religious man making accusations against a woman when he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.” Abdul advises Said that the law permits that he can ask for the entire dowry to be returned.

Albi informs Cris that Leo thinks she’s in a relationship with him, Albieri. I love Cristina’s reaction: Say whaaaat??? Then she’s delighted. If he’s jealous, it means he still loves her. Albi looks at her like she’s nuts. El burro hablando de orejas.

They drag Jade in, and Ali and Abdul start browbeating her. She admits, “Yes, I escaped.” She spins a yarn, that her jewelry was stolen in the market, and she was afraid to face Said, so she ran away, and intended to flee the country without telling anyone. Then she got lost in the market. Zoraida, in a whisper, warns Jade that she will be condemned on judgment day for such a lie. Jade says she doesn’t want to die young, and she’s sure Allah will understand. Abdul thinks the story is not supported well enough, and she should get the lashes. Ali says she can only be condemned with four witnesses. So they talk to the men who dragged her in.

In her room, Jade is upset because she lost the money. It was in her clothing, and she’s sure it fell when they dragged her in. I think we’re missing some scenes here. First, that the men said they found Jade in a store. Now, Zoraida asks Jade, “Are you sure they didn’t see Lucas? If you heard him (the scream), maybe they did too.” Jade is thrilled that Lucas came. It means that he left everything for her. Then she realizes she lost her jade necklace.

Jade goes to receive her sentence. Ali says there is no evidence so she will not be condemned. Other than that, it’s up to Said’s family. Said is greatly relieved. But Abdul says that Said should give her a correction, a golpee (blow). He says that the law dictates it, but not enough to cripple her. Ali disputes this. He says Mohammed said you should never hit a woman. Said interrupts their debate and says that his judgment is that he will leave her bed. He will leave her sleeping without her husband. Abdul takes the call from Enrique in the US. He reports to the others, “They want to know if Lucas is here.” Said whips his head around to glare at Jade.

Labels:


Comments:
Excellent recap, as usual, Paula.

I enjoyed the scene where Enrique tells Cris that Leo thinks she has a relationship with Albieri because Cris told Leo that she was getting it on with one of his friends. It looked like she was going to say that she just made that up to make Leo jealous but then she just says that she never said that the friend was Albieri. Maybe she didn't realize that Leo doesn't have any other friends.

It was also absolutely typical that but for Enrique, Leo's stupid jealousy of Albieri would have kept him from getting Ali's number to try and find his missing son

It was also super clear in last night's episode that Leo is much taller than Albieri. Is it evidence of Leo's wackiness that no matter what Cris says about her supposed boyfriend, Leo thinks that it is Albieri or just sloppy writing?

There was definitely something missing in the Jade/Lucas scenes. I assume that Lucas being detained in the market was to make him late (again) to fetch Jade.

But why Ali's men who found her in the ruins said that she was in a shop is a mystery. It was clear that Ali was trying to save Jade. Did he tell his men to lie (a sin) and say that Jade was in a shop?

Then there's Lucas' scream. There was no indication that Jade heard it but Zoraida says that if she heard it then maybe the men heard it, too. It's only when Zoraida says that that Jade seems to realize that Lucas did come for her. Why wouldn't she have concluded that Lucas had come for her when she heard the scream? Sloppy writing or editing here.

Jade looked pretty happy when Said said that her punishment was that he wouldn't come to her bed.
 

I thought he was saying he would confine her to her bedroom. Thank you for clarifying what he said. Maybe Said will take on another wife?!! Wha-hoo!!!
How long will it take for the women of the families to get an clue(!), and convince the men to marry off Nari!
When you put it as you did in this recap, it is the writing and editing that is agitating me. I find myself saying during the commercial breaks, Huh?? and Whaa.a??. The show comes back and I still don't get-it. Thank you again for the great write-ups Paula.
 

Okay, I've pulled together observations by Jean, the folks on TNW, and su servidor. Last night's cap definitely had some eddies in the space-time continuum, to quote Ford Prefect. I think several scenes were cut out, and we could recognize them by the hole they left. Here are things we did NOT see, but the script read as if we DID see them.

1. Jade heard the scream
2. Jade lost her money
3. Jade told Z that she heard the scream (at some point BEFORE Z said, "Since you heard the scream...")
4. the men had some reason to say they found her in a store
5. There was a reason the police were detaining people
6. The police detained Lucas for longer. Back in Miami when Marisa detained Lucas and he missed Jade at the beach, Marisa kept him for a long time. But last night, it seemed like the police kept him for only a moment, not enough to build suspense. I think originally there was more to it.

I suspect that one of the missing puzzle pieces is that Jade bribed the men to say she was in a store. That would explain their lie, and her losing her money. That seen probably was shot but cut.

Jean, watch out. When they cut scenes like that, sometimes it's to condense three caps into two, o algo así. You might have more eddies in the S/T continuum tonight.
 

Oops. scene. not seen. i kan spel. i just kant tipe.
 

OK. Snit over. After reflection I realized that, of course, there's always differences of opinion about characters on Caray, Caray. For whatever reason, I'm finding myself very fond of Jade, more than Lucas. But I do like them both. However, their relationship sure appears doomed.

Thanks for the great recap, Paula. It was SO well done.

Talk about not liking characters. I can't even stand to see Leo on screen. They've written him as absolutely stupid. And his throwing his son to the wolves at the slightest sign of trouble was reprehensible. After all, Lucas didn't even want to go to Morocco. It was pig-headed Leo who precipitated the whole Jade/Lucas/Marisa fiasco. He expresses no concern for his son's welfare, only anger that he isn't an efficient businessman.

Paula, you are so right. Dora needs to light into Albieri with some of the fire she showed for Osvaldo.

Yes, I noticed the little half smile on Jade's face when Said said he would "punish" her by making her sleep along. He's pretty obsessed with her, so I wonder how long that will last.

Is there even a tiny chance Marisa will go back to her own digs? Of course she'll return to the opulent mansion to make trouble for the longest time possible.
 

I keep waiting for them to fill in the notes on exactly who Marisa was before coming to the funeral. Does she come from money and family name? We already know that the defunct Diego was not reserved about dallying with the loose women but I don't know that Marisa was one of those or a spoiled brat. Maybe the 20 seconds on her background got cut too %-}

Is Jade pregnant yet!?!! In MY script she gets pregnant and 20 years later her daughter meets Lucas2. Just imagine! Frankenalbi will loose his mind (!) trying to prevent those two from marrying...a blood test (opposed by Jade, Zoraida (also loosing her mind) and a few others maybe) will show something really VERY STRANGE about their ADN. And we are Caray will discuss 'are they siblings'.
 

I'm so glad Lucas really stood his ground w/ Marisa; even though it wouldn't matter for the next 20yrs. For a while there, I thought he wouldn't get through her thick skull, then she did pack up and leave for Miami - whew! what IS up with her hair color? it's coming out orange on my tv - is it just me? all the other characters hair are just fine.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Jean, I agree with you about Jade being thoughtless about the risk to Zoraida. I just think she's madly in love and just can't put anyone's welfare ahead of that impulse.

But I've been annoyed all along by the presumption that Latifa's marital happiness is connected to Jade's behavior. Why oh why should Jade have to endure a loveless marriage for whiny Latifa's sake? Plus, I don't think Mohammed would return her under any circumstances.
 

Excellent comments, all.

I am very familiar with episodes being cut up with resultant problems with the plot. When I recapped La Traición, someone in Israel posted an 8 minute scene that was cut from Episode 10 in the US broadcast but shown in Israel. After La Tra ended, I went back and did very detailed recaps of those early episodes. I matched the Israeli and US versions of the episode line by line and there were many, many things cut, sometimes only a few seconds. I incorporated the missing material in the recap. You can see the result:

La Traición Episode 10


But back to El Clon. I like Jade but it bothers me that she just never thinks about how what she is doing is putting Zoraida's life in danger and threatening Latifa's marriage.

Having experienced the good life, I don't think there is any chance that Marisa will return to wherever she lived in Daytona. For sure, Leo will take her side especially if she gets home first and gives him her version of what happened.
 

I hear what you're saying, novelera, and I know that there is no reasoning with TRUE LOVE but Jade could at least show some sympathy for the people whose lives she is destroying before she goes ahead and does it anyway.
 

Thanks, Paula. Another great recap. Thanks too for the dicho "El burro hablando de orejas." I'd never heard/seen that before.

I'm afraid to comment right now, since I was out last night and so watched both last night's episode (the one recapped here) and tonight's episode at almost the same time, and I can't remember what was in which episode. I don't want to give anything away, but I do think tonight's episode will show Jade in a more positive light.

Bonney churros, when I read your "script" I thought "Of course! Why didn't I think of that!" I've probably been focused too much on Zoraida's predictions from the tea leaves, and so I've been trying to figure out how Jade will meet Lucas's clone 20 years later. It makes much more sense to think that Jade's daughter will meet Lucas's clone, with all the complications that would involve.
 

Here is a link to my page of dichos. I've been learning a few more lately; I need to add them.

I do love dichos. They are a fun way to expand my Spanish, and they are a wonderful window into the culture. Here's my favorite recent one: Los burros por delante. The donkeys go in front. A donkey is rude and low class, so you say it when someone is putting himself first - he's acting like a burro.
 

Paula, thanks for the page of dichos - looks really interesting.

If I recall correctly, you mentioned the origins of some of the languages - e.g. Indo-European. If I may ask, have you studied this intensively.

Many, many years ago I was trained as Latin teacher so I am also interested in languages. I even made an attempt to learn Arabic and learnt some of the basics. But I have no background in the vocabulary so that was a lot of learning!

I was highly offended when I first came to the USA and was told that "learnt" was incorrect. It should be learned. Well one says a house was built - not builded. So languages are interesting to me.

Lynne
 

Hi Lynne. I'm a language person. I've learned Spanish, studied 2 others, and dabbled in 2others. I LOVE the study of linguistics, but I wouldn't say I've gone in depth, only listening to two Teaching Company lectures. My favorite author is Simon Winchester whose use of English is breathtaking. And I wrote two curriculum books on Latin and Greek roots.

I tend to categorize everything, so I want to know how languages are related. I can appreciate your trouble with Arabic because it's not Indo-European. I had the same trouble with Korean. The grammar is a cinch, but the vocabulary is a monster because it's so very foreign, like Arabic.
 

Thanks Paula, I will watch out for books by Simon. I'm actually South African by origin though most Americans think I'm British. I can't lose my accent.

For political reasons, I had to learn Afrikaans, a Dutch dialect at school. We had to start in the first grade so I am still fluent in it. This has made the study of the Germanic languages easier for me. As English is a Germanic language in its roots, I can usually tell if a word has a Germanic or Latin origin .. if its one of those. Nowadays English is a global language.

Lynne
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder