Saturday, March 06, 2010

Gancho Friday March 5th Choices

Choices. In real life, we have choices, but we often have plenty of time to decide what to do. At least with things that matter. But life in a telenovela is compressed. The tension is heightened. Many of our characters are going through difficult times. A parent (or two) arrives out of the blue. There’s impossible (or improbable) love. There are jealousy and feelings of abandonment. Secrets are being kept for fear of losing love. Lies are being told. Tonight, many of our characters have decided to choose. But not wisely.

Which brings to mind a choice for me. Should I get all bent out of shape as each character veers off course? Should I sympathize with their plight? They’re so innocent and cute, Moni, Aldo, Luisa, Rolu (okay, not Rolu). Should I try to understand how difficult it is for them? Nah! Not tonight. They deserve what they get (oh you mean Hombre).

We begin our slippery slide into syrupy sappiness in the hospital waiting room, where Nieves caringly tells Monita she loves her like a daughter, unlike Isabel, who abandoned her. Moni replies, Isabel gave me life – not you.

Aldo is pleading with Estrella to get married, but Estrella just feels that it won’t work, that Aldo’s too impulsive, having allied with the onerous Oscar just to achieve his goal. Mauricio urges Aldo to return to the family fold, but when Aldo balks, he tells Aldo he MUST obey his father. Aldo refuses, boldly stating that Mauricio is NOT his father. Bad Aldo!

Jacqui is consoling Luisa, who’s worried about Aldo. Coni comes in to turn the screws a bit. Let’s see, she tells Luisa sarcastically, you lost your parents, Mauricio’s no longer your adopted father, and just imagine if you lost your brother. Hmmm, it looks as if you’re becoming more and more alone. Too bad! As Luisa rushes off tearfully, Coni bites into an apple (just as Hissabel did the other day). Jacqui’s remonstrations do nothing to dampen Coni’s palpable appetite for destruction. She’s having fun!


Mauricio (we should call him Mauricio Sermon – Yo, he likes to pontificate so much) was really hurt by Aldo’s declaration (you can tell because the corners of his mouth are down, instead of straight across), and he, Aldo and Estrella have walked outside of the courthouse. Aldo explains why he said Mau wasn’t his father. Well, like Man, the judge ordered it. And you know what else? I have these papers in my hands, signed by Constanza, so I can do whatever I like! Mauricio doesn’t care about no stinkin’ judge or papers, he IS Aldo’s father, and he stopped the wedding for Aldo’s own good. This doesn’t quite impress Aldo, who decides to give his own little sermon, about choice. He didn’t choose to be an orphan. He didn’t choose for Mauricio to adopt him, and certainly not that La Momia would later become his adopted mother. The only thing he chose in life was Estrella. And you’re taking away the one thing I love. That’s something I’ll never forgive. He runs off. Mauricio starts to pursue, but at this precise moment, Estrella doubles over in pain from her pregnancy, and Mauricio stops to see if she’s okay. Fortunately, Aldo has assured us all how mature he is, so I’m pretty confident he won’t get into any trouble. He’s probably just going down to the bank to open up a new IRA.

Nieves tries to reason with Moni, gently reminding her that Isabel abandoned her. Oh sure, says Moni, because that bum that you loved, that you still love, despite his leaving you at the altar, FORCED my Mom to leave me. Nieves says look into my eyes, I’m sorry to tell you this, but your Mom is lying. This throws Moni into a rage, no, no, no, I don’t want to hear it, why don’t you all just leave! Cesar thinks that’s best. Nieves agrees, but reminds Moni that she’ll be there if Moni needs her. Beto gets very serious, reminds Moni that Nieves cares deeply for her, and there will come a time when Moni’s going to need them more than ever. Believe me, he adds for emphasis. Moni is completely confused at this point. Fortunately, she’ll have Isabel to straighten out everything a few paragraphs from now.

I can’t take it. Everything is so melodramatic. It’s just so, so, so, so, so melodramatic and so, so, so, wait a minute – it’s time for Kissing 101! Let’s head over to Xime’s for some more of her anti-fear-of-intimacy training with Arnie. Xime apologizes for the kiss thing, pretends to flagellate herself over her shoulder as penance, but says this course is necessary, so Arnie can freely share with his significant other. In fact, once this course is over, Arnie might even share his toothbrush! Oh, no, not that, did you know how many microbes - well, anyway, Xime says we’ll go step by step, and the next step is how to greet people, with a handshake and a kiss on the cheek. Oh no, says Arnie, PLEASE not THAT. (I think the melodrama is catching).

A nice doctor tells Isabel she can go home, and Alicia is overjoyed. Moni looks confused, and when Isabel asks what’s wrong, says she talked with Nieves. Isabel correctly surmises that Nieves trashed her, but pretty soon, everyone, Nieves, Beto, Mauricio, everyone else will realize they were wrong about me (yeah, right). The only thing that matters is that Valentina and she are together. She kisses Moni’s hand.

Speaking of hands, Xime’s ready for Arnie’s greetings therapy. She pretends she’s just running into Arnie, Hi, Arnie, how nice to see you, reaches out her hand, and Arnie hesitates, then grabs it. Sparks fly,


as either we have static electricity or the writers from FELS finally got new jobs after last year’s fiasco. No matter, next up is the cheek kiss. She kisses him lightly on the cheek,


and boom! He faints again.

Luisa is harta (fed up) with living with Coni, and wants to live with Ivan and Teresa. She’s at their place, tears spilling out, as Tere urges her to go back home for now, and be patient. Mauricio’s fighting for you, but the legal procedures are slow and bothersome (engorrosos). Ivan also thinks it’s best to go back for now. Luisa feels this means he doesn’t love her, and she storms out like a mixed up teenager. Oh right, that’s what she is.

Okay, now we’re really channeling FELS. The sun sets and it’s a full moon (which it always was on that show). We’re at the teen club, and Andrés is at the mike. He’s singing a new song he wrote, and it’s all about Luisa. Luisa, it’s you, I miss you, I thought I had it all, why didn´t you call, but I was wrong, so I wrote this song, you’re my Luisa, I want to get into your camisa (okay I just made up that last part, but not by much), etc. etc. Yes, the boy can sing, but am I allowed to say the lyrics suck? However, as they say, it’s the feeling that counts, and he APPEARS to be feeling it. Luisa happens to have arrived at the club just in time for the song, and I guess if you’re 15 and some boy sings a song with your name, resistance is futile. Andrés notices her, and really pours it on thick, ending with Luisa, it’s you-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u, looking as if he’s cast the line, hooked the fish, and is just about to reel her in.


Meanwhile, our other troubled teen (Aldo) is wandering aimlessly through the streets (I guess the bank was closed), still clutching that consent form. He flashes back to the night in bed with Estre when she rated him 20 on a scale of one to ten, and when he assured her he’d take care of her and the baby. But it’s all gone now. Boo hoo.

Mau and Estrella are back in the vecindad, and Paula and Gabi are relieved to see Estre’s okay. Gabi tells Mau “I told you so” about Oscar being bad, and Mau agrees. The police are looking for him, and if he’s guilty of killing Salvador, he’ll pay. But for now, I have to talk to Estre in private (he’s been in private with her for the last 15 minutes at least, but let’s not quibble). They go into her flat, and that’s that. She insists she’s fine physically (I agree :)), and apologizes for not telling Mau about the pregnancy. But now, she says, he should try to win back Moni’s confidence, and also take care of Aldo, who must be upset. Why not call him now? Mau dials.

Well, Aldo’s made his choice. He’s back at the Ye Olde Drug Dealer’s creepy abode, itchin’ for some mind candy to deaden the pain. The Pusher Man says not to worry about cash for your stash, one Oscar Cárdenas has it covered. Here’s just what you need.

Paula and Gabi debate what to do to help Moni, then clam up when Moni arrives with Hissy and Alicia. Moni doesn’t look too happy when they greet her and Alicia, but say nothing to Isabel (who’s now wearing a light blue warm-up suit, probably borrowed from Moni, completely inappropriate to her snake image).


As Alicia goes to find Tere, Moni and Hissy enter Moni’s place, turn on the light, and there’s Marcos, who was just sitting there in the dark for the last hour (good way to inspire confidence, Marc). With a smile on his face, Marcos greets them. Good evening, Isabel. Good evening (he pauses for dramatic effect), daughter.

After the commercial, we’re transported to an elegant nightclub. Xime, Arnie and Rolu (in his wheelchair) are there, and a foxy blonde in a red dress just happens to be lit twice as much as any other patron, just so we won’t miss her. Very subtle, Mr. Director.


Anyway, I love Xime’s heart necklace (and matching earrings). She’s brought the boys here to continue Arnie’s training. The plan? Slow dancing. Dumping her purse in Rolu’s lap, she glides over to the dance floor, Arnie in tow, and starts her magic. This hand here, around my waist (en mi cinturita), and this one in my hand (en mi manita!). Things are going pretty well, although in the background, we see Rolu lift his glass to the foxy blonde (see above).

Back at Moni’s the dramatic music starts, as Moni challenges Marcos, what are you doing here? Well, he starts genially, the door was without a lock (sin candado), so I just decided to wait for you. And I noticed your championship boxing belt. I’m so proud of you. Moni’s not impressed. In fact, she’s enraged. I don’t want anything to do with you! Get out! She gets into her boxing stance in front of great big Marcos, who looks a bit befuddled

(he HAS been spending a lot of time around Mauricio, who’s pretty much patented that look).

Beto and Nieves discuss strategy, Beto advising they should keep a cool head, like beer (chelas).

And now for Isabel’s Academy Award performance. Or maybe the Vibora’s Choice Awards (she already has an “Oscar” in her back pocket). Voice quaking, she implores, she emotes. Marcos, leave. This time you won’t separate me from my daughter. I’m not afraid of you anymore. Please don’t HIT me again (Moni gasps). Not in front of my daughter. Moni’s enraged. How DARE you lay a hand on my mother, you coward! Marcos denies, but Isabel goes for the throat. You’ll never hurt me again, like those rapists you SENT to attack me! Now I’m not alone, I have my daughter. Isabel is hiding behind Moni, acting afraid and helpless. Moni is defiant. Marcos is speechless. (Me too).

Beto shows Nieves the card Marcos gave him, Marcos offered him a job, if he’s going to be with Constanzia. Beto’s gleeful, Nieves surprised, and Beto suggests, why doesn’t she pardon him? After all, he’s a millionaire, movie star looks, why not? Nieves can’t do it. For one thing, he and that hypocrite Isabel slept together (she says se encamaron, which you can see has the word cama in the middle). And they had a daughter, and stupid me (she calls herself bruta), I never even knew. I just can’t do it.

But over in the teen club, Andrés is hoping he CAN do it, with Luisa. They’re sitting at a table, she’s crying, she’s so sad, she really needs a friend, more than ever. She clasps his hands. But Andrés has other ideas, and pulls his hands away. He can’t give her friendship this time. He’s in love with her, so she has to CHOOSE. It’s Ivan or him, and not just as friends. She’s sobbing away, as he offers to give her a ride home. Our little fishy’s been reeled in, cleaned, put on the fryer smothered in oil, and is just about cooked.

It’s getting pretty hot over at the elegant nightclub, too, as Arnie wonders, do he and Xime have to dance so closely? Sipi, and now it’s time for the next step, cachete con cachete (cheek to cheek, wooo!) They both look pretty dreamy, but now Miss Foxy has come over to Rolu, they’ve done that greeting thing, and seem to have no fear of intimacy whatsoever. Arnie sees this, and wary of a live demonstration of Kissing 101 between Rolu and Foxy, begs Xime to get him a drink of water, he’s parched. She floats off to do his bidding.

Remember a LONG time ago when Estrella asked Mau to call Aldo? Well, it seems Mau couldn’t locate Aldo, and Luisa’s not home either, so he tells Estrella he’ll go home to figure out what to do next.

Outside Moni’s, she’s FURIOUS with Marcos, physically pushing him away, get out, get out! But here’s Mau, who was right outside, urging Moni to calm down. Marcos says it’s useless, Isabel has already brainwashed her (Isabel ya le lavó el cerebro). Mau says he loves her, but Moni won’t listen. How could Mau take the side of this liar, this wretch? Marcos says it’s better if he leaves. But sooner or later, he says to Moni, you’ll have to listen to me, daughter. I’m NOT your daughter, she screams. Get out! He leaves. Moni then spies Estrella, gives her a hug, is she okay? She is. Mau wants to talk, but Moni wants him to leave, too. He does, reminding her that he loves her. Estrella relates how she called off the wedding at the last minute, needs a hug, and Moni gives her one. They’ve both made choices. (The good thing is, they’re women, and they can always change their minds – Hombre’s ducking for cover now, I didn’t mean that!)

Rolu has hustled over to warn Rolu, what are you doing? Rolu, by the way, is standing up, just about to kiss Foxy. Okay, let’s say you’re Foxy Blonde’s (the actress’s) parent. She gets to look very pretty in that red dress. She gets to look surprised, amused, outraged, and look back and forth from Arnie to Rolu. But she doesn’t get to say one word! Of course you can tell your friends, my daughter got to hold Alex Sirvent’s hand for 12 seconds. I guess it’s a start. Did I mention that she’s pretty? Anyway, Arnie and Rolu spar a bit until Arnie tells Foxy did you know he’s married, and she’s off without a word. Rolu insists he wasn’t doing anything wrong, he loves Ximena. Then go over to her, WALK over to her, and ask her to dance, says Arnie. Rolu can’t, he’s afraid that’d be the end of his marriage. Arnie tells him there’s still time to repair the damage, to save the marriage, but the only way is to stop faking that you can’t walk, and confront the consequences, that’s it! Rolu has a big CHOICE to make, and buries his head in his hands.

Marcos is also doing this, waiting in a restaurant when Mauricio arrives to talk. Marcos can’t believe what’s happening. Mau has problems, too, although he does get a phone call from Jacqueline that both Luisa and Aldo are home now. He tells Marcos about how he stopped Aldo from marrying Estrella, and Luisa is very upset these days, but they’re his children. How can he protect them if he doesn’t have custody? He tells Marcos if you really want to show me you’re a good person, now is the time. Help me get back custody of my children. Well, this is no choice at all. Of course Marcos will get Mau’s children back to him. After all, he’s been very supportive in helping Marcos get back together with Valentina. So don’t worry about a thing. Very soon you’ll have custody of your children. That’s a promise.

And in Monday’s previews, we have even MORE choices. Ximena challenges Rolu to walk like a man. And Marcos tells his favorite corrupt judge he wants a do-over. But will Moral Mauricio approve? Also, Mauricio pulls out the big guns (his bare arms) and a dove, hoping to make love, not war.

Vocabulario:

Escoger – to choose, you can also use elegir, or seleccionar, if you so choose
Engorroso – bothersome
Candado – a padlock, sin candado would be unlocked, or without a lock
Chelas – beers
Se Encamaron – they “bedded” each other
Cachete con cachete – cheek to cheek. A cachetada is a slap on the cheek. Another word for cheek is mejilla
Le lavó el cerebro – brainwashed her (or him), has washed her brain, mine feels as if I went through the spin cycle after tonight’s episode

Labels:


Comments:
Good Morning Hombre. What a thoroughly enjoyable recap this is! There was a lot going on in yesterday's episode and you did a marvelous job explaining it all. I'll admit I had a few question marks over my head after watching last night. Your "choices" theme is perfect; I very much enjoy your lead-in analysis. I want to say you are a scholarly sort of recapper but that sounds too boring and your recaps never are. In fact, thankfully I have learned to set my cup of tea down while reading all recaps else I surely would have sprayed some all over my laptop while reading your version of Andres' song lyrics. Also, the pics you captured are perfect, you even got the spark! Nice job. Excellent recap, great new vocabulary words, this is a good start to the day. Thanks Hombre, you are a treasure.

Carlos, I don't wish to offend you, but Coni seemed nastier than ever last night. How are we going to redeem this woman who loves to torture kiddies but who makes every outfit look so fabulous?

-Sylvia, still thinking about Sandy's Lemon Meringue Pie
 

Basically want to "ditto" everything Sylvia said. You put so much careful thought into your recaps (or else you're just instantanously brilliant) You always find a unifying them and state it eloquently. But yes, a little manly raunch sneaks in there (song lyrics wise) so we won't characterize you as "scholarly". And some teasing to see if you can get us 'wimmin's' dander up, and so on.

Thought the dig about Mauricio's Sermonizing (really, maybe that IS why they named him Sermeño) was cute, as well as the quip about how we can tell he's upset because the corners of his mouth are turning down instead of being in a straight line.

Normally don't even look at the pictures (since I've seen the show) but found them especially enjoyable this time, and the more so because I know they give Diana,Deb and Vivi a chance to "see" some of the pivotal scenes they miss by being at work.

I'm not going to try and grapple with pictures myself, but appreciate that you and Carlos add them, and they ARE important now that we've been bumped to the afternoons.

Thanks for a well-written, engaging and entertaining recap. I'm all admiration, maestro.
 

PS Dang it, I'm still thinking about Sandy's lemon meringue pie as well. My mom was a master pie baker, and I make a pretty good fruit pie myself, but have never attempted lemon meringue so I have only the distant memory of my mama's. And now I waaaaaaaant some.
 

PPS EJ, Baylor's game is going to be broadcast on ESPN today. If it's shown in your area, might be a good time to watch and cheer on Carlos' team.
 

Sylvia and all the recappers,

I haven't even read the recap yet but I just want to say how much I appreciate having this & all the recaps. My VCR (or I) messed up yesterday and I would have been out of luck if I didn't have you to count on. Gracias!!!

And just after Arnie finally got his kiss -- what a time to miss an episode. Oh and let me put in a word for Tano again. I haven't seen if he is in this episode or not but I think he's a straight up guy who would be good for Estrella. Sorry all you Tanophobes.

Güera
 

Oops! I misread. It is Hombre that I thank for this particular recap. But I 'm still grateful to Y'all.

Güera
 

Hi Güera, thank you very much on behalf of all the recappers. It's nice to be appreciated.

I'm an admitted Tanophobe (love the term by the way) but I am allowed at the table if I bring a pot luck item.
 

I'm partial to Mole Chili if you're bringing potluck.

Hombre, now that I've read it I can say it is a masterful recap. I loved your analysis in the opening. Good catch on the biting of the apple by Coni & Issy. Lots of unspoken messages there.
There were too many gems to mention. I loved the suggestion that Aldo was just going off to the bank to open an IRA, not heading for trouble.The altered song lyrics.' Luisa storms out like a mixed up teen. Oh right thats what she is!" "Vibora's Choice Awards." Terrific from start to finish.

So sorry I missed the next desensitizing of Arnoldo but thanks for the pictures.

Gotta go. Half time of the SU game is allmost over. Can they carry on with that huge #1 target on their backs?

Güera
 

Sorry about Syracuse Güera. But March Madness is yet to come.
 

Thanks, JudyB, and better luck to Carlos' Baylor.

Güera
 

Well, I watching part of it and I must say Baylor's Tweetie (Tweety?) Carter has a most unusual build for a point guard. Looks like a little tank motoring up and down the floor but he's blastedly effective.

Interesting. Maybe Carlos can tell us more about the young man.
 

Wow. Baylor was awesome. A great senior day for Tweety Bird who is now my second favorite point guard after Evan Turner. (Sorry, Trevon Hughes, you've been demoted)
 

Hombre,

What a wonderful recap. A perfect title for this episode which indeed was chock full of mostly bad choices.You have definitely established an unmistakable delightful style which is Hombre de Misterio.

Is this not one of the most consistently, in every way, well written, well executed TNs ever. The writing is superb and the acting is unparalleled.

I've had a busy day. Up early to start simmering the cochinita pibil, put together the pickled red onions (apparently an important part of this dish. The Lovely Linda is mixing up xicama, pepino, bell pepper, cilantro, rice wine vinegar, and olive oil to get us started tonight. The kitchen smells like San Antonio's Mercado. I still haven't decided what we should drink withall this. Linda prefers wine, but beer just seem right.

Baylor beat Texas!We swept them this season and at one time they were ranked #1. I'm giddy. Judy, Tweety is our treasure. A basketball star who is playing out his college career and graduating. Evan Turner is OSU's amazing gazelle, Tweety is Baylor's graceful rhinoceros. I think today BU was playing far beyond it's ability. Hats off to our coach, Scott Drew who took a proram in disarray and brought it this far. Elna June, a day like today is why we love college basketball. Now bring on the conference tournaments as March Madness continues. Güera, sorry about Syracuse, but your future is of course still bright. Better today than on down the line.

Sandy, lemon meringue pie is my favorite. My Aunt Dorothy made her signature version for a recent family get together. What a wonderful blast from my childhood. I would love to taste yours.

Sylvia, I hope you are better. I saw that you tried my Rx. Maybe not curative, but definitely palliative.

Carlos
 

Well, this non basketball fan watched the last 5 minutes of the Maryland-Virginia game, and Maryland won again! We have a point guard named Greivis Vasquez, who apparently has set an all-time ACC record as the first person to get 2000 points, 700 assists and 600 rebounds in his career. And he lived in Venezuela until high school, so he speaks Spanish!
 

Elna June,
The conference tournaments are next. The winners of these, even if they've had bad seasons, will get into the NCAA Tournament (remember? The Big Dance). I'm pretty sure that Baylor secured a spot in the Big Dance today, as Judy's Ohio St., Güera's Syracuse, Mike's and Emelia's Kentucky, Sandy's (I know you've started watching) Tennesee, and probably Hombre's (a timid but developing fan) Maryland, have already done. I'm sorry if I've forgotten someone's fave, forgive me. We old folks forget stuff.

In order to keep this comment legitimate let me say, I thought that Aldo's flashbacks were the writers way of telling us that, though the Aldo and Estrella thing was sweet, se acabo.

Carlos (I wish you guys could smell this place!)
 

Oh Carlos, your dinner sounds fantastic! I hope you and the lovely Linda have a smashing evening.

Congrats to everyone on their sports victories.
 

Tonight's menu:

ensalada jicama

cochinita pibil (a labor of love)
curtido de cebolla (pickled red onion)
arroz blanco
frijoles refritos
tortillas de maiz

Shiner Bock (cerveza)

Everyone is invited!

Carlos
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Hombre- Fantastic recap as usual. I have not yet watched this episode and only just finished watching Wed and Thursday's episodes. It's a tough week in Gancholand.

There was an aticle in the Washington Post magazine a few months ago about Greivis. Apparently he is a superstar in his part of Venezuela. He is from the slums of Caracas, and his whole family and neighborhood are counting on him to succeed, make it big, go to the NBA and support them all. Lots of pressure on a young man. But basketball was the only thing that saved him from being recruited into the gangs of Caracas. Especially a big kid like him would have been harrassed and forcefully initiated into a gang, had he not been known as the kid with a basketball always in his hand, on the court everyday, who was really talented. The gangs respected that. I hope he does make it big.
 

Today’s sports report delivered by Sandy in TN...Güera, sorry, tough loss. Carlos, wow, great win. Baylor is playing so well especially after suffering the “death penalty” a few years back. Judy, I realize that Ohio State didn’t play today, you could take it easy and relax. Mike, good luck with FLA tomorrow. And yes, UT beat Mississippi State! How in the world did SC beat Vandy....what an upset! Now, am I fitting in here a little better?

Hombre...I really like the preambles to your recaps...”Choices, in real life we have choices.” You know you are a bit of a philosopher. Also liked, “slippery slide into syrupy sappiness,” “Yes, the boy can sing, but am I allowed to say the lyrics suck?” and your very best....... “either we have static electricity or the writers from FELS finally got new jobs after last year’s fiasco.” Gancho has “Hall of Fame” (sports reference!) recaps!!

Carlos, what a fantastic recipe you are trying. Let us know how it turns out! I think Mexican food smells wonderful as it cooks. Good news, if health care goes south, you and Linda can get jobs in a Taco Bell! Just kidding of course.......

Sylvia, hope you are much better today.....

I will make an incredible pie for any Gauncholand mate who comes here for a visit...just let me know when you plan to arrive.
 

Love how basketball is fitting in seamlessly to Gancholand. Hombre and Vivi, thanks for that noticia about Señor Greivis. Will look forward to watching him at work in the NCAA.
 

Carlos, I agree this novela is well written. And there are so many stories going at the same time. They make us care about all the characters, even the minor ones (like Tano). And they've managed to make us pull for the redemption of the main villainess, Coni. Of course you, Carlos have always been her cheerleader, but now Beto, Jacqui and Marcos are also trying to save her. It helps that there are two worse characters, Oscar and Isabel. But in so many other novelas, we'd be debating whether the villainess would end up dead or in jail. In this one, we're hoping she lets go of her anger, and ends up happy! (I think)
 

Oh yes, I am definitely rooting for the redemption of Coni. If for no other reason than because I want Beto to be happy.
 

Thank you Hombre for the delightfully entertaining recap. I haven't been able to watch Gancho at all since it moved to the afternoons. But from yours and everyone's recaps and comments, I don't think I've missed too much.

I love your definition:
Le lavó el cerebro – brainwashed her (or him), has washed her brain, mine feels as if I went through the spin cycle after tonight’s episode
(spin cycle, huh? that's what happens when I watch english daytime soaps.)

Jody :)
(Go Kansas!)
 

Jody,
How good to hear from you. I wish you were able to watch it with us but I'm glad you are joining in the recaps. You are aware that it repeats each evening at 12:00 EST/11:00 CST aren't you? God luck to Kansas, but not too much, since Baylor is in your conference.Next week should be exciting.

Sylvia,
Thinks by starting me on my pibil pilgrimage. As you know you started it all by sitting on an imagined beach and enjoying an imaginary torito and munching on a phantom pibil. The results of my quest were incredibile. ¡Gua! The puerco pibil was fashioned from a pork butt and cooked allday in a Crockpot. The only variance from last night's announced menu was the beverage. The Lovely Linda preferred (as I feared) a Spanish Shiraz instead of Shiner Bock, but I have to admit it was an inspired choice. The meat was succulent, bursting with flavors and the curtido de cebolla added a great deal to the dish. My refried beans were awesome and Linda's cucumber jicama bell pepper salad was delightful. Rice and corn tortillas accompanied the more colorful fare perfectly. I just wish everyone here at Club Gancho could have joined us in the adventure.

The Baylor men looked downright good yesterday. Today the ladies gravely missed Brittney.

Hombre, Maryland was stunning against Virginia. I was very impressed though not surprised.

Sandy, I'm still tasting your lemon meringue pie n my mind. Do you ship?

Carlos
 

Hombre: The recap? Outstanding, particularly your opening paragraph, slpendidly outlining the hard times and tough choices before our beloved characters. Vocabulary? Stellar as always.

But, your pictures shone like a beacon. Perfect shot of Coni. How did you manage to capture the smarmy, phony look on Andres' face? Amazing.

So many great phrases, particularly "mind candy" and "fishy...reeled in...cleaned...smothered...just about done". Let's hope Luisa comes to her senses and dumps the dope before anything happens...

I hate commenting so late but I thoroughly enjoyed everyones comments. I hope everyone's teams are doing well!

Coni's "redemption" seems to be somewhat delayed - I can't stand her taunting the children, particularly Luisa who is so young and vulnerable. But I agree with Sylvia, I also want her redeemed so Beto can be happy.

Isabel continues to find new ways to be creatively cruel. How sad that the only person she seemed to have real feelings for was Marcos. Ack. Of course, now that's disintegrated into venom and a quest for vengence. Blech. (Sorry to be repetitive, but...)

Diana
 

Sylvia: I am hoping you are feeling better. Please give us an update! We care!

Diana
 

Good Morning Diana, I am back and kicking. Many thanks to you and the others for your well wishes. I was pretty much down for the count all weekend. As you know so well, being sick sucks. On the upside, I caught up on all the back episodes of Corazon Salvaje and Amor Real that were on my DVR, not to mention a plethora of British mysteries and comedies and then the Oscars last night. I'm giving work a shot today, we'll see how long I last.

Carlos, I'm so glad your Pibil pilgrimage was a success.
 

Good morning Diana and Sylvia,

Sylvia,
I'm glad that you are feeling better. Please don't overdo things until you have all your strength and energy back.

Diana,
Though I also cringe at the way Coni treats the kids, I enjoy watching her and Dani get into it because they really have a great chemistry together. When ever Dani has a scene with Coni or Mauricio, they each seem to bring out her best talent. She genuinely seems to adore Mao, and she sparks with Coni. As I've mentioned before, the two of them seem to have a bond of trust that allows Coni's abuse of Dani to appear frightening and believable.

Carlos
 

Dear Hombre:

This was a stellar recap. No, no no, don't call yourself "mean", Hombre. Grounded will do for now.

I still say that the acting standards of Gancho are outstanding. the writing right now maybe be a little weak, but since I am also watching CS, a really bad day on Gancho is 10x the quality of any CS.

Thank you for the ongoing basketball tutorial—I continue to appreciate JudyB, Carlos, Mike and Hombre's comments. I have been traveling and I am now in Minnesota where I am desperately seeking Gancho on my sister's local cable provider.

Carlos, the pibil dinner sounds heavenly.So glad that you and the lovely Linda made that happen—you are an inspiration to me to get our the mortar and pestle.

I will use the recaps to catch up this week if I can't find Gancho.

Sandy, if you are shipping the lemon pie, put me on receiving list. I love the sweet/sour combination of citrus and meringue.

Glad to hear you are back on form Cap'n.
 

Elna June, in Minnesota. In the Twin Cities? Rochester? You'd hit us during a warm, but now cloudy stretch.

Thanks for the recap Hombre. I just can't see Isabel being redeemed in the end. It'll be hard work just redeeming Coni for Carlos. :)
 

Hi, Jeff!

I am in Shorewood at Lake Minnetonka (sp?)visiting my youngest sister. The weather has been very pleasant, indeed.

I agree with you about Hissy. Not so redeemable, I think. Today I am feeling optimistic about Coni. This sanguine outlook is not just on behalf of Carlos, I have to admit that I am fond of her as well. She just needs an attitude change, a manual labor job, Beto's love, noseplugs, a nice priest or therapist and a sweet relationship with her sissies to thrive as a redeemed villain.
OTOTOT
Jeff; where are you in MN? Beautiful state you have here, sir. The lakes are a real knockout with all the snow on them.

Iron Elna O'Velvet
 

Elna June.. OTOT.. So why would you want to be in Minnesota this time of year. :) It was nice last week with the sun out all the time. Now warmer, but cloudy and rain down here for the rest of the week. I'm in Rochester, home of the Mayo Clinic. If you were down here I could have told you what channel to watch, but not up in the cities. Lakes are pretty good when the ice is gone, too. :) What you gone out walking on them, walk on water. :)
 

I have not yet walked on lovely Minnetonka as the edges looked a little dicey to me in this warmer weather. Big smile. Out here visiting my youngest sister, celebrating the middle sister's 50th birthday.

I love it here in the summer and fall when the trees are leafed out but it is dramatically beautiful when the trees are outlined black against the snow.

I have never been to Rochester.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder