Friday, April 16, 2010

El Clon #43, Thurs, April 15: In which Joy comes to some, headaches to others, and Lucas calls Marisa’s bluff.

Danielito runs from Scary Homeless Guy – right into the path of a truck. Brakes squeal, driver and SHG peer underneath

At Caliente, they are wondering why Dora’s not dancing. Cris asks Miguel, Caliente’s former owner, to work for her and he accepts gratefully. Albieri shows up and spots Dora. Where’s Daniel? he asks. Desaparecido (disappeared) she cries. ¿¿¿Qué???

Cut to Danielito running through the streets of Miami, having escaped unharmed from truck and SHG.

Dora’s going to call the police but Albi says no, they’ll accuse you of neglect. True, says Vicki, in this country they blame the parents for everything.

Rosa and Luisa are just two gals letting their hair down together. Rosa confides to Luisa that Leo has been cutting Albieri because he thinks he and Cris are an item. Can he be in love with Cris? wonders the eternally clueless Luisa? No lo dude – con esa cara y ese cuerpo! (Don’t doubt it – with that face and that body) says the always ready to comfort a gal Mama Rosa. Not only that, he was passionately in love with his old flame, he idolized her.

At Club Caliente, Enrique shows up, tells Cris Leo’s not coming. Cris recovers quickly from the news: A otra cosa, mariposa. (That’s done, on to the next thing.). Meanwhile the dancers dance and Caliente is living up to its name.

No puedo más (I can’t do it any more) wails Latifa, but Zoraida sees the cabecita (little head) of her baby. Ya viene (Here it comes) she smiles. We hear the wail of the newborn. Es una niña beams Zoraida. (It’s a girl).

Now here’s a quiz. See if you can match the character with her/his reaction:

a. ¿No es mi Mohamedcito? (It’s not my little Mohamed?)
b. ¡Es una niña preciosa y muy saludable (It’s a beautiful girl and very healthy.)
c. ¡Pero es una mujer! (But it’s a woman!)
d. Debes aceptar su (de Allah) voluntad. (You have to accept his will)
e. Allah dicen que no se hacen distinciones entre los hijos y las hijas. (Allah says one does not make distinctions (show preference for) between sons and daughters.)

1. Uncle Abdul.
2. Nazira
3. Zoraida
4. Uncle Ali
5. Mohamed
Answers: a 5, b3, c2, d1, e4.

Mohamed holds his daughter and recites la llamamiento (literally ‘the call’) so that it will be the first thing she hears and it will protect her from all evil. I’ll call you Zamira, he says. It means ‘joy’ explains Ali.

Club Caliente festivities are over and Cris and her friend (name?) are rehashing events. Todo salió perfecto says the friend. (Everything turned out perfect). Cris is wiped out. Me siento con pies de elefante. (I feel like I have elephant’s feet, ie my feet are swollen). {It’s probably the shoes}
and then: Leo me dejó vestida y alborotado (literally, he left me dressed up and worked up/excited. It means something like ‘he stood me up.)

At the Ferrer home, Natalia asks her grampa Leo if she can see the picture of Daniel. You mean Diego? No, Daniel, she insists. Leo tells Marisa the kid need a shrink. And soon, before Enrique and Rosa are having visions of Diego everywhere.

Back at their home (which as we know is entirely at Nazira’s disposition) Said asks Jade why she doesn’t want a kid. Cuz I’m afraid we’d get divorced and you’d take the child from me. I’d never divorce you Jade. [n.b. These are Famous Last Words, I fear…] They kiss, Jade imagines Lucas, realizes it’s just Nazira-pecked Said, and gets a sudden splitting headache (dolor de cabeza) and pulls away.

Marisa tells Lucas that his father is worried about Natalia’s amiguito imaginario (imaginary little friend) and needs a shrink. And then, gentle reader, Lucas calls her bluff! You were right about the divorce, he says, we need to get on with our lives. We’re only together for Natalia, but really, she’d be happier if we separated. All we do is fight.
Marisa can’t believe her ears. They’ve been talking almost rationally, but now she switches on the Shrew button – You had it all planned!
Don’t play with me, says our boy. I’m not gonna let you manipulate me any more!

Dora wants to give the police a picture of Daniel. But they’ll publish it says Albi. Well, duh, says Dora. With Cris’s encouragement, she’s going ahead and Albi’s running scared.

Little Daniel is trying to use a public phone when he is approached by a not scary woman. He tells her he can’t find his Papa.

While the shrew is packing her bags and getting ready to take Natalia with her, the little girl sees Daniel on TV. He is in the background while a reporter is talking about an accident. I think it must be in the police station where the not scary woman has taken him. Nat’s family assume it’s another manifestation of her emotional disturbance. Shrew agrees not to leave with her until the shrink weighs in.

Daniel calls his Papi from the police station. When Albi, Dora and Vicki come for him, he once again breaks Dora’s heart, running past her and into Albi’s arms.

Back in Fez, Ali explains that it’s the custom to shave the baby’s head at seven days, weigh the hair, convert the weight to money and then give the money to the poor.

Luisa shows Albieri the foto Rosa has given her. Clueless Luisa: Why’s Daniel in the Ferrer house? I’ve never seen those clothes. The foto looks old.

Marisa and Lucas and the lawyers. I’m not arguing about money; all I care about is custody, says Lucas. Well then well see each other in court, say the lawyers. A judge will decide custody.

Marisa is taking Natalia to the therapist. The child needs a medium, not a psychologist offers Mama Rosa in a loud aside. Tell the doctor all the details, says Leo. Yeah, yeah snarls Marisa.

Cris asks Dora if she’s sure about her decision. Yes, it’s painful, but what else can I do. I have to send Daniel to live with my ma. She leaves to pick up her ma at the airport. When the two are alone, Cris says to Daniel, You love your mama, don’t you? and he answers: I don’t love my mama; I love my papa. Cris looks ill.

Marisa tells Lucas that the therapist wants to speak to them together. And by the way, when you’re having your way with that woman of yours, just remember it’s all your fault that your child está perdiendo la razón. (is losing her mind)

Marisa takes advantage of Lucas and Leo’s absence to move out of the house with an unwilling Natalia, telling Rosa it’s Lucas’s fault. Rosa calls Lucas to let him know what happened and he rushes home.

Marisa took Natalia, says Lucas when Leo arrives home. The ever-supportive Leo says, I told you so. Rosa says, beg her to come back. No, says the new, improved Lucas. No more manipulation. Voy en busca de mi felicidad (I’m going to look for my happiness, aka Jade)

Now in a Really Disturbing Scene, Nazira is rubbing Said’s feet when Jade comes downstairs and says she’s off to see Latifa. Your headache is very good to you, says the cuñada del infierno – it never bothers you when you want to take a walk, only when you’re gonna sleep with my brother. [Qué??? He told her about that?? Oh Jade, you gotta get out of there!]

Jade is with the girls, Latifa and Zoraida and she gets an idea, a Lucy and Desi kind of idea, to get rid of Nazira. “Osvaldo” will write to her, begging her to come back to him in Miami. “Mi única flor del desierto…” (My only desert flower) begins the letter...

Estela, Dora’s ma, arrives in Miami. I told you so (maybe she’d like to meet Leo) she says unhelpfully to the already sufficiently miserable Dora. I feel so sad, so alone, I don’t even have Osvaldo, she confides later to Cris. Go after him. No, he was so rude the last time we spoke…

At Club Caliente, Vicki tells Osvaldo that Cris wants to offer him a job and that Dora’s going to NY. We see Dora dancing and Osvaldo smoldering as he watches. He cuts in ‘so you never forget how it was to dance with Osvaldo.’ ‘You were the best’ he tells her.

Nazira gets the letter from her suitor (pretendiente), shows it off, and announces that she will once again be living with Mohamed and Latifa in Miami. Latifa is horrified. Jade is … what? She can’t be surprised. And Zoraida knows there’s trouble ahead.

Dora tells Albi she’s taking Daniel to spend the weekend in NY with her ma, she and Daniel are here to say goodbye. Albi tells Luisa after they leave that he feels something is going to happen, something terrible. (Presiento que algo va a pasar, algo terrible.)

Marisa is driving Natalia to the therapist when they pass the taxi taking Daniel, ma and Dora to the airport. The kids wave to each other. Albi arrives at Dora’s house after they have left. Cris confirms his fears. Daniel is not coming back. At the airport, it is clear to all that Daniel is leaving with Dora’s ma and she is staying behind. And Daniel doesn’t want to go.

Labels:


Comments:
Woo hoo! What a great recap! I'm so glad I was wrong about Lucas and Marina and Dora and Daniel. Maybe things are starting to happen on this novela.

It shows how twisted Frankenalbi is that he tried to keep Dora from giving a photo of Daniel to the police because it might expose him.

Nariza massaging Said's feet was creepy. And did Jade think Lariat was going back to Ozzie on her own? Of course, she would go and stay with Latifa and Mohamed. Jade needs to think ahead about how her schemes will affect other people.

At least Leo was true to form - thinking only of himself when he was told that Lucas and Marisa were divorcing.

What a piece of work Rosa is! She just can't keep her mouth shut.
 

NovelaMaven, what a fantastic recap! It combines all my favorite things: clever snark, lots of Spanish vocab, and a great account of what happened, including stuff I missed when I watched it, like Ali's explanation abou shaving the baby's hair. I heard him say all that, but I couldn't understand it well enough to put it all together.

I kept grinning the whole time I was reading your recap over remarks such as "a Lucy and Desi kind of idea" and, referring to I-told-you-so Estela, "maybe she’d like to meet Leo." Perfect!

And I loved your quiz (especially since I got an A :-) ).

Jean, you're so right about Leo and Rosa. I can't decide which one infuriates me more. Though neither of them can hold a candle to Marisa or Nazira in the infuriating category.
 

Thank you, Jean! You know after doing only two of these recaps, I really really appreciate your work -- you are my hero:-) It looks like you'll have an explosive episode to recap tonight!

Juanita,I'm so glad you enjoyed the recap. Clearly you are a stellar student!
---
I was kind of confused by the Daniel Goes to NY plotline. I couldn't tell whether Dora was going along until the very last moment when Estela dragged him through the doorway and Dora was left alone with her grief. I know Dora was trying to keep Albieri from finding out her real plans, but she kept me in the dark too!

I wonder if Estela will actually be able to get on the plane with him or if Daniel's 'berrinche' will stop her.
 

NovelaMaven, thank you for the great recap. Some days this TN is difficult to watch. The parenting skills of Dora, Marisa, Leo and Rosa drives me crazy. They really need some parenting classes.

I think the special tea that Jade is drinking has started to affect her thinking. Yes, Nariza is creepy and I cannot attribute it to the tea.

Does Ali have any children by his many wives? I have not seen any but there have been nieces.

Rosemary
 

Great recap, NovelaMaven. Once again I am so, SOOO glad you took up the mantle. You really are a natural at this. Jean gives us her marvelous screen shots, and you give us Spanish lessons and fun stuff like the pop quiz. Que rico!!
 

I got the impression that Dora was sending Daniel to NYC with grandma and that she never intended to leave herself. Maybe she told Daniel the same thing she told Luisa - that they were going to NYC for the weekend. Then at the last minute, she sent the kid off alone with his grandma.

Ali does have children with his wives. Sometimes we see him telling them about the Koran but like the wives, they don't appear to live at his house.

Forgot to say that I loved your title, too, novelamaven.
 

Thank you NovelaMaven! As others have already said, you are a natural!!!

And thank you Jean and I did read the NY Times article. Furniture?! Right away I remembered the banana yellow sofa with small cherries (circular cherry red throw pillows) in Montecristo. Some would find it garrish; but I also liked that rug in Sortilegio.
 

OT. Any Jaime Camil fans here? He's doing a live chat tomorrow (Sat), midday. Check his Twitter page (clickable link) for details. You do NOT need a Twitter account, but it's easier if you have one. He'll announce the time later today, and post the chat URL on his Twitter page 5 minutes before the chat starts.
 

Wow! NovelaMaven, you are an ace! I loved your recap, loaded with useful Spanish phrases. And Jade's planning a "Lucy and Desi" move made me laugh out loud.

Marisa is in many ways more loathsome than some outright female villains/murderers I've seen. Sometimes those characters have flashes of humor about them as they giggle over their dastardly deeds. Marisa has NO sense of humor. Her outstanding personal trait is vanity. That's really all there is to her. She wants to hang on to Lucas because it offends her that he could actually prefer someone else to (in her opinion) her amazing beauty. She may have loved Diego, but I don't think she loves Lucas. And she surely doesn't love her child very much because she's prepared to cruelly jerk her away from an extended family that dotes on her in order to spite Lucas.

Jean, I had the same reaction you did - an urge to strangle Albieri when he was trying to convince Dora not to go to the police. What? Better for the kid to get snatched by a child molester than have Frankenalbi exposed.

Yes, indeed, Rosa and Leo have zero intuition about what to say to other people. Rosa really wounds Luisa with her remarks about Cristina's good looks and Albi's mushy behavior with the long-dead fiance. And Leo doesn't miss a chance to blame his only surviving child instead of the selfish witch he married.

I was thinking: Que? How much can the fine wispy hair of a newborn weigh? I can't think the Muslim poor get very much from this custom!
 

Heh heh, I guess Muslim fathers hope for bald babies. I thought the same thing. Unless there is a very generous conversion rate, the poor don't get much from newborns. They ought to weigh dirty diapers or something ;-) .
 

I know Koreans are born with a really thick crop of hair. So probably Arabs too.

Giving to the poor is one of the obligations of Islam. I suspect the custom started because good thick hair is somehow an indicator of a healthy, robust baby. So to thank Allah for a strong baby, you should give a big alm. Whereas a malnourished mama probably tends to have a fine-haired baby so is not obligated to give as much. Just a guess.
 

This link (hey, I figured out how to post a link in a comment) discusses Muslim baby customs.

Another site mentioned that the hair cutting charity was mostly symbolic but that some of the meat from the sacrificed animal was distributed to the poor.
 

Novelamaven, thanks foor the recap.

I'm really enjoying this TN and along with it I especially love the vocabulary and learning about the Arabic customs. I also enjoy the back and forth from Miami to Morocco.

Ann-NYC
 

I just wanted to add that one of the things I was really happy about last night was Mohammed's response to his baby daughter. He had been very clear about wanting a son, a Mohammedcito, and his first response upon learning that Latifa had given birth to a girl was disappointment. But as soon as someone put the baby in his arms, his feelings changed to joy. What is a man so sensible and decent doing in our telenovela?
 

Jean/PaulaH and Novelamaven: Finally caught up with all the recaps and wanted to say thanks for keeping me entertained as well as informed. This whole novela has been a Luci and Desi kind of thing, hasn't it? LOL! Can't wait to see what chaos Jade's love letter to Nariza causes! Not that the bruja doesn't deserve to be the butt-end to that practical joke! Unfortunately, poor Latifah may be stuck with that Moraccan shrew.

Glad to see that Lucas grew a pair and told his redheaded shrew (wonderful descriptor, Novelamaven!) to put his money where her mouth was and leave. I'm waiting for him to finally tell Leo to stuff a sock in it also.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder