Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dinero Tuesday May 25, 2010 Part I Why One Should Never Have Office Parties

part 1

In a bar the three vultures, Chavez, Marco and Quintana are cruising above the hacienda. Quintana offers silence for money.

Back at Auto Siglo the party is about to start. Ramirez gets a phone call from his wife. He is cheered up by his colleagues to go stand up to her. "I have the right to be at a party with my colleagues" he yells and hangs up. Rosaura decided not call her husband and go home whenever the party is over.

Dandy is back with the bottle of Whisky. The team wonders if this will be enough to bring enough spirit to the party. Dandy will take care of that. He goes to Susana and asks her for some good essential oil (?). From her wide selection he picks one for hair and skin. He tells his colleagues that the mixture is called Hazele. In Egypt they use it for Kamasutra and he and Susi take it all the time to spice up their sex life. The ladies look forward to effect of the essence.

Now the official part of the party is starting. Beltran thanks everyone; Arcadia, Ale, Rafa, the mechanics, salesman, maintenance people for keeping this company alive for 12 years. Now Ramiro decides he needs to hold a speech.

Quintana pays a visit to Rosario. Rosario looks happy and offers him coffee. Few minutes later Marco comes by as well. Jorge wants to talk to Marko in his office.
Once alone Quintana is thinking and grinning in a villainous way that he has the family’s fortune and all the idiots under control.

At the Siglo Ramiro keeps stealing the spotlight with his lengthy speech until Dandy and Marino remove him from the podium.

The fun part of the fiesta is officially beginning and Rafa being the "great" dancer he is starts some dance moves. He asks Ale to dance with him, but she refuses. Two women, one young and skinny and one older and corpulent ask him to dance. Ale sends him off to dance with the less attractive one while she stands around looking bored.

On the way upstairs Marco makes a call to Chavez. Marco decides they need to contract someone to get rid of Quintana. It has to look like an accident.

In the office Jorge tells Marco that he is very worried about his little sister. Given Quintana's history Rosario is in great danger. Marco should hire back Azusena to watch them.

Dandy and Susana decide to skip the party. Marino is charming Beltran's secretary and tells her that she is the one who is going to give him a baby girl. The whole party gets to eavesdrop since they are standing in front of the microphone.

Ramirez now quite drunk, collects his guts and goes to Beltran and asks him for a raise. Generala takes him away takes him away saying that this is not the time to talk about that.

Rafa stopped dancing to talk to Ale. Se doesn't look like she is enjoying the fiesta. Rafa offers her a drink, but she denies. A young executive asks Ale to dance and off they go. Rafa looks very jealous.

Julieta gets suspicious of Jamie's behavior. Not only he tells her that she needs to learn how to be independent, but also Vicky calls him in the middle of their conversation and says that she wants get married with her novio and have a lot of babies. Then when Jaime gets the phone back she tells him to start helping her on her encounter with Rafa since the maternity clothes are the nearest future.

After she is done with Jamie she decides to stop by at Siglo and introduce herself to Rafa's colleagues.

Labels:


Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 

Okay, transferred your recap to the main page. Again, for all of us, and especially Melinama, I thank you, Maria. You really came through for all of us.

Still can't believe you're not a native speaker of English. And already you have Spanish under your belt as well. You must be one smart cookie. Like our adorable Rubi.
 

Nicely done Maria. I am with Judy, I would never have guessed English was not your primary Language. Thanks for filling in for. Those group fiestas are always hard to try and figure out what is going on. The esential oil trick Dandy played was pretty funny. Thanks again.
 

Judy, my "assets" aren't quite as impressive as Rubi's:)

I have to admit I learn languages quite fast. I'm fluent in German and Russian as well. Plus I took a few semesters of Latin and Swedish in college. I only started learning Spanish last summer. But most of the words are similar to one of the languages I speak or learned so it comes easy.
 

Yikes Maria. You're blowing me away. Only started learning Spanish last summer!!? Holy Toledo. I can see how Latin would help, and certainly there are a lot of cognates in scientific language but even so. The rapid-fire slang of Mexican telenovelas is challenging even for someone who studied Spanish in school. I'm going to stick to my guns and say you're one smart cookie. And heck, Rubi's other assets owe a lot to silicone.
 

Judy,I think I'm used to the sound of Mexican Spanish. I tried to watch some Spanish movies without subtitles and I could not understand much. I always watch my TNs with subtitles though.

But you should not be impressed with me. You speak what like 3 or 4 languages yourself?
 

I can speak French and German but that's because I have lived and/or worked in Europe for a while. I understand Spanish but I'm pretty lame when it comes to holding a conversation. Not enough opportunity to practice. But I'm trying. My mother became obviously senile in her seventies so I'm doing what I can to keep those neurons firing.
 

I speak French, too, and have studied other languages. I have a degree in Linguistics from so long ago it probably doesn't matter anymore! I started Spanish last summer as well. I can read pretty well and somewhat comprehend conversation, but need way more practice speaking. That is the hardest part.
 

How interesting Ivy. Years and years ago,as a university teaching assistant, I taught French for a linguistics professor named Albert Valdman. Did you ever use a textbook by him? This was back in the 60's so I don't even know if his books are in print anymore. He was an interesting guy but the actual study of Linguistics didn't interest me at all. Are you able to use it in your work?
 

Wow, that is interesting. No, not familiar with that profressor. I was studying at UCLA in the late 70s, did have a book or two by Noam Chomsky, though.

I haven't been able to use it really for work, but started taking Spanish partly because at the law firm where I work we occasionally get clients who speak Spanish, and it would be useful. I have used it a little bit.
 

I have the same problem with Spanish as you guys. I don't get to speak it, so I think my comprehension is much better than my communication skills.

And Judy, with the active life you have I don't think you will ever have your mother's problem.
 

Ah Noam Chomsky. Yes, he's one famous guy. For people in fields outside of linguistics as well.

Ivy, it's amazing how often Spanish is needed. I still remember, 30 years ago, calling a friend who was originally from Puerto Rico. I got her housekeeper who only spoke Spanish. At that point, my only Spanish was from Sesame Street but I was able to say "Qué hora? ....a casa? and she understood and I understood "tres horas" so we were cool. But now the roofers, the gutter cleaners, the landscapers and many others are native speakers and it would really help to know the language. Thrilled that we now have these stations.

Maria..."From your lips to God's ear!" I do hope my activity, the fact that I don't smoke like she did, and my diet, will spare me the tragedy of dementia. It really changed the last 20 years of her life.
 

Wow! I am blown away by the experience and language skills of all of you. And Maria, I would certainly never have guessed that English is not your native language.

Güera
 

Judy - I understand and I think it does help to exercise your brain and be healthy. That's yet another reason I am studying, I'm in my mid-50s and want to stay as young as possible!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder