Friday, June 04, 2010

El Clon #78, Friday, May 4 - One divorce final; one divorce initiated; one suicide threatened and one diamond necklace missing

Marisa tells Rosa that her diamond necklace had better show up or she is calling the police. The maid wisely sees where the blame is likely to go and protests her innocence. When Rosa says that no one has accused her, the maid says,
Rosa, tú sabes que la cuerda siempre se revienta por el lado más flaco.
Rosa, you know that the chain breaks at the weakest link (literally, the cord breaks at the thinnest side.) Marisa describes the chain for Rosa and says that it is like a choker (una gargantilla (a little throat).

The sight of a street party at Gloria's nearly brings on a heart attack for Tío Abdul.

Having now seen the wicked ways of Westerners, Abdul says that he was wrong to let Said marry someone who was raised in the US. While Ali protests to Abdul that the world is greater than their Fez, the Naz slips out to participate in the wickedness.

Osvaldo asks Miguel the bartender to help him get a pass for a beach club for Karla. He says it's not what Miguel thinks but it is a matter of life and death.

Leo has finally found a hotel room. He keeps apologizing to Amalia. Then he gets a call from a weepy Cristina who pretends to know nothing about the cancellation of the hotel reservation. She says that she is calling to bid him farewell. She is leaving this world. Cristina tells Vicki that she has a better plan than screwing up Leo's travel arrangements. She says that if it works, Leo will be back in Miami right away. [If it doesn't work, she will have to commit suicide or forever lose any credibility with Leo.]

Cristina furthers her plan by giving Enrique a note for Leo and continuing to appear to be depressed.

It's time for Jade to go to Mohamed's. Zoraida says that she is afraid for Jade but Jade replies that,
Lo peor que me pueda pasar va a ser lo mejor para mí.
The worst that can happen will be the best thing for me. Jadiya asks her mother to reconcile with Said.

At Mohamed's house, there is a knock at the door. The women and children are cleared out. Jade and Zoraida come in.

Ali and Abdul, as the oldest members of Said's and Jade's families state that they will resolve the problems with this couple. Amin is listening from hiding.

Jade gets to present her quejas (complaints) first. She says that she wants a divorce because she isn't happy with Said. Abdul goes through the bases for a divorce that a wife may claim and that we already know: husband doesn't provide enough food or clothing; the husband beats his wife severely enough to cause bruises (magulladuras) or bleeding (sangrado); husband lets wife sleep alone for more than a month. Jade admits that none of those causes exist. Jade says that Said kept her a prisoner in his house and wouldn't let her see her family or use the telephone. Said says,
Lo hago para que no llenes mi casa de vergüenza.
I did it so that you wouldn't fill my house with shame.

Jade denies this. She says that he did it to humiliate her because he has known from the first day of their marriage that she didn't want to be with him. Said replies that Jade had an opportunity during the ceremony to get out of marrying him and she didn't take it. He says that he did everything he was supposed to do and she did none of the things that Ali promised for her. He dares her to deny it and of course she can't because he is right.

Said accuses Jade of betraying him. Ali says that if Said can prove that Jade betrayed him with another man, he will wash his hands of her. Jade and Said accuse each other of adultery but neither of them have the required witnesses. Jade says that all she wants is to get a divorce and be free. Said finally says that he wants a divorce, too.

Just like the last time Jade and Said got divorced, she has to wait for 3 menstrual cycles to make sure that she isn't pregnant. Ali goes through the rules and both parties agree. Ali announces that they are divorced. Nobody says anything about Jadiya.

Enrique calls Leo to tell him about Cristina's visit and letter. Leo blows it off. Later, though, he gets up from bed with Amalia, calls Enrique and has him read the note. He buys the suicide threat and decides to return to Miami the next day.

Nati is not as astute as the maid. She takes the news of the missing necklace lightly and tells her mother to search her things if she wants to.

It appears that Lucas wants Enrique to act as his divorce lawyer. That is a really bad idea. If anything would drive someone to drink, it would be dealing with Marisa in a divorce. Enrique doesn't want to do it either. Lucas tells him to give Marisa whatever money she asks for. He just wants to be free of her.

Zoraida wants Latifa to call Lucas and give him the news about Jade's divorce. Latifa makes Zoraida place the call. Lucas says that he will wait for Jade forever.

Jade tells Rania that she is Said's first and only wife.

The Chump tells Malicia that Luisa's candidate got the job in the bar. Malicia tells him no worries. She will get the job for herself.
Yo no creo que puedas ablandarle el corazón a tu tía.
I don't believe that you can soften your aunt's heart, says the Chump.
Hay muchas maneras de convencer al la gente.
There are lots of way to change people's minds, replies Malicia.

Fernando goes to see his dad. He wants the Chump to tell him why he left Clara and took a lover. The Chump says that Alicia isn't his lover. He manages to convince Fernando that his relationship with Malicia started when Clara threw him out of the house and that was when he realized that he was very much in love with her. Fernando buys this but asks his dad to come alone to the launching of his band since Clara will be there.

Alej tell Ramoncito that the encouragement and moral support he is getting from his girlfriend is what he was lacking before in his fight career.

Nati tells Andrea and Rosa how happy she is and that the only thing missing is for Leo to give Alej a job so he doesn't have to worry about money. Andrea says that Alej will be more successful than Oscar de la Hoya . Nati replies that there is one difference - Alej is much handsomer. [Nati may be showing her prejudice here. Oscar de la Hoya was pretty handsome.] Everybody is laughing and having a good time until Marisa comes into the room and and spreads a pall over everything like a corpse at a feast. She asks if Rosa has found her necklace. Rosa says not yet.
Bien. Haré lo que tuve que haber hecho desde un principio.
Fine. I will do what I should have done from the beginning, says the bruja.

The credits roll.

Labels:


Comments:
♪♫June is bustin' out all over♫♫ -- jejeje... sorry, couldn't resist!

As usual, beautifully done, Jean! I'm glad you caught the Naz, not only verbally but with a foto, as she snuck away "to participate in the wickedness. I just wish someone like Mohamed, Abdul or Ali would catch her in the act so she would be stripped of her moral authority and thus her power to hurt others.

In a way, Said did Jade a favor by his rutting with the beast of Marisa. Even though neither he nor Jade had "proof" of adultery, Jade's very believable allegations about Said managed to cut off that line of attack against her ... a sort of mutual disarmament.

So it sounds as if the insignificant character Malicia, to get back at Luisa, will be the mechanism by which Daniel's origin is unmasked. Monday should be very interesting!
 

Another great recap, Jean. ¡Muchísimas gracias!

I was a bit surprised that Jade actually did get her divorce (again). I wonder whether she and Lucas will get together immediately, and she'll become pregnant by him before the three menstrual periods are over. I mean, something has to ruin her happiness again, doesn't it? We're only at episodio 78 (sigh).

Thanks again for the very helpful Spanish. Once again, you included some passages that went right by me when I was watching.

I found myself losing patience with Cristina last night. ¡Ya basta!

NovelaMaven, I loved your description of Jade's and Said's allegations as "mutual disarmament"!

I don't have much else to say. I'm currently up to my eyeballs in TNs. When "Soy Tu Dueña" started, I thought I'd drop "¿Dónde Está Elisa" and just watch "Dueña" and "El Clon." But "¿Dónde?" has become very interesting, much more so than "Dueña," so I'm watching all three and desperately trying to find a good reason to drop one. Maybe I should just read the "Dueña" recaps until TBLMOE enters (which they say will not be until episode 19).

Anyway, I'm currently OD'ing on estupidez!
 

Thanks Novela Maven.
Said and Mohamed did catch the Naz riding on the back of Pablo's motorcycle and they just backed right down when she screamed at them. There's a big double standard there.

I think it's way too early for the secret of the clone to be revealed but who knows. Malicia is going to try blackmail. Let's hope for an interesting week ahead!

You are busy, Juanita. I am going to start watching Los Exitsos Gome$ on Monday. It's a comic novela from Peru that sounds interesting, always assuming, of course, that Telemundo actually shows it. They promoted it once before but for some reason didn't start showing it.

TBLMOE does nothing for me and I can't stand Univisión novelas so STuD isn't a temptation.

I think the fly in the ointment, as it were, with Jade's divorce is Jadiya. It was totally bizarre that this wasn't mentioned at the family meeting and to me that says that Jade is going to think she has gotten what she wants only to 'find out' that she can't have Jadiya. I say 'find out'because she already knows or should know that the husband gets custody of the children.
 

I'm trying very hard to get past thinking that STuD is a DuD -- visually uninteresting, and at times positively repellent with all those tight close-ups of surgically altered faces. It's hard to sit through a whole episode, so maybe I'll just revisit it when TBLMOE joins the party.

I'm actually fascinated by the Televisa machine, but for me, not all or even many productions, are watchable. I need one or two principal actors who rise above all the clichés and the crazy plot (which is a given -- if you can't tolerate outrageous plot lines, you need to be learning your Spanish somewhere else!) and I need a visually interesting backdrop. I have no tolerance for screamers, the actors who force you to turn down the volume when they come on screen.

I think El Clon is visually stunning and I do enjoy the actors and their roles (although the Naz, for example, would be right at home in the Televisa studios). I like hearing Marisa and Nati speaking Spanish with a Colombian accent (which makes them sound convincingly alike, like mother and daughter)while Lucas's Spanish is pure Mexican. And I have to admit, I am intrigued by the main story lines -- the intersection of two cultures, and the whole clone issue.

But in the end, I do watch things in Spanish that would bore me to death in English because the language itself adds a whole layer of interest for me. I'm sure that's true for most of us here...
 

Thanks as always Jean. I agree with the comments so far. A few more beanie moments. The families can afford to travel to the USA at a moment's notice to sort out family issues. Also why doesn't Mohammed move! If a bar opened across the street from me ... of course the other issue is whether the area is zoned for residential or business or both!

I also think the telenovelas have picked out the extremes of two cultures -- well ... what can one expect! As far as I know King Mohammed VI of Morocco only has one wife:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Lalla_Salma_of_Morocco. When I was in Morocco, our guide told us that she was the first to be shown to the public and without a veil.

I thought that A Corazon Abierto would be have complete stories each day. However, now I'm waiting to see if the hospital will be blown up - on Monday!

Lynne
 

Thanks Jean--I always enjoy reading the recap for Friday over the weekend because it helps bridge the Clon withdrawals.
I, too, thought it odd that Jadiyah's custody was not mentioned at the family meeting, but perhaps it was simply understood by all parties that the child would go with the father, as Ali has lectured to Jade on several occasions.
Joan
 

Jean: Terrific recap as always and I loved your choice of photo shots this time, especially the one with the Naz sneaking out to join the street party!

Watching that family divorce proceeding was a trip! Jade is finally free and Zoraida had the sense and forsight to call Lucas and let him know. Jade had the presence of mind to ask Rania to look after Jadiyah and I only hope she does. I expect problems though from Amina in that regard. I could be wrong, though. --The other big worry is Jade turning out to be pregnant with Lucas's baby before the three months are up and then having to explain it's not Said's. Those 4 withnesses he needs to give Jade the 80 lashes would be a moot point then, wouldn't it? Hmmmm.
 

Jean, I'm relatively new to TN, especially full TNs (I own some that are abridged). Until "El Clon" and "¿Dónde Está Elisa?" the only full novellas I had seen were on Univision: "En Nombre del Amor," "Mañana es para Siempre," and "Sortilegio." I must say, the two I'm watching on Telemundo are like a breath of fresh air. Neither of them is like a typical TN (except for the high estupidez quotient). So I'm having a hard time returning to Univision for STuD. So far, I'm very unimpressed. It seems like a rehash of several other TNs. But I'm attracted by the cast, and I'm not quite ready to give up on it. As for TBLMOE, I liked him better in some of the abridged TNs I've watched than in MEPS, and it's possible that I'll be disappointed again in STuD, but I guess I'd like to watch long enough to find out.

NovelaMaven, I was really interested in your remark about the Colombian Spanish of Marisa and Nati vs. the Mexican Spanish of Lucas. My Spanish is not nearly good enough for me to be able to distinguish accents except for the differences in pronunciation between Spain and Latin America, and also the rather distinctive features of Argentinian Spanish. If I'm not asking too much, what distinguishes Marisa's Spanish from Lucas's?
 

Thank you, Jean. I enjoyed the recap. NovelaMaven, ITA with your statement, "I do watch things in Spanish that would bore me to death in English because the language itself adds a whole layer of interest for me." I'm sure I couldn't stand any novelas except Fea and CS-95 if they were in English. But in Spanish, I have to get my daily dose. Not just for the language instruction. The challenge of understanding it makes the whole experience more satisfying. Just like, any joke I can comprehend is Spanish is hilarious, just from the relief of getting the joke.

Por ejemplo, Consuelo Duval dijo en su Twitter hoy, "Que pasó en puebla entre las 4 y las 5 de la tarde?? Una hora!!"
 

Juanita, I'm afraid I'm not smart enough to describe the differences between the sound of educated Colombian and educated Mexican Spanish, but I think if you listen to a few minutes of "A Corazón Abierto" and then any Univisión novela, say STuD, you will hear two distinct rhythms of speech. To me, the Colombian pattern is softer, more melodic -- but those are really subjective descriptions and probably won't help much. Sorry.
 

To me, Colombian Spanish sounds like everysentenceisasingleword. I've gotten better at deciphering it, but when I first watch Betty la fea, it totally "beat my lips" (was impossible to understand).
 

NovelaMaven/PaulaH: ditto on the novelas. However, Univision is all I get with CC so I'm pretty much stuck with Mexican/Spanish (when they have Spaniards contracted) accents. The Puerto Rican/Columbiano and Cuban ones drive me crazy, but I think I'm getting better at listening. Marisa and Nati's make me listen more closely. I've got 3 novelas and it's one too many, but I'm stuck on all of them and can't bear to drop any. Since I'm recapping STuD I can only hope that in a couple of weeks when FC appears and Lucero's character changes we'll start to see things really pick up the pace. That's the problem many times IMHO with a new tn if the writing or the direction or cast aren't all in synch yet. I hated Destilando Amor the first week, but it turned into a real gem. Once the first director left CS2009 things picked up and the show has turned for the better.
 

Thanks very much, NovelaMaven and Paula, for your impressions of the different accents. This gives me something to listen for. I'll try to pay a little more attention and see whether I can hear what you've described. Jardinera, I agree about a Cuban accent--the few times I've heard one, I found it very hard to understand. (Then again, I find most Spanish hard to understand! But I think the TNs are really helping me progress from hopeless to merely incompetent.)
 

Thanks, Jean. Great recap, as always.

I also was surprised at how smoothly Jade got her divorce. Yikes, if she's pregnant with Lucas' baby that will be a major disaster!. I hope not.

I didn't notice at all that Marisa and Nati have Colombian accents. Good catch, Novela Maven. But I'm also watching A Corazon Abierto and I'm pretty sure that the two actors in El Clon have worked at getting closer to the generic accent they want for both Mexican and US audiences. A Corazon Abierto has the real deal on Colombian accents and it's a bit of a struggle. Plus Jorge Cao isn't trying that hard to be Colombian and sounds more Cuban than he ever has.

So I'm on overload as well. I really like El Clon. I also like A Corazon Abierto because it has that episodic quality where they show new patients each episode and things actually get resolved. A regular TN, not based on a US medical show, never resolves much of anything until the final week.

Soy tu Dueña isn't doing it for me yet. I find it predictable and boring. I agree that Telemundo's novelas are better written and not a string of refritos. But I am hanging on for TBLMOE.

I'm so surprised that he doesn't do anything for you, Jean. He knocks my socks off. To me he's not only gorgeous but a good actor. And, when I've seen him on Cristina, he seems like a delightful human being being himself. What more could I ask for?
 

I'm not feeling great at the moment - simply a pesky medical problem that will disappear in a few weeks. So I broke my good resolution and started watching A Corazon Abierto. So far, I'm quite impressed. Apparently it opened in Colombia with half of the viewing audience watching it. I read some of the comments on Telemundo about it and there was something about the gringos being involved ... apparently Disney Media.

Fernando Gaitan, the profilic writer and producer involved. Colombia seems to be quite successful in producing good actors and TV productions. I can read Spanish better than I can translate it. This is from Wikipedia:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_coraz%C3%B3n_abierto

A corazón abierto es la versión colombiana en formato de telenovela de la serie de médicos de Shonda Rhimes, Grey's Anatomy. Disney Media Networks Latin America firmó un acuerdo con Vista Productions y RCN Televisión para realizar esta versión colombiana. La serie cuenta con la supervisión general del libretista colombiano Fernando Gaitán, conocido por escribir los guiones de exitosas telenovelas como Café con aroma de mujer, Yo soy Betty la Fea y Hasta que la plata nos separe.

Lynne
 

Jean, thanks for the great recap. I loved all of the comments this weekend.

If anyone gets pregnant I think it will be Natalie. Then Marisa can have a proper Hissy Fit.

Rosemary
 

Novelera, I'm sure you're right about the actresses playing Marisa and Nati trying to avoid sounding too regional. Even so, there's a cadence or music in their speech that is a little different from the Mexicans', whose delivery is a bit more staccato to my ear. The actress playing Cris's friend, Vicky, sounds more distinctively Colombian, at least to me. Anyhow, it's just fun to speculate!
 

Hi Novelera: I didn't even realize Jorge Cao is Cuban. To me he his lispy speech sounds Castilian. I guess I can't recognize accents at all.

Re TBLMOE, didn't you write once that Mario Cimarro didn't do anything for you? Cimarro makes my heart go pitty pat. I don't dislike TBLMOE but well developed pecs are a big yawn for me and that seems to be what makes everyone swoon. I do think Colunga is a good actor and I enjoyed Alborada. So you know why I don't like Eduardo Yáñez - the sculpted chest doesn't do anything for me and I think he is a terrible actor.
 

Jean, I had to look up Jorge Cao on the internet to confirm my guess. In Zorro he sounded like a Spaniard, especially the "z" sound. At that time I thought he was one. But the Californios represented in Zorro were meant to be Spaniards and I think they were never mestizos like those in Mexico, having large land grants from the crown. So perhaps he was attempting to sound that way in Zorro. He definitely is swallowing the last parts of many words, typical of the Caribbean accent in A Corazon Abierto. I guessed Cuban and was right.

My "thing" for Fer was born from watching Amor Real the first time around. He was incredibly sexy in that one. And it isn't about his sculpted body, although that doesn't hurt. It's his whole essence. He radiates intelligence (has an engineering degree by the way) and also sensitivity. When he tells the protagonist how much he loves her, he never seems sappy to me, like many galans are. He always has a sidekick, and I enjoy his scenes with whatever guy is his sounding board as much as those with a woman.

Also, watching him on Cristina, it's apparent that everyone in those cast of the TN shows really, really likes him. It was especially fun watching Sebastián Rulli tease him. Despite being a major star, he never seems to treat other actors as anything but respected coworkers.

Re Cimarro, maybe he's gotten better. The only novela I watched with him was El Cuerpo del Deseo. I didn't think much of his acting in that.

I guess this is just the way it is. It's fun reading female comments on this blog and seeing which galan does it for which commenter. I get the feeling that a lot of the younger gals go wild over Wm. Levy. He's nice to look at, but reminds me of my son, who's also fair, with a really great smile and, if I do say so myself, darned handsome. So maybe having a thing for Levy would border on incest for me!
 

True, true, Novelera, it's variety that makes life interesting.
I guess my idea that Jorge Cao was Spanish was from Zorro. He was on Pasión de Gavilanes as well and I don´t remember noticing his accent in particular. I haven´t watched A Corazon Abierto enough to form an opinion.

Of the three big novelas with Cimarro, Cuerpo was my least favorite.

I´ve never seen William Levy in a novela but the photos of him that I´ve seen don´t do anything for me.

If I hadn´t seen Mauricio Ochmann in Victorinos, I would have a totally different impression of him from El Clon.

It´s nice to see the actor playing Pablo being a good guy. He is really cute and was such a bad guy on Doña Bárbara.
 

So true about Mauricio Ochmann. He's a very versatile actor. I've seen him in 3 novelas and a tiny part of Marina, in which he was replaced by another actor. I only watched the first week of Marina, not liking it very much. I saw Victoria, Victorinos and now El Clon. He never seems like the same guy from novela to novela.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder