Thursday, July 01, 2010

El Clon Thursday July 1: Summary for Discussion

A phantom that is real, a pregnancy that is phantom; two daughters in distress; and once again, Jade risks it all.

As night falls in Fez:
Jade and Lucas snuggle in the ruins as a single candle burns. Fifteen more days…
Zoraida brushes away the dust in the street and crouches down to rest there for the night.

In Miami, Roberto advises Clara to accept Escobar’s offer: she gets full ownership of the house, but he gets both cars. And Malicia is pregnant!

It is morning in the Medina and a smiling Jade picks up Zoraida from her refuge in the streets. Zoraida fills her in on the hospital story. Indeed, Abdul (who seems tonight more like a dotty, affectionate old man than the hater we have known in the past) asks after Jade’s health when she returns.

At the Empresa Ferrer in Miami, Amalia is telling Leo how fascinating she finds Enrique’s story of an encounter with Diego; perhaps it would make a good chapter in my book about you, Leo?

At Casa Ferrer, Rosa and Enrique are looking at a photo of Diego. Enrique confides that he is in treatment because Diego me pidió que me cuidara. (he told me to take care of myself.)

And in her apartment, Dora’s fretting about her belly pain is interrupted by Daniel asking if she remembers him having a childhood friend named Natalia.
Soñe con ella…que estaba en peligro…gritó mi nombre.
I dreamed of her...that she was in danger...she cried out my name. (In Spanish, you dream with – not of – something)

Idiot Karla confides to Hilda, as they pass Mohamed’s store, that she thinks Mo is smitten with her, what with all the gifts Prince Amin is sending to her in his father’s name. The actual Mohamed seems disappointingly indifferent to her, however.

Escobar comes up to Luisa and Anita at the clinic.
Felicítenme! Voy a ser papá!
Congratulate me! I’m going to be a dad!

At Said’s house, Jadiya is burning with fever. Said calls for a doctor. What his daughter wants is her mommy, even though a surprisingly tender Rania tells her that: Estoy aquí para cuidarte. I’m here to take care of you.

Nati and Alej are smooching. Then he tells her it would be good to put their relationship on hold for a while, just until things cool down. She assumes he’s breaking up with her for good. He knows she is hurt but reflects that she would feel even worse if she knew what her mother had actually said and done. She leaves angrily.

As Nati drives up to the Casa Ferrer, Alej calls her on her cell. She ignores the call. She tells Mama Rosa she doesn’t want to see anyone, especially Alej. Rosa follows her up to her room where she finds her in tears.
Mi mamá echó todo a perder!
My mother ruined everything, she wails.

Alej is calling Nati’s friends, trying to reach her or get news of her.

Andrea, at home with Lucia, asks her mother if Marisa’s boyfriend is the same Arab who was at their house... Maybe the same one who owns the bar that fired Alej. Once again, Andrea invites her to examine her conscience: is she, in shielding Marisa, committing an injustice? And once again, Lucia fudges, denies she’s lying to defend Marisa.

Pablo, at the gym with Alej, advises his friend to look out for himself, that Nati has plenty of people looking out for her. Alej keeps trying to contact Nati.

In Said’s house, the doctor has prescribed medicine for Jadiya, but the only medicine she’s interested in is her mommy. The Naz suggests he call Zoraida and get her curative tea recipes.

And while in Miami Jadiya is burning with fever and Natalia is heartsick and spiraling down into depression and drugs, in Fez, Lucas and Jade are embracing:
En 14 días, vamos a estar juntos para siempre.
In 14 days, we’ll be together forever.

Back at Ali’s house, Zoraida tells Jade that Jadiya is sick. On hearing this, Jade starts to pack, vowing that she’ll get to the US, even if she has to swim there. But you need the authorization of a man in the family, Zoraida reminds her.

Dora opens the door to her apartment and is greeted by a giant, talking surfboard. Oh, there’s little Albi, behind it, doing the talking. Aw, you’re the best dad, enthuses Daniel as an exasperated Dora looks on.

At work, Roberto jokingly asks Enrique about his ghost and Enrique stalks out. It's not a subject he's willing to be kidded about. He bumps into Carolina who finds a plastic bag filled with powder in his jacket. It’s not mine…er that is… I just need to have it, not use it….

The Public Service Announcement is continued at the Casa Ferrer, where Nati is on the phone looking for more drugs from Fernando. No, I didn’t use it all, she says; I just feel more secure having it.

Marisa is greeted by a worried Mama Rosa. Nati’s behavior has changed: she’s not eating, her sleep is messed up… Marisa brushes off these concerns as an adolescent crisis, an attention-getting ploy. More importantly, she came to pick up some shoes.

Cris, Vicki and Malicia are reviewing some PR clips that Cris has done. I’m so proud of my work, I’m tempted to send some of these clips to Leoncito, confides Cris. Malicia’s bat ears prick up. (Maybe now we’ll find out what her mysterious connection to Leo actually is).

At Empresa Ferrer, Enrique brings Leo a contract and mentions in passing that Cris has invited him to a new bar. Leo appears uninterested.

Malicia tells Vicki and Cris she has to go, she feels un poco indispuesta (a little out of sorts). Cris immediately guesses she’s pregnant. Malicia denies this firmly, saying the last thing she needs right now is to bring a child into the world. (and the last thing the world needs!)

Clara, however, is breaking the news of this phantom child to Fernando. Not only that, but he’s taking our car for Alicia! Fernando is Not Happy. (It’s the car that really gets to Fernando, isn’t it? Up to now, he’s been willing to play along with Escobar…)

Escobar, it seems, is Very Happy as he tells Anita and Luisa about his anticipated bundle of joy; he’s puzzled by Luisa’s apparent frialdad (coldness) especially when she has been so generous to Malicia, giving her all that money for her new wardrobe and all.

In Fez, Jade continues packing and Zoraida fretting about the punishment that surely awaits both of them.

Anyone who has ever been a patient in a hospital has had a nurse like the Naz, one who in a burst of noisy cheerfulness, wakes the patient from a sound sleep. Poor Jadiya, still feverish, accepts the bracelet her well-meaning Tía offers, but the only thing on her mind is seeing her mommy. Did you call her? she asks Said. No, aún no. Mañana. (no, not yet. Tomorrow). When they leave Jadiya’s room, Said admits that Jade has called several times but he won’t permit any contact. I have to go, he says. This triggers a rant, of course. (This novela depends heavily on the Self Serving Rant -- or SSR, doesn’t it? Personally I think they insert them by number.)

Jade has summoned up her Lucy persona once again. In Fez, she gets Abdul to sign a prayer (a prayer???!!!) to send to Amin. He wants to read it first, but somehow he can’t find his glasses. While Zoraida is dispatched to look for them, Jade charms him into signing the document by telling him that she will read it to him: No hay divinidad más que Allah… (There is no God but Allah…)

Fernando has an angry encounter with his father in the hotel, rejects his lame explanation for his behavior. Escobar stuns Fernando by slapping him, demanding that he show Malicia respect. Don’t ever come to me asking for anything ever again spits out Fernando.

In Fez, Jade tells Zoraida:
Lo conseguí! Voy a jugar mi vida con tal de estar con Jadiya.
I got it! I’m going to risk my life to be with Jadiya.

Labels:


Comments:
Greetings NovelaMaven and thank you for the great recap. I'm a bit confused; didn't Lucas show up at the ruins and hand Jade a set of keys that (I thought) he said were to a house he got for them? But they are still snuggling in the ruins.
I agree, Tio Abdul was very mellow tonight. No mention of lashes! He must be losing his grip.
;o)
Joan
 

Thanks for the excellent recap, NovelaMaven.

You recappers do a great service for us. Whenever I miss a day I can always catch up by reading your summaries.

I hope they don't extend this novela. The stories always seem to get watered-down when they do that.

Prinny
 

Novelamaven, thanks for your great summary.

The more I see of Jade the more I think she is a selfish brat -- thinking of only herself. She cried and cried to get Lucas to agree to kidnap Jadiya and poor Zoraids, sleeping on the street. Jade is such a little bitch.

And that Escobar or "little Mouse" how can dumb can he be...???

Ann-NYC
 

To Anonymous. The house that Lucas bought is in Miami not in Morocco. Besides, he knows that she has to wait out the 14 days before her divorce is final. It's not as if she can just pack up and move in with Lucas.
 

Thanks so much, NovelaMaven, for another terrific summary. The Spanish vocab was very helpful and your snark was in especially fine form. Malicia's supposed baby is not only the last thing she needs but also "the last thing the world needs!" Also Dora being greeted by "a giant, talking surfboard" with "little Albi" behind it. And your observation about the SSRs. I loved all these comments and more. I wish you had been one of the TN's writers! Though I fear you would have been driven crazy by your much less talented colleagues.
 

Great summary, as usual, Novela Maven. I liked the little humor touches - the giant talking surfboard - does Albieri think that Daniel is 10 years old? And saying that he will give Daniel whatever he wants right in front of Dora is pretty unfeeling. And what is it with the eternal sweeping that she does. Is Daniel tracking in sand from the beach?

I'm with you, Ann, on Jade. Tonight was a perfect example of why I just detest her character. She blithely goes to meet Lucas leaving poor Zoraida to make excuses to Abdul. Then she stays all night in the ruins with Lucas with no concern about what might be happening at home. When she finds that Zoraida has had to sleep in the street all night, she doesn't even apologize. Jeez, how can a character we're supposed to like be so selfish?

Some tidbits from over at TW:

Mauricio Ochmann was in a car accident about a week ago. The car he was a passenger in was hit by another car in Colombia where the novela is being filmed. He was not seriously injured - just some bruises and muscle strain. He took off for two days and went back to work.

The reason for the disappearance of Tío Ali is that in the original production, the actor playing him got dengue fever and was out for a couple of weeks. This production is pretty much following the original script.

I watched a You Tube video of the original series that covered part of Monday's episode. I was not too impressed with the production values or the original characters but you could see how closely they are following the original script but in different settings. For example, Said and Marisa's conversation in the original was fully clothed at breakfast not naked in bed.
 

Yet another summary that is, admit it NM, a recap. And a good one. The Spanish lessons are so fun to work with. I'm saving yesterday's and tomorrow's summaries with this one and dedicating the weekend to watching, reading, learning. Oh, to speak Spanish well!

Thanks for your and the other recappers help in that direction. Ditto commentors.

I'm so enjoying this slow moving, but "moving" is the key, novela. And am extra glad to have the summary/discussion format do increase my enjoyment.

Thanks all. Lois
 

Thanks so much, everyone. And my gosh Juanita, what a hoot it would be to be on a team of novela writers, dreaming up SSRs of my own! Hahaha!

Joan -- The house key thing was confusing, but like Anonymous, I thought the house was in or near Miami. You're right, they don't really say so, just leave us guessing.

Ann and Jean -- All that you say about Jade is true and yet... any yet... like the mother of a teenage daughter, as mad as I may get, I always end up forgiving her, hoping she's learned something from her mistake and expecting better of her the next time.
 

Jean, I just want to thank you for your mention of tidbits over at TNW. I've known the site for a while now, but I was never able to find an up-to-date forum there. Thanks to your message, I finally scrolled down the main page for El Clon (rather than looking for a link to the forum further up on the page). Duh...There it was! To be honest, I wasn't so interested in finding a forum for El Clon, since nothing could top CarayCaray, but I've been eager to see what people had to say about ¿Dónde Está Elisa?, which I'm also watching. Since CarayCaray isn't recapping that TN, I've been at a loss until now. ¡Muchas gracias!
 

Regarding the TNW Clon forum, most of the people there have seen the original, so there are spoilers throughout. Good to know, if you plan to visit.

Lois, Animo! on your Spanish efforts. Back in 2007, my novela was my main Spanish class, and Caray was my textbook. Using the recap to decipher the show, my comprehension doubled in two months. In 18 months, I went from understanding almost nothing, to recapping a show. I posted a page of what worked for me. Put in a little extra work and you'll be amazed by the results.
 

Great summary, NovelaMaven.

I also think Paula's "Care and Feeding of Recappers" post has had an effect. There's lots more comments now.

I had just about decided that the writers had completely forgotten about their very small clue early on that Malicia was interested in Leo Ferrer, but they threw us another bone last night. I thought she was going to be a stalker, but she hasn't approached him at all so far.

Loved the "Jade with a Lucy persona" part of your summary. I thought it was pretty clever getting Tio Abdul to sign her authorization to travel.

I was actually kind of surprised Said didn't jump on a plane to Morocco when he found out Lucas was there from Marisa. He's still got the big Jones for Jade. I completely cannot predict how Jade's showing up in Miami is going to affect the plot and/or the divorce. She probably will get to see Jadiya, or what's the point.

I was also upset that Jade didn't even apologize to the exhausted Zoraida. She behaves like a self-centered teenager when she gets to spend any time at all with Lucas.

ITA about our little prince Fernando finally "getting it" when he finds out the car is going away. But actually the actor got to show a few "chops". Up to now his acting has consisted in smirking all the time.

I am so bored with Enrique and Carolina. Ditto Karla and Hilda. I don't like Lucia one bit. They've gotten so repetitive with the scenes where Andrea tries to guilt her into acknowledging that Marisa faked the stolen necklace. And also repetitive the umpteenth cell phone call to pobre Robert.

Oh, I am also watching Soy to Dueña on Univision. And I have to say the acting on the Telemundo TNs is much better. It's more natural. With a few exceptions, nearly everyone overacts on Univision's offerings.
 

I agree with that part of your comment, Novelera, (actually with all your comment) about Fernando. True, it was the loss of the car that affected him but he did do a good job of acting exactly like a teenager trying not to cry when he is really upset about something.

Totally agree about Univision TN's.
 

NovelaMaven, thanks for another noteworthy recap. It was much better than the episode.

I felt so sorry for Zoraida. Jade is all about "ME".

I think Jade must be serving Tio Abdul some kind of "chill out" tea. He hasn't been himself since she return from Miami.

Thanks Jean for the information about Tio Ali. He has always been the voice of reason, I hope he reappears before long.

Everytime I see Mo bug his eyes out, I laugh. I expect them to be on springs and fall out, just like the fun shop glasses.

Rosemary


Rosemary
 

Rosemary: Excellent! Loved the concept of Mo's eyes coming out on springs!!!!
 

Novelera,

You are so right about the overacting at Univision. Those novelas are very stylized, almost operatic -- opera without music! (Except for us, the Spanish is the music.) They can be fun, though, often unintentionally hilarious, sometimes surprisingly touching. But I do need to use my mute button often when I watch them, and sometimes I have to give myself a break of a few days or even a few weeks when they are getting to be too much, even for me.

Lois, it is moving along, isn't it? And anyway, I'm in no hurry:)

Rosemary, Has Jade been serving "chill out tea" to Tío Abdul? Hahaha! I confess I had a similar thought! And like Novelera, I loved your image of Mohamed's eyes on springs!

Thanks everyone for your great comments!
 

Novelera, I'm so glad you said what you did about the overacting on Univision, and "Soy Tu Dueña" is the perfect example. I had never seen a Telemundo TN until "El Clon" and "¿Dónde Está Elisa?" They've been a real revelation for me. Yes, they too have muchas estupideces, but they're much less stylized than STuD and, on the whole, much better acted. I'd love to see CarayCaray cover the major TNs on Telemundo as well as on Univision.

Rosemary, I don't think I'll be able to watch Mohammed without thinking of your terrific remark about his eyes!
 

Novelamaven- Great recaps.

PaulH - The link you posted was helpful, thank you.

As for jade, one day I like her character & other days I don't.
For example, leaving Zoriada sleeping in the street.

kc
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder