Thursday, July 15, 2010

El Clon Thursday July 15: Summary for Discussion

Some of you may conclude that I have my beanie fastened too tightly and it is cutting off the oxygen to my brain, but I confess that I still adore this hopelessly romantic novela. And yet… and yet… tonight, my friends, we have a dud. If you taped it but haven’t watched it, you might not want to bother. You decide after reading the summary:


We are at the dance club where Nati is out of her mind on cocaine. The scene keeps cutting back to Enrique telling his story on the psychiatrist’s couch. Besides Fernando and Andrea, Pablo and Diana are also there.

When Diana hears how Malicia told Pablo about Zein and Cristina’s kiss, Diana’s reaction is surprisingly astute. She questions Malicia’s motives and concludes that she is either una tonta o una vibora (a fool or a viper).

Alej comes to Natalia’s rescue. With some difficulty, he persuades her to come home with him. She imagines that someone is following them. (Alguién nos está siguiendo.)

At the Casa Ferrer, Marisa arrives at the appointed hour for her conversation with Leo. He tells her he saw her and Said together. Her response is a shrug:
¿Qué tiene de malo?
What’s wrong with that?/What’s the big deal?
She rejects his suggestion that mixing business with personal affairs is a mistake. If Lucas can chase after Jade, she can be with Said. And I’m with Said for the same reason you go out with your women:
Compañía, amor, cariño, diversion… y que Lucas se vea mal delante de todo el mundo – excelente!
Companionship, love, affection, fun... and if Lucas looks bad in front of everyone – excellent!

At Mohamed’s place, Samira asks Latifa if marriage with a westerner would be more acceptable if a person lived all her life in the United States. Hell no, says Latifa (only she says it more sweetly.) The Naz arrives. While the sisters-in-law bicker about Jade’s intended one-day marriage (a waste of a good man), Samira slips away.

Malicia takes Cristina aside at Salamandra:
No sé como decirte esto… Pablo no era el hombre para ti. Mereces un hombre más poderoso, un multimillonario...
I don’t know how to say this...Pablo wasn’t the man for you. You deserve a more powerful man, a multimillionaire…
Then when Pablo comes in looking for Cristina, the ever-helpful Malicia says:
No sé como decirte esto…Cristina salió con Zein. (Cris left with Zein)
I’m a loyal person, says Pablo, and people walk all over me. And I, says the tragic Malicia, am such a good person that people think I’m naïve, a fool. And my boyfriend isn’t happy about my pregnancy…

That boyfriend is at the moment bursting into Clara’s house demanding to see Fernando. Fer is out dancing and drugging. They bicker. Blablablá. Clara’s date, young Felipe arrives and puts his arm around her shoulders. When Escobar leaves, Clara moves Felipe’s arm away.

Alej has brought Nati back to Gloria’s place and Gloria’s not happy about it. Nati is obviously drugged up and Gloria predicts they are the ones who will be blamed for her behavior. Alej says Nati was at a party and someone slipped something into her lemonade. He begs Gloria to let her stay. She relents saying:
Sólo por esta noche. Mañana vamos a tener una conversación muy seria.
Just for tonight. Tomorrow we’re going to have a very serious conversation.

Ramon tries to poke his nose into things, but Gloria cuts him off and tells him to mind his own business and finish closing the restaurant.

When Albieri gets home, he finds Luisa waiting for him. Don’t lie to me, she says, tell me why Lucas was in this house. Albieri evades the question and says instead:
Yo necesito darle un tiempo a nuestra relación.
I need to give our relationship some time (away)...
Luisa assumes he is asking for a divorce and demands to know who the other woman is. Albieri keeps babbling about needing time alone to take care of some problems, but whatever he says, Luisa insists he must be having an affair In frustration, Albieri says:
Debo estar hablando chino.
I must be speaking Chinese!
Not only that, she also knows that he has been keeping Daniel from her, that he has said she wouldn’t be able to accept him. And Albieri does what he always does. He runs away.

Andrea comes home to find her parents in full interrogation mode. She tells them she was at a disco with her friends and no, she wasn’t smoking. She never lied to us before, says Lucia. Why would you think she’d start now? I guess I’m afraid, says Roberto. I never thought she’d be in danger. This is the kind of thing that happens to other people.

Cut to Enrique on the couch: At first, your family doesn’t notice…

Nati, meanwhile, has snuck into the restaurant and grabbed a bottle (of wine?). Alej catches her chugging it, takes it away and guides her back to bed.

Albieri asks Padre Andres for sanctuary, at least for the night. Andres challenges Albieri. You didn’t destroy your clone, did you? that’s why you’re so nervous. Why don’t you want Daniel to call his mother? Why are you keeping your travel plans a secret from Luisa and Daniel’s mother? Is he really just your godson?

Vicki catches up with Pablo at the gym and tells him there’s nothing between Zein and Cris. The kiss was… just a kiss. What she wants to know is, what’s going on between Pablo and Malicia. She’s an innocent kid, leave her out of this, says Pablo. (Thus demonstrating that he is at least as dumb as Escobar, maybe even dumber since this is an affair with Cristina he’s jeopardizing, for pete’s sake!)

Morning comes. (Gracias a dios. I thought that horrible night would never end). Alej tells Gloria he has an important appointment. He leaves Nati asleep in his room. When Alej has gone, Gloria says to the sleeping Nati:
No voy a dejar que tú dañes el futuro de mi hijo, no te voy a permitir.
I’m not going to let you harm my son’s future, I won’t permit it.

When Carlos asks Samira to go to the beach after school, she says she can’t, she has to take care of her sick mother. It seems like you can never go, he says.

And at home, Amin casually remarks to his parents that Samira is never home. Must be because she’s exhibiting herself in the street like those women in Cairo.

Ali shows up at the house. I haven’t heard from you or Jade lately, he says to Latifa. I think, blurts out Latifa, (much to Mohamed’s displeasure) that Said is preventing Jade from contacting her family. Ali sets off to Said’s house to find out what is going on.

Said’s servant is at that moment telling him that Jade hasn’t eaten anything. Zoraida frets that she will perish from hunger. Well if she does, grumps Said, it’s her own fault. There’s plenty of food in this house.

Enter Ali. I didn’t call him, Zoraida whispers fearfully to Said. Where’s Jade? Ali wants to know. I’m correcting Jade. (Estoy corrigiendo a Jade). He tells Ali what Jade has done to earn her punishment. Ali replies that if a man has to keep his wife locked up in order to hold on to her, then it’s not a marriage. He orders Said to unlock Jade’s room.
¡Que lo abras! Lo estoy ordenando!

Credits roll.

Labels:


Comments:
wow Tio Ali let Jade out of the room! how interesting!!!
 

NovelaMaven: I am still mostly enchanted by this novela, but episodes like this are bringing me down. Waaay down. Watching Nati and Albieri self destruct before our eyes is painful. Wish I could put my beanie on snooze mode.
Thanks for the excellent summary-cap. Always, always appreciated!
Joan
 

Thanks NovelaMaven. I thought this episode was a bit better than last night's. At least the scenes and dialogue didn't feel like exact copies from earlier episodes. But I agree with you, it was still fairly dull. A few points of interest:
I'm not sure what to think about Pablo. Remember when he was dating Alejandro's ex-girlfriends for (playful) revenge? I thought he would be too cynical to fall for Alicia's tricks. Maybe she has a power that no man can resist, but some women can.

I like Gloria. She's one of the rare good parents on this show. She's headstrong, but also willing to listen and change her mind (after she cools down).

I like that Luisa has been less of a doormat lately. Her marriage to Albieri has been seriously depressing, from the start. They both have psychological problems, and they are terrible for each other. Good for her if she stands up to Albieri once in a while. (It seems everybody except Daniel is ready to interrogate Albieri. He'll have to escape!)

Now Nati is no longer able to hide her problem from people who care about her. (Forget about the delusional people she lives with, they're no help.) She was extra-crazy tonight. I guess we've entered the "show" stage of the drug plot, although the "tell" stage continues through Enrique's endless couch-monologues. It still rings a bit hollow, in the message and dramatically speaking. I still like the actors, so I hope we get to see them doing something else soon.
 

When is Albieri going to tell Luisa the truth? This whole "keeping-secrets-from-the-wife" business is getting old, but I guess that's the beauty of a telenovela....
 

NovelaMaven, thank you once again for making this episode entertaining.

Tio Ali must be staying at a Holiday Inn Express, he seemed a little smarter last night. At least he confronted Said and let poor Jade out of jail. I hope someone tells Tio Ali about the Said and Marisa affair. I really feel sorry for Zorida, she is always in the middle of everything. Tio needs to marry her and get her out of there.

I do not like Raina's little sister, she is up to no good. She needs a husband like Said.

I do not like the turn that Nati is taking. You didn't mention the advances but it showed her passed out on what looked like a beach and Daniel was standing over her, she thought is was Lucas. Will they remember that they were childhood friends?

Daniel and Lucas need to change places and start over. Marisa and Leo would be happy with another Diego and Lucas could do the things he always wanted to do. But of course, this will never happen.

I really like Gloria. She loves her baby but doesn't put up with much. Too bad more mothers are not like her.

Malicia remains a mystery.

Rosemary
 

I concur with everyone's opinion of the episode.

The drug thing is totally ridiculous. Nati barely started doing cocaine, unless she's meant to be doing something else, PCP or something. Occasional cocaine use, and I have known people who have done this, does not produce hallucinations. And I can't stand Enrique's couch sessions.

Albieri: LEAVE THE DERN COUNTRY ALREADY!!! I can't stand another repetitive scene with he and Luisa.

They saved the best for last. And that was Ali giving it to Said between the eyes.
 

Does anyone know what happened to Christina's bar? Why is she now working for Sein? What did I miss?

Rosemary
 

Sorry for being late to the party. Good work, Novela Maven, on a really boring episdoe. I can feel your pain ;-). I kept dozing off and I had to physically restrain myself from fast forwarding when we got another Enrique couch session.

So Nati is going to meet the clone. Just like with Enrique, no one is going to believe her since she was on drugs.

I think Miguel is running Cristina's bar. We haven't seen anything that would indicate that she lost the business. She met Rogelio by accident and he offered her the job as publicist for Zein's club. There has been no obvious change in her lifestyle since Leo cut off her financial support.

I agree that it would be great if someone told Ali about Said and Marisa.

I also totally agree with - LET'S GET TO MOROCCO ALREADY!!!!!
 

NovelaMaven, I forgot in my earlier post to thank you for your great work on this summercap.

I also enjoyed your preface attributing your love of El Clon to an improper beanie fit. I agree. I wish the novela weren't going on until October, but I still look forward to every episode.

I am especially looking forward to more scenes with Tiberio Cruz (Zein) with those gorgeous light blue or green eyes, so noticeable in an otherwise dark-haired person.
 

Like you, NovelaMavern, I'm hopelessly drawn to this novela and the story of Jade and Lucas. Since everyone thinks the original was so much better, I'm glad I didn't see it and never now go to links for it. This one holds me and I like it a lot.

Will be watching Mon-Fri this weekend, and using the summaries to guide me, but probably posting no more.

Have a good end-of-the-week rest. Lois
 

Many thanks, NovelaMaven, for making this dud of an episode intereting! I think the writers must all be suffering from Alzheimers, since they keep repeating the same things over and over again. I taped last night's episode, and that turned out to be a very good thing, since I was at least able to fast forward through Enrique's excruciatingly boring PSA. Why doesn't he just say yadda yadda yadda and be done with it? I think I'd even prefer watching Telemundo's commercials.

Hmmm...the only explanation I can think of other than mass Alzheimers is that all the writers are recovering addicts and they're writing these episodes as part of their therapy. But they're driving me to drink!

One thing that perplexes me is how clueless the normally savvy Cristina seems to be about Malicia. I'm hoping she wises up quickly and gets back at Malicia as only Cristina can. THAT should be fun to watch!

All I can say is that if tonight's episode is as lame as the last few have been, TGIF!!
 

NovelaMaven: Thanks for the recap. Always much appreciated!

Got to say that I am more bored with the Jade/Lucas plotline than the Enrique/Fernando/Nati situation. Actually, I like the juxtaposition of Enrique's narrative and the "teens in trouble" plot. It might be a bit dumb, and the hallucinations ring a bit hollow, but the basics of the problem and the worries that parents who cannot stop their children from stumbling into that abyss when drugs are all around and so easily obtained, hits home for me. Gloria is aware of how lucky she's been with Alej, but not everyone IS that lucky. The kids either survive by getting or staying wise and growing out of that stage or they self-destruct IMNSHO. A caring parent can only do so much. They cannot keep their kids in a golden cage anymore than Said can keep his wife imprisoned in her bedroom for a month or Mohammed can gaurd Samirah's every move after school. There is danger in this world and whether it's driving a car, sailing a boat, swimming at the beach, diving off the high-dive or meeting the wrong young man.....

I don't fault Leo or Lucas or even Marisa for Nati's "problem" either. I may be wrong, and I am obviously not schooled in the subject, but it seems that most people manage to work through their troubles without turning to drugs or crime. If not, this would be the rule and not the exception. Nati knows/knew the difference and she made her choice. People either have strength of character or they don't. Again, it's just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it..... ? 8 ? )
 

Thank you everyone for your kind comments! "May you live in interesting times" is said to be a curse. Here, "May our novela live in interesting times" can only be a sincere good wish:-)

Rosemary and Jean, I thought Ali (and everyone else) already knew about Marisa and Said. Didn't Jade tell all at the family council? Or did I misunderstand?

Novelera, I agree, I think Zein energizes every scene he is in. I would like to see more of him.

A few words on repetition:
I'm not as bothered by this as many people are, I guess. I think that in a humongous, loosely written telenovela that gets cranked out in record time, there is bound to be some repetition. It's not, after all, a tightly written and edited novel where the reader can turn back a few pages if she's confused. But I also think repetition has a lot of practical value --

*Viewers come and go; they miss episodes; they start watching weeks or months into the story. Repetition of key plot elements makes the story accessible to them.

*Sometimes a piece of script is repeated but it takes on new meaning in the later context. I think this happened the other day when Ali was telling Lucas why Jade would be making a mistake to cast her lot with him. As I said before, it sounded hollow. That made me think about the characters and story in a new way.

*Sometimes a partially repeated dialogue offers new insights, as when Said responds the same way to Amina's accusation of his infidelity as he did to Rania's accusation. Now that's interesting. Rania is a soft person who seems to care about Said; Amina is a tough cookie who knows how to play the angles. Yet both get swatted away like mosquitos by the alpha male. Submissive women, clever women, strong women -- it doesn't matter in this system where gender is destiny. Can we blame Jade for wanting to escape it?

Luke, thanks for the great comment. As for Malicia's power over men, I think it is limited to very vulnerable men. Pablo is already somewhat insecure about Cristina (remember the look on his face when he learned she had been Leo Ferrer's novia for many years?). And Escobar. Well, enough said. But Zein doesn't notice her; and Julio and Albieri had a bad feeling about her all along.
 

Welcome back Jardinera, and thanks for your comment. You're right that the 'teens in trouble' theme strikes a chord with a lot of people (myself included) and even though it's probably pretty hard to get it just right, it's worth trying for.

What can I say? I'm here for the romance, the fantasy, the parts with no redeeming social value! Watching the 'problem-focused' episodes feels like work. Sorry!
 

NovelaMaven,

I always look forward to reading your great summaries and everyone's comments. Thanks.

Erin: In response to feeling sorry for Danny. I feel that Albieri thought only of himself when he cloned him. He did a great injustice to Dora and Lucas, but especially to Danny.

Oh well, it is a telenovela.

Hope tonight's episode moves the story along a little faster.

Prinny
 

I was complaining a bit, but NovelaMaven and Jardinera are making me rethink it a bit.

NovelaMaven: you're right about the value of repetition. In many circumstances I don't mind it, and sometimes even enjoy it. It can be good to have recurring flashbacks to cool scenes, and repeated references to events and ideas that are still worth thinking about. Unfortunately, I don't think the repetition we've seen lately is worth it. I'm not thinking "Yes, this again!" I'm thinking "Oh no, this again..." :)

On the other hand, maybe it's just that lately the show has been about things that appeal to me less. I can enjoy certain stories even when they're poorly told, if they have certain elements or subjects. For example, I can enjoy something with robots even if it has no other redeeming values. But some things I can only enjoy it if they are done particularly well, or in an original way. I think that's how I am with "troubled teen" stories. There was a whole genre of such B-movies (especially in the 1950s), so clearly a lot of people find this subject interesting, whether or not the story is well told. Maybe Jardinera feels that way. And maybe I should say the show's not getting worse, it's just changing subject matter to something I'm less interested in.
 

Tiberio Cruz is muy caliente indeed, novelera!
 

I'm also drawn to this novela & enjoy so much.
I think nati's taking acid that why she always hallucinating.

kc
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder