Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dinero Thurs. Aug. 26, '10 Love Is A Many-Splendoured Thing...

Except When It's Not....

And it certainly wasn't tonight. Rafa's in an anguished rage over seeing Ale in Marco's arms. Jaime is still an unshaven mess, half-starved and unloved ,as Julieta refuses to forgive him. Dandy is equally bereft, even though Susana seems to like his present (she retrieved it from the trash after all). Pepeto is being blamed for Rosaura's marital woes ,even though he can't decide whether she likes him or hates him. And Jimenez? well, he can't even get a civil word from his wife's picture, much less the lady herself.

So the question for tonight is: Who Do Women Treat Us So Badly? (Male readers, you're welcome to offer opinions. We promise to listen.)

Now, back to our episode as it unfolded tonight. Rafa and Ale have been exchanging wounds. Every time he offers to give her a ride she says no thanks, MI ESPOSO (flash the wedding ring) is picking me up.

Rafa: But, do you love your husband?
Ale: What do you care?
Rafa: Are you happy with him?
Ale: What do you care?

Just as our galan is about to answer that question, Marco busts in, claims his territory with a macho hug and kiss (Ale grimacing) and then he and Rafa start circling each other like street dogs. Ale whisks her "esposo" off to the airport before an actual fight can break out, but Marco exits snarling that Rafa is a "naquete de medio pelo" (half-a$ed naco).

Ugh. Let's switch to the flamboyantly pink and pretty office of the flamboyantly pink and pretty Marian. She's burrowing into Julieta, establishing a" let's tell each other everything" friendship which even Julieta is finding a bit odd. Marian wants her to keep up with her studies so Rafa won't be mad, do her job in public relations as well, but FIRST, check in with her every day and let her know how things are going at home. Hmmmm. Furthermore she nudges Julieta to forgive Jaime since, after all, he kept Rafa from making the mistake of marrying Miss Vickie. Julieta says Nevah nevah!

Back at Auto Siglo, Jimenez is talking to his picture, arguing with his wife and mother-in-law and scaring the bejesus out of Claudia who thinks he's nuts. She advises him not only to see a therapist but also to have the guts to actually talk like that to his woman. Then maybe his wife would respect him. We shall see.

Miss Vicky, meanwhile, is on a rampage, Still disheveled and dragging her veil, she charges into the beauty shop and vows vengeance upon the babe and two gay guys for helping disguise Jaime and busting up her wedding. Prepare for sleepless nights, she shrieks, because you never know when your moment will come. They look suitably distressed. The fun part of this scene was hearing "bipolar" in Spanish and hearing Vicky described as "la Llorona" and the curse from "The Woman in the White Veil". Clearly our Vicky has already achieved legendary status. And so young!

Meanwhile, Rafa has reported in to Beltran. He's sold ten more trucks and he's deposited the money from the previous sale in the bank. Beltran's so happy he's ready to throw away his pills. But one more question: How are things with Ale? Is his star sales duo getting along? Rafa says they are...for now. Beltran then laments that he'll be all alone in the showroom when Doña Arcadio gives her big birthday party. He can't go because an auto dealership should never close. I think Rafa agreed to keep him company and skip the party. But I couldn't swear to it.

Maybe I was dipping into the tequila. Because the Queen and Jimenez certainly were. She gives him the great news that his architectural plans for the new business site have been approved and that he's a better architect than salesman. But don't quit your sales job yet. There are a lot of regulations and procedures to go through before all is said and done. Still, it looks great and I'm even thinking of opening up yet another business site, using your plans. They toast to this....repeatedly...while the doggies slurp up champagne and liver pâté from their bowls. Yep, another drunk scene. And there'll be more.

We segue to a bar where Rosario's swain and his lawyer buddy are discussing Jorge's trip, the possible inheritance and the future of the hacienda. But lo, what is this? Our scoundrel admits he's actually falling a little for Rosario. She's sweet, attractive and yes, she's winning him over. I'm still interested in the hacienda, he continues, but for good reasons now, not bad. But double-lo, again...as they discuss the headless horseman scheme, there's one headless horseman unaccounted for. Horrors! Could the place genuinely be haunted. We leave them looking as terrified as our trio in the beauty parlor. Zounds!

Back at the palace, Jimenez is truly in his cups, blubbering that the Queen's dogs are more affectionate than his wife. Doña Arcadio recognizes the value of affection but she also expects
loyalty, work, commitment and respect. Jimenez gets the message and drunkenly thanks her for having confidence in him. Next order of business: Get him some tacos with plenty of sauce and onions to cover up his tequila breath, or Beltran and his wife will be put out indeed!
Best part of this scene? When Jimenez wants to give her a kiss.
D.A. (making a face) Do I have a choice?
J: No.
D.A. Alright, then, but on my glove.

And kiss it, he does. Very regal.

Not so regal, an unshaved half-starved Jaime, wailing and weeping outside the house, while Leonor looks on worriedly. She finally comes out and hands him some food, eyes averted. Well, could he have a little drink to go with that? Yep. But first, he gets some advice. Quit sacrificing yourself and declaring you're ready to die. Do something positive. Win Julieta back with deeds not self-immolation. Well said, mamita.

Not so well said, is the phone message. A friend has called Rosaura to tell her Gabe has been seen with another woman. Don't you just love these gals? The General and Claudia rush to console and man-bash and when Pepeto comes lurking, they blame him for the whole mess. Rosaura doesn't want to talk to anyone, so Pepeto slinks off, another guy in trouble with his gal. Tough night for the menfolk!

Rafa's still seething. Dandy is moping. Pepeto's in dutch, and Jimenez is just plain soused. He does briefly draw Dandy and Susana together, declaring that love is a glorious thing and they're so sweet together, but the moment turns sour as our four co-conspirators decide to drown their sorrows in more drink and Susana pitches Dandy's present in the trash. You're all pigs, she snarls, as our guys beat a hasty exit. Even Trapito comes in for a dirty look.

Jorge, on the other hand, is welcomed home with shouts of joy, multiple hugs and many questions. Like: Where's Manrique and Rubi? What did the bank want to see you about? Not much info gleaned from this interrogation. Rubi, Manrique...still there. Switzerland, Sweden, whatever..... And do you know there are no "enchiladas suizas" in Switzerland!? What's up with that? Azucena is dispatched to make him some, while he questions who she is and do we owe her any money? As for the bank account, they wanted a lot of information, including a lot of numbers he couldn't remember. Nor can he remember how much money he had in said account. Oh well. Welcome home. Dinner will soon be served.

And our guys have been served. And they are all now well and royally soused. I prefer Dandy's hair when he's drunk. The pompadour disappears and he looks sexily disheveled. Meanwhile, Rafa is being encouraged to sing his blues away and he does. The refrain of his song is "no pain is eternal and I'll get over it" He doesn't look convinced. Nor does anyone else. But the bartender is so entranced he gives everyone tequilas on the house.

Aha. Vicky is seeing a regular therapist, not the sexologist. That's a relief. He's encouraging her to get over her obsession. What obsession? Her wedding was simply "delayed". Rafa is her novio, he's going to be her husband and he's going to be the father of her children. And she's going to keep on wearing the veil, thank you very much.

Therapists advice: Look around at all the men in your environs. You need to realize that Rafa is not the only man on earth. And then come back and see me.

Vicky: Do I have to?
Therapist: Yes.

Exit Vicky to reluctantly make another appointment. But clever bipolar lass that she is, she gets the receptionist to tell her when Marco's next appointment with the sexologist is, and then makes hers for the same day. So you want me to know other men! she gloats. Fine, I'll get to know Marco and this guy will help me avenge myself on Ms. Alejandra. And on that perilous note, we end.

Previews:
Looks like Vicky's planning to seduce Marco with a flame-red Victoria's Secret ensemble. Have fun with this recap, Hombre!

Vocabulary:
solo y mi alma = all by myself
naquete de medio pelo = half-a$ed naco (vulgar low-class person)
vamos al grano = let's get to the point
clavando con = getting hooked on (lawyer friend talking to Rosario's swain)
disco rallado = "broken record"
convenio = agreement (part of the business language when Ale and Marco were questioning Jorge about the banking situation)
se me va a pasar = I'll get over it
tubos de drenaje = drainage pipes or tubes (Jimenez describing the outsize rollers eternally in his wife's hair)

Dicho of the Day

No hay que morder la mano que se da a comer One shouldn't bite the hand that feeds one.
Jimenez musing on life, loyalty and pets with Doña Arcadio

Labels:


Comments:
Mil gracias, JudyB! Same to all other recappers too. I have no cable here yet (and a pathetic internet connection that's under repair) so recaps are my lifeline to the show.

Why does Vicky think stealing Marco would help her cause? Sure, Ale would be broken up for a while but guess who's shoulder she'll probably end up crying on...
 

Double JudyB recaps this week. What a treat. Your intro was great. And loved the question of the night. "Why do women treat us so badly?"

I was really cracking up at tonights salon scene. We haven't seen those guys since the wedding. I remember when this show first started I didn't care for them, but now I really find there scenes so funny. Maybe it's because they don't seem so random anymore.

I got a sense yesterday when Rosario gave Quintana that scarf that he was really touched by it.
So I wasn't too surprized at his confession tonight.

We sure have been getting alot of songs lately. I am not complaining, merely stating. I am watching La Hija de Marriachi on DVD and my favorite part is all the music.

Thanks again Judy for doing two recaps in one week. I have learned twice as many new words because of your vocabulary.
 

Great recap Judy, thanks! I completely agree with you about the question of the night. Our poor guys do need to know why the women treat them badly. I understand Susana's reason - she did see Dandy kissing another woman. But she really needs to give him a chance to explain! And Rafa broke Ale's heart, but he did explain it to her and she didn't believe him.

Great scene at the bar. The actors on this show do drunk so well. The drunken singing/reminiscing was fun.

I am loving the Vicky/Marco storyline. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this. Here's hoping Zetina catches them together!
 

Gracias Judy for such a rapid and amusing recap.

I thought the disheveled and unshaven Jaime was quite attractive. But will he take Doña Leonora's advice and try to win Julieta back by actions rather than by sacrifice?

The possibilities of Marco & Vickie are tantalizing. Can't wait to see where that is going.

Güera
 

Judy, Thanks for a second wonderful recap of the week. And it was up a the speed of light. You are amazing. We'll see if anyone wants to tackle the question of the night!

Vivi, if you're around at all-hope your sister is doing OK.

Flores, Glad to hear from you. Hope you are settling in. I don't know how Vicky trying to seduce (or appearing to try and seduce Marco will help her cause. Maybe she thinks she is just wreaking vengeance on Ale. Of course this may help our (Rafa and Ale together) cause if it looks like Marco is unfaithful to Ale.

From last episode:
Pata, sorry I didn't get a chance to tell you, I appreciate the recap. I didn't see the entire show, so I am grateful for your recap hitting a home run!

It would have been nice if Rafa could have asked Zetina how is dog was doing.
 

Good morning one and all. And thanks for the kind words. How exciting to hear from you, Flores. Other than the lack of cable and the pathetic internet connection, how is school going? Hope the new college and new job situation is all positive. I went to three different schools as an undergrad, a small liberal arts, a university in Switzerland and then finished up at my home state university. Hope you won't bounce around as much as I did.

Vivi, like Barbara and everyone here, sending you, your sister and all your family prayers and good thoughts. Come back safely to us though. We miss you.

And menfolk ...when you log in, we'd love to hear your "why do women treat us so badly? " stories. I know, I know, this kind of thing only happens in telenovelas.
 

@Flores...good question on Vicky's strategy. Her plan to seduce Marcos (if that's what it is) would be more likely to drive Ale into Rafa's arms. So go Vicky!

@Pata..so you learned twice as many words this week. I wish I had! I realize that after I write down many of these things, they exit my mind immediately. I'm still laboring through conversations with the D.R. gal...I'm great at "Hola..qué tal?" After that, pathetic! French and English come out of my mouth but seldom Spanish.

@Tracie...glad you enjoy drunk scenes. This show has more of them than any telenovela I've ever watched. As someone who's seen a lot of damage done by alcohol, I have mixed feelings but I have to agree the actors playing these scenes do it terrifically (lots of practice?)

@Güera...so you like the disheveled Jaime. I agree, it's an improvement over the kindergarten hair and eyeglasses. I'm still yearning for his Saturday Night Fever gig to reappear.

@Barbara...bless your caring vet heart. Of course Rafa should have asked how Zetina's dog was doing. Street dogs and strays have a very hard life in Mexico and you don't see many pets in these telenovelas. But clearly Zetina's pooch and Doña Arcadia's "girls" are very loved.
 

Hello everyone! Vivi in GA checking in. Judy- thanks so much for filling in for me last night. We got home from the hospital just in time for me to catch most of the show. And then this morning my nephew finally got my sister's internet working. :) We are about to head back to the hospital but I wanted to say a quick hello and send my appreciation for the well wishes.

After a 5 hour surgery on Wednesday, my sis is recovering well. She now has two rods and six screws in her back. The pain is extensive, as to be expected, but because she is so healthy and recovering so well, they may let us take her home today. Speaking of drunks, my sister spent the first night drug-calling us. Luckily we slept through most of her early am calls with crazy requests (all of which we fulfilled), but we have some really funny messages to play for her when she gets home. :)
 

Judy X 2... excellent.

Vivi, glad your sister is doing well.

"She now has two rods and six screws in her back."

Ouch! My heart goes out to her. I hope this fixes her up. I'm sure that she'll get a kick out of the replay of her drug-induced phone messages. You are a very caring sister with a slightly sly streak.

Judy, I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help with your inquiry:

"why do women treat us so badly? "

All my life, women have treated me very much like the ladies were treating Jorge last night:

no "enchiladas suizas" in Switzerland!? What's up with that? Azucena is dispatched to make him some.

Pretty much describes and sums up my treatment by women my entire life. Maybe it's my lost puppy persona.

Floresdeazul, glad to hear from you. So I hope that Hombre and I are doing justice to your time slot.

Vicki is back better than ever. What could be better than a Vicki obsessed? Yep, a vengeful Vicki.
La Llarona... Yes, this'll be fun.

I hope that Rafa's singing is going to be a regular feature. This has been fun the last 3 nights.

I'm liking doña Arcadia more and more. I fondly remember her squeaky shoes from la Madrastra. I can't wait to see her chums Betty (she's talked to her on the phone previously... I thought it might be ER of England... guess not) and Esbita.

Carlos
 

Hi Carlos and Vivi. What a wonderful surprise to hear from you Vivi and glad your sister is heaslthy and healing well from what sounds like a gruesome surgery.

@Carlos...not surprised to hear the ladies in your life have always treated you well. Keep on doing whatever you doing, old son!

Wondering if Doña Arcadia's two pals, Betty and Esbita will possibly go after Jimenez and make his harridan of a wife jealous. We need something to move her off that doleful dime.
 

Thank you Judy for the recap and the vocabulary. Very much appreciated.

I also will be thinking of you and your sister Vivi. Hope she is feeling better soon.

I agree Guera that Jaime looks a lot better in his present state.

It is nice that Quintana seems to be falling for Rosario but I think she deserves better than him.

Excited about the VVV/Marco hookup. Those two could make for some very funny scenes. I think she wants to steal Marco from Ali for revenge but the laugh will be on her. I don't think Ali will even care that much.

The drunk scenes might be funny to some and I can see why but when you have had someone in your family with alcohol problems none of them are funny. The actors do a great job at it though. Judy made the comment (lots of practice?) Maybe.

So what was the purpose of Jorge going to Switzerland (other than actors time off) when they all know he can't remember anything. And why would Rubi and other guy still be in Switzerland? I am confused.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Hi, Judy, thanks for an extra great extra recap. I liked "flamboyantly pink and pretty Marian", "Zounds!" and many more.

I'm going to try to answer the question why women treat men badly. I'm generalizing a bit, but maybe some women are a bit more sensitive than men, and they have much better memories. I remember a number of times when I said something "wrong" to my wonderful wife, and it took me DAYS to get out of the doghouse. I couldn't even remember what I said, but she could quote the entire conversation. I also think women might hold grudges longer. But the good news is that women's sensitivity can ultimately lead to forgiveness, if the man is kind, caring and gentlemanly. A man who's slighted might just move on, not giving the lady a second thought. But the woman who's slighted is still emotionally invested in the relationship. As much as Julieta furiously tells Jaime she never wants to talk to him again (same with Susana and Dandy), the fact that she's so furious means she's still interested. And that gives him hope.
 

Hi there Lynda and Hombre.

@Lynda...if Rosario deserves better than Quintana, perhaps he is on the way to becoming "better". Evidently he's thinking seriously about giving up his hunter/ womanizing ways, and also rethinking his plan to profit from the hacienda. And since, as Melinama says, these are Morality Plays, Quintana may be one of the pilgrims on the path to moral redemption.

@Hombre....you had me rolling on the floor with your tale about not remembering what you said while your wife could quote the entire conversation. Too true, we REMEMBER those slights, but yes, we prefer loving to fighting so we try and get over it. Your analysis was very intelligent and sensitive....can't imagine your wife ever staying mad at you for long.

I can also remember my mother marveling at how my dad and brother could fight one minute and be laughing together the next, while she, if angered, would fume for days. So men do seem to be able to blow if off faster...except for those fatal folks who go postal.
 

Hi Judy, great recap!!!

I agree Lynda, I don't think that Ale would give a rat's patootie (well she will be more mad at herself because she has trusted him so much)if Marco and VVV hook up. She would then be free to be with Rafa, so the laugh would be on VVV, but you know, Marco and VVV just might end up falling for one another, wouldn't that be a hoot?

I hope everything goes well at the Queen's party and that everyone gets along well, especially Rafa and Ale, maybe Marco will be busy with Chavez or Uridales, lol and will not be able to attend.

Vivi, I too hope all continues to go well for your sister and I hope that after all is said and done that she feels better than new!
My mom had some spurs removed from her back last week that were pressing on a nerve and she is still recovering, to me, there is nothing like back pain or a tooth ache.
 

Vivi,

The surgery sounds awful but I'm glad to hear that your sister is recovering well. The drug induced phone calls remind me of my mother's cancer surgery last summer. She talked non-stop for 12 hours afterward. Her roommate couldn't get a wink of sleep.

Hombre,

My brother-in-law was just complaining of just that difference in memory between ( he thinks) men and women. He says that he can remember only that a conversation may have taken place, while my sister can quote it line or line.

Güera
 

@Kat...the party at Doña Arcadias should indeed be interesting. When the salesforce get together and tequila is added, just about anything can happen. Can't imagine Vicky and Marco falling for each other, but do have nightmares about them becoming co-conspirators. Chilling.

@Güera....I know exactly why my husband can never remember conversations. He wasn't listening in the first place!
 

Judy,

Yep, I think that is usually the explanation.

Güera
 

@JudyB: Everything is going great at my new school. I'm far happier here. The classes are challenging but still enjoyable. The people are incredibly nice too. Definitely a change for the better.

@Vivi: I'm happy to hear your sister is doing better. Drug-induced messages are usually a hit on Youtube. =)
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder