Thursday, August 05, 2010

El Clon Thursday August 5: Summary for Discussion

In which Jadiya’s heart is broken; Rania wins membership in the Wicked Stepmothers Club; and The Naz shows us a person can be kind and self-absorbed at the same time.

Samira appeals to her mother for help in her budding romance with Carlos, but Latifah tells her:
Tienes que sacarte a ese hombre de tu corazón.
You have to get over him (literally: remove this man from your heart).

Zein and Jade are arriving in Miami. He wants to know if the man in her past is from Morocco or the United States but she refuses to talk about him.

At the gym, Alej and Diana continue their conversation. ¡No puede ser! (It can’t be) insists Alej. But Diana isn’t repeating gossip: She actually saw Nati drunk and high and obviously spending a ton of money. The increasingly miserable Alej remembers Lucas telling him about the money he gave her to buy appliances. I’m telling you this as a friend, says Diana:
Aléjate de esa niña, ella no te conviene.
Stay away from that girl, she’s not good for you.

We flash briefly to Nati and Paula, still high, walking along the road where we saw them trying to hitch a ride yesterday.

Luisa and Albieri are in the ruins in Fez. She asks what he was trying to do (she uses the verb: pretender) by coming here. Was he going to stay? Did he make the decision to leave her so easily?

Alí still can’t make sense of what Albieri has done. Finally he tells Zoraida:
Si sucedió, es porque Ala lo permitió.
If it happened it’s because Allah permitted it.

Dora is in Caliente, Cris’s bar, where Miguel is once again attentive to her. Vicki tells her that Cris called. She is on her way back to Miami and she’s furious with Dora. She plans to set things straight (aclarar cuentas) with Dora and Leonardo and the whole truth (toda la verdad) will come to light. ¿Pero cuál verdad? (but what truth?) asks a bewildered Dora.

The maids in Alí’s house are cowering. Zoraida explains to Alí that they are afraid of Albieri; if he comes back, they will run away. But he’s not an evil spirit, says Alí, he’s just a man, a man I’ve known all my life.

In Miami, Rania and Amina discuss the genio malo in Alí’s house. (It seems Abdul, in addition to his other charms, is an incorrigible yenta and called the good sisters to spread the word.).

Jadiya wants to know why Rania is changing everything around in the house; her mother isn’t going to like it. Rania sits down quietly with Jadiya and explains as gently and kindly as she can that Jade will be living in a different house. But Rania loves her and will take care of her… Okay. That would be in an alternate universe...

..In this universe, Rania screams in her face that her mother has gone off with another man, and that she, Rania, will do what she damn well pleases because she’s in charge now. I’m going to tell my father what you are doing, retorts Jadiya. Go, tell him, shrieks Rania. (And to give you an idea of how mean she is, Amina has to remind her to cool it, that Jadiya is just a child.).

Elsewhere in Miami Jade is burning as she recalls Lucas’s words when he asked her to trust him, that he would be there for her. Mentiroso, falso… !

Pablo shows up at Salamandra in response to a message Malicia left for him. She wants his help with a problem. She has found so many serious errors in Cris’s work that it looks like Rogelio may be giving her Cris’s job. What should she do? You should talk to Cris, answers Pablo. But what would you do if they offered you the job?
Si fuera yo, no lo aceptaría.
If it were me, I wouldn’t accept it, answers Pablo. (If clause: fuera: imperfect subjunctive of ser; Then clause: conditional of aceptar)
But this job is all I have, says the winsome Malicia, and things aren’t going so well with my boyfriend…
Oh, well, that’s different, says Pablo.

In Fez, Luisa and Albieri get Cris’s note saying she has returned to Miami. And she has taken Daniel with her!

And back in Said’s house in Miami, Jadiya is desolate. She tells her father that Rania changed everything and her mother won’t like it. Tenemos que hablar (we have to talk) says Said as he strokes her hair lovingly. But when is my mother coming back? Jadiya asks.
Nunca. No va a volver nunca.
Never. She’s never coming back.

An angry Jade accosts Lucas in the street in Miami. I don’t want to have anything to do with you, she tells him, but there’s one thing you owe me:
Quiero que me devuelvas a Jadiya.
I want you to return Jadiya to me.
Once again she tells him she has given up everything for him and he has ruined her life.

As they are talking, an image of Daniel comes to her unbidden. She seems spooked, momentarily.

He begs her to listen. He still loves her. He intends to keep his promise to her. He asks her to go to their apartment to talk. She agrees but insists she will take her own taxi there.

Jadiyah, meanwhile, is pleading with Said to bring her mother back to her. He did everything he could, he tells her, but in the end she didn’t love him and she didn’t love her daughter. She turned her back on us (Nos dio la espalda), he tells his heartbroken daughter. She rejected her veil and she rejected us. Rania will be a good mother to you now. No! cries Jadiya and she runs out of the room leaving Said slumped on the floor, weeping.

Jadiya walks downstairs, passes Rania and Amina and heads out to the garden followed by Said. R&A follow him. ¿Qué pasa, mi amor? (what’s wrong/ what’s happening my love) Just leave me alone, she says. Yes, déjala (leave her) advise R&A.

We are back in Fez with Alí and Zoraida. Said has called to say:
Jadiya no se conforma… no deja de llorar.
Jadiya is unhappy... she won’t stop crying.
Said would like Zoraida to fly out to Miami immediately to take care of his daughter. Alí tells her to go but reminds her that Jade chose her fate. And so, for that matter, did Albieri choose his fate when he had the hubris to think he could create life. But remember, says Alí to Zoraida:
No vayas a conspirar con Jade porque te corto la lengua.
You’re not going to conspire with Jade or I’ll cut your tongue out.

The following scene is all Naz:

She comes to visit Jadiya, and is appalled by what she sees. What did those animals do to you? she wants to know. I want my mommy, says Jadiya. My father says I’ll never see her again. The Naz dismisses this, saying:
Tu papá ha dicho muchas babosadas.
Your father’s talking drivel. (babosada is related to the word baba, drool)
I’ll find out the truth and I’ll tell you what’s what. But for now, how about a story?

Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Nazira. So great was her beauty that suitors came from everywhere just to gaze upon her. When she danced, it drove them mad. (Here we see the fantasy Naz belly-dancing for her admirers, an appreciative Alí prominent among them) The Princess –Odaliscas were sick with envy and so they conspired against her. (The PO’s are Latifa, Jade, Amina and Rania, of course).

One day, the handsomest man on earth (Pablo) came in search of a wife. The PO’s conspired to keep the handsome Prince Pablo from seeing Princess Nazira. Indeed, they called the executioners (Verdugos), scary black-garbed figures, to first remove Prince Pablo from the scene and then to lock up the beautiful Naz in a tower so high and far away that no one could hear her screams for help. (Mohamed and Said are los Verdugos).

With Princess Naz out of the way, the PO’s compete among themselves for the Prince’s attention. But to no avail: none of them is beautiful enough for him.

One day as the Princess Naz is bemoaning her fate, she sees a bottle in a corner. She opens it and an enormous genie pops out. She gets three wishes.

A key to unlock the tower and escape? suggests Jadiya. (Alas she is familiar with ogres locking up princesses in towers and in her experience, a key is paramount.) No, says the Naz. The genie can open the door by magic. She chooses instead:
una alfombra mágica (a magic carpet) y una varita paralizante (a ‘paralyzing’ wand)
[So if anybody can spot the third wish, let me know. I count only two.]

The genie releases her from the tower. When the PO’s see that she is free, they call for the Verdugos. But Princess Naz taps all but Prince Pablo with her magic wand and her enemies are frozen. Then Princess Naz and Prince Pablo run away to get married. After several days flight on the magic carpet, they reach his kingdom.

Both the Naz and Jadiya take comfort in the story.

In Fez, Alí is smoking his water pipe (What is in that pipe? Does anyone know?). Albieri is with him and tells him he’s going back to Miami that very night. Alí says:
Me buscaste para que te aconsejara y lo voy a hacer. Creo que debes hacer público lo que hiciste.
You sought me out so I could give you advice, so I’ll do so. I think you should make public what you did.
He goes on: In the godless west, it will probably make you famous. Maybe they’ll give you prizes. But on Judgment Day, you’ll see what’s more important: the prizes or the lives you destroyed to do your experiments.
Albieri says he’s more concerned with how he’ll be judged on earth. Alí reminds him that everything earthly is ephemeral. Only Allah is eternal.

In the final scene, Lucas is begging Jade to let him explain what has happened. She remains stony. Don’t dare lay a finger on me again, she tells him. It’s over. Nunca estuvo escrito. (It was never written).

Labels:


Comments:
the thing that he smoking is called a hookah a lot of people smoke it its basically flavored air that gets you a little dizzy any ways great re cap because i missed my novela today but i will watch it on telemundo. com tomorrow
 

NovelaMaven: thank you, thank you for a wonderful recap! I thought we would be seeing Hurricane Cristina make landfall in Miami in this episode but alas, no. However, the whole episode was worth watching to see that fairytale that Naz told Jadiyah. A great bit of comic relief from the druggies, harpies, and tyrants.
Mohammed's eyes were popping out as he portrayed the verdugo, too funny!
Joan
 

Thanks NovelaMaven. Very nice, especially the Rania scenes and the fairytale.

This is my favorite episode so far, because of Nazira's story, of course. I felt like I was watching a different show... an awesome show. That's by far the longest fantasy sequence we've seen, and it wasn't just a fantasy about being with a certain someone (although it was that too!), but a roman à clef fairytale to cheer up Jadiya. It's cool to see Nazira do something different, because Andrea Montenegro is fairly versatile, and we usually only see her clownish tantrums. She looked better with less makeup, not making goofy faces, in her fancy gown and bellydancing getup, etc. (though I think she had a body-double for the dancing, and probably Amina did too). Mohamed and Alí also made a nice impression, but it was Nazira's show. I would totally watch that show.
(I'm guessing her first wish was that the genie open the door magically, without a key.)

The other cool thing is it's nice to see that somebody cares about Jadiya. This is one of a few occasions where Nazira proved to be her best friend. Now I'm sure Said loves Jadiya in a way, but he was manipulating her this episode, trying to turn her against Jade. Convincing her that Jade wasn't coming back wasn't enough, he had to lie too. However, he was right about one thing: Jade's actions show a lack of concern for her. At this point, I'm not sure whether she could get custody of Jadiya (although if the thing ever went to court, it would probably come out that Said has an illegal love compound). And Rania... well, as NovelaMaven noted, even Amina had to hold her back (which was pretty funny).

I like when Zoraida tells Alí about genies. He doesn't say anything about it, but you can tell he thinks it's ridiculous superstition. Also, yay Diana and Miguel and boo Alicia. And Jade's vision of Daniel was creepy (what the heck?).
 

NovelaMaven, thank you for the great recap. This was definitely worth watching. All of the children in this TN have been so unhappy as of late, it was nice to see the Naz, of all people, having a kind heart and helping Jadiyah. There are some days we could all use a nice fairy tale.

Said has no heart. I cannot understand what exactly he thinks love is. Jade had settled into married life with this jerk and was content but he had to drag Lucas back into the picture and make everyone, including himself, miserable. In the end, even his daughter will not like him.

Rosemary
 

Great recap, Novela Maven but I must have taken a grumpy pill. I thought the episode was just filler with the exception of Jadiya finding out what a bastard her father is. The whole dream fairytale sequence was amusing only because the cast seemed to be having a great time. Latifa's harem girl hat kept sliding off her head. Other than showing once again that the Naz has a soft spot for Jadiya, it didn't move the plot forward at all.

Now Jade demands that Lucas get Jadiya for her? This is after she told Lucas to get out of her life and she made her agreement with Zein and went back to Miami with him without ever even mentioning her daughter. Jade only cares about her daughter when she isn't besotted with Lucas. If I were Lucas, I would say to Jade: I didn't ruin your life. We both got some tough breaks but we have to deal with our problems as adults. I'm trying to deal with my daughter's drug addiction. When you want to act like an adult and have an adult relationship, call me and I'll help you out.
 

Thanks all!

Anon 12:57, Thanks for the clarification. I've always associated hookahs with hippies and headshops and hashish and what with all the drug subplot, well, I got to wondering...

Joan, I also expected Hurricane Cristina last night, but was delighted with what we got instead. And I bet the actors enjoyed showing their comic chops!

Luke, Yes! Of course! The first wish was opening the door magically without a key! And I agree, the Naz rules. Well, sometimes...

Rosemary, I also like to see the Naz being kind -- remember when she was the one who let Jade in to see Jadiya when she was so sick? That was a nice moment too.

I'm not sure I agree with you about Said being heartless -- he wasn't exactly enjoying Jadiya's pain, even if he himself was responsible for it. I think he's proud and stubborn and once he takes a position, he becomes entrenched in it. Yes he causes a lot of pain because of his wrongheadedness and wounded pride, but he's not truly sadistic; he's not a pulling the wings off a fly kind of guy (like certain other characters -- although I'm not naming names, Malicia!) I think I said once before that I see him as a TN version of Othello, a tragic figure destroyed by jealous love.

Jean, of course you're right. The plot hardly budged last night. Maybe you'll get some good juicy action tonight, especially if more people are let in on Daniel's identity and origin.
 

NovelaMaven, thanks so much for the great recap. I think I'm going to go back to calling them recaps, since as far as I'm concerned, what you and Jean have been turning out every night are every bit as good as the longer versions.

I have to confess, you gave me one bad moment. When I started to read about Rania and Jadiyah and how Rania "sits down quietly with Jadiya and explains as gently and kindly as she can that Jade will be living in a different house. But Rania loves her and will take care of her," I had a momentary panic and thought "Oh my God, I really misunderstood big time!" Fortunately, I continued reading. :-) Loved it!

I was moved to see Said so upset about Jadiyah. And it was good to see that he's capable of facial expressions other than scowling.

I don't have much to add to what others have already said. Much of the episode was simply marking time, I felt. Yes, the Naz's fairy tale was great fun (and probably most of all for the cast), but while I enjoyed it, I nonetheless found myself a bit impatient at the same time. Between the writers dragging this TN out to make it far longer than it should have been, and Telemundo parcelling out the final episodes of ¿Dónde Está Elisa? in daily half-hour segments to keep it going for as long as possible, I'm out of patience (though I never was a very patient person to begin with). Anyway, I'm hoping that tonight's episode of El Clon will again move the plot ahead.
 

NovelaMaven and Juanita, was Said crying because he lost Jade and his heart was breaking or was it because he had hurt Jadiya?

Rosemary
 

Rosemary- We don't know exactly why Said was crying - no thought bubble. I assume he was crying for both reasons- he had lost Jade and hurt Jadiya.

I was interested to see that Ali finally came to my conclusion - if Albieri made Daniel, then it must have been ok with Allah.

Ali telling Zoraida not to conspire with Jade to get Jadiya back was like telling the sun not to come up. Zoraida is putty in Jade's hands and Zoraida knows perfectly well that Ali isn't going to cut her tongue out.
 

Rosemary, I'm with Jean, I think Said is crying for both reasons. In a way, he thinks of himself and Jadiya as a single entity and that entity is grieving because "Jade left us"; because "Jade tore us out of her heart".

Juanita, thank you! I'm a little embarrassed to tell you that although I do want to know how everything turns out, I'm not all that anxious for this novela to end. Of the current Televisa/Telemundo line-up, it's the only one I enjoy. (Too late for 'Elisa', which is on its way out.)
 

Like others have said, not much to choose from in this episode.

Little Jadiya made me tear up; now that's a "rompecorazones." It's also pretty sad that Said wept too. But on the bright side, he and his family make me want an entourage so bad!

Rania showed me her true colors...

Rosemary, living with extended family members is a norm in many collectivistic cultures, like pan-Hispanic cultures. (The U.S. is more individualistic) With one foot in the U.S. and one in the Caribbean, it took me a while to adjust to differing values about things like "Aunt Dot moving in." :-)
 

NovelaMaven great work by you and Jean on this novela thank you so much.I started watching this novela full time now from reading your great recaps and just wanted to say keep up the great work.

Juanita all i can say is what they are doing to DEE is criminal and that new novela that comes on after it is must not be all that great. Sad that it will be ending on Tuesday.

NovelaMaven i'm going to have to disagree after Perro Amor ended i was ready to go full time to STUD but surprisingly El Fantasma of Elena has pulled me in. It's another mystery novela for those who like that type of novela.

Now for something interesting i discovered yesterday, on the channel Mun2 it's a Spanish channel that has music videos and Spanish movies they show Decisiones with English captions at the bottom. You don't have to do anything they are already put on by the show.I was pleasantly surprised by this because my CC's don't work on my TV. They are showing Mas Sabes El Diablo right now late night at 11:00pm so if anyone wants to watch that novela it almost near the end from what i saw they were showing but you can watch with English subtitles at the bottom on your screen.
 

It's possible that when Mas Sabes El Diablo ends they may start showing El Clon after it ends.
 

Excellent recap, complete with grammar lessons, NovelaMaven.

I was furious at Said. In the end it's always all about him. Rather than try to explain in a way that would cause the least pain that her mother would not be returning, he uses her as a crying towel for HIS pain. Your mother never loved me and she never loved you either. Great!

I enjoyed The Naz's fantasy. True, it didn't move the plot, but I can just imagine how much the actors must have enjoyed filming it.
 

what was wonderful about Perro Amor, and DEE was that they didn't drag on anything too long; no merry-go-rounds. and both end just when you're ready for them to.

the Naz is hilarious! I really only started to like her when she became an aunt; she's wonderful w/ her nieces/nephew.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder