Monday, September 06, 2010

Dinero Mon. Sept. 6, 2010 Of Cookies And Cake, Love And Desire, And Throw In A Little "Buleria" To Boot

Another crazy evening with our mad, mad, mad buddies on the Dinero show. Dandy gets a minimal meal but a fabulous evening of yogi lovemaking....off camera. Jaime, Vicky, Marco, Milagros and Marian all strike out in the romance department. Rafa thrills Ale with a return to their early morning phone calls. Jorge still can't remember a goshdarned thing. And David Bisbal shows up at Auto Siglo and gets mobbed by the sales force. Don't ask me what that cameo appearance was about 'cause I don't know. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. I do like his Buleria song and it's very danceable. And that's all I have to say on that subject.

But I've got lots more to say about what happened tonight. So settle in and we'll get started. New stuff begins with Dandy and Susanita chanting "Om" and looking very cosy. Well, one is concentrating and meditating; the other is twitching, asking questions, thinking about dinner and sneaking candy out of his pocket. (Dandy meditates like I do. Whadda guy.) Anyway, his "Om" morphes into an "Ummmmm" but Susanita wisely ignores it.

And Rafa would like to ignore Jaime but our hysterical sidekick wedges half his body in the front door and eventually pushes his whole neurotic self in. Rafa's suspicious now that he knows Julieta found Vicky in Jaime's apartment. Even if it was a trap....why does Jaime always fall in it? Multiple excuses, explanations and regrets fly out of Jaime's mouth at a million miles an hour. Here's the short version: Vicky forced me. Her brothers intimidated me. And just today it came to blows. But my cousin, the boxer, defended me.

Back to our lovers. Finally our hungry man gets to eat. One little ball of tofu covered in yogurt with some alfalfa sprouts on the side. Yum! Well it seems one musn't eat heavily at night. The metabolism slows and it could give you nightmares. Well heck, he wasn't planning on sleeping. Same deal. No heavy meals before heavy exertions. With the promise of a fabulous new sexual pose to come, Dandy not only makes do with one miserable ball of tofu, he even offers half of that to Susana. Ah love! Who can understand it?

Well, not Julieta. We get the classic telenovela question when she arrives to find Jaime twitching in her front room. QUE HACES AQUI? And she threatens to go to her room without eating (even though she's starving) if Jaime doesn't get out. Señor Twitch deflates suddenly and slinks off, tail between his legs. Poor poor Jaime.

Because whom does he meet going out? Vicky Vicky Vicky coming in. Hoisting a big sheet cake she's made as a reconciliation gift. Before making the peace offering though, she sneers at Jaime "I thought I forbade you to come to this house." Yep. Poor poor Jaime.

But not Dandy. Dinner has ended. Kisses and erotic promises have begun. "Esto es vida" (this is the life) he exults and off they go.

We'd love to go with them (always ready to learn something new, right?) but the cameraman leads us back to Marco and Ale. Dang! He's quizzing Ale on what happened between her and Rafa. She's saying it's none of his business. After all, he's certainly had relationships with other women before her. That's different! I'm a man! Well, think what you like, snaps Ale. But before we get involved in a destructive relationship, maybe we should just divorce. Time for the ads while we and Marco think that over.

Mientras tanto, Vicky and her mega cake aren't making much progress. Rafa wants to know why she's there. After all, they've broken up. Does your dad know you're here? he adds. The whole family is trying to hustle her out when the doorbell rings again and it's Marian. This produces a mega-explosion. Vicky wants to know why she's there. Marian wants to know why Vicky's still wearing the veil. BECAUSE I WANT TO! AND I'LL BE LEAVING NOW shrieks Vicky, and mercifully, that's all we get of crazy jilted fiancée tonight.

Unless you count Marco. Because that's where he's headed. Though he reminds her of all the good reasons (family) that Ale decided to marry him, she's stamping her little feet and saying "But what about me!? (¿Y yo qué?) What about my happiness? I'm tired of thinking about everybody else. I'm fond of you Marco and I'm grateful for all you've done. But I'm not in love with you. Marco makes a bid for time and intimacy. We'll look for an apartment for just the two of us, and leave this one to your dad and your aunt. But if it doesn't work out, we'll separate. But we have to TRY, Ale. She seems to consider this (No Ale! noooooo) when Jorge wanders out thinking that someone is yelling at him. Once up, he decides he wants to play poker or some other card game and Ale off loads him on Marco while she scoots off to bed....alone.

But the evening's drama isn't over yet. We find ourselves at the hacienda where Camarón, Chavez and the cowering hacienda help, are facing the fearful headless horseman. Camarón whips out a gun and fires two shots at the ghost. And nothing. Head for the hills folks because this fantasma is real. And the hacienda is truly haunted.

After another round of ads, we return to our terrified menfolk. Seems the prospective buyer is quite a marksman. He never misses. So fer' sure the property is cursed. And all those gunshots are probably going to put the cows off their milk (les va a espantar la leche). Curioser and curioser.

Goodness, let's get back to a more cosy reality. Marian, Rafa, Julieta and Leonor are now gathered round the table enjoying Vicky's cake, sans Vicky. Marian has to admit crazy novia is a good cook whereas Marian can't even boil water (se me quema hasta el agua). Well, we're not really here to talk about cooking are we? Julieta and Leonor fade away and Rafa and Marian are ready to talk turkey.

R: Where's Daniel? Didn't he come with you? Or is he about to burst in and interrupt like he always does when we're alone together?
M: Are you jealous?
R: No way. (para nada) But what's the game here? One day you like me. The next, you have a boyfriend.
M: Well, it's true, we were novios for a few months. And since you came on the scene, he's become very attentive because he knows he could lose me.
R: If he's the one for you, go for it.
M: Are you telling me I don't interest you at all?
R: Look Marian. I'm just trying to get myself back together. The woman I loved got married. I'm still a mess.

The evening ends with Marian being understanding (and disappointed) and Rafa being awkward and twitchy. He reminds her that the trucks are bing delivered tomorrow and they bid each other good-night with a few botched cheek kisses and a walk to the door. After she leaves, Rafa talks to himself: How can I explain (to Marian) that today I finally have hope of getting Ale back?

Someone else has hopes as well. Milagros is busying herself around a fusty old parlor, awaiting the arrival of Ramirez who is startled, and horrified, to see her. She's whipped up a platter of cream cookies because his "sagrada mamita" said those were his favorite. They are not! Well, let's talk then. Did you go to Mass this week? No. Never go. Have to work on Sunday. But if you work on Sunday you'll never have time for your wife and children!!! Who said I wanted children!? That's it for Milagros. She denounces Ramirez as an atheist and a brute (grosero) grabs her cookies and whisks out the door. An outraged mama sends sonny off to bed with no dinner (and no cookies) muttering that his girlie magazines and his bad companions have led him astray. Crossing herself before the mini home altar, Sagrada Mamita heads off to bed. So does Ramirez.

Ale is tossing and turning in bed herself, realizing that she doesn't love Marco and will only have a chance at happiness if she divorces. But if only Rafa would stop hurting her! But could he be right? Is Marco not what he seems?

To borrow Private 057's phrase...." Just like that, it's a new day." And Ale's telephone is ringing. She sees who it is. She's thrilled. She's hesitant. She's excited. She's.....(Answer it already Ale!!!!) She finally does.
R: Are you with your husband?
A: No.
R: (in a delighted, warm, intimate voice) I have to pick up the trucks and collect the money today. Do you think you could handle the meeting for me? I'd sure be grateful.
A: Of course. My morning call to wake me up. Like old times.

We have nice shots of both of them looking punch drunk and crazy happy in love. Ah it's been too long. Let's just stop here and enjoy it for a moment.

Nope. Sorry. More ads and then back to business. Rafa wakes up hungry as a bear (un hambre de léon (lion). Although hearing about the new guy at work almost cuts his appetite. Cesar? Cesar who. What's his last name? Is he decent? Julieta accuses him of planning to research the guy on the internet. She's probably right. And I'm sure Carlos would agree that big brother Rafa has reason to be concerned. This guy looks like a preppy snake.

At Marco's apartment, Ale is equally hungry and radiant with happiness (and wearing a cocktail dress to the office!?...well it's very fetching anyway). Marco wants her to go with him to look for apartments but she counters that she has to work. He'll have to look by himself. He cozies up and strokes her bare arm suggestively, murmuring that he'll be on the hunt for their own little love nest (nido de amor). Ugh. Ale's so blithely happy, she doesn't even notice the attempt at fondling.

Back at Auto Siglo, our perpetually incompetent carpenter still hasn't put the door up between Rafa and Ale's office. No problem. Rafa's thrilled. Susana though has some questions for our galan. What do you feel for Ale? I love her. I'll do whatever it takes to get her back. Then why did you agree to marry Vicky? Her dad lent me the money to pay Ale back. But in return he demanded I marry Vicky. Susana is horrified. See, that's why I don't tell you the truth, protests Rafa. Well, you should at least tell the truth to Alejandra, counters Susana. I DID! I told her the truth about Marco and she didn't believe me. As they both conclude that Ale doesn't deserve a scum like Marco, she arrives and wants to know what they're talking about. Hey must be time for more ads!

Jorge the Confused is sure of one thing. Once Ale and What's His Name move out, and Rosario and What's His Name get married and decamp, he'll be left all alone in the apartment. And that's not right. Marco promises that he and Ale will move back in with him when that happens. But his phone rings right then. He pretends it's Urdiales but he's not going to answer. Too early. But Jorge scoots off so he does....and it's Chavez. Drunk and terrified, cowering in the wine cellar of the hacienda and ready to beat a fast retreat. As long as his buddy Camarón is still ready to pose as the fake buyer, Marco doesn't care. Now sober up, get out and go home, he advises.

Our final scene? Trapito is brandishing a mop and gouges yes, none other than....the great Spanish singer David Bisbal. I'd know those curls anywhere. One of the hospitality gals butchers his song "Brujeria brujeria..." she warbles. It's "Buleria, buleria" he corrects and then gets swarmed by all the salesfolk, Claudia and her cleavage in the forefront. And on that cozy note, we end.


Previews:
A slew of scenes. The only one that stood out was Claudia on the phone to Marco, telling him that Ale and Rafa at work were thick as thieves (come uña y mugre).

Vocabulary:
vamos a comer un pollito = we're going to have a little talk
los fantasmas me pelan los dientes = (lit. ghosts skin my teeth) (fig. ghosts scare the s**t outta me? help....)
esto es vida = this is the life!
correr a patadas = kick him out, run him off (Julieta about Jaime)
galletas de nata = cream cookies
embriagarse = to get drunk (Chavez)
les va a espantar la leche (the cows will be "off" their milk)
se me quema hasta el agua (I can't even boil water)
un transa, un tranza = a crooked guy (Marco)
un mujeriego = a womanizer (also Marco)
nido de amor = love nest
despeinado = bedhead
qué mosca te picó = what's got into you?
como uña y mugre = (lit. like fingernails and dirt) (fig. thick as thieves)

Useful phrases

ser un higado = to be totally obnoxious (Marco?)
ser encajoso(a) = to be pushy or try to take advantage of people (Marino?)
se hace guaje = to pretend to be stupid (any of these characters at one time or another)
ser largo (a) como la cuaresma(Lent) to be very long, interminable, very slow to conclude (these telenovelas when they extend them!)

Labels:


Comments:
Morning Judy. Nice intro. I always look forward to Mondays recap, and once again was not disappointed.

This was a crazy episode. The Vicky cake scene was funny. I was cracking up when she stormed off and Marian stayed behind to join them eat cake. I might have been just a little concerned she had put something in it.

Dandy and Susana back together. That's the best. They are so cute.

I so enjoyed the morning wake up call to Ale. That was fun to see ALe all excited. "Answer it all ready" was exactally what I was thinking. And her morning entrance to the breakfast table was funny, touseling Marcos hair and rubbing Jorges head.

Last night was really fun, and you added to that fun with your lively recap. Thanks again. I so enjoy this show!!!
 

Thank you so much Judy. Also thank you for the vocabulary. You always do such a great job.

I was so happy to see Susana and Dandy back together. Now with Susana on board it shouldn't be too long before Marco is exposed.

It was so funny at the hacienda when that guy just pulled out a gun and started shooting. Reminded me of Indiana Jones when he just pulled out a gun and shot the guy with the big knife. I was surprised that it seemed to be a real ghost though. Could have been just something tied on the horse instead of a real person.

And what to do about VVV. She has just gone BSC. She is still pretty funny though. I wonder if the actress is having a good time playing her.
 

Love your recap. I am in the land of no univision QUE COLMO and couldn't see it - and CAN'T RECAP tonight. I wrote Private 57 about doing it but no answer. Can somebody fill in for me?
 

Melinama, Not 100% certain but don't think there is any Dinero tonight. I could be wrong. I thought they said see you on Miercoles.
 

Hi Melinama. Not to worry. If there's a show and Private doesn't recap it, we'll get'er done. Enjoy your time in California worry-free.

@Pata, I agree that the morning phone call scene was really sweet. I love Ale in her "in love excited" mode. In her B***CH mode, not so much.

@Lynda...good recall on the Indiana Jones movie. I'm excited that there's a real live ghost at the hacienda. Enough of these evil doings! Let's have a little revenge from the Great Beyond.
 

Excellent Judy. A great recap of a fun episode.

I'm disappointed that Ramírez was so rude to Milagros. I thought he was always a polite gentleman. Not this time. Good for Quieta, sending him to bed with no dinner. I know that he's a big phony, but I really expected better from him.

Sorry we didn't see Curls again. I hope we see and learn much more of him.

Pata is correct Melinama, no Dinero tonight, futbol and STuD instead.

Carlos
 

Thanks Judy, great recap! This was a fun episode. I enjoy seeing Rafa and Ale excited and in love. I have hope that they'll get back together soon! When Ale woke up to the phone ringing, my first thought was that it's a dream like they've done to us before. So glad it wasn't. That little scene was adorable. So much more happened last night but that was my favorite part!
 

anybody know which capitulo number it was?
 

Hey Tracie, I thought they were going to do that dream trick too. So glad they did not!!! And Judy I forgot to thank you for the vocabulary.
 

Judy, as always, a stellar recap, and very helpful vocab. Thanks.

Melinama, I'm pretty sure that was episode 190.

I also was cheering at the phone call between Rafa and Ale. Finally!

I was a little worried when Camaron shot the headless horseman. I still think it's just some cardboard on top of a horse, but it's a good thing he didn't shoot the poor horse! Or, maybe it really IS a ghost. That would be fun.
 

hi All. Thanks for the episode number Hombre. I never know.

Tracie..."once burned twice shy", I think we were all wary that the happy phone call was just a dream. How nice that it was the real deal for once.

@Carlos...yes, a little shocking that Ramirez was so rude. Maybe he was afraid that anything more subtle would be lost on Sagrada Mama and her protegée. Oh well, he DID get sent to bed hungry.
 

Judy, I loved the title. Your recap was sensational and had me smiling all the way through. I wish I has seen the episode if only to view "our hysterical sidekick wedges half his body in the front door and eventually pushes his whole neurotic self in". Your vocabulary and phrases were marvelous! The embedded vocabulary was an added treat.

I laughed at Dandy "sneaking candy out of his pocket". I have to admit it is what I would do if I had "One little ball of tofu covered in yogurt". Can't blame him there.

Your recaps paint such a vivid picture Judy! Simply great.

I did write a comment this morning but I don't see it. Heaven only knows where it ended up...

Diana
 

So glad you "re-appeared" Diana. Usually you're the first person in the morning so I worried that maybe you hadn't made it back from the Labor Day holiday. Hope you got to see your husband over the break or at least have hopes of seeing him soon.

Rafa's place was like a revolving door last night. First Jaime. Then Julieta. Then Vicky. Then Marian! Susana and Dandy were cute last night; as were Ale and Rafa. At last!

Thanks Diana. Glad you're with us today.
 

What a fun episode. There were so many moments to smile at. We got a bit of VVV in high loca mood -- but not enough to grate on us. She IS funny running around in that veil. Then there was the cake eating scene, followed by , at last, an honest setting of boundaries for Rafa & Marian. Then the adorable meditation scene with lovestruck Dandy & Susana.

But the best had to be Ale's bedtime speech to herself in which she admitted that Marco may not be what he seems. I almost jumped to my feet and did a Rafita, Rafita, Gol dance.And that was followed by the early morning phone call. The parallel scenes of Rafa & Ale alone in separate beds declaring their love and then the high spirits and good appetite with which each greeted the family at breakfast were as usual charming.

Judy, As always what a great recap and the vocab. Thanks. I have to go look up Bisbal & Buleria. I'm not familiar with him or his song.

Güera
 

Judy, I love the way you write. It's like taking a tour of the action in a duck boat on jet fuel. That's a good thing. Great vocabulary notes, too.

So, no Curls, but a different curls. Quite the random cameo. Quite the unprofessional staff, mobbing the poor guy like that. Can't a singer just buy a new Ford in peace?
 

Lol Julia! :)

Judy- Everyone else has already said it so well, but you started us off amazingly this shortened work week.

There were quite a few good scenes last night, but Susana and Dandy meditating, eating their balls of tofu and making their way to the bedroom to explore the new position was hilarious and oh so cute at the same time. Now, early on in their relationship when Dandy started to eat the way Susana does, she gave him an out. When she saw him suffering, she said he didn't have to eat that way. But he decided to throw himself in 100%. It has obviously made him limber and healthy enough to follow Susana's athletic lead in the bedroom. I thinks the first time round he was hurting pretty badly- happy, but hurting. :)

Yay Ale and Rafa! So glad he worked up the courage to just call her. It was such a simple thing, but it made them both so happy. Love it when Ale pretends to shine Jorge's bald head and gives him kisses, and it was hilarious the way she mussed Marco's already crazy hair.
 

I just spent a few minutes in youtube getting to know David Bisbal. This cameo just opened up a new musical world for me. But yes, I echo Julia. Can't a singer just bu a Ford in peace.
 

Glad the show has put you onto David Bisbal, Güera. His album Buleria has quite a number of very danceable songs. On another album, he has a great song "Ave Maria". Before I knew that phrase was just used as an interjection (like Wow!)rather than a prayer, the rockin' pace of that song really had me confused!

With more sly amorous scenes with Susana and Dandy, and some frankly happy ones with Ale and Rafa, I can cope...but it's been a long lean period up until last night.

@Julia...amiga mia...what's a duck boat on jet fuel!? Are we just talking a speedy turn around the lake? I remember when Cherylnewmexico called the shrill heroine of Juan Querendon a "harpy on jet fuel". You really brought back the memories.

@Vivi...thanks for reminding us about Dandy's aches and pains during the initial phases of his romance with limber vegetarian Susanita. He has certainly shown himself commited to change and worthy of love. Now no. more. breakups. please!!!!
 

@ and Carlos...I LOVE that picture of Bonnie Belle. Has Barbara (our vet) seen it yet?
 

Judy, you know those WW2 amphibious vehicles that have been turned into a tourist attraction in a lot of cities, and you ride around seeing the sights while a crazy driver/tour guide plays clips of rollicking music and tells jokes and gets everyone into a fine holiday frenzy and quacking on their duck whistles and waving at pedestrians? Your recaps are like that, at whiz-bang speed. Fun and fast, and not letting the water hazards get in your way and slow you down, is what I'm saying.
 

Thank you Judy, great recap of such a fun episode. Loved your take on everything.

VVV HAS gone BSC, I just hope that she can be redeemed. I wonder when she is going to start working with Marco?

Well with only a little over a month (supposedly) to go we should start opening up some of Marco's little secrets here and there, hopefully!

I also agree that maybe now that Susanna is in the loop, she can help with Ale, we said a while back that if she got in with the guys she would be a big help!!

I am probably going to spell this wrong, but what does etapa culminarios mean? I think that it is like important/informative episodes, but not sure, thanks in advance for the help.
 

Kat, etapas culminarias means the final phases. Friday felt like the beginning of a new phase with Ale deciding to ditch Marco. Happiness from here on out?

No, I didn't think so.

Carlos
 

I've been bummed all day to see that there is no show tonight and then to see that we are in the etapa culminaria saddened me also. I'm going to miss this show. But I see that I need to clear an hour from my schedule to finally get to see LFMB. My VCR is going to be busy for a few weeks trying to keep up with Dinero, StuD and now Fea. Wow. ( Or should I say Ave Maria! )

Güera
 

Ave Maria Güera, you pick up on new lingo fast!

@Carlos, thanks for answering Kat's question. Really, only a month more to go? Didn't realize that. Well, I often get vague about dates and numbers of episode.

@Miss Julia...you sure have added to my cultural knowledge today. So glad I asked. I've never heard about those tours..is this a Seattle thing? Sure doesn't happen in land-locked Ohio. But hey, I'll take that compliment and cherish it.

And hooray for love, for the headless horseman, for unmasking Marcos and "happily ever after" on the horizon.

Also looking forward to Fea Mas Bella. Missed the beginning episodes and was just starting to learn Spanish then. Didn't know about closed captions. Was LOST...but fascinated. Now when I return, know I will be surprised to see how much more I understand. Can't wait!
 

Not to disagree with everyone, but I'm pretty sure there are 40 episodes left, which is actually 8 weeks, or 2 months. I predict we'll finish around the start of November.

As for etapas culminantes, I translate that as "Climactic stages" or phases. The final phases would be últimas etapas. Usually they start those with 5 weeks left.

Sorry for the nitpicking, but we may have a few more snags before things really start wrapping up.

But I'm lovin' every minute of it!
 

Hi Hombre,

I saw the notice last night which actually said, etapa culminante, which I take to mean that the stage is set (all the pieces in place) for the buildup to a climax, hence peak phase (etapa culminante). In any case I think we'll finally see this thing moving right along up to the end.

Carlos
 

What a fun and diverting recap Judy! Thank you so much for such entertainment and then your usual high quality, appreciated vocabulary and phrases.

Got behind, have been struggling to catch up. Unfortunately had to ruthlessly FF through almost every scene with (in alphabetical order) Arcadia, Beltran, Chavez (without Marco), Jimenez and family, Jorge, Marino, Pepeto, Quintana, Ramirez and family, Rosario, Rosaura and Trapito. Thank goodness for all my recapper angels that have kept me "in the know" with all the happenings in the Dinero world.

"crazy happy in love. Ah it's been too long. Let's just stop here and enjoy it for a moment."
I did definitely stop and enjoy it. I'm with you Judy, Tracie and Pata, the phone call scene with Rafa's and Ale's happiness--it was the best.

Carlos, Bonnie Belle is such a photogenic sweetie. Does she like when you pull the camera out and take her picture?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder