Saturday, November 06, 2010

Eva Luna #5 Fri 11/5/10

Feel free to fill or make any corrections. I have only watched the first episode and this one, so I am behind.


Dan and Laurita pull in the driveway and she jumps out and loudly informs her dad "It's her! It's her! From the drawing!" Dan and Eva just stare at each other and smile. Laurita takes the initiative and introduces herself to Eva. Eva tells her that she has a pretty name. Dan asks her what she's doing here? Mrs. Renata sent me to return this package to you that you had left behind. I didn't know you lived here. you have a beautiful home. Laurita tells her dad to invite her in and show her the place.

The brother of the dead servant (Rita) that Marcela had killed goes to her company and causes a scene blaming her for his sisters death. Leonardo starts shoving Rita's brother around, but Marcela puts a stop to it and begs the brother to come into her office to talk about things calmly.

Dan is showing Eva around and she takes an interest in one of his paintings. Is this an abstract art? Do you know art asks Dan? No replies Eva. Well just a little. I have pretty good art books. Jackie comes to offer them a drink, but Eva refuses. She has to go now. Laurita rushes in and says not yet. I have something to show you. Laurita asks Jackie to help her find it.

Marcela asks Rita's brother why he thinks that she had something to do in the death of his sister. Have you spoken to the police about this? No, replies brother, unfortunately I am just starting to remember this all now. But be assured I will. Stay calm and take a seat then replies Marcela. I'm fine replies brother. Okay then replies Marcela. I advise you not to go to the police. First because you have no proof. Second that investigation can bring things, ugly things out about your sister. What are you saying, asks Rita's brother? Your sister was mixed up with some bad people and got all caught up. Then I will make it my mission to put you in jail for years for defamation.

Dan is showing Eva the pool, kicking in toy pools. Dummy decides to throw a big one at Eva who is not prepared and knocks her in the pool. He laughs at her. She's not happy. Then she pushes him in.

Marcela and Rita'a brother are calmed down and she offers him a drink.

Everyone rushes out of the house to see the commonion. Eva wants to leave. Where's the exit? She gets three different answers.

Marcela brings Rita's brother a coffee that she herself made. I yell at the t.v. not to drink but he drinks it anyway.

Eva walks home cold and wet. Victoria pulls up wanting to know what happened. Eva tells her she rather not talk about it. Victoria gets a call and forgets all about Eva. She tosses her keys to Eva and tells her to put the car away. Inside the house Eva is explaining to Renata why she has come back wet from Dan's house. Renata gets onto her for going into his house.

Drunk guy yelling at his kid. Don't really know much about this.

Francisco the butler/confidante/driver inquiring about the lady. Eva replies Dan with a cheesy grin.

Leonardo gets onto Renata for letting Eva go over there to drop off a bag. She is here to take care of my dad. Renata sees no reason why she couldnt't take the bag over there since his dad was sleeping and she had nothing to do. Because those are my orders replies Leonardo.

Rita's brother's is driving down the road and starts getting sick. He recalls Marcela insisting he have a coffee before he leaves. To help him relax. He has an automobile accident, and the policeman tells Marcela that the driver was being taken to the coroner's, so he apparently died. So we can add another murder to her likely toll.
It seems Doña Justa has a problem with her sister. She’s gone to church to pray and the priest tells her to talk to her sister to try to resolve it.

Eva helps sew up a ripped garment for Vicky right before an important magazine interview at the manse. Guess this makes her a few points with both Bimbutt and her bitchy mama.

Stud Thief, aka Tony, and Alicia go gambling together at El Gallo’s club. Leo is there and Alicia accidentally bumps into him. They lock eyes and Leo likes what he sees. So does Alicia it seems.

Meanwhile, Eve is getting ready to head for the bus home that night. Daniel’s chauffeur, Francisco, pulls up and literally has to beg her to take some flowers his boss sent over for her. He’s also supposed to drive her home. Daniel’s waiting anxiously for his cell phone to ring with word from Francisco that their plan worked. After first refusing she gives up and agrees to both the flowers and the lift home. Francisco makes the call to Dan after dropping her off.

Tony loses all the money Alicia made at the gambling table and they head home.

Francisco gets back to Daniel’s and assures him that even though Eva didn’t read the card he sent with the flowers that a woman is always curious. There’s no way she won’t eventually read it.

Eva gets to her room and does start reading Dan’s note: “Eva, at times men are slow and clumsy, extremely clumsy. I hope that if the flowers don’t do the job that hopefully these words will. I am sure that by now you think I am detestable—you’re favorite flirtatious compliment for me. What happened this afternoon was foolish on my part and I ask your forgiveness. A thousand pardons, please! I swear it wasn’t my intention to laugh at you or to make you feel bad. On the contrary, I wanted you to feel comfortable in my home and I even was looking to impress you a bit. So I am going to suggest something. How about supposing that what happened this afternoon didn’t and that I wasn’t such a clutz and that you didn’t fall into the water. The only thing that we cannot suppose is that your face that is so lovely didn’t smile again. So, please forgive me and the next time we see each other present me with another smile. “ Eva melts after reading this and smiles.

Vicky finds out that her mama arranged for her to have the choice job of closing the fashion show as part of a business deal and isn’t happy at all about it.

Alicia gets home and asks about the flowers. Eva tells he they’re from Daniel. She’s about to tell her kid sis the details when she smells cigar smoke on Alicia. Alicia admits Tony took her to a bar. She also tells her that she bumped into a guy there that was the handsomest man she’d ever seen in her life. She never found out his name or anything else about him but she sure hopes that she runs into him again some way or somehow.

Leo goes over to Claudia’s and celebrates his luck at poker that night with a bout in bed.

Eva has Alicia read the letter from Daniel. After she’s done reading, Alicia tells Eva that the guy is obviously in love with her.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks very much, Gloria, for the recap. Apparently it hasn't been listed yet in the page of links to Eva Luna recaps. Perhaps someone can help you add it there.

I haven't missed any of the episodes, but I too do not yet know who the guy is who yells at his young son. They've appeared in a couple of episodes, and Eva has chatted briefly with the son before the father came along and put an end to the conversation. Papa seems like a thoroughly unpleasant guy, but what his relationship to the story is, I have no idea.

Yes, I too was yelling at the TV that Rita's brother shouldn't drink the coffee that Marcela offers him, but it didn't do any good. One of the last scenes in the episode shows that he has an automobile accident, and I think the policeman tells Marcela that the driver was being taken to the coroner's, so he apparently died. So we can add (another?) murder to her likely toll.
 

Gloria: Great way to start the day reading your recap! I will add Juanita's part about the car accident of Rita's brother.
==========
Juanita:
Thanks for reminding us about the car accident. Definitely Murderous Marcela has chalked up another one for herself! I like it when we get a really evil broad like that-- must be the Hitchcock fan in me!
 

There were a few more plot points I remembered afterwards. I'll add them to the rest. Thanks again for doing such a great job even without having a chance to view all the episodes!
 

Love these Sunday recaps to read. Thank you, Gloria. It kinda makes the drought between Friday night and Monday night easier to tolerate.

Love Francisco. He really had to work hard to get Eva to accept the flowers and the note. The line that worked was that his patron would correr him from his job and he would be jobless in LA--would she want this on her conscience (I'm paraphrasing loosely here). Of course losing a job was just what Eva has experienced, so she relents. She wasn't quite ready to accept. Fortunately it started to rain. Not having lived in LA, does it really thunder and rain in the evening so conveniently?

No one knows yet why the abusive father and little boy are in this TN, other than the boy is a good student and wants to be an engineer when he grows up. Potential mate for Laurita, maybe?

Oh, Alicia. Right after you have such a charming conversation with decent, nice-looking, waiter-guy at school, you have to go and get mesmerized by Leon (yes he eats his young [things] and throws the bones out with the trash). Thereby hangs another tail--the downfall, hit bottom and rehabilitation of Alicia.

How is Bingo going? Does poisoning count if the victim isn't dead yet (Julio)? How about Rita's poor brother? It counts in our book, but the policia think it was an accidente.

O/T I noticed that there is a resume of Eva on Uni this afternoon at 4 pm.
Una Norteamericana
 

My husband wants to know how do you use the close caption in English to follow the spanish soaps ? We have Directv, any help anyone ?
 

Close Captions for English are usually CC3 and Spanish is usually CC1 when you use the CC menu. It shouldn't matter what source you use to view with, ie., cable or satelite or regular tv.
 

Are there actually English captions for Univision shows? I thought they only captioned in Spanish. Telemundo does English captions.

My Bingo game has slowed down a bit. I didn't get any new ones on Friday. I was really rooting for Rita's brother to be comatose after the accident because I already have a few on that column, but no such luck ;).

Thanks for recapping, Gloria, and especially for translating that whole note. I'm kind of on Daniel's side here. He wasn't being mean, it was an accident, and he was trying to laugh with her, not at her, she just wasn't cooperating. He didn't do anything wrong the other times she thought he was mean to her, either. She could stand to lighten up a bit. I do like that she isn't a pushover but a bit of a sense of humor wouldn't hurt her.
 

Julia: The only Univision telenovela to have English captions is this one. It's their first attempt to imitate Telemundo as closely as possible.
 

I've never found the Spanish captions on Univision useful. They started off OK and then suddenly became gibberish. Well, with "Eva Luna," the Spanish captions start OK and then switch in the middle to a line or two of English and then back to Spanish and then gibberish! Bizarre!
 

I want to thank the person who finished the recap for me. I started it late Saturday but didn't realize that my battery on my laptop wasn't charged. So I left it to finish up today, but noticed that someone finished. Thank you to whomever did that. I really appreciate it.
 

Hi Gloria, thank you for the recap. That Marcella is some piece of work!!! I was yelling at my TV as well when she brought that guy a coffee.

I have a favor to ask. I work this coming Thursday and was wondering if anyone would be interested in subbing. If not there is a couple of options. I can just post a discussion page on Wed and have people fill it in or Post a more complete recap on Thursday after I get home from work since there is no Eva on Thursday.

Tony is definely a slime. Although I am worried that Leo will be more trouble for Alicia.

The chauffer is turning out to be my favorite character so far. It is fun to see that actor in a nice role.

I also like Julio. Hope he doesn't get bumped off any time soon.
 

You did a great job Gloria, lots of detail to boot. In the early stages of these TN, the detail is so appreciated by those of us with less than stellar language skills to get everyone and their relationships straight.

They sure aren't pulling any punches in making Marcela the ober-villian in this TN. She's got a couple notches on her belt already and we're only one week in. And she's working on her third. I'm just feeling that Eva is being totally set up by Marcella though. As the main person giving him the meds now, how easy will it be to point the finger at her if there's an autopsy and they find the poison?

So letchy Leo is making eyes at Alicia too? wait till he finds out she's Eva's sister...

I love Francisco. The man-servant, best buddy for the hapless hero. Have a feeling he's going to be one of my favs in this thing.

Like Eva, but I agree with a few others, she needs to lighten up a bit. I saw about ten seconds of the special they had on the weekend about the show, and even the actress/character was stiff and serious. Hope she's not going to be that way thru this whole thing.
 

Gloria: no problem! Happy to help out. Sorry about the laptop problem. Happens to everybody once in a while. You asked us to fill in and since you were unable to tell us about part 2, we did. :?) Hope you'll do the same for the rest of us, also!
 

Pata: I think folks would understand if you don't get it up till later on Thursday, especially since there's nothing happening till Friday night again. Your job obviously comes first and we'll all be grateful for whatever and whenever, IMHO. Connie puts up a page and if it's going to be late, just let us know. : ? ) Thanks for the heads up, too!
 

Great recap, and covered all the important points! Thank you!

I wasn't sure how I felt about Guy Ecker as Daniel, but he's really growing on me. I've seen comments on other forums (in Spanish and in English) that cry TOO OLD, but I'm willing to let this slide. The glamorizing filter they have applied to this whole telenovela casts a flattering glow on everyone, including Ecker, so most of the time he looks pretty good. Occasionally there will be a shot of him that makes him look closer to his age, but when he smiles, he really does look about 40 or even late 30s.

The moment that I decided I really liked him was when he was waiting at home with his daughter, anxiously hoping to hear from Francisco about whether Eva accepted the flowers. Very sweet.

And what to say about Francisco? Yes, I agree, he is swiftly becoming my favorite character. I didn't know what to make of him at first, but now I think I am beginning to adore him.

As for Eva, she's definitely needs her sense of humor chip recharged, but I think that's part of her problem right now—she takes everything too seriously because life has been difficult for her. I think we can expect Daniel to help her lighten up eventually. I really like this heroine. She is no pushover, doesn't take a lot of cr@p, which is a refreshing change. I also like how they've given the actress almost no makeup. Who needs makeup? She's so naturally lovely.

I saw that "behind the scenes" show on Saturday, and the whole thing was full of spoilers, with each actor/actress speaking in character about what is going on with them and what is going to happen with them. I won't give anything away to those who haven't seen the special, but I will say that Francisco's storyline looks to be funny (or annoying, depending on how many times it's used in TNs) but I thought it looked to be pretty cute.
 

Gloria- I was out and didn't get to watch this, and am not yet taping it, so I really appreciate the recap. Thank you so much.

I am still giving this novela a trial run, but the idea of Harry G. (the driver) having a larger role, and of Leo and Alicia interacting is of interest to me, so we'll see. I also hope Eva lightens up a bit, but love that she's not a pushover. Did we ever get the full story of who hurt her and how, that has made her distrust men so much? It seems to go beyond just a broken heart. It would be interesting to have a heroine that had some real history of a bad relationship before finding true love. Hopefully, her distrust of men won't make her behave as stupidly as Valentina on Duena. :)
 

I'm liking Guy Ecker in this role, too. He does not look as old as he is, so he seems well suited. He's aged very well plus he has a youthful way of moving. Also, the character isn't supposed to be some young lad, he's a more mature man with a preteen daughter. I'm not sure how old Eva is supposed to be but I'd guess at least mid-twenties, not 18 or 19. I think it works.
 

Gloria thanks for your recap. And thanks Jardinera for filling the rest in.

I am also liking this TN. That letter was a keeper for me! It's just unfortunate that Dan's be "dating" Bimbo 1 for five years. I know she's there for the conflict but emotionally that's messy.
 

here's something to ponder... I got my cousin hooked on this "novela", cuz she really thinks, and I quote her- "Daniel" channels MICHAEL DOUGLAS...he's forever young y muy simpatico!"
I thought that was hilarious. I still don't like him based on his looks, cuz that's how shallow I am. Henceforth, mrslmgallego will now be 'shallowgal.'
 

one little detail. the 'thing' Laurita wanted Jackie to help her find to show Eva was none other than her 'family drawing', thus the weird smirk Dan put up when she mentioned that, just after Laurita had told him that Eva was 'the woman in her picture'.
Also, I agree that if it was not for Francisco telling Eva that his boss Dan would fire him and he would end up jobless in LA and that it started to rain with thunder, Eva would have not got in his car. Dan waiting with laurita for the cell phone text message from Francisco and his coming home to tell them what happened were really cute scenes.
 

The obnoxious man and his son Adriancito are also guests/tenants in Dona Justa's house. and I too am not sure how they tie to the other stories other than living there.
 

The hour-long resume on Sunday afternoon (I did my ironing) was an edited version of the first week. I don't know if they only did it one time or if it appears every Sunday. At any rate, with CarayCaray, who needs edited recaps.

This must be how Televisa does the "first cut" for their eventual DVD. They did get the highlights and plenty of interaction between Eva and Daniel--but they didn't read the letter, the best part of Friday's episode.

Hmm--130 hours divided by 5 is 26 hours. Televisa will probably cut that in half again before marketing it.
Una Norteamericana
 

This novela is actually by Univision (with assist from Venevision), so maybe they'll do their DVDs differently from Televisa. By which I mean better, without cutting out so much essential action and good scenes. Televisa cuts out way too much, which I think is dumb because I think they could sell a lot more if they were more complete and they only ditched the filler.
 

Julia--You're right; I misspoke. Televisa is so ubiquitous on Univision's channel I unthinkingly used it as a generic term--like Kleenex. So sorry, Univision/Venevision.
Una Norteamericana
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder