Thursday, November 04, 2010

Life after El Clon or: Dawn comes to Telemundo

If you’ve seen the first few episodes of Aurora, you’ve surely noticed the family resemblance to El Clon. In fact, it seems we are in the presence of a new genre of telenovela, one part science fiction, one part fairy tale. It’s a romance that’s not a comedy (at least not intentionally), but it isn’t a tragedy either with the blood sacrifices that would require.

Take one pair of star-crossed lovers, one set of snooty-patooty parents and one mad scientist with a God complex, season with envy, stir gently, and marinate in the refrigerator for twenty years.

The princess here is a lovely twenty-something dance student, Aurora, who falls in love with Lorenzo, a talented and beautiful dancer. They are kept apart by false friends, social class, their own stubborn pride and finally, by Aurora’s illness, an infection certain to be fatal. Her father, Dr Gustavo Ponce de Leon [hah!], won’t allow her to die. He keeps her frozen in his very own cryonics laboratory while he waits for medicine to find a cure for her illness. She is La Bella Durmiente (Sleeping Beauty) for our time. La Princesa de Hielo (The Ice Princess). And just to show us what a sentimental guy he really is, the doc has also turned Aurora’s dog, Lucero, (not so inside joke?) -- who was dying of sadness after losing her mistress – into a pooch on ice, complete with her own cryocapsule.

Gustavo spends a lot of time contemplating his daughter turned popsicle, wrapped in her cryo-undies and suspended in her capsule. It feels a bit creepy and vaguely incestuous.

And then -- a twenty year leap forward. Aurora still looks like Aurora (Sara Maldonado), except she’s um… well, not exactly alive. But all the other twenty-somethings have morphed into different actors.

Eugenio Siller’s winsome young Lorenzo, for example, has matured into a hunky forty-something Jorge Luis Pila. [Now I understand why all the twenty-somethings looked exactly the same twenty years later on El Clon: they were kept on ice!]

And their offspring, the new generation of twenty-somethings are the spitting image of their like-sexed parent. [If we didn’t know better, we’d be tempted to say they were clones! Perhaps after the Bedouins rescued Albieri in the desert, he found refuge in the more permissive environment of the New York medical community and was responsible for cloning this new generation.] Lorenzo’s young son, Martín, has grown up to be Eugenio Siller. You can see how confusing it will be for Aurora.

The only non-clonish member of this new generation is Aurora’s own daughter, Blanca. Blanca never knew her mother. She thinks Dr. and Sra Ponce de Leon are her parents and Aurora is her sister. Lorenzo, her actual father, doesn’t know of her existence.

Blanca resents Aurora – she refers to her contemptuously as ‘La congelada’ (the frozen one). She perceives (accurately) that Dr. Ponce de Leon has spent all his emotional capital on Sleeping Beauty and has nothing left for Bitter Blanca.

[The over-forty actors get to play themselves twenty years later. I mean really, between forty and death, well, who the hell cares?]

The world hasn’t stopped spinning while Beauty has been asleep. It should be easy enough for her to get used to cell phones and computers and the death of Celia Cruz. But it will be harder to assimilate the changes in her Prince’s life: for the past fifteen years, he has been married to Aurora’s best friend, Natalia. They have raised 3 children: his Martín (identical to young Lorenzo); her Nina (identical to young Natalia; we don’t know who Nina’s biological father is); and their César.

There are lots of close-ups of lovely faces, touristy images of Manhattan, pretty dance studio shots. The actors are engaging and know their job. The Mexican Spanish is easy to follow and the Spanish captions, thus far, have been working well. All told, the ice may be a little thin, but it should be fun to skate on for a while.

And on bleak nights, we can always count on the occasional howler to keep us amused. Check out the writing over Martín’s bed: STRENGHT & HONOR! Indeed.

Anyone else watching? ¿Alguien más lo mira?

Labels: , ,


Comments:
hola NovelaMaven! estoy feliz!!
I, for one, am watching Aurora (due to Jorge Luis Pila), as well as El Fantasma de Elena. I'm a big fan of Telemundo novelas, except for El Clon the last few months. The stories move along quickly, and hardly any beanies required when viewing.

Thanks for recapping!!
 

I bailed out of Fantasma & Aurora pretty much after the first episodes. These are really old-fashioned cenicientas with a touch of sci-fi/fantasy. They don't interest me at all.

Caminho das Indias (India) on Telefutura is also a clone of El Clon, minus the sci-fi.

Alguien, A Corazon Abierto & Los Exitosos Gomes are the only USA novelas I try to watch now - but I'm not hooked on any of them. Luckily, cable offers lots more choices.
 

I enjoy the the sci-fi twist to aurora, it makes this novela unique compared to the other cookie cutter novelas.
 

This show Aurora has captured my attention & I'm enjoying. I can't wait to see how this develops.
As for El Fantasma de Elena, I'm a huge fan. In the beginning I was disappointed when they completely chucked the mysterious supernatural storyline. Reguardless, the new fast paced stories & characters have grown on me. Didn't you love it when Rebecca finally smacked Dulce.
India - It's a good show. I just wish they showed more of India than Brazil. When they go to Brazil the show becomes dull.
Thank you for the Aurora recaps!

Tika
 

But Tika, they didn't chuck the supernatural all together. just last night, one of the gemelas came to Mom in her dream, and every now and then through the psychic.
 

NovelaMaven, thanks so much for the recap of Aurora.

I've been watching Alguein te Mira which I like a lot. But I don't have my VCR anymore so I can't record Aurora. So I started looking at Youtube but I was getting so confused. Your recap helped explain it a lot. I think I might go back to Youtube.

Thanks for your recap.

Right now I'm looking at Eva Luna, STUD, Alguein te Mira and Occult. After Occult that I look at Law & Order.

Needles to say, I am busy TV watching. Ha! Ha!

Ann-NYC
 

MrsImgallego, It figures I'd miss that scence, this probably happened when I took a snack break. I just wish that El Fantasma de Elena would include more supernatural incidents.

Tika
 

Ann-NYC: I'm in the same situation; 3novelas, plus Good Wife, Dexter, etc. thank heavens for dvr. I actually just >ff> uninteresting/redundant scenes in novelas and watch 3hrs worth in about 1hr... LOL!
 

NovelaMaven- I was working from home this week Tuesday or Wed and they were showing Aurora during the day (the usual replay during a novela's first week). I think I must have seen episode 2 or 3. It looked interesting and I have set my dvr to record it, but haven't had time to watch. I was really bugged by the fact that they couldn't find an older actor to play Eugenio's father that actually looked like him. Fair with curly hair. It seemed laughable that the young Eugenio would morph into a shorter, darker man, with only wavy hair as his older self. Lol! Other than that, it did seem like it would be interesting. Not sure if I'll have time to watch yet, but glad to know you might be posting a place to comment.

I am watching Alguien te Mira and enjoying it.
 

Novelamaven,I'm watching ALGUIEN and really enjoying it. Although I don't think it's as good as DONDE ESTA ELISA, it is action-packed. And most important, I don't know who the serial killer is yet --although I have two candidates in mind. It's nice not to be able to figure out the entire telenovela after the first few weeks. (I didn't see Rocio Lynch being the next victim.)
 

Hola NovelaMaven. I chose to watch "Eva Luna" rather than "Aurora," partly because the trailers for "Aurora" didn't grab me, and partly because I like Guy Ecker, but mostly because CarayCaray lined up a full complement of recappers for "Eva Luna." I really love daily recaps, both for help in understanding what I've seen and because then I can travel and still keep up with the plot.

So far, I'm content with my decision, but I have to confess that "Eva Luna" has the same stale, formulaic plot as so many other telenovelas on Univision. Sigh. But at least I'm getting daily reinforcement of my Spanish. So I guess I'll stick with "Eva Luna" and wait eagerly for "La Reina del Sur," which I think will be on Telemundo sometime within the next year. I think I'll give "Reina" a try even without daily recaps, since I liked the novel so much. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by some milagro there WILL be daily recaps.
 

Haven't watched anything since El Clon. Would, I think, were there recaps of something other than a Univision formula telenovela. Meanwhile, I'm suffering horrible withdrawal. Lois
 

I'm with you lois.
I also miss El Clon.

Kara
 

Well, folks, after a week of 'Aurora', I think I'm enganchada (hooked)!

mrslmgallego, tika, and ann-nyc -- glad to hear you're liking Aurora too. Truth in Packaging: I'm not recapping, just chatting and hoping others will chime in.

Vivi in DC -- you are so right! It's ridiculous to cast Jorge as Eugenio's older self... and yet, I find myself swept up in the story and willing to suspend disbelief. Or put another way, I'm not even aware of my beanie! hah!

NJ Sue, I've starting watching 'Alguien te mira', and I like it too. Very slick and stylish! I have a weakness for mystery/suspense type-dramas and it's fun to have one to watch in Spanish!

Anon 2:01, Los Exitosos Gomez is so cool I don't know why they can't find a home for it in the evening. I've only seen a few episodes because I keep forgetting it exists.

Lois and Kara, 'Aurora' is kind of fun. You can check it out at the Telemundo website where they repeat episodes the day after they are aired. It's not El Clon, but it has its charm.

So guys, do you think it's worthwhile asking Melinama for a place to chat about Telemundo novelas?
 

Oh, I almost forgot--
Juanita, have fun with Eva Luna! I agree that having daily recaps really enhances the pleasure of watching a show. We'll miss you here in Telemundo-land, but I hope you fall in love with (or at least in like with) Eva Luna!
 

Yes, NovelaMaven, it is worthwhile to have and use at least one place for Telemundo shows. In fact, I'd like more of them and fewer of Univision. I'll keep tuning into this site to see what happens. Lois
 

Surprise! I was looking for Friday's STuD recap and found this. Thanks, NovelaMaven.

I've watched two Aurora's. I may have to fish or cut bait soon, as my DVR hard drive is full because I can't bear to delete a huge number of Amor Real episodes, even though I never get around to watching them. It remains my all-time favorite.

Jorge Luis Pila is definitely great to watch in any role. He's eye candy and also a very good actor.

I like the actress very much playing Aurora. She is more interesting looking and sexy than classically beautiful, to me at least.

What's with the meme of almost incestuous papás? That father of Aurora is creepier than Albieri. And I want to mute the TV every time the bratty Blanca appears.

I'll finish watching the rest of the week and then decide.
 

Hah! Bratty Blanca IS insoportable, isn't she, Novelera? But at least, so far, she hasn't turned into a screecher!

Lois, I just requested a spot for us Telemundo orphans on the blog roster. Stay tuned!
 

I've been busy and not checking the blog. I'm in favor of a discussion group. I watch Fantasma and Los Exitoso$ Gomez and I've watched a little of Aurora. ¡Vamonos!
 

Hi Will you be recapping Aurora as well? I only see the recap for Nov 4. Thanks, DianeT(no CC3)
 

DianeT,

Jean and I are trying to start a Telemundo discussion board. I won't be doing Aurora recaps but I'll be posting comments and updates on the plot periodically.

We just don't have enough people to write a daily recap. Too bad. It's kind of an interesting show.
 

A week without watching any telenovela. Mourning the end of El Clon! Now I've decided to go with Aurora, and will be checking into this blog daily. Lois
 

A discussion board would be fun. It's kind of a chore to find this Aurora discussion. What I did was click on another novela and then when I saw the daily links, clicked bookmarks instead which gave me daily recaps of ALL the novelas being blogged. Thus I could find this.
 

Just watched Monday's episode of Aurora. Without a handy cheat sheet (recap), I'm a little lost. I assume the Aurora in this episode is, indeed, a recovering popcycle and not her daughter. But who knows. Surely in a day or two or three, perhaps, I'll catch on. Would appreciate any help or hint. Thanks, Lois
 

Hi Lois,
I just put up a new entry. It will be visible on the main blog page for a little while. After that, you can find it by going to the Clon bookmarks.
 

The Siller-Pila morph makes no sense. These two actors have nothing in common. No one can change so much after 20 years!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder