Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Llena de Amor #69 Wed 11/17/10 There's Light At The End Of The Tunnel.....But It's A Looooong Tunnel


Lots of action tonight. Most of it dreadful. But a few good things happened. Let's start with the good: Marianela isn't pregnant. Just anemic. And Ilitia finally...finally! tells Kristel that Orangey Mauricio tried to take advantage of her.

The rest?....pretty much all bad. Oliver tracks Gretel down to the looneybin but Bernardo sneaks her out just in time and stashes her in the wine cellar of the house. And only he and Fedra have the key. Mauricio hooks up with the Godfather in jail and plans vengeance on Fedra...by taking out a contract on her favorite son Emanuel. And Bernardo has come up with a fake will leaving all the General's money to Emanuel. Oh wait!...that's good news since we know he's actually going to end up with Marianela. But our bad guys don't know that. And neither does poor Mari. She's suffering a major depression and believes the worst of Eman. And maybe she should. He's a complete doofus, is he not?

So that's the short version. Here's the expanded scenario. We begin the evening with Mari being very Greta Garbo. She just vants to be alone in her misery over Emanuel's purported betrayal. Can't say I blame her.

Elsewhere, Paula's confiding to Oliver (who seems to be fully and miraculously recovered from his bullet wound) that she's very worried about Gretel. But he really loves her, doesn't he? This brings forth a real feast of reason and flow of soul from our cop. " Before I met Gretel, my only desire was to become a top police officer. But my heart was empty. Then she came. She completed me. Even with all the craziness and all her problems, I just want to be with her. Protect her. Give her the strength she needs. Because she gives so much to me. Hopefully I can find her." And so forth. Paula's reassured and gets ready to leave. I'm screaming at her to give him the friggin' note already. She turns, starts out the door and.....says, "Oh, pardon me, some very nervous woman gave me this note to give to you." Aha. Gretel's at the Sagrado Corazón psychiatric hospital. So Oliver heads right over there..

All by himself.

Okay, put him in the same Dunce's Corner with Emanuel.

And speaking of Dunces....We're now at the prison where Kristel is draped all over Mauricio, vowing to get him out so they can live happily ever after....without kids. Fedra arrives and isn't buying this sweet tale. I'll help you all right she sneers. I'll help you rot in prison, you creep! Next she rips Kristel out of his arms, grabs her face and says Take a good look. This is the last time you'll see her!

Mommy Dearest now has her daughter at home and informs the staff that she's to stay in her room until she learns to behave decently. Paula is concerned with her pallor and suggests maybe she should remain in the hospital. Nuthin' doing. That's what she gets for being immoral, snaps Fedra, and if any of you even try to pass a message to her from Mauricio, you'll be out of her so fast your head will spin.

Our Lone Ranger has arrived at the psychiatric hospital. Bad Doc spots him and phones Bernardo. Other Doc stalls him and says there's nobody by name of Gretel Ruiz y de Teresa in the joint. Good Nurse tries to intervene. Drops a bunch of folders. Including the Red Folder. Asks Oliver to pick it up and aha! it's the list of in-patients and Gretel's name is in it. HAHAHAHAH.

Mientras tanto, Mauricio is working on Plan B. Since Kristel wasn't able to get him out, he's trying to hook up with the Marlon Brando impersonator/Mafia Boss. If you want to work for me, when you're on the outside, you'll be my slave, croaks the big boss. Mauricio's down with that. But he also wants to send a message to Fedra Curel.
Why?

She humiliated me. Tried to take me down.

Great. I like that attitude. Ya want her murdered?

Nope. Too easy. I want her to SUFFER. So let's kill her favorite son, Emanuel.

Fine with me. But remember son....Fedra's put a price on your head. So be careful....even with your own shadow.

Our Fedra is lounging around the office at home when Ilitia blows in. In high dudgeon. How could Fedra countenance her precious son hooking up with that asquerosa gordita!? Sorry, sighs Fedra. I don't intend to move a finger to help you. And don't disturb my son. Ilitia is impactada.

But when we come back from the ads, we see she and Fedra are cozy and like old times. Sharing a cognac and chuckling with evil glee. Yup, you guessed it. Ilitia's in on the plan and is so happy to think she'll one day soon be marrying a multimillionaire widower. A young hunky one to boot.

Back to Miserable Marianela. Her desire to be alone has been roundly ignored. Brandon is all over her, kissing and stroking and sympathizing. Netty comes striding in with chicken veggie soup and orders to eat it. Mari clutches her rag doll and doesn't want to. Doc arrives, grim-faced and informs them he has news. Bad news.

And we switch back to Fedra and Ilitia. Don't you love how they do that?

Emanuel enters and knows something is very wrong. Indeed. Mom fesses up that she just couldn't hold it in a minute longer and confided Manny's wicked delicious plan to Ilitia. Fedra then makes a discreet exit. Or it would be discreet if she weren't wearing horrid thigh high zebra striped boots.

Our little model, while not wishing death on anybody, mind you, is thrilled at the thought of consoling a rich widower. In fact let's get busy right now she suggests and do a little preemptive consolation. Eman's moving around the room, crawling under the desk, stalling, punting and weaving, while Yo Soy Sexy plays in the background. He finally fobs her off with "this is neither the time nor the place but how about a little honeymoon at the beach this weekend." Ilitia thinks it's a grand idea. Phew. He's bought a little more time.

Back at the nuthouse, Other Doc's still stalling Oliver. Oh...that Gretel. Well, she responded so well to treatment she was in and out, just like that. Zip.

Alright. Enough with the suspense. Is Marianela pregnant? Nooooooo. She's anemic. At least that's what the basic exam says. But Doc Arnoldo wants to do more tests. Meanwhile, now hear this. Her Life Is In Danger if she doesn't rest and eat well. That's a little overstated. I was anemic one year in college (tea and white rice don't constitute a healthy diet) and I was tired as hell but otherwise in no danger of expiring. But you know how telenovelas go....And.... Guess what? Our Miss Marianela just wants to die anyway. She's tired of suffering. Life has been so cruel. If she could only join mommy and daddy up in heaven. That's all. Really.

Oh no! Now we see Bernardo hauling Gretel over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. He dumps her down in some little alcove of the wine cellar, chortling Welcome to Switzerland. Hope you enjoy your little "caso de reposo". You'll serve out your sentence here my lovely. Gretel whimpers that she's going to tell her Dad. No way. Fedra and I are the only ones who have the keys to this place. Curses! Foiled again. Sorry Oliver.

Fedra, meanwhile, is doing damage control. She's assembled the house staff and accused them of stealing some bottles of red wine. Bernardo skulks out and admits he was the guilty one. Aha! I'll take it out of your salary then you swine. But hear this, the rest of you! If I find any of you hanging around the wine cellar you're fired!

Well, with that out of the way, we can return to the drama at the pension. Netty's all aflutter because Marianela is dying. Gladiola vows to bring her back with her irresistible picadillo, beans and rice plus fried plantains. The Mexican wonder drug.

Enter Emanuel. To hateful looks.

Upstairs: Marianela is still moaning to Brandon that she wishes she had gone up in that helicopter with her mom. Then all this would be over.

Take Home Message. From Brandon. We've all come to this world to struggle and to fight....to be happy.

Next question: What did Emanuel do to you to make you feel this way? Wanna know the answer? Tough. We've got more ads. Hang in there. Oh yeah. You already know anyhow.

Downstairs: Netty has upped the ante, screaming at Emanuel to GET OUT!!!! YOU'LL HAVE TO KILL ME BEFORE I LET YOU SEE MARI. YOU'VE HURT HER ENOUGH!

Eman's his usual low key self. He notes that sometimes you fall in love with folks you shouldn't. Like she fell in love with his dad.

Don't talk to me about that night! It's over! I'm never seeing your father again!

Upstairs: The dirge continues.

Mari: Don't ask me what happened that night. It's too painful.

Brandon: Well, Just know that I'll always be here for you.

Mari: He fooled me, misled me. He made me believe he loved me, when all he really wanted was my inheritance, my money.

Brandon: I'm gonna kill him!

Mari: Noooooo. Don't hurt him!

Brandon: Sorry. Can't promise anything.

Downstairs: The fracas has escalated. Doris, Glad and Netty are shrieking. Eman's persisting. Brandon descends and bars his way. Dogfight coming' up.

But first. Fedra. She's doing a righteous number on Emiliano and his trashy affair with that equally trashy actress. While SHE, the Injured Wife! has always been faithful to him. But Emiliano's had enough. He can't breathe the same air as Fedra. She's suffocating him. He's out of there!

Waaaay Downstairs: Now we're in the General's lair and he's fussing that he just wants that nasty Fedra in front of him so he could deal with her. Paula tartly reminds him that if he'd stayed upstairs where he belonged, he could have protected his family. Delicia arrives to tell General the licenciado Pacheco wants to see him. Turns out there are problems with the will. Seems the word is out that the General is not of sound mind. Therefore the will he just drafted to give Marianela all his worldly goods won't be accepted. General flies into a rage. Licenciado looks frightened. Stammers and stutters that he'll try and sort things out but it will be tough.

Upstairs: Fedra and Bernardo are chortling over his latest fake will. This one gives all the General's money to Emanuel. Fantastic!

Back to the pension: Doris zips upstairs to plead with Marianela to come down before Brandon and Emanuel come to blows. Mari refuses. Doris descends and blurts out: She never wants to see you again. Brandon juts his chin out. Eman punches it. Now you're gonna get it yells our naco policia.

Back to the Manor: Kristel's room: Ilitia's making a True Friend visit. Kris wants to talk about visiting her babe in jail and Ilitia wants her to understand how stupid she is to have anything to do with that scum. You deserve better. No I don't. I'm not even a "whole woman" anymore. And what did he ever do to you that you should talk about him this way?

Want to know? Well here it is. He tried to take advantage of me...abuse me, admits Ilitia.

And there we end.

Previews:
Brandon vows that for every tear Mari shed, he's going to collect in blood.... Emanuel's.
And Emanuel somehow gets to Marianela and tells her about his secret plan to mislead his very own mother and protect her. Will she believe him?

Vocabulary:

empinando el codo = drinking a lot, propping up the bar (what Bernardo supposedly did)
las patitas en la calle = your little feet in the street....getting thrown out (Fedra's threat to staff)
te saco a patadas = I'll throw you out (Brandon to Emanuel)
te tapaste con una pared = you ran up against a (stone) wall
casa de reposo = rest home
perro sarnoso = mangy dog (Bernardo)
revolcando con esa basura = rolling in the hay with that trash (Fedra to Emiliano)
te daré tu merecido = I'll give you what you deserve (Brandon to Emanuel)

Dicho of the Day

El comal le dijo a la olla. El burro hablando de orejas. Both in English mean The pot calling the kettle black. Think of Fedra's chutspah taking Emiliano to task for a roll in the hay with Netty.

Labels:


Comments:
Hey Judy, I'm not here for the recap but came by to check out your (in)famous dichos. I was not disappointed. I especially love "El burro hablando de orejas." I like it!
 

"...a real feast of reason and flow of soul"...Judy, you are a poet. Love all the labels you pasted on everyone, too...the Dunce, the Lone Ranger, the Godfather, the Injured Wife!, the True Friend. Brilliant.

Didn't much care for the dull and prolonged melodrama at Netty's, and I don't know why they think anyone with a churning stomach is going to eat picadillo and fried plantains when she can't even stand a little soup. Just leave her alone and let her sleep awhile, sheesh.

I did love the scenes in Fedra's office with Ilitia and Emanuel. He was very amusing making faces behind her back and then slithering away under the desk when she amped up the sexiness. Well, now I guess he can stop feeling at all bad for having dumped Ilitia, now that he knows how she feels about a plan to bump off an innocent young lady for money.
 

Hi Judy, I am with Barbara, I just dropped in to say hi before I am off to bed. I did read your recap and it was a hoot as always. I could picture just picture some floozy in Zebra striped boots trying to be discreet.
 

Evening Miss Judy. I didn't get to watch this episode but with your fantastic descriptions I feel like I saw everything quite vividly.

Well shut my mouth, Nice Nursie's Note DID find it's way into Oliver's grasp tonight. Unbelievable.

Ha, Julia I thought the same thing when I read that Netty's remedy for stomachache is picadillo and fried plantains. Why not throw in a fistful of chicharrones to REALLY help settle the stomach?

Great vocab and dichos tonight. Top notch. Gracias amiga!!
 

Good morning Barbara and Pata. Always appreciate you dropping by since I know neither of you are watching this. And always happy to add vocabulary. Pata, the actress playing Fedra has a natural skank look, but the wardrobe department has really ramped it up with their choice of attire.

Julia...I suspect "feast of reason and flow of soul" has some classical roots. It was a favorite phrase of one of my newspaper editors years ago and she was a highly educated woman.

Sylvia...the writers really teased us about the note. Paula and Oliver have a looooong discussion about his feelings for Gretel. She gets up, turns, starts out the door.............and FINALLY remembers the note.
 

PS Barbara...I like those dichos also. But "empinando el codo" really delights me as well. Don't know why.
 

Good morning Judy. Great job. I loved your description of Fedra and her understated fashion choice.

On the topic of anemia:

TEA AND WHITE RICE? WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING?

Actually anemia can be very mild to very life-threatening. It means a paucity of red blood cells so it can apply to someone who subsists on TEA AND WHITE RICE! to someone who has lost large quantities of blood. I imagine that Mari's anemia falls more into the TEA AND WHITE RICE variety, though over time that can result in a life-threatening anemia.

I hope Fedra and Bernardo provided Gretel a corkscrew. I'm guessing they haven't carefully thought out the details and finer points of her confinement. Also, her new quarters in the wine cellar should put her fairly close to Maximo who is residing in the basement.

Carlos
 

Judy, I also loved "feast of reason and flow of soul". Definitely side bar worthy! The vocabulary and dicho were stellar.

This was delightful. While conveying all of the scurrilous events of the night perfectly, you masterfully drew our attention to the precious few lighter moments " Or it would be discreet if she weren't wearing horrid thigh high zebra striped boots". I also enjoyed "Eman's moving...crawling...stalling, punting and weaving". Wonderful!

When I saw Bernardo had spirited Gretel away withon moments of Oliver finding her, my eyes filled up. The actress is doing such a skilled job at portraying her physical and emotional abuse, it's just getting too difficult to watch.

From the previews, Mari doesn't seem to be inclined to believe Eman. I can't blame her. Failing to include her in his scheme was a huge blunder. She probably has no idea what to think at this point.

Diana
 

Ooh good thinkin' there Carlos. I'm thinking secret door from wine cellar to basement quarters. I'm also thinkin' cork screw. Like you suggest, why not spend time educating oneself one wine varietals if one is trapped in the wine cellar? Fedra's going to slurp it all up anyway.
 

I think our tunnel rivals the one under the English channel Judy. This is setting up to be a longhaul. Everyone is hating and plotting on everyone else. A masterful retelling, with your signature touches of humor, of a very trying episode.

Oliver is so darned sweet. I'm not feeling so optimistic about Gretel being able to escape quite yet from her new confinement or hook up with Max, who now how is own troubles.

And I agree with Diana, I don't think we'll see Mari metling into Eman's arms. I think our girl now has her guard up and doesn't know who to deal with. And the "love" of the pension may even be too much...thus her decision to head to Spain and take Tia up on her offer to go there.

And I will now confess, for one very brief, and mind you it was very brief, I actually cheered on Fedra last night as she hauled Kristel away from Agent O. She became her usual slithery self soon, and I have since recovered my senses. We need a nice new galan to enter to win that girl over and have her grow up.
 

Unless I hear otherwise, I'll go ahead and recap Friday's episode I'd be fine with beginning the following Fri.). Chris, will you be alternating Fridays with me? If not, will someone out there please step up and volunteer?

More on anemia:

When I was an intern almost half a century ago, I saw a baby in pediatric clinic at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin that at first glance seemed robust. A roly poly 2 yr. old who was eerily white (in spite of dark Latino parents) with a virtually translucent skin (probably the stuff of a cannibal's wet dream). This child had a hemoglobin of 5.1 (normal is about 11 to 13 for a child that age) which is critically and dangerously low. This child had no other food source than whole milk from a bottle and according to the mother had no interest in any other food or beverage.

Carlos
 

Hey Dr. Carlos...maybe I should have titled this TEA AND WHITE RICE! Let's just say that was during one of my neurotic monastic periods in college. Anyway, hope your little patient was finally persuaded to injest something besides milk.

Diana and Daisynjay....I too fear Marianela will not believe Eman. It's hard, given how most folks treat her, to believe in love anyway. And now that she's overheard Eman's hurtful and humiliating "confession" to Fedra, even harder to believe. However, the emotional smothering at the pension is also tough to take. That place always seems to be in semi-hysterics.

Now here's what bothered me the most about poor Gretel in the wine cellar. Those wine cellars are kept cool. And here's our poor little gal with a short-sleeved shirt, no place to curl up, no blankies! Yikes. Can you tell I hate being cold? Yep, we definitely need her to tunnel out to Maximo's room a como de lugar.
 

Hi Judy. Thanks for your recap and vocab. ITA in disliking the cold. I have portable heaters at my office at home and at work.

Fedra's outfit was a hoot. You can tell the actress is having a blast playing her.

Carlos, your story about the anemic child reminded me that I actually did learn something when my younger sister was working w/the sickle cell group at CHOP. I knew that hemoglobin number was way too low. I too hope he recovered.

Also thanks to Maggie and Julia for your recaps!
 

JudyB – your writing just blows me away. I loved every bit of your recap. Just outstanding. And all the vocab! Awesome!

This marriage idea that Ilitia seems so enthused about has way too many holes. For one, it’d be in the press that her fiancé married somebody else. Surely she would be mortified by that. And it requires that Marianela meet an early demise – surely Ilitia isn’t that evil a character that she would relish that? It also requires that her beloved sleep with another woman, which isn’t pleasant to contemplate, even if he says it disgusts him. So why is she so smiley about all this?

Also, this story line has Eman faking affection for Ilitia, which is horribly unkind to her. Up until last night he had been kind it letting her down – no brownie points for him on this one.

Not only would a wine cellar be too cold, there’s no bathroom! However, we must admire the spotless cellar with no dust on the bottles and no cobwebs. I wonder where they filmed it. The depression Bernardo set Gretel in looked like a little seating arena. I wonder if this belongs to some fancy restaurant.

Also, how did Bernardo carry Gretel into the house with nobody noticing?

And a last thought: Brandon is too small to be taking on Eman. They both are very fit, but the size difference puts him at a big disadvantage.
 

Judy, I did something equally foolish as your rice diet in college. I was living in Germany in the 70s doing the starving student in cold-water flat thing, but I comforted myself that I had read that the Chinese didn’t eat much, so I ought to be okay. It wasn’t until later when I read about China that I discovered that people were dying by the millions from starvation.

Anyway, I got too hungry and had to cut my studies short and go to work.
 

Oh Maggie...I'm feeling much better about my college foolishness now. Thanks.

And finally looked up " thefeast of reason and the flow of soul" and it's from Alexander Pope. All these years....haven't heard it since '72 when I still worked for the paper.

Maggie, the only justification I can think of for Emanuel's treatment of Ilitia now is that "it's a matter of life and death". He has to be consistent in his duplicity, he believes, for Marianela's sake. And since Fedra filled Ilitia in, and she's clearly deligtedly on board....well, he has to play it out. Actually I was thinking about it from the opposite viewpoint. I know Carlos is banking on Ilitia's redemption, but right now she's looking terribly evil in her acceptance of the death plan and of the man who ostensibly is hatching it. Muy asqueroso.
 

I had all these same concerns about the wine cellar. I really hope it is so fancy that it has a bathroom, and they had better at least bring her a bunch of blankets! Even in my office, which is at least 70*F most of the time, I have to wear heavy sweaters and wool knee socks and I have a floor mat heater to keep my legs warm. My hands are still cold. Can't imagine living in a wine cellar. Gretel should hide behind the door with the most expensive bottle of wine and clock Bernie or Fedra when they open it and escape.

Odd how Fedra is always mocking Eva's alcoholism, and she's the one who's always guzzling booze. Might she have a future of alcoholic desperation similar to what she claimed Eva's last years were like?
 

Oooh...I like your idea about clocking Bernardo or Fedra with a bottle. And I agree, Julia, Fedra is clearly alcohol-dependent. Every time she's stressed, she reaches for the booze. Not that I'm any better. But I'm looking for brownies, not alcohol.
 

Ummmmm...brownies!!!
 

Great recap for a complex episode! Hilarious and well-written, thank you so much!

I too was rather shocked at Ilitia going along with this "marry Mari for her money" plan. She's going to have a LOTTT of reforming to do in order to come back from this. Ick!

I admit to being touched by how Brandon was fussing over Mari as she lay in her bed, but dude! Give her some breathing space! She's not a yo-yo, she's not going to bounce back to you immediately after her (what she thinks is) horrible disappointment and betrayal with Eman! Just back off a little, Brandon! (But you are still my favorite Naco Gentleman!)

Fedra is absolutely HILARIOUS! I really admire this actress. She is awesome. My favorite villainess so far!
 

I think Emanuel's little rally of sanity and brilliance suffered quite a bit when Marianela left the house. If he'd still been on his game, he could have told Ilitia, "look, Marianela will never marry me if she thinks you're still after me, so you have to pretend to be totally over me and just ignore me until it's all a done deal. In fact, you should find another novio to make it really believable. It's all for the grand plan, dear; we all have to make some sacrifices..."

Speaking of women who are after Emanuel, what's Jackie been up to lately? Shouldn't she be the one to find out that Begoña never arrived in Italy, since she got her the job with people she knew there?
 

Emilia...a woman after my own heart.

Sweeney32..Good point. Fedra is a great comedienne. She can go from menacing (Mauricio) to goofy and playful (Ilitia) in a split second. And her dancing and love scenes with Lorenzo were also hilarious...though I'm not sure they were intended to be. At any rate, her zany delivery and outfits do lighten up the villany in this one.

Julia...good strategy for Eman. Clearly you'd be a tough cookie if you ever decided to go to the Bad Side. Glad your mama raised you right.
 

Judy, after watching lasts night's episode my intention for my comments today was to bemoan a major detour in the rehabilitation of Ilitia (I was diverted by your flirtation with anemia). She was just a little too eager to jump on that bandwagon. Well, I expected setbacks. Sweeny32, don't abandon Ilitia just yet.

Maggie and Julia, bathroom accommodations in the wine cellar was one of those details and fine points I was referring to earlier. I have to admit when I saw they had taken Gretel to the wine cellar, I immediately thought of Poe's The Cask of Amontillado and indeed Bernardo promised her that she'd end her days there. Yikes!

Karen, the child I mentioned did very well after some iron supplementation though the mom had a devil of a time getting him started on any solid food.

Emilia, grab Mike and come by this week's Club Gancho. Maybe we can cook up some brownies to go with the Tom Collins.

Carlos
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder