Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Eva Luna #46 Mon 1/10/11 The Runaway Bride

As we begin Eva is near catatonic after hearing from Leonardo that it was Daniel who ran over her father and left him for dead; Claudia is telling the doctor that it doesn't matter if she has other babies because this one was the one that counted; and Don Julio has just seen Bruno and Marcela putting the moves on each other.


Julio returns to his office and has another attack. He remembers his doctor friend telling him that his situation is serious and that Julio needs to report the doctor who gave him the strichnine-laced medicine to the police. Back in the present, Julio waves the envelope with the medicine's test results around and laughs at how he'll be the one to finish off Marcy instead of the other way around. Just then he has another attack. He looks like he just might be dying this time. The envelope falls under the desk.

Francisco is about to deliver Eva's wedding dress while Alicia and Marisol are discussing Eva's curious condition. Mari thinks it's just wedding day jitters. Ali is sure it's much more serious than that. She thinks she might be in shock – that maybe she was raped even! The doorbell rings and Mari goes to see who it is.

Back at Murderous Marcy’s, Renata comes in with Julio's meal tray and races over to help him. Slowly he comes to. She keeps calling for Marcy but he mumbles to her he doesn't want her with him, that all she wants is to hurt him. Ren tells him that's not true. He keeps mumbling then about how he should never have married her and should have hung onto Justa. Ren gives him a classic sour-lemons squinty-face.

Franc must have given Don Ricardo the dress box because Ricardo walks in carrying it and tells Mari it's for Eva from “her fiancé’s driver”. She doesn't know if Eva will take it; they both are concerned for Eva and wonder what in the world could have happened to her.

Ren asks D. Julio why he's got to bring Justa up again. He says if he knew she were alive he'd go running to her to beg her forgiveness for making her suffer. Ah, how sorry he is that he did!

Meanwhile, Dan is packing for his honeymoon. He's included a pretty plum strapless number for Eva and imagines her "modeling" it for him. He decides he won't call her before the wedding for fear of bad luck. (Well, it’s going to be worse luck now that he didn’t!) Eva is remembering her daddy's funeral and her swearing to avenge his death. She cries to herself that of all the men she might have met in that city, it turns out to be Daniel! (Ok, clue #1 there’s got to be another explanation.)

At the same time, Justa knocks at the front door of the Arismendi's. Ren opens the door and is shocked to see her sister standing there. ""--How dare you return to this house!!" Justa says she's there to find out if Ren still worked there and obviously she does. Justa asks hopefully if Don Julio is still alive. Ren frowns and says if she came to speak with him to forget it because Marcela won't let her. Justa tells her she came to talk to her about her daughter. Ren's afraid of the others seeing Justa so she promises to speak with her somewhere else the next day. Justa gives her the phone number and address. Justa tells her she has plenty of questions that better be answered or she'll keep coming back until Ren does tell her. Ren promises she'll come and shuts the door. Marcy asks who it was and Ren lies that it was somebody with the wrong address.

Back at Dano's, Laurita tells Franc and Jackie that her dad's getting married but that it's a secret. A bit later Dan walks in and tells them the same thing, but at least Laurita got a huge chocolate sunday out of the deal.

Ali takes out the wedding dress and tries to get Eva to react, but she doesn't. Eva refuses to say or do anything. She won't even look in Ali's direction. (Nobody gets the idea to call Dan to come over. Ho hum….)

The next morning Dano's getting dressed for the wedding. Franc helps and gives him some sort of silly advice I don’t make heads or tails of and then, after last minute instructions, Dan races off to the church to wait for Eva.

The church is beautifully decorated for such a private ceremony. Dan has even hired Mariachis. The priest I think is the one from Justa’s parish.

Ali wakes up and finds Eva sitting up in bed and staring at the dress and rocking, but still refusing to say anything. She has a hate-filled, scary look in her eyes. Ali leaves for a bit and when she gets back she sees Eva dressed in her jeans and ready to leave. Ali tries to find out where she's going but Eva won't tell her and hisses a warning to her to let her go and not to dare follow her. Ali is frightened by the angry look on Eva's face. She chases her through the inner patio area where Adrian is playing.

Eva never shows up at the church. Dan is heartbroken. The priest suggests maybe she got caught in traffic. He says no, she isn't coming. She didn't even answer his phone calls. The priest suggests a problem with her cell phone. Dan shakes his head, sends the band away, then leaves for home. (Anyone else feel a big “Awwww” coming on?)

Meanwhile, Julio asks Renata if she's heard anything from Eva. Renata says no. She never knows anything when it comes to his spoiled assistant. Eva told Leo anyway and she's sure it's nothing more than a big lie. She also tells him when he asks, that Marcela left very early that morning for work.

Eva's at the cemetery crying and telling her dead father’s gravestone that "Dan turned out to be the one who took you from me." She should have been getting married and living out the happiest day of her life, she cries. Leo is lurking around watching in the background and comes to tell her he's there because he “feels so bad about being the one who gave her the bad news about Daniel.” (I can’t help but imagine horns on this guy’s head.) He says he knows she was going to marry Daniel today. Eva says nothing can be done about that now. She's glad he opened her eyes. She doesn't blame Leo for anything. It would have been worse if she’d had to really spend the rest of her life with him. He consoles her and tells her she needs some time to herself before confronting Dan and that she shouldn't go home right away because Dan will be sure to look for her there. He has a place in mind that she can use to rest and get her thoughts organized. As she cries on his shoulder Leo smiles ever so smugly to himself. (This guy is Slimy--with a capital S. Life in prison for what he's done to Eva wouldn't be long enough to suit me! I can only hope the telenovela gods have something super horrific planned for him in the end! Grrrr!) On the ride there she still refuses to answer Daniel's calls. Leo continues to play the bad angel on her shoulder and advise her to steer clear of Dan till she is ready to face him again.

Victoria is back at the gym again. (If I were her I’d get my money back. It’s done nothing for that oversized derriere of hers.) Another of her friends chats her up about the wedding. Icky says she's been busy with all the preparations, but yes she's very happy as the last couple of days have been really wonderful for her.

At the manse again, Giorgio is leaving as Renata comes in to tell Marcy that Eva still hasn't returned to work. Marcy snickers and says don't be surprised if she never comes back. Ren isn’t quite sure what she means by that.

Giorgio drive’s by Dan's and stops to talk to Franc who's taking party trays of food out of the trunk of the car. G asks if there's a party tonight. Franc says no, just a meeting. G says well he's going to complain to Vicki about not being invited to the party tonight. As he drives off Franc mumbles that he'd be the last he'd invite, the gossip hound! Just then he takes a call from Marisol.

Dan goes straight from the church to Eva's and after some questioning, finds out from Adrian that Eva was angry when she left and looked all messy. Dan realizes that since she didn't leave in her wedding dress something was wrong. He tries to talk to Alicia but she's not around. He leaves. Ali comes out of the shower and finds out from Adrian that Dan was there looking for her sister and left really upset when he couldn't find her.


Don Ricardo finds out from Mari that Just didn't come down to make breakfast this morning and is still up in her room. He takes her up some yougurt and strawberries and tells her he loves her and worries about her. They chat and she tells him she wishes she could respond to his affections, but she doesn't have it in her. He's glad to hear her at least mention

Later, Ali swallows her pride and sweet-talks Tony into driving her around the area to look for Eva. They don't find her anywhere because she's already gone off with Leo to his "hideaway" in the hills. It turns out to be (I think) the house they own in the country.

Dan arrives home where Jackie, Laurita and Franc have flowers and food all laid out. He looks miserable as he tells them that there wasn't any wedding. Eva ran off and didn't tell anybody anything. She didn't even answer his calls. "--I was jilted." [dejar plantado] (Heck, I'm even ready to shed a few tears!) Everyone there is speechless. Jackie is sure something bad must have happened because she knows Eva is very much in love with him. Franc mentions something his father always said: "Think the worst and you'll be right." (Way to go, Franc!) Dan tells them how he found out that she wasn't even dressed when she ran out this morning. It was as if she was running away! "--What kind of explanation could you have for that?" Just then the doorbell rings and it's Marcy. She looks around and gloats about the wedding party that wasn't. "--Who's getting married on us, Daniel? Who should I be congratulating? Are the servants getting married?" (Marcela obviously knows what’s happened here.) Dan says he doesn't have time for her right now. She tells him he'd better make time because what she's come to tell him is more important than he could ever imagine.

At the hideaway, Eva starts to think better about being there alone with Leo and says she thinks she needs to really go back home. He tries to talk her out of it and goes off to make her something to drink. (One rufie or two?)

Meanwhile, Marisol visits Giorgio in the design studio. He’s flattered. She tells him she's there because she wants him to meet her boyfriend. (OMG! I can't wait for that little dog and cat spat!)

Dan loses his temper with Marcy and tells her she can do whatever she wants about the matter. He doesn't see why it's so important to speak with him. He repeats he doesn't have the time or the head for anything dealing with the agency right now. She smirks and snidely says, "--Wow, what an attitude for a party! You're in a bad humor! I guess the wedding is kaput." (Dan’s a bit too polite for my way of thinking.) "--Doña Marcela, I told you I was busy, so please stop wasting your time." She becomes all business. "--Well, whether you like it or not, you will have to come with me. This won't make you tired; it has to do with Eva." Dan whips around. "What happened with Eva? What do you know about her?" She stares back at Dan and smiles wide like the Cheshire Cat and purrs.



Labels:


Comments:
Jardinera you are a treasure. I missed the show last night, not my choice this time, my TV was taken over for the football game. But again, it was probably good because from what I read in your wonderful recap, I would have been steaming by the time the show was over.

Everything I said yesterday on how ridiculous they are portraying Eva still stands and then some...she actually goes off with Leo? Oh, c'mon...

And if Marcy tells Dano she ran off with Leo and he thinks the worst of Eva...I may just take a break from this TN for a few more days on purpose to keep my blood-pressure down. He's shown the ability to know when they are playing him, so the writers better not deviate from that.
 

Daisynjay: I think you might be pleasantly surprised if you check back in tonight. The previews looked encouraging. That's all I'll say! ;>)
 

Thanks for the recapJardinera.

They portray some of the protagonists as fools. Why should Eva believe Leo. After the two of them (all Leo's idea) were trying to see who would bed her first.

How can Eva break up without questioning Dano??? It's all so silly....

Ann-NYC
 

Jardinera, from the line we hear Dan say in the previews, it could be positive (what you are thinking) but it could be VERY negative (if he believes the story)... and I have a feeling to stretch the novela it will be the later... but I am heading where Fran told Dan... think the worst and it will happen!! LOL!!
yes, it was definitely a forgettable episode... this and last friday are goners in my dvdr.
 

as far as suggestion for an ending to LEO. HOW about the guy catches on fire and he gets his face burned horribly and ends up a cripple... that way he can't move around easily, can't look at himself in the mirror to tell himself how smart and good catch he is, and he ends up under the care of Renata... for life.
 

as far as a burned or disfigured face, I would wish that too for V=icky but I want Don JollyO and Justa to actually be able to enjoy having their daughter around.
 

Thanks so much, Jardinera, for the excellent recap. You captured everything with style and snark. Loved your observation about Icky at the gym: "(If I were her I’d get my money back. It’s done nothing for that oversized derriere of hers.)"

The way the writers have portrayed Eva is driving me nuts. Where is Fernanda from MEPS when we need her? The only thing that helps me tolerate the estupidez in this TN is that I'm also watching "Triunfo del Amor," and compared to that, "Eva Luna" is sensible and realistic.

Oh well, I've tightened my beanie and am eager to see tonight's "Eva Luna" episode (I'm not so sure about "Triunfo").
 

Jardinera, I'll give it a go tonight and see what Dano says and how he reacts. As for Eva...I'm hoping if Leo comes on all slimy and strong, maybe she'll have a re-fire of the brain cells.
 

Excellent, Jardinera. I particularly liked "I can’t help but imagine horns on this guy’s head." and "If I were her I’d get my money back. It’s done nothing for that oversized derriere of hers" Didn't you know that she got Maria Dolores' phone number from Betty la Flaca?

Can anybody recover IQ points after a loss like this one? Since we know that this novela will run for at least 130 episodes if the ratings are adequate, it's going to be a while before Eva realizes that Daniel couldn't have been the one who caused her father's death. Murderous Marcy, Venomous Vicky, and Lecherous Leo will have too much fun before that situation is fixed. At least Ratty Renata has something to distract her at the moment before she becomes a full accomplice to their next move.

Now, will Francisco save the day by remembering where his boss was on the day of the accident?

My predictions for the karma awaiting our villains:

Marcy -- madness
Leo -- paralysis
Vicki -- disfigurement
 

Leo will probably drug her

I cant stand this Eva any longer. Pathetic

Thanks for recap anyway

Kalum
 

Lordy! You guys are over ready for vengeance! I sort of like the out of the box thinking here from all you guys. I sort of agree with the thinking that if we've got 130 or so episodios, then we'll have at least a month of problems resulting from this car business. Ugh!!! So far it seems the writers realize that their American audience likes quicker resolution of the problems, so if we're lucky there will be other problems to solve along the way. That's the way Pasión kept it's US audience thrilled and coming back for more (aside from FC's love scenes).
 

I still think Claw will come to Eva's rescue with the truth about Leo. Don't know how or when, but that seems the most likely to me. Francisco will know they all went boating that day of the car accident, but only Dan and Claw of the bunce will know enough to someday say Leo told them he'd run into a tree or something.

I personally am over ready to have Deborah return and start giviing Marcela a run for her money, not to mention old Julio. He's not reliable enough with all those heart attacks of his.
 

Jar: Amiga, bien hecho como siempre!

I deliberately chose not to watch this capitulo last night as I knew what was coming. Guy Ecker seems so believable and kind in this TN. I am really cheering him on, but could not bear to see him jilted.

There was such a sweetness about his preparations for this unfulfilled boda that warmed my heart. I did not want to sit and watch his heart be broken.

The Eva actriz does a really believable job (why am I blanking on her name?!) with the crying, but the woman is not stupid and I hate seeing smart women behave in stupid ways.

So, I counted on our Jar's excellent way with words to let me know what I missed. As usual, she did not disappoint!

Let's see if I can get the nerve to see tonight's capitulo.

Agree with UA on the fate of each of the evil characters. The only thing that I would ask (and this is where I was SO incredibly frustrated with STuD and Ivaca) is that these miserables be forced to answer to the people that they have harmed. It is not enough to run away and do oneself in...they need to hear from those they have harmed.

That inability of the people who were harmed in STuD by Ivaca to tell her to her face how she deeply hurt them was a huge disappointment in that TN for me.

Susanita
 

Jardinera wrote: "That's the way Pasión kept it's US audience thrilled and coming back for more (aside from FC's love scenes)." "Aside from FC's love scenes"? That made me remember "Aside from that, Mrs. Kennedy, how did you like Dallas?"
 

Jardinera,

Thanks for the great recap, you recapper's are great, and not just for the last two chapters of this TN.

Good grief This TN is going to KILL ME. I was soooooo spitten mad last nite. How could Eva believe that stinken slim-ball Leo, and go off with him last nite. WTH is wrong with her, doesn't she know by now that he's stalking her, and that is not legal here in PA or in LA. He show's up everywhere she (EVA) goes, come on EVA look around you for heavens sake. I felt so bad for Daniel last nite, I cried when he came home and Jacky, Fran, and Laurita had the party set up. I'm glad he was giving Marcella the "What for" last nite. Icky-vicky must really be out of her cotton-picken-mind if she still thinks Daniel's going to Marry her, after she came to his bedroom with a knife to kill him. I really might have to stop watching this show, it's making me crazy like VICKY LOL. Michele in PA
 

Great recap, I wish I wouldn't have even suffered sitting through the hideous hour.
I usually get upset with the expected twists and turns of these novelas but for some reason I have REALLY let this one get under my skin in a bad way.
I already despise Satan's helpers (Leo, Marcella, and Vicki) even more than Ivana from STuD. Killing an innocent baby, unforgivable!
Is it reaLly so beyond comprehension to show female characters using both hemispheres of their brain. Maybe it was just too much crap coming down all at once that set me off.
My teenage kids think it is hilarious how pissed I allow myself to get from watching these novelas.
 

I was rather shocked toward the end of STuD when Benita didn't haunt Ivana as Oscar did. And you know what the worst thing will be at the end of this one?

The Mandatory Forgiveness. For me this is one of the most obnoxious novela cliches.

Is there a thread for general discussion? I'd love to start one on the standard cliches.
 

I love this site, so many of you feel like me that somehow this novela took a dramatic wrong turn. I have turned it off, first time I have watched Chuck in 2 years! I am getting my share by the wonderful recappers, where would I be without you. I will return to viewing this noveal when I read it has turned back to something I call sane in this telenovela world. I frankly think that Leo is going to be killed by his sister, she said on one episode if you ever let me down I will kill you, and he has always acted nervous I guess he knows she's capable of it. Please keep up the great recapping, maybe one day I will go back to viewing this. I have always wondered if actors say "wait this is wrong, definitely not something this character would do, think of something else." I would have preferred to see Eva marry Daniel, and then keep away from him until the death of her father was solved.
 

Aside from all the sad that happened last night, I LOVED the scene with Daniel and Laurita where he tried to explain to her that this trip was only for him and Eva and she started suggesting she would be their personal waiter/assistant... too sweet!!
 

This episode could also be called Eva Goes Loony since she's really in leave of her senses. How could Daniel raise a child like Laurita and be a bad person?

Kudos to Julian Gil for his convincing portrayal of Leo. He played a doctor in Gabriel -- Amor Inmortal but every time I see him here I feel like I need to take a shower.
 

Jardinera--I could hardly read the recap through the tears. And that was the second round after watching last night.

Usually we see brides left at the altar, so Dan's being left plantado was so sad, especially after all his happy anticipatory preparations. Then, having to come back to the house empty handed was even worse.

I threw my beanie at Alicia when she didn't call Dan--they have his phone number. Then I had to quick put it back on when Leo showed up at the cemetary and made off with Eva--hope she gets her wits back quick.

And Marcela--talk about gloating.

We all know Leo isn't going to take too kindly to Eva being charged with embezzlement, but if they can't find her--they can't arrest her. Does this mean she's going to stay disappeared for awhile?

It doesn't look good for Eva with Dan is being shown the proofs from the security camera (in tonight's avances) and her subsequent fuga. Dan knows she wouldn't do something like that, so what to do, what to do.

I'm going to have to miss the next few days, so carry on and I'll catch up when I get back.
Una Norteamericana
 

Oh, UA, ITA about how Dan has raised Laurita should be a big clue to his character.

Think, Eva, think. Dan almost ran you down with his car in one of the first encounters you had with him. He stopped to check you and tried to drive you home, but left you at the bus stop, because you insisted.

He also stopped and came to pick you up when you tripped and hit your head and rushed you off to the clinic. And he didn't even cause that accident. Is this the sort of man who whould leave the scene of an accident?

Leo brought you to the pretty log cabin in the woods to think, so THINK, girl, think.
Una Nte-Am
 

@Urban Anthropologist--
Re your remark about a general discussion place for topics not restricted to a single TN, such as TN cliches, I just wanted to call attention to the wonderful telenovela bingo game that someone posted a link to (and perhaps also created? I'm not sure). I think the message appeared early in the "Eva Luna" thread, though I'm not sure. At any rate, each of the Bingo squares is a different TN cliche'd situation (e.g., "Galán Engaged to Someone Other than Protagonista," "Faked Pregnancy," or "Villain Confesses to Priest") or phrase (e.g., "¡No puede ser!" "¡Te lo juro!" or "¡Suéltame!"). I pretty quickly got 5 in a row with this TN, though I think it would have been even faster with STuD. :-)
 

Thank you so much, Jardinera, for your wonderful recap. As usual, I found it very comforting to know that there are others as frustrated as I am, and you articulate it so creatively and on the mark!

I am so in agreement about how angry this TN is making me. And last night, I was in too bad mood after watching it that I didn´t have the patience to watch Triunfo. I do not find Victoria a sympathetic character.

But, yes, Eva is like a robot and believes everything Leo says and I repeat I find her very narrowminded. And I felt badly for Daniel, he is such a dear. Why is it that all the ¨nice guys¨ seem to finish last before they finish first. It was just awful and Daniel looked so sad. But the lack of common sense and abundance of stupidity, and villainous behavior that we have to slog our way through in this TN AND in StuD and also working it´s way through Triunfo is enough to make any one curl up in a fetal position and suck their thumb!

On the subway this morning I was thinking how anyone will be able to prove that Eva did NOT steal any money. With the attitudes that Marcela and Vicky have, how will anyone be able to refute them? Maybe Daniel will believe them and refuse to believe Eva, to counterbalance her believing Leo. But I don´t think Daniel has that type of vengeance in him, or at least I don´t think it would be true to his characters, even if the writers take that path. Daniel does not have a mean bone in his body. He is a very evolved character! But all that said, I STILL can´t wait for tonight´s episode however, I´m SSOS! . I love Daniel, but OH, that Jose Miguel...´nough said!
 

Thanks, guys for all the great comments. Glad you liked the recap. Sometimes when they grab you emotionally it's really hard to go through it all again and serve it up. On the other hand I guess if we keep watching these things we're gluttons for punishment! I just keep reminding myself that the next time Marcy or Leo smirk that they're gonna get theirs! LOL!
 

I think I noticed the TN Bingo being mentioned somewhere. What I was looking for was an opportunity for each of us to answer the following question:

If you could eliminate any one major novela cliche, which would it be?
 

UA--
I think all the cliches play roles for the writers at different times. I mean, when you think of it, the whole telenovela genre is a cliche, no?

I think hospital scenes are overdone, but you can't do without them. Amnesia, maybe? Separating lovers for 100 episodes when the tn runs for 130? Baby switches? Twins? They are all successful plot devices when you need them. It's just that when we get a whole diet of them we get sick and unbelieving.


Meanwhile I was mulling over that stupid boda again. I have a patch-work beanie now--ripped apart and sewn back together again.

1. Dan, the dim-wit. Why hadn't he arranged for Francisco or a limo to pick up his bride and deliver her safely to the church? He knows her funds are limited and she doesn't have a car. He would have known ahead of time something was seriously wrong.

2. Where were the witnesses, had she shown up? He had a mariachi band, but no witnesses or attendants? What about his BCF (that's Best Chauffeur Forever) acting as Best Man?

2. Why wouldn't he have allowed Eva to have her sister be her maid of honor and the second witness. Where are we, zombieland? Don't we still need a witness or two in the US?

3. What secrecy? By the time he had all the arrangements made, Maria, his secretary knew, the priest, the mariachi band, the travel agent, Laurita, Jacky, Francisco. Surely Alicia would have known something was up seeing her sister dressed in a wedding gown, por FAVOR.

Last comentario for awhile, te lo juro (haha)
Una Nte-Am
 

Jardinera, Thanks for the great recap. This was a hard one to watch. I was up and down and peaking from the kitchen. So appriciate your detail.

And I sure hope we don't have to go through any more "Julio is down, no he's up" scenerios. I hope he makes it through the rest of this novela. I was surprised that Renata didn't tell Marcella who was at the door. Do you think she regrets what she did?

Not much more to add. Can't imagine either Dan or Leo letting Eva go to jail for the check thing.

Thanks again Jardinera. You really work hard for this site. I just realized you are doing TDA as well.
 

Pata: Thanks, it's become a "hobby" of sorts and I guess that's why I've taken on two now that I have the free time. : > )

========
ITA about Dan not sending a limo or Franc to pick up both Ali and Eva! I wondered about that. I suppose Daon thought the Mariachi's could be witnesses and kill two birds with one stone..... Je-je. On the other hand, I guess we couldn't have Ali and Franc see each other yet after that screwy time at the other guy's apartment.
 

Jardinera,

I'd forgotten about Alicia playing maid for Marsole, ha ha that would have been funny to see those two be witness for Daniel and Eva.

Maybe Dano could have brought Jacky, franc, and Laurita as the witness for the wedding b/c they all knew about the wedding. Michele in Pa
 

Thank you so much for this great recap! I've been falling behind on all the episodes and am trying to catch up, but wanted to make sure to thank you.
 

Victoria is the SEXIEST woman, with the BEST posterior, I have EVER seen! Nuts or not, I can't imagine ANY man ever leaving her for Eva! Victoria (the character) not the actress, is my idea of pure PERFECTION -- an absolute Goddess! She is what EVERY woman should strive to be!!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder