Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Triunfo del Amor #16 1/24/11 Psst, Bernarda, your crazy is showing – or – Talk to the hand.

In which Max and María are in love; Linda and Osvaldo are in lust; and Victoria and JP are in despair.
Max and María Desamparada are apart but each is thinking of the other and sighing dreamily.

As Victoria continues her confession to Padre Juan Pablo, he is troubled at how bitter and hard she seems. He never realized how much harm he had done to her…
Not just to me, she interrupts, to me and our innocent daughter!

Whoa! Say what????

She sees that his shock is genuine and realizes that his mother truly never told him about the pregnancy. Victoria sets him straight. When she found out about the pregnancy, Bernarda called her a liar and threw her out of the house. And all that time he was trying to get closer to God and heaven, she was suffering unimaginable hardship.

And where is the child now? he asks. I have no idea, says Victoria with anguish.

(Well we viewers know where she is: She is practicing her runway walk under Pipino’s semi-watchful eye. It’s hard for Pipino to stay on task when Toni is around and there’s juicy gossip.)

You mean -- you abandoned her? asks JP, appalled. (¿Acaso la abandonaste?) And Victoria tells the story of the car in the night, how she woke up in the hospital and realized her daughter was gone. And the worst thing of all: she never knew if the little girl was dead or alive.

The confession moves to the sacristy. Victoria’s husband doesn’t know about her past – yet another reason she has no peace in her life. JP can’t find the words to respond. That’s because there aren’t any, says Victoria bitterly:
Mientras tú has vivido en el paraíso yo he vivido en el infierno.(While you have lived in paradise, I’ve lived in hell.)

When Victoria leaves, JP, now weeping, kneels in prayer and vows to find his daughter and reunite her with her mother.

Back at his office at the Casa de Modas, Max gives his buddy Fabián some sound advice: No te fijes en Fer. (Don’t set your sights on Fer.)

María smiles as she hears Pipino tell Toni that Max wasn’t flirting with any of the girls at Fer’s party. But her smile fades when he adds: Maybe he misses Ximena. Toni scoffs: That girl’s not for him.

Maybe Toni has written her off, but Ximena – we haven’t met her yet, but we already hate her on María D’s behalf – is still in the game. She phones Max from Paris; he dodges her call. Fabián remarks that Ximena’s going to be surprised when she comes back to Mexico and discovers she’s not the star model of the agency and not Max’s main squeeze.

María’s very interested in the next Pipino and Toni tidbit: Max suspected Ximena was cheating on him (le puso el cuerno); that’s why she was shipped off to Paris. Harsh.

Uh oh, St. Bernarda. Looks like the jig is up. She is irritated when JP interrupts her prayers but JP spits out:
¡Quiero saber por qué me ocultaste que Victoria tuvo una hija mia!(I want to know why you didn’t tell me Victoria gave birth to my child!)
She is stunned and wheels around to face him…
and he continues:
…y quiero saberlo ahora mismo!(...and I want to know right now!)

She is shaken a bit but remembers: the best defense is a good offense. She shoots back:
¿A que viene este absurdo interrogatorio?(Where do you get off grilling me like that?)
But JP stands his ground. He won’t listen to her denials or let her take refuge in empty piety. He insists they must help Victoria.

Bernarda snarls and shows a mouthful of teeth (I’m reminded of the Sea Witch, Ursula, from The Little Mermaid). Victoria is the serpent who brought sin into the garden, she raves. She made you bite the apple…

A lesser man would run from this scary mother. But JP insists: Victoria told him everything. Under the seal of the confessional. And we are talking about your grandchild, he reminds her, your own flesh and blood (sangre de tu sangre).

Osvaldo comes home to find that Victoria has taken to her bed, black eyeshade and all. She feels awful and wants to be left alone. He gives her the kiss-off head kiss, and says ominously:
Lo que tú digas, amor.
(As you wish, my love.)

Back at the office, Oscar confesses to Toni that he’s in love with Victoria. (Yeah. Stop the presses.)

Here’s Max -- a soft gray scarf over an argyle sweater and suit jacket, just the right mix of luxe and cool -- oh sorry, where was I? Oh yes, at the Sandoval home, Max comes in to check on Victoria. He assumes she is still upset about Fer and marvels at how someone so strong can be such a pushover when it comes to his sister. Victoria, however, is determined to help Fer back onto the right path. Max is afraid it may be too late.

Poor Juan Pablo is still closeted with that raging raving fiend he calls madre. She thunders:
¡Victoria es el demonio encarnado!(Victoria is the devil incarnate!)
And those of us at home who are not hiding behind our couches, are standing and shouting back: No! You’re the devil! You!

JP is undaunted. Victoria was an innocent girl when I knew her, he says. As innocent as I was. I was the first man in her life.

This reference to JP’s lapse into carnal sin is too much for St Bernarda. How dare he speak like that in her sanctuary! It’s a sacrilege! No, he counters, I’m just telling the truth. And besides:
¿Te das cuenta que con tu silencio eres tan pecadora como yo?(Do you realize that by keeping silent you’re as much a sinner as I am?)

Bernarda is apoplectic:
¡Soy tu madre y me debes respeto!(I’m your mother and you owe me respect!)
And she slaps JP’s face. Wham. She is breathing hard.

But that’s nothing compared to the heavy breathing going on in Osvaldo’s car. LindoHo is prepared to “give” him whatever he needs – understanding, affection, a quick roll in the hay. (Well perhaps “sell” would be a more accurate word than “give”.)

The Mother Superior pops in on María. Holy Shmoley, she’s leading the cheer for Team Max!
Nadie debe desairar un amor tan grande y tan sincero.(No one should snub a love that is so great and so sincere.)

Still have doubts about Max? Check out the big purple shopping bag filled with toy cars and trucks he brings to Martincito, now recovering nicely in the hospital.

At the Casa Sandoval, the maid brings the still prostrate Victoria some pills for her headache and tells her that Osvaldo isn’t home yet.

Osvaldo and Linda. Horizontal mambo. Blech.

At the apartment, María tells Nathy what Sor Clementina said: that Max really loves her.

The softening-up campaign is working. When María sees Max arrive at the Casa de Modas -- splendid in a red scarf today -- she flies into his arms.

Padre JP prays aloud. There must have been so many times, he says, when the girl needed me and I wasn’t there for her. Domingo overhears him and is puzzled. What girl is he talking about?

Max and María are still outside the office making goo goo eyes at each other. He has no words to describe the depth of his feeling for her. She is still afraid. Listen to your heart, he tells her. María tries to explain that she is fragile; she has suffered a lot and needs to feel safe. He promises he’ll always protect her. Right.

Victoria tells Toni about her confession to Juan Pablo. All those years she spent blaming JP for abandoning her and now she finds out that his mother never told him Victoria was pregnant. It is Bernarda who is to blame and not her son.

St. Bernarda is in fact blaming herself. But not for her sins against Victoria. Self-flagellation is no mere metaphor for our Bernie. She whips her hand until it bleeds. The hand must be punished for slapping JP, the person whose prayers will save her from the flames of hell. Not. She vows to destroy Victoria for bringing sin to her house. She is one scary crazy mother.

María reluctantly agrees to keep her relationship with Max a secret for now. He wants to wait until things calm down a bit in his family.

Padre JP prays for guidance in this, his dark night of the soul (noche negra del alma).

Why speak to JP just now, asks Toni. Victoria replies:
La presencia de Padilla y la locura de mi hiji fueron la gota que derramó el vaso.(Padilla’s presence and my daughter’s stunt were the last straw.)
It’s not a question of revenge, explains Victoria, but rather of truth and justice. By now, JP must have gone to his mother and held her accountable for her actions. That’s the only part of all this I’m enjoying, she says:
La rabia y el coraje de Doña Bernarda al enterarse que su hijo ya sabe todo.(Doña B’s rage and fury when she finds out her son knows everything.)
Yup. That is pretty sweet.

Toni finds it hard to believe JP didn’t know about the baby. But Victoria knows he was telling the truth. Toni wonders what Osvaldo will do when he finds out about her past—
Just then Osvaldo enters.

Linda brags to Nathy and María that she had her way with Osvaldo. Double blech.

Victoria hasn’t heard from Osvaldo since yesterday. What gives? He explains that since she wasn’t feeling well, he thought he’d get out of her hair. So he stayed overnight at Guillermo’s. Then he gives her another of those kiss-off kisses, this time on the forehead, and leaves.

Things are going from bad to worse, Toni tells her friend: if she doesn’t change her attitude, she’s gonna lose Ozzie.

She’s not wrong, dude. Ozzie is savoring the memory of his uh… amorous encounter… with LindaHo.

Nathy doesn’t see any harm in María and Max keeping their noviazgo quiet for now. His mother is kind of… well… difficult.

The unluckiest servant in Mexico, Tomasa, notices the big honkin’ bandage wrapped around St. Bernarda’s hand. When Tomasa asks about it, Bernie tells her to shut her piehole. Then she begins to rant about Victoria coming into the church like a ghost. The girl, Victoria? asks the puzzled (but incredibly valiant) Tomasa.

The others are dust and ashes, continues Bernarda with terrifying displays of dentition. It’s my fault, my fault! (Here she beats her breast with the injured hand.) God, we made a deal! I gave you my son – now you have to honor your end of the bargain!

Tomasa is alarmed. Even in a sea of crazy, this is starting to feel like a tsunami. She wants to call JP but Bernarda pushes her out of the room.

Bernarda resumes her raving: She had to slap JP to stop his recriminations. Now it’s time to go after Victoria. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth! Bwahaha!

Cleansing breath. Sweet William in a kayak.

Labels:


Comments:
thanks for the excellent recapp felt like i actually watched it.i will forever appreciate caraycaray...
 

Another great recap! Thanks for all the Spanish, too. I don't know why, but I was in lala land and had trouble understanding stuff tonight....especially WL and Maite. Is it just me or are they mumblers? I don't have much trouble with the other actors. (And at this point I think it's a mental thing. I think I can't understand them, so I don't.)

Anyhoo--I'm very sad that Ozzie took the bait and jumped into the sack with LindaHo. I understand he is feeling rejected, neglected and, well, horny. But he could pick up diseases for heaven's sake. I guess he has no idea that he's being used. *sigh*

All of which makes me dislike Victoria even MORE. Aren't we supposed to feel pity for her? Seriously, I have no warm fuzzies for her at all.

While he still needs a little grooming, I am liking JP more and more. Too bad he is just a pawn in his mother's crazy, sick, religious game. (Heavy emphasis on "crazy" and "sick.")

And speaking of St Bernard--Her acting is stellar but it seems out of place for a modern setting. I guess it's because I first saw her in Alborada, but it just seems like she needs to be in colonial Mexico...not Mexico D.F. Her lines seem archaic and she delivers them in a very Shakespearean way. The collars don't help at all.

I'm still rooting for Tomasa and Antonieta. I hope they get rewarded for their steadfast loyalty.

I assume everyone got the memo that it will be airing an hour later tonight? I know I'll be there. I'm really enjoying this ride.
 

PS: "Whoa! Say what???"

So funny! I could hear the record scratching to a halt in the background.
 

Padre Hottie must realize that his mother is certifiable. Tomasa seems to know and if she doesn't run for it she will be the next victim.

I don't know if we will ever get any information about Bernarda's past prior to her relationship with JP's father but I am going to guess that she was an ignored or unloved child of a religious-fanatic mother. She therefore started looking for love in all the wrong places. That would explain why she is such a drama queen.

What will be interesting is when her double standard comes out: "Victoria's child is hellspawn because she dared to tempt a man of God" while her son is pure despite being a child of adultery.

My Catholic friends over the years have told me about large families in which one or more of the children are encouraged to enter the religious life. This whole notion of buying salvation by giving your child to God is just a more modern version of human sacrifice.

Bernarda's hubris will be her downfall. She claims to know the will of God and that it entitles or compels her to do that which is illegal in the eyes of man. I am willing to bet that Padre Hottie himself will not claim to know God's will and that he will ultimately tell her that she is beyond presumptuous.
 

"Bernarda snarls and shows a mouthful of teeth (I’m reminded of the Sea Witch, Ursula, from The Little Mermaid)." haha! i swear the whole time she was speaking to God in the end of the episode, I was thinking that she looked like some Disney villan. Wonderful, Novela Maven. Gracias.
 

Starting to tune in again to this TN, and tonight was quite a doozy to see. Thanks for the recap of events and the vocabulary - love that!

Man, Bernarda gives new meaning to the word delusional. Poor JP (and he was looking fine in his distraught mood - don't see him as a priest much longer??) I almost wanted him to rip off the collar in front of her. But she would have had a stroke and we can't have that happen yet I guess.

Max and Maria - calm before the storm. Too early in the TN for happy days - I give it a week or so before hell breaks loose ( and I'm guessing it's the infamous Ximena)

I've not watched this faithfully each day, but can I just say I so enjoy seeing Fabian when he's on screen...I'm hoping this guy gets some juicier air time as this TN rolls along.
 

Thanks so much, NovelaMaven, for yet another wonderful recap. As always, I'm very grateful for the Spanish vocab, and I love your humor, such as "we haven’t met her yet, but we already hate her on María D’s behalf," "(Well perhaps “sell” would be a more accurate word than “give”)," and "Even in a sea of crazy, this is starting to feel like a tsunami."

I'll be leaving later this week on a trip, so I won't be able to watch the TN, but I'll definitely be keeping up with the recaps. I confess that I'm enjoying them much more than the show itself.
 

Thanks NovelaMaven, very funny, and very informative. My TIVO opted to record something else and by the time I discovered it, the show was almost over. I came in with Bernarda swatting at her hand... ¿Qué? What the heck are you doing woman? After reading your recap... makes perfect sense... nevermind, go right ahead crazy lady.

So ¡Gol! ¡Gol, ¡Gol! for Linda? Shame on you, Osvaldo.

Very funny lines. My favorites:

"...but Ximena – we haven’t met her yet, but we already hate her on María D’s behalf..."

"And those of us at home who are not hiding behind our couches, are standing and shouting back: No! You’re the devil! You!"

Thanks for catching me up, and once again, I love the way you weave the Spanish lines into your narrative.

Carlos
 

Tks NM, great recap & I really appreciate the vocab, just wish I could remember it.

Is Bernarda a member of Opus Dei? Too bad she didn't continue with the self corporal mortification.
She reminds me of Cruella de Vil in 101 dalmatians.

I want to take a bag of Schicks to the set. Both JP & Max, the whiskers look so scraggly, also drop by David Zepeda. Must be hard to shave that mess.

Fabian (Marco Méndez) is really cute, I'll have to ck what he has done.
 

NovelaMaven another fantastic hilarious recap thank you.


I have to say so far i like Daniela Romo's performance in this one more than i liked her in Sorti and since i didn't see Alborada i can't compare her performance to that one.

Sara sometimes the actors native tongue does make it difficult to pick up what they're saying.

We all certainly hope the Oz was wearing a strong condom or at least two when he did the dirty deed with LindaHo'.
 

NovelaMaven- Thanks you so much for the snarky recap of an episode filled with crazies, harpies and hos.

Oh Ozzie. Like you, I also knew you would fall into Linda's honey trap, but you still disappointed me.

I would really like Vicky to get some motivation and focus. Does she still hate JP now that she knows he didn't know about the baby? And just what was her plan for revenge? Was that it? Become successful and go whine in JP's confessional one day? Didn't she have a lot of years to plan this out, like 20? I thought the same thing when she encountered her rapist. Shouldn't this be a golden opportunity to stomp out the little worm now that she's rich and powerful, and he's some loser living in a slum? I'm not encouraging vengeance. But it is better than sitting around, crying and whining. So far she gets and A for weeping, and a D for ass whupping. Get it together Vicky! Use your money and power to put these bastards in their place, or stop whining about it!

Warning to Maria-- If you're boyfriend wants to keep your relationship a secret, then he's not your boyfriend. This is a major red flag!
 

NovelaMaven, thank you for the great recap. I didn't see this but laughed as soon as I saw the title. "It’s hard for Pipino to stay on task when Toni is around and there’s juicy gossip" was one of my favorite lines. Very well done.

The situation with Padre Juan Pablo is an interesting one. Would he have become a priest had Bernarda not pushed with all her might? Flashbacks indicate JP's father might have felt it wasn't the clear-cut vocation for him. JP now seems thoroughly dedicated to his vocation. He cared for but was never madly in love with Victoria. Even if Os wasn't in the picture, I don't think he'd leave the church now under any circumstances.

I'm with everyone who is dismayed and saddened by Os. Didn't take him long to give in, did it? :( Victoria is no picnic but he went from hero to zero is less than 60 seconds.

Diana
 

NovelaMaven, what a wonderful recap of this over-the-top crazy episode. I was on the verge of giving up, but Bernarda's fit convinced me to stay. That and the Mother Superior pimping Alex to MariaD.
I couldn't relate to Daniela Romo in Sortelegio, but she's cracking me up and scaring me here. I'm starting to like padre JP as well.
Os, you're too easy. So sad, big guy.
La Paloma
 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccvUstooIfw

This is dedicated to Burnie.
 

Bernarda brainwashed him into entering the seminary. Octavio certainly wouldn't have encouraged this, but must have been spending too much time at the office to have been unable to undermine this influence. Remember that he points out how JP hadn't had the normal experiences of a young man and had never had a girlfriend.

Maybe if there had been a Linda eyeing him at uni he may have chosen a secular life with a business, law, or medical degree (like in Las Vias del Amor). That would have made Dad happy.

There is a scene in EPDA where the Padre mentions having been a philosophy major at university. His ordination scene indicated he had doubts up to and beyond that moment.
 

Well, now you Univision watchers are getting a taste of what we've enjoyed for quite a while on the Telemundo area of this blog.

NovelaMaven really brings the snark, plus gives LOTS of useful translations.

I know Romo is being really, really evil. But so far she's my favorite on this show.
 

Burnie has a snazzy, jazzy theme song!
 

NovelaMaven: fantastic recap - thanks. Max's character wearing scarves everyday is over the top, but he did look especially 'splendid in a red scarf.'
 

Thank you, NovelaMaven!

Variopinta:
Fabian (Marco Méndez) is really cute, I'll have to ck what he has done.

I may sound like a parrot or a broken record (LVO, LVO, LVO), but in La verdad oculta we adore him, though his character has done some very bad things out of cowardice. He is VERY cute. :)
 

Aribeth,
Is La verdad oculta on now, if so when?

I think Daniel Romo is great, I like her in this much better than Sortilegio. She was very good in Alborada.

I also think Osvaldo is doing a great job. I'm not thrilled with any other performance, maybe Diego Olivera. BTW He seemed so much taller than WL, so I cked him out 6'4 1/2, but that site is not too reliable.
 

Ruffo is overdoing it, probably not her fault but Mejia's. Not very impressed with Maite. I see no expression in her face.

Does Ruffo cry in everything? All we need is her with Adela Noriega & Yáñez yelling.
 

Variopinta:
Yes, it's the midnight show for insomniacs. Tonight he's going to have some great scenes, and since Jeri always posts youtube links to the recaps you can check him quickly and easily.

For me Daniela Romo is going to be Marguarita from El manantial forever. She was suberb there and in Alborada. I liked her in Las vías del horror and Si Dios me quita la vida, too, but I think she's better villana than protagonist/co-protagonist/the prot's mom-aunt-best friend.
 

Does Ruffo cry in everything?

No, she doesn't. She used to have better roles in the '80s and '90s. I don't watch Telemundo but people liked her in Victoria, too.
As I said before, Mejía can give to young actors great opportunities (Colunga, Spanic, Boyer, Luis Roberto Guzmán, Layevska, Víctor Noriega), but he can also ruin the older actors' careers (Jorge Salinas, César Évora, Yanez, Noriega). Though rumor says Larrosa (who'll make the next primetime telenovela) wants to work with Jorge again.
 

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. I'm having a good time with this one. The crazier it gets, the more fun it is to watch it and to write about it.

[By the way, this was the recap that almost wasn't -- I lost my internet connection just when I was ready to post it. After an hour of handwringing, it came back. Like magic.]
 

Thanks, NovelaMaven. Real life is a little frantic right now, but I usually catch some of the show and always enjoy the recaps. Like everyone, I'm disappointed that Os succumbed to LindaHo's wiggly , giggly charms. Que lastima...so much for your Onetruelove, Os. I guess that in Os's case, when the going gets tough , he gets going with a young chickie. Bad man.
 

NovelaMaven: Terrific title and a terrific read. My favorite descriptor - "Bernarda with terrifying displays of dentition". LOL! Keep 'em comin'! Je, je!
============

Susanlynn: "I guess that in Os's case, when the going gets tough , he gets going with a young chickie." Yep. Veinte años just went phhhht down the drain!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder