Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cuando Me Enamoro #8 Friday 4/29/11 The Bearing of Bad News

We start with *lots* of rehash from Thursday, so I'll spare you the leftovers and get to the goods.

An ever-tearful Matilde tells Jeronimo that his brother Rafael is dead.

Jero: No puede ser! How did he die? Why did no one tell me?!

Mati: We didn't have your phone number, so we had no way to tell you that Rafael died because of a woman!

Jero: A woman killed him?!

Mati: In a way, yes. Rafael killed himself because of a woman!

Lazaro cuts into the conversation and introduces himself as the capataz (foreman, overseer) at the hacienda. He tells Jero the straight truth: Rafael committed suicide yesterday morning. Dr. Nesme said they should give Rafa a decent burial right away. Jero asks to talk to the doctor as soon as possible. Matilde tells Jero how much she loved having Rafa for a boss and leaves him to grieve on his own. Jero crumbles.

Roberta is still clutching her pillow and sobbing over Rafael. Fina waltzes into the room and notices Rob's luggage sitting in the corner. Roberta tells Mommie Dearest that she had plans to run away with Rafa the night before but he stood her up. Fina jumps at the opportunity to make Rafa look like the bad guy. "He stood you up because he knew I was going to disinherit (desheredar) you if you married him! He only wanted you for the money and the status." Roberta sobs because she doesn't want to believe it. Fina comforts Rob and tells her that in time she will realize that Rafa was only playing her for a fool the whole time (burlarse = to mock, make fun).

Ines and Isidro drop by Regina's place. The three of them plus Doña Cata and Antonio are getting together to celebrate Gina and Tony's budding relationship. Tony gives Gina a bouquet of flowers and a kiss, which makes her uneasy. A little while later, Antonio claims he doesn't want to pressure Gina but would love to make her his wife. This makes Doña Cata and Ines happy but Gina leaves to check on the food without commenting on Tony's proposition.

Continuing their tour of the town, Matias buys a necklace and a new bracelet for Renata. They eat lunch and flirt with each other some more. They romp around a fountain and encounter a group of Mariachis. Matias dares her to sing with them, which she does with lots of enthusiasm. In the throws of post-singing excitement, Renata pulls Mat close and they kiss.

Roberta is wallowing in her PJs still, so now it's Selene's turn to try to get her to snap out of it. "What if something happened to him?" Rob wonders. "Tomorrow morning I am going to the hacienda to find out what's going on once and for all!"

Matias is bowled over by how strongly he feels for Renata. She pulls away to clear her head. "We're step-siblings! We live in the same house, we work together, we are so attached (apegado) to each other already..." Matias doesn't share her misgivings but he understands. They'll get to know each other a little better before rushing into anything serious.

Antonio tells the lunch-party about his plans to return to the world of taurino (bullfighting). (No doubt a reference to Guillermo Capetillo's own history as a bullfighter.) Ines can't stand that they hurt the animals, but Tony manages to convince her to come to one of his fights with the group.

Renata escapes into the bathroom to let her feelings out. "I dreamed of this moment for years and now that it's happened...I felt nothing when he kissed me." But she certainly felt something when Jero kissed her, since we're treated to a flashback of it. "Why won't you (Jero) get out of my head?! You mean nothing to me! But your kiss was...incredible." *Cue Enrique and Juan Luis*

A solemn Jero asks Mati how she knew that Rafa killed himself over a woman. She shows him the pinnacle letter from La Bonita. Jero gets increasingly worked up as he reads it aloud.

Jero (furiously): Who is this woman?! What is La Bonita's real name?!

Mati: Nobody knows! The boss never brought her here. They talked a lot on the phone and we only just found out about their wedding.

Jero: I need to find out (averiguar) everything about this woman!

Mati: We don't know! Just that the last time Rafa talked to her, they were fighting. But then Rafa told the Padre that he wanted to get married here next Sunday. La Bonita is from the capital, Rafa was supposed to go pick her up last night but must have gotten the letter just before he was going to leave.

Once Jero sends Mati away, he cries as he holds a family portrait from when he and Rafa were kids.

Renata and Matias stumble home and are greeted by Gonzo and Fina. Ren asks if she got any messages and Fina pointedly says that Rafa never called to explain why he stood her up. Gonzo pulls her aside to question her relationship with Rafa yet again and warns her about spending time with guys who are so undependable and dishonest. Poor Rafa. He's barely even cold yet and it seems like everyone wants to make him the bad guy.

Dr. Nesme meets Jero and laments Jero's loss. Rafa was like a son for Dr. Drunk. Jero want to know all the details about Rafa's death. Doctor paints himself as Rafa's best buddy and explains that Rafa's novia spurned him and he killed himself over it. Jero pops his top. "My brother was much more valuable than the life of any woman!" Doctor agrees but Rafa obviously didn't feel that way. "I feel guilty that I couldn't have done more. I did what I thought was best by burying Rafa quickly. To save him the embarrassment of an autopsy and the humiliation of town gossip about his death." Doctor says.

"He was so young and full of life." Jero grieves. "He didn't deserve to go out that way."

After the commercial, Fina sets in on Renata for flirting with Matias. "I wasn't born yesterday! (No nací ayer!) I saw how enthusiastic you were to have Matias out with you. What's your angle? Are you trying to lure him like so many others?" Renata denies wrongdoing and precariously asks, "What if I were interested in Matias?"

Fina cackles. "Gonzo's money isn't enough for you, huh? You have to seduce his son to secure your future." Of course not! Renata doesn't care about social position and if she got married it would be for love. "Be careful, Renata." Fina warns. "Mat is Gonzo's pride and joy. If you toy with him like you do with other men, Gonzo will have to choose between his son and you. If that happens, I assure you he will pick Mat. Do not risk the stability of the family."

Meanwhile, a decidedly happier conversation on the same subject is happening downstairs between Gonzo and Mat. Gonzo thinks there's something special between Mat and Ren. Mat admits it's true. "I am fascinated by her. It is so easy to fall in love with her. Renata has all the qualities I looked for in a woman." Gonzalo is overjoyed. Matias and Renata are the two people he loves most in the world, he wants to see them happy.

Jero tells Matilde that he plans to visit Rafa's grave with Padre Severino the next morning. He wanders alone in the dark hacienda with the letter in his hand. Finally arriving at Rafael's room, he asks Rafa to forgive him not knowing how desperate he (Rafa) was. "I'm sorry I didn't protect you like I promised Mamá that I would." (The song in the background is beautiful. I think it's Cuando Un Amigo Se Va, but I don't know the singer...)

Dr. Nesme gives Agustin a debriefing on Jeronimo. He didn't seem at all interested in an autopsy or the money or the crops. But he is a business man, so they'll have to tread lightly for a while. Agustin is going to make sure no one "interferes with his plans". All of them nefarious, no doubt.

At Empresas Monterrubio, Adriana squeals when she finds out that Matias kissed Renata. She tells Ren not to worry what Fina says about Mat, what matters most is Ren's happiness.

Roberta narrowly makes it out the door but makes the mistake of telling Fina that she's going to the hacienda. Fina stalls Roberta and tells her to wait a couple days. Conveniently, a letter arrives from Rafael! Fina feigns surprise as Roberta rips it open happily.

Jero kneels at Rafael's grave.

Jero: Hermano, in front of your grave, I swear I will find that woman who rejected and toyed with you. I swear that woman will suffer for what she provoked you to do. I swear to avenge your death through her.

Avances: Jeronimo finds a picture of Renata and Roberta in Rafael's stuff. "Adriana?!" He says confusedly. Let's hope for fewer tears on Monday.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks so much, Floresdeazul, for the excellent and speedy recap. I too was struck by how much repetition there was at the start. There has always been more than I want, but today's episode seemed really padded.

I really appreciate your including some Spanish and a good deal of detail. I realize how much I missed. Even though I knew that Antonio and the others were talking about bullfights, I didn't realize that Antonio had ever been a bullfighter, let alone that he was planning to return to the ring. Somehow, I can't picture him there.

And what's up with the letter from Rafael? If he was planning to meet Roberta the night before, why would he have sent her a letter? You say Fina feigns surprise--did she send it? I assumed that Roberta recognized Rafael's handwriting.

Like you, I'm hoping for fewer tears on Monday, but I'm not optimistic on that score. Oh well, enjoy the weekend.
 

Hola, Juanita. Rafael's letter is suspect to me because Fina didn't seem worried by it. She was freaked that Roberta wanted to go to the hacienda but looked pretty calm about the mystery letter. I have a feeling Fina wrote it similar to the one she gave Rafa. But it's just a hunch.

-Amy
 

Your great recap made my day. Got up early and there it was. Thanks.

Seems someone has been quite busy with a letter/suicide writing campaign. Did Fina write all 3?, two letters and the suicide note? I'm confused. The only person seen writing anything was Augustin. Fina asked for paper and pen at the airport. Roberta receives a letter but I get the impression it was alluded to that Rafael received a letter from Roberta. Help.

The Mariachi Karaoke scene was a bit over the top for me.

The character that plays Gonzo would be excellent for the old black and white vampire movies. I expect him to reach over and bite Mathias during one of those million man hugs.

A in Baraboo
 

That letter was written by Fina at the airport. Remember when she asked for pencil and paper and found the post office at the airport and mailed it?

Very clever. Who knows how she knew to disguise the handwriting.

Audrey
 

We have to assume Roberta's supposed rejection letter was brought by Fina when she visited Rafael. I also assume she authored that one. I missed the actual murder scene, so I don't know if Fina showed it to Rafael, or just left it at the scene. I assume it was her pretext to visit Rafa?

You wonder if either had ever seen the other's handwriting to so easily be duped by fake letters.

Audrey
 

Flores, Great recap as always. I love the song the Mariachis and Renata were sining. I thought the scene was fun.
 

Thanks for another great recap, floresdeazul. I think that it bears saying once more that it's so good to have you back.

I think in one of the earlier episodes there may have been a scene of Pepafina practicing her forgery skills.

I'm still having my problems with Jerry:

"My brother was much more valuable than the life of any woman!"

Oh really, Jerry?

I enjoyed Renata and the Mariachis. Too bad she doesn't feel the spark but Matias does. Here's a fun version of Volver Volver with Vicente and Alejandro Fernandez. I'm a sucker for Ranchera.

So far this TN is lots of fun but a great deal just doesn't make a lot of sense... to me at least.

Why was Roberta so set on marrying Rafael if she really didn't care all that much for him? Why was Fina so dead set against them getting together? He seemed pretty substantial to me.

Augie seems shady, but I have yet to see a single thing out of line with his business proposals.

And worst of all, why aren't we seeing more of Alfonsina?

Carlos
 

Thank you so much Floresdeazul! What an nicely flowing cap from another emotionally difficult episode. Oh, Juan Soler is so skilled! What a heart-rending portrayal of shock, grief and growing rage over what has happened to his brother. So he's going to avenge his brother's death through the woman he thinks is bonita: Adrianna/Renata. This whole thing should be quickly cleared up but then, if it were it wouldn't be a novela I guess. I must steel myself for the upcoming frustration. I was thinking about this show and I think I like the more mature cast. . .hmmm. . .and I LOVE the opening song! Thanks again Floresdeazul for a wonderful cap!

Khalilah
 

About the letter. While Fina was penning it in the airport there was a flashback of her practicing forgery skills. Then she mailed it from the Tijuana airport just when she discovered the blood on her shirt. Fina was the one who brought the rejection letter to Rafa. He didn't believe it, crumpled it & threw it away. That's when Fina "proved" to him that the letter was "genuine" by playing the tape of Roberta & friend wherein Roberta admitted playing Rafa and using him to escape her family's clutches. -- Interesting that the fake rejection letter to Rafa didn't have Roberta's name in it. I guess even then Fina was trying to keep the tie to Roberta away from any accidental discovery. So still no one but Fina, Roberta and the now defunct Rafa ever knew about Roberta.
 

Carlos - I think it's simply a super controlling mother wanting her daughter to seriously marry up, and wanting to pick the husband as well. I'm sure Fina knows that she won't be able to control Rafa, besides, he probably isn't rich enough anyway. But she definitely never wants Roberta out from under her thumb.

And like Güera mentioned, Roberta was seeing Rafa more as a way to escape her mother's clutches. She didn't seem super thrilled when she accepted the ring. And her mother was able to make her doubt her acceptance with her threats of disinheritance. Roberta is not willing to give up luxuries for marriage. She is motivated by fear and desperation at the moment.

Audrey
 

The real mystery is why Rafael would ever fall for Roberta in the first place!

Audrey
 

This is my first telenovela and I'm hooked. Thank you so much for these recaps. You are all so witty. I look forward to a good laugh with my morning coffee.
 

Gracias, Floresdeazul. I did miss a few details in this one.

Fina probably forged more than the handwritings of Roberta and Rafael. I wonder if she will become a serial killer like Carloca of ENDA. She seems almost as controlling.

Juanita: The actor who plays Antonio is also a matador off-camera, as are other males in his family. His half-brother is Eduardo Capetillo, who didn't go into "the family business."

A in Baraboo: Rene Casados is my choice for the role of Nicolas Blair if Televisa ever redoes Dark Shadows.

I also thought that Jeronimo's comment was over the top. If this were a US program I would also call it suspect.
 

Floresdeazul,thank you so much for the detailed recap.

I would like to know more about Rafa and Jero's family. We know the vinyard belongs to their family and that they mother died when they were young. Where is their father?

Agustine reminds me of Rosendo from STuD. He has his own little business going when the owners show up!

Rosemary
 

Yes Fina wrote two letters, one before she went to the hacienda (supposedly from Roberta to Rafa, this one she would know what the handrwiting should look like, since she would have a lot of handrwitten stuff from Roberta around the house)... and the other at the airport restaurant, the one Roberta apparently just received.
By the way, the letter received by Rafa just stated that Roberta was never truly in love with him and that she did not see herself living at the hacienda... and for Rafa to just forget her...

Regarding Guillermo Capetillo (Antonio) yes indeed he used to be a bullfighter and he was also a long time ago the 'long lost son' of Veronica Castro in her version of Maria la del Barrio called Los ricos tambien lloran... the young girl was played by Edith Gonzalez in that version.
 

The letter from 'la bonita' was very mild in comparison to the same letter in the 98 version of La Mentira, actually written by the young villainess Virginia. Her letter stated not only that she never loved him (Ricardo) but also that she had been pregnant by him and aborted the baby (there was a big mess in the 98 version about this since when Virg went to have the abortion she gave the name of Veronica (Renata)... and also that she had 'lost' a considerable amount of money that Ricardo(Rafa) had lent to her.
so as you can see they are changing quite a bit from the 98 TN... and the 98 ver follows the book much more closely at least so far.
I have the original book split up in files if anyone is interested in me sending it to them. IT was digitalized by some forum friends known as BKLVRS and I just organized it in order.
 

Thanks, Urban and Marta, for the information about Antonio being a real bull-fighter. Maybe it's his awful hair that threw me off :-).

Thanks, Audrey, for your good point about the possibility that neither Rafa nor Roberta had had much chance to see each other's handwriting and therefore wouldn't be able to recognize a forged letter. You've spared me from having to tighten my telenovela beanie even further. At least for now.
 

Terrific recap Amy! Sorry for the late comment but I have been offline since Friday afternoon and haven't had a chance to watch the episode and read your recap until just now. I truly appreciate the details, especially of the conversations. It's such a luxury to be able to relax with a fruity rum drink and your superb recap after a long weekend.

What a sad episode, I finally felt some sympathy for Jero although I imagine that will change from episode to episode.

Ugly Crier Alert! Roberta is a prime candidate for Chris Ferro's ugly crier award. In fact, I can't think of an uglier one off the top of my hand. Congratulations Roberta.

Amy, the beautiful song you wondered about is called Sevillanas del Adios (lyrics are "Cuando un amigo se va") and the group is Elan. I looked it up when I first heard it last Thursday because I really liked it. The song, or at least Elan's version, kind of reminds me of Portuguese Fado.

Poor Matt, Adriana is right under your nose.

Thanks again Amy for the super recap and thanks everyone else for the letter explanations.
 

Thanks for the recap! I'm trying to follow this story but sometimes I half-watch it as it airs. Great recap which filled in the gaps and the stuff I missed.
 

thanks Sylvia for the song info... I really loved it too.
Juanita, ITA on the hair on Antonio... he has to go back to his stylist to get another hair piece or get his money back. Between the one he wore here and the one on the other novela (MEPS?) he must be blind when chosing a hair piece for his characters.
 

Floresdeazul: Thanks for a great recap. You got everything in there that really mattered to me. Sometimes it all goes so quickly I can't even catch up with the CC and don't have time to rewatch it, so I appreciate your attention to detail.

I am definitely on the Jerry's a Jerk team, altho' he's got nice hair, and I'm sucker for a strawberry blond kind o' guy.
*/: > ))
 

Guillermo Capetillo is not wearing a hair piece, that's his real hair. What he might need is to change his style. Besides being an actor and a bullfighter he was also a singer.

Jarocha
 

Jarocha: I've never seen him sing, but I will say that Eddie is a really decent singer and performer. I always enjoy his performances in these telenovelas, though I don't see him as a romantic lead.
 

So, they're a singing,acting, bull-fighting family. Cool! Eddie may not have become a professional bullfighter, but he sure looked like he knew what he was doing when he got into that ring with the bull in STUD.

I thought I would finally get to see CME tonight, but Osama Bin Laden coverage has taken over all channels, including Uni.
 

The Capetillos certainly are a talented family.

I wonder if CME will be preempted on the West Coast? My Tivo shows that the telenovelas will air as scheduled but I guess it will remain to be seen.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder