Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Alborada, 5/31/11. Cap. 1.

Alborada, Capitulo 1.

Read Melinama's original recap at this link, then come back here to discuss it. I think the first recap covers two episodes, but I'm not sure.

If you don't have access to Telefutura, you can see Cap 1 on YouTube. It starts at this link, and there are four clips for Cap 1.

The original initial recap covers at least five episodes, probably more. The following occurred in Cap 1.

  • Luis is arrested. The orders came from someone important in Mexico.
  • Antonio’s situation is revealed - his relationship with his mother and his wife.
  • Evil suegra makes a deal with Luis, and he is thrown into Hipólita's bedroom.
  • Hipólita requests a marriage annulment from the priest.
  • Evil suegra nabs the marked sheets before Hipólita's maid gets to them.

    Labels:


  • Comments:
    Hi Paula, this is fun! Alborada won't be on for another 3.5 hours here and I can't wait! Thank you for posting this for discussion, you're a dear.
     

    Paula, you are so generous to start ths off. I have now only 90 minutes to blast off. Hurray for Caray Caray
     

    Just finished watching tonight's debut. I remembered the basics but forgot how downright icky this first episode really was. Yikes!
    That kiss on the neck before leaving... Mr. Inappropriate? (Sorry... that's the other TN)

    The CCs are quite good, but I checked... no English CCs... too bad... sorry.

    I'm looking forward to seeing others' reactions to this first episode.

    Carlos
     

    Thanks, Paula, for making this happen.

    I bought the abridged version of Alborada (4 double-sided DVDs) 4 or 5 years ago. Watching episode 1 tonight, I was surprised at how well the condensed version had captured what was most important.

    I don't remember whether there was much sword-fighting in the abridged version, but watching episode one tonight I was struck by how amateurish the sword-fighting seemed.

    Another thing that struck me tonight was how young Lucero looked. I mean, the telenovela was filmed only 5 or 6 years ago, but she looked a good 15 years younger than she did in, say, Mañana es para siempre.

    The only other thing that stood out for me was the theme song. I had forgotten that it was performed by Placido Domingo. For me, that by itself is almost reason enough to watch!
     

    Wow, that was 2005. I would write my recaps differently now (after all the practice I had in the intervening years) but I guess they'll have to stand for themselves.
     

    I watched parts of this novela before, but forgot a lot of the smaller details as well. It got off and running.

    Juanita, I also thought the sword fighting looked amateur; the fight scenes actually made me chuckle a little. Seeing it again though, I'm struck by the same sense of revulsion I had to Lucero's mother in law. Me da asco. Not to mention her husband, who annoyed me from the start.

    The costumes are kind of cheesy, but still pretty awesome. My Colunga appreciation meter is also going up a notch. Somehow, during Soy Tu Duena, I was too busy shaking my head to ogle him. Plus, last time I watched this, I didn't appreciate him as much. I'm pretty young and grew up on my grandma watching novelas, so I've seen my fair share, but I think somehow these last six years have refined my taste in men, :).

    Anyway, thanks Paula, I'm excited to see the rest and get involved in discussion before the last couple of weeks, lol.

    Alexis
     

    Jajajaja Paula! Reminders of our beloved LFMB. When I saw your "read original and come back here to discuss" and the link added.....Ahhhhh, the good old days of LFMB! How I miss it.

    I will give Alborada a try. Haven't watch the first cap yet. I will be back.....

    Diann
     

    Wow, I wish every telenovela started off with a...oops, poor choice of words. Ahem, I wish every telenovela started off with the action that this one did.

    Nope, I didn't think the kiss was creepy. To Luis Manrique's credit he admitted to Hipolita that he was not her husband. It certainly would have been easier for him to keep quiet. Mom-in-law however is just as creepy as the first time around.

    Something I missed originally was Hipolita's sense of horror to discover, in her words, that her "husband is a pervert and her suegra is a demon". And that goth old castle, yikes. Poor kid.

    So the set-up is pretty dramatic. Someone has put a hit on Luis Manrique. Hipolita's husband seems to not like the ladies. Hipolita is illegitimate but a good girl. Her suegra however is a demon and a racist to boot. She made lots of cracks about dirty indians and mexicans. Not a nice woman. No wonder Antonio has issues.
     

    Oh, but the rose bud that magically turned into a bloom while the deed was done...that was pretty hokey.
     

    Ay caray, Sylvia, shame on you!!!

    It's interesting that, as wicked as Demon Suegra is, they don't make her look like Cruella DeVille (ref. Diana Bracho, the evil mother in FELS). Nice that they didn't clobber us over the head with that one.

    About the sword fighting. The camera work was so spastic, it almost gave me a headache to watch. But I suspect it's done that way so you can't get a good view of just how bad the sword fighting is. Luis's buddy was supposed to be proficient enough to dispatch several nogoodniks, but he couldn't even manage to get his sword back into its scabbard!

    There were a few images that I thought were well handled.
    1. Suegra's room is a place of fire - the fireplace, and candles everywhere. A demon reference, I'm sure.
    2. Hipolita's room is a place of stone it seems to be the main decorating motif.
    3. Luis binds / secures Hipolita with the sheets of their "marriage bed."
     

    When LM first snuck into Hipolita's room I thought it was some sort of roadhouse or inn, all those tables and stone and everything. It was very un-bedroomy. Ooooh, I didn't catch the bit about him tying her up with the bedsheets. In fact many characters were discussing sheets ad nauseum.

    The fire could signify something demonic which it seems to in this first episode, but maybe it also signifies power. And like fire, power can be snuffed. I think that fire will be a recurring symbol. It will be interesting to see how it's used and what we think it is supposed to mean.
     

    Well, if this episode doesn't hold your attention, nothing will. What a unique way to start a novela with the leads getting together even though they don't know each other. However, L M did ask Hipo her name. I liked L M in his blousy shirt looking fine with the long hair. Think I'll have to continue watching.

    GinCA
     

    Ah my wicked little Sylvia. Of course you can say the first episode started off with a bang! No other way to express it.

    I too was amazed at how young and tender Lucero looked. Her face had the soft roundness of a very young woman in her teens. And I thought her youthful ardor and joyous acceptance of her presumed husband was very poignant.

    There's a sad lyric in El Amor Acaba that laments "las cintas blancas" becoming "cadenas". But in this case those bonds of wedding bedding will keep these two bound to each other in a good way....forever, methinks.

    Thanks again Paula and Melinama for this virtual family room where we can all watch and comment together. Love you all!
     

    Just read Melinama's recap...it actually covers 8 episodes I think. And having the DVD, I must confess I look ahead. They end each capitulo on such a cliffhanger that before you know it, you're watching the next one. (in the meantime the weeds keep growing and the dust keeps accumulating...help!)
     

    Thank you Paula for posting this.
    Wow. An action-packed, swash-buckling story, how yummy. Looking forward to more.
     

    Paula- Thanks so much for posting this. I loved the first episode! This is only the second Carla Estrada novela I have seen, the other being Sortilegio. So my mind immediately made comparisons. Both novelas started off with a bang, and specifically with an attempt on the galan's life and him barely escaping, and with a huge deception of the heroine (in Sorti it was the wedding to the villain using a false name).

    Poor Hipolita. I did like that she took charge of trying to end her marriage once she found out her husband was not inclined to the ladies. I also think it took some cojones to lie to a priest in church and affirm to him that she's still a virgin. Too bad for her that the sheets will give her away (surely, suegra will parade the proof of deflowering around), and Luis' boys are fast and strong swimmers.
     

    I forgot how it all happened at night—I found the screen hard to see. Mos' def, not hi-def; the first episode, at least. But it won't be long before Carla takes us out from under cover of darkness and into some beautiful bright scenery. Yes, this particular swordfight was pretty clumsy. I seem to remember an improvement as time goes on.

    And I didn't think Luis was inappropriate at all. I mean, the whole premise was bizarre, even for the characters. I think he just gave in to human nature (without which, we would have no plot).
     

    One bit of symbolism I noticed: When Hiploita's husband (can't remember the names right now) confronts his mother after his ride to let off steam (or to go see his lover or cry in the woods), he points his riding crop/whip at her, and it is limp and pathetic looking. She constantly has hers in hand and uses it regularly to point at people and threaten them. But she always holds it from the base of the handle and points the handle at people-- the hard, firm end...
     

    Let me get this straight, Luis has just raped (by definition) Hipolita, asks her her name after the fact, tells her that he'll see her again, then has the audacity to kiss her gently on the shoulder... and this is not inappropriate behavior? Double yikes!

    Luis (Fernando Colunga) is already working his magic. I think I had a similar conversation with my profa about this first time around.

    Oh well... it was all for a good cause... saving his own butt... and the premise for the whole show.

    Carlos
     

    I am quietly sneaking in here to comment while my daughter is at zumba class. W.O.W. First, let me thank Paula for providing us with this opportunity to relive the wonder that is Alborada. Second, this first episode brings to mind my very favorite telenovela moniker invented by our beloved founder Melinama...''The Mystery Boinker of Santa Rita. Sylvia, slide on over girl so that I can sit right next to you. I even liked the blooming rosebud. Symbolism. Carlos, what can I say. Our Noble Hero had a weak moment. Who knows how long he's been at sea ??? Hip was just too sweet and lovely to resist. And I am a fool for neck kisses. As for the sword fighting...those of us who were fans of Highlander:the TVSeries know what superb sword fights look like. [Adrian Paul's sword master has said what a great student Adrian was.] TBLMOE seems a little nervous about getting poked in the face by the sword, and I would be, too. I'm sure that he didn't get all the training that Adrian had. Well, I'm so happy to have a chance to relive and discuss my favorite novela and gaze at the booted, bearded, swordwearing, neckkissing . horseriding Luis again. Good times. Now, I must proofread my son-in-law's theology paper.
     

    Gee, you guys notice everything. Vivi~~I missed that bit of symbolism ! Paula~~Great points about the fire and the stone. P.s. I loved Luis abnd Felipe on the ship...I'll bet Sylvia appreciated that scene on the open sea , too.
     

    Hi Susanlynn, why am I not surprised by your assessment?

    Carlos
     

    Anonymous 10:01 was me. Sorry...Susanlynn
     

    HaHa, Carlos. You knew that Anonymous was me !!! I guess you have my number. Luis , to me, is the ultimate hero. He's right up there with Duncan Mccleod in my book. I think that's what attracted me to this novela as I surfed into it. It reminded me of those episodes of Highlander in which Duncan flashbacks to early times. Luis always seemed noble . Unlike Manuel in Amor Real who really tested my patience when he took up with that nasty housekeeper of his.
     

    Ha, Susanlynn, I recognized you immediately. Then when you reminded us of The Mystery Boinker of Santa Rita, well that confirmed it. You know I always enjoy the scenes on the open ocean, especially when someone like Carla Estrada really tries to be accurate.

    Our Luis Manrique is a bit of a horn dog, no doubt about it. He was planning to escape sans boink but once his gaze lingered on the lovely Hipolita, including her dainty tootsies (does our galan have a foot fetish?) he decided to change his plans and, as Melinama so succintly put it, "delaying escape a few more minutes won't matter".
     

    Wonderful comments. I also thought everything was a bit dark--but maybe it was meant to be that way.

    One little change--LM tied Hip up with the drapery from around the poster bed, a thin filmy material, I guess meant to be to protect from mosquitos.

    It would have taken too much time to pull off the sheet--and besides, La Suegra demonica wanted to see the sheets the next morning--she almost missed that satisfying event.

    If Hip had really wanted to get loose, she could have. I had NO problem with the kiss on the neck. It was almost a disculpa-like kiss, showing Luis' tenderness.

    This was not a rape, while it was taking place. Sure Hip was deceived, but it was consensual (and boy was it sensual). It was a violation of all the strict morals of the day.

    Do we ever learn whether Antonio is really effeminado? He is really upset whenever his mother brought it up, claiming that it was a long time ago. So--1) he is a closet homosexual; 2) he really had an accident falling off a horse and possibly rupturing something down there; 3) he got an enfermedad.

    Carlos--do you know of any illness that would prevent, even temporarily, an erection? We know the poor man has just returned from Mexico seeking treatment with the hopes that he will regain his ability soon--just not that night.

    Dona Nube (aka NOK)
     

    Thank you, everyone, for chiming in. What a delight to log on this morning and see 26 comments piled up! When I considered hosting a rerun board, I wondered whether there would be enough interest to make it worthwhile. I have my answer!

    Diann, I'm busted! Yes, I copied the "come back here to discuss it" line from the Fea summaries.

    Since this is a rerun board, you veterans will probably notice symbolism and themes that you missed the first time around. Your brain looks a little more closely on the second pass.

    I don't know if this show used many foreshadows, but if it did, you'll catch things that went over your head previously. During the Fea rerun, those foreshadows were a great delight, but also a great frustration because I couldn't point them out - they'd be spoilers to the newbies. I still loved spotting them. One episode had more than 40 foreshadows!
     

    Oops! I forgot to mention. I've chosen my Alborada moniker.
     

    I love your moniker!

    I definitely noticed tons of foreshadowing in this first episode. It made me realize how much more complex some of the characters are than I had previously thought, or had only realized much later on in the tale the first time around. Also, since I didn't speak any Spanish at all when I originally watched so that probably has a lot to do with it as well.
     

    Wow, this show started out great, didn't it? I really enjoyed it.

    I have a confession to make: I prefer Fernando Colunga as he is in "Soy tu Duena." Maybe because that's the first show I saw him in. But I have a feeling that Luis's long hair and facial hair will eventually grow on me.

    I don't know what to think of Antonio. I was actually buying that he had some infirmity because he seemed to really want to consummate his marriage. Though I guess if he was in the closet in that day and age he probably would really want to, for social reasons (and because mom was nagging, nagging, nagging him so). But of course the first thing that crossed my mind when reading the recap was that he just wasn't into girls.

    (Also I couldn't help but be amused and feel sorry for Antonio. Talk about performance anxiety! His MOM is constantly on his case about it. What son wants to get nagged by his MOM about such a thing?)

    I was also surprised at Hip having the guts to claim that she was a virgin when she wasn't. But cudos to her for being proactive if her husband was never destined to be a real husband. It's going to be interesting to see how this all works itself out!
     

    Paula and Sylvia, I just finished reading all the comments following Melinama's recap. I took the liberty of lifting an anonymous quote from one of them:

    "I love your comments so much I don't possibly think I can watch another novella with out them, I think I would enjoy a really bad one if I could read your comments."

    A foreshadowing?

    Carlos
     

    Oh, and Doña Nube, there are lots of diseases... acute and chronic.... real and imagined... that cause erectile dysfunction {ED as it's fondly referred to). So far, it looks like for Tony, it's a matter of preference. Don't forget, the neighbors were already talking even before he got married.

    Carlos
     

    Well, we are off to a great start. I wasn't able to watch the first episode because I am not at home, so can someone tell me where this episode ened? I don't want to let any gatos out of any bagos. I'm so excited to be reunited with so many of my olddd amigas/amigo. Let's ride !!!
     

    Poor Antonio. The actor who plays Antonio is a very funny guy. He was hilarious on the blooper part of the Alborada dvd. Captain Sylvia~~~I hope that Luis does have a foot fetish...then, I could have a chance. My feet have always been and still are my best feature..size 5 narrow...the only body part that still looks the same as when I was sweet sixteen. I own a million flipflops and many bottles of nailpolish . ~~~Dona Donna, wearing her flipflops as we speak
     

    Yes Doña Dona. Hipolita asked the priest for an annulment. They got back to the house and discovered that Suegra Demonia had already taken the bedsheets.

    And BTW, if you want to write "Doña," it's easy if you have a Windows-based machine. To type the ñ, hold down the Alt key, and using the 10-key pad (NOT the number keys above the QWERTY line), type 164 . Release the Alt key, and you'll have an ñ.
     

    Oh how fun this is like a family reunion (on the side of the family that you actually like). I never saw the very first episode so was amazed and amused when it contained so many "explosions" so to speak. Inspite of the silly sword fight, I thought they made the first episode deeply nuanced and utterly delightful. I hope I look younger just watching the way we/they were. I think I will recall my lovely memories of meeting Mariana Karr and getting to be the one to tell her about all of us in Mexico City at her restaurant Caray Caray that she opened with Maria Zarattini who was the screen writer for Alborada and other fine works. When I called her the following year while I was in DF, she had moved out of the Plaza del Carmen location and I have been since going to Oaxaca so have not talked to her in two years.
     

    Hola Amigos, from Yorktown, VA where today marks the beginning of Hurricane Season. Time to ops check the chain saw and lay in some mass quantities of bottled water. In addition to checking out this particular TN since it's already too hot to do much outside after 9 am, plus the recommendations from y'all are irresistible!

    Paula, O Duchess, thanks for finding the YouTube link as we only get Univision here.
     

    Hey, where's our old friend Margarita Chilaquiles? Wasn't (isn't) she into theatrical fighting to include swords? She could give some good insight into the sword fight scenes.
     

    Carols~~~Me thinks that just being compared to Luis could just create more problemos for poor Antonio in the ED department.
     

    Hi, Mike~~~How are you and Emilia doing ?
     

    Hi, Cheryl~~~It will be so nice ''talking'' to you again. How have you been doing ?
     

    Hi Mike. I'm glad that you are joining us for this.

    We're having a hurricane awareness day here in Houston one day this week. Actually, we really could use a realistic drill with... say, a minimal tropical storm with lots of rain.

    Susanlynn, I wonder if poor old Tony ever even gave it the old college try? Now... well heck... talk about performance anxiety...

    Carlos
     

    Y más, Doña Donna DDDD, I think we all knew it was you, Susanlynn! Your wonderful powers of description and your obvious enjoyment of the proceedings are legendary. Another reason to look forward to this sweet summer rerun.
     

    I'm not sure if Tony gave it the old college try with any other mujer, but it appears that he definitely hasn't given it the old college try with Hip. Que lastima because now I think that he has A LOT to live up to with the blooming rose, neck kissing, and all.
     

    Hi, Cheryl~~What are your plans for the summer ? How is Willa doing ? ~~~~Susanlynn, being called to dinner
     

    Willa is magnificent, DDSusanlynn. However this week she is recovering from a tooth extraction so a bit subdued from her usual exuberant queenly self. My new news is getting accepted into my first art gallery. If you care to look I am on the following website now:
    http://thewatermelongallery.com
     

    Mike, I'm in Richmond, VA and we sure could use some of the lighter side of a hurrican with some rain. Temperatures yesterday and today near 100, which is usually what we look for late July and August. I don't get Telefutura either so I go online to check things out. So hang in there with me Mike and we might must make heads or tails of this show through YouTube and CarayCaray.

    By the way, the premise for this show is no more lamer than some of the others. I mean how much longer can TDA drag on and look how long it took for Llena De Amor to wrap up. At least this one does it all in 90 episodes. One of the reasons I like Sortilegio so much was because it was ooncise.
     

    I am so glad this series is finally being shown again. The opening is like a Kathleen Woodiwiss novel and our pair of lovers are marvelous.

    "Suegra Demonia" -- I love it. Particularly since this novela has too many "A" names. It fits her perfectly.

    Antonio's relationship with his mother reminded me of a scene from a play one of my university classmates directed. There is a Sigmund Freud double with a notepad and a male patient on the couch who repeats the following several times:

    Blah blah blah blah blah blah penis. Blah blah blah blah blah blah mother. Blah blah blah blah blah blah money!

    Freud would love this series.
     

    Post a Comment



    << Home

    Newer›  ‹Older

    © Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

    Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder