Saturday, July 23, 2011

La Pola - July18-22, 2011 - Some Things Never Change

It seems that Nariño’s possessions were auctioned off for less than they were worth. The junta’s advisors tell them to pay what he is asking. If we don’t give him his money, where do you think he will go? Jorge continues his campaign to destroy and discredit Nariño. He reminds his friends that resources are scarce. Nariño, they fear, will be back like a crazy wolf.

Pola looks very pretty in a green dress. Gertrudis and Cata have been styling her hair and applying rice power to her skin to make her look less mestiza. Do you know how to eat with flatware (cubiertos), asks Gertudis. Why are we doing this, asks Pola. It won’t matter to him (Francisco). Pola looks at herself in a mirror. Do I really look OK?

Carbonel tells Nariño that a girl from Guaduas called Pola helped them during the uprising. Nariño tells Carbonel he met her and that she is going to get married. Too bad, he says. Carbonel is happy that only 6 provinces are going to join the junta. They thought Popayan would join, but it appears that Gov. Tacón fooled them.

Nariño figures out why they sent Baraya away.
Taking the land away from the indigenous people is very cruel. The people think the 20th of July was a joke. Things haven’t improved. They have gotten worse. We are going to do it, says Nariño. Are we going to raise arms, asks Carbonel? We are not going to spill our brothers’ blood, replies Nariño.

Francisco is greeted by Cata as he enters Domingo’s hacienda. He barely acknowledges her. The first thing Alejo asks is where is the document? Francisco tells him he will get it when needed. He also asks how Domingo has done so well. Alejo tells him it was by working hard. Domingo laments the loss of three slaves in three days. But, he says, we are expecting a baby. Francisco slips in a comment that children are a blessing from God and must honor their parents according to the Fourth Commandment. Gertrudis asks him if he is going to authorize Alejo and Pola to marry. Yes, he lies. It is a difficult decision. There is a problem with the church when there is a mixture of the races, but he is always looking out for the best for his children.

Alejo tells Pola to come here. She trips and admits that this is the first time she has worn shoes with heels. She doesn’t understand why women of society want these things. Do you remember my father. You have already seen her, asks Alejo. Was it was very pleasant (grato). You were dressed another way, says Francisco.

Domingo invites his guests to go in for dinner and tells Francisco that Pola was involved in the revolt in Santa Fé. Against the king? Asks Francisco. Are you in favor of an American government? No. Are you against Spain. Pola: No.

Nariño appears before the junta again. He asks about Baraya and finds out he has been promoted to the rank of colonel. They sent him to Popayan. Nariño tells them that he should be getting an army together to fight against the European threat, both France and Spain. Camilo tells him that they don’t want to fight Spain. Why would Spain attack us, asks Don Jorge. Because we took control by force, replies Nariño. Your lives are in danger, he tells them. You are exaggerating is the reply.

The junta tells him they are protecting the country for Fernando VII. If you had everything under control, you would not have sent Baraya to Santa Marta and Popayan. This is a joke says Nariño. It is just to get the land away from the indigenous people. The junta thinks Nariño is creating conflicts.

Domingo makes a mess trying to eat with knife and fork. Pola asks Francisco if he knows how to eat with his hands. So, they all start to eat with their hands, much to Domingo’s relief. Where are you going to live, asks Francisco. In Honda, says Alejo, and he will leave the army. Francisco is very disappointed to hear this. You chose the army for me. Pola adds that everything he learned in the military will be very useful. To confront his own country, asks Francisco.

His uncles have offered him work, and he has to pay family debts (that Francisco owes). If you had paid more attention to me and not to your mother, we wouldn’t have these problems, replies Francisco. What problems. Me, says Pola. You are not the right wife for my son. The inevitable happens. Francisco recites his list of social classes with Indians, negros and mestizos at the bottom of the ladder. She is offended and dumps a plate on him. That damned woman never changes – nothing does, says Francisco. Neither do you, father, says Alejo

Don Jorge tells Nariño that he appreciates his concern but tells him to stay as far away as possible. When are you going to return my property? The value of your property is less than what you are asking. How am I going to survive with my family, asks Nariño. My family has asked me to collaborate with you. He will do whatever they offer. He is advised that the big positions are already filled. I need to eat, says Nariño.

Alejo gets to Pola who ran out of the house. Forgive me, she says, I should not have done that. It is me who should be asking your forgiveness. He will give you permission? What about the fourth commandment? We will never have to see him again. My father isn’t like yours, says Alejo. I love you, he says. You are making a big sacrifice. One thing, says Pola, when I marry you do I have to wear these shoes. We will have some made in your size, says Alejo.

The junta realizes that they have received a warning from Nariño. If we let him in here, he will do away with all of us. He is a friend that they prefer to keep at a distance. We should put him in a job without power. They conspire to keep him from being employed in the junta.

You should be the new president, says Tonito. Won’t the people support you, asks Magda. Are you giving up, says Mercedes. No, replies Nariño.

Pola goes to see Francisco. My, what else? She is ready to deliver her life to make his son the happiest man. If a father holds his child in esteem, he will not renege on a promise. Will you keep your promise? Francisco tells her it is impossible. What do I have to say. He is going to be sincere. You will not understand. The only thing you are going to get is the ruin of my son. He will renounce his beliefs. It is not just a change of opinion. It is a renunciation of his country, king and God. The king is God’s emissary. To renounce the king is to renounce God. And, the worst is that you are a mestiza and that is an offense to God. You come in sin.

Has he taken you to bed? It would solve the problem. He would get over his obsession.

You will have mixed children and be poor, and you will go against the king. This is the future of the man you love. But, it should be what he wants, says Pola. What if he had married María Ignacia. He got to the altar, says Francisco. Her father stopped it. Did he tell you that. If he had married her, says Pola, it would have been to help you.

He will not authorize a marriage with a woman who will only provide shame. Alejo should have the life that he deserves – not a life with someone like you filled with shame.

At the convent, the door opens to María Ignacia’s cell. Did Alejo arrive? You ask me the same question every day. No, replies the nun. When will he return. Please let me know so that I can fix myself up. I don’t want him to see me like this (dressed as a novitiate). I am going to marry him and never return to this horrible place. That is not entirely sure, says the nun.

Tonito tells his family that they have to fix up the hacienda. Aren’t they going to return your money? Nariño tells them that his family is the priority. They will work the farm. Without equipment? Yes. And, they still have to return the money they borrowed to get him back from Cartagena.

Pola tells Cata that she didn’t know that Alejo got as far as the altar with María Ignacia and that he agreed to accept her in God’s house. What is important, says Cata, is that they did not marry. I would have given my life for him, and I thought he would do the same. I don’t want to just be the person he loves. Cata says she thought the same about Juliano. Are you still thinking about him, asks Pola. He was married, says Pola. I forgot that.

People on the street in Santa Fé note that Nariño is back. The junta also notes his presence again. He asks Don Camilo if he has found anything for him. No, is the reply. I need to maintain my family. Why are you closing the doors. Don Jorge tells him that there is a law that prevents them from hiring someone who has been in prison. You know perfectly well why I was in prison. It is the law, says Camilo. It is the law of Spain, not ours. Until we have our own laws, it is the law. If I cannot serve my country here, I will find someplace else to serve.

Acacia tells Pola that Francisco is going to sell her. Why don’t you escape? She doesn’t know anybody here. She doesn’t know what she will do, but she recognizes that Pola has her own problems. But, yours are worse, says Pola.

The junta has released an edict and invites all people to the installation of the Congress of New Granada. Jorge asks Camilo if that wasn’t an exaggeration that five small provinces will decide the destiny of Nueva Granada.

Manuel Bernard Álvaro, Nariño’s uncle, will be president. Nariño asks him how they are going to have a Congress with only five provinces? The other provinces don’t want to be inferior to Santa Fé. They don’t think they will get equal representation. You have to find the way. He doesn’t know how to do this. Have you gotten work. No – I am an ex-prisoner. They cannot be that miserable, says his uncle.

Francisco calls Acacia to get ready to go to the market – get cleaned up and wash your teeth, he tells her. Pola has hidden from him and hears this. Finally, she asks Acacia if she is interested in staying there.

Pola asks Domingo about buying another slave to help Cata because she is going to Santa Fé. He reminds her that Cata didn’t get along with Nicolasa. That was different because she needs help now. Domingo is so happy to have this baby who will look just like him. Pola tries to let him down gently by suggesting that it might be a girl.

Pola is desolate. She flashes back to when she and Alejo were children. I am going to marry a woman of noble origin. Then we will never marry, says little Pola. What things you say, says Alejo. She remembers a similar conversation with him as a young adult. Then she remembers the painful conversation she had with Francisco.

She remembers her father telling her that it is impossible to be together until the day that we are no longer second class citizens. On that day it will be possible. When? Never.

Alejo tells her he has the papers ready for his father to sign. It is not necessary because I will not marry you. I am going to Santa Fé. Don’t say that, he says. It is not that I don’t want to, it is that I cannot. This life you offer me is your dream. My dream is different. In my dream we share everything. He offers her books and to do other things. I am not spending my life reading books, says Pola.

He doesn’t understand what has happened. As much as we want, we cannot avoid this damned reality. We are different. Together it will be a disgrace, and I don’t want to make you unhappy. You love me. I love you remember

Then, what do you want to do? I don’t want to stop being me for you. And I don’t want you to stop being you for me.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks Pasofino, very well done.

"Do I really look OK?"

Ummm... yeah. I'd say you do.

I suspect the time will come when the junta realizes that they would have been wise to give Nariño whatever he asked for.

As bad as it was, that breakfast went better than I expected.

Wouldn't we all, at this point, be happy to see Pola and Alejo settle in Hondo, have a passel of pretty mestizo kids, and live happily ever after?

Carlos
 

thannks, PasoFino! I was on vacation last week and my dvdr only hiccupped on one of the eps so I had a treat watching 5 eps straight... esp that scene after the dinner attempt where Pola tells Alejo that she does not want to wear those shoew ever again and he just laughs...
Loved how Narino kept saying what the junta was saying and planning was laughable matter(including attempting to make their 'junta' official with only the support of 5 small provinces, none of the more important provinces want anything to do with having Santa Fe lead them all... and having sent Baraya to Popayan to try to get them to turn against Gov Tacon and agree to join the group, he knows their real objective, to keep Baraya away so he won't join Narino and Carbonnel in their group), except the fact that they were taking the lands from the natives in order to make them so desperate that they would be willing to do a lot of hard labor for miserable pay... Narino is not about to take any crap from them and he made it very clear in his departing statement... if you won't even give me a job to help put food in my family's table, then I will find another way/place to help my family and my country... (and of course they won't like that alternative way/place one bit.. )
This novela gets better and better each time... now if someone would slap some sense into Alejo about that 'the king of spain being a rep of GOD' nonesense
 

Thanks so much, Pasofino. Nicely done. There are so many compelling narrative lines in this novela and I appreciate your help in keeping them all straight.

As much as I adore Alejo and La Pola and their alternatively heartbreaking, comic and sweet struggles to be together, I think I'm even more drawn to Antonio Nariño. My gosh, there's a hero! Brilliant, courageous, compassionate...

I know this novela takes a lot of liberties with personal biographies and from what I've read, it is particularly unfair to the real-life Domingo who was more the good guy than the brute he sometimes (although not always) seems to be in our story.

And Acacia! Years of standing patiently and attending to her bratty mistress's every whim and now she has to be grateful that it is Domingo who will be her amo and not someone unknown and most likely much more cruel.

I hope Juliano makes it to Palenque...
 

Oh and Carlos,

" Wouldn't we all, at this point, be happy to see Pola and Alejo settle in Hondo, have a passel of pretty mestizo kids, and live happily ever after?"

Thanks for the lovely image.

And Marta, I'm almost envious of you feasting on five of these delicious episodes at one sitting. (Burp. Excuse me.) :)
 

Carlos, Martaivett and NovelaMaven: Thanks for your comments. Yes, I, too, would like to see Alejo and Pola ride off into the sunset to Honda, start a family and a business and live happily ever after. You just have to look at the inroductory scenes to know that isn't going to happen.

I hope we have a few more moonlight scenes in our future. But, even that isn't certain.

I have been spending more time than I have on this program, and so beginning tomorrow I will post a really short discussion page. I'm not quite ready to write my swan song, but I think there are a hundred more chapters, and seems like a world without end.
 

Pasofino: thanks for your tirelessness.

I've been reading your posts, but have not had a chance to watch any show over the last 2weeks; summer fun's taken priority over tv.
 

Pasofino, don't throw the towel just yet. I can write weekly summaries, maybe we can split evenly, one week you and one week me... that way we will always have some recap even if brief... don't give up on us ... even though i know how tiring it can get when others are expecting your recaps, translations and summaries and you are just exhausted.
 

Carlos... you are not the only one that finds the Pola actress beautiful. my husband said even without makeup she is beautiful. and that along with the fact it is a historical novela, he doesn't mind watching along when I am watching my recordings.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

OMG!!! what an episode last night!!
Those letters!!
and Arcos cracked me up with his...
'she is REALLY alright!'' (when Alejo asked him if Pola was alright)
then him telling Pola ' you and Alejo are dying for each other... that diminishes my chances of ever having you'...you are the only woman I have met whom one would say 'HOLLY VIRGIN!! about...'
and 'i am a bad friend but not THAT bad...just would give anything for a kiss from you...' and 'my future wife! .. no i did not come to have a courtship visit... just came to bring you the response to your letter... you are welcome...'
and Antonio telling it like it is to Jorge Tadeo and bumping him down from his high horse... with words.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder