Saturday, July 30, 2011

La Pola - July 25-29, 2011 - Alejo Passes the Love Test

This week’s summary has to be brief since I did not have any time to do in depth written translations. And, I have also taken a new look at this series as follows. It is a fictionalized account of certain historical events that lead up to the formation of Colombia. The writers have taken literary license in putting words into the mouths of the characters and in creating the situations in which they supposedly said them. True history for these pages is above reproach. So I feel we must take what is ours to digest with a grain of salt. But, fiction is fair game.

The revolutionaries, as I have called them, debate amongst themselves the issues of what and how they will develop a constitution, run the state, generate funds, and most importantly who will become the first president.

Don Camilo Torres and Don Jorge Tadeo present themselves as the front-runners. They each campaign to win the votes of the members of the junta/council with promises of economic favors if they win. We know more about Don Jorge’s character through past events than we do about Don Camilo’s, but, it now appears that they are both unscrupulous and will stoop as low as they must to promote their own agendas.

Don Jorge Tadeo, pompous and self-centered, prepares the constitutional document. It is his baby and he wants it approved.

And, by the way, only the junta/council is going to be able to vote on anything. The people remain in circumstances even more desperate than they experienced during the reign of the viceroys. Their future is uncertain and daily lives are lead in fear.

The junta announces that they are seeking comments about the constitution before they approve it. Nariño shows up much to their disdain. He points out its weaknesses and makes suggestions for change. He is not in favor of the approach taken in the United States. He also points out to them that about 60% of their population is indigenous, mestizo, or black. The council, in particular Don Jorge, is offended by his remarks. He is invited to leave, and just about admits defeat to his family.

The junta keeps Carbonel in jail long enough to defuse any situation or opposition he could create among the citizens.

While all that is going on, Pola and Vivianito see that Alejo has been arrested – by bootlicking Iglesias of all people. Alejo is charged with desertion and later sentenced to six month in the brig. When Pola goes to the cuartel to find out about him, she is given the bum’s rush, but at that moment she finds out that Carbonel has been taken prisoner. Did I mention that Alejo had followed Pola to Santa Fé? Well, he did.
`
Anyway, she runs into Arcos by happenstance. They just happen to run into each other on the street by pure chance. The novella gods have helped her out.

She writes a letter to Alejo (which I wish I had time to translate). Arcos delivers it to her. It was a beautiful letter in which she concludes that if he is there he must love her and her cause and that their time to love will arrive.

The impact of the letter on Alejo is overwhelming. He writes an equally moving and beautiful letter to her pledging his loyalty to her and the cause. She shares her joy with Doña Matea.

In sum, Alejo and Pola are back together – even though he is in jail. They are united in spirit.

I almost forgot Guaduas. The Cata drama continues. She now has Acacia holding an umbrella over her head when she walks down the street. Through their conversation, we learn that Acacia might be pregnant. She hasn’t had a “visita” for a while. Cata calls her a degenerate negro. Anway, Cata will arrange for Acacia to see the midwife.

In Popayan, Francisco and María Teresa deliver the news to Ignacia that Alejo will not return. He is with the mestiza. She had gotten all dressed up for his visit and goes bonkers when she hears the news. Her wedding plans are once again foiled. She escapes over the wall of the convent and is later recovered by her cousin and Francisco who could care less about what happens to her. He just doesn’t want her to return to the manse with him.

After Francisco and María Teresa return to the manse, Governor Tacón pays them a visit. He considers Francisco to be his most trusted ally and friend and tells him that they are on the brink of war. He must be demented because he brings trunks full of his personal fortune for Francisco to safeguard for him. Francisco tries to open the trunks after the governor leaves and is caught in the act by María Teresa.

Alejo is released early because the army needs all soldiers to head to Popayan to fight. He is forced to declare his loyalty to the king by raising his hand along with the other soldiers at a pre-march-to-war rally called by the new colonel in charge. He manages to visit Pola the evening before his departure. They squeeze in one kiss before Doña Matea catches them and declares it a night. Too bad. They also share their political views which are beginning to converge, and Alejo of course doesn’t want to kill his own countrymen.

Pola is concerned about Alejo’s going to Popayan because she is afraid that Alejo will see María Ignacia. After all this, don’t you trust me, asks Alejo. I trust you, she says, but not her. (Pola used a descriptive word for María Ignacia that has just slipped my mind. If you know it, please share.) Alejo is looking for a free country where they can marry and where their love will not be forbidden. Pola thinks that will happen soon.

Ending: How many episodes will it take for Alejo and Pola to get down to business?

Labels:


Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

How could I forget this? Don Jorge Tadeo was elected president. The situation between him and Don Camilo Torres appears amicable. But, how long can that last when two ambitious, greedy and egotistical people are involved.
 

Pasofino, she called MI a garrapata (tick)... and i loved Alejo telling her that he wanted God to take his eyes out of his sockets if he looked at any other woman 'the wrong way'.
I never thought when I said this week '... now if someone would slap some sense into Alejo about that 'the king of spain being a rep of GOD' nonesense' that it would be what Francisco himself told Alejo that pushed him over the fence...
LOVED how she told him that she never thought he would be fighting his king, and he said he was not fighting against the king, but for the interests of America, the land he was born in... what a turnaround!

LOVE how Antonio Narino confronted Jorge Tadeo, saying i am not your enemy... so long as you work for the interests of the 'pueblo' I am most happy to support you, but if you don't I will have to do everything in my power to counter you....
Boy this novela is getting better and better... Pasofino, if you want a break this week or next, just let me know and I can take over the summary recapping for a week or two.
 

I wonder if when Narino told Jorge Tadeo that his enemy was 'another' he really ment Camilo Torres... I don't see Don Camilo as a man who takes defeat lightly at all... if Jorge Tadeo begins to distance himself from Don Camilo I don't discard the possibility of Don Camilo wanting to take DJT out of the way ... in any way possible. I see them both DJT and DCT as each having the objective Antonio was talking about, 'becoming the new king'...
 

Thanks Pasofino. Sorry to be just now getting around to commenting on this past week.

Francisco is such a loveable weasel. I abhor him and I want so badly to see him get what's coming to him yet I find myself ever looking forward to what dastardly thing he will come up with next. Selling Acacia will be very hard to top. Stealing from Gov. Tacón may end up being his downfall, however.

Boy, in the glimpse we got of Juliano in the coming attractions, he did not look good. Yikes!

I adore watching Nariño and those little girls. What wonderful genuine affection both ways.

Carlos
 

Martaivett and Carlos: Thank for the comments.

I still think Nariño was referring to either France or Spain as the enemy since they are outside the bounds of Nueva Granada.

Yes, the relationship between Nariño and the girls is very sweet.

Martaivett: If you would like to do this week's recap, please be my guest. Just confirm, and I'll leave it up to you. Thank you.
 

Pasofino, Just don't erase it from your tivo/dvdr until i have said i got it, my dvdr is acting up lately but it did tape last week all good. So as long as I get them in my dvdr i can recap them... will try to keep the translated dialogues to a min, i tend to overdo it in that area. But take a back seat and relax this week, you deserve it.
 

Martaivett: Thanks. I won't erase anything - I had some problems last week with recordings because of the fútbol games. Anyway, I have DirecTV and it only keeps five episodes at a time. My "recaps" were getting way too long.

Anway, another observation about this program. I went back on YouTube and watched some of the beginning chapters. The young actors were/are fabulous. I love the actress in the part of Pola. I find the actor in the part of Alejo to be very appealing, but maybe a little too mature. Alejo is supposed to be around 21 - so, we have to do the novela stretch to fit an actor in his thirties in the part. I wonder how the actor playing Arcos would have been in the Alejo part? He is fresh-faced, isn't he?
 

I have a question about Gertrudis. What is it that people call her before saying her actual name. People like the Alcalde call her something that sounds like: Misseur. Any ideas?
 

Anon.: I'm hearing and seeing "misia". It could be mi señora shortened to misia?????
 

yes its misia, which we would use as 'Miss'... like a school kid calls his female teacher or someone they respect and look up to. This woman is Catalina's godmother too, I think.
 

so far so good for getting monday's ep in dvdr.
 

got tuesday's ep too.
 

Thanks for the explanation about Misia. I kind of like it - even though I'm not a big fan of Gertrudis!

I cannot get over how consistently captivating this novela is. Every single night it's just amazing - there's never any filler. This is quickly becoming my favorite novela of all time.
 

Anon.: I have to agree with you. I've watched several of the episodes more than once. The dialogue is wonderful although it is difficult for me to understand some of the characters who have Castillian accents.
 

LOVED that Maria Teresa is backing up Alejo and even asked if she was invited to his wedding. I think Alejo knew she was never as loudly against him and Pola.. but to be wanting to go to his wedding? he must be floored!
 

just a quick note to let you know got wed and thursday eps in dvdr and will write summary for week either tonight or tomorrow. stay tuned... will probably have to email it to you since i can't open a new blog on my own
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Martaivett: OK - let me know when you are ready to post, and I will give you my email.
 

Martaivett: Or, better yet, give me your email.
 

Martaivett and Pasofino,
If you like, I can post a page and a brief summary (from memory) and you can fill in details. Or I can copy and paste Marta's work into the body of the page.
 

NovelaMaven: Thanks for the offer. I think Martaivett is doing a recap. Copying and past sounds good.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder