Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Una Familia Con Suerte #2 Wed 10/5/11 In which Fernanda does not plunge to her death and instead enjoys comida tipica.

  • Well of course we were all on the edge of our seats the last 23 hours wondering whether Fernanda would really slip and fall to her death.

    Wow, she didn't! Pancho's friend Chacho is uselessly glued to the sidewalk and many other onlookers are likewise uselessly stationary, Pancho manages to haul the Doña back up on the bridge by himself. He thanks God for not making him an orphan by letting his newly adopted mother fall to her death. Fernanda and Pancho hug and are very tender (great chemistry, those two).
  • As the three drive away from the scene in his truck ("la burra," the female donkey) Pancho plans to give her crispy pig skin junk food to liven her up. He invites her back to his casa popular, where all are welcome: there will be hot chicken soup for her, and mole!

    She's in shock and stupidly repeats everything he says ("like a parakeet" complains Chacho). He points out for her sake (and ours) all his kids, whose photos are up over the dashboard. Oldest, Pepe, next, Ana (the squirt with the accordion), next Lupita, lastly Temo. He enthuses about his happy family and says "we're lucky, we love each other. Nobody should be alone." "I'm alone," she moans. "From now on, you have me," he enthuses further.

  • Vicente's house: he asks his dog: "Who do you love?" He and his nutty (I love her) wife Pina and the dog, all at the table, are served by the perky maid Adoración.
  • Pancho's house: before he and his passengers arrive, we are treated to Pancho's sister Candy practicing her shake-and-thrust dance routine. Chela chides her, recommending less sensuality, there will be children and proper married couples at the celebration, and besides, "you know how guys are, remember what happened that OTHER time..." Candela says no such nightmare will ever happen again. "Don't censor me, don't limit my creativity!"

    There is a boisterous welcome for the stranger, the dog Popeye does a little dance, we see that Lupita (sister #2) has a bit of a "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" complex. Pancho introduces his sister-in-law Chela (that's Vicki Vicki Vicki of yore) and his "exotic and exuberant" sister Candela.

    Pancho, editing out the suicide attempt, tells everyone his mystery guest has had a bit of a shock due to their vehicle almost being in an accident. All stare as she eats (she has to be shown how to hold a tortilla) and she beams, saying the mole is the most delicious thing she's ever eaten. Applauso!

    Temo sticks his nose in the cake as "BITE" is chanted, there is the usual out-of-tune rendition of Las Mañanitas (which is actually a lovely song), Chela brings coffee.
  • The party winds down, Doña Fernanda says she has to leave, she'll call a taxi, Pancho says nonsense, I'm going to take you home Mom. (I have adopted an older woman as my mother too so I'm very pleased with this.) "Pancho, I haven't felt this good in a long time, your family is so loving and united..." "Just a normal family," he insists.

    She gushes over his admirable qualities some more, he asks why she wanted to jump, she tells him she has cancer and not long to live. (My son, who is a brain cancer survivor, mutters that anybody who gets cancer in a telenovela always dies but I remember a guero who once had leukemia and was completely cured two episodes later and was as handsome and vigorous as ever.)

    He's shocked, she says that's just one of her problems, for instance, "I loved a young man, but my father forbade our marriage as he was not of our social standing, and I had a son, I was told he was dead but I don't believe it." ...

    ... (So now is the time to tell you that our other roommate Mitzi, who has only watched about three hours of telenovelas total and doesn't understand Spanish, said last night at the first appearance of Fernanda, "that's going to turn out to be Pancho's mother.")

    So he tells her about his wife dying and we see the flashback of her in the hospital (and as she is failing, the only medical person in the room, a bored nurse, walks out. No medical person lifts a finger to save this young mother? Who, except for a few bruises on her face, looks pretty healthy to me. Where's the crash cart?) and we see Pancho, in an incongruously wild striped shirt, sobbing with baby Temo in his arms ...

    ... he recovers from his flashback, regrets the melodrama, and reiterates to Fernanda that from now on she will never be alone, "you can always count on me." She says he's taught her that only God writes the ending and that she should keep on keeping on...

    ... Then he tells her another of HIS problems, which is, that the neighborhood land has been mortgaged since Pancho's grandfather was the owner, and things are worse lately, and a devil of a lawyer Renzo Enzo Rinaldi has been pressing for payment. "What a small world," Fernanda thought-bubbles, "Rinaldi works for me."
  • In the dark, daughter 3 (Lupita) greets her consentido Tomás (meaning that they are at least sort of engaged). They kiss but when his finger strays toward her clavicle she pushes him away, saying: "when we are married!" "Yeah" he mutters, and leaves. She beams, thinking of their marriage and subsequent "special night" when she will, one presumes, Give All.
  • The dashing and spoiled young Freddy comes down the stairs of the mansion he lives in with his parents and the Pomeranian, he's going out. His wonderful daffy blond mom, Pina, says he can't go, what with all the fuss over aunty, but Freddy doesn't care ("probably she's just wandering around out there with Alzheimers" he says).

    "My nerves!" Pina exclaims. She strokes her son's head, he leaves. She announces she will faint, and her well-trained husband takes her in his arms and - puts her over by the comfy sofa so when she falls there'll be a soft landing. Pina: "Nobody loves me! I'm lonelier than the moon! Abandoned! Even you, dog, love your daddy and don't care about me! And your daddy is going to go out, too!"
  • Standing in some dark place by the side of a handy race track: let's see, Prince Freddy (styles himself quite a car racer), his supposed girlfriend Mónica (she's daughter of the evil lawyer Enzzo Renso Menso Rinaldi), and Alex (friend), they're waiting for the "King of the Nacos" - "these lower-class boobs are always late." (Naco is a fascinating word and we did a feature on it once but I can't remember how to find it.)

    Well, well, it is a small world, because the King of the Nacos is: Tomás! Lupita's erstwhile boyfriend! And with him, Pepe, Lupita's brother. Tomás has "borrowed" his employer's sports car!

    To make a long story short, they all trade insults, wager 10,000 pesos on the outcome of the race, Tomás wins but Freddy doesn't pay up, Mónica and Pepe share a few hormone-charged zingers, Prince Freddy and King Tomás and courtiers exchange names and snide threats and part company.
  • Fernanda asks Pancho to drop her in some anonymous place, lying that she's afraid to have the neighbors see her disembark with a man. She calls a taxi. I'm not sure where this is, but Pina and Veens see her disembark (must be a closed-circuit tv camera, maybe at the office?) The aunt calls and curtly announces: "I'm back, see you at work tomorrow," and she hangs up on Veents.
  • Sunrise.
    • Pancho's at the market juggling vegetables, trying to get milk for poor kids when he doesn't have the money for it, and enduring the jibes of his co-workers, who saw him on tv saving Fernanda. They say such things happen only to him and to Pato Lucas (Daffy Duck). "If it hadn't been for you she'd have hung up her tennis shoes." (My son reminds me that in some barrios when a person's killed their shoes are tied together and thrown over a power line.)
    • Fernanda tells her haircutter to give her a whole new look because she's a new woman.
    • Candy tells Ana: stop wearing firemen's clothes, dress more like Greta Garbo.
    • When Pancho gets home, his sister (who claims to have a photographic memory) triumphantly shows him an old magazine with Fernanda on the cover - she's "millonetas" (millionaire-ish)!

BIG MIX from MexicoUPDATE: Sylvia asked about "Big Mix," which was product-placed at the end of this episode. I see it is "Barcel Big-Mix 6 combines six popular Barcel snacks in one mix. It's great when you want to sample different products in one bag." Anybody know what the six popular Barcel snacks in the bag are?

Labels:


Comments:
Melinama, it's great having you recap once again. You do have a unique style and joie-de-vivre in your writing that is second to none. Shoot, I'd sworn to cut down to one telenovela but I'm really liking this one so far.

Sounds like your friend Mitzi is pretty astute. Or our telenovelas are in-your-face. Or both.

Whoa, what's up with Tomas's hair? He looks like some sort of Dr. Seuss bird.

How about that 'Big Mix' product placement at the party? What in the heck is Big Mix anyway?

Cute picture of Temo and the pup. And I quite like the chica with the accordion, an instrument of which I am particularly fond. I hope she plays it often.

Great recap! I love the editorial comments from you and your household. Fun episode and fun recap, it's a breath of fresh air to get away from the terminal grief for a change.
 

Hi Sylvia, I've missed you too! See the end of the recap for an update on "Big Mix." I am so pleased that most of the people in this show are nice.
 

Melinama- I am also as impressed as always with your recap style. How you get the most important info in, while keeping it funny.

The chemistry between Pancho and Fernanda is amazing. Definitely "call of the blood."

Sylvia- All the men in the vecinidad have some crazy hair. I have a feeling that once their fortunes change, the men/boys of Pancho's family and circle will start to look a bit more well groomed.
 

(and as she is failing, the only medical person in the room, a bored nurse, walks out. No medical person lifts a finger to save this young mother? Who, except for a few bruises on her face, looks pretty healthy to me. Where's the crash cart)
------
My husband, who doesn't speak Spanish but now understands "no puede ser", "muerto" "maldita" and other telenovela vocab, was also wondering this. I reminded him of numerous scenes in other telenovelas, including the other night in Fuerza where one character emotes over the injured/dying/dead character instead of calling for help.

I bet Mitzi is right.

Sylvia, great description of tomas's hair. My teen daughter just made a retching sound when she was describing it.
 

Thanks Melinama for your recap! I agree with everyone else, a succinct and amusing style.

Yeah, I wonder about the crazy hair of these guys. And also their strong accents (kind of sing-song). Are they going to talk like that all the way through the whole novela?

I had hoped to pare down my watching as well, but I may end up getting hooked on this show too. So far it seems pretty funny!
 

Melinama,I am so pleased to see you recapping again. Today we will finish Alborado and your wonderful recaps of the whole thing. You did a terrific job as well as provide a great service to all of us TN addicted non-Spanish speakers. Thank you.

After reading several articles about the Barcel product placement I now understand why it was there. Bimbo Grupo is the parent company and we have seen a lot of product placement for Bimbo. Barcel USA is in Irving, Tx. which also makes sense since that is also near the home of Frito-Lay which is in Plano. Texas is the home of a lot of snack food.

The six most popular snacks are salt fritostitos, lemon fritostitos, churros, salt patatinas, cronchus, and Japanese peanuts (whatever those are). I think the next time I go to the local Mexican market I will have to check them out.

Thanks again.

Rosemary
 

Hey, great sleuthing on the Big Mix. I might have to take a trip down to Mi Pueblo Supermercado to check them out.

Rosemary, I've had the Japanese peanut thingies, Kiyakies I think they are called. Thanks for making the connection between Big Mix and Bimbo. I think we have had a Bimbo product placement on almost every novela I've seen.

Tomas's hair - I remember Mario of Teresa also had weird bird-like hair at first. Like Vivi says, as they make their fortunes and venture out of the vecindad they tend to look more normal.

Pepe is pretty hot; I enjoyed the "hormone charged zingers" between him and Monica.

I like the casting of Pancho. I don't know much about the actor and I don't think I've seen him in anything, but he is very engaging and approachable. Yep, great chemistry between him and Fernanda.
 

Have only watched 20 minutes of the first episode, but am definitely hooked on the recaps. You and Julie are a great recapping team, Melinama. Short, sweet and flat-out funny.

And like others, I always love the personal asides...who else is watching, what they think...and also that you've adopted an older woman as a second mother. As an "older woman", I'm all for that! I got to be Nickster's Aunt Judy for a spell, and that was great fun.

I suspect this one will gradually pull in more viewers as it goes along. The intros have a cheesy style that is somewhat off-putting, but sounds like the actors are pulling off the comedy with style and flair. And it will be some relief from the endless sturm und drang of the other shows.
 

Thanks, Melinama, for straightening out all the stuff that went over my head the night before last. I knew there was a problem with a mortgage, but didn't realize how screwed up it was. If the mortgage started with Pancho's grandfather and they're still making payments, it seems like something strange must be going on.

I'm still not clear on what a "casa popular" is, though.

Elvira mentioned sing-song accents. I noticed last night that Pancho literally sounds like he is singing most of the time!

Japanese peanut things? Would those be like wasabi peanuts?

I watched the episode with my ears and not my eyes last night, and after reading the recap I feel that I need to watch again with my eyes because I missed so much!
 

By the way, I am very surprised at how much I am liking this so far. The "comedy," such as it is, is in the hands of people who know how to pull it off without going over the top.

Melinama mentions a guero who survived leukemia in a telenovela... that was Juan Cristobal (Sebastian Rulli) in Mundo de Fieras. Not only was he cured very quickly, I don't think his wife even knew about it. He was getting radiation on his lunch hour or something. It was ridiculous!!

They're giving such strong signals about Fernanda being Pancho's mom that I'm feeling skeptical. They hinted around like that about Rosario and Eva in FELS, and it turned out to be a misdirection.

Did Laurita really have bruises on her face in the hospital? Where would those have come from, I wonder. (Or was it just smeared makeup? That chick wore a TON of makeup!) I did find it extremely odd that the nurse didn't seem aware that her patient was moments away from death.
 

OK, couple more comments and then I will shut up. LOL!

I LOATHE Freddy. (Didn't take me long, did it?) I assume Tomas was the mechanic Freddy was rude to the other night.

We did indeed have a conversation about "naco" - more than one in fact - in the comments on several recaps. I'm not sure if there was ever an actual blog entry about it, though. Although I'm still not 100% clear on all of the nuances of usage and connotation, I note that nice characters never use the word, so I would hesitate to use it myself.

I thought it was funny that Pina announced an impending faint. I fainted once, and I didn't have time to announce it beforehand. Someone had to explain it to me after I came to!

I thought it was funny that Candy told Ana to dress like Greta Garbo. Candy doesn't dress like Garbo, so why should Ana? It wouldn't be age-appropriate, affordable, or fashionable!

Lastly... I am crazy about Fernanda. Maybe later we'll see some flashbacks to explain why nobody loves her, but until then, I'm not going to assume that she was ever a bitch. So far, it seems more likely that she was simply surrounded by jerks.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder