Friday, November 18, 2011

Una Familia Con Suerte #32 Fri 11/18/11 Fruitless efforts against a vegetable man

I haven't been paying much attention to the credits - how long has that mayo product placement been there, with Temo making a sandwich?

Pancho doesn't come home in time for dinner. He, Kojak/Chacho and Nico/Bigboy are still at the office, discussing the alleged harassment.

Rather than spread out and enjoy the extra space around the dinner table, the rest of Pancho's family sit in their usual places so that they can lean and turn awkwardly to hear one another speak. Tonight's special: Baked rehash! Topics: All the stuff in yesterday's episode.

Pancho invites Sandy to an open-door meeting in his office. She fiddles nervously with her low-cut blouse and he keeps calling her Salma, e.g. Hayek. He forgives her for the false accusation and asks her to retract it. She agrees.

Fernanda's German doctor considerately speaks English for our mutual convenience. He has the results of her PET scan. (He sounds a bit menacing. Well, as menacing as a guy can sound when he's imitating Colonel Klink. Or do I mean Sgt. Schultz?) "Did the treatment work? Please, tell me the truth!" (As usual, we know NOTHING!)

Pancho meets with Avon's corporate lawyer about the Casa Popular Unlicensed Daycare Center, but he doesn't have any new information. He offers to have someone look into it. Pancho wants to hire his own lawyer so as not to use the company's resources for personal matters.

Enzo comes in to talk about a personal matter. Pancho reaches forward and Enzo assumes the Karate Kid Crane Stance. (I'm now resisting the urge to add a picture of Bob Crane. It's possible to overdo a joke.) "Don't you dare touch me!" Pancho jokes that maybe Enzo will accuse him of harassment too. Yeah, he knows all about their little scam. He throws Enzo out. (Enzo paces outside Pancho's office, muttering to himself. When he turns his back, Pancho's secretary mimics him!)

Mónica is worried that something will happen to Pepe, and that Freddy will find out before she has a chance to tell him herself. She is despondent that her father will never forgive her. Karina tries to cheer her up.

Chela and Pepe discuss Love. Her surprisingly specific remarks on the subject lead him to ask who she fell in love with. She's impressed by how much he likes Mo.

Pancho tells Rebe that Sandy is retracting her accusation and says she's not even his type anyway. He describes his type as dainty, discreet, and elegant, and asks Rebeca what her type is. She likes a respectful, patient, humorous man, and why does he ask? "Curiosity - could you be interested in a man like me?"

Rebeca looks momentarily confused. "You?" Pancho asks, as a supositorio (he means a supposition, but says "suppository" instead), could she? Pancho is close enough to kiss her. She grumpily changes the subject and he says she sounds like Chela. Rebeca is VERY offended!

Enzo comes back to harass Pancho about Pepe nosing around his daughter. Pancho warns Enzo not to mess with Pepe.

Breakfast! Eggs, chorizo, and leftover rehash. Ana is interested to hear that Freddy may soon be available.

The morning meal is not so cheerful at the neighbors' house. Adoración tries to cheer Pina and Vince, but they're not in the mood. Pina encourages Vince to choke on an egg. Mónica's arrival does little to improve the atmosphere. She tells Freddy she'd like to spend some time apart because she's not sure what she feels for him. At first, Freddy tries to talk her out of it by ridiculing her (I think he even suggests that she's on the rag, "girls have their 'days' and sometimes they feel depressed"), but when that doesn't work and she insists she needs some time to get her head together, he becomes indignant and says fine, then let's just break up all the way! (What does he care? He has a Usual Room at the hotel, for Pete's sake!) Mo runs out crying. Fred runs upstairs. Vince follows after him, bellowing all the way.

Chela rubs Pancho's feet while he provides more rehash. He's so tired, he can't even get his nicknames right - he refers to Iracheta and Tranceti as "Iracheti and Tranceta."

Freddy wants his father to set the police loose on Pepe (I guess Vince is friends with the police chief) to give him a good scare. Fred is slow to understand why this is a bad idea: Vince needs that job and his boss is Pepe's father. (He pokes Fred's forehead for emphasis.) But he does want to get Pancho fired!

While Vince continues to plot against Pancho, Pina goes to Pancho's house to appeal to him to reinstate her radio show. First, she tells him how popular the show was and how important and helpful it was to other people. He doesn't argue with that, but says the issue is money: Avon is spending more than it's making. Pina then begs him: without the show, she's no one. Her life is useless.

At the office, Vince is angry with Sandra for recanting her story about the harassment. He calls Pancho a naco with too much power and gripes that he asked her to do just ONE thing to please him and she couldn't do it. She points out that he hasn't done anything to please her in quite some time. Nor his wife, for that matter, so there must be another woman in his life.

Candy calls, which makes Sandra even more jealous. Candy coquettishly tells Vince that "between us, not all has been said."

Fred gives Alex a somewhat distorted version of the story in which the whole breakup thing was his idea. He's sure Mo will come back asking forgiveness and then all will be as it was.

Mónica is still crying to Karina at school (she's worried that she hurt her father and Freddy, but I daresay Freddy will survive) when Pepe approaches. Mo runs away crying. Karina tells Pepe he'd be a fool not to take this chance.

The morning is well underway by now, and Pancho is still at home. Chela wants him to stay even longer so that she can bitch him out some more about what a terrible, changed person he is because of the money and the terrible, evil rich people he spends time with. She's dying of jealousy over Rebeca. The money and power have torn the family to pieces. She's afraid of what Tranceti will do because of Pepe. The stuff that happened to Temo at school, Lupita and the daycare, etc. etc. etc. the full catalog of bad things in the past 32 episodes. He failed in his promise not to change. It's ALL HIS FAULT. (I'm not so sure everyone in the family would agree that they're miserable!)

Pancho points out that Candy became Catgirl when they were poor and she was trying to help out, so she would have met Vicente anyway; but Chela can't be bothered with facts! She breaks down crying and he holds her. Her words, "I'm dying of jealousy because of Rebeca," echo in his mind.

Rebeca wonders where Pancho is and starts to worry. Barbara teases her for being so eager to see him. Rebe assures Bar that she'd never fall in love with a coworker. "I won't make that same mistake!"

Now at the office, Pancho tells Chacho and Nico that he doesn't really see Chela "as a woman." They say it's because of bonbon Rebeca. Pancho must choose!

That evening, Chela and Candy are arguing about the usual - Vicente (Candy is plotting mischief) - when Chacho interrupts. Meanwhile, contrary to Chacho's prediction that Nico must be flirting with Chucha or Goya, Nico is stinking up the bathroom. (I will spare you the more graphic details, but see what I mean about overdoing a joke? Just for that, I'm including that picture of Bob Crane after all.) Chacho tells him that since Candy is going to meet with Vince, this is their big chance to get revenge against him.

Next time:
Kojak goes undercover!

Labels:


Comments:
Julie, Thank you for a light hearted evening. I'm in the mourning crew over at CME and we need to laugh! Your recap is hilarious and I loved your illustrated joke. It was NOT going too far to add the Crane picture. It was just right, and some of us needed the extra laugh so see your are doing a good deed and having fun yourself I bet.

Familia is so enjoyable but I bet the slang and accents make it a challenge to recap. Great job.
 

Thanks Cheryl! Sometimes I get the jokes and sometimes not. Like when Pancho made some pun about taking a picture. Or Chela with all of her dichos. If I don't get them, I typically ignore them because they're a mile a minute and life is way too short.

Sylvia, I just saw your comment about the Bach Flower Essences. Too funny - "Rescue Night" sounds right up my alley. I don't believe in that stuff either, but I'll give them credit for knowing just what I need!
 

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever seen a full episode of Hogan's Heroes in my life. At first it just looked like it would be really offensive. Later, I found out that the premise wasn't what I had originally assumed; but somehow I still can't bring myself to watch it.

Love the theme song, though. I think the only way I'd like it more would be to hear it on an accordion.
 

Accordion? What? Julie are you joking or do you really like accordions? I ask because I LOVE accordion music. It almost always puts a smile on my face.

Thanks for such a fun and thorough recap of this episode. I like it when Pepe gets a lot of screen time. Another bonus, we didn't have to see stupid-hair Tomas at all. I was watching a rerun of Tontas today and the actor who plays Tomas was one of Jaime Camil's pals. His hair was better but he still looked kind of skanky. Hot but skanky.

I loved watching Hogans Heroes when I was a child. It used to drive my mom crazy because it was so loud and stupid.

Glad you saw my post about the Bach Flower Essence. Goofy eh? The earth mother behind the counter assured me that it's a great product, it really works. OK sure fine. As long as it doesn't kill me.

Like Cheryl I am a refugee from CME. It's a terrific novela but we are reeling from a most heinous murder. Watching Familia and reading your recap is truly a breath of fresh air.

I never noticed the mayo plug before tonight either. And I noticed it before I read your recap so there you are. I don't think it was in the credits before. A mayonnaise dream, weird.
 

Hi Julie...thanks for another nifty recap. Your title is a scream.
 

Julie, great recap. Enjoyed all your wisecracks, especially about the family breakfast. The scene with the German doctor speaking English so slowly to Fernanda had a mad scientist movie vibe to me. Thanks for lightening it up with Hogan’s Heroes.

Freddy is so arrogant. Get the police to scare Pepe? So he wants to hang on to Monica, just for ego purposes, but can’t be bothered to treat her in a way that might win her back. Monica, run –- don’t walk –- to Pepe.
 

Sylvia, I really like accordions. I think most things in life could be improved with some combination of onion powder, bacon, peanut butter, and accordions.

(I watched a lot of Gilligan's Island when I was a kid. If your mom thought Hogan's Heroes was loud and stupid, she should be grateful I wasn't around!)

I don't like Tomas at all. The hair doesn't help, but needless to say I'd hate this character even if he looked like Menso Tranceti.

I did notice the mayo thing in the credits earlier this week, but am not sure how long it's been around. I don't think it was there from the very beginning.

Sorry to hear of the horror from CME. I never recovered from the splatterific death of Ana Martin (whatever that character's name was) in STUD.

Freddie really is a fool. He must get it from his father. Monica probably senses that her future with Fred would end up like Pina's with Vince. I guess it's not such a bad deal from the man's perspective.
 

I wanted to watch CME, but can't handle more than 2 novelas. I cked to see what happened, maldita sea, they killed Alejandro Ruiz!!, love that guy but I don't think he ever survives a novela.
They are dropping like flies, looks like Fina is worse than Gabriela in FELS.
When does it end, I would like to see what they come up with for Fina's punishment. Augustin is a bad ass, but he sure is good looking.

I just love this TN, silly, frivolous & fun.
Tks Julie for the recap.

Variopinta
 

Julie, your comment about garlic powder went up on the sidebar. HAH HAH.
 

Melinama, I meant to include chocolate in that list, but was too hungry and distractable to think of it!
 

Julie- I haven't watched my recording yet, but so appreciate the recap. I also love the title.

So Moni broke up with Freddy. Yay! That's the best news ever. And Pina lowered herself to go beg Pancho for help?! I can't believe it.

Chacho is going undercover? That won't be obvious at all...
 

Ha ha! Julie's statement is absolutely sidebar-worthy. Good job.

Julie, there is an incredibly fun accordion festival in these parts that takes place every August. All accordions for two days. Tex Mex, Rockabilly, Irish, French Cafe, Zydeco, Italian 50's style, avant garde, gypsy opera, Oom-pah, and much, much more. I usually go for just one day but I'm amazed at the way the music just gives everyone huge smiles. This year there was a booth that sold bacon butties so I think you would have enjoyed yourself.

I forgot to say earlier that your title is wonderful.
 

Thanks. I don't like ALL styles of accordion music - I'm not crazy about French cafe, for example - but the thought of being surrounded by norteño, polka, zydeco, etc. for two days sounds pretty intoxicating. With or without the bacon!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder