Friday, November 11, 2011

Una Familia Con Suerte #27 Fri 11/11/11 Unnecessary champagne and hotdog dreams

Corrections/additions in red.

[whatever I missed]
The negotiation is underway. The sheik won't sign the contract unless he can have Chela and Candy. They insist that this is perfectly normal in their country and Pancho's got 24 hours to think about it.

Pancho sighs, "I wouldn't even sell Popeye."

Karina tells Freddy that if he isn't more sensitive about Mónica's feelings, he'll lose her forever.

Pancho calls Chela and Candy at home and tells them not to leave the house or even open the door. Of course he doesn't explain why.

Rebe tells Pancho that not all Arabs are like that. She assures him that the investors are being ridiculous and probably weren't serious about wanting to make a deal. Avon should break off the negotiation entirely. If those guys would try to buy human beings, who knows what they might ask for next.

She apologizes to Pancho for saying such mean things about him and his family when they had organized something so nice. She wants to drink to his "success." Pancho accepts her apology but tells her something he overheard his father say once: "Success has many parents, but failure is an orphan." The ugly things Rebeca said made him really feel alone. They need to be able to count on each another in good times as well as the bad. So, thinks they should drink to his first screwup - but that won't be today. After he leaves, she promises herself that he won't be alone.


Pina tells Candy the pole-dancing didn't work out. Candy says Vince doesn't deserve her anyway. Pina invites Candy to be on her radio show tomorrow. (Chela hasn't even done the show yet!)

Fernanda is at the hospital, wondering how it went with the Arab investors. She thinks Rebe should have more faith in Pancho. She asks the doctor to tell her the test results.

Elena texts the King of Douchebags, er, King of Cups that she's dated lotsa guys with girlfriends before. She tells him she's very discreet and she likes the "danger" (of maybe getting caught). He invites her out for a drink. "And then we'll see what else," she replies flirtatiously.

Vince accuses Pina of bad-mouthing him to the dog. She denies it and asks Adoración to back her up. Ado hesitates, but Vince insists. She not only throws Pina under the bus, but does a very enthusiastic impression of her, with lots of BLEEPs. Vince is muy angry at Pina and they argue some more. Two witnesses tell me that Pina said she and Vince haven't had sex since they got married.

Pancho comes home and explains the situation to the family. Candy is into it. She'll be rich! She's fine with sharing the sheik with the other wives. I think Pancho gets 400 camels in the deal, too. But he is having none of it. Candy complains he doesn't care about her. He says he's protecting them. Group hug.

Elena and Freddy at a bar. He says he's reserved a suite at the hotel. Elena is into it! He asks the hotel clerk for his usual room. It's huge. He offers Elena champagne. (She needs more alcohol like I need more hives.)

Pancho chats with BigBoy and Kojak. Kojak is particularly upset about Chela being part of the deal. Again they nag Pancho that she's in love with him. They warn that she might be feeling rejected - what if Candy convinces Chela to go with her to marry the sheik? (Pancho imagines them belly-dancing for the sheik; being cooled by giant feather fans; meeting and shaking hands with the other wives; being regaled with yummy food and exquisite costume jewelry brought by lusciously handsome male servants; and rejoicing that they won't have to care for children any more.)

Chela and Candy argue. Chela is disgusted that Candy would share a man. Candy thinks she is unique and deserves more from life than she can have here. Chela objects to Candy being treated like merchandise. Chela gives lots of reasons why the arrangement would suck, not the least of which is that Chela would miss her.

Karina warns Mónica that Fred knows something's going on with her. Monica calls Freddy to talk about it. He says he's at Alex's house. I notice the hotel room has a very similar layout (in reverse) as Mónica's. Irrelevant, but it caught my eye. He gets rid of Mónica and and hangs up. He makes out with Elena. She's enthusiastic at first, but when he begins to undress her, she wigs out and takes off. Freddy takes it pretty well, all things considered.

Next morning, Pancho gets a call at home from Lambi/Beto. Tranceti and Iracheta are still spending money that isn't theirs. Chela gives him his lunch and sends him on his way.

Candy's on the Pina Opina show. Pina talks about the Catgirl video and introduces Candy, who will soon be working for Avon herself. They're good friends. Candy meows like the Catgirl. Listening in his car, Vince nearly crashes into that hotdog cart he's been dreaming about. Hmmm. Nothin' Freudian about that.

Next time:
Things happen; people talk.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the recap, Julie; good work under battlefield conditions!

I don't think Chela ever did the show. And no way would she or Candy be happy in that gilded cage in Pancho's fantasy!

Word confirmation: woofent, which is what Popeye would have done
 

What really made me laugh was the way all the wives shook hands in Pancho's fantasy. Also the junk jewelry.

I am fascinated by Freddy's "nomance" with Elena. He takes her skittishness surprisingly calmly. He told Alex earlier something like he was simply offering her the privilege of having him in her bed. However, if that's all it is - a "favor" - then why does he keep trying?

At least he's not the nasty mickey-slipping rape artist I thought he'd be.
 

I loved Pancho's dream. Heh heh. Very touched by Chela's telling Candy how much she'd be missed. Sad for Pina - was she really saying she and Vince had never had sex since they married????
 

Thanks for the recap. Pancho's thought bubble of Chela and Candela in Saudia Arabia dripping in costume jewelry was a hoot.

Elena is a puzzle. Changing her mind about sleeping with Freddy seemed real, not calculated.

Adoracion's photographic memory was funny. I didn't realize "bleep" in Spanish is still "bleep."
 

Thank you for the recap Julie. I too was confused about the argument between Pina and Vince. Isn't Freddy their son? Maybe Pina meant why didn't they have sex on their anniversary?

Madelaine
 

"She needs more alcohol like I need more hives" and "Vince nearly crashes into that hotdog cart he's been dreaming about. Hmmm. Nothin' Freudian about that." are just some of the reasons why I love your recaps, Julie. And your preview summation "things happen; people talk" might be a résumé of this whole darned thing.

Thanks for hanging in there valiently on this; I too was surprised by Freddy the Seducer's mild reaction to being turned away. Guess he has to turn out to be a nice guy under all that snobby sleaze to qualify for Pancho's daughter's affection.
 

Terrific recap Julie. So sorry to hear about your DVR woes but it didn't affect your recapping skills at all. I hope you get things sorted out soon, with all the work you do for us the last thing you need is yet another challenge.

I liked it when Candy gushed "Que pena Pina." Just sounds kinda funny.
I thought Pina Opina was a radio show. Why do they film it like it's a TV show?

I like Adoracion, her imitation of Pina was perfect.

Pancho's fantasy was great. I hope they do more of those. I used to absolutely adore Lety's fantasies in La Fea.

Julie, thanks so much for your hard work on our behalf. It's much appreciated.
 

Thanks so much Julie. I will ditto everyone else's comments that my two favotite parts of last night's episode were Pancho's dream (we got to see a bit more of what's under those sweaters Chela wears), and Adoracion's spot on, and "bleep" filled imitation of Pina. LOL!

Although Pina's show is on the radio, I think it's also recorded and shown online or some such. I think shows like Howard Stern also did this, right?

Elena seems very unsure of what she wants. She seems to be a troublemaker for trouble's sake, like Candy. Bt Candy is a way better friend to Chela than Elena is to Lupita. I was also touched by their conversation when Chela said how much she would miss Candy if she went off to Arabia with the sheik.
 

Turns out my other machine got the first 15 minutes before it ran out of space, so I'll be posting some additions/corrections later.

Pina and Vince - no sex since marriage? If they argued about that, I missed it completely. I know they haven't been intimate in a very long time but I don't know if it goes back THAT far.

Niecie - "Bleep" was actually "beep" when Adoración said it, but I changed it to "bleep" to make it clear that she was censoring and not honking a virtual horn!

Judy - I put "things happen, people talk" as a placeholder because the avances went by too fast! But in a later ad for the show I saw that Chela and Rebeca will be having yet another talk. I sure hope they can find a new topic of discussion.

Sylvia - Pina Opina is a radio show, but there's a video webcast. This, to me, defeats the whole purpose of radio. I did radio in college and loved it because I didn't have to worry about hair or makeup or anything like you do with TV!
 

Thanks folks for clarifying my Pina Opina query. Duh, a webcast didn't even occur to me because radio is...well radio.
 

thanks so much, Julie. it was a bummer that the show started early. i taped it at midnight.

The best part of the "junta" with the Arabes was when they refused to deal with Vince. They saw right thru him! so cultural differences aside, looks like the Arabs have good judgment when it comes to business dealings.

carolina
 

...and I agree Niecie that Elena wasn't calculating about that last part with Freddy. In fact, I thought I saw a flicker of doubt in her face even when he suggested the hotel room. I don't think she is as experienced as she claims to be. Maybe she thinks it might be fun or cool to be a skank but she isn't quite ready to go through with it.

I have a theory about Freddy too. He's obviously not the date-raping type, but I don't think he's used to being denied, either. But instead of flying into a rage like you'd expect a spoiled brat to do, he seemed genuinely surprised to be rejected, especially by the likes of Elena. As if it had never even occurred to him.

Maybe he'll enjoy a challenge!
 

OK, updated with some additions/corrections. Mostly the conversation between Rebeca and Pancho. Nothing really huge.
 

Thanks for the updates Julie. I was really happy to see Pancho tell Rebe offf (nicely) for the way she jumped on his case after the Arabs wouldn't sign. I also really liked the dicho about successes and failures. Great one to keep in mind for later use.
 

Tks so much Julie, this novela is a breath of fresh air, as are your recaps.

The word for soap opera in Spanish is culebrón.

Variopinta
 

Love the way Pancho says Popeye
Variopinta
 

Well, now we have a nice twist if Pina and Vins haven't had sex since getting married. Maybe snobby Freddy is adopted, and his biological origins are very naco. That sociological flip seems to be a favorite in these stories. (Not a spoiler...I'm just speculating.)
 

Maybe Freddy's conception was an oops that forced Vince to marry Pina.

But I had also imagined that Vince and Pina were an arranged marriage similar to Mo and Freddy's.

I suppose both could be true - that they were engaged, fooled around experimentally, Vince realized he couldn't stand her, but she was knocked up and he had to go through with the marriage.

It would be very interesting indeed if it turned out instead that Freddy was adopted from a very poor family; though I wonder if snobby Pina would be willing to raise a boy who didn't have bluish blood in his veins.
 

Thanks Julie.

Pancho and the Arab making faces at each other across the table was funny, like two kids.

I loved Addy's imitation of Pina. She is quite the actress. I wonder what Pina's real name is?

Candy would probably be very happy in a gilded cage and would probably be the Arab's favorite wife.

Rosemary
 

Rosemary- I believe I heard Vince call Pina Josefina once.
 

I think it was Josefa. I wrote it down when I heard it.
 

Just popping in re: Pina. Yes, she is an awesome actress. I was just so blown away by her portrayal of evil cousin Lisabeta in Pasión. She made a very unusual character seem so very real, and part of it was the total constistency of the portrayal. She never let up for one second. Super professional!

Audrey
 

Ooops! Now I see you were referring to the actress playing Adoración. My comments re the Pina actress stll stand :)

Audrey
 

I saw Daniela Castro (Pina) in Mi Pecado and wasn't sure could pull off this part. I have been pleasantly surprised that she has really very good acting the "airhead".

Rosemary
 

Pina is Josefina.

I have heard Adoración say achis a couple of times. Remember Iluminada in STuD?

I can't find out who the actress is that plays Adoración. One thing, Pina doesn't treat her badly as you might expect.

Variopinta
 

Addy is played by Helena Guerrero.

Rosemary
 

One of the things Daniela Castro brings to the Pina character is her deep voice. It somehow enhances the absurdity of her character. I've been pretty amazed at her comic portrayal. Exaggerated, yes, but perfectly matched to the characters surrounding her - she's definitely pulling it off.

Audrey
 

Mónica also has a deep voice, or at least a very husky voice for someone so young.

I like deep voices on women (and men), but Daniela Castro sounds positively hoarse to me, almost as if it hurts to talk.
 

Makes me wonder if she wrecked her vocal chords during Mi Pecado, which was an incredible performance.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder