Saturday, February 25, 2012

Screencapping tutorial for fellow Caray-Carayers

I hope it's okay to pimp this here!

I know I'm not the only one to make screencaps on Caray Caray, but just in case some of you fellow recappers are looking for a tutorial, I decided to while away some time and wrote a tutorial for us on my own blog, which you can read here. It's for both Mac and PC and I try to recommend free software when possible. I don't think this is the definitive tutorial, and I'm sure there are better ways for some of the things I show, but this is at least one way to do it.

A few screenshots from the tutorial, because you know how I love my screenshots:

Using the free video software VLC Player (for Mac and PC) to make "snapshots" from any video.

Cropping a picture in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Lightening a picture in the free software that comes with your Mac.

Hope this is helpful to someone! Again, the tutorial is on my own blog (it's the only post I have there at the moment!) and it's for both Mac and PC.

Labels:


Comments:
Help, I can't get the recap!
 

cExcellent! Thanks Some of us folks us Linux...PClinuxOS in my case.
 

I'm pretty sure there's a VLC version for Linux. (That's the video playback software that has a built-in capture feature.) I assume it's similar to the Mac and PC versions. If you want to lighten the screencaps afterwards, then I think GIMP would suffice, or some other free image editing software.

I wish I could do a tutorial for Linux too, but right now it's just Mac and PC for me.
 

Thanks Elvira! That's great information. I'm going to bookmark your blog page for future reference.
 

Hey, pc users, any video program will work. pcs have a keyboard button called "print screen" (sometimes abbreviated). pressing control and that button will take a screenshot of your whole screen and save it to the clipboard. You can then go into any image software (even ms paint that comes free with every computer) and hit ctrl+V to paste, then crop!

-Ezra
 

Ezra, I've tried the "Print Screen" with other programs and it doesn't always work in Windows. (I tried and tried with Windows Media Player and no go.) Things may have changed with the latest version of Windows (which I don't have) but all I know is that I tried many times in Windows Vista and 7 and it didn't always work. A screenshot of the desktop was captured, but the video picture (which is what I wanted) was black or off-center. Very weird.

But when/if it does work, great!
 

Elvira, You are fabulous. Thanks, I am going to bookmark this too. to play with when I get back home.Three more glorious days in Oaxaca!
 

Thank you! I was wondering how you did those screenshots. Love the recaps.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder