Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Por ella soy Eva #21 8/14/12: Juan Querendon arrives and he's a babe magnet!

We open with Eva sneaking out of Pluto's office (with a cd of espionage stolen from the computer). She bumps into Helena the same way s/he did when they first met as man and woman. Mutt and Jeff stare at Eva curiously but "plot armor" preserves her disguise, as it will for months to come.

All are a-flutter about the arrival of Diego Fonticoda, who owns an airline; Helena plans to convince him to have his planes stop at Playa Majagua. She doesn't invite M & J so they plot against her behind her back.

Eva is in her/his old office (now Helena's office) looking at pics of Helena and Lalo. S/he steals one romantically just as Helena arrives looking very suspicious. Helena's four rules: "No gossip, be punctual, keep your mouth shut -- and don't mess in my private life. I trusted somebody who betrayed me and it won't happen again. And call me Licenciada."

Eva absentmindedly goes into the men's bathroom and there is a whole lineup of outraged guys with their penises out (one assumes). She says: "Up north where I come from it isn't Hombres and Mujeres, it's Hembros and Machos, of course I was confused." Eva then goes to the ladies' and meets a flotilla of bonbons in there, gossipping about the very sexy Diego. Turns out he and JC were big friends. The babes remind each other, "Fonticoda will do anything to get what he wants and he doesn't respect anyone in skirts."

Looking over Helena's presentation, Eva finds ... a mistake! He can't believe it! He shows Helena her little mistake. It would have cost her a lot in dealing with Diego. He says he'll fix it.

OK coming out of the elevator, wait, wait, ... oh hurrah, it's JUAN QUERENDON!!!!! I love him. He's all over the receptionist Marcela - turns out they were somehow involved long ago. He kisses her hand and compliments her while her husband looks on wrathfully. Then Diego turns to Rebe, she gets kisses and compliments too. Diego's assistant is Ignacio Betancourt.

Helena arrives. Diego calls her Venus, he kisses her and invites her out for a drink, he escalates and says "You're a goddess, I'll call you Aphrodite." "No, call me Helena." "Ahh, like Helen of Troy."

They go to the conference room and Diego wants the presentation immediately but Eva hasn't arrived with the corrected version. Helena kills time with talk. Meanwhile, Eva has finished the corrections and rushes toward the meeting -- but she gets stopped by Adriano, who says she is not dressed well enough and he insists she be taken off immediately to get a uniform (if they have one in her/his size). She manages to squeeze into a turquoise dress and explain to all the girls that she hasn't let anybody see her nude but her dead husband (sobs into kleenex).

Helena has been talking away and Diego's ready to sign, but since Eva doesn't show up, he says "you missed your chance" and leaves. Rebe gloats. "You're useless," she croons as she goes off to rejoice with Mutt and Jeff.

Diego asks Marcela's husband for her phone number, that's rubbing it in! He calls him zambo (knock-kneed). It takes Marcela all her charms to soothe her jealous husband's feathers.

[At home: the mean dad yells at his wife. She's sad he threw Helena out. He plans to get custody of Lalo. At school kids mock Lalo for having said he'd have a dad - "but he died" Lalo protests - they push him around.]

When Eva (who's been in the bathroom trying to fix her wig) finds out Diego left without signing, he borrows Marcela's phone and calls Diego, who had been his brother in bad behavior in his former life. "Diego, this is Eva, the assistant that didn't show up." "How do you have my private number?" "Diego, we need a meeting so you can sign." "Tell your boss she missed her chance." "Hey Diego, I know you like a few cups - you choose the bar, Helena will come. Consult your horoscope, you'll see the stars are lined up for good business. Check the runes, the tarot..." "OK. Tell Helena I'll come for her."

Pluto is reaming Helena out for losing the deal when Eva comes in and says she's set up the meeting. "You are all so tense," she whispers in her feminine accent. "Lighten up, life is a carnival."

Eva wants to come to the meeting but Helena says no, it's just going to be Rebe and me. Eva: "Can I give you a little tip? He's a skirt chaser, he's very superstitious, he likes the good life. Look fabulous."

Lalo is sad at the dining table. "My friends are going to talk about the work their dads do tomorrow." The mean dad overhears Helena telling her mom she has to go to a bar to sign a contract, and she names the bar ("The Rumba").

Eva sneaks back to the office to look over the material he stole from Pluto's computer. He throws off his shoes ("Who'd wear these high heels of their own free will?") He gets comfy and then realizes he has the wrong cd, this one has the Playa Majagua projecton it. That means he has to go switch cds at the bar!

Walking home talking about their teenage hanky-panky way back when, Marcela and Mutt spy a couple macking behind a tree. Turns out this is their daughter. The boy runs away.

Helena arrives at the bar, wearing an awful dress, she will drink only mineral water. Diego wants to party. Here comes EVA! Helena slips off to see why Eva has arrived. They switch cds and Eva gives lots of advice: "Don't be alone with that Cosanova. He has xray eyes, he's a satyr, a pervert." Helena says she can take care of herself. "Well, some advice: Diego is superstition, he believes the dead can communicate. Call me when you get home." Rebe thinks Helena is trying to seduce Diego. There are words and Rebeca flounces out....

... And in comes Helena's awful father. He hears Diego boasting about Helena: "She'll do anything she has to," he opines. His friend: "Yes, she's liberal and modern." There is talk of flitting from bed to bed. Dad glowers.



Labels:


Comments:
Thanks, Melinama. Fast and funny, yet complete recap.

Lots to enjoy with JC, but I always laugh when he hikes up his skirt and tries to get comfortable sitting in the office chair. Love him being so shy changing dresses in front of the office crew.

I would pay an evil assassin from one of the drama TNs to sneak over to this one and knife Bastardo Eduardo in the back.

La Paloma
 

I'm with you on that. Why does he want to believe so ill of his daughter?
 

This dad is like the meanest ever. Blegh.
 

This epi was so funny, with Eva/Juan opening the men's room door, lol, and the guys all startled. Eva was even funnier in the ladies' room. I loved what he did with his purse.

Eduardo needs that skillet already, or an infarto. Can't stand him, he is too mean. Like your idea La Paloma.

UA- when Helena was going to get married to Lalo's father, he stole the money for the wedding and took off for the U.S. never to return. Eduardo has always blamed Helena for that, plus being pregnant. He is a prime asshat.

So Juan is really helping Helena with finding the error and also with Diego. It's good he warned her about Diego. He is another man that is chauvanistic.
 

Oh, and Melinama thank you so much for this great recap.
 

Thank you, CHF, for the recap.

Tonight's Fea shout-out: the brand new assistant finds a catastrophic error in the boss's super-important proposal, and must hurry and fix it in time for the big meeting.

I'll bet that Diego's superstitions will play into the plot. He believes the dead can communicate. Sounds to me like he'll hear from Juan from the grave, telling him to take his hands off Helena!

Lalo is upset because they're having "Tell About Daddy's Work" day at school. Never happen, IMHO. Not in the US, because too many kids don't have a dad. Not in Mexico, because too many dads don't have work. I once explained to my Mexican study partner that when American men meet, they say, "What do you do?" to make small talk. He said you would never ask that in Mexico, because so many men are unemployed or underemployed, e.g. taxi drivers with engineering degrees.

 

Thank you for the snappy recap Melinama. I was particularly fond of the "plot armor" quip.

I really only catch the last few minutes of this one each night, but I am keeping up via recaps.

Pro: I haven't seen any scenes with Helena's horrid father.

Con: I miss a lot of Jaime as Eva scenes.
 

Oh dang! Sara beat me to it but "plot armor" is worthy of a second mention. Great concept. You always find a way to express a lot in just a few words. A gift, Melinama, a gift.

Also really appreciated the definition of "zambo" as knock-kneed. That one flew right by me.

Only saw part of this so the recap got me all caught up. Thanks so much.
 

Thanks, Melinama. I've only seen the first half so far (and the last five minutes) - saving the rest of it for tonight. :-)

I am hoping against hope that Eduardo went to the bar with some harebrained intention of helping or protecting Helena, rather than a misguided plan to defend the family name by dragging her out of there by the hair and calling her a slut. I know he'll probably disappoint me, but I really need him to do one decent thing for Helena. (Even as he plots to take her child away from her.)
 

Great recap, Melinama. I too enjoyed the "plot armor" comment. I can't believe our good fortune -- Camil in a hilarious turn AND Juan Querendon. That show was my intro into the world of telenovelas. I loved it then & I still prefer the comedies.

Can Eduardo be more nasty? I fear that what he will do with this info is to use it to try to prove that Helena is an unfit mother and to get custody of Lalo. His attitude is so disgusting.

Güera
 

Thanks Melinama!

Julie- I think you're being too optimistic about Bastardo's intentions. I am not looking forward to what he does next.

Some good things have got to start happening for Helena soon, right?

I could not believe they found a uniform to fit Eva. Does that company employ anyone larger than a size 2?
 

I predict that the first one to recognize that Eva is Juan will be Lalo because Lalo needs Juan the most. Probably not in the tree incident in last night's previews, though it's possible. This TN moves so fast, who can know?
 

Melinama....such clarity and the proper appreciation for the arrival of JUAN QUERENDON! I'm over the moon about this! As if the cast of this novela could get any better...and here he shows up...and it gets better! "Eva's" screwball comedy with the heels, the wig mishaps, etc. is defining Jamie Camill as an even better comedic talent than I recalled in FEA. He's brilliant! I think Elena's sick-o Dad is concealing some deep, dark secret (really deep and really dark ) that accounts for his dastardly treatment of such a wonderful daughter and single mom.

I'm guessing the dashing Diego will fall, as did Juan, sincerely, genuinely, and irrevocably in love with Helena.

Oh and one more thing... from the previous night's episode...the boss having that much "face time" with that girl who looks underage.. was ICKY. Really ICKY. Yuck.

Nevertheless, this is shaping up to be one of my favorites of all time. Love this novela!


 

I'm sure Eduardo will disappoint tomorrow night. Dragging Helena out of the bar by her hair will not only make it all look worse it will mess up her career even more and bring the wrath of Juan/Eva and Diego.
 

Yeah, I think Guera's right - he's probably hoping to get some dirt that he can use against her to get custody. Bummer.

Not that it isn't fun to hate him, but I get enough of that from Pluto and Mutt 'n' Jeff and Adriano and Rebeca.
 

Thanks, Melinama! I couldn't enjoy this TN without the recaps - everyone talks so fast (and the vocabulary is certainly different than what we heard in Spanish class!).

Last night's episode reminded me of one of my nightmares (I'm trying to get somewhere and I can't get there). Eva had such a hard time getting to that meeting. Yikes!

Mil in NC
 

Melinama - terrific recap. "Plot armor" - too funny.
 

WAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!

I want Eva. I don't want futbol. Even the site that has videos of most of the Mexico broadcasts, is missing this one. Don't ask me how I know that. Waaghhh!

 

But we won! We actually won! That's worth something, right? Even if it was less funny than Eva.

Kelly
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder