Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mentir Para Vivir #97 Mon 2/24/14 A human life is a story told by God*




*I couldn’t think of a snarky title for this recap, so I chose this quote by Danish author and poet, Hans Christian Andersen. It seems appropriate, all things considered.


Oriana is hiding the copy of the CD in the cover of her luggage. She looks worried, but she has to dissimulate in front of Alina, who comes to talk about Tito needing a bath.

Jl takes a good look at his copy of the CD and then leaves the house. John is following him and as soon as JL notices, he stops his car and goes to John’s to threaten him with his gun: if he doesn’t stop the spying, he’s a dead man!

At Aresti Bretton Piero and Mariano try to make Ric see reason (part 253). Piero calls him a hysteric, doesn’t think that his relationship with Oriana will last if all he does is try to control her every move. Ric thinks he was on the right, because Oriana met with JL behind his back. When Piero tells him that Oriana and JL share a past and a child and they can’t stay out of contact, Ric reminds Piero of his failed marriage (which means that Piero is not the best when it comes to relationships). Piero gets upset (rightfully, in my opinion) and leaves.

Mariano tries to calm Ric, too, but then they talk about his relationship with Jacqui and how nothing physical really happened so far. Mariano explains that he spent all his life refraining his sexual needs, so now it’s very hard to act on them. Ric thinks that if he truly wants a family, Mariano needs to learn to listen to his instincts;but  if he only likes Jacqui in a platonic way, he should just tell her the truth and not let her get her hopes up.


Manolo is following JL and he sees him meet Jacqui and Rosa in the lobby of Hotel Platina. Up in the room, JL gives Rosa the CD and asks for assurance that the organization will let him be. JL is still scared, mostly because of Sam. He wants to leave with his wife and his daughter and is afraid that Sam will do something to them even if the organization forbids him to. Rosa promises this won't happen and JL adds that he made a copy of the CD and gave it to someone he completely trusts.
After JL is gone, Jacqui wonders why he mentioned Ines, when she knows that Ines is with Ric. Rosa is more worried for her daughter, though, and for her relationship with Mariano. Rosa is already hearing wedding bells, but Jacqui makes it clear they are only getting to know one another and Mariano is amazing. Rosa doesn’t look convinced, she’d like to talk to Mariano before she leaves, see what he’s all about.  

John informs Sam that he could no longer follow JL, but he did see him at Hotel Platina, meeting Rosa and Jacqui and giving them something. (So, he did follow him after all? I’m confused).
Manolo witnessed JL’s meeting in the lobby and calls Homero with the news. Sam is also around and Homero is sure that JL met the women to give them the CD. He also thinks that Sam will try something against JL, so he asks Mike to guard JL’s house.

As night comes, Ric calls Oriana, but she doesn’t answer. The message he leaves says something like: “I’m so sorry, I acted like a brute. I promise it won’t happen again. Please don’t leave me, you are my life.” (This is the exact type of speech I would expect to hear from someone suffering from pathological jealousy and maybe even more; if I were Oriana, I think I would stay away.)

The next morning, Fidelia is upset because the news about Marilocked up is now in the press. Ric tries to calm her down and we really don’t have the time for her whining now. Next!

Cesar asks Raquel for a paternity test. He will take care of the baby and give her money, but he wants to be sure first. Raquel swears that he is the father and doesn’t agree with the test. I hope Cesar will insist.


Rosa is getting ready to leave for the airport. Sam comes to ask her the CD, but Rosa won’t give it to him. Also, if he dares to kill JL, he will be out of the organization. (Oh, that sounds so scary! Not!)


Manolo overhears the entire conversation and updates Homero. Homero says that the CD must not leave the country; he is sure that Sam will follow Rosa and try to ambush her somewhere on the way to the airport. Manolo tells Homero that Sam has 6 people in his guard, so Homero asks him to keep an eye on Sam. Then he calls Mike and then explains to Leo the operation that he’s planning – intercepting the CD before it’s too late.


20 minutes after Jacqui and Rosa leave for the airport, Sam leaves, too. Homero finds out about it from Manolo. He calls Ric to let him know that some inspectors will come to the real estate company today to start investigating, so he better warn Seb to leave the building immediately. Seb doesn’t answer the phone, but Ric leaves him a message.

In the car, Rosa is still worried about leaving her daughter behind, just with Mariano. Jacqui assures her that Mariano is a great guy and she loves him just the way he is.
The meeting with Mariano takes place at a restaurant, in the middle of nowhere and this is the first sign that this won’t end well.

They barely have the time to sit at their table, when Sam and his goons show up. Leaving the guards outside, Sam enters the restaurant and asks Rosa for the CD again. When she won’t give it to him this time, either, he grabs Jacqui and pulls out a gun, threatening to kill her. Mariano tries to plead with Sam, reminds him that Jacqui is his niece. If Sam really wants to kill someone, kill him instead. Sam loses his focus for a moment, so Mariano takes advantage of the opportunity and starts a fight with him. The gun fires and the one receiving the bullet is our dear ex Padre Plaid. (NO PUEDE SER!)

The police show up and they start shooting at Sam’s guards. Homero is shot in the hand and Mike takes off his shirt to stop the tiny bleeding. (And in the the middle of all this drama, I can't help but laugh out loud, because this is such a random and unnecessary action. I love it!) Several cops are killed by Sam. Jacqui tries to run from the restaurant and Sam wants to kill her, too, but he doesn’t pay attention to Leo, who is also there, with his bow and arrows, too (this is pretty ridiculous, but…). Long story short, Leo sends an arrow right through Sam’s skull (we’re spared the image, but it is later mentioned on TV).  
Sam falls right next to Mariano, who is unconscious.

Maddhilde is once again signing some documents that she knows nothing about when the financial inspectors come to talk to her about some fake invoices. Tony takes advantage of this to say that he’ll go talk to the accountant and leaves. He immediately calls Sam; his phone is by now in police custody and Manolo answers, receiving Tony’s message for Sam: the investigators are on to them, Tony is waiting for instructions. Good luck with that!
Upon watching on TV the news about the way that Sam died, JL burst out laughing.

Ric and Fidelia visit Fabiola and try to cheer her up a bit.
When they get out of her room, they see Mariano on a hospital stretcher. Ric calls Oriana to let her know and then Lucina to ask for some clothes for Jacqui and her mother. Jacqui is crying her eyes out, but Ric is the perfect vision of devastation; alone, in the empty hospital hallway, trying to grasp the fact that his best friend might be dying.

Homero has a superficial wound (Thank God for Mike's shirt, he is a hero!). Leo tells him that, to his surprise, he’s happy that he killed Sam. Before leaving for the police, Homero tells Rosa that this story hasn’t ended yet, even if Sam is dead. I think he means that the entire organization needs to fall, but he could also be talking about JL. I have no clue.
Arriving at the police station with Leo, Homero finds out that the real estate business is about to go down, too. The only problem is that Leo didn’t have a weapons permit. The crossbow is a weapon, so Leo will be investigated for Sam’s death, even if thanks to him the whole operation was successful (aside from the 7 deaths and counting).   

Back at the hospital, Oriana and Lucina arrive, too. The doctor comes to tell them that the surgery is over and Mariano woke up and wants to talk with Ric and Jacqui. The bullet perforated his liver and other organs. His expression lets us know that Mariano won’t make it.

The first to see Mariano is Jacqui. She is crying, but he asks her for a smile. He called her to say goodbye and to tell her that he loves her. She loves him back and she promises that every time she thinks of him, it will be with a smile like the one he asked from her now. Sniff….

It’s Ric’s turn to see Mariano and the talk goes like this:

Mariano: “Gracias port tu amistad.(Thank you for your friendship)
Ric: “Gracias por tu paciencia.(Thank you for your patience). “And for the boxing lessons.”

They fist pump and it’s all so sad, that I’m actually crying.
And then Mariano dies and I’m sobbing.

Instead of a preview, I leave you with this poem, by American poet, James Whitcomb Riley. Again, it seems appropriate. And I’m just very very sad.   

 RIP, Padre Plaid!
I cannot say, and I will not say
That he is dead. He is just away.
With a cheery smile, and a wave of the hand,
He has wandered into an unknown land
And left us dreaming how very fair
It needs must be, since he lingers there.
And you—oh you, who the wildest yearn
For an old-time step, and the glad return,
Think of him faring on, as dear
In the love of There as the love of Here.
Think of him still as the same. I say,
He is not dead—he is just away.”
         


Labels:


Comments:
This has been my last recap of Mentir. The show started out so promisingly, but ended up being a tangled mess of police procedural meet spy movie meet mexican telenovela.
And it's not over yet!

Thank you all for your appreciation and and all the lovely comments. I hope to be able to recap another show once my life settles a bit.
In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this one.
See you around the patio!
 

Good work, Adriana.

This episode felt like the OK Corral in the middle of a spy movie. Like you, I had a bad feeling when Sammy the Bull walked into the restaurant.

How cold-blooded is it to want to kill your own niece?

Mariano was the sacrificial lamb and while that might be dramatically fit, it definitely hurt. Billy Joel was probably right.
 

Thank you Adriana, for all of your wonderfully witty recaps, even after you had lost your excitement for this tn.

What a sad end for Mariano. I could have easily accepted Piero or someone else being the sacrificial lamb. But why Mariano? I had such hopes for his future as a doctor/husband/father. He would have been so awesome in all of those roles. At least Sam is dead.

How do they plan to fill the next four hours now that the big bad is dead? I guess JL is going to have to take a trip to crazy town.
 

Adriana,

Thank you for all of your recaps. This one was a wonderfully fitting tribute to one of our favorite characters. I sure didn't see this one coming and am so sorry that it had to be Mariano. I love the poem that ended your recap.

I guess Vivi is right, that JL will now go nuts and be the last threat to Ricardo's and Oriana's happiness.

I don't think it was intended to mean much, but it sure looked like some sparks were flying between Leo and Jacqui after he did away with Samuel. I have never been sure about Leo and Fabiola, and had this little moment where I wondered whether Leo and Jacqui would get together with Fabiola returning to Sebastian. It's probably too late for this much shifting and I have a bad feeling about Sebastian surviving. We will see.

I agree that Ricardo's regrets to Oriana were just what abusers say, but I also want to believe in this case that he got the message from his friends that his possessiveness is too much. He did turn the tables on Mariano during their conversation, shifting to Mariano's relationship with Jacqui.


 

Adriana Noel, I know the show has had its disappointments, but you have produced such witty and fun recaps in the midst of it all. It seems like a simple "thank you" is really never enough for our wonderful recappers. I hope that you know how much all of us out here in Viewerville appreciate and admire your hard work. Thank you!

I am truly sad. I loved Padre Plaid. He had his feet firmly planted and rooted on solid ground. He had so much promise in his new life. The community suffered a great loss.

I've gotta tell you that I am just stunned. Why Mariano? Good grief, it is just a TN, but I am sad this morning.

Fatima
 

Adriana thank you so much for the recap and your work throughout this tn. So sorry it was such a downer episode but like you I cheered when Mike had to take off his shirt for Homero's 1st aid.

I can only echo UA, Vivi and Fatima's comments about Mariano. Why? It seems like this tn has a lot of bad stuff happen to nice/good people and to have our former Padre die is just bad.

TL, I'm not sure it was sparks b/t Leo and Jackie. I think they were both stunned at the violence around them and he actually killed someone. Though it was kill or have Jackie die, it was still a death.

Homero might become a criminal himself if Manolo's cousin tries to have Leo investigated.
 

Thanks for all your hard work Adriana, I agree with you that this show started with so much promise and is ending in such a tangled mess. Too bad for us.

I sure didn't see this ending coming. And Mariano didn't even get one single night of passion before his end. That's just not right.

I predict the ending will be JL and Ric facing off over Oriana.


 

Tks so much Adriana Noel, good work on a now lousy novela.
Tito is not the only thing that stinks.
 

Thanks your recaps Adriana Noel, it was good to read them. But I think we can read your recaps after a very short time.

I am also sad because of Mariano, at least Jackie and he should have been a common night with adult games.

I loved Gatica's acting, in this scene he was a really, really bad boy. And Leo again with the arrow.

I think Homero should have died, and not Mariano.




 

Adriana Noel -– Lovely title and fine recap for this sad episode. Thanks for the poem. It's been a pleasure reading your recaps, no matter what was happening on screen. My favorite snark on your final MPV recap:

“try to make Ric see reason (part 253)”

“Marilocked up”

Even though MPV took a downward turn, I have to say at least they tried to be original.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm still thinking Mariano might wake up tonight. Sad to see him go. Also, too bad they put so little into giving him a romantic relationship. He and Jacqui going straight to being in love in five minutes didn’t work for me. I don't even remember them kissing. But Mariano and Ricky had great chemistry as best friends.

Hope there's more shirtlessness coming from Mike. He's been so underutilized.
 

I was completely surprised by Mariano's death.

My husband and I laughed when Mike took that shirt off.

Is the new crime boss (Patrick?) played by the same actor who was Adriana's padrino in Amores Verdaderos?

There must be some time jump coming, because it seems like JL is in the coming attractions with wild long hair.
 

Thanks for another wonderful recap, Adriana. I so enjoy your recaps and hope that you'll share your incredible writing talent with us again soon.

I'm disappointed that the writers decided to knock off Mariano. The extent of his wounds didn't sound all that life threatening:

"The bullet perforated his liver and other organs."

A normal day in the ER.

I laughed right along with JL when the newscaster announced that Sammy was taken out by an arrow to the head.

By the way, Leo used a regular bow and arrow, not a crossbow to kill Sammy. I wouldn't think that it would be illegal to possess those but to shoot someone with them certainly would be. I doubt that there's enough time left to pursue this line.

Even with Sammy dead, there's still some suspense left... Who's Raquel's babydaddy? What happened to Rick's scarf? Will Ricky beg Inez to make love again? Will Cousin Carmelo ever get that cigarette lit?

Must see TV?

Carlos
 

Mariano & Jackie didn't kiss as far as I know. I think he was struggling with his sexual feelings, which is what he told either Piero or Ricky last night. I think he had been struggling all along b/c that's why he & Jackie needed to go their separate ways.
 

Or the big question: Why does Oriana resemble Palomita so much?
 

Looks like we only have to suffer through 5 more episodes. ¡Gracias a Dios!
Pobre Padre,QEPD & he didn't even get past wet dreams.
I like Mrs Joaquin, I think she could have run the organization, tough lady.



 

Anyone know the book
Factory of Dreams by Stefan Ruiz?

I cked it out on Amazon but at $45.
I want to know if it's worth it. Seems to be mostly photography inside Televisa novelas.
 

Adriana. Thank you for recapping. I did a lot of FF>> during this episode so you filled in a lot of gaps.

I laughed out LOUD when Leo reached for his bow and arrow. When you wrote that he hit Sammy in the head, the first image I had was of Steve Martin with that gag "arrow through the head" bit he always did and I'm laughing all over again!!

Too bad about Pad Plaid. That was sad but he probably didn't wanna stick around through the end.
 

Urban, having that meeting in the middle of nowhere was ridiculous, but I guess it was on the way to the airport or something.

Vivi, ditto about Piero dieing. He has no story, he is all alone, we really have no use for him.

Traveling lady, I think that deep down Ric knows that he's acting wrong, but he's such a hot head. He can't accept the fact that JL was first in Oriana's life and a guy with his character would never accept it, no matter what he says. If JL has the luck to live and get some help for his craziness, I bet Ric will learn to deal with it, but that's just a novela trick - in real life that almost never happens.

Fatima, IT IS just a telenovela, like many others that I watched while crying my eyes out. We get attached to these make believe people, I guess that only means that we are human. And, besides, a good cry never hurt anyone. :)

Niecie, I found the last scene of Mariano and Ric really touching. They were one of the best couples of the story, much better than Ric and Oriana, in my opinion.

LN, I was laughing along with you when Mike took off his shirt. No bullet proof vest for him, huh?

Carlos, I only got a glimpse of Leo's weapon. I couldn't have guessed what it really was even if someone hit me in the head with it, so thanks for the clarification.

Paquita, I didn't know about Steve Martin's gag, but I did think about Robin Hood when I saw Leo. Why was he there in the first place and with such an unusual weapon? I guess we'll never know.

 

Adriana, Thank you so much for your wonderful recaps!

Variopinta...the book Factory of Dreams by Stefan Ruiz is available used from various seller through Amazon too. You just need to click on the area where it says "Used from $" and a menu with all of the options will come up. I do this all the time with books that I'd like to own but don't want to pay full price for.
 

I saw that Barbara but I have heard of horror stories about condition of the book.
 

Vivi,

"I could have easily accepted Piero or someone else being the sacrificial lamb."

and Adriana,

"Vivi, ditto about Piero dieing. He has no story, he is all alone, we really have no use for him."

Yikes! but I'm inclined to agree with you guys. I'd swap Piero (whose not quite so creepy these days) for Mariano in a heartbeat.

Carlos
 

Carlos, Yikes, indeed, but the poor padre actually had a story arc. All Piero had was a creepy affection for Fabiola.
Also, I couldn't believe that Ric didn't call Piero immediately to tell him what was going on with Mariano. He called Lucina instead to ask her for clothes??
 

Thanks Adriana. I'm going to miss your recaps. Sorry I'm posting so late but I just had to comment on my favorite passage:

"The next morning, Fidelia is upset because the news about Marilocked up is now in the press. Ric tries to calm her down and we really don’t have the time for her whining now. Next!"

After the way Maricoo coo treated her, she's either an idiot or a glutton for punishment for sympathizing with Marilu.
 

Adriana Noel, you are absolutely right. It IS a TN, but thank you for agreeing that it's OK to cry. I'm telling ya, a good cry is what we all need every now and then. :))

Fatima...who cried at losing our beloved Padre Plaid.
 

Adriana,
Thank you so much for all your work recapping MPV, especially since this TN lost its luster a long time ago.

I am sorry I couldn't comment more, but this hour is when I can do so lately due to work demands, so mostly I just read and giggled to myself. Many, many thanks!

I had just been thinking that the body count has been low lately in MPV, but I was not expecting Mariano to die. I was saddened as well. It does seem that they often will 'off' a good person, or one whom it doesn't seem fair that they die, in the last week. I can think of AB (Augustina) and LQNPA (Miguel) as other examples. It's all about manipulating our emotions for the grand finale.

I didn't laugh at Mike taking his shirt off, although it was both comical and engrossing. I guess engrossing won out. I did burst out laughing at the coinky-dink of Pretty Ricky standing in in the hospital hallway as it just so happens they wheel his best buddy by on the way from the ER to the OR. Sure. That happens everyday.

One thing about Mariano. He was a pretty crier and a pretty die-er.

Interesting, Carlos, that you said a liver gunshot wouldn't be fatal. Here I was thinking what was fakey was that he lived long enough to make it to the hospital and say his pretty goodbyes, but that just goes to show how little I know. It's great to have your commentary.

One thing that I have appreciated about this TN is that after a fistfight, people are actually injured. In QBA, where we were treated to fistfight after fistfight, night after night (fistfights just drive the ladies wild, donchya know), no one ever had more than a little scrape or two for an episode or two. It was ridiculous, as was much of that show.


 

Gracias, Adriana! For this and all your recaps. I've enjoyed your humor :) Congratulations on making it to the end, and I'm really glad you got Stripper!Mike, cause nothing says "thank you for all your hard work" like a guy needlessly ripping his shirt off!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder