Friday, October 10, 2014

La Gata #30 Fri 10/10/14- La Grabación

Tonight seemed explosiva...or at least there were a few chispas.

Mariano's Opening Credit Tears-Explained!
Big brother convinces Pablo that he needs to marry Monica because daddy dear is in deep doo doo and only the social support of the Elizalde's (or some such name) will help. Later Mariano moans about what a bad brother he is. He's in love with the same woman as his little brother! And he convinced his little brother to marry a woman he doesn't love so Esme will be freed up for him! He can finally look at her as a woman and not as a sister-in-law!


Like a Good Puppet, Pablo is there!
Monica's parents are having misgivings, though. Thanks to Augie's legal woes, they are really getting cold feet about the wedding. Monica refuses to entertain canceling the wedding. The only way she is going to cancel the wedding is if Pablo himself cancels it.

A few scenes later Jarocha reads a published wedding announcement to Esme. Monica and Pablo will marry in a few weeks. Esme faints. When she recovers, her biggest concern is for her children. What will become of them! Fernando insists Pablo will end up marrying her!

Rapid-fire Repetition Signifying Nothing
Jarocha runs right over to Pablo and starts in on him. Unfortunately all that speed talking was wasted breath. She didn't say anything important like "that old guy is her dad" or "those babies are yours." She just kept saying Esme was honorable and Pablo was a jerk.

This is the Big One, Isabel
Rita and Ines get into a fight. Rita wants Ines to respect her house, and Ines refuses. This provokes a heart attack from Rita. And this time it seems for real. Ines ignores her and leaves. When Maria returns home, she's concerned enough to call Esme. Esme says she'll rush right over. Fernando says he'll come too. Rita knows her time is near. Fernando convinces Esme and Maria to wait for the ambulance outside. Once they are gone, Rita wants to him something important. He takes advantage of the privacy to ignore Rita several times and shush her every time she wants to tell him something important. SHUT UP FERNANDO! He asks Rita to not tell Esme that he is her father.

Outside the jacal, Esme and Maria worry about Rita. Esme admits Rita maybe wasn't so nice, but she was all Esme had. Esme is too good to be true.

PSA: According to the doctor, Rita is elderly and needs a special diet: vitamins, minerals, supplements.

Would the Real Rita Please Stand up?
With a nod to Reina recapper NovelaMaven who used a similar heading this week.

With death just around the corner, Rita decides maybe she should get her accounts straight. She tells Esme she has been horrible to her. Esme thinks it was just her destiny. Rita repeats that Esem has no idea how terrible Rita was to her. Jarocha tries to leave, bur Rita asks her to stay. Rita hates that Esme is unhappy. Rita also insists that Pablo and Esme will end up together. Esme says all she needs are the babies and Rita reminds her they deserve to have a name. Rita thinks her punishment is to die like a dog. This may be the real thing folks. She seems sincere!

Read between the lines, Dimwit
Augie tries to give Pablo a check, and he turns it down. He wants to make his way in the world on his efforts...just like dear old dad who is so ethical and upstanding. Dear ol' dad advises him to marry rich Monica and manage her money wisely. The conversation turns to FDLSC and his legal case against them. Pablo is convinced that the prestige of the MN name and a united family front will win out in the end.

He's Alive!
Esme and Jarocha talk outside Rita's room. Esme tells Jarocha if Rita goes, she won't have anyone. Jarocha lets slip that she has her dad...and has to talk quick to cover it up. Well, didn't Esme say he was still alive?

The Last Job
Ines and the Garabato gang are up to their usual switch and bait. Only this time it gets real. Real, real. The mark has a gun and so does Garabato. But it's not firearms that bring them down...it's a beating and someone brought a knife, too. So Garabato and the boys beat the tar out of the mark and at some point the mark gets stabbed in the kidney area. Garabato and the gang make a run for it. Garabato tells Ines to hurry and get in the car, but Ines does have a soul and she can't leave the man there to die.

Unfortunately, the police arrive and she gets arrested.

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds...but Rita and her love of money has them beat!
Esme asks Rita if she thinks her dad is still alive. Rita tells her he is very much alive. He's a gentleman of the highest order and of good name (alcurnia). Esme hopes it's true. She would like her children to know a grandparent that wasn't a demon from hell (loose translation.) Rita says again that Pablo will marry Esme. Esme tells Rita that won't happen. Rita was right when she said Pablo was scum. About that, Rita says...turns out Pablo did send you a ton of letters. Rita sold them to Augie. Rita wants Eseme's forgiveness.

Don't get too excited, Viewerville
I really can't believe my TV survived this scene. I mean, seriously? The truth finally comes out and our leading lady decides to be stoic and defeatist. Oh my cheeses. I should go back and watch the scene and get the words right, but I just can't take it a second time. Basically, Esme shrugs off the news and says "well, Pablo and I both were stubborn SOBs and our time has passed. We've had all this time we could have cleared things up, but neither was willing to forgive the other." Ok. She does have a point, but c'mon!!!

Maybe I should try plan B
FDLSC is a little worried. The wedding is only a few days away. He promised Esme that Pablo would marry her!! Since plan A didn't work, maybe he should try something else. He'll call Augie and tell him that he'll drop the legal action and give up trying to get back what Augie stole if Augie will call off the wedding.

I've got no heading, but man they made me laugh
Breakfast at the MNs. Lorenza and Monica are all smiles. Pablo and Monica's parents look like somebody died. I don't even know if anything important was said I was laughing too much. Monica's dad wants to talk to Augie alone. Lorenza and Monica bleat about their happy wedding delusions.

In the study, Monica's dad tells Augie about his misgivings. He doesn't want his daughter marrying the son of a thief. Um? What? Everyone knew Augie took advantage of FDLSC's situation to steal from him. Yes! That's what he said! If everyone knew it, then why did FDLSC rot in jail for 20 years?????? Augie thinks that everyone will regret doubting his innocence. Monica's dad hopes it turns out Augie is innocent, but if Augie is guilty he'll make sure Monica divorces Pablo. Not only that, if Augie turns out to be guilty, Monica's dad will become his enemy.

Deathbed confession
Jarocha records her confession. She received money from Pablo's parents to separate them. We made up all kinds of lies. Oh, and the babies are yours. They do not belong to the Paremesan Sleaze (™tofie). Rita finished up and she and Jarocha discuss getting it to Pablo before the wedding can take place.

I'm innocent!
Ines swears she is innocent. The police officer tells her the victim is still in the hospital and has said she was part of the gang that attacked him. Ines says the victim was trying to to rape her when the gang showed up. The police officer says she'll have her chance to make her statement, but if she's caught in a lie she's done for. He advises her to rat out her buddies or she'll face the robbery and attempted murder charge alone. And if the guy dies, it's murder!

You've got to hear this!
Jarocha shows up at the MN mansion as Pablo and Monica come home from jogging. Pablo tries to send her away, but she insists he listens to this recording. After that, he can do what he wants...but he needs to know the truth!! He takes the phone.

Avances
That phone had video capabilities?
The truth is out!
Pablo confronts Esme!

Previous: Episode 29
Next: Episode 31

Labels:


Comments:
So help me God, if Esme denies those children belong to Pablo...
 

Excellent account, Sara! So we go from days of lots of useless talk and almost no action to one evening of drama, drama, drama!

Pablo did look stunned in the freeze frame ending. Will he be able to think enough to understand the new info? Will Rita survive? Will Pablo play the video for his family?
 

I thought tonight's avances were excellent. No sound effects. Just close ups and facial expressions. Just enough to really heighten the suspense.

Do you hear that avances monkeys?
 

Wow, great recap Sara--Even your headings were inspired! I got some good laughs especially your trademark attribution to Tofie for "Parmesan Sleeze".

So Rita, dying, has never looked so good. The nurses must have washed her hair and face and given her a comb. While she was at it, why didn't she tell that Blanca was Gata's mom? And by the way Fernando...next time a dying person tries to tell you a secret why don't you shut up and LISTEN?

Okay, I couldn't believe Esme just blew off the confession that Rita and Augie intercepted all the love letters. Shaking my head in disbelief. Wonder what Pablo will say?

No Principe sightings since Monday--has anyone else seen him? Kitty, kitty.

J in Oregon
 

Is La Gata about to end in Mexico (por favor!)? So how many more episodes do we have to 'watch'?
 

Gracias, Sara! I'm soooo with you on everything!

"SHUT UP FERNANDO!" Yes! Dying old ladies get to talk first. That's just common sense. Same with Jarocha and Esme deciding Rita was delirious...so what!!! She's sick, dying, she feels awful, she wants to spill so she can feel better. Unless you WANT her to keep feeling terrible, there's no reason not to just listen, nod, and roll your eyes behind her back.

"The truth finally comes out and our leading lady decides to be stoic and defeatist." In my rewrite of this scene, she immediately goes to Pablo and says "We've been playing games long enough. I'm not here to try to get you to break off your engagement, just to tell you the truth. I just found out that your parents and Rita conspired to keep us apart, which is why we suddenly had email problems. Rita's dying, though, so if you want her to confirm this you're going to have to visit her quickly. Also, even though at first I just assumed you knew, now I'm not so sure, so I'm going to tell you--the babies are yours. We can do a DNA test if you want to confirm it. Honestly, I think you've been enough of a jerk to me lately that I don't really want to get back together with you, but you do need to have the right to see your kids and help raise them." I know. Never gonna happen.

Last night, the Mr. and I went out...big shock, I know...to see Cruzar la Cara de la Luna, which is a mariachi opera. It's been done in Houston, Chicago, Paris, and now Phoenix. Next weekend it will be in Tucson. I don't know where else they're planning on taking it, but If you get a chance to see it, I highly recommend it. The story involves a dying patriarch and a family secret, the cast is wonderful, and the music is all new but has the feel of familiarity, especially if you're a fan of mariachi music.

And now I'm off for a day of rehearsals to kick off this week of preparing to re-mount American Dreamer in Tucson next weekend. I'll be checking in when I can and I believe La Paloma will be subbing on Wednesday and Thursday (correct me if I have the days wrong!).
 

Thanks, Sara. Who knew that Rita would turn toward the light at the end.? I think I might miss this scrawny, wily little weasel.
 

Ah, KAt..once again..you are way to logical and pragmatic to be a telenovela writer. It' s like trying to deal with my ex soninlaw..Logic is wasted.
 

Too not to
 

A great recap ending for the week Sara, perfecto. Your reference to Sanford and Son's this is the Big One and tying it into Rita was really a hoot. I must say that a heart attack isn't funny but Rita tied together with Fred Sanford's
never ending this is the Big One was really good for a morning laugh.

I also had to chuckle when Pablow
turned down daddy's check because he wants to make his own way in the world on his efforts, just like dear old dad who is so ethical and outstanding. Gringo asks---is Kool Aid served at the Negrete mansion?

Wow!!! So Rita comes clean. I can't believe it, is she really on her way out or maybe the writers are giving us a false alarm.

Ines did it this time---she's in BIG trouble. If she turns states evidence, she might get off but that would put her entire gang in jail. When they get out, well, you can imagine what would happen to Ines. The only thing she could do is take a long bus ride to ???

So Jarocha gives the video recording to Pablow to listen to.
That's risky. I would never have done that. What if Pablow got angry after he heard it and smashed it on the cement? There goes all of the evidence. What if he decided to keep it to show his parents and one of them destroyed it? Not very smart on Jarocha's part I would say.

Monica's outfit matching blue necklace was almost as big as her neck, gaudy I would say.

I was watching Hasta El Fin Del Mundo last night and Alexa wore a
quite large silver colored necklace. Are big necklaces in vogue? Maybe it's just me preferring a smaller more dainty look.
the gringo
 

Love the headings Sara.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds...but Rita and her love of money has them beat!"

At least Rita didn't die before spilling them beans. I watched La Impostora and every time someone was at deaths door they'd die without disclosing anything.

I totally get why Esmeralda cares not one wit knowing the truth. When Pablo returned from NY and went looking for her, he ran away when he saw her. He's been a butthole since.

Fernando - wonder if Bill Belichick would help me with second half adjustments

Rita - and that time you thought your hamster got out of it's cage and we had soup that night....

Lorenza - mule collar necklace

Pablo - quick, how much is a loaf of bread

Jarocha - can I use the Segway next trip

Monica's dad - Augie, don't tell anybody but I dye my hair

Ines - that's what I get dating a bad boy from the other side of the dump

Esmeralda - egads, did Augie get access to my nudie pics in iCloud

 

Sara - Thanks for the laughs and the details. My favorite: Like a Good Puppet, Pablo is There

When Esme fainted, I thought "Pregnant? - And again Viewerville never got a prior clue that they had sex?" But surely not.

I think I might miss this scrawny, wily little weasel.

Like Susanlynn, Rita's despicableness has grown on me. I could watch a pilfered candlestick falling out of her dress again and again. But, writers, do whatever you have to do to stop her from moving into the mansion.
 

I'll admit, Niecie...I had the same fleeting thought.

Rita was vile, but she thinks her time is near and she's trying to make things right. I will give her points for that. If only we can get her to tell FDLSC about Blanca!

It has been a while since we saw Principe...but I seem to recall the monkey went AWOL on CI.
 

Principe will be back. The writers
wouldn't take him away from us would they? They better not or an army of blistering emails will be finding their way to Televisa.
the gringo

 

Wow, I would have thought that the major reveals and your great recap would have generated more comments than have thus far been submitted. Maybe everyone had a busy weekend like I did. Great job, Sara!

I don't understand Augie's reasoning with going ahead with the wedding knowing that 1) everyone seems to know with a fair degree of certainty about Augie's illegal escapades, and 2) Monica's dad says that if it is true, he will become Augie's enemy.

So Rita is coming clean as she thinks she is approaching death's door? Or maybe her prior life was how she reacted to being chronically malnourished and living on the edges of society. Maybe if she would have had her daily three hots and a cot she would have been a saintly grandmother figure? Naah. That even tasted bad even thinking about it.

5ft, I enjoyed your plot very much, and it is something very much like what I would like to happen. However, like Susanlynn, I feel that it would bring a precipitous and happy ending to our little adventure. The sponsors would be howling.

With Mariano's motives revealed, and our recollection of how he willingly did his parents' nefarious bidding before he had an emotional attachment to Esme, we begin to see the depths he is willing to go to get his way. Somewhere along the line this pygmy soul of his is going to tear him apart, I hope.

Poor deluded Monica. I hope there will blue skies and fair weather in your future when you finally take the blinders off and give yourself some credit for being an intact, good human being, and not some apostrophe to someone else's life.

Thanks again, Sara. This was a great recap of a great episode.

David


 

David..well, some of my comments disappeared. I found a site that lists many complaints from people who downloaded the latest Apple updatela...ah ha. Now I know why.
 

David,
Maybe we are all so impactada that we are speechless (commentless). I do count on the comments for my Gata "fix" during the weekend so glad to see yours this morning.

I still have hopes that Mariano is a decent sort and will be fully redeemed by the writers. I have no sense yet if the writers are going to start killing people off, or if this will be a fairly bloodless novela. Lorenza is capable and has the intense hatred to set of a killing spree. I hope Rita recuperates and miraculously starts working for Esme's good.

J in Oregon
 

Hi, J in Oregon,

Yeah, I like to read the comments over the weekend to keep me going until 7 PM on Monday too.

I can't quite decide where Mariano is going with his conflicted self. Your idea that he may be redeemed certainly is a real possibility, but I think he will at least veer further to the dark side for a while even if he turns good in the end.

Killing people off? Oh dear Lord I hope not, but on the other hand, it might fit in as evil people project their self interest into the future.

David
 

Sara- The recap was fabulous! Quite a lot happened this episode, I wanted to wait till I actually watched it, but I never got around to it this weekend. Perhaps tonight. Can't wait to find out what Esme says to Pablo about the babies.
 

Yeah, Tofie got it right about Ines dating a guy from the wrong side of the dump. I wonder where the Ines story is going? She doesn't seem to be a good person or at the very least she can be easily led astray. Whatever it is with her, it will be interesting to see how or where she ends up.

Right David, I was thinking the same thing. A great episode on Friday and a super recap and only 17 weekend comments? Everyone must be busy baking pumpkin pies.
Well what else can it be? Anyway I'm glad that it's Monday, I will be front and center tonight.
the gringo

 

Rehearsals. Four more to go and then, ready or not! I'm glad it's a show I've done before. And glad I have actual lines and don't just say the same thing over and over again!

Sometimes I forget to give the actors enough credit for doing their best to really "sell" the drivel they've been given. I imagine it must be frustrating to think you've signed on for a certain role and watch that slip away a little bit more every day. Especially for someone like Daniel Arenas, who was probably told he'd be the "galan" and he'd make some mistakes, but totally make up for it by the end--he's watching his character act like a total tool and he can't 100% embrace it because we're not supposed to hate Pablo, we're supposed to want him to get back together with Esme--so he's stuck not playing "good" or "evil" just "stupid". Pilar, the actress playing Rita, on the other hand doesn't have to sell her redemption in order for the story to work, so she could just have a good time and make Rita completely despicable. And then you have the actors playing Augie and Lorenza, who are trying to be "evil" but the characters have been written as bad-but-ineffectual. That's not only difficult for them to pull off, but puts an extra burden on Daniel and Maite, because it requires them to play Pablo and Esme as somewhat stupid to help convince us of Augie and Lorenza's eviltude.

Speaking of inconsistencies...it's quite a shift, to go from Principe being carted around everywhere to now being completely absent. Maybe he needed some personal space, but I find it odd that he's not constantly hanging around Esme when she's in the house, following her around, rubbing his pheromones on every single piece of furniture.
 

After working with Nathalie Latoodle and her writing team on Corazon Indomable and Cuidado con el Angel, Daniel and Maite had have known exactly what they were getting themselves into. You don't do Nathalie's tns because you want a quality/meaty role. You do it because you love the work (or to work), and her tns have a following of very loyal fans.
 

Vivi, I hadn't considered that. If they're having a good time, more power to them. I guess I'm thinking of it from my own perspective and not theirs. I don't think I could settle for having the quantity of work, but not the quality.
 

Unless Pablo gets a job and actually starts feeding himself, Esmeralda and those babies, he is not redeemable. His life plan is to make a lot of promises, talk some big game but marry a woman with money and live like a king. Matters not if it is Monica's cash or Esmeralda's. He's not stupid but is lazy and self righteous.
 

I don't know why they're resorting to that lately. Having a "flawed" hero is one thing, but they keep making them irredeemable lately. They don't grow up, they don't change, they just stop being jerks long enough for a big wedding in the Gran Final. And, yes, I keep watching. Because I keep hoping this time it will be different. And sometimes it is. And sometimes the payoff doesn't come from the "main" story, but all the delightful things going on with the secondary characters.
 

I am almost always watching for secondary stories and have been since TdA lol.
 

Pablo is still riding his attention he paid Esmeralda when they were children. Oh, I say attention, what he did was read to her and show her some words but that was for his benefit, like feeding a stray he felt sorry for because it could never live with him.

In CI, though Octavio was a dim bulb, I still liked him. I thought he was the one nuts to want Maricruz back after her near disaster with that playboy painter. In this one I can't get enough of Esmeralda (want her to live a little) and it Pablo I cannot stand when he is on screen.

 

Thanks Sara, great meaty recap. I was busy with out of town company this weekend and just had a chance to catch up. I too was surprised with the low number of comments. But I found most of them enjoyable and enlightening. Sometimes on weekends after all the good stuff has been said the only thing left is to start complaining about what we don't like. So, longer in number isn't always better.
 

Maybe Principe is missing for the safety of the babies? I doubt he would harm them, but maybe just too many characters to wrangle at the moment?

 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder