Friday, October 02, 2015

Weekend Discussion: Viva Italia!


Italian Culture, Cinema, and Cuisine

Muchacha Italiana Viene a Casarse is creating such lively discussions lately I thought it appropriate to have a weekend topic devoted to all things Italian. This is such a big topic that detail will be impossible, so I'll just bring up the main points and let the rest of you contribute. What Italian things do you love?

Art and Architecture

How many Italian artists and sculptors can you name? How do you feel when you look at their work? Is there anything else as perfect as 

 
Michaelangelo's Pietà or David


 As Botticelli's Primavera


 Or da Vinci's The Virgin of the Rocks?


Donato Bramante was the leader in Italian Renaissance architecture.whose design for St Peter's Basilica was executed by Michaelangelo:


Later, he designed the cloister of Santa Maria della Pace (facade shown here):




Language

Thanks to going to the opera – and to watching this series – my comprehension is increasing daily. How can you not love the sound of Italian? It's a language of romance, passion, poetry, open vowels, and lots of zzzz's in some nouns:

paparazzi
pizza
ragazza

and the rhythm of the language is so naturally musical there is so much variety in


Music

Opera: Italy is the birthplace of and still reigns supreme over this ultimate collaborative art form. Back in 1573 a bunch of intellectuals – including the father of Galileo – got together to discuss an attempt at reviving what they thought happened in ancient Greece on the theatrical stage. They came up with the seeds of opera and eventually in 1597 the first opera – Dafne by Giacopo Peri – was performed. Alas, we don't have this to listen to anymore, but many generations of Italian composers and librettists have made up for it. Here are some spectacular (and complete) examples of their work:


Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni

Tosca by Giacomo Puccini


Rigoletto by Giuseppi Verdi (1994, La Scala)


Film Soundtracks: Nino Rota comes to mind as one of the greatest film score composers of the last century. He scored a number of Federico Fellini's films including La Strada, La Dolce Vita, 8 ½, Amarcord, and Giulietta delgi Spiriti. His English-language film scores include Romeo and Juliet (1968) and The Godfather (1972).





Popular Music: In the 50s and 60s during the golden age of Italian cinema there were Italian-American singers who gave us some truly memorable songs in Italian that most of us have heard in Mafia movies since then. These two are gone now but their legacy survives on Youtube:





Cinema: The titles mentioned above are a small fraction of the output of Italian cinema during its golden age. That was also the era of the Sword and Sandal films and the Spaghetti Western where director Sergio Leone gave us our most iconic images of perhaps the greatest American star of westerns, Clint Eastwood. These films also had memorable music by Ennio Morricone. Other directors from this era include Luchino Visconti (Senso, The Leopard, Death in Venice) who also directed theatrical and opera productions and Pietro Germi who is probably best known here for Divorzio all'Italiana (1961). The music in Muchacha reminds me of the music in this film:




Actors : Italy does produce some incredibly gorgeous people, doesn't it? I don't think more needs to be said:


 


Cuisine: Some of us are just old enough to remember that there was a time when there were places in the US where you couldn't buy Progresso food products or imported canned tomatoes or pasta. That's all over now that Italian food is barely ethnic here anymore. Barilla Pasta, which appeared in Fiorella's suitcase in the customs inspection scene, is now the premiere pasta in America. It even tastes good plain.



Do you have great Italian recipes to share? Times you specifically crave or eat Italian foods? Does watching Clemenza make pasta sauce in The Godfather make you head for the kitchen to make meatballs and sausage and peppers? Does watching a Fellini film make you hungry for pizza on the piazza? Does hearing the drinking songs from Cavalleria Rusticana or La Traviata make you head for the wine cellar?


Wine: Non c'è vita senza vino.


Chianti? Bardolino? Valpolicella? Lambrusco? Orvieto? Trebbiano? Pino Grigio?

Fess up or your stool pigeon will rat you out!


Now that I've gotten to the end of this article I realize I have to schedule a dinner for my opera club at -- where else? -- Rossini's in NYC.  Wish you could all join us:




Labels: ,


Comments:
Wow, just wow, Urban! No time to say more just yet, but this post is truly a work of art that contains works of art. I studied Italian for two years because of my love of opera, traveled to Italy and dated a guy from Bologna and a guy from Sicily. My adventures in Spanish came much later.
 

And..... my work of art is destroyed by this site's refusal to put the photos and videos where I want them. This is frustrating.

However, I am still determined to learn Italian.
 

Urban, this is just great! You always come up with fascinating topics. I confess: Yes, I have had my dalliances with the Italian language over the years!
 

One more thing about Italian. I still remember going to a movie starring Marcelo Mastroianni, I believe it was Ginger and Fred, and having the thrilling experience of not needing to look at the sub-titles at all. His Italian was so clear, so perfectly pronounced, that every word was distinct. As all of us who study languages well know, most native speakers don't enunciate that clearly, run words together, etc. Not Marcelo.
 

I wonder whether Marcello ever acted on the stage. Most of the established Televisa actors are stage players so their Spanish pronunciation is very easy for me to follow.

In opera it's quite commonplace for non-native speakers to enunciate other languages clearly as they sing. A lot of the good Wagnerian singers today are not native speakers of German. Everyone sings in Italian because without that you can't really have much of an opera career.
 

Mille grazie, Urban! This is just FANTASTIC! I'm going to go through this post and enjoy this labor of love! I can't even come up with a response as enjoyable as your original post. I love the language and if we had the exposure to Italian as we have to Spanish, I would probably be an emerging Italian speaker! There is not as much opportunity to listen to and enjoy this beautiful language which holds an attraction for me as does Spanish and Portuguese. Why? Why do I need a reason!? Again, I am not qualified to even list examples but the music I have heard, I love and the memories go back to childhood.

Here's a little ditty we learned in music class in elementary school. We used to learn several songs from cultures around the world and, if this isn't Italian, y'all correct me: Funiculì Funiculà We learned it in English and it always made me happy!

Here it is by Luciano Pavorotti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTSAZAHiOa8 and
Andrea Bocelli https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG4SbelgIFk

Now. There is a group of young cutie pies with thunderous, melodic, moving voices that I loved from the moment I heard them: Il Volo! Here's their

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbtTjg8XzmTeeVjIeg8ksBQ

Web site: http://www.ilvolomusic.com/en/ (Wow! They've got a new album and I've bought every one!)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ilvolomusic

And these guys, a quartet, Il Divo, are sublime as well! http://www.ildivo.com/us/home

But back to Il Volo, when I was a little girl I used to try to sing O Sole Mio, not understanding the words but LOVING the HEART and SOUL in that song. I LOVE their version of O Sole Mio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcrkUW4mN7o Ahhhhhh!

Another "old" song I loved and tried to sing (even do now) is Santa Lucia, Here it is by Andrea Bocelli: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOXS_Giojgc

Another song I remember from when I was a little girl is Volare Check out Domenico Modungo's appearance on Ed Sullivan. This man is putting his HEART and SOUL into this song and he means every last word! I LOVE this, I LOVE when an artist just gives him/herself to his/her art and to the audience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4IjJav7xbg

Yeah. That's what I love in these examples: SOUL that speaks to my SOUL!

Mille grazie sorellina carita e erudita, Urban! Mille grazie!


 


Here's an irony for you all: If Cristobal Colon had gotten his backing from the Medicis or the Borgias instead of the Spanish royals, our novela might be called:

Una Ragazza Spagnola Viene a Sposarsi!
 

HA! Good one, Urban!
 

Recommend the delightful Italian film Bread & Tulips which takes place in Venice (for the most part).
 

Sorry for misspelling the name of one of my very favorite actors. Of course it's Marcello, not Marcelo.
 

Oooo! I love this post! I love all things Italian. :-)
 

The restaurant I posted has opera singers on Saturday nights. The waiters are all in black tie. Vittorio would either love it or think it's stiff competition!

I do make excellent meatballs. Beef, pork, Italian seasoning blend, bread crumbs, egg, and freshly ground pepper. Fry in olive oil and garlic to brown on all sides before adding to the pot of tomato sauce. Sorry to say I don't make that from scratch because I don't often make huge quantities, so I typically mix two types together, like garlic and onion + basil.

When Italian sausage is on sale I pick up a package along with some beautiful bell peppers and onions and hero sandwich bread. Perfect combination for watching good mob movies.
 

Wonderful post, Urban, and love it when you write about opera or recipes. You truly bring the heart and mind of an artist to everything that you do.

I love the sound of Italian and wish the language were more of a factor world-wide. But it is Spanish that has spread to so many nations. So...not being a genius...I only have the time and energy to add one more language to my little kit bag. I sure haven't had much call for French or German around the Midwest.

But thank you for this and for all those wonderful pictures you bring to your No Creo en los Hombres recaps. You are a gift to so many. And much appreciated.
 

Thanks, Judy. I do my best and hope people will enjoy what I write.

I have the same wish about Italian that you do. It's so beautiful when well-spoken and it's such a natural fit to music that it's no surprise that it's the lead language of opera. With all the Regietheatre productions these days in that world I am hoping that some director decides to go retro soon and set something in the Renaissance again. With costumes and sets right out of the masters' paintings.

Now if Italy would also produce novelas, I'd want to see them!
 


UA--Wonderful weekend topic. Get me some good old Italian films, some good tortellini con pesto, and a bottle of chianti and you might find me in my new Italian-made easy chair.

Can't add much to a wonderful display of all things Italian. Let's not leave out architecture--Palladio (1508-1580), whose influence was immense far across the European continent and the North American seaboard. (See Jefferson's Monticello--aha!--you see, even he liked things Italian.) You must take a look at Wikipedia's entry: Architecture of Italy and get a quick overview, with photos of the whole history of Italian architecture, starting with the archeological remains of Greek and Etruscan architecture. Have fun.)

As for the influence of Italian on other languages, you only have to go as far as the River Plate area of South America. Italian immigrants to the Montevideo and Buenos Aires area influenced the lilt, pronunciation and vocabulary of the Spanish language which is still recognizable today as being significantly different from the Spanish spoken elsewhere in America Latina. Italian influence also extended to cuisine, the arts and music.
 

Excellent topic and fascinating list.

I love Michaelangelo's David as well as all Italian culture including art and opera.

"Does watching Clemenza make pasta sauce in The Godfather make you head for the kitchen to make meatballs and sausage and peppers?" Ummm, yes, it does. Sadly I am not a chef or even a cook, but Italian cuisine is delectable. I totally agree with your assessment of Barilla, which is my pasta of choice (sometimes I only use pepper with perhaps a small dollop of butter).

Thank you UA for yet another thoughtful topic that will have me daydreaming about Italy and everything and everyone it has to offer for the remainder of the day.

Diana
 

Thank you for the great topic, Urban.

I will 'second' Nanette's comment on the movie Bread and Tulips! I caught on cable in the middle of the night, several years ago, during an insomnia bout. To say it is a delightful movie is not doing it justice; it is funny, touching, and lovely, too. IIRC, there is a scene in which the TV is on the background, showing Corazon Salvaje '93!

Mmmm Italy ....

Gelato!
Biscotti!
Great food all around!
Wonderful wool fabrics!
Great design & designers on all parts, from architecture to clothing and shoes (like Ferragamo!)
Great art!

When I was in Pisa, fifteen years ago, THIS APRON was at all the souvenir stalls! LO!!! : http://www.amazon.com/Turundi-Michelangelos-David-Italian-Apron/dp/B00KG8NEKE
 

Doris--Naughty, naughty. That would be so distracting--on someone else, I might cut myself or add too much salt.
 

Urban,
I send my gratitude and sincere compliments for posting the most interesting and beautiful recap that I will save and cherish. The art, music and food, all my favorite in the world.

Remember that handsome man in a commercial that is touted as the most interesting man in the world? Well, imho I think you are the female version.

You lead a charmed life. I cant wait to try Rossini's.

Ava



 

Great topic Urban.

I wish I had more contact with the Italian language but I'm mostly only familiar with some of the Italian versions of pop singers from Italy who became popular in Mexico: Nek, Laura Pausini, Gianluca Grigniani, Franco de Vita, Tiziano Ferro, Eros Ramazzoti, etc.

I do remember I used to know some of the lyrics from Sarà Perché Ti Amo by Ricchi e Poveri from my dad's old cassettes and even now I still remember parts of it. That's funny because I was obsessed with Nek when I was 12 and there was a time when I tried to learn the full lyrics of Laura Non C'é but I can barely remember them now.

Jarocha
 

Wow, I'm glad you're all enjoying this topic and Ava, I am humbled by your tribute. I hope your comment holds weight when I put on my Opera 101 presentation to the cultural groups on Meetup (it's in progress).

I will admit to the architecture being an oversight; Donato Bramante is one of the giants of the Renaissance. I will post some photos of his masterpieces.
 

By the way, Italy also has a classic/niche perfume company called Santa Maria Novella whose lead fragrance was formulated in 1533 for Catherine de Medici. I'm on my fourth bottle of it and it is well worth the price!
 

Lovely lovely subject matter. It certainly brings out a better appreciation and excitement for one of many life's pleasure. I can hear it in the comments, laced with nostalgia of wonderful memories. Everyone has a story, it would be so nice to hear everyone's in greater detail. Thank you, Urban, again for creating such pleasant, respectful ambiance for all of us on all your recaps, and allow us share fragments of italian influences in our lives.

I am so picky about perfumes that I been looking for years, I can't wait to check out the one you like. The last fragrance that worked for me was Enigma by Alexandra de Markoff. It doesnt quite work for me anymore, perhaps my chemistry or it changed after the company was sold.

I am so hungry for Italian food now, I want to go out for pasta and pizza PLUS cook some meatball hero sandwiches with red wine.

Everyone have a great week.

Ava
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder