Friday, November 27, 2015

Pasión y Poder #17, November 26, 2015: Giving Thanks, or: Who's the real turkey around this table?


I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I had a chance to ask some of our characters what they were most thankful for on this Día de Acción de Gracias.  You can read their answers below in the recap.

Both Miguel and David suspect that there's something personal underlying their fathers' feud.  And they both fear that the conflict will have terrible consequences.

Despite his misgivings, Miguel tells Arturo he will help him take down Eladio.  But in the end, Arturo comes to his senses.  Attacking Eladio like that would bring Arturo down to the level of his enemy.  He begs Miguel to forgive him – what they need to do is figure out how to make their company grow.  Miguel agrees.  Arturo kisses his son's brow and gives him a real hug.


Miguel:  I'm thankful that my dad finally notices I'm alive.

David thinks his parents' problem is more serious than they are letting on.  Why are they sleeping in separate bedrooms?  Julia says sometimes couples need their space.  David disagrees.  If you really love someone, he argues, you have to fight for your relationship; distance only makes things worse.  [So who died and made David the relationship maven?]

When David leaves, Gaby tells her aunt that the situation is getting dangerous.  Julia agrees – that's why it's so important for her to see Arturo.  [Which makes no sense – unless, of course, what Julia wants is an excuse to see Arturo.]

Julia:  I'm thankful for my hair and my legs... oh, and also for my son.

Daniela is supposedly grounded, but she sneaks out to meet up with Joshua.  Does he still have those wedding invitations?  He does.  Well she talked to Regina, she says, and even though her sister is mad about what he did in Querétaro, she still loves him.  All she needs is a little push to get back together with him.  That's why Daniela thinks Joshua should send out the invitations.  When everyone knows about the wedding, Regina will feel she has to go through with it.  

Joshua likes the idea. [Because, as you will recall, he's a moron.]  But he's still a little uncertain.  After all, Regina was pretty upset with him.  Well yeah, says Daniela, only Joshua would think of crashing Regina's awards ceremony!  The thing to do now is to go slow.  And sending the wedding invitations – that should be their little secret.  When the wedding gifts start arriving, Regina will realize she should go back to him.  [Yeah, I know, no sense.  But the only one who has to believe it is Joshua.]

Daniela:  I give thanks for my amazing butt.  Obvio.

Franco pays a visit to Montserrat to claim credit – well, actually, cash – for convincing Julia to let her keep her job [though the Patio knows he had nothing to do with it].  He thinks they can help each other.  Montse can influence Eladio to make decisions in Franco's favor.  The two flash their well-defined cheekbones at one another, strike up an alliance and prepare to toast their new friendship.

Franco:  I'm grateful that I'm sooooooooooo smart.

Miguel and Regina compare notes.  Miguel says something very serious must have happened to trigger the fight between Eladio and Arturo.  "That's why I can't see David," says Regina.  That it's the correct decision doesn't make it any less painful.  "Sometimes two people, however much they love each, can't be and shouldn't be together," says David, looking moodily into the distance.  Regina, who isn't very intuitive, does pick up that David is mooning over someone, but she can't figure out who that someone might be.  [Come ON.  The guy's emotional horizons begin and end with the house.  It's either Petra, one of his sisters, his stepmother or Consuelo.  Think.]

Miguel tells her that his mysterious love is unaware of his feelings because she loves someone else.

Regina:  I'm thankful I'm nothing like my mother.  [But sometimes you're just as obtuse, sweetcheeks.]

Franco is getting an earful.  Montserrat is sloppy, slurry drunk and she is spilling her guts.  Big time.  She loves Eladio and would do anything for him.  "How long have you been together?" Franco asks.  "Three years."  She plops drunkenly in his lap.  "What we have together is serious – and I'm not going to throw it away."

Franco extricates himself from her grasp, pulling her legs off him.  He'll see what he can do to help.   Montserrat drinks to her new best friend.

Montserrat:  I'm grateful I'm such a great actress – I can crawl like a worm and bite like a snake. 

A moment later, Franco gets a message from Eladio and has to leave abruptly.  Guess what?  As soon as he's out the door, Montserrat is dead sober.  [See?  She IS a good actress!]  Eres un estúpido, Franco, she harrumphs.  "You think you're going to use me, but it's going to be the other way around."

Sneaky snaky Franco hangs out in front of Montserrat's building and takes photos of Erick as he enters.  No te amueles a mi padrino, Montserrat (Don't mess with my godfather), he says aloud, like a crazy person or a telenovela villain.

David meets Francisco for a drink.  He tells him how disappointed he is in Regina for giving up on their relationship so easily.  Francisco, the Voice of Reason [Junior Division], points out that Regina doesn't want to hurt her father.  And David, upon reflection, admits that Eladio's reaction would end up hurting his mother.

When Arturo knocks on Daniela's door, he gets no answer.  He tries to open the door and discovers it is locked.  Nina gently steers him away from the empty room. Daniela is probably sleeping, she says.  Arturo wants to tell her she has an appointment with the best addiction psychiatrist in the city.  Nina is using her indoor voice, the seductive yet sweetly child-like one that usually neutralizes Arturo's rational responses.  [It hasn't worked lately, but Nina isn't one to give up easily.]  She's been thinking... maybe Dany should see her old therapist.  He already knows her case.

Arturo disagrees, though he wouldn't mind talking to the therapist himself.  He'd like to know why he's recommending inpatient treatment.  Nina tells him the therapist didn't actually see Daniela...  Arturo gets upset.  "He didn't even see her or evaluate her personally – that seems pretty irresponsible!"  Nina admits she may have exaggerated a tad.  It's just that Daniela confessed to drinking heavily since her trip to Cancún.   Now Arturo is really upset.   He was against that trip in the first place!

Nina's voice isn't having its usual effect.  Maybe the lips?  She pulls him close and tries to work her magic.  And then his cellphone rings.  "Answer it," she says, smiling and wiping her lipstick from his face.  So he does.

Nina:  I'm thankful for... what a silly question!  Just LOOK at me!

"Arturo, it's me, Julia.  We have to talk."  They arrange to meet at the Foundation.  

Julia sees Eladio coming down the stairs.  She ends the call to Arturo quickly.  Eladio hears nothing, but he can tell she's nervous about something.  He asks if she's coming to bed.  She tells him she's waiting for David.  She's worried because he was upset when he left and he still hasn't returned home.  "He's not a little boy," says Eladio, holding out his arms for his wife.  [And I gotta say it – You're not wrong, dude.]

Franco walks in just then and hands some folders to his godfather.  "Here are the documents from your office." Julia takes the opportunity to escape upstairs.  Father and [unacknowledged] son head into the office.

Eladio wants to know who told his [repudiated son] David about the fight with Arturo.  He knows David doesn't trust Franco, but Gabriela does.  Franco is to find out what she knows.

Eladio:  I'm thankful for my jaw (though I still feel bad about my ears).

Daniela climbs into her window, then exits her room through the door and goes to see Arturo.  He tells her about the appointment with the shrink and assures her he'll go with her.  She's glad, she says, affecting the neglected daughter.  "Sometimes I think that my mom is the only one who cares about me (sniff), and that's why you two have been fighting so much lately."  She feels that nothing she does pleases him, and he's never going to love her as much as he loves Regina.  For example, she went to Querétaro to apologize to Regina and discovered that her sister had stolen her boyfriend...

At this point, Regina comes along and hears Daniela's accusation.  Dany sticks to her lie:  "You stole my boyfriend to get even for what happened with Joshua!" 

Well.  Regina is now livid.  [Even NovelaMaven is getting hot under the collar.] Pretty soon the three of them are screaming at each other.  [Mr. Maven walks into the den, sighs heavily, shakes his head and walks out.] Finally, Arturo has had enough.   Fighting over a guy? They are sisters! "In this house, we respect each other!  We respect the family!"  He pulls both girls into a hug.  Daniela glares at Regina, who pouts, but then melts into daddy's embrace.

Franco tries to jump Gabriela's bones right there in the little sitting room.  After she pushes him off her, he starts pressing her for information:  Eladio and Arturo had a fight and now Eladio and David and Julia are arguing.  Does Gaby know what's going on?  She says it's not something she can discuss – it's between her aunt and uncle.  He agrees, but adds:

Si supieras algo que pudiera perjudicarlos, tú me dirías, ¿verdad?
[If you knew something that could harm them, you would tell me, right?]

Regina admits to Arturo that she WAS seeing someone in Querétaro, though she broke it off, and the guy had been dating Daniela in Cancún; but she wasn't doing it out of spite.  She's not like Daniela!  In fact, she really was interested in the Querétaro guy – maybe it was their destiny to meet...

Arturo:  I'm grateful I'm the Alpha Male and that people take me seriously even when what I'm saying is outrageous BS.

Destiny, shmestiny says Arturo.  "Give yourself some time," he tells Regina, "and then later you can start another relationship – I'm talking from experience."  And then he burdens his already confused and troubled daughter with his secret.

"No one knows this, not even your mother, but I was about to marry an incredible woman.  You have no idea how much I loved her, but then we broke up."

"What happened?" Regina asks.

"I made a mistake and she never forgave me.  We separated, still loving each other so much..."

"Well if you were going to get married, you must have been very much in love."

"Yes.  I've never loved like that again.  Um, I mean, nobody falls in love the same way twice... I love your mother very much... um... after a disappointment like that, you're very vulnerable and you look for comfort wherever you can.  I think that's what is happening to you."  [Seriously, Arturo?  You think that putz Joshua was the Love of Her Life?  Maybe you have precisely the family you deserve.]

Regina thanks him for confiding in her.  Then she cedes her place to the next problem child, Erick.

Arturo rebukes his son for his infidelity.  If the doltish man-child needs his space, he should move back into his own apartment or go to therapy – or do SOMETHING!  And if he can't work things out with Consuelo, then he should get a divorce and then find another woman.  But not while he's still married!

"That's easy for you to say," retorts clueless Erick.  "You adore my mother, you've always gotten along with her and you've never looked at another woman."

Erick:  I'm grateful that I have never had to use public transportation.

Arturo practically hisses at him: "We're not talking about me, we're talking about you.  I won't permit you to have a lover, especially one involved with Gomez-Luna!"

But Erick insists it's not his fault.  What would Arturo do if he loved the same woman as his worst enemy?  [Tee hee]

"If I were in your place, I'd look out for my family.  I would make my marriage work in spite of myself.  THAT'S what I would do!"

Even doltish Erick isn't completely convinced by Arturo's answer.  But Arturo insists:  "There are some fights from which it is better to withdraw.  Make up with Consuelo, son."

When David nearly stumbles into a Franco-Gaby make out session, Franco scurries away, though not quite fast enough.  David has seen him.  Gaby tells David that she and Franco are now an item.  David admits that he and Franco don't see eye to eye, but if she's happy, he's happy.  She notices that he seems kind of down.  He tells her his romance in Querétaro didn't work out, and yes, he's sad about that, but he's also worried about his parents.  They were doing well and now they're fighting again.  He feels uneasy leaving them.  She promises she'll call him if things get ugly.

David asks Gabriela to do him a favor: she needs to listen for the name of Arturo Montenegro.  He's noticed that whenever Eladio and Julia fight, that name always seems to come up.  There is something they aren't telling him...

Oy vey.  Poor Maribel is trying to prepare her husband and daughter for her death – without telling them she is dying.  Now she assures her daughter Luisita that wherever she may be, she will always look after her.  Some people, she tells the little girl, become angels and are like stars in the sky... but it has to be a secret just between the two of them.  Okay?  

While Luisita is busy drawing a box to hold the precious secret, odious Gisela appears on her doorstep.  She wants to know Maribel's secret – she's very sick, isn't she?  That's news to Luisita, who cries piteously and asks her mommy if what the hag says is true.  Maribel angrily kicks out her busybody neighbor.

Francisco has some upsetting news for David.  He tells him that a friend invited him to a wedding – and the bride and groom are Joshua Solares and Regina Montenegro.  He shows David a photo of the invitation.  David doesn't take the news well.  Now he is sure that Regina was just using him to get back together with Joshua.  "And you know what?  Of the two sisters, Regina is the worst one!"  She and Daniela are probably laughing at him.  "But this isn't over!" (Esto no se va a quedar así.)

Julia, drop-dead gorgeous as always but a tad more daring than usual in her form-fitting red dress, has given this appointment some thought.  First she sends her secretary to the bank, telling her to call before she comes back (she might have another errand for her).  Then she takes out her compact and checks her makeup.  Ready.

And there is Arturo, in her office and standing much too close.  "What do you need?" he asks softly.  She hesitates, and then she begins to tell her story:

"I was never happy with Eladio." 

She explains that all those public displays of the happy couple were just a facade.  She is paying for the mistake of marrying Eladio without loving him.

"You never stopped loving me?" Arturo asks.

"I shouldn't have married Eladio.  I only did it out of ... out of spite.  And I've been very unhappy."

"So it's my fault!"

Julia isn't blaming him.  When she found out he was having a child with Susana, she felt desperate.  She just wanted to get even with him and forget everything.  And then Eladio confessed that he had always loved her.  

Arturo's words come rapidly and almost angrily:
"You married him and you're not happy.  Because of one stupid thing, my life was ruined, and yours was too.  I've never loved anyone but you.  I married Nina so Miguel would have a family and I would have a partner, but I haven't been happy."

"It wasn't your fault," insists Julia.  "I'm the one who decided to accept Eladio's proposal.  And later, when I started having doubts, he paid off my father's gambling debts and saved him from ruin and scandal.  And then I was obligated to him and he made me go through with it – you know how he is."

Arturo says he never knew what she had endured.

"And then, when he realized I still loved ... I mean, when he discovered I didn't love him, he started to treat me very badly."

"You don't mean he laid a hand on you?"

"No, there's no reason to talk about that now.  We're both married..."

"I've never stopped thinking about you," Arturo whispers, drying her tears.  "Don't cry."  He embraces her.  "Forgive me."

Cuernavaca, Morelos

Eladio has brought his father-in-law some special gifts: a box of Cuban cigars and a bottle of cognac.  At the old man's urging, he quickly gets to the point of his visit: lately Julia has been acting up and getting rebellious.  Humberto needs to get her under control (meterla en cintura).

Humberto knows his daughter well.  Something must have happened.  Eladio says there was just a misunderstanding with one of his female employees.  When his father-in-law expresses some reluctance to go along with him, Eladio says it's not a request – it's an order.  He must talk to his daughter.   Julia still respects and fears her father – even if he's not half the man he once was.

"Julia isn't as submissive as her late mother," protests Humberto.

"Back me up!" says Eladio, yanking the prized puro right out of the old man's mouth and then crushing it in his hand.  "Or all your privileges will come to an end."

Daniela is about to make a clean get-away when Regina comes running out of the house and pulls her out of her convertible.  Why did she lie to their father about what happened in Querétaro?  They snipe at each other.  Daniela's parting sally before tearing off down the driveway: "Don't forget – I always get what I want."

Regina is still gnashing her teeth when a familiar figure on a motorcycle approaches.   When she recognizes David, her face softens.  She is unprepared for what follows.

David is obviously furious.  "Now I understand perfectly what kind of woman you are!"

"What are you talking about?"

"You and your sister got together to make a fool of me!"

Regina is genuinely dumbfounded.  She tells David she'd never do a thing like that.  He says he knows she's getting married and he doesn't care.

Now she is really mystified.  "I'm getting married?  Where did you hear that?"  

He tells her to stop lying.  And he warns her that even if he has to swallow his rage when he sees her, he's not going to resign from the job in Querétaro.  "Well neither am I!" says Regina.

David:  I'm thankful I'm nothing like my father. 

Don Humberto, having apparently decided that discretion is the better part of valor, sips his cognac appreciatively and tells Eladio not to worry.  He's always been able to control his daughter.  Eladio reminds him of a past failure: once, before they were married, Julia managed to reach Arturo.  Humberto admits he slipped up back then, but it won't happen again.  Even so, he advises Eladio to get close to David because Julia would do anything for her son.  Eladio knows that, but he says that David drives him crazy.

"The best thing is to control yourself and to treat her well."

"You think I don't try?  But every time I see David, I imagine that he is Arturo's son."

"If you didn't get divorced when David was born, do you want to do it now?  Forget your doubts and make my daughter happy.  I'll convince her to accompany you on that trip you were planning."

Eladio metes out another finger of cognac and then hands the old man the bottle.  "Julia is yours and yours alone, Eladio!" Humberto tells him.  "You'll see!"

Um, maybe not, guys.   Back in Mexico in the offices of the Fundación Luna...

...That hug is still going on.  Seeing Julia again stirred up all of Arturo's old feelings.   It is Julia, finally, who breaks free of the embrace and says it was a mistake to call him.  He doesn't think so.  His love is as strong as ever.  Does she feel anything for him?  Does she still love him?

She admits her feelings were roused when they last saw each other.  That's why she didn't want to see him again.  Being so close to him made her afraid.

He holds her face in his hands.  His lips seek hers...


And I'm thankful to have you guys to hang out with on the Patio.

Labels:


Comments:
So. Plenty of hypocrisy to go around last night, no?
 

NovelaMaven- Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Thank you for recapping on a holiday.

Yes, the hypocrisy was thick last night, particularly all the advice coming out of Arturo's mouth to his kids.

Now David is ticked off at Regina, and she has no idea why. Ay, these two. All will be well, once they get back to Queretaro and leave these crazy D.F. people behind. I can't believe Josh fell for Dani's trick. What an idiot.

In addition to sending her assistant away, Julia had her driver/jailer drive her to the bank, all so she could meet Art freely. Smart. But she still stupidly brought that old love letter into the house, where Eladio is sure to find it.
 

Lots of stupidity, too. Great work, NovelaMaven.

Arturo needs to stick to his guns and put Daniela in for in-patient treatment. However, he needs to wake up to her sick hatred of Regina and her disgusting sadism. However, in true novela fashion, that will take many more episodes because Daniela is a junior version of her mother and Arturo hasn't really seen the worst of her yet.

It was also a foolish risk to meet Julia, but the timing (in terms of the plot) is perfect.

David's stupidity is jumping to conclusions when Francisco showed him the photo of the wedding invitation. She must have told him that Nina was trying to force her into that marriage after she caught him and Daniela together and that this was the story of her life. Joshua's stunt at the awards ceremony guaranteed that Regina would never marry him; he'd be messing up her life forever independent of Daniela, who would just jump his bones out of spite.

Daniela's stupidity is her narcissistic projection onto Regina and it combines with her bad luck in Regina catching her leaving the house.

Franco's stupidity is not spotting that MonserratT was drunk but hers is greater because she seems to be in love with Eladio, who has always treated her as disposable. And he will dispose of her before this is over.

More later on the above, but first:

Daniela, MonserratT, and Nina give women in general a bad name. If this is how men truly see us I'm amazed the species hasn't yet died out.

Gisela needs to learn how to mind her own business.

Humberto needs to die. Now.
 

Thank you NovelaMaven. What a treat! Exquisite! Um. Julia's at the front of the hypocrisy line. I didn't think it was her plan to spill her passionate guts all over him in that conversation. Man. I guess that was some love affair they had going on. All these years, spouses, grown children, business and foundation matters later and Julia melts like a snow cone on the sidewalk in July as soon as he gets near her. The consequences of fanning these flames are going to be more epic than Arty and Laddy's empresa wars! Dang!

Oh, Daniela, what a viper and Joshua, what a bonehead! If this scheme works and Regina goes ahead and marries this idiot. . . .they wouldn't do that, would they?

Thanks again, NovelaMaven!
 

Lila- No, Gina wouldn't marry that jerk Josh, just because he sent out the invitations. Dani was playing him for a fool.

Urban- Montse was not really drunk. She was just trying to make Franco think she was so that he would 1) believe she was sincere when she said she love Eladio, and 2) would think her flirting with him was just about her being a sloppy junk, and not because she was actually trying to seduce him. I think she failed on both fronts.
 

Wait. What the..? No, they didn't. These people are ALL too stupid or too smnarmy to live. I am sticking to my original attitude of gratitude...I am thankful that I do not know ANY of these people. Even the supposedly good guys are stupid and unreasonable.

Wow..Dan tells Captain Stupid to send out the invitations , and he agrees. Dumb and Incredibly Dumber.

Franco and Mony Minion both think that they are playing the other.

As to Julia and Art still burning for each other, I know a woman who married her high school sweetheart, divorced him, married another guy, divorced him, and the last time I saw her a few years ago, she was dating another high school sweetheart. Big wheel keeps on turning,Proud Mary.

I need a hero , and there are no heroes here. Que lastima.

Thanks, NovelaMaven, for that clever retelling. I got a giggle out of so many of the shallow characters being grateful for their various physical attributes? #howlowcanyougo
 

NM, Great recap!

What was Josh doing with the invitations in the 1st place, oh right, the writers.

David has beautiful green eyes, just like my cat.

There is not one likable character in this piece of work, ok, maybe Petra. They are all conniving, hateful, liars or just plain stupid.
 

No hay de que, chicas!

Yes, Vivi, Julia was clever about setting up an uninterrupted meeting with Arturo, but she is leaving herself quite vulnerable. She's not very good at being duplicitous. Yet. (BTW, I suspect UA knows Montse wasn't drunk – she just left the "not" out of her comment.)

Oh yeah, lots of stupidity, UA. You know, I'm not sure how inpatient treatment would help Daniela, but at least it would get her out of people's hair for a little while. She really is a sadist, isn't she?

Ooh, Lila, what a treat to see you here! It's been a long time since we watched anything together. I see you haven't lost your genius for metaphor:

"Julia melts like a snow cone on the sidewalk in July as soon as he gets near her."
Hah! She does – but then, so does he.

Hola Susanlynn,
You need a hero, huh? Oh dear. So far, only very marginal characters have any character. But it's still early days...
 

Vivi, I hope you're right. Knowing how these stories HAVE to separate the lovers for 95% of the story, I'm just afraid the ploy will work, Regina will marry Josh and low, the stage is set for 100 episodes of woe. Yah. I hope Regina and David are smart enough to figure out they're being played.

And yes, thanks, NovelaMaven. Those statements of gratitude were a hoot!
 

Thanks, Variopinta!
Josh had the invitations because Regina threw them back at him when she cancelled their engagement. I guess he hung on to them because he wasn't ready to acknowledge defeat. He did tell Daniela that his parents had seen the invitations and were asking why they hadn't been delivered. He still hadn't told them the truth.

Vivi and Lila, if Regina marries Josh, then everything we know about these two and their history is nullified. I think these writers are too clever to let that happen (said NM as she whistled through the graveyard).
 

Glad to be here, NovelaMaven, this IS an A+ recap team and Patio!
 

Aw shucks, Lila! I'm pretty proud of this team myself.
 

NovelaMaven, every word of your marvelous recap was a soothing balm to the spirit.

How could you not be delighted and enchanted by "[So who died and made David the relationship maven?]", "Daniela: I give thanks for my amazing butt. Obvio" and "Francisco, the Voice of Reason [Junior Division]"? Certainly not I.

It's so difficult to think of something original to say when there are so many insightful comments posted already. Lila, your "Julia melts like a snow cone on the sidewalk in July as soon as he gets near her" echoed my feelings exactly. What a powerful, all encompassing and enduring love.

Now that Arturo has told his son he must behave and be true to his wife, will the father emulate the same, or will he follow his heart and give in to his true love?

Dani is cray cray. Pure and simple. What a devious little tart. I have to admit, sending the wedding invitations was a stroke of genius, well crafted to stir up further confusion and delusion.

Monse is playing a very dangerous game. I guess my lack of compassion is showing as my only thought is: how long will she be able to keep up playing Eladio against Erick and stave off Eladio's anger?

What a lovely father Julia has. I'm sure she gives thanks daily as to what a caring, loving, supportive father he is! Sigh.

NovelaMaven, I'm always grateful for you and your recaps that come from the heart and soul.

Diana
 

Diana, I'm always grateful for your unfailingly generous and beautifully composed comments. You have spoiled me – when I'm recapping something you're not watching, I miss you! Thank you so much.

"Now that Arturo has told his son he must behave and be true to his wife, will the father emulate the same, or will he follow his heart and give in to his true love?"

That, of course, is the question. And I suppose the answer will play out over the next hundred or so episodes. Everyone have seatbelts fastened?
 

Awesome NovelaMaven, thank you.

"Julia: I'm thankful for my hair and my legs... oh, and also for my son"

"Erick: I'm grateful that I have never had to use public transportation"

Ok, telling Joshua to mail the invitations is a bit mischievous (and clever) but again is not criminal. It would be unnecessary if Regina would tell Daniela she isn't interested in a relationship with David and go for it. Daniela isn't keeping David and Regina apart, Regina is.

I want to slap Art up side the head. He cheated and impregnated another woman. That is not a mistake. He decided to do it, then decided it was stupid after his fiancee was hurt and left. What Julia did after or why is none of his business. News flash to Julia, Art is not a winner. He cheated on you and he will cheat on his wife.

 

My pleasure, tofie!

"I want to slap Art up side the head. He cheated and impregnated another woman. That is not a mistake."
No, not in my universe either. This is one of those things that sometimes makes TN watching a challenge – people (usually men) referring to deliberate and life-altering betrayals as simple "mistakes" and often expecting that an apology is all that is needed to repair the (irreparable) harm.

OTOH, I did like seeing Art retreat from his plan to use Miguel's skills to DESTROY Eladio. Credit where credit is due. :)
 

How do we know that Art really cheated? Maybe he was set up in some way to "think" that he cheated and to "think" that Miguel is his.

Thanks for the cute recap, N.M.!
 

Now that WOULD be devious, Cynderella. I say DNA tests all around!
 

So you're saying it may be an infamous TN stoned and wake up in bed but cannot remember what happened cheating. Gawd, I hope that they don't do that to us or to poor Miguel
 

MonserratT has told Aldo she was in love with Eladio. She was sober on that occasion. This makes her a world-class idiot.

Daniela's action is criminal, but not in the sense of being against the law. She is gaslighting Regina and this is all the worse because she will have Nina backing her up. I doubt that Daniela recognizes the narcissism in this act and she may not recognize it in Nina, but neither of them loves Regina no matter what they say.

Daniela is probably just smart enough to recognize a lie if Regina told her she was no longer interested in David. She knows her sister well enough to know how to play her and that is getting on Regina's last nerve. Especially when she finds out how Daniela manipulated Joshua into sending out the wedding invitations. His stupidity is that he fell for Daniela's BS. Hook, line, and sinker. He is the 2nd dumbest male character in this story, the first being Erick.
 

Exactly! Julia was the love of his life...he claims. He was writing her letters and pining for her. They haven't explained how he met Susana or how he ended up in bed with her. All we know is that Eladio was there during the storm.
 

U.A. Montse told Aldo that she "loves one" and the other one can ruin her. She was also worried that Eladio was going to hurt Erick. I think Erick is the one that she really loves. Eladio is not cuddly.
 

Yep. Agree with Cyn. Erick is the one Montse supposedly loves and El is the one she's using.
 

NovelaMaven---A great recap and thankful list. What a hoot your list was. our recaps are always perfection.

Lila---Melting like a snow cone on a sidewalk in July. That's so true. Julia and Arturo have got it bad.

Susanlynn---LOL---You're thankful for not knowing any of these people. Yes I agree but if all was well then we wouldn't have much of a story.

I'm on pins and needles about those wedding invitations being sent out. Will Regina cave? I have seen several people cave into pressure and that's both male and female.
Regina has already told us that she is weak and doesn't want to fight for what she wants.

So Franco now has a picture of Erick going to visit Montse. Where is that going?

Gabriela seems to be caught in the middle, being pumped for information from both sides. What will be her future? I'm staying tuned.

must see tv
the gringo



 

Hi gringo,
So glad to hear you enjoyed today's recap. I'm also glad you mentioned Gabriela's dilemma, caught as she is between Julia and Franco/Eladio. As a matter of fact, Gaby is one of my very favorite characters in this story. I'm rooting for a happily-ever-after for her and Agustín (though unfortunately, sympathetic second tier characters have a way of ending up as cannon fodder in these tales).
 

If MonserratT loves Erick, she's still dumb. He will never be anything if Arturo cuts him loose. He is too lazy, too self-indulgent, and lacks creativity.

He also lacks any real sense of self-preservation. Until Eladio caught them together I was wondering whether Erick knew about him and that scene showed that he obviously didn't. Now that he does he should be staying miles away from her.

She also is ignoring that he has tried to control Consuelo by forbidding her to work. Even if a man makes more than enough money for a luxurious life, that restriction is a major red flag. MonserratT doesn't have the social skills Julia does and she will only be moderately better than Nina at faking it. That would wear very thin after a while.
 

My favorite character is Francisco. He has a brain, a heart, a conscience, and a job. Hey..was that his yacht???...even better.
 

Thanks so much NovelaMaven for this great recap. Loved the statements of thankfulness from our characters. I hope you are wrong about Agustin's fate. He's one of the few decent males in this tn.

Vivi, Art's hypocrisy is a big concern for me. He said all this stuff and is about to start his own affair. Clearly, he has learned nothing as an affair is what broke up his engagement with Julia years ago.

Lila - your description of Julia being like a snow cone is perfect.

tofie, I so agree with you and NM on Art. It wasn't a mistake and its seems he's about to do it again.

Diana, you don't lack compassion, the Ratt is an idiot. Like you, my big question is how long will this dumb woman survive? If she were only playing with Erick, she'd live to the end of the tn but violent Eladio is smarter. So I'm kind of hoping her days are numbered and we'll see Vivi's astute guess about Connie being framed for the Ratt's murder as a plot point.

I haven't seen a TN pull the have the protagonist marry some idiot but not sleep with him in a while, but I am a bit concerned for Regina like gringo. Her whining about not being strong enough is annoying. I hope she is strong enough not to marry an idiot like Josh.

Susanlynn, you are too funny! Being thankful that you don't know any of these characters is hilarious and sadly true.

AuntyAnn thanks so much for your recap. I tried to post earlier on my phone and it didn't work out. Hope you had a great day in spite of having to work.
 

Thank you, Karen! I hope I'm wrong about Agustín too. The thing is, he reminds me of Alfredo in Lo Imperdonable. That character was also the sympathetic Voice of Reason and best friend and colleague of our hot-headed hero. He was unexpectedly (and mistakenly) zapped.

Susanlynn, I like Francisco too. He's not rich though and that wasn't his yacht. The other day, he told Clara he was making a good living at his job, but wasn't wealthy. And honestly, would Francisco lie to that nice Clara?
 

NovelaMaven- Wow, what a fantastic recap. Thank you so much for doing this and on Thanksgiving. I loved the title and loved every single line. I especially enjoyed reading what our characters are thankful for. :)

Oh no, not another misunderstanding already! Sigh. Hopefully Davif and Regina clear this one up. I like them together, but they are starting to fall into the "Pablo and Ana Perla from Lo Imperdonable" category.

Hey Maribel- Just tell your husband what you have already! It's not like he's not going to find out eventually. I feel so bad for her, but I'm getting tired of her keeping this to herself.

I loved The Ratt's fake drunk act. She plays a good drunk and sure had Franco fooled. Of course it will be interesting to see what Franco does with the incriminating photo of Erick going in to pay The Ratt a visit.

Hahaha, loved when Arturo told Regina that he never loved someone like he loved the woman he was to marry, and then he realized the slip he made, so he saves his butt by saying that you don't love two people the same way when referring to what he feels for Nina.

Overall, this was a nice episode and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens tonight.

 

Art's in a bind with his kids, if he's going to try to give them love life advice. Miguel was the product of him cheating on his fiance. And Nina was a rebound-- though she obviously kept him happy in the bedroom for many years.
 

but I am a bit concerned for Regina. . . Her whining about not being strong enough is annoying. I hope she is strong enough not to marry an idiot like Josh.

Karen, this is exactly what I'm afraid of! Yikes!
 

Thanks so much, Mauricio!

Pablo and Ana Perla redux? Oh say it isn't so! (But it could be. Regina has the potential to be at least as irritating as Ana Perla. And then, as Karen and Lila say, we have to worry about her being weak enough to marry an idiot. Good thing they're all imaginary. :D )

I also liked Arturo's slip and none too smooth recovery too. Very funny.

It WAS a nice episode, but then they've all been pretty good so far. I like the pacing on this show.
 

NM--Loved your Thanksgiving Day episode. Your recaps are always full of sparkling and witty turns of phrases, while keeping us on track with straightforward narrative.

Gaby should be thankful she's getting what she wants (a cute guy, a wealthy household to live in and in on all kinds of secrets).

I'd like to see a little more of Francisco before I declare him a 100% Voice of Reason. You'd think he and David would look into this invitation a little more closely--talked to the girl that got it, who sent it, etc. (I'd like to see a little more of him in any case.)

I'm worried about Julia and her daddy. In the first meeting we were privy to, Julia caved pretty quickly. How she could have endured 20 years of mistreatment just because she loves her daddy and wants him to live in luxury, is a little too much to believe. If daddy claims Julia is not as easy to control as his wife was, she must have been quite a mouse. But no wonder Julia has so little self-esteem. He's been working her over all her life. Wonder what he'll come up with to keep up his stock of cognac and Cuban cigars.

 

Julia wasn't too clever in planning her meeting with Arturo because I purposely looked and she definitely called his cell phone via her cellphone rather than the landline. Surely Eladio must monitor her calls on her new phone. I wonder if he will notice the number.

I am finding it really hard to believe that Arturo and Julia hadn't really come face to face in like 20 years prior to the chance meeting at the hospital which stirred up the old feelings. Julia may have been an abused, controlled, kept woman all this time but I got the sense that she was also Eladio's arm candy that he would bring with him for appearances to business meetings (like the one we saw in the 1st capitulo where Julia made it sound like that was something Eladio did often) and events...the same events that Arturo would have been a guest at. One would think in 20 years both Arturo w/ Nina and Eladio w/ Julia would have attended many of the same benefits, business events, etc.. and not only would Julia and Arturo have seen each other on many occasions but Julia and Nina would know one another well too. It seems quite odd that apparently none of that has happened and the 2 woman were practically strangers at Julia's event.

I am still not understanding the point of the random poor family complete with dying mom who is always always crying and in my opinion, a child actor who can't act. I get the point of awful Gisela in regards to Franco/Caridad/Eladio. I get the point of Clara in regards to Francisco. What is the reason for the others? Unless Clara is supposed to end up with the Father after her friend dies and raise the kid together... which I doubt since she is pairing with Francisco, they seem like a waste of time and I really really do not care.


 

Thanks, Anita! So happy you enjoyed the recap.

Poor Gaby. Does she really have to give thanks for weaselly Franco? Okay, okay, she picked him...

Your reservations about Francisco are reasonable. Still, he is only in the Junior Division and not yet a Full Scale Voice of Reason. He needs a bit of seasoning, I guess.

I'm hoping we learn a little about Eladio's roots.
 

I don't understand why the husband is pushing his wife to get a more definitive answer from the doctor than just migraines, when his wife is crying every time he sees her and is obviously in a great deal of pain. He wins the most obtuse award.
 

Why he isn't pushing his wife...
 

Thanks, NovelaMaven. Terrific recap and so funny hearing what all the PyP folks are thankful for, especially Nina and Erick.

That almost kiss between Arturo and Julia was weird. In the closeup, one moment she's head to head with him, the next she's a head shorter than him. So she was standing on the stairs, then stepped down?

Montseratt is in love with Montseratt. With Eladio, she likes the money and power; no way she could love a man that doesn't give a damn about her sexual pleasure. Kudos to her though for playing Franco while he was trying to play her. With Erick, she likes the sex and screwing over Consuelo.

Miguel has so little already. I sure hope he stays Arturo's kid.
 

Niecie- Julia kept standing up and then sitting back on on the edge of her desk.
 

Montserrat wants Connie's life and that includes Erick.

If Julia is more rebellious that her mother, I wonder what Amanda was like.

I don't think Regina will marry Josh. I do think this wedding invite fiasco will blow back ... On Nina.


 

Also, Susana was probably paid by Eladio to seduce Arturo, so Eladio could have a free path to Julia. Right now, I think only biological Montenegro child is Regina --- I think Susana was pregnant with someone else's baby when she was paid to seduce Arturo, I think Nina was pregnant with somebody else's baby (Erick) when she married Arturo in the quickie US ceremony and I don't think Daniela is Arturo's child either...that's why Nina wants Regina out of the picture because if Erick & Daniela's true paternities were discovered Regina would end up with it all...and Nina can't have that.


 

Vivi- Good point. The husband should have figured out by now, that something is up with Maribel. Only Gisela seems to realize that Maribel is hiding something.
 

Anon207- I agree. I think that somehow Eladio is involved with Arturo cheating on Julia. I can't wait until we find out how it all went down and how Arturo came to be involved with Susana.
 

Novela Maven, your thankful fors were the funniest ever, hands down. That's all.
Thank you for the entertainment.
 

NovellaMaven, Im late to this recap, but anyways, it was fun. Thanks for the thanksgiving theme. IM THANKFUL FOR ALL
THE RECAPERS!!!
You guys are sweet to do what you do for us non-Spanish speaking people.I'm thankful for you guys HAPPY THANKSGIVING MY AMIGAS!!!!!!
I hope I said that right I hate messing up other people's language. :-D
 

I don't think that Regina is the only true Montenegro child. I think Miguel is also. Erick isn't intelligent enough and while Daniela looks like she could be the child of Arturo and Nina, she is the one most likely to not be Arturo's child.

Remember how young Arturo must have been at the time he was unfaithful to Julia. It could have been a drunken one-night stand. People can learn from mistakes. Eladio might not yet have developed the social skills at that point to manipulate such a situation, although he is quite Machiavellian now.

As to Humberto, the calmest thing I can say is that misogyny is most illogical.
 

Novela Maven, the tangled lives of these "beautiful people" haven't entirely enthralled me, but I did enjoy the "thankful" lines from each character. Hilarious!
 

NovelaMaven,
Thank you so much for this delightful recap. So talented, what a great idea of your ubique format. Gosh, I am simply amazed. Now I will read all the witty remarks that contribute so much. What a group, Gracias a todos
Eva
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder