Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Pasión y Poder #11 Martes 11/17/15


Chapter 11: Sex, Lies, and Seduction

Eladio left Monserrat's apartment just missing Erick, who ducked out of sight just time to to avoid being caught. Once Eladio was gone Erick took the long-stemmed roses he had brought and hit the wall twice with them. That was enough to scatter the petals all over the floor. He then rang Monserrat's doorbell and charged in, demanding some answers. She finally told him that Eladio Gómez Luna paid for the apartment.


David spoke with Daniela, who was playing her usual games. He was on to her. “My father would kill me if he knew I was with you” and other such false reasons she had decided he was not to be part of her life. He finally told her “Everything is alright because there is nothing between us,” and ended the call. He did not realize that Regina heard the end of that sentence.
Something happen?”
No, it's not worth talking about; don't worry. Everything's alright. I knew as soon as I saw you it would be. It's magic the way my bad mood is over when you appear.” She smiled. It was a genuine expression of pleasure, not the flirtatious come-hither look characteristic of her sister.
I have to ask you something,” David finally said. “If it all goes well and we fall in love and want to be together, how will your parents feel about me being a Gómez Luna?”
I do worry about my father's reaction and I adore him.”
I know you're concerned about what we'd be facing. I know it's soon, but I'm sure that what we have isn't a passing fancy.”
I feel the same way. Although my father won't like this I want to live this with you.”
Yes. I want to live and love and live new things.”
I swear if this is real, I'll fight for it all.”
All. For us.”
They kissed.

No. Gómez Luna is not my lover,” Monserrat said. “Although he's dying to be. He's only paying for this apartment so I'll eventually put out. He can't find me with you.”
I love you. You know my circumstances.”
Yes, exactly. So get out of here and go back to your wife.”
I won't go and you know why? Because you love me, too. Or not?”
Yes. I love you. But I've made my position clear.”
No, because I'm not leaving. You know I love you.”
He grabbed her arms and pulled her in for a kiss. She fought him off. He was sufficiently surprised that she was able to shove him toward and through the door, shouting “Get out of here!” and slam it on him. “No! Get out or I will call the police.”
He pounded on the door without realizing that he was seen by Aldo, her neighbor from across the hall. He shouted at him then left by the stairs. Aldo looked at the ruined roses and scratched his head.

Joshua was at the Montenegro house asking about Regina. Daniela was not forthcoming with information. She told him off, saying that he was even more stupid than Johnny.
You admitted to my sister that you kissed me.”
I had no choice.”
Of course you did. I would have gone on denying it and helped you get back with my sister.” She turned away for a moment. “But now, don't count on me.”
You know I didn't want to tell her, but I thought if I told the truth she would forgive me.”
Then you're a cretin.” [tarado] She heard footsteps and stepped aside as soon as she saw her father enter.
What are you doing here?”
Sir, don't be angry with me. I just –“
No. You have no reason to be in this house. You are leaving. Get out of here.” Arturo turned him around and began backing him out.
How do you have the nerve to show your face here after what you were up to with Daniela? Get out!”
What are you doing, Dad?” she asked.
What I had to do. It's for your good. You and he hurt your sister.”
Regina doesn't believe us. She won't forgive him.”
Don't be so cynical. That is as it should be. If Joshua made advances toward you imagine how your sister felt when she was about to marry him. This boy isn't worth the trouble. I don't want you to see this imbecile again.” Daniela backed away. She was angry with her father.

Monserrat was very satisfied with herself until she opened the door and saw Consuelo.
How are you, Consuelo? Excuse me but I was just on my way out. Just want to let you know I didn't mind you taking my place.”
You are a tart.”
What's the matter? Why are you insulting me?”
I know what you were doing with my husband.”
It's not true. You're crazy.”
Do you think I don't know why you didn't show up for the fashion show? You were the only one who had that perfume. And Erick smelled like he bathed in it.”
I'm offended that you're yelling at me when I have always been cordial with you.”
Accept it. You are my husband's lover and my marriage is going to hell.”
It's not my fault if your husband fights with you and if you feel like a nothing that's not – ”
A slap heard through the hallway shut her mouth.
Whore! You are a hypocrite. You pretend to help me and it turns out you're fooling around with my husband. And I thought you were my friend.”
They did not see that Aldo was listening from behind his open door.
You have proof? No? Then don't come here and insult me.”
Consuelo turned to leave but Monserrat pulled her back.
Now you're going to listen. You want to know where I was when you took my place?”
Erick was also gone. He's always late – ”
And so it was easy for you to think this? You thought he was with me?”
Will you swear you weren't with him?”
A kid who's dependent on his father? Believe me, I wouldn't be interested in such an imbecile.”
Excuse me, I don't know what to say. I've been on edge, I haven't been able to get pregnant, and Erick would like to have a child.”
I think we should leave things like this, and sorry; I have things to do.”
Consuelo left and Monserrat closed the door behind her. She was glad this was over.
Don't be stupid enough to stay with him, Consuelo. If Erick wants a child I know what I have to do.”

Julia and Eladio were looking over some photos on her new cell phone. Gabriela had shown her how to send them. The way she thanked him would have been more like thanking him for diamonds. But her diamonds – which he only superficially intended as displays of his wealth – were shackles disguised as decoration. While a cell phone was potential freedom. She announced she was going down to the kitchen to see about dinner.
Such a big deal over a cell phone,” said Franco. He had watched the entire scene.
It's nothing unusual. Think about it. With this cell phone I'm calm that she can call David and I will know whenever she is and whom she calls.”
Godfather, aren't you a little bit jealous?”
When I'm giving a cell phone to my wife?”
Aren't you the least bit worried that my godmother will – ”
Ja,” He made the “Cut” motion. “Don't start interfering in things that aren't your business, Franco. Be careful and don't make mistakes.” He touched him in the shoulder for emphasis on the last five syllables.
I apologize, Godfather. I thought you'd be worried about my godmother because last night you were talking with Monserrat Moret.”
And? And?” Eladio looked searchingly into his face.
Nothing, nothing. I thought you'd be interested. You know you can trust me. And if you have anything going on with her I will never say anything.”
He saw that this wasn't enough.
I'm sorry, Godfather,” Franco said. “All I wanted to demonstrate to you is that I'm always on your side.” Eladio released him. “I mean, you're a man and you have needs. As I do and I – ” He paused a second as he saw a woman pass nearby.
With whom?” Eladio asked ominously. “You're not talking about Gabriela? Don't even think about trying anything with her. Think, think. She's my wife's cousin and I know you. You can't use her like she was a tramp. Stay far away from Gabriela.”
Yes, I understand. Don't worry.”
Why would I be worried? What's to worry about? Buck up.”
There was no question that Franco would remain silent for a long while to come on the subject of Gabriela.

Erick and Arturo were at the office, but Erick wanted to talk about moving into his own space. He had always wanted to but Nina never wanted that. Arturo said he was earning enough to be self-sufficient but that he had to learn how to manage his money better. He pulled out a bill from a jewelry store. “And jewelry? This is not a business dinner. And this wasn't purchased for your wife.”
Alright, I gave her her walking papers, Dad. Look, Dad, I know I got married awfully young. You didn't like the idea at the time. Maybe it would be better if Consuelo and I separated.”
Ah, how easy. How you'd like that. When you get married you must be a man and capable of making decisions. And tolerating your wife's differences, and making the relationship work – ”
But Consuelo won't sleep with me! She rejects me! I'm not happy.”
Enough!” Arturo got up from his chair. “Enough. You're not happy or you don't want to happy? She is a good woman. You decided to marry her and now you can leave the house with her and you can resolve your problems without your mother or me interfering. Agreed?”
Dad, if you're cutting off the money how are we going to live?”
No, no, no. If I have money it's because your grandfather worked hard. If you have money it's because I work hard. Why aren't you working? Why aren't you spending time working instead of just spending money? That's why I'm reducing your credit card limit. This isn't going on any more. I shouldn't have to keep after you to get the job done. It's your responsibility.” He noticed his son walking away and turning his back. “Erick, I'm talking to you.”
He turned around. “I'm listening.”
You need to buckle down and work and work on your marriage.”
I want to but Consuelo has changed! She won't sleep with me and she can't give me a baby.”
Have you been to a doctor? There could be many reasons why she isn't conceiving.”
No. Consuelo went for tests, but I'm alright.”
You think you're alright? Fine. But you need to spend more time with your wife.” He picked up the jewelry bill. “Stop wasting time with other women. Buying jewelry, cars, clothes? This stops now.”
Dad, you're exaggerating.”
I know. Your wife must come first.”

Julia wanted to talk to Franco about his relationship with Gabriela and why he hadn't discusset it with Eladio, but Eladio called him before he could answer her question. Eladio said they were going to the office. Julia whispered “Do it” before Franco left.

Monserrat stared at the money and the plane ticket on the table. Had she read any classic novels or ever gone to the opera she would have known that this was definitely a severance package and she needed to go away quietly. But she was no Violetta Valery, no Manon Lescaut. Not even Emil Zolà's Nana. She poured herself a drink and answered the knock on her door. It was Aldo, her neighbor. He took the drink away from her.
Monserrat, you know drinking is bad for the skin.”
She wasn't in the mood but he wouldn't let her off the hook. He had seen and heard everything. He knew she had been playing the junior Montenegro against the senior Gómez Luna and he knew this was a dangerous game. “If the Montenegros and the Gómez Lunas go to war, you don't want to be caught in the crossfire.” With another warning about alcohol being bad for her he left.

Franco delivered some documents to Eladio that took care of their liquor license problem. There was a payoff involved that needed to be in cash. Eladio handed him a check written to him that he was take to the bank to get cash for the payoff. He didn't want any problems. Franco then told him about Gisela's visit. She had arrived without an appointment and barged in. She had come for money and he had forced her out. He had seen her snooping and was afraid she would steal something. Eladio furiously told him “no” and not to continue to interfere in this. Franco left him alone. The secretary came in with his morning coffee and he fired her for allowing Doña Gisela into his office. No excuses. She was to pack her things, report to personnel, get her severance, and leave. The coffee left a bad taste in his mouth.

David and Regina looked over the file and declared the workday at an end. He suggested they go somewhere to enjoy themselves. They finally decided to go to the cinema. On the way they walked through the park.

Doña Gisela's neighbor, Maribel, received her diagnosis that day. She had an inoperable brain tumor. There was nothing that could be done. She did not want to tell her husband. She wanted to enjoy the time she had left with her husband and daughter. She made Clara pledge her silence.

Franco met an old classmate in a café, a tall, leggy blonde named Marinita. She was at that time a secretary in a travel agency. It wasn't satisfying professionally, but everyone needs money. It was obvious that Marinita still felt about him as she had in their student days. He was not in the marriage market at this time, but felt that their association could be mutually beneficial in more than a professional way. To emphasize that he began kissing her. He must have learned this technique from a love of foreign movies. He suggested that she apply for for the position of Eladio's new secretary. He would coach her on how to get the position. As a beautiful and intelligent woman who also spoke English she was perfectly qualified. She was pleased at the prospect of working with him. He wanted her to be “more than a secretary.” However, he clarified that this meant she had to watch Eladio closely and keep him informed of everything.
You know I'm good at that. But why do you want me working with your godfather? Don't you trust him?”
There are limits to what he tells me. I'm not losing any chance that he will trust me with everything in the future.”
What do I get out of this?”
Money. Lots of money. Because Gómez Luna and Associates will be mine someday.”

Maribel watched her husband helping their daughter with her homework. He asked how things had gone at the doctor's office. She told him that the doctor had given her stronger pain medication. He had good news, which was that they were going to Acapulco for his new job. Maribel cried. This did not escape Luisita's notice.

Monserrat washed down some pills with alcohol straight from the bottle. Aldo almost panicked at this. “I'm desperate. I have cash and a plane ticket to Europe, but I don't want to leave.”
Why not?”
Because I want Erick. If he gets his divorce I could have as much money as I did with Eladio.”
Monserrat, you don't understand. Since when is love more important than security? And have you thought about what you'd say to Eladio?”
You're right. Neither can I risk his anger when he finds out, but no – ” She picked up the bottle and the doorbell rang. “And who the hell is that now?” She opened the door to a very sheepish Erick.
Goodbye, neighbor,” Aldo said. He walked out immediately. “I leave her in your charge, frasquito,” were his parting words to him.
What the hell are you doing here?”
Monse, love, I know I was bad. I need you to forgive me.”
You are damned lucky I love you so much. But don't think this situation can go on much longer. And much less since your dear little wife was here.”
Why did she come?”
To scold me for fooling around with you. But I convinced her that nothing happened. I couldn't say any more because she can't know we're seeing each other.”
Just for that?”
I had to convince her that nothing was going on. Listen, I am tired of being The Other Woman. I get your messages and I'm always here and ready to please you.”
What do you want? To take the risk people will see us together? Oh, please..”
I don't know. I'm going to start accepting invitations from my friends.”
Oh, yes?” He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her over. “Listen well. You are mine. You don't go with anyone else. Is that clear?”
He stared into her eyes. For the first time she was afraid of him, at least for the moment.

Eladio was pleased with Mirinita's resume and references. He noted her appearance without any obvious prurient intent. He then asked what she expected to accomplish.
Everything,” she said, looking down at her legs. She had hitched up her skirt higher than corporate interviews typically permitted. She got up from her seat and corrected this before going to his side of the glass desk and sitting down. “Tell me, what do you need now?”
She remained seated only long enough to open her white top to reveal a black lace brassiere she must have newly purchased at Victoria's Secret. She knelt in front of him. He put his hand gently under her chin to encourage her to get up.
The only thing I need right now is for you to demonstrate that you are a great secretary.”
She went back to the other side of the desk and leaned over toward him. “I am an excellent secretary,” she said. She looked like she was auditioning for the role of Miss Moneypenny making a pass at James Bond.
If you are, start by closing that up.”
She turned her back and obeyed.
I'm going. Sorry to have bothered you.”
Of all the candidates you are the best. If you learn how to conduct yourself, there will be no problems. Let me think about this. I'll see you here again but you can go now.”
Thank you, sir.”
They'll let you know when to come back.”
She left. He sat there for a moment wondering what she was really looking for.

You can't go out with anyone else. You are mine. Nobody else's. And... I love you.”
If you love me that much, you have to get a divorce.”
It's not that easy. Of course I'd love to end it with Consuelo but the way things are. Besides, my father suspecting something and I depend on him. I don't want to be out in the street. If I don't fix my marriage he can take everything away from me. Of course I'd love to be independent, but...” he paused as he noticed the plane ticket. “What's this? You were going to Europe without telling me?”
Erick picked up the envelope and estimated the amount of cash.
Yes, it's so I can go far away. It really hurts that you don't love me as much as I love you.” She took the money out of his hands. “That you're only taking advantage of me.”
That's a lot of money!”
That's my lifetime savings.".
You're taking all that money and putting it into a trip. Give me some time and then we can be together.” He kissed her. She didn't resist.
Do you swear?”
Of course. You'll need to be patient. It won't always be like this.”
But make it fast, my love. I can't take any more.”
What I don't like is you with Gómez Luna. I don't know. Get another job. Quit this one as the image of this company.”
I can't. It will negatively affect my career. If you can't make it so I don't have to work I can't do this.”
Do you think I can deal with you having contact with him?”
Don't get your blood pressure up. Eladio Gómez Luna doesn't interest me. He's got a god complex and he's arrogant.” [prepotente]
That's how he is.”
I've never had anything to do with him. Just you.”
Seriously?”

Franco returned to Eladio's office. He asked about the interviews although he probably already knew the answer. Eladio commented on how Mirinita came on to him. Franco gave one of his usual flattering replies.
Actually, I'm looking for a real secretary. And how about that computer expert?”
He'll be here first thing in the morning.” Eladio looked satisfied as he made a gesture of dismissal. Franco excused himself and left. Eladio picked up his cell phone and called Monserrat. He seemed to be leaving a voice mail. “I hope I caught you before your flight to Rome. I hope you haven't been overfishing...”

Julia and Gabriela were on their way to the manicurist as they were talking about more cell phone features. Nina was already in the shop. She was already there making sure her claws were sharp and pointy. She could have been poured into the tight black dress she was wearing too early in the day. The headband should have been left in the gym bag. The manicurist said she had lovely hands. She was flattered at the compliment. The manicurist in the next chair spotted Julia, who was to be the next client.
Look at what the cat dragged in,” said Nina.
You are Arturo Montenegro's wife?” Julia asked.
And you of Eladio Gómez Luna, like I'd even be interested.” She got up. “Nothing gave me more pleasure than my husband buying me the dress I wanted. Oh, what a pity everyone saw that your husband didn't want to pay for something you wanted. ”
The important thing was that Arturo donated a lot of money to the foundation for which I am very grateful.”
Accept that at the core it would have pleased you if your husband hadn't had to hand that dress to me.”
I'm very happy with what my husband buys me. Don't assume you know anything about that. If you want to continue a fight started by our husbands, don't waste your time. You'd lose. Because I'm happy and don't press me on anything. Let's go, Gaby.”
You don't want to accept the reality that Eladio is inferior because he didn't want to get you theh dress that pleased you.” She went back to the table.
And what opinion do you have of your own husband? He caused inspectors to come to La Condesa and they found nothing.”

Mirinita was not pleased with the outcome of her interview. She went down to Franco's office to tell him. She was ready to keep her present dead-end job.
He didn't react as you said he would.”
Maybe not, but give it time. Little by little you'll get there. Remember that we have to make sure nobody thinks we know each other.”
Francisco entered and Franco introduced Mirinita to him while pretending he just met her. After the standard handshake he escorted her out with a whisper that he'd call her later.
Your godfather doesn't lose any time, does he?” asked Francisco.
Show a little intelligence and shut up, huh?”

He should have said that to Nina in the manicurists' parlor. She got up from the table.
What are you talking about? My husband would never do anything like that. You know him.”
How would you know that? You don't know anything.” Gabriela tried to stop Julia. “I know all about Arturo. And you know how –”
How would you know if you just met him yesterday?”
Julia realized she may have given something away, but didn't let it show.
It's obvious that you know nothing. I will not waste my time arguing with a woman with your kind of manners.” She told the manicurist she would be back another time and departed with Gabriela.
Busybodies!” Nina yelled at the others. She then picked up her cell phone and started to leave. But not without leaving a message for Arturo that she had to talk to him.
On the way out, Gabriela was shocked that her aunt had been drawn into this.
It was only the truth. Arturo married a common woman. That was his weakness. Women like her.”
Calm down.”
Julia took a deep breath.
You know what? I'm happier than ever that things between me and Eladio are going well. This is over. Let's go.”
Later I will reward my source for recording all of this with her cell phone. A lobster dinner and a portrait of General Grant should be adequate.

Doña Gisela went to Eladio's office. She caught him and told him that it hurt that her own grandson showed her no respect. Eladio was not only not sympathetic he sniffed and commented that he smelled alcohol on her. She let that go and got to the point. She was there about Caridad's case. He told her that this could happen and that these things take time. She asked for more money. He said he would give it to her under his conditions. Or she could forget the monthly check. He then dismissed her. She left because by then she realized that he could only be pushed so far.

What Arturo hadn't realized when he was first married to Nina was that she was a a monster of jealousy. If she could have isolated him from all other women she would have. On every social occasion she watched him like a hawk, pouncing on any attractive woman who held his attention for more than the required few seconds to exchange superficial greetings with. Her greed for money and luxury was only equaled by her greed for his undivided and unconditional attention, which she resented sharing even with her children. Nina had come to Arturo's office and was ranting about what had happened.
That Julia is hateful. She humiliated me in front of all my friends in the nail salon,” she said. “She told all kinds of lies. And the least of which was that she knew you. That really hurt. Arturo, are you sure you don't know her?”
As if my feud with Gómez Luna weren't difficult enough –” He would have preferred not to deal with this.
And now you have his wife and me. You have to shut her up. This woman is inventing things about you.”
Nina, it's best that you don't get into her game.”
I hate her! Now more than ever you have to destroy Gómez Luna.”

Labels:


Comments:
Thank you so much for this wonderful, detailed recap, Urban. Yes, I guess we can assume that Montserrat is not an opera fan. :)

So with Franco turning on Eladio just as Eladio himself turned on Arturo's father, history repeats itself... which leaves me wondering whether Arturo and Eladio might be half-brothers.

This is definitely getting interesting.
 

Another subperb recap Urban. The dialog translation and vocabulary were wonderful.

"But her diamonds – which he only superficially intended as displays of his wealth – were shackles disguised as decoration" was my favorite line.

I admire Francisco. He’s unafraid to say what he thinks (to whomever) and doesn’t kowtow to anyone.

On the other hand – Franco. Does he really believe he will outsmart and outmaneuver his godfather? Mirinita played her hand way too soon. If Franco really understood Eladio, she would have received strict instructions to be cool and reserved. She offered herself on a platter, usually not something that a professional does when they are interviewing. Of course Eladio’s radar senses something is seriously amiss.

I have to admit I am drawn into the Erick, Monse and Consuelo triangle. There's so much bickering, so many tears and great angst. Of course no one in their right mind would choose Monse over Consuelo!

While I want to be intrigued by Regina and David, while the blossoming of their current friend zone relationship into more, is just too tame by comparison.

Ooooh, interesting NovelaMaven! Arturo and Eladio related? Hmm.

Nina is a viper. I'm not quite sure how the docile, always hopeful Julia is going to hold her own but it will be fun to find out. Susana is doing an incredible job and I'm a fan of Marlena whom I've not seen before.

I wish I were as excited by the galans!

Dian



 

Diana. Sigh...
 

Thanks so much, Urban! Great job.

It's interesting that Eladio doesn't want Franco to get involved with Gabi, basically because she's too good for him. You would think he'd want his secret son /godson to marry Julia's niece in order to tie Julia more closely to him. I would think he'd force Franco to marry Gabi, and give him advice about how to keep a mistress on the side.

I also thought it interesting that Eladio didn't seem turned on in the least by Franco's slutty secretary candidate/old flame.

Is Erick really stupid enough to believe that Montse accepted an apartment from Eladio but isn't his lover? What a dope! By the way, Montse and Erick were saying life savings (ahorros), not hours. What do the two of them do with their money anyway. They both have jobs with salaries, and they both live off sugar daddies who pay their expenses. That means they should have plenty of money to spare, but they both speak as if they're broke.
 

Diana- Lets give Gina and David a chance to actually get to know each other and establish a relationship, so that it will actually make sense when they try to defend their love from the sh*t storm that will hit them when Dani, Josh, Nina, Eladio, and Arturo, find out about their relationship. You know this won't be pretty. No more, we kissed in the rain one time, and now we're going to spend four more years and 120+ episodes of makeups and breakups, and empty promises, for something that doesn't seem real or worth it.
 

Thanks, Vivi. I'll correct that.

I think the issue with Franco is that he had been taking advantage of Eladio's rejection of David to show his worth as heir apparent. Now that he can't be sure of Eladio's rejection and that Eladio isn't trusting him with everything he feels he needs to take drastic measures. The firing of the original secretary gives him opportunity.

This does not automatically mean that Arturo and Eladio are related.

Before anyone else comments on this point I want to say that I don't think Julia's assumption about Arturo is correct. I don't think he had an ongoing weakness for trashy women. His first wife may not have been of their class and the pregnancy was probably the result of a drunken one-night stand. The price Arturo paid for this was Julia, who may have already been married to Eladio when Susanna died in childbirth. This sounds like the true reason Arturo's bond with Miguel is not what it should be. Then within a year or so along comes Nina, who appealed to his ego and very likely put on a much better face for him than we are now seeing.

We won't know until there is an actual conversation between Arturo and Julia or maybe Arturo and Augustin.
 

"Diamonds as shackles" and plane tickets and money as "severance pay". Another elegant,beautifully written recap Urban. Haven't watched this yet, but getting depressed just by the slutty, bickering tangles uncoiling night after night. Maybe I need to go watch a Mother Teresa video or something to rinse out my brain a bit.

But always enjoy your wry, cynical style and the translations of key words. But man, these people are already getting me down, and it's early days yet! (Of course the gray cold Ohio weather isn't helping either.

Thanks as always. Top notch as always.
 

I completely agree that Mirinita played the sex card way too soon. Showing cleavage in the normal way would have been adequate and effective.

Eladio probably has plans for Gabriela. Like George Warleggan in Poldark, he's looking to score alliances for profit, prestige, and even against the day of all-out war with Arturo. He may come up with a potential husband for her that will not be to her liking and his current treatment of Julia -- if it lasts long enough -- will get her to back him up. Franco is smart, creative, handsome, and has the right manners but he doesn't add anything else. His talents are good for GLA in the long term but don't add anything overnight in one move.

Eladio is also paranoid about Franco learning where he really comes from. If he gets more profile that will come out and Eladio will be pressed for an explanation he doesn't want to give.
 

Wow, just WOW!! UA, this was splendid. And the dialog, for us poor translators, this was gold!!!

My son came home from work during the salon scene, took one look at Nina and said "who dresses like that to get their nails done?" My sentiments exactly. Good lord, woman, stop trying so hard to convince everyone you are rich and whatever. That outfit was dreadful. But it contrasted nicely with Julia's tasteful outfit more befitting someone with manners. I did twitch a bit at J's comment on Arturo marrying "common", but I do remember my grandmother using that term to my surprise once and she explained it meant, not moneyed, but someone who had no manners, was not "socially educated" in how to conduct themselves in public or at work. So in those terms, Julia would be dead on, but I think there was a tinge of elitism in her remark.

So, did someone drop Erick on his head as a baby? I totally agree with you Vivi, he is dumber than a clock to think a guy is paying for a place and NOT getting favors. As for Connie, she's so desperate to hang unto her marriage and want a family, she'll believe anything.

I don't think we will get too much of Gina and David until their relationship goes public to the parents and all hell breaks loose.

Franco is such a dweeb. And who keeps saying 'godfather"? Say "sir" or something. Ridiculous.

Have to say, Arturo looks like a man who is just fed up and beaten down. Nice work by Salinas.

Daisynjay
 

Three angry people coming to Montse's apartment one right after the other, with the nosey neighbor peeking out, reminded me of the beginning of many murder mysteries. I would not be surprised in Montse ends up dead early in the series, and some innocent person like Connie gets blamed, based on the neighbor's statements and the police assuming a jealous wife is the logical culprit.
 

Daisynjay- Picturing Nina as a first time mom, she probably DID drop Erick on his head as a baby. It would explain a lot. :)

I think in Spanish language, people do use Padrina/Madrina to address their grandparents, just as you would use Aunt or Uncle. So his use of it is normal. It's just that it sounds so lame coming from his butt-kissing mouth.
 

Padrino, not Padrina. :)
 

Interesting theory, Vivi. We're only 4 weeks behind Mexico but I don't know how many weeks were in the can before the Mexican debut on 10/5. There should be a scandalous murder or two in this story to go along with the secrets nobody wants revealed. DD looooooves that.
 

Vivi, the actors playing Regina and David are among my favorites. I'm not really hurrying their romance along and understand the best thing is to take it slow.

But at this point, in terms of the excitement factor, at the present, watching them is viewing a fire trying to spark while other storylines are the equivalent of a full blown roaring fire. :)

Diana
 

Urban- I can picture it already. Montse gets pregnant to hook Erick. Eladio finds out and kills her, then frames Connie and pays off the neighbor. Connie shares a cell with another woman Eladio framed for murder, Franco's mom...
 

The only problem with that scenario is that Caridad is in a US prison. She will come out of there soon because Eladio won't be able to delay that forever. This will frustrate him and drive him over the edge.
 

A great read UA, thank you!

"She smiled. It was a genuine expression of pleasure, not the flirtatious come-hither look characteristic of her sister"

"The headband should have been left in the gym bag"

Julia doesn't have much room to talk she married a thug in a suit on a rebound who abused her and her son and she's still trying. Hell even a 12 year old doesn't get that excited over a new phone.


 

Urban- I didn't realize Caridad was in the U.S.
 

Vivi and Urban, I think there's a little misunderstanding about this. In an earlier episode, we learned that Eladio had made up a story for Franco to explain his mother's absence. He said she had gone to the U.S., rather than telling him the truth (that she was in prison). The prison is in Mexico, I believe.
 

Thanks for the clarification, NovelaMaven. I'm surprised Franco hasn't pushed for more concrete information about his parents all these years. You would think that would be one of the things he'd have on his list to find out from Eladio.
 

Also surprised Julia has never considered that Franco could be Eladio's love child.
 

Yes, Vivi, everyone seems a little dull and complacent. They're all overdue for a wakeup call, don't you think?
 

Urban- This was wonderful. Thank you so much.

What's the deal with Aldo and Montserrat? And why is he always eavesdropping on her?

Disappointed Consuelo was convinced by Montserrat that she wasn't the least bit interested in someone like Erick.

I had a feeling Maribel had a brain tumor. So what will happen now? She should tell her husband what's happening.

Wow, that Marinita wasted no time in throwing herself at Eladio.
 

Yes, calling your godfather "padrino" is normal in the Spanish language. Although I am getting tired of hearing Franco uttering those words all the time.
 

Does Aldo also work for GLA? I don't recall seeing him before. He must have many interesting tales of that hallway.

Julia has been so desperate for love all through her marriage she has no idea what's normal anymore. I'm sure she knows nothing of Eladio's business dealings and has only ever met a handful of the more respectable people.

Considering where this story has gone already it wouldn't surprise me if we eventually had a double adultery situation, although if Eladio tries to use Nina half as nastily as he did Monserrat she might do a Lorena Bobbit job on him.
 

Thanks for the lesson on the term "padrino". Maybe if it wasn't at the start or end of every sentence it wouldn't be so grating. It sound like he's sucking up....oh wait.

You know, really went there myself last night thinking, oh this girl is going to be so dead soon. Monse has that target of EXPENDABLE PLOT DEVICE written all over her sorry person. I am glad there is the nosy neighbor though. He heard and has seen enough to know more than an innocent party is involved. Now if Eladio wants to frame Erick, yeah, well, boy that's a toughie. Not so sure I wouldn't mind that...at least to let him stew in a new orange suit for awhile. But Connie, good lord, let's not go there. Girl has been through enough. She could be consoled and fall for Miguel if Erick's sorry butt was locked up for awhile.

Daisynjay
 

Thanks, NovelaMaven. Terrific recap.

At first I was surprised why Eladio didn’t want Franco hooking up with Gabriela. But now I get it. Eladio knows that Franco would screw over Gabriela and that would upset Julia and screw up Eladio with her. I’ve been sympathetic to Franco because of his anti-nurturing by his (god)father and thought his feelings for Gabriela were sincere. But now I see Franco is not only fawning, but underhanded and stupid too.

 

Niecie, I'd love to take the credit, but it's Urban Anthropologist who deserves the thanks here. :-)
 

Ay! Thanks, UA!
 

Thank you UA for a SUPER recap---I am trying to do three things at once right now so I will just say that your diamond shackles line really caught my eye.

Wonder what is in store for Gabriela?

Montse had it rough last night, she's leaving town? What will come of that?

must see tv
the gringo
 

thanks so much , UA, for that excellent and detailed recap.

Eladio :" I did not have sexual relations with that woman...no, really...I didnt even want to...I told her to hold her horses and button up her shirt."

I, too, see a target on Mony's forehead. Girl can really pick a lover. Rick is stupid and conceited , and Eladio is dangerous. The nosy neighbor must be there for a reason.

Did Nini get confused about how to put on a hairband ? For a second, I thought that I had tuned into a movie about Cochise.

Either JS is playing Art as sick and tired of it all (FML) , or JS himself is tired. It's a little late to be trying to get those two layabouts Daniela and Rick to get some work ethic.
 

UA--Good recap. Your ability and agility to nail the dialog is to be envied (in a good way).

Mauricio: "What's the deal with Aldo and Montserrat? And why is he always eavesdropping on her?" I think he is only a sympathetic ear, interested in her career, etc. Who wouldn't be, having a famous model living across the hall. Montse, on the other hand, lives there alone, seemingly only receives two lusty men who do her and leave. She needs someone to talk to. Aldo is ready, willing and able.

We can't have Eladio and Arturo be half-brothers if we want David and Regina to end up together. Having them be secret offspring to other individuals would be too complicated. I kind of like their slow pace. It leaves me in hopes they will form a solid relationship that will withstand the "air" the fan will spray after getting hit with the dung.

If poor little Maribel is destined for the graveyard, there must be a more important role for Justino and Luisita to play. He doesn't look like an office type. I thought he was in construction. He went to wherever it was for several days on a Gomez-Luna project and is now back. Still don't see the point, unless there will be more of him. And what about Clara? We haven't seen her trying to cozy up to Francisco lately.

I'm liking the fact that Joshua isn't gone altogether. He's sure to create a little more chaos for the younger set.

I love the idea that La Ratt-a may become a murder victim. Eladio told her in his last voice mail that she'd better be doing what he ordered (leaving for Paris). What excuse is she going to use if she shows up for work next Monday, or just accidentally runs into him? Did Eladio tear up her exclusive contract along with giving her her "severance pay"....hummmm...yeah, what *about* the apartment....move in with Aldo....oh, the possibilities are delicious to consider.

Caridad must be in a prison in Mexico. Didn't you all see the accommodations? Besides, Eladio would not have been able to call someone in the States to get her parole hearing postponed.

I wonder who took the fall for the hotel scam. He's asking for his money. Justino just came back with money to go to Acapulco....hummmm. The deal, as I heard it, was that person was to be dismissed for scamming, but Justy is in construction. (Well, that's a maybe now. I'd have to go back to check it out and I'm supposed to be getting ready to go to the opera later tonight--something new by Phillip Glass, Appomatox...hummmmm will I be able to hum any of the tunes afterwards, I wonder....)
 

Anita, please let me know about Appomattox; I've read about it but would appreciate your perspective.

As the hotel scam, I'm sure that will come back to bite Eladio on the tuchas.
 

Thanks for the recap Urban! It's very thorough and informative.
 

Thanks for another excellent recap, UA. Nicely done.

I must have missed something. I can't see any good reason for that exchange between Julia and Nina at the manicurist's shop. Was there something that triggered it? Maybe Nina's headband (which I heartily approve) was screwed on too tight. I wouldn't have thought that Julia would have allowed herself to be baited like that. Though Nina started the taunting, Julia came off sounding every bit as tacky.

If Julia has never had her own cell phone before I can understand her glee. Now if only she can resist it's insidious domination of her every waking moment.

Carlos
 

A cell phone only dominates your life if you allow it to. I turn mine on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get home. I don't have a smartphone (Don't want to pay $100/month for one) and I refuse to give up a landline with a corded receiver. But that rant would be on another forum another day.

Nina is a narcissist. That can explain any and all of her actions. She wanted to queen this absurd victory over Julia because she measures love in dollars (or pesos). She is way out of her depth with Julia. Julia should have left it at her gratitude for the generous donation and left Nina to make a fool of herself without her help.
 

I also think as soon as Art called out Julia by her first name and praised her character at the event, Nina's radar went off. She senses Julia is a threat and that's why she decided to attack first.
 

True, Vivi, and she made a complete ass of herself.
 

Carlos..I knew that you were going to be a fan of that horizontal headband. #itsalook
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder