Monday, December 21, 2015

Yo No Creo en los Hombres #112 Lunes 12/21/15



Chapter 112: A Day Late and a Dollar Short

Maria Dolores asked the nurse if the test was done. The nurse answered that it was and left. Maria Dolores didn't even count to three before removing the IV needle and getting out of bed. She headed down the nearest stairs and asked the way to the neonatology.
Meanwhile in that ward Ivana was holding Maria Dolores' newborn daughter. The nurse who had been bribed by Mama Bear told her she was holding the baby correctly against her skin so the baby could feel her body heat. Danny-Boy leaned over the baby from Ivana's left side. It was just as well that he wore the surgical mask; the poor infant would have been frightened out of a year's growth at the sight of him. He began talking to the baby who was reaching at random and looking away from him. She turned away from the sound of his voice. Smart baby.

Mama Bear way lying in wait in the corridor when Maria Dolores arrived. She fought her, but Maria Dolores got past her and opened the door to the infants' ward. Úrsula yelled for help, but was unable to prevent Maria Dolores getting inside the ward. Ivana looked up at Maria Dolores. She had a guilty expression. Two prison guards ran down the corridor, billy clubs in hand. The guilty nurse followed them. Maria Dolores yelled accusations at Ivana and Danny-Boy, who removed his surgical mask. The two guards grabbed Maria Dolores and dragged her out of the room. She shouted to Ivana to leave her baby alone. Danny-Boy went outside the ward and watched. Ivana held onto the baby, who began crying. The nurse came back in.
What do I do?” Ivana asked her.
Be calm,” said the nurse as she closed the door.

Honoria sat at the table in her apartment, morose as usual. Fermin handed her a check sent over by Adrian for Julian's half of their partnership. She took it with her into the bedroom, saying she would deposit it later. Her spirits had not picked up since Julian's funeral. Fermin was concerned. Jenny told him that she hoped that would change as soon as they could tell Honoria that she had been successfully inseminated. The doctor had given her the clean bill of heath she needed. This could happen soon. Fermin hugged her and both smiled.

Leo showed Alma into the new nursery in the Bustamante house. He and Max worked on it while she had been in the hospital. They sat on the new sofa. Alma told him she no longer wished to sleep in the master bedroom. She wanted to sleep in this room until her granddaughter arrived in the arms of Max, her father. Leo hugged his mother.

Clara interviewed with the flesh peddler whose business card she got from the dancer.
We need pretty girls, here. Ones like you,” he said. “Don't think that all the girls have to have big boobs,” he said, with a gesture. “I've had clients ask for ones who are a bit on the heavy side, ones who will want to dance with you, and others who'll want you at counters promoting products,” he continued.
What hours are we talking about?” she asked.
We don't have hours here,” he said. “Sometimes you'll do a whole day and make 250 pesos.” Since that's about $14.50 US, that didn't sound like much. “If you like the work and the clients, you could make much more,: he said.
OK. Is there a form I have to fill out, or something?”
No. Just give your contact info outside so we can get in touch.”
Thanks. I really need the work.”
He grinned back. He knew he had gotten a valuable commodity he could sell to the highest bidder.

Max paced the hospital hallway as Gerry ran in.
Ivana's here?” he asked.
Yes. Doña Esperanza saw her come in with a nurse.”
Yes,” Doris said. “She came in with Daniel and his mama and nobody did anything. What the hell was she doing here?”
Gerry, you knew they were coming?” asked Max.
No, but I imagined so. She had been with Isela for her ultrasound but Isela called me and said Ivana suddenly felt sick and rushed home. She wasn't there and Susanna told me that last night Úrsula had called to tell her that she and Daniel could come here to say they're the parents of Maria Dolores' baby.”
Oh, no, no,” said Esperanza. She looked ready to faint. “Max, Ivana changed her mind. She's not going to help my daughter keep her baby.”
Take it easy. Nothing is going to happen,” he said.
Fortunately they were near the exit used by the Santibañez clan and Max spotted them.
Ivana?” he said.
The three stopped. Ivana looked sad. Úrsula and Danny-Boy looked as predatory as usual.

Hosefa paid Honoria an unexpected visit. She played the Dead Child card again, claiming she had lost two daughters. “One's dead, the other is away in another place and she doesn't want to see me. It's the same.”
Honoria looked at her cautiously. “You never loved Isela,” she said. “You destroyed her life.”
So? We're together in this, aren't we? And together we were going to plan revenge against the Bustamantes, aren't we?”
Yes, and didn't she tell you that he wasn't at fault?”
Oh, please, she's in love with that bastard. That's something else –”
You're wrong here. You know whom you should get revenge on? That Monterubio.”
Hosefa looked like this landed.
OK, so why are you looking to get revenge on Maria Dolores?”
For my son, Hosefa. And also Daniel.” She leaned back as she took a sip of her coffee. “And more. It's begun.”
Really?”
I've told his mama that her baby boy will betray her. Jenny told me. So I'll see this blow up in their faces.”
Just as Monterubio will pay for the death of my Marta.”

Alma sat in the nursery with a blanket over her lap. The maid knocked and Alma said to come in. The maid told her that Leo had just left without saying where he was going. There was a florist delivery but she was sure it was a mistake. She would take care of it. Alma looked confused.

What are you doing here, Ivana?” asked Max.
She's with me,” said Danny-Boy. “To see my daughter.”
Esperanza launched herself at him. Corina and Doris held her back.
You don't have those rights yet,” Max said, grabbing him by the lapels.
And you do?” asked Mama Bear. “Only as Maria Dolores' lawyer. Let go of him.”
This doesn't end here,” Max said, releasing the repulsive Danny-Boy. “And you, Ivana. What are you doing here? Have you forgotten what we talked about? Don't tell me you're now on the side of Julian's killer?”
Ivana looked confused. She ran for the exit. Max started after her.
Answer me, Ivana.”
Max, let me talk to her,” said Gerry. He ran after Ivana. Danny-Boy and Mama Bear exited theh other way, looking over their shoulders at Max.

Alma went downstairs with the maid. The florist's delivery man was inside the door with the notice for a signature. Alma signed and thanked him. He walked out.
Can I see the card, please?” Alma said.
The maid retrieved it from a large wreath of white flowers and green ferns. She looked suspicious. Alma opened the envelope and read the card.
We lament the loss of Alma de Bustamante. Rest in peace. Isela de Bustamante.”
She swayed a moment. The maid had to steady her.

Frankly, when I saw you at Úrsula's home yesterday I didn't think you were there to avenge Marta's death,” Honoria said.
You're wrong,” Hosefa said. “I doubt they're not hiding anything about this Monterubio. And Bustamante helped him. It doesn't matter what you think. I know what I'm talking about. I know he abused her. He sent her to prison and she died there.” Honoria expressed sympathy. “He doesn't know what's waiting for him.”

The guards had dragged Maria Dolores back to her room. She was yelling at the doctor for allowing Danny-Boy and his Mama Bears near the baby. She tried to explain that they were trying to take the baby away from her. The guard tried to shut her up. The nurse asked the doctor if she should prepare a sedative. Max walked into the middle of this chaos.
What is going on here?”
Max, you have to help me. Daniel was here with Úrsula and Ivana. They were with my baby!”
Why did you let them in, Doctor?”

Gerry caught Ivana just outside the entrance.
Ivana, don't tell me you've changed your mind about everything we've talked about. After everything these wretches have done. The death of your baby. Everything you've suffered.”
It's better that you know this now. I will not marry you, Gerry. I'm getting back together with Daniel to fight Maria Dolores for our baby.”
Úrsula and Danny-Boy looked at Gerry with smug faces. Gerry left. Ivana stared sadly after him.

You came to this hospital to give birth. Señor Santibañez claims to be the baby's father. You remember that, don't you?” He looked at Max.
Yes, but he has no rights over my daughter.”
That is a legal process which will require a paternity test,” said Max.
So that's a problem between you two that doesn't involve me,” said the doctor. Talk about cowardice.
I am her mother. You won't let me be with my child.”
You are a delinquent, Madam –”
I will not permit you to speak this way, Doctor,” said Max.
I won't involve myself in your problems.”
I'm questioning something that you're accepting as truth. Maria Dolores is the mother of this baby and can't see her while you're allowing the Santibañez and any other stranger access. Why?”
Ivana was holding the baby against her chest inside her gown. I saw it.”
But we didn't do this at their whim. It's necessary for the health of the baby –”
And who authorized this, sir?” shouted Max.
You'll have to ask whom.”
Very well. I am going also to ask who was responsible for all this.”
The doctor nodded and walked out. He had been chastised and he knew it.
You've got to help me, you've got to help me, please,” Maria Dolores said. “I've got to have my baby with me.” She pulled Max a bit closer while watching the guard.
Ivana will have to explain all this to me,” said Max. “She is also the key to your defense. If she refuses to testify she is guilty of covering up a crime.”

Ivana ran after Gerry.
Are you crazy?” he asked her.
Insult me all you want,” she said. “But you have to hear me out. All we started can become reality. Úrsula wants to raise Maria Dolores' baby.”
Of course. And with your help?”
No, no. She said this was her third opportunity to be a mother. Don't you get it? She ruined Maleny's life. She drove her to suicide. And Daniel? He could go the same way. It would be difficult to watch her ruin this baby. I needed to promise to comply so I can rescue her.”
Gerry looked away. He wasn't sure he believed her.
You're talking about something that hasn't happened.”
You know it will, Gerry.”
And you want to facilitate these things?”
No. On the contrary.”
If you're having a setback, I'm not going through with this.”
I'm not going to lie to you. Holding that baby was the most beautiful experience of my life.”
I know! I know! And I can't stay and deal with this.”
Please, please, don't leave me alone!”
I wouldn't. But don't insist on this because the saddest thing of all is that I could end up hating you.”
He walked away, leaving her crying.

Max went back to the ladies and told them what happened. Also that he was going to see Ivana to settle this. Esperanza told him they would wait for him at the hospital.

Úrsula and Danny-Boy arrived home to find Claudio in their parlour.
Señor Bustamante came to talk to you,” said the butler.
Welcome. Señor Bustamante is in our confidence,” said Úrsula. “Thank you. You may retire.”
Isidro left the room.
Why did you tell my son I'm in cahoots with you and the prison director to make Maria Dolores' life so wretched?”
I didn't say anything of the kind. What I did tell him was that you delayed the justice process.”
Hosefa told him. I'm sure that she was in cahoots with you in all of this.”
After what you did to her daughter, what can you expect?” said Danny-Boy.

Marcelo Monterubio came out of the side door of the bank. The press was waiting on the sidewalk with microphones and television cameras. And they out for blood.
Señor Monterubio, what is going on with the young woman found dead in your bank?” asked one reporter.
No comment,” he said.
And are your going to tell them what you did to my daughter?” yelled Hosefa. He turned around. “You must remember me. I'm Hosefa, mother of Marta Ramos Cabrera. You put her in prison with the help of Judge Bustamante.”
The reporters ran to her and caught more accusations from her as Monterubio escaped toward the parking lot. They fired more questions at her. Hosefa then acted like she didn't want to talk.

Don't try to deny it. We know the whole story and not Hosefa's version. We had more reliable sources. Therefore it does no good for them to tell your son you weren't helping us because you had to.”
No, Úrsula. If I caved to your threats I won't do so anymore. If I have to renounce my position and prestige to recover my sons, very well; that's what I'll have to do. I hope this will go well. One more thing: From today on I'm on Maria Dolores' side and I am your enemy. I will make sure you will pay for all the damage you've done.”
He walked out. Danny-Boy looked a little worried. Mama Bear looked as cold as usual.

Max arrived at Ivana's house shortly after she had returned.
I'm here to find out why you went into the nursery. Holding Maria Dolores' baby as though she were your own? What the hell do you think you were doing? Do you know Maria Dolores saw you?”
I didn't know that would happen.”
And I didn't know you were capable of anything like this.”
I will testify for Maria Dolores, but I also want to do something for her baby.”
You don't say, Ivana. In what way?”
Everything I can. Get her into the best hospital, get her the best medical help.”
The best you can do is leave her alone. She has me, she has Maria Dolores, and she has a family.”
Úrsula and Daniel will do anything they can to take her away.”
I won't let that happen.”
Daniel has his rights.”
I remind you that a judge has to decide that.”
Please, Max. Úrsula and Daniel are doing everything they can to take advantage. Including handing her over to me in exchange for cash.”
And bringing you to see her.”
No. If I went to see her it could cost me having Gerry at my side for the rest of my life. He is the only person who truly loves me it's because Úrsula wanted me to want her. If she wants to give me the baby, if she succeeds in taking her away from Maria Dolores I want to return her.”
Max didn't look so sure of this.
I know you don't believe me, like Gerry. But you have to trust me. You have to trust me that I will do what I have told you.”
Alright, Ivana. I will give you a chance. But you must testify in Maria Dolores' favor.”
He walked out. Susanna came downstairs. She must have been listening. She applauded sarcastically.
Bravo. You've missed your calling. What are you going to do now? With the guests, the caterer, the judge? Why don't you take advantage of this by marrying Daniel all over again?”
Ivana got up and left the room. Susanna grinned to herself.

The two guards wrestled Maria Dolores down to the bed to cuff her, then dragged her out of the hospital room, protesting all the way.

Claudio can say whatever he wants. But Monterubio will not be judged, especially now.”
We don't need them, Mother. Maximiliano lost his most important witness: Ivana.”
We will lose Hosefa and Honoria if we don't deliver what we promised. Well, we can say we'll help them and let them believe it. Once Maria Dolores is condemned that works for all of us.”

Leo saw Clara on the street outside the hospital and followed her. He reminded her that when Max and Maria Dolores would be married they wouldn't be able to avoid each other. She said she wasn't avoiding him; she merely had nothing to say. He told her he would be leaving Mexico after his mother died. She congratulated him and reminded him that she didn't have his options. She would be leaving school to work to help her family. She would have liked to become a lawyer, but that wouldn't be possible now. She went back inside.

At the other exit from the hospital the guards dragged Maria Dolores out kicking and shouting. They put her in the back of the police cruiser. She protested and they kept telling her to shut up.

Clara went back to her mother, Corina, and Doris, who were still sitting in the waiting room. She suggested they go home to bathe and have something to eat. Leo followed her back in. He told them that just arrived and he was going to take a picture of the baby to send to his mother.

Claudio went to see Isela. He wanted her forgiveness for not giving his name to her baby and for everything he had done to Marta.

Chelo and Orlando came back from shopping. He tried to explain to her that he had no further romantic interest in Isela. It was just that he felt she needed help because she was pregnant and vulnerable. She finally put him on the spot about telling Doris what she most wanted to hear.

Claudio told Isela that he was at the start of his judicial career, the bank manager's son was about to be married “and then your sister came along.”
It was really my mother! Hosefa is my grandmother! It was my mother's life you ruined and that came down to me, Claudio!”
That wasn't my intention.”
No? Then what was your intention? What did you intend by sending her to prison, Claudio?”
She had a relationship with him. She then threatened him --”
That isn't true! That's not true! The only liar here is you! I have asked you a thousand times! In all your cases, I've asked you before!”
Isela, you'll hurt yourself --”
Not as much as you have hurt me!” She pulled away from him.
You don't know how I feel. This is astonishing. It just got out of control”
So you sent her to prison and they killed her there. Hm? Answer me, Claudio!”
He stared at her with his usual stone-face for a moment and then dropped out of her gaze.
I swear to you I had nothing to do with that.”
I don't believe you.”
I ordered an investigation. The prison officials deny they did it. Try to forget it. My work won't be the same from this moment on. You know that I don't have the right to be on the bench? For that reason I've resigned my position as judge. I did it for my sons, who are honest men. It was the only thing I could do to correct what I've done wrong.”
Claudio, I don't know how many people you've hurt. But this case is my case.”
I will help you find out what happened to your mother in prison.”

Max returned to the hospital only to find out that Maria Dolores had been returned to the prison. He demanded an explanation from the doctor.
How did you let this happen? Just this afternoon you said she had an infection.”
I didn't say that. I said it appeared she had an infection. It turned out to be only a mammary inflammation. The lab tests showed no indication of an infection. Besides, you know I couldn't detain her her in the hospital. Madam, your daughter tried to escape.”
No,” said Esperanza.
A few hours ago. She went after the nurses.”
Yes, because someone was trying to take her daughter,” said Doris.
She had jailors in here except they were in white uniforms rather than black,” said Corina.
Its to your good she didn't do more than that because of what you're doing to her,” said Clara.
What is going to happen to my granddaughter?” asked Esperanza.
You're right, Madam,” said the doctor. “After everything that's happened here, with the baby's father and with whatever's wrong in neonatology, we made a decision. Absolutely nobody will be allowed to see the baby.”
What?”
When the baby is finally stable, we'll give her to her mother or to some closer relative.”

If you want to investigate, do it for yourself. For your conscience. And for Maria Dolores, who is in great danger in the prison where my mother was killed.” Claudio hung his head at this. “The other day I tried to talk to Max, but nobody will listen to me. I am not blaming you. You were taking advantage of the situation. Now you finally listened.”
We've both made mistakes.”
You're right about that, but nothing will allow me to see my mother again. And you are at the point of losing Alma. You said you wouldn't forgive me for what I did to your family. I can't forgive you, either, Claudio. You've just destroyed it all because you're guilty. I'm also guilty, so I guess we're even. If before I asked if you'd give your name to my baby, now I'm telling you I don't want you near her. Because she is all I have out of all this mess. I won't permit you to contaminate her.”
Claudio grabbed her arms.

I love you,” he said. She struggled to free herself.

Labels:


Comments:
Urban, thanks so much for recapping this episode. So much was going on, so much yelling, and scenes flipping back and forth. Other than SN and her slang in MCET, I haven't had such a hard time deciphering the dialog before. Your recap was a gem and thanks from me because you cleared up three parts I had difficulty with understanding.

Ivana -- which way the wind blows there?
 

Thank you UA, as always finely crafted.

"She turned away from the sound of his voice. Smart baby"

I wonder who sent Alma the wreath?

I hope Max has the doctor fired.

I didn't see the doctor take any blood from Dan, only MD.

Wow, another dead young woman but this one at the bank not prison.

Errrrr, Ivana.

I'm so glad Chelo pointed out to Orlando his behavior would confuse anyone, especially Doris. I hate he can smile and sweet talk though and even Chelo rolls over. If he will never love Doris break up with her and let her live her life.

 

Thanks so much, Urban!

Max is giving Ivana the benefit of doubt again. Ugh! He should know by now, that she's a liar, who always tries to paint her intentions in the best light, when they are really selfish. Gerry looks like he's done believing her, but all she has to do is turn on some tears, and talk about "protecting" the baby, and he'll fall for her lies again. Susana saw through her though. I'll believe she'll testify and give the baby back, when I see it.

I bet those guards hustled MD back to prison because she was talking too much, and the doc allowed it because MD and Max were questioning and exposing his lapses in ethics. Jerk. MD is not well enough to go back, and now she'll be more at risk than ever, unless Clod can move quickly to start finally doing some good, and do some housekeeping in that prison.

Tofie- No samples were taken from Dan for a DNA test because Max put a stop to it. They have to wait for the court order and the doctor/clinic the court mandates.
 

I don't believe Isela sent the wreath, so that leaves Josefa. Or Ursula, but I don't think she had time between when Clod said he was now her enemy, and when the wreath arrived.

My favorite line of the night was Clara saying to Leo that she thought she had fallen in love with a man, but it turns out he was a little boy. And how after laying out the cold hard truth of her bleak present and future, she sarcastically told him that to be polite she should have just told him she was fine and excited about going to law school some day, but she knows how much he hates lies. Ouch. Yeah, Leo felt that.

Really worried about this "promotions" job she's taking. None of her alarm bells are going off, but mine sure are.
 

Thank you UA. I'm with all of you, Ivana has gone back and forth more times than a ping pong game. She says she wants to help the baby, then she should testify in favor of MD. That's the best way to help the baby.

So NOW Claudio is on board to help MD. He says that right after he calls her wretched. I guess we can figure out that he did have it in for MD from the beginning now that we know how he feels about her.

I can't wait to hear what Orlando's answer to Chelito's question is.
 

Cathyx- I actually don't remember Clod calling MD wretched. I'm at work, so I can't access the episode. Perhaps someone else can take another listen.

In any case, he clearly didn't see MD or Marta as important enough to have second thoughts about playing with THEIR lives in order to protect himself and his friend. They were poor, lower class, little women, and therefore didn't have value in his eyes. No need to think about how HIS choices affected their families. Isela gave him a glimpse of how his decision about Marta's life affected many people for years to come, including HIS family, and now HIS child-- Marta's grandchild. We're all connected, Clod.
 

"Desgraciada" was the word Claudio used and Google Translate calls it as "wretched" although to me that word always comes off as meaning something even worse, as in something pitiless and/or shameful.

So is the nuance of language.

Vivi, I completely agree with you about why MD is being dragged back to the prison. Those two guards are Marcia's enablers and when she falls so will they. It won't matter then that Corina may have said anything to Max (and why didn't she speak up as soon as she got out?). As Leo pointed out before, MD will never get those five or six months of her life back. Her health and the baby's could be permanently compromised after all this as well. Not to mention what this experience is doing to MD's mental health.

That doctor in the hospital should be hauled before a medical disciplinary committee whether he was paid off by Ursula or not. That he treated MD as he did and allowed her to be dragged out before she recovered is disgusting.

Now for Ivana....

I also wonder whether Max is making a huge mistake in trusting her. He should have insisted that she accompany him immediately for that testimony. She may or may not fear legal consequences for her prior silence. I hope there are some.

Hence the title...

More later.
 

I'm beginning to think that Ivana isn't supposed to give her testimony until MD's hearing, and that's why it's taking so long. I can just see the scene now. On one side is Dan holding the baby, and on the other side is Max. And she's looking back and forth between them before she speaks.
 

Yes, UA, that's what I heard too. Desgraciada.
 

Daniel wants MD so bad I wouldn't put it past him to cheat on the paternity tests, then coerce MD into giving him another chance so they can raise the baby together.

Other than Corina, what has Max done for MD? ?. Everything he promises doesn't come true.

Sure he is there to love her and support her, but I'm not sure what else.
In a way I look forward to seeing the end of this novela because I can't stand the hound dog look of Claudio everytime that he lowers his head with that forlorn look.
 

Cathyx- Yep. At this point everyone is waiting for the hearing to testify (Ivana, Honoria, Josefa), which of course kept getting put off by Clod. We don't know whether or not Ivana has already made statements to the police pre-hearing. This might have made a difference in getting MD out on bail, had she not been immediately thrown in prison. The question is, if Ivana DID make a statement to the police already in favor of MD, and then changes her testimony on the stand at the hearing, will she be in legal trouble? Is that what Max meant when he said he'd bring the law down on Ivana?

Desgraciada call also just mean the one with bad luck/the unfortunate one-- which MD is.
 

There's been a correction, thanks to an e-mail from Carlos. It changes the entire meaning of the sentence in question. It's that the prison warden is permitting conditions to make MD's life wretched, not that he thought she was.

However, it still doesn't make me change the title from what it is. Both Claudio and Ivana are a day late and a dollar short.

Max is demanding the conditions I asked for in Poder discussions: A court-ordered blood test with the appropriate chain of evidence. Unless Ursula is capable of bribing everyone in that chain of evidence this should be the last word.

Of course, given the horrible conditions of MD's solitary confinement it is a good bet that the baby will have a medical crises that will require a blood transfusion which will necessitate tests and that could bring on what some of us have been hoping for, which is that Max is her father.
 

OT, but important: According to TV Guide's website, Univision's prime time lineup is pre-empted for holiday programming both on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. So all Thursday authors get the night off on both dates.
 

Thank you for the recap Urban! It was so exiting to relieve the episode through your eyes and words!

I've been very busy with work lately so I haven't been able to comment but I do check out the recaps when I can. This telenovela is so dark but it was so good to see the complicated twists and turns.

Well, things got from bad to worse, poor MD! She only got to see her daughter when she was being held by a woman who wants to steal her. Ivana needs to take a look at her choices, she is even richer and more powerful than the Santibañez; she'd be a great ally to that baby girl who needs her real mother by her side, not an obsessive stranger.

Leo is clearly showing the reason why he isn't trusted to know things, since he can't act with maturity yet. It was so important for him to let Clara know how hurt he still was by telling her he would leave the country after his mother's death that he forgot to see how she's dealing with her own painful lot in life, without any safety net to rely on just to be assured that she'll have food on the table.

Jarocha
 

Leo doesn't know the half of it and when he does I'm sure he will change his mind.

I'm hoping Alma has the strength to hold on long enough to have a good talk with that boy. He's a wonderful son and mostly a good boyfriend, but still has growing up to do. And since I have the same bad vibe as Vivi about what Clara is about to get herself into, I'm also thinking that he needs to rescue her from that.
 

I thought I heard in this episode that Ivana hasn't given any statements yet. I'm too lazy to go back and watch.

I can't see how, even with Claudio doing everything in his power to undo everything he's done, that Max and Alma could ever forgive him like he thinks.
 

Urban--Not only did we have rapid fire conversations, yelling, and scene changing, but we got loud music at key junctures. I'm amazed and pleased you pulled it all together for us. Thank you for your endurance in order to bring us a well crafted recap.

My old print dictionary defines desgraciada as unfortunate, hapless, luckless. Any of these fit better into what Clod said. He'd already decided to help MD and had come to the Santibanez manse to tell Ursula that. I still think he's a slippery old snake. Now I much more appreciate the actor portraying the role. His stony-face doesn't give away anything--no feelings, no consideration, no empathy, don't know what he's thinking, no nothing.

My questions of the day are: What did Alma see in him and What about him made Isela "fall in love" with him once they started having sex. Well, she got to live in a mansion for awhile and have her own luxury bathroom. Other than that, he gave her nothing. He didn't even follow through with that apartment he and Alma were going to give her.

I wonder if Honoria didn't send the wreath. It was a funeral wreath. No wonder it and the note affected Alma. Hon was talking to Hosefa about how her vengeance was just getting started--against MD and Daniel; but I wouldn't put it past her to stir up trouble between the Bustamantes and Hosefa. Of course, the logical person would be Hosefa.

I had to turn away from watching the treatment MD was getting from the guards. This actress needs some kind of special award for portraying a decent young woman who is defrauded, victimized, terrorized, blackmailed, nearly dying in a fire, raped, beaten, tortured, assaulted, involved in an accidental death by gunshot, imprisoned, deprived of decent food and medical care, abused, kept from bonding with her child, etc., in just about every episode of this whole telenovela and doing with class and above all, believability.

cathyx--I think you are correct, based on what Max said, that he expects Ivana to testify at MD's hearing in her favor. What I don't understand, is that she was an eyewitness. Of course, the police investigators didn't know that, but why didn't Max tell them there was an eyewitness they should interview. It should have been appropriate for her to give her "statement" to corroborate MD's story.

I guess since MD hasn't even been before a judge it's moot (although we know she didn't get bail, so some sort of legal proceeding took place without her). Maybe that's why Ivana has been able to be so wishy-washy for so long about her testimony--giving her time to decide what is in her best interests. To her credit--she knows this is her one and only ace in the hole against Danny-Boy.

I still don't trust Ivana to be telling the truth to anybody.

This novela should have been titled, Yo No Creo en Nada Que Me Dicen Hombres o Mujeres.
 

Jarocha- ITA about Leo. Sure, his mother is dying. But unlike Clara with her father, he is having the chance to say goodbye to Alma. And once his mother passes, he can start a new life and adventures, with his only job being to get past his grief and go to college. Clara doesn't even have time to grieve, and she certainly doesn't have the luxury of starting over, fresh, with new (happy) adventures, because she has no money. They is no escape from her sadness and her misfortunes.
 

Vivi--As always, your fingers are faster than mine. You came up with pretty much the same thing I did while I was still thinking and composing.
 

Vivi: You explained Clara's situation so perfectly. She's dealing with too much right now, it's why Leo's actions bother me so much.

Anita: I've often thought of the novela title having a broader meaning than one might think. In Spanish, when you talk about "los hombres" or "el hombre" you could be speaking about all mankind, not just the males. So the title could go either way, I don't believe in men or I don't believe in mankind.

Jaroch
 

Corina said the title twice so far. And both times I believe she was referring to men.
 

Jarocha--Your correction clarifies the title for me--I've always been mentally interpreting it as MEN, as in the kind Maria Dolores had to deal with, starting with Jacinto and Daniel, and my opinion never changed--even Max is tainted. But then I got confused when it was the WOMEN who were doing so much lying, conniving and manipulating, starting with Ivana and Ursula. Thank goodness it's almost over. Can't quite say I've enjoyed or liked watching this novela, but it certainly has been intense with good actors interpreting a great story.
 

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to say that it doesn't refer to humankind also, just that when Corina said it, I think she was referring to men.
 

I always thought of it as "men" especially since Corina was the first to say it. As it applies to MD, her judgement has been questionable period. She herself trusted Dan because she felt sorry for him only to be raped.

I don't believe Ivana has made her statement. Not knowing Mexican law I assume any statement in defense would be in front of a judge at trial and unless she has made statements under oath can say whatever she wants. Inconsistent statements however would serve the same purpose (in US law) for impeaching a witness, making any testimony questionable and disregarded.
 

Cathyx- Definitely when Corina said it she meant men specifically (although she also said she was starting not to believe in women too). But as a general title of the tn, I can see how it means mankind in general. Many of our characters have let life's setbacks and hardships warp and destroy their belief in the goodness of other human beings. Every character has suffered somehow and to differing degrees, and I'm guessing the last people standing will be the ones who believe in the goodness of their fellow (hum)man, and who show understanding, kindness and goodness in return when push comes to shove.
 

Great recap, thanks. Oy, I guess MD earns that name "Dolores" Lord have mercy, poor woman. I know she must be at her breaking point. If those vultures get her baby I am sure she will break. Max has not been able to keep any of his promises( with good reasons) and if he can't protect the baby then MD will lose her faith in him. I don't believe Ivana for a second. Clara is getting herself in deep trouble. That guy is scuzzy. Whoever sent the funeral wreath is lower than dirt.
Romy
 

MD was not raped because she trusted Dan. She was raped because Dan is an obsessed psycho who refuses to be rejected (which she had done to him in no uncertain terms by that point). MD could have never started a relationship with Dan or even gone on one date with him, and he could have still become obsessed with her, refused to accept her nos, and raped her, still believing that some day they will be a happy couple, just as he does now.
 

Humanity definitely gets a bad rap from this story, especially because of the previously good Honoria and the ill-perceived Claudio as honorable.

We've had previous discussions on the subject of misogyny here and I think this series has lots of fodder for another one. We have women who lie, cheat, steal, gaslight, and even kill for self-serving purposes and most of their victims are other women. Most of the men victimize women in this story as well: Only Max, Leo, Adrian, and Gerry (RIP Julian), are off the hook for this. Fermin has turned himself around, but he abandoned Honoria when she needed him the most. I am also realizing that he hasn't paid for sending those thugs to rob Rudolfo whom they killed (even if that wasn't the intended outcome).

Maybe more later. Tonight's recap of Poder needs to be done and will probably be a little late because I'm not well, either.
 

Yeah I like him but Max is toast unless he's the father and even then how does she ever trust him on anything, he cannot deliver, good guy but ineffective. Let's see, he got Julian and his buddies out, Corina out, messed up Dan's plan to take Espy's house (except that is not resolved either), that's it. MD needs a new attorney.
 

Urban
How goes P&P, is it worth watching?


Again fantastic recap.

Get well soon.
 

MD trusted that Dan would not hurt her because she saw something in his tears and begging. She admitted that mistake and sadly blamed herself.

I totally agree it was the no that set Dan off, he never had anyone tell him no.
 

No lawyer could deliver MD's freedom. Claudio had clout with the judge, who had all the power to keep her in jail indefinitely. So Max isn't to blame for being a bad lawyer. In a corrupt system, you can be the best at your craft and it won't make any difference if people can be bought.

Victoria, in my opinion on Pasion y Poder, I bailed, it wasn't worth my time.
 

Max is too emotionally invested to be effective. He just gave Ivana a pass, another attorney wouldn't and would demand she declare and if not would then be able to work on a different defense. As it stands Max has set himself up to be blindsided. I also believe the relationship between Max and MD made it easier for her to remain mum about the visit to the prison by Dan and the subsequent ill treatment.
 

Poder is worth it to see Televisa's two most alpha males go at each other. It's also FC's first villain role and the first time either is portraying someone with adult children.

It's also got a lot of female fashion felonies that I will put into another weekend gallery.

BTW, due to two holiday weekends coming up the next weekend discussion will be after the new year celebrations end.
 

Thank you Urban for the detailed recap of the actual conversations last night; the English cc's were completely useless and I just had to guess what was going on.
Most unexpected surprise for me was Claudio resignation as a judge. Most predictable was his t'amo to Isela. Sickening clod.
My fondest hope: that MD's daughter will also be Max's!
 

Max's problems with the legal case aren't about his ability/effectiveness as a lawyer, but his father blocking his path. Claudio must suffer for this. He was actually quite calm (relatively) with everything that happened. Except for some minor shoving of Dan, he held it together to provide the support MD, et al, need right now. And I don't think he really gave Ivana a pass for her behavior. He made it clear that she'd better testify. MD hasn't been asked to sign away any legal rights to Ivana, and Ivana claims to be on their side. She-Ivana- hasn't done anything illegal (yet) to give Max a reason to do anything. All he can do is wait and see what her next move is and them go from there. He clearly doesn't trust her though.

Susanna, on the other hand, totally has Ivana's number. (I assume because I don't trust her either). This is why I like Aunt Susie. She's mean but has never bought into whatever game Ivana is playing. She knows Ivana is no better than she is, much as that irritates Ivana.

kelly
 

I think I want to marry Gerry.

Sending that wreath to poor Alma is nothing but pure sadism, designed to hurt. For this reason, it must be Josefa... the woman needs to be locked away for good- I'd love to see her and Abuela go toe-to-toe.
 

I think it's Josefa too. But it could be Honoria. After what she said today, and the pain she's in, I can see her sending it too.
 

My bet is on Honoria!
 

UA, splended recap. What a mess. Ivanna is a liar. She is so guilty. She knows if she can
She would have takin baby md and haul assed out Out of that hospital as fast as her
fashionista legs to take her. Poor gerry. He
Should just give up.
I can't stand honoria. I don't think she's grieving anymore cuz right now she's just being plain nasty. Hosefa is just happy hating people. No Particular reason just need someone to hate. It's an addiction for her. And Honora is falling into that same trap.
Im just waitin for the episode when ursy, danny, that butchy prison warden and her guard maidens, arango, judge busty and his
Partener in crime......get theirs. O what a really miserable story this is but the actors are really good at what they do.
That was a nasty thing some one did to send
That wreath and then sign Isela's name on it.
Did that hateful honora do that? Would not be surprised, she's just that nasty now.
Susanna, Ivana; like aunty, like neice!! Ivanna
Really should own her nastiness, shes just
Like auntee.♥♥♥♥ black heart and all.


 

I don't see how people are claiming Max is not untrustworthy or can't deliver...Max is fighting with both of his hands tied behind his back. The left hand is Claudio blocking everything and the right hand is Maria Dolores lying/omitting things. How is Max supposed to fix things when his client is continously lying and hiding things from him & his father, who is/was an influential judge is pulling strings behind the scenes & getting the judicial community to close ranks on Max?

Quite frankly, it's a testament to Max's commitment to Maria Dolores that he hasn't washed his hands of her because if I were Alma (and not dying), I would've advised him to wash his hands of MD a long time ago.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder