Friday, February 14, 2020

CarayCaray Lexicon for The Patio of Lowered Expectations - Part I





PATIO-SPECIFIC GLOSSARY
 
Patio of Lowered Expectations – A virtual location furnished with tables, umbrellas and drinks of choice. Viewers choose a table around which to congregate and support characters. Seats not reserved. Shifting to other tables usually follows shifting plot lines. Viewerville has learned that in order to enjoy this patio, love, ecstasy, hope, solid storyline and believable characters are rare, but enough to make it possible to get to La Boda at the end. (Note: In the last couple of years, bodas have fallen out of favor, replaced by a paltry El Fin—thus further lowering expectations.)
 
Petite Patio – This occurs when a telenovela sinks under its own weight due to an atrocious story, regardless of the quality of the cast, direction and filming. As the Patio shrinks, what is left is the Petite Patio, committed to each other, rather than to the telenovela. (JudyB, in reference to the Patio during Y Mañana Sera Otro Día.)
 

Limpid Pool – Every Patio needs one of these to take the heat off bodily sensations engendered by the current viewing offering. (It is possible this was used first by Elna June in El Talisman. At least her avatar was closely associated with a bare leg extended over a pool for awhile.)
 
Telenovelaland – Magical world where hearts and bodies can be broken and where the hearts and sometimes bodies can be fixed. The feeling lasts 5-6 months to be replaced by other hearts and bodies.
 
Gringolandia  A large country up north where all the actors speak English with Spanish (mainly standardized Mexican) accents. The term was used by bigger-than-life, Elvis (Raul Coronado), in Un Poquito Tuyo in 2019, but used afore by NovelaMaven in Triunfo de Amor referring to Sweet William seeking his fortune away up in Gringolandia.
 
Telenovelogical - NovelaMaven reminded us she made up this word for the Caray lexicon “~grins~” This obviously refers to the occasions where regular logic is not applied. Repeated regularly for the Patio in Amores Verdaderos.

Spinning gold into straw – A reference to telenovela script writers who have taken a nugget of a good story and turned it into something trite, knowingly or not. (Susanlynn coined this regarding Hijas de la Luna.)
 
CrockPot Theory© - Applied to predictions for outcomes of certain story lines. (Etymology: Derived from Crackpot Theory. Doris learned it from NovelaMaven while watching Reina de Corazones, who shared her Crackpot Theories on how the story might go. A simple typo created the CrockPot Theory. It was easily applied thereafter because such theories are slow cookers before they are proven right or wrong.)
 
Yuckisode – Applied to an episode that is…yucky, by a weary commenter. Nevertheless, it compels the viewer to watch the next episode of an untidy, disjointed, haphazardly written telenovela that ends each episode in a cliffhanger. (Coined by Kirby referring to the aftermath of a bloodbath in El Dragón.)
 
Plot Propeller* – Does just what it says--a person or situation that is only there to propel the story forward. (Etymology: JudyB used it in reference to Susana’s drinking the “KoolAid” in Amar a Muerte.)  *Phrase not to be confused with Plot Filler, a known tactic used liberally and which is unconnected to the main storyline.
 
Beanie – Recommended headgear worn when watching most telenovelas. During some scenes, the beanie must be tightened in order to believe the action and dialog that come through the airwaves. Beanies can be enhanced by a number of different linings (titanium is favored), extra antennae, chin straps and ear muffs (for cold weather countries). A beanie should be worn for any occasion which requires a suspension of belief. (Note: Emilia’s Beanies are specialty items, handcrafted and thus, exclusive. Not everyone has access to her fine knitted products and they are no longer available at Tal-Mart.)
 
Anvils – Just desserts meted out to persons, who, with evil intentions, wreaked chaos, discord and harm throughout the story. (Example: Her plane bursts into flames. Bernarda de Iturbide is surely in hell now. I can’t speak to the final destination of the flight attendant, copilot and pilot who were on board with her. In my opinion, anvils should be more precisely aimed than this one. NovelaMaven in her recap of El Gran Fínale of Triunfo de Amor.)
 
Nerfazos – Items that can be hurled at a tv screen when something happens a Carayer didn’t want to have happen that won’t crack the screen. Akin to Nerfballs. Nerfazos are bigger and indicate a greater show of anger. The soft construction  makes it possible to release pent up feelings yet view the next scene without requiring a replacement for the screen. (Etymology: Of uncertain origin, also born in the mists of time and used less frequently as time wears on.)
 
Next! – Declaration that it’s time to move on to another phase or action. (Etymology: A favorite moniker applied by Dear Dr. Carlos (RIP) when he was done with whatever immediately preceded it.)
 
Juarever – Corruption of the English “Whatever” as pronounced by a native Spanish language speaker. It has the same meaning as the English but would not be understood outside CarayCaray territorial borders. (First introduced to Caray by Pablo. Used excessively in PEAM.)
 
Hopeo; hopeoing – To show a strong desire for some action to take place. (Created by Susanlynn via typo, picked up by Kirby. Has since come into general usage starting with RGV Chick and others—befitting many occasions.)
 
Must See TV – Admonition that the next episode will be better than the one just watched and it would be viewerville’s loss to not watch it. (Gringo’s sign-off, first noticed on Lo Imperdonable, but may have been used anteriorly.)
 
I Watched Until I Just Couldn't Anymore! – Exclamation by exasperated viewers who just can’t stomach the content, directing or acting of a current show, when not even the Cozy Caray Community could make them watch along with them. (Declaration made by Andy Banda, in good conscience, referring to Hijas—although he did make it all the way through Y Mañana Será Otro Día—the latter a point of pride, I suspect.)

==++==
Please note: This lexicon is not comprehensive nor exhaustive. It is selective.
Parts II & III will be published later.

 

Labels:


Comments:
Oh Anita.

Just marvelous. "Patio Specific Glossary". Beyond clever.You've made my day...

Every phrase was a treasure.

I admit a very fond weakness for the Patio of Lowered Expectations. "Seats not reserved. Shifting to other tables usually follows shifting plot lines. Viewerville has learned that in order to enjoy this patio, love, ecstasy, hope, solid storyline and believable characters are rare, but enough to make it possible to get to La Boda at the end. Indeed!

All quotes were wonderful and it was heartening to see so many from current recappers and commenters. Also, this was a lovely stroll down memory lane as well, remembering loved ones lost forever(Carlos) and sweet commenters (Gringo) who have left.

What an astute, creative patio we have.

Thank you Anita. "This lexicon is not comprehensive nor exhaustive. It is selective" was the lovely icing on your sweet cake.

I cannot wait to read the next!

Diana
 

Thank you, Anita. You brought back so many lovely, happy memories of moments spent here over the years ..maybe 11 for me .

Elna June, a witty , so we treasure, and I loved that avatar of her foot raised over the pool.
 

Thank you, Anita! This is a priceless gem.

For some reason, I want to think NovelaMaven initiated the Nerfazos terminology. It was so long ago that I'm not sure, but lanzar nerfazos always makes me think of her.

I wonder where NovelaMaven is? I really miss her witty comments and recaps.
 

Anita, thanks! This is just great and so much fun.
 

Does anyone remember who created the term " recrap?
 

Susanlynn, I think it was doris or Anita.

But, I'm not sure...

Diana
 

This was great! Look forward to the next section. A perfect transition piece between TNs.
 

WOW WOW WOW...This was so much fun to read Anita. So clever and also so nostalgic, as you brought back so many clever comments from vanished recappers (NovelaMaven), vanished commenters (Gringo), vanished knitters (Emilia) and our dear departed Carlos. You did a marvelous job on this and brightened this frosty, down in the teens frigid morning. Thanks.
 

OT..judyb...sunny but 25 here ...down in teens last night.
 

It was fun to do. Thanks, Patio denizens, even in this cold weather. What we do endure for the good of the broadcasting moguls.

The entries had been accumulating for several years and I didn't know what else to do with all the gems. As I explained in my note--the lexicon was selective because it was drawn from the novelas I watched. I'm sorry they all couldn't have been covered.

Recrap was not one I contributed. We picked up on it immediately since there were episodes ad infinitum that merited the label.
 

Recrap .... I don't think I came up with that, either. Maybe Kirby?

And who came up with craptastic?
 

Anita

Reading this was so much fun and nostalgic. Most of them I didn't remember, but just reading the novela and Caraymates' names was a thrill.

You were a doll to put this together. It must have taken you quite a long time!

At present, I'm in Caray withdrawal, as I'm not watching any novelas that are currently airing in the USA. Man,I didn't realize I had it so bad.

I look forward to joining in again shortly.
 

Victoria--
I do wish you would try out the new afternoon, tea-time offering of Juan Soler and Daniela Castro--or did you already see it? It was supposed to come to us in 2017, so I've been waiting for three years. It did get broadcast in Mexico starting in 2017.

Doris--
I think recrap came into use back in the days of FELS. It probably deserved a prize for having the most crappy episodes, which made it all the more fun. I didn't see it in its Caray run, but later on in reruns, but I read the recaps as it went along. I never remember laughing so hard--unless it was at El Talisman.

Craptastic is one I hadn't heard. Tell me more. Where would it have been used?
 

I think that recrap was before Kirby joined us. I was sure that Judy would remember who coined the term . Who does it sound like ? Sylvia ( Captain Sharkbite)? Carlos ? Connie? Cynderella?
 

Anita - AFAIK "craptastic" has been used to describe a really awful telenovela episode (HIJAS, anyone?) and quite often it is the perfect way to describe them.
 

CRAPTASTIC - I did a search here (someone explained, a couple of telenovelas ago, how to do that here on Caray) and the earliest use of this word was here, first used by beckster, (whose recaps were always a scream) in a FELS recap . Seriously, I think FELS went down in telenovela history on many levels. LOL

https://caraycaray.blogspot.com/search?q=%22craptastic%22

Friday, December 05, 2008
Fuego 12-04-2008 'Antiquis temporibus'
The truth shall set you free…
I am a great believer in the truth, without the truth you are treading on quicksand. Sometimes people don’t like the truth, which if fine. Sometimes I don’t tell the truth as in “Does this make my butt look big?”. However, I try to be as truthful as possible when relating this recap. The truth is this, these are some of the most stupid persons to grace a tale. If stupidity could power cars, polar bears would elect Juan President of the Earth. Seriously, we spent the first two nights of this craptastic story, watching Bernardo make sweet Feb/Dec love to young mentally deficient Libia. (Feb/Dec as in not even in the same year). This was barely legal (I’m not actually sure if it would be legal, due to her age and her child like mental state, however I am not versed on the legalities so we will just stick with bad form). Since that time we have endured the same drawn out, overplayed hand. The only thing that has changed is somewhere along the dull endless path, Sofie popped a kid out, Juan went on a sabbatical to visit Indians, who thought he was smart, how sad is that?

 

Anita, what a spectacular lexicon! I have so many fond memories of reading these used to perfection by our excellent commenters. We Carayers are top-notch satirists. Having spent years lately in Telemundoland, I missed the beginning of the usage of "Patio of Lowered Expectations". How I love that one!

And FELS! I can almost see Big Ed in my mind's eye wandering through some jungle. Wasn't there a witchdoctor? Or have I lost my last neuron?
 

novelera - yes, Juan did spend a few weeks of truly ridiculous filler episodes in some jungle where we also has Dr. Hot Lips (Sofia Verfara) and that weird witch doctor might have been the "diaper guy".
 

FELS

Ugh.... typing on this tablet with a dog in my lap last night, and I missed the typos. Sofía Vergara was one of the . ~rolls eyes~
 

Anita, BRAVO!! I didn't have the privilege of knowing several of the people mentioned, but they did come up with some excellent terms and phrases. If this was a fun read for me, I can just imagine how wonderful it was for those of you who did get to "meet" these people who are no longer on Caray...fortuneately, we still have those who grace us with their humor and wit.

#carayrocks
 

FELS

Good morning everyone!

Yes, Sofia Vergara was "hot lips" in FELS and the witch doctor/diaper guy was Adalberto Parra who is currently in Ringo as Antunes. He has always had usually evil, offbeat parts :)

Diana
 

Anita, your vocab is a delight. I laughed all the way. I'm in awe of Carayers who have the gift for coining just the perfect word or phrase for the situation.

I'm the proud owner of an Emilia beanie. It's gorgeous, I always get compliments when I wear it.
 

Niecie--
You and I were so fortunate to meet Mike and Emilia in person, along with Vivi and others at our "mid-Atlantic" meet up. We should plan another one for later in the Spring.
 

Anita, what an amazing lexicon! Brava!

Question: Is there some place that sells Nerfazos by the case? I need several to use while watching each episode of Telemundo's infuriating La Doña 2. And then, of course, there's the nightly news!
 

Ya, Juanita, I’m so sorry. Tal-Mart went out of business a long time ago. There are only Virtual Nerfazos now. They are easily available, just conjure them up.. I catch the previews for La Dona before watching Pacifico and I feel for you—David Zepeda is in it. We can be thankful over on Univision that he migrated to whoever produces for Telemundo.
 

Oh, DZ Just ruins everything he is in! I only could only brave him in Sortilegio (my eyes stayed locked on William Levy) and PASL just because he wasn't a main character. But now he's going to have a side role in Médicos, línea de la vida. I just hope he hops in and out as fast as a lighting bolt.
 

Here, here for a Mid-Atlantic meetup! I've had the happy chance to meet a number of Caraymates in person, but it's been catch as catch-can. I would happily drive a few hours with enough warning.

I claim "limpid pool" as my own. El Tal was an incredible churn of new vocabulary, mostly because we had NO WORDS FOR WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO US.
 

I also loved how we used to order pitchers of appropriate drinks for the various tables on the Patio -- Zombies, Stingers, Sex on the Beach...
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder