Friday, November 24, 2006

Great word: Guácala!

I had to look up the definition. Evidently guácala is from the Nuatl language, I saw this in a forum: "I can't believe the word is not in the dictionary! being of universal usage (from México to Argentina). I looked it up and the term seems to be Nahua (Mexican) in origin. Guácala is used to express disgust, loathing... Mexican use the term 'guacamole' for an icky slimy greenish sauce made with avocados. Guácala! They also have the expression 'guacarear' (or 'huacarear) for to vomit."

Lety used this when Tomás said he'd kissed the Oxi.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Weird. I *love* guacamole!
 

Thanks for digging that out. I wondered where it came from. There was a short mention of it on a different foro but no explanation. (I will never forget the verbs to vomit ever again!)

The guacamole I know and love is anything but slimy;it is delicious!
 

Fantastic sleuthing. One of the best parts of this recapping is discovering these great words and phrases. I, too, will never forget this verb, but to me guacamole is food of the gods. In fact I think I'll go make some right now!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder