Tuesday, January 16, 2007

La Fea Más Bella #188 1/15/07 in which irritatingly white beauty queens don eveningwear

Omar is reminding Fern: "We have to talk with Lety's father." "No no Carvajal, that man makes me very tense." Teresita comes in and puts on the pressure - Fern promises he'll have talked to Lety's family by the next day. After she leaves, Omar calls him Staffordshire (some kind of fighting dog?) and says, "Don't tell me you still feel pity for Lety?" "No, I don't. She's out of my life, I hope she marries, far away."

Bustling about in the big conference room: the cuartel and all possible hangers-on and spouses and children and finally el chavo (the kid) (which is, not one of the actual kids, but Simon) and popcorn and whatever, and eventually the bald creepy guy and even Celso, who has no interest in guarding the premises when there is beauty ogling to be done.

In Acapulco: the girls gossip that guapisimo Aldo only has eyes for Lety. Lety demurs, "No, we're just friends!" "Very! Good! Friends!" the girls titter. "He's so handsome and enchanting, you're lucky." Lety fusses over the girls as they prepare to go on the air: "Don't forget your inner beauty." They sashay out and Anais, the MC, grins at Lety: "There's nothing left of that opaque, sad Lety." "Well, the world turns," says Lety. "I quit Conceptos, that work was killing me." "Now you look so enthusiastic, full of life, content." "That's how you see me? I'm revived. Aldo showed me there's more to me than first appears." "Oh, so he's like your fairy godfather! You illuminate the world." "Well, for now maybe just 10 watts..."

At the Padilla Palace: Julieta, Erasmo, Moty, and of course Tomas are lined up in front of the tv. The phone rings, Julieta picks up, it's Omar asking for Mr. Padilla, "it's personal." "He's not here." "When might I talk to him?" "He won't be here for a few days." "But I can hear his voice." "No! I imagine you're Mr. Mendiola's messenger, so tell him not to bother us." Fern grabs the phone, shouting and babbling, "Don't complicate things, esta poniendo esto color de hormiga [sez my captions: HELP! what does "ant color" signify??], don't hide your daughter..." Julieta firmly insists: "Respect my family!" and hangs up. She sidles over to Tomas and asks him to distract Erasmo while she disconnects all the phones. Tomas sez to Erasmo, "How about them beauties?" and Erasmo scolds, "I don't care about them at all, I just want to see my queen, my daughter." [I loved how he said that so much, I had to rewind and listen again!] "Gee, you're an optimist, is that a characteristic of being in your dotage, do you think you'll see her modeling?" "Don't be a BOBO, you're only good enough to put sugar on your mother's donuts." Erasmo's jaw goes slack over some model or other and Tomas sighs and pulls out his photo of Alicia, whom he claims to be superior to the tv beauties. Erasmo sees Lety on tv!

Alicia barges into Marcia's apartment and exclaims over the mess. Marcia stops dead at the sight of Fern's unpacked suitcase still sitting there. She says tenderly, "that's where it belongs." Alicia posits, "still ready for your honeymoon in the Middle East?" The TV goes on and Alicia begins criticizing the Bellezas and doing her own cat-walk stalk, talking constantly. "SHUT UP!" suggests Marcia. [Note that Alicia has to put a pillow across her lap in order to sit down.] Alicia criticizes the contestants' crooked legs. Again, "SHUT UP!" [And again with the pillow across the lap. That's when you know your skirt is too short.]

Omar and Fern consider the fact that Erasmo, unemployed as he is, undoubtedly spends all day every day at home. Just then Marcia calls. "Did you talk to Lety's family? No? Well, another thing - you didn't take your suitcase, why not?" Fern's answer ("I uh was in a hurry and didn't have time.") chills her and she snaps, "well your stuff is bothering me, come get it this very day." She hangs up. Fern: "Omar, the whole world hangs up on me."

Omar tells Fern he has three options tonight: go to Marcia, which will resolve some problems; go home, sleep, and go a little more crazy; go to a bar and get some guys to beat him up on the other side so both sides of his face match. "Nice choices, Carvajal. Leave!"

Back to Acapulco. Aldo shows up muy guapo in his tux and looks anxiously for Lety. They sit together and listen to Shayla's pretty, happy love song and both their faces shine. [I don't care, Aldo-haters: Aldo looks utterly adorable! I wish some guy would gaze at ME like that! OK, enough of personal reflections.]

Luigi, looking for Irma (he needs some music she has on a disc) mocks Fern and says he's like the dolls in Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

Fern hears shouts in the conference room and goes in, where everybody is fascinated with his beatup face and he tells more random lies about how it got that way. He asks Simon to go get his car, and while he waits he watches the tube. He SEES LETY AND ALDO! He is MUY IMPACTADO! However, he thinks he's overheated and seeing mirages - he doesn't believe his eyes - so it was just a tease.

Then Luigi enters the conference room, exclaims at the profusion of unbeautiful people, then grows enchanted with the show - "look at that gorgeous - gown! Who designed that? That's why HE gets the big bucks and I'm stuck here. It should be ME doing that..." He spies Irma hiding behind the potted plant (trying to avoid having to go work when everybody else is ogling beauties on tv) - she says she is just cleaning it.

In Acapulco, "Lu" sings a sad song and Lety and Aldo grow pensive. There is a lovely, moving montage of past moments of love, happiness, and betrayal. We see Marcia having her own wistful remembrances as Lu sings, "I want to forget you ever made me happy. Life without you is a punishment..." Lety cries as Aldo looks at her tenderly and sympathetically, like a guy who understands trouble.

Fern stares at his beat-up fish-eye lens photo of Lety. "I have to stop deceiving myself, Lety won't come back because she doesn't love me. It's my own fault I lost her, through my stupidity she's lost forever."

And the winner is! Uninterestingly, Miss Puebla, whose speech is as follows: "I don't know if my parents are proud, but I'm satisfied with myself. Thanks to the very beautiful woman who helped me fulfill my dream." She shows us every one of her 88 teeth. Lety beams proudly.

[Editor's aside: every contestant is incredibly white. Where are the darker-skinned beauties? I am tired tired tired of the kneejerk racism of telenovelaland.]

After the winner is announced Alicia babbles and pretends (poorly) to be Garbo. Sarcastically Marcia suggests: "You should be the queen." Alicia misses the sarcasm since to her this is self-evident. "Marcia, when we lived together, we'd watch this show and snark the contestants. This time you didn't utter one criticism! Are you sick? You don't even know who won." Marcia says she's distracted because she's going to be seeing Mr. Mendiola. "Marcia, you need a vacation, let's go to Acapulco, breathe pure air, find ourselves some millionaires."

Caro comes up to Aldo and Lety and says she's beat and will turn in early, since they're heading back to Mexico City in the morning. Lety says she'd like to go say goodbye to Acapulco at the beach and Aldo is most eager to accompany her. Aldo kisses Caro, saying, "Thanks for bringing me Lety." Caro leaves and Aldo tells Lety: "This will be an unforgettable night, I promise!"

How can you guys get on Lety for enjoying a guy like this? If your heart were broken, wouldn't you enjoy a distraction of this magnitude? Cut them both some slack! I'm sure Fern and Lety will end up together so let's just relax and enjoy the ride...

Labels:


Comments:
I totally agree that Aldo is one Hottie in his tux, and can also understand how Lettie could be facinated by his attentions-especially Public attentions that she has never really had before. That said, My heart goes out to Fernando, his mistakes and misery over his "Lety-Less" life! Let's face it, he screwed up, but a flawed HERO who is truly repentant...Who can resist that? Que Viva Fernando y Lety para siempre!!
Thanks for the Super Speedy Recap!
 

I found the staffordshire breed. Not everyone's taste, but I think the one in the photo is quite handsome.
 

I'm certainly not getting on Lety for enjoying Aldo... for now. :-)

I had planned to FF through both songs. I did find the first song to be very skippable, but the second one I had to rewind and listen again... made me cry. Snif!

As for Fern - wow. Not everyone can look that good with a black eye.
 

sorry, I begrudge lety for accepting the attention from Aldo. I think that her interest in him takes away from the sweet nievity she had with Fernando and when she returns to him, she will be wiser, more mature and less innocent appearing, which is the opposite of what attracted him to her.
 

Ellen said...
Staffordshire is fine English china. I assumed Omar was referring to Fer's fragile and breakable state. And I agree that we should just enjoy the nonsense and know that Fer and Lety will absolutely end up together.

10:12 AM
 

Found the above comment on Carmel's intro post so I copied it over assuming it was meant for here...
 

I can understand Lety enjoying Aldo's attention but I think she is leading him on which, since she knows he has also been hurt, bothers me.

Re the beauty contest and the all white crowd, that has always bugged me about Mexican novelas. They tend to pander to the minority white population while the vast majority of people are darker and in many cases more interesting to see. End of PC commentary.

Anyway did anyone else think it was a little ridiculous with that mob of people in the room, no one but Fern noticed Lety? And oh so strict Robopop front and center watching the pagent when he really had no way of knowing his "queen" would be there.

If I had been Marcia I would have put a gag on Oxi who thank heavens covered herself with a pillow and saved us a Brittany Spears shot, at least with underwear.

In my book Fern took a couple of big steps toward growing up first by admiting that he lost Lety because of his own stupidty and then passing on going to the bar.

I loved the fact that he kept looking at that horrible picture and then put it back in his wallet instead of tearing it up or stomping all over it like Lety did.
 

Beatiful Recap --thank you.

Fernando is soooo insensitive to people. He just doesn't consider how his actions impact other people. Even though I don't like Marcia, I felt sorry for her when she saw the suitcase still on her bed. Fernando only thinks of himself and wasn't thinking how leaving the suitcase could affect Marcia after she told him to pack it up. Fern also is in total disregard of Julietta. Holy moly..the woman told him to leave them alone and Fern just keeps to his agenda. Doesn't matter what people say to him (oh, yeah, he DOES listen to Omar) he just bulldozes his way over people and their feelings. Fern needs to have a talk with Psychic Guy AND Aldo to get in touch with his sensitive side.

Aldo did look extra dreamy in his tux. What a great guy he is...in love with Lety yet able to comfort her when she cries over another man. Yes, this IS a novellaland fairytale.
 

I swear I am waiting for the day that some woman brings that twit Omar to his knees. He is always so smug and mocking that it would only be just if Fern could someday rag on him about going gaga over a woman.

Janet
 

Of course Aldo looked great in a tux. Juan Soler was a model for years and obviously knows how to wear nice clothes even if those shorts don't look so great. I did think he looked a little uncomfortable during the songs and a couple of his smiles looked a little forced to me when I watched the tapes again this morning.
 

I'm no so sure that Fern rides roughshod over people as much as the fact that he is so lost and confused he has become relentless in trying to find Lety and tell her the whole story. He is hurting so much he can't seem to think about other people.

Diane
 

Aldo's smiles did look forced - I wondered what that was all about! I thought maybe the songs were making him sad, or he was thinking about how they made Lety feel? (Or maybe it's that his bowtie was choking him!)

Of course it was ridiculous that no else one noticed Lety on TV - that's why it was so funny. Everyone was so fascinated with Fern's face. And Alicia was too busy nagging Marcia about not looking at the TV. :-)

I don't think it was strange for Erasmo to be watching the pageant, though. The pageants are very popular, so he probably would have been watching it even if Lety were not there; but, since the cameras often linger on people in the crowd, it was reasonable for him to hope to see Lety.

I was hoping that Dad's shouted comment about Lety while Julieta was on the phone would have tipped off those two morons, the brain trust of Conceptos, as to where Lety might be. I think they even mulled it over a tiny bit. But nooooooo.

As for Staffordshire china - yeah, I can see that. He's in no condition for another rumble. :-) But Omar did say "fighting dog." We just don't know them as Staffordshires. We know 'em as bull terriers.
 

Julie, thanks for mentioning the "fighting dog." I didn't catch that. Being that my great grandparents came from England, Staffordshire china was my first thought. And K, thanks for moving my first comment. Sometimes I wonder how I find these recaps since obviously I'm not a computer whiz. But thank heavens, I find them because every day I enjoy all the comments. All of you recappers and commentors are smart, sensitive, insightful and funny!
 

Terrific recap, Melinama! I still like Aldo, too. I am conflicted, though.

That Staffordshire dog is one perro feo! Maybe there's a link here (grin). Julie, thanks for clarifying that, because I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Omar was talking about a little Staffordshire china dog. Duh!

I am glad that Fern is telling himself he messed up big time and has lost Lety because of his own actions. That might be the first step to having a heart.

Jeanne
 

Staffordshire is the proper name for a Pit Bull, which I believe Omar was referring to since he's been teasing Fern about fighting so much.
 

Fernando just can't catch a break.He's tries to get up,and then he's smacked down again.Payback to our favorite man of LFMB has become a real bitch.Just like a phoenix he will rise again, but in telenovelaland that will take awhile..Don't think Lety is thru punishing him as yet..He'll learn it doesn't pay to mess with Lety's heart.

I think Fernando's vulnerability will put him right back in bed with the wicked witch of the west Marcia before this nights episode is over..Will have to remote away from that..Maureen
 

That "color de hormiga" is a stumper. I looked in my Streetwise Spanish (nada), Pequeno Larousse (lots of idioms for hormiga and color but nothing that matched) and then my Big Red Book of Spanish Idioms...again, "zip".
Could he have meant he's working like a dog (industrious ant) to try and find Lety and she's obstructing him...or is he black and blue all over because of this impasse (lots of ants are black)...or is he turning red with shame (red ants) bothering her for Lety's whereabouts...but he MUST....dunno. Is there a native speaker out there with a clue? Judy
 

I thought maybe Aldo looked uncomfortable because he could tell that Lety was thinking about Fernando. Aldo comes across to me as such a nice, sunny guy -- an interesting contrast to Fernando, who is more sarcastic.
 

"I swear I am waiting for the day that some woman brings that twit Omar to his knees."
I'll take that - if Fernando doesn't beat the living daylights out of him first.
Re the pageant, I find it a little hard to believe (even in Telenovelaland) that the camera would linger repeatedly on Lety and only Erasmo and Fernando notice. But there's still tonight's exciting episode -- Darth Tere is watching the pageant, she might notice. It would give Julissa another opportunity to use Surprised Reaction No. 2 again.
 

So far, Aldo is a dream come true for Lety & her broken heart. He does look much better in a tux than in short shorts. I was glad to see that Lety still loves Fernando,& Aldo realizes that(the scene w/ 2nd song was so sad).
Even though he's down, Fer's still humorous-it was so funny when he said the whole world was hanging up on him! Wish he wouldn't go back to Marcia - she deserves someone who really loves her, not a guy who doesn't want to be alone.
 

I certainly hope he doesn't fall back in bed with Marcia tonight. I hate pity ****s. I just hope he packs his bags and goes home to think things through. Where is Psycic Guy when we need him to warn Fern not to make another mistake.
 

"Esta poniendo esto color de hormiga" references the red or fire ant. This particular ant has a tendency to get out of control and/or angry, so when Fernando says "Don't complicate things, esta poniendo esto color de hormiga" he might be saying that if things get too complicated they will be out of control. Or something like that. The phrase is also used when people discuss subjects and the discussion gets out of control and leads to angry feelings.

My friend Maria helped me with this translation. I didn't know what in the heck it meant but I love these dichos. Hope this helps.
 

I actually didn't watch this episode completely yet, but Maria's translation sounds right to me. That is what I understood, that if something is "putting the color of ants", it's turning red, getting fired up and angry and about to inflict or inflicting a lot of pain! If you've ever been bitten by those little buggers (fire ants) man you know what I mean!! Painful and maddeningly annoying at the same time!!!
 

Ah, fire ants. They have jaws, stingers, AND venom. I stepped on a fire ant mound once, and still had scars a few years later (all gone now). Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to add fire ants into the mix.
 

I'd be surprised if Fernando and Marcia got together for a pity party between the sheets. He hasn't been able to get physical with her since he started romancing Lety. But I'm sure our friend Jorge (aka Pychic Guy) will be back to give more unheeded advice.
 

Sylvia, thanks for clearing that up. My sweet, little old deaf mother-in-law stepped out of a car one time at a picnic directly onto a fire ant hill. I noticed it a little too late to sign to her to stay in the car and we'd move forward; she was such a slowpoke (aging and the effects of meningitis at age 4) that she was well and truly stung up and down her legs before we could get her away from it. Both my husband and I watched where we parked more carefully after that and where we let her walk.

I suppose Fernando was saying, "don't step on that fire ant hill" in a sense. Life is already tough enough.

Carmel, I also thought Aldo was very uncomfortable with the thought that Lety was grieving again, and perhaps he was also alarmed. He is finally recovering and hopeful that Lety will care for him as much as he feels he cares for her....I am sure he doesn't want the memory of Fernando in her brain.

Jeanne
 

We all know deep down that Aldo is the perfect man. We just don't want him with Lety. He is kind,thoughtful, handsome,talented and did I say handsome.
I want Lety & Fernando to be together but I don't want to see Aldo hurt either.
Oh, and please Fernando, don't sleep with Marcia. Have some control.
 

I just wanted to tell you that I love your recaps. They are very good and one would never guess that you don't know Spanish. I love them and your commentary always makes me laugh. In reply to your what does "ant color" signify??], it is referring to red ants or fire ants. They are very agresive and sting. Omar (he was the one who said it right) was referring to the situation, that it was going to get very bad/ugly.
 

Mama T. is looking an awfully lot like Darth V.
Marcia with her new "do" is reminding me a lot of Morticia from the Adam's Family.
Alicia is busting out more and more each day and her waist seems destined to disappear altogether. Tomas could tone down is pompadour but he and Mama J. are a very funny team.
I have way too much to speculate on while waiting for the really important stuff with Fern and Lety to return.
I miss the good old days when their passion made for a really happy show and I could sit and watch sighing and drooling over each kiss!!!

Carrie L.
 

The 2011 discussion for Capitulos 187 & 188 is at this link.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder